PDA

View Full Version : Acen 2011

Elf
March 15th, 2011, 11:13 PM
This year Roadbuster and I are going to ACEN in Chicago. It's May 20-22.

Read more about it here:
http://www.acen.org/

It could be rather bad assed if we got a Beast's Lair meet up.

ttestagr
March 16th, 2011, 12:22 AM
The only con I'm sure for is New York Anime Festival (and Comic Con.) Some friends are trying to drum up interest in Conneticon as well, so I may try for that one as well. Chicago definitely isn't happening though. Not unless I win the lottery.

Hoster
March 16th, 2011, 03:26 AM
Would be fun, it's getting there and having the time off from work that is going to be the problem...

KENTA
March 17th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I was supposed to go to this with RB and Elf.

;_;

Elf
March 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
I was supposed to go to this with RB and Elf.

;_;

But no, your family gave you some sort of obligation or something . . . Now you get to miss all the fun. Not to mention the 500 bucks I'm dropping for doujin.

Kotonoha
March 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM
500 bucks? Are these doujinshi printed on DIAMONDS?

Elf
March 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
500 bucks? Are these doujinshi printed on DIAMONDS?

Well, when you buy a large quantity of anything, the total amount spent racks up.

Kotonoha
March 17th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Still, either they're selling them for pretty high or that's a LOT of doujinshi...

Elf
March 17th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Still, either they're selling them for pretty high or that's a LOT of doujinshi...

More of the latter.

I placed a HUGE doujin order.

ttestagr
March 17th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I don't think I've ever spent that much in a dealer's room period, much less on one thing. My total spendings when I went to Otacon were more considering hotel and Amtrak, but that is it.

Elf
March 18th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Hehe, Roadbuster probably has and more in his younger days. Besides, I never indulge myself so . . . Besides, the doujin seller actually recognizes me when I go to cons.

Tesculpture
March 18th, 2011, 01:46 AM
Does he know what to give you before you even say anything? I once knew a cookie shop owner who did that.

RoadBuster
March 18th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Well, a number of those are mine as well. Not to mention I estimated way high just to be safe.

Elf
March 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM
But the seller is way cool. He lets me look at stuff before I buy and everything. You know how most doujins you have to go by the cover and sometimes the cover's really deceptive? Not with him. He'll pull it out of it's sleeve and let me look before I buy, which is really awesome.

And not to mention we don't know how many of those he'll be able to get.

Altima of the Gates
March 18th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Although I couldn't buy anything at Otacon last year, the last time I went, I only spend about $200 at the dealer room, including swords (yes, swords), doujins, artwork, and DVDs. But I could understand why your doujin pricetag would be so high. Some run about $25-$35 bucks each. Still a lot, lol. Doesn't he over some discounts for such a valued customer?

Mike1984
March 18th, 2011, 02:10 PM
But the seller is way cool. He lets me look at stuff before I buy and everything. You know how most doujins you have to go by the cover and sometimes the cover's really deceptive? Not with him. He'll pull it out of it's sleeve and let me look before I buy, which is really awesome.

Yeah, I'd never buy a doujin just based on the cover. I've been disappointed enough times by doujins I've downloaded that way (for instance, the number which show either Sakura or someone tied up on the cover and then don't involve her/bondage in any way in the actual story (barring one or two pages) is just ridiculous).

Gilgamesh
March 18th, 2011, 02:11 PM
I've only been to one convention in my lifetime so far, but when I went there I did drop about $300. Between figures, manga, shirts, and various Japanese imports of stuff, I spent every last dollar I brought, and I spent none of it on any food or drink. lol

Although $500 on JUST doujins is insane.

Although the idea of a doujin printed on diamonds is quite amusing.

Altima of the Gates
March 18th, 2011, 04:32 PM
I've only been to one convention in my lifetime so far, but when I went there I did drop about $300. Between figures, manga, shirts, and various Japanese imports of stuff, I spent every last dollar I brought, and I spent none of it on any food or drink. lol

I hope you only went for one day and didn't starve yourself, lol.

Gilgamesh
March 18th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I hope you only went for one day and didn't starve yourself, lol.

Yep. Just a day. No money for a hotel room. lol

Actually, I was really only there for like 4 hours. 2 of which were spent waiting for the Dealer's Room to open.

KENTA
March 18th, 2011, 09:10 PM
But no, your family gave you some sort of obligation or something . . . Now you get to miss all the fun. Not to mention the 500 bucks I'm dropping for doujin.

Stupid wedding.....that likely isn't even happening, but I have to "be safe"....bastards.

ttestagr
March 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Every con has a few instances of someone skipping food and drinks and passing out. Its a trip to the hospital and usually a missed day. Happened to me once, though not because of lack of sustenance. I was lucky enough that my hospital trip was at night, so I used truly obscene amounts of caffeine to not miss the next day.

RoadBuster
March 19th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Stupid wedding.....that likely isn't even happening, but I have to "be safe"....bastards.

If things change, let me know, man. We'll do whatever it takes to accommodate ya

Elf
March 19th, 2011, 01:22 AM
If things change, let me know, man. We'll do whatever it takes to accommodate ya

Including violence. Or rather, especially violence.

Kotonoha
March 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Some run about $25-$35 bucks each

?!

Maybe if they're really rare ones by some super famous artist I can understand, but that's ridiculous.

Gilgamesh
March 19th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Isn't a doujin typically $5... maybe $10? I've never actually bought one, but that was my impression.

KENTA
March 21st, 2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks Bustermod, if things change I'll let you know, I just don't expect it to.

lilithsama
March 21st, 2011, 06:57 PM
?!

Maybe if they're really rare ones by some super famous artist I can understand, but that's ridiculous.

Isn't a doujin typically $5... maybe $10? I've never actually bought one, but that was my impression.

at cons ive been to doujin usually runs about 20+, so the 25-35 pricetag isnt really that bizarre

Kotonoha
March 22nd, 2011, 08:30 AM
Doujinshi should not be $20. They're just fanfics that are sold at enough price to pay back the cost of printing them.

RoadBuster
March 22nd, 2011, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but getting them over here and making a profit on them will jack that up really quick.

Kotonoha
March 22nd, 2011, 10:48 AM
Maybe they should figure out that doujin isn't meant to be profitable?

Fatuous One
March 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
Well, if you buy doujin imported, you'll likely spend around $40-50 on them easily, even for common ones. I once spent around $80 for a single doujin because it was 3 three years old. It's even more expensive nowadays...

With that in mind, $20 is really not so bad...

Tesculpture
March 22nd, 2011, 06:27 PM
Maybe they should figure out that doujin isn't meant to be profitable?

I once read a magazine article on this sort of thing. They know it isn't meant to be, but it's done anyway, from what I understand because trying to stop them would cause as many problems as it would solve.

That said, I'm all for cheaper pricing. If only Morton Coutts was still around and a Manga fan; he could probably solve this problem...

Lavender
April 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM
I plan on going...!

...So long as I get my badge in the mail, which I still await.

Elf
May 13th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Next week at this time I will hopefully be swimming in doujin.