PDA

View Full Version : MOOK QUEST (In character actions)

deviatesfish
October 14th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Useless.

That’s the name your previous master gave you. You had just remembered it. For most of your life at this quaint little orphanage, you always thought your name was Eustace.

But last night, you dreamed of your master clearly, and in his dying words before he died of syphilis was that you were useless. He had found you, a first generation magus, very much wanting. Disappointment weighs heavy in your heart.

You wonder, perhaps it’s time to get a better name? Eustace is an awfully terrible name, since it reminds you so much of the past…

Yesterday, just the day before your eleventh birthday, you dreamed clearly of a night you had forgotten long since you have been in this orphanage.

You dreamed of your master, a magus. He had taught you just enough magecraft to change the color of your shirt red, nothing more.

From your dreams, you also remember, just a couple blocks away is your former master’s house. There, your former master hid his secret workshop. It should be too protected for those without magecraft to notice. There was also a place that he would take you to, to make communications with some kind of association. But you don’t remember clearly where it is, only a general idea of which direction to go…

…and now you think you are going mad.

There are voices in your head. So many voices… they seem to all have different goals, different desires, and different needs…

You wake up.

Tobias
October 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Man, my name isnt useless or eustace, its altima! Altima fagballs

Erlkonig
October 14th, 2011, 11:12 AM
I doze the fuck off again.

hero
October 14th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Helloooooooooooooo~ I'm the voice of justice and freedom~ I'm your friendly neighbor hero~

Your Master... Miss him you do... To his workshop you should go~

Neir
October 14th, 2011, 11:56 AM
IGNORE SAKURA IGNORE SAKURA IGNORE SAKURA IGNORE SAKURA IGNORE SAKURA IGNORE SAKURA IGNORE SAKURA

Have eggs for breakfast.

Kotonoha
October 14th, 2011, 12:01 PM
Go raid your master's workshop, Useless.

Ivan The Mouse
October 14th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Study chemistry.

deviatesfish
October 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
"Ciaphas Cain..." Cain tested the name with his voice a few times before deciding that it was a good name.

He got up and looked around.

The orphanage he stayed at was not rich or poor. It was rather normal, but it gave him a tiny room, just barely large enough for him to stand in after he got out of bed. Being the average boy without anything special made him just one of the many in the crowd. At least he didn't get picked on here.

Cain slowly dressed himself in his red shirt and worn jeans-- the only clothing he has. It's still early in the morning, most of the other kids are still asleep.

The boy sleeping on the bunk above him was certainly still asleep. And rather soundly too; Cain cringed at the loudness of his roommate's snoring.
Items gained:

-Red Shirt
-Worn Jeans
-Dirty Socks
-Old Sneakers

Neir
October 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Take roommate's shoes.

Ivan The Mouse
October 14th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Study chemistry.

deviatesfish
October 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Please post suggestions in OOC thread. Suggestions will not be read in this thread. Yet.

deviatesfish
October 14th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Cain does his jumping jacks just fine, since practically anyone can do jumping jacks no problem, but...

Cain groans as he pushes his thirtieth push-up. It has probably not been two minutes yet, but his arms are too sour for him to try anything anymore. Instead, he goes to work on his set ups. He doesn't reach forty.

He groans again. His arms feel like jelly.

"What was it I was supposed to do next? Go to Master's house?"

It's about four blocks away from the orphanage. The house itself looks like a regular suburban home that...

"Ugkk--!!"

Cain clutches his head. His eyes are hurting. They are bleeding. Then he remembered, if he was to look for Master's Workshop, he must do the most basic thing. Using all his efforts, he poured all his prana around his eyes.

Immediately, the prana disappears and a trap door at the back of the house appears. Cain shrugged as he pulled the door open. It was pitch black inside.

deviatesfish
October 14th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Cain shivers.

"W-what's a Grue...?" He asks rhetorically.

deviatesfish
October 14th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Cain jumped inside the trapdoor. Rather than landing correctly, he stubbed his toes in the darkness, "Ouch!" He cried clutching his feet.

He tripped on something as he jumped on one foot, something that felt like a thick wire. It caused him to trip and fall.

Luckily for Cain, something was there to catch him as he fell.

Unluckily for Cain, that something was a stack of books.

"Argh!" Cain cried, now clutching his bruised forehead.

On some random chance, one of the books hit a switch on the side of the walls, lighting up the room.

