PDA

View Full Version : The DC Discussion Thread - For all things relating to DC Comics

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Theocrass
November 8th, 2011, 02:16 PM
http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/dc-comics-character-image.jpg

The impending arrival of my copy of Arkham City has left me feeling rather nostalgic.

So, I decided to make this discussion thread.

Here, we discuss all things DC; be it the main comic line, the DCAU, any of the other cartoons, the Dark Knight movies, any of the animated films, and the like.

You get my point.

Am I the only one who really got into comics because of the DCAU?

Although, I'm not terribly fond of the current comic continuity, being that much of it SUCKS. Of course, there are a few gems here and there, but they are few and far between.

Anyone following any ongoing DC stuff at the moment?

I'm watching Young Justice and Batman: The Brave and the Bold; I'll also start playing Batman: Arkham City tonight.

Both of the aforementioned shows are surprisingly good, given that I had little hope for either of them when they first came out.

Favorite DC character(s)?

Batman has and always will be my favorite super hero EVER. My favorite Batman would have to be DCAU Batman. Though I am particularly fond of DCAU Question, Flash, Wonder Woman, and Superman.

Favorite DC superhero team?

Honestly, I gotta go with the DCAU Justice League. I adore the hell out of them. They just all work together so well ...

Favorite Robin? (MANDATORY QUESTION PEOPLE but not really)

Dick Grayson.

Finally, I'd like ask if there's anything you guys have always wanted to see in a DC property (be it a comic, a cartoon, or something else).

I have long craved a Batfamily show. Preferably, all of the following would be major characters: Bruce Wayne, Alfred Pennyworth, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Barbara Gordon, and Cassandra Cain.

I would love to see them all interacting together and watching the different dynamics play out and such.

MssrNeko
November 8th, 2011, 02:28 PM
FUCK YEAH, DC!!!

http://chzheroes.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/superheroes-batman-superman-the-yellow-bro-fist.jpg

Aside that:

Favorite DC Hero?
It'd be a tie between Booster Gold, The Question, Doctor Fate, and Batman, of course. But really, there's too many favorites that I can list.

Favorite Hero Team?
Justice League and all its counterparts. But the Justice Society of America is also a big fave. The ORIGINAL superheroes before JL.

Favorite Robin?
Dick. Can't get any better than the first.

Theocrass
November 8th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Do you have any favorite versions of those heroes in question?

MssrNeko
November 8th, 2011, 02:39 PM
Well, I'm easily satisfied with most character adaptions. Both AU!Question and CO!Question are cool, Booster Gold is always a laugh, with Doctor Fate I prefer Kent Nelson, and Batman's Batman.

As for a series I'd like to see animated?
Like you said, a Batfamily series would be freaking awesome. But a series delving into the more mystical side of DC would be pretty cool too. Like Madame Xanadu, Phantom Stranger, John Constintine, and Zatarra. Hell, a Hellblazer animated series would rock.

Theocrass
November 8th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Hm ... definitely.

I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more of Captain Marvel, either.

Man, I could really go for some awesome DC fanfiction. Like, something really epic in length and presentation.

Apparently there is a Batman cartoon coming out soon where his sidekicks will be Alfred with a gun and the teen hero Katana.

While Alfred is awesome, I'm perplexed as to why they would use Katana. I would much prefer Batgirl or Robin.

MssrNeko
November 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Perhaps its going deal with the Outsiders and their ilk.

Say, what's your stance on Flashpoint and the reboot?

Theocrass
November 8th, 2011, 03:02 PM
On one hand ... it does help them cut out a lot of the dumb or confusing crap that's been popping up. (Like when any of the Kryptonians punch hard enough to break reality)

But I know in my heart we'll still see stupid things like that come up.

And on the other hand ... I have not been hearing good things about the reboot. Apparently DC has been turning all the awesome heroines into cock-slobbering nymphos. For example, Starfire apparently has no qualms cheating on her boyfriend. That I do not like. At all. I might have thought it was an exaggeration, if I had not seen a few panels.

MssrNeko
November 8th, 2011, 03:09 PM
Yeah, not liking the new personalities for some of the girls.

And Barbara being okay? While good, it kinda takes the spotlight away from the other Batgirls.

