PDA

View Full Version : Television Screens...

Apple
September 11th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Right, my family owns a cathode ray TV (the old bulky ones) and I was always told not to hit it when I was a kid (because apparently it would break). I've bumped into it more times than I could count by accident because of the way it was placed. I also admit to punching it a couple of times out of curiosity. Thing is, it never broke.

Now that I'm older, I'm seeing all these wiimotes getting thrown at LCD TVs and the screens shattering on impact. I was wondering how much force is necessary to break a typical Cathode ray tv screen, and how much force is necessary to break a LCD one? Are LCD TV screens really that much less durable than Cathode ray ones?

Also, what are the dangers resulting from doing either of the two?

anamesis
September 11th, 2011, 05:17 AM
The Cathode Ray Tube, CRT monitor/screen generally has a glass screen which is pretty durable.

The newer LCD screen are often made using sheets of plastic and LCD fluid, hence the naming conventions for the two.

Throwing a wiimote at a CRT would probably break it as well :/

Anyways, the reason why CRT's are dangerous is because they are usually under pressure (the glass is being pressed against the frame of the tv) and because they often contain toxic chemicals such as cadmium and the leaded glass of most rear tubes.

better yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathode_ray_tube

RoadBuster
September 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
Depending on the CRT, it can take quite a bit of force. Purely in the interest of Science, I once took a monitor that didn't work to a range and fired a few rounds of various calibers into it. Surprisingly enough, a .22 LR would not penetrate it. ...Ah, the .357 Magnum did, though.

SeiKeo
September 11th, 2011, 05:20 PM
CRTs can take .22 rounds? Darn.

anamesis
September 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Obviously this was FOR SCIENCE!

This thread is now about destroying CRT monitors.

Counterguardian
September 11th, 2011, 11:29 PM
Depending on the CRT, it can take quite a bit of force. Purely in the interest of Science, I once took a monitor that didn't work to a range and fired a few rounds of various calibers into it. Surprisingly enough, a .22 LR would not penetrate it. ...Ah, the .357 Magnum did, though.

Whoa.

Blue
September 13th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I should add that to my list of things to do before I die...