It was a small workshop, just enough for a single person's research. Much of it is unknown to Cain, but he could piece together much of what is written around.

The room is shaped like a square, about fifteen meters on all sides. By all rights, it should be the basement to the house, but the Master once mentioned that he had converted the basement to this. At the center of the room, there is a human sized test tube connected to many wires and tubes the size of Cain's forearms. It glows with a dim, blue light, now that electricity seems to be restored to the basement.

There is something inside it floating at the center, but Cain couldn't really see what it was. It seems to be a giant mass of flesh, just slightly smaller than him.

There was a small bookcase of books on magecraft. However, the Master was rather messy. Cain saw books on Homunculi, Zoroastrianism, Taoism, Kabbalah... There were eight other selves in the room, but all the books on them were of naked women.

The room is littered with wires and tubes going from the walls to the big glass tube in the center of the room. There is a small work desk at the opposite side of the room, but it is just covered with messy notes or something. Cain yawned, finding nothing interesting here and begins to think of what kind of cheese he wanted for his sandwich today.

deviatesfish
October 15th, 2011, 12:24 AM
Cain climbed up the trapdoor and out into the former Master's backyard. From there, he takes a rock and breaks open one of the windows and climbs in. The house is a two story home, but... everything seems empty. All the former Master's belongings are gone. The furniture is still here, but little else is.

deviatesfish
October 16th, 2011, 11:31 PM
Cain opens the refrigerator, and found a single sandwich inside. It is filled with cheese, bacon, jalapenos and all sorts of things. It looks like it is freshly made.

He takes the sandwich and heads back down to the former master's workshop.

On the former master's desk, he found a few thick manilla envelopes. Each had all sorts of notes in them.

The thickest one is labeled 'Homunculus Creation'. There is one called 'Essential Magecraft to Learn Later'. After some digging, Cain finds one buried in the bottom drawer labeled 'Useless'. Within, there are two sheets of paper. It is like a profile, with a picture of Cain smiling dumbly at the camera. There are a lot of listed stats that Cain does not understand, like 'number of magic circuits', but many that he does understand, like weight and height.

There is also some notes at the bottom that say, "Pathetic excuse of a human specimen, below average in all subjects. Only one with even the barest magecraft potential in this abysmal town."

Cain is confused. Who is Taiga?

deviatesfish
October 17th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Cain looks over the former master's notes on himself...

Name: Useless (placeholder for name/doesn't matter)

Weight: lower than average
Height: lower than average
Potential: Abysmal
IQ: 100 (there seems to be some error here)
Magic circuits in body: 10

These circuits are horrible and tiny. The best I can hope to make this boy into, is an average magus. Even then, he's pathetic. If I wasn't hiding from the Einzbern, then I might actually have a real apprentice student...

He tends to be docile and rather useless. Not good at anything. The only ability he seems to have is the ability to learn many things and not be adept at any of them. I would not even call him a Jack of All Trades even if he had the time to practice every skill until he is 900 years old.

Still, being able for all trades is in itself a skill...

At best, this boy will become an assistant, if he even lives that long.

Update:

I opened his circuits. He seems able to learn things at a moderate rate, but is unable to perform them. This has become beyond frustrating. I do not have much time left, I must make my new body before this one collapses. This boy will not be able to assist me in time, with the rate of his studies. All he can do is make a red shirt. Abysmal.

He seems to have no motivation to do anything, but I doubt that even if he had the motivation, he would be able to do anything.

Update:

I have no time for this boy anymore. He is an imbecile. I leave him alone now, but for some reason, he just stares vacantly at me. Like some strange creature. Still, even now, the best he can be is a pathetic magus. I will not send him to the association; that would only tarnish my family name. It's a pity I will have died here in isolation, with a useless boy as an assistant.

America is a terrible place, so many people with so little magecraft potential.

I wish I never exiled myself to this place.

Update:

My time is near, but this boy is still unable to learn the simplest of spells! My frustration is at its limits. I must remind myself that he is only ten years old. But compared to myself at ten, he is abysmally behind. Only some miracle would be able to bestow upon him any talent now.

Yes, I see.

It is not his skills that are lacking. If anything, it is strange that he can learn almost anything I give him to learn, albeit at a pathetic rate. His capabilities for all such things is moderate. What is abysmal is his potential. He just does not have any talent. Perhaps I should have chosen a mundane child? One that is actually intelligent?