Theocrass
November 8th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Barbara was good as Oracle.

That is her role.

I don't see why she needed to become Batgirl again.

mewarmo990
November 8th, 2011, 03:56 PM
I don't know much about DC - I'm mainly a Marvel fan - but I'd like some advice on where to start reading.

Interesting thing to me about it is that DC heroes are fewer and seem less 'human' in their portrayal. That is, they're fewer and more powerful but the world is less believable.

MssrNeko
November 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM
That's gets brought up a lot between fans. In fact, JLA/Avenger crossover touches on that subject: when the Avengers see how much the DCverse loves their heroes, they're surprised. Cap even accuses the JLA of being tyrants with god-complexes.

mewarmo990
November 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
That's gets brought up a lot between fans. In fact, JLA/Avenger crossover touches on that subject: when the Avengers see how much the DCverse loves their heroes, they're surprised. Cap even accuses the JLA of being tyrants with god-complexes.
Yeah, I think I read that one.

Just interesting to see a different take on things. In real life, the reception to superheroes would probably be something in between, and obviously colored by our media experiences. Except most would still be illegal vigilantes, I suppose.

Theocrass
November 8th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I don't know much about DC - I'm mainly a Marvel fan - but I'd like some advice on where to start reading.

Interesting thing to me about it is that DC heroes are fewer and seem less 'human' in their portrayal. That is, they're fewer and more powerful but the world is less believable.

I like the DC heroes more, but I acknowledge that that doesn't necessarily make them more believable.

Like Neko said, it was touched upon in a crossover event.

In DC, heroes are treated like nobility. In Marvel, they are not as appreciated for their efforts.

I believe the event in question that made Cap so angry was finding a statue of Superman.

Now, ignoring the silliness of such a thing, the Superhero Registration Act would get stomped before it could even truly begin if someone tried it in DC.

MssrNeko
November 8th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Yeah. The DC verse seems to be more softer when it comes to meta/superhumans. Marvel goes along the line of more cynical approaches of superheroes.

Especially Ultimate Marvel. >__>

Chaos Greyblood
November 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
And well, there was a comic book series called 'Batman and the Outsiders'. It's possible they didn't just let it fester in oblivion.

Favorite DC character(s)?

The original JLA trinity, of course: Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman. I also like The Flash, Zatanna, Green Arrow and Power Girl.

Favorite DC superhero team?

DCAU Justice League. possibly the JSA too.

Favorite Robin?

Dick Grayson, followed by Tim Drake and finally Damian Wayne. He may be a little bastard, but he's a good little bastard and he kinda grew on me more during the 3rd arc on 'Batman and Robin must die!'

lethum
November 8th, 2011, 04:56 PM
The only DC comics I own are two Supergirl issues. The psychic Supergirl with Heaven vs Hell undertones, anyway. I own no more comics.

Theocrass
November 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Lethum!

*Glomps*

I don't own many of the comics myself, don't have the money to be constantly buying them.

Favorite battle?
Mine is the Justice League versus Brainthor (DCAU).

Favorite moment?
It speaks for itself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoRundeX6O0)

Sherrinford
November 8th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Favorite moment?
It speaks for itself. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoRundeX6O0)

O______O
_________
|_|_|_|_|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|______
|______)
|_______
|_|_|_|_|_

Theocrass
November 8th, 2011, 07:53 PM
O______O
_________
|_|_|_|_|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|______
|______)
|_______
|_|_|_|_|_

He can do it all baby.

Chaos Greyblood
November 10th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Anyone here plays DC Universe Online?

Theocrass
November 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Not me.

I haven't heard many good things about it, unfortunately.

lethum
November 10th, 2011, 04:04 PM
The gameplay looked less fancy and fluid than what I would've liked for that type of game. So I never bothered to look it up anywhere.

Theocrass
November 10th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I play Arkham City, though.

And it is amazing.

Mormarth
November 10th, 2011, 06:00 PM
ARKHAM CITY IS FUCK AWESOME BRO

Favorite hero: tch, are you dense? ARE YOU RETARDED OR SOMETHING, IT'S THE GOD DAMN BATMAN.

Team: Haven't gotten into DC very much, so I'll just say Justice League.

Robin: Grayson, Nightwing is my bro.

