PDA

View Full Version : Admit your GMing biases

Erlkonig
October 10th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Also known as
LINERS FUCK YEAH

I like my reasonable PC submissions thank you very much. I don't have the time NOR the humour to deal with somebody who tries to make the most out of char creation.

Also, I tend to like those who rely on well-written RPing quality and give detailed commands to defeat foes than those who try to overwhelm them with sheer power.

I fucking LOVE grimderp, but it's always funnier to slowly turn the GRIMDERP into NOBLEBRIGHT.

Neir
October 10th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I tend to punish people who think they can work the system to be OP.

SeiKeo
October 10th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I like my reasonable PC submissions thank you very much. I don't have the time NOR the humour to deal with somebody who tries to make the most out of char creation.

Yeah. That I can kind of deal with, but I do dislike arguing against a power change.

Five_X
October 10th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Goddamn rules lawyers. GURPS works however I want it to; half the rules are optional!

Remember the good ol' days, when players couldn't read the DMG and such?

SeiKeo
October 10th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Ah, the days when players didn't try to GM for you...

Neir
October 10th, 2011, 06:58 PM
People should try to make reasonable characters :(

RacingeR
October 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Also, I tend to like those who rely on well-written RPing quality and give detailed commands to defeat foes than those who try to overwhelm them with sheer power.

Pretty much this, with some added things.

First over, I flat out don't accept players with powers that are ultra exploiteable to break the plot or to completely and utterly screw someone. Mind control? Memory manipulation? That kind of shit does not fly with me.

Second, the more powerful your character is, the more powerful your foes will be. It is a pretty simple rule, because curbstomps are the epitome of BORING.

I also tend to favor quality in the posts. The more well written, but at the same time CLEAR, the better.

Lotus Saint
October 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM
Step over the line and I'll have your character raped nonstop for days by gang members while their mother dies a slow and painful death of cancer.

First over, I flat out don't accept players with powers that are ultra exploiteable to break the plot or to completely and utterly screw someone

Mellon says hi.

Mellon
October 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Mellon says hi.

Fuck you, Lotus. The only person with any right to be on my case is Erl and that was his fault as much as mine.

God damn. I swear, with half the GMs here, Fate and Tsuki would have never happened.

All we would have heard was "baww, Berserker too strong" and "Bazett, Shiki and Shirou too broken". As long as the ability is interesting enough, there is no issue with it being powerful. It is just a game of balancing. If an ability is too strong, you add weaknesses in other areas. Shirou is balanced by having no prana. Bazett is balanced with having a stupidly weak Servant. Berserker is balanced by having no brains.

Saying something is "too powerful and that is that" is just an alternative to saying that you are too lazy to balance it properly. I find any "balance issues" doubly ridiculous in an RP that has variable powerlevels built in it to begin with. Your characters are not going to be "equally-powered" anyway. And if your system allows for characters that completely break your IG power-balance then there is something wrong with the system, not the player.

We might as well have characters that all have identical abilities for a "true balanced experience".

And for gods sake, pick a power level and stick to it when you are making an RP. Not swap it around every 2 days like an indecisive teenage girl.

hero
October 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I'm a profile reading addict.

Especially the 'Special Power' section (?).

Verg Avesta
October 11th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Agreeing with Mellon here. I have no qualms about special powers as long as they are well justified and well-worked out. And that they have reasonable drawbacks as well, since frankly, powers which make the character super OP make the RP dull. There are always two edges to a sword, and that's how it should be, if one wants the RP to be interesting. Some powers are excellent against some characters, but on the other hand, they might be completely useless against some characters. And for me, that's the beauty of RPs.

deviatesfish
October 11th, 2011, 09:10 AM
As a GM I tend to...

Never Let Players Die: Players who are in the game for the long haul are really in it for the long haul. While I do advice story and plot a lot and adapt to the players, I rarely allow them to be permanently kicked out of the game. I will do my best to either make opportunities for the players to get out of their about-to-die-predicaments or I will subtly dumb down some enemies. Or something like that. I actually don't do this consciously.

