PDA

View Full Version : River Monsters

Theocrass
September 29th, 2011, 11:32 AM
For shame BL!

For shame!

I'm disappointed that no one else has thought to make this thread!

Well, no matter. I've just rectified that grievous error.

So, here it is! A discussion thread for River Monsters, where we can discuss the latest episodes, gush over Jeremy Wade, talk about some of our favorite monsters from the show, gush over Jeremy Wade, talk about some of our favorite episodes, gush over Jeremy Wade, talk about which monsters scared us the most, and gush over Jeremy Wade.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the subject matter, River Monsters follows Jeremy Wade on his quest to discover monstrous freshwater fish and separate fact from fiction.

What sets River Monsters apart from many of these other so-called monster shows or shows that search out ghosts or other supernatural phenomena, is that it’s not a circle jerk without the payoff. There are no open-ended resolutions, unexplained occurrences nor hyped-up drama that ultimately lead to absolutely nothing. Jeremy Wade goes all over the globe in search of these fish, and episode after episode, he delivers them. I’ve seen him catch things with gills and teeth that look like they should be featured on a bad Syfy Original Movie.
The episodes are always produced well, with nice cinematography in some pretty remote locales. Wade is a natural host, with his soft but confident British accent narrating you through the set up of the fish he’s seeking. Wade isn’t one of these excitable hosts who need to hype himself, his target or the situation in order to make for entertaining TV. He presents the episode matter-of-factly, from a scientist’s and angler’s perspective, and a nice methodical exploration of all possibilities. River Monsters makes good use of reenactments and interviews with locals to set up the legend of that week’s particular fish.

Read more: http://guy.com/2011/04/13/tv-review-river-monsters-the-mutilator/#ixzz1ZM7jhldI

If that's not enough for you, there are loads of clips from the show on Youtube.
(http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB81FC1850B23B87D)
So, now that's done with, let's start up the discussion!

Jeremy Wade, badass fisherman or most badass fisherman?

Techlet
September 29th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Jeremy Wade, badass. Period.

Theocrass
September 29th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Yesssssssssssss~

*Tech has unlocked Theo route!*

This is a man who willing bathes with hungry Piranhas and offers himself as bait to vicious eels.

SeiKeo
September 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
> Implying unlocking Theo route takes any effort.

StardustReverie
September 29th, 2011, 12:30 PM
This guy, Jeremy Wade, has the guts to catch this fish. Are you man enough to catch them?

Theocrass
September 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM
> Implying unlocking Theo route takes any effort.
If you don't watch River Monsters, and have no interest in doing so, then begone from this place! >:U

... meanie. ;-;

This guy, Jeremy Wade, has the guts to catch this fish. Are you man enough to catch them?

I'd be game to try some of the smaller fish he occasionally hooks. ^_^

Neir
September 29th, 2011, 12:34 PM
THEO YOU AREN'T STUDYING GET BACK TO STUDYING

Theocrass
September 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
BUT RIVER MONSTERS NEIR! ;C;

... fine!

*Pouts.*

Watch an episode of River Monsters for me~

Techlet
September 29th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Jeremy Wade can catch them all.

Neir
September 29th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I'm not pleased by River Monsters. I feel like it's yet another attempt to jump on the Steve Irwin bandwagon. After crocodile hunter took off, there was an explosion of similar shows.

RR121
September 29th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I miss Steve.

CRIKEY!

Theocrass
September 29th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Jeremy Wade can catch them all.

Jeremy Wade versus Gyarados

I'm not pleased by River Monsters. I feel like it's yet another attempt to jump on the Steve Irwin bandwagon. After crocodile hunter took off, there was an explosion of similar shows.

It's been awhile since that happened. I don't see River Monsters as trying to do that. For one, the shows are very different from each other. Have you even seen the show?

It's very entertaining, and he's very dedicated to promoting the acceptance and understanding of the animals he finds. He's been doing this his whole life, actually. He's been badassing it out there in the big blue world since his 20's.

I miss Steve.

CRIKEY!

Don't we all.

King Rorthur
September 29th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Large fishies, make for good meals.

Theocrass
September 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
They hold you in similar regard. :neco_arc:

ItsaRandomUsername
September 29th, 2011, 08:07 PM
http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/killer-fish-photos/images/goliath-tigerfish-photo-01.jpg

...I soiled myself.

Theocrass
September 29th, 2011, 08:10 PM
That's the one that hunts crocodiles.

ItsaRandomUsername
September 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hence the soiling of my trousers.

Theocrass
September 29th, 2011, 08:26 PM
http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/images/wolf-fish-324x205.jpg

The one that just doesn't give a fuck.

The Killer Wolf Fish.

That thing will actually jump out of the water and put itself in danger just so it can take a chunk out of you.