I have no time now.

This child is a worthless piece of trash. It is good that I did not teach him more. If I had, then he might have actually tried to join the association himself. That in itself would have been a failure on my part. I shall be merciful. I will put this child down once my body feels better.

It's a pity that I could not use the skills I borrowed from the Einzbern to make a new body. A pity more that I wasted two years on this child.

What a pity.

deviatesfish
October 18th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Cain tries to read from the essential magecraft file, but after a few sentences, he got bored and fell asleep.

After an hour, Cain woke up and ate "his" sandwich. It was really spicy and there was no drinks around for Cain keep the jalapenos down. But it was enough to keep him awake to read the random page he picked up. He couldn't understand it at all, because all the words used were too difficult for him.

The title of the page Cain picked was called "Speed Structural Analysis and Reinforcement".

After trying to figure out this page by guessing at the intents of the bigger words for another hour, Cain was too tired and too thirsty to continue. So he decided to tear up the former master's assessment papers about him and leave.

As he climbed out of the trap door, Cain noticed a car pulling in on the drive way.

deviatesfish
October 18th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Cain dropped low and hid behind some bushes. His small size allowed him to hide almost completely. Thanks to the thickness of the bushes, he was able to keep sight of the car without much hassle.

After a few minutes, four people came out of the car. Two of them adults, one man and one woman, and two girls around Cain's age. They look alike, as if they were twins. They started unloading boxes from the back of their car.

Before they were done, a large truck with two workers came and started unloading more boxes into the house too.

One of the girls whined, "Dad, I'm hungry, is it lunch yet?"

"Hm," the man replied, "I left a sandwich in the fridge. You could go get that if you want, but you should share it with your sister."

They seem to be moving into the former master's old house, Cain concluded.

deviatesfish
October 19th, 2011, 07:03 AM
The girls ran into the house, looking for a sandwich... a sandwich that was already in the pits of Cain's belly.

He looked down. He could use a drink, but that was a delicious sandwich.

"Dad! There's no sandwich!" The girls reported.

"Strange... I coulda sworn making one. Well, I'll order something..." The man scratched his head, then saw a look that the woman was giving him, "Ooor, we can go out later, how's that, girls?"

"Yay!"

"In the mean time, you girls just keep outta the way while we unpack, alright?"

After the men unloaded the goods from their truck and moved them into the house, they left, leaving the man and the woman to unpack. The girls were outside, debating what to do next, whether they should explore the neighborhood, or go unpack for their room, or...

"Hello," Cain said as he approached, "You girls new in town?"

As a pair, they turned to him, blinking in surprise. It was as if they didn't even see or sense his walking to them. One of them replied, "Yeah, we just moved in from downtown Los Angeles. This place looks pretty nice..."

"...Are you from around here?"

"Yeah." Cain nodded dully. "I'm Ciaphas Cain, HERO--er, I mean, just call me Cain."

The twins both raised an eyebrow at him, like copies or something. One of them introduced them, "Hi! I'm Celina and this is my younger sister Elaina."

"Pft," Elaina snorted ungirlishly, "I'm the older one."

"Oh yeah? Says who? Last I checked, I had big sister rights!"

"Grrr..."

Cain stared on, confused. This was the most he's talked to girls (cooties!) since... forever, really. Desperately and awkwardly, he wished he knew what to say to them. It seems like he already lost the twins' attention.

deviatesfish
October 22nd, 2011, 06:29 AM
"Hey, is there a park around here?" Celina asked curiously.

Cain remembered the park, it was a vast thing through his perspective. But he only remembered it in passing, he never went into the park. "I know it, it's pretty far though," he uttered.

Elena shrugged, "We can go, it's better than being stuck inside the house all day anyway. I'll go tell papa."

The walk to the park took them the better part of an hour, which the girls occupied by first asking Cain questions about the town. Cain answered to the best of his abilities, but the girls grew quickly bored of him. They began to walk ahead, separate and conversing about things that Cain could not understand, like sports. Cain noticed that they were not talking about sports of America.

"We're from England," Elena rolled her eyes at Cain when he brought this up, "Couldn't you tell from our accents?" She asked playfully.

The park was huge, surrounded by towering trees from all sides. The girls both sighed as they walked in. "This place reminds me of my old home," they said in unison. Elena turned to Cain, "This town has a much better feeling than a big city, doesn't it?