Torture The Players I Like: Players who I get to know and like after playing with them for a while are usually taking the blunt end of everything. Because I love them, they get tough love. Thus, the players I like are usually the first to experience the eldritch horrors of my games.

Torture All My Players: I like to have eldritch horrors everywhere and give the most emotionally painful experiences to my players when possible. I do this subconsciously.

Allow My Players Interesting, Overpowered Powers: This doesn't help them against the eldritch horrors much. The players don't usually see this coming.

Erlkonig
October 11th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Ok, so

Basically

Fish:
-Traps his players in and endless cycle of torture, pitted against horrifying eldritch horrors from the beyond, and never allows them to leave the game, as they cannot die, so they forever experience the tortue and nightmares of the RP.

...I think I just felt a cold chill crawl up my spine.

and that was his fault as much as mine.

Damn straight, I'm horrible at balance

Mike1984
October 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
As a GM I tend to...

Never Let Players Die: Players who are in the game for the long haul are really in it for the long haul. While I do advice story and plot a lot and adapt to the players, I rarely allow them to be permanently kicked out of the game. I will do my best to either make opportunities for the players to get out of their about-to-die-predicaments or I will subtly dumb down some enemies. Or something like that. I actually don't do this consciously.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, especially not in the early stages. Dying tends to somewhat ruin the game for the player in question....

Mellon
October 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM
This isn't necessarily a bad thing, though, especially not in the early stages. Dying tends to somewhat ruin the game for the player in question....

This.

You should strive to keep the characters alive for as long as is reasonably possible. Stupid deeds need appropriate reactions of course, but every character should be able to tell "their story" and influence the plot in some way at the very least.

If we are talking about Web-RPs.

SeiKeo
October 11th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Heck, I'd even go as far to say, the only way player death should happen is if the player does something truly stupid to deserve it. (doesn't apply to some kinds of RPs OFC)

Tobias
October 11th, 2011, 11:01 AM
iunno....I can understand a certain amount of leeway given, particularly at the beginning, but I think the threat of real character death improves the game because it forces you to RP as if your character actually had a normal fear of death.

Mellon
October 11th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Heck, I'd even go as far to say, the only way player death should happen is if the player does something truly stupid to deserve it. (doesn't apply to some kinds of RPs OFC)

I dont know about that... knowledge that "you will survive anyway" tends to dull the edge of RPs in my opinion.

Death should be a possibility (albeit a relatively distant one). Especially towards the end, when the stakes are rising.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Tobias.

Tobias
October 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
hey, 10000 posts.

SeiKeo
October 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
Fair enough, I suppose.

Mike1984
October 11th, 2011, 11:07 AM
iunno....I can understand a certain amount of leeway given, particularly at the beginning, but I think the threat of real character death improves the game because it forces you to RP as if your character actually had a normal fear of death.

Well, for an RP where there's no restarting, IMO it should be avoided where possible. The only real exceptions, IMO, are if the player does something that actually deserves it, you're nearing the end of the story (when things should get a bit more heated) or it's a result of a battle with another player and can't really be worked around in a reasonable manner.

DarkMAN
October 11th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I'm rather merciful to my players because, if I kill them in the first chapter, then what was the point of making the whole campaign?

Tobias
October 11th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Well I am not saying flag out kill everyone, but I don't think it's good to limit death only to the really stupid, a risk should be a risk. If you choose to walk into the creepy forest/pitch black cave with no weapons, allies, or supplies, that's a risk. Maybe a nice GM says something like "you feel a terrifying feeling/horrifying presence" but, you make a gamble, I think both characters and players should be worried about te outcome. If only to make them actually prepare for a risk.

I go back into town and buy a sword
I cut myself a torch and light it
I leave a trail of breadcrumbs so I can find my way out quickly
I ready my potion of expeditious retreat
I dress up in a disguise and make out with a dude.

You know, something.