Marth
September 29th, 2011, 11:40 PM
http://troll.me/images/fluttershy-is-shocked-and-appalled-2/why-would-you-post-that.jpg

RoadBuster
September 30th, 2011, 12:14 AM
I see this guy as a real life Race Bannon.

Marth
September 30th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I read his last name as 'Bacon', at first. Hmmm....

nununu
September 30th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Even GAR fish aren't safe from this guy.
http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/alligator-gar/images/alligator-gar-324x205.jpg

RoadBuster
September 30th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips.

Theocrass
September 30th, 2011, 12:57 AM
http://troll.me/images/fluttershy-is-shocked-and-appalled-2/why-would-you-post-that.jpg
Post what?

I see this guy as a real life Race Bannon.
That is ... an astonishingly appropriate example.

Even GAR fish aren't safe from this guy.
http://animal.discovery.com/fish/river-monsters/alligator-gar/images/alligator-gar-324x205.jpg
Who will fall to Jeremy's pole next? Will it be Archer?

Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips. Bacon Strips.
Oh God

Epic Meal Time + River Monsters = A match made in the fish version of Hell

Techlet
September 30th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Epic Meal Time + River Monsters = A match made in the fish version of Hell

The internets is not ready for this!

Theocrass
September 30th, 2011, 01:08 AM
The internets is not ready for this!
*Nods*

Definitely not.

We must never speak of it again!

Never again!

Marth
September 30th, 2011, 01:16 AM

http://legacy-cdn.smosh.com/smosh-pit/082010/baconmotivator-30.jpg

Theocrass
September 30th, 2011, 01:20 AM
Goonch cooked in bacon ... NO! BAD THEO! BAD!

I SAID NEVER AGAIN DAMNIT!

NEVER AGAIN!

MY BRAIN CAN'T HANDLE IT!

@ Marth: You never told me what you were referring to when you said "Why would you post that?"

Marth
September 30th, 2011, 01:21 AM
http://i.imgur.com/NXdWs.jpg

Theocrass
September 30th, 2011, 01:23 AM
http://i.imgur.com/NXdWs.jpg

XP

Are you ever going to tell me?

Do you even watch this show?

Apple
September 30th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Lead is a healthy component in any man's nutritional breakfast.

Theocrass
September 30th, 2011, 02:18 PM
This is a thread for River Monsters.

There is not enough River Monsters discussion here. D:

OKAY

QUESTION TIME

WHICH MONSTER WOULD YOU BE COMFORTABLE SWIMMING WITH

For me?

Alligator Gar.

StardustReverie
September 30th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Catfish.

Theocrass
September 30th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Which one? XD

Piraiba, Goonch, Wels, etc ... ?

The first three are all man eaters, btw. Once they get big enough, at least.

nununu
September 30th, 2011, 11:34 PM
Alligator Gar.

No fair. Those are relatively harmless.

Theocrass
September 30th, 2011, 11:42 PM
*Whistles innocently.*

What are you talking about? Those monsters would eat me alive. :3

nununu
September 30th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I remember an episode where he went to a really wild river. Really wild river. Where the locals jump in with nets.

Can't remember the name of the place or the fish he was after. :3

Theocrass
October 1st, 2011, 12:07 AM
Was it the Wild River? XP

nununu
October 1st, 2011, 12:15 AM
I think it was the Goliath Tigerfish. Not sure though.

Theocrass
October 1st, 2011, 12:25 AM
I think it was the Goliath Tigerfish. Not sure though.

The one that hunts crocodiles?

Why on earth would you want to be around them? D:

Elf
October 1st, 2011, 12:29 AM
God, Jeremy Wade is . . . like real life GAR, and I don't mean the fish. (Ironically, Gar are rather benign if that one episode says anything.)

When I was a kid, when I played pretend I was imagining I was doing stuff like Jeremy Wade was. When I was a kid I wanted to be an ichthyologist, a scientist who studies fish. Like Dr. Axelrod, who has been mentioned on the show before.

So just the premise of the show alone gets me watching and then to be hosted by Jeremy Wade? Some weathered English guy who gets fucking MALARIA on his quest and still keeps going . . .

Yeah, the crush was pretty much instant.

Plus, the man's gone fishing for Bull Sharks. I love Bull Sharks.

nununu
October 1st, 2011, 12:30 AM
This reminds me of that 7-meter 1-ton saltwater croc found in an inlet down south recently. And no, I don't think it's a good idea for him to go hunting for the bigger one that's supposedly still around.

When I saw it on the news I was like: o_O Lake Placid.

Techlet
October 1st, 2011, 12:58 AM
When I was a kid, when I played pretend I was imagining I was doing stuff like Jeremy Wade was. When I was a kid I wanted to be an ichthyologist, a scientist who studies fish. Like Dr. Axelrod, who has been mentioned on the show before.