Mike1984
October 11th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'd say that walking into a creepy forest with no weapons, allies or supplies counts as "really stupid", personally, particularly if you're warned beforehand.

Froggie
October 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Fishie ;__;

This is kind of weird for me to be writing since I only have one experience GMíing for others and itís on this very forum. Midnight Carnival is my first attempt at running a Web-RP so Iím not really sure Iíve developed any biases yet. Still, I think, over the course of developing it and writing updates for it, Iíve come to develop a feel for a few things I like to do.

1) As others have mentioned, Iím reluctant to kill characters early on. That is not to say that I make things easy for them. I try to make every encounter as challenging as possible. It will be harrowing, but everythingís survivable by playing ďsmartĒ. That is not to say that only ďstupidĒ characters will die. Itís entirely possible that sometimes, wellÖ

2) I donít like numbers and I donít like rolling dice to determine the success of actions. My decisions are pretty much arbitrary, based on a comparison between stat ranks and whatever I feel will enhance a scene. If missing an important attack will make a scene more dramatic, thatís what will happen. If hitting at the critical time that will change the tide of battle will make a scene more dramatic, thatís what will happen.

3) I donít like having GMPCís or giving out super-powered allies. The plot should be moved forward by the players, not by a GMPC magically taking the appropriate actions to move the plot forward. This removes the spotlight away from the players. I donít like that. Similarly, having god-like NPCs appear and solve everything for them? Not going to happen. The players are the protagonists and anything that diminishes their role as movers and shakers is not good in my book. Now, I realize I have powerful NPCs running around in Midnight Carnival and some of them are even friendly.

They wonít help you. And even if itís in character for them do so, and if you somehow manage to talk to them into helping you, Iíll just get more vicious and throw even worse things your way.

Struggle and bleed and gnash your teeth and fight. Give me a story to send shivers down my spine.

4) I give my players fair and explicit warning when theyíre about to do something that might end badly for them. Elyrin and Bloble can both attest to this.

5) It will come as no surprise that I like tragic developments. If any player heads in that direction, Iíll giddily cheer them on and pile on the misery.

6) I like overcoming terrible odds and arriving at both happy and bittersweet endings.

7) I donít make complicated plans ahead of time. Iím pretty much making up everything on the spot for each update.

8) I like being creepy and scaring players.

9) Diabolos and Deus Ex Machina.

Canít think of anything else. Time to go update Midnight Carnival. Port Island and SE Iwatodai, incoming.

Neir
October 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM
And for gods sake, pick a power level and stick to it when you are making an RP. Not swap it around every 2 days like an indecisive teenage girl.

Hi Mellon.

Mellon
October 11th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hi Mellon.

Hey Neir. :3

I was not referring to you, tbh. More to the general trend that seems to be quite widespread around here.

Neir
October 11th, 2011, 01:37 PM
oh. I know I did that, though. But that's mostly due to it the rp initially being a work in progress.

Mellon
October 11th, 2011, 01:41 PM
oh. I know I did that, though. But that's mostly due to it the rp initially being a work in progress.

You might want to remove/rewrite the "General Powerlevel" bit from the first post though. Might give a wrong idea to anyone making a character.

Neir
October 11th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Good call. I'll do that now.

RacingeR
October 11th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I generally agree with Verg and Mellon on the interesting powers approach. Still, I do think there are certain powers that are just too plot breaking and generally... well, let's just say that when you are the player on the receiving end of mind control or memory manipulation, you are not going to like it at all xP.

I generally tend to make my RPs pretty challenging, and the possibility of death is always present. I do tend to be merciful and sometimes go out of my way to save a character, but this has been pretty rare nowadays. As the stakes go up, it is pretty much natural that both PCs and NPCs start finding their survival harder and harder. I simply don't have problems with a PC death as long as it is natural, speaking in terms of setting and story, and there is no bullshit involved.

Also, I do suscribe a bit to Froggie's way, and I sometimes ignore stats or logic for the sake of dramatism or awesomeness. Leo can attest to that in Notes.

SeiKeo
October 11th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Also, I do suscribe a bit to Froggie's way, and I sometimes ignore stats or logic for the sake of dramatism or awesomeness. Leo can attest to that in Notes.

And I called ye on it. :D

RacingeR
October 11th, 2011, 05:22 PM
And I called ye on it. :D

Was it awesome, or was it not? :p.

Neir
October 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
The problem with 'interesting' powers is that they tend to be completely abusable.

SeiKeo
October 11th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Was it awesome, or was it not? :p.

It was significantly more awesome when I tanked it. :D

RacingeR
October 11th, 2011, 05:34 PM
It was significantly more awesome when I tanked it. :D

Remind me to talk with Erl about shields in general, though. They are a tad too sturdy.

SeiKeo
Remind me to talk with Erl about shields in general, though. They are a tad too sturdy.

You would say that. :p

Neir
ahahaha~

RacingeR
October 11th, 2011, 05:38 PM
You would say that. :p

Yes, because it is not like my character also has a shield too :/

SeiKeo
October 11th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Anyways, not really the place for it: I shouldn't have brought it up.

Lotus Saint
October 11th, 2011, 06:38 PM
In most of my RPs if you don't have 500/A+ LCK a pissed off Fire Giant will pop out of your box of pizza.

Tobias
October 11th, 2011, 06:43 PM
I'll say, I don't mind there being stronger characters, maybe even tougher then anticipated, but I can't agree with a deliberate attempt to game the system with the only justification being "it's cool" or "it's not my fault the GM left the loophole" no matter how interesting or unique the character.

Lotus Saint
October 11th, 2011, 06:46 PM
......Mel*Shot*

Satehi
October 12th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Ok, so

Basically

Fish:
-Traps his players in and endless cycle of torture, pitted against horrifying eldritch horrors from the beyond, and never allows them to leave the game, as they cannot die, so they forever experience the tortue and nightmares of the RP.

...I think I just felt a cold chill crawl up my spine.

You should look at the bright side, Erl: When things are going bad for you in Fishie's RP's, it's because Fishie likes you. :)

Lotus Saint
October 12th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Fishy LOVES you even more if you fight back.

RacingeR
October 12th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Is Fishie the ultimate embodiment of Yandere??

Lotus Saint
October 12th, 2011, 12:25 AM
Yandere is her main class.
And procrastinator is her sub class.

Erlkonig
October 12th, 2011, 05:21 AM
her

Ha

I3uster
September 3rd, 2012, 06:22 PM
There are more GMs now.

Share your wisdom.

Spinach
September 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
I have a terrible habit of not creating any RPs, but I think I do a good job with balancing my players.

Erlkonig
September 3rd, 2012, 06:50 PM
Shameless powerlevel wanking.

SeiKeo
September 3rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
Shameless powerlevel wanking.

Read being shounen.

Erlkonig
September 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM
Read being shounen.

it can't be helped UOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH

hero
September 3rd, 2012, 07:35 PM
[Jun/24/14:14:57] <hero> because I love to wank my character's players

^

Oh wait.

Lianru
September 3rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
^

Oh wait.
what about http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/member.php/13-hero <= this news article?

hero
September 3rd, 2012, 08:40 PM
Not bro, Lian.

Not bro.

;__;

Hyarion
September 3rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Dunno if I ever mentioned it, but I have an RP I work on every now and again without expecting that my writing skill will ever get high enough to actually, you know, GM it. There's also the little problem of finding enough people who know the subject material well enough, but yeah

...This all seemed relevant a second ago. Something about my GMing bias being a bias against myself GMing?

Satehi
September 3rd, 2012, 09:42 PM
What is the subject material, out of curiosity?

Hyarion
September 6th, 2012, 04:01 AM
The Silmarillion.

Ha, don't ask.

RacingeR
September 6th, 2012, 12:40 PM
The Silmarillion.

Ha, don't ask.

Consider me interested.