Wade... Axelrod...

WHY DO THEY HAVE SUCH COOL NAMES?!

Theocrass
October 1st, 2011, 12:59 AM
God, Jeremy Wade is . . . like real life GAR, and I don't mean the fish. (Ironically, Gar are rather benign if that one episode says anything.)

So just the premise of the show alone gets me watching and then to be hosted by Jeremy Wade? Some weathered English guy who gets fucking MALARIA on his quest and still keeps going . . .

Yeah, the crush was pretty much instant.

Plus, the man's gone fishing for Bull Sharks. I love Bull Sharks.

Yes, he is definitely a genuine badass. I proudly admit to having a man crush on him.

This reminds me of that 7-meter 1-ton saltwater croc found in an inlet down south recently. And no, I don't think it's a good idea for him to go hunting for the bigger one that's supposedly still around.

I don't think he'll ever go after Crocs.

Elf
October 1st, 2011, 01:08 AM
He goes after fish, giant monster fish.

I remember the episode where he did everything else in the Amazon that could kill that wasn't a piranha. That was some nightmare fuel right there.

Tiny catfish swimming up one's urethra and then holding itself secure before DYING inside of you.

Catfish eating it's prey from the inside out . . .

Nightmare Fuel.

Theocrass
October 1st, 2011, 01:47 AM
Wade... Axelrod...

WHY DO THEY HAVE SUCH COOL NAMES?!
Because badass.

He goes after fish, giant monster fish.

I remember the episode where he did everything else in the Amazon that could kill that wasn't a piranha. That was some nightmare fuel right there.

Tiny catfish swimming up one's urethra and then holding itself secure before DYING inside of you.

Catfish eating it's prey from the inside out . . .

Nightmare Fuel.

I think the scariest one for me was the .... electric eel, maybe.

Did you see the size of the one he pulled out at the end?!

Although, that red coloration it had was absolutely gorgeous.

Wait, strike that. The Killer Wolf Fish was definitely the most frightening.

That fish was almost ludicrously aggressive. It will jump out of the water just to mess your shit up.

Elf
October 1st, 2011, 02:01 AM
Man, I haven't gotten to see the current season because I don't have cable anymore.

I've seen the first two seasons though. I liked the episode with the giant freshwater stingray. I had no idea there was such a creature until that episode.

And lol, Dr. Axelrod was a bad ass. He made a point to have himself filmed standing in a school of piranha to show they weren't the blood thirsty monsters that Teddy Roosevelt said they were.

Theocrass
October 1st, 2011, 02:05 AM
There are loads of clips on Youtube, and that includes clips from the third season.

I think I even put a link to a list of clips in the first post. Though, it's not quite the same experience as watching an entire episode.

Elf
October 7th, 2011, 01:23 AM
Another thing that I think is awesome about Jeremy Wade: He doesn't kill what he catches.

Most cases he always lets him go, which pisses some people off along the way, but he generally lets the fish he catches go. Except for that one time in Africa because the struggle killed the fish, and even then he stood for like an hour trying to help it get swimming again. That just makes him even cooler.

Theocrass
October 7th, 2011, 02:59 AM
And that fish was used to feed an entire village, even.

It was quite the mighty beast.

A Goliath Tigerfish, actually.

nununu
October 24th, 2011, 05:54 AM
Just watched the Japan episode this afternoon. His targets were (another)catfish and kappa. He went home with a osanshouo(Japanese giant salamander). He kept calling it hanzaki though.
http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles3/1639505/article_images/giantjapanesesalamander04625x450.jpg

Elf
October 29th, 2011, 03:14 AM
Oh god, I want it! I'd take it home and call it Fred.

Theocrass
April 16th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Nice catch!

Also, has anyone been keeping up with the latest season?

I'm a little tired of Bull Shark episodes (granted, it was a different location every time an episode was about them).

The season premiere was a 2 hour long episode about man eaters in America. It was pretty much retreading familiar ground. He searched for Bull Sharks in Florida and more Alligator Gar, but he also looked for killer Catfish in the South (of the US).

The catfish weren't terribly big (only 50 pounders), but he managed to make me reasonably sure that they could and did kill people.

Elf
April 17th, 2012, 12:47 AM
I'm a little tired of Bull Shark episodes (granted, it was a different location every time an episode was about them).

I love the episodes about Bull Sharks though! Then again, they are my favorite fish. So bad assed.

Elf
October 5th, 2013, 01:40 AM
Okay, yeah, this is a bit of necroing, but . . . the latest season came on Netflix.

First episode already has Bull Sharks and monster Alligator Gar.

Plus, I always love it when he goes out to catch one thing, and ends up catching something else that's really awesome and unexpected. Like the grouper or the red tailed catfish in the Amazon.