What I want to see, uhh, don't know. Maybe an animated Final Crisis or one of the others?

*Grapnels away*

Chaos Greyblood
November 10th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I admit it has its flaws, but it's still a fun game when you run around kicking some ass, helping out other players and just interact with the heroes and villains inside the game. I rather like it and I wanted to see what was the hubbub about it. Granted, they still have to iron out some stuff yet, but at the very least I don't have as many problems accessing the servers as I have when I first downloaded it.

If anyone cares, look me up as Psybaster. I'm a hero with Mental powers, uses Energy bolts and I'm mentored by Batman. I'm lvl. 17 and I may create a villian pretty soon.

ItsaRandomUsername
November 10th, 2011, 08:09 PM
DC needs a complete overhaul and regime change. If this country can give companies the same rights as humans, then something is seriously wrong in our nation's capital. Also, we should do away with all of the bipartisanship-oriented goals and instead focus on what really needs to be done. Change can't happen unless we actually strive for it.

......what? It's The DC Discussion Thread. It's a totally viable topic.

:3

deviatesfish
November 11th, 2011, 02:51 AM
http://cdn.the-gutters.com/comics/4cc0f3f2e9d3b72b7bba11d5636de669b2bdc3b9.jpg

Theocrass
November 11th, 2011, 03:12 AM
lol

I love Fishie and IRUn.

Sherrinford
November 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
West Side Story?

Theocrass
July 26th, 2012, 03:53 AM
You know what I think?

I think DC is pushing way too hard with this Justice League movie, and it's going to inevitably fail because they're only making it to match Avengers.

Y'know they SHOULD do?

They need to do a movie with the World's Finest (Batman and Superman) or of DC's Trinity (Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman).

And maybe do a film for each of them beforehand.

I think that would go a lot better than just trying to do what Avengers did.

Chojomeka
July 26th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Theo! >:V I noticed a lack of Stephine Brown in your OP...don't make me bring out the bear traps and anti-bear rifles!

Lycodrake
July 26th, 2012, 10:24 AM
I despise what "New 52" was, is, and will more than likely be.

But I liked DC comics a lot before that, though I mainly focused on The Bat family and Teen Titans/Young Justice.

Ace
July 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
You know what I think?

I think DC is pushing way too hard with this Justice League movie, and it's going to inevitably fail because they're only making it to match Avengers.

Y'know they SHOULD do?

They need to do a movie with the World's Finest (Batman and Superman) or of DC's Trinity (Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman).

Agreed. Marvel had the Avengers planned out for ages while this new Justice League movie feels more rushed.

Or maybe I just don't like it because they're rebooting Batman again so soon.

Kotonoha
July 26th, 2012, 11:04 AM
What are some good comics to read for people who don't know the first thing about most superheroes (except Batman, I already have some Batman.)

Chaos Greyblood
July 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM
You know what I think?

Y'know they SHOULD do?

To Marvel's credit, they did the build-up pretty well when it came to making the movies for each of the Avengers featured and made damn sure that we get to be familiar with the cinemaverse. We saw the movies and stuck rather well, there'll be Iron Man 3, Mark Ruffalo got a nice contract thanks to his performance, and who knows what else Marvel will cook up for the rest.

If they're gonna plan to make a JLA movie, I think they gotta do The Flash and Wonder Woman first. Green Arrow is also a good option. The other issue is, who's gonna be the next Batman?

@Koto: Try going for Supes, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Atom, and Green Arrow

Fingolfin
July 26th, 2012, 12:01 PM
All-Star Superman, and Red Son. What Ever Happened to the Man of Tommorrow? Is another good Superman Comic. Kingdom Come is good too, and it showcases all the classics like Batman and Wonderwoman except older and world weary. Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, is a good look into Luthor's psyche and how he sees Superman.

Kotonoha
July 26th, 2012, 12:02 PM
@Koto: Try going for Supes, Flash, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Atom, and Green Arrow
That's a bit vague. "READ SOME COMICS WITH SUPERMAN IN THEM"

All-Star Superman, and Red Son. What Ever Happened to the Man of Tommorrow? Is another good Superman Comic. Kingdom Come is good too, and it showcases all the classics like Batman and Wonderman except older and world weary. Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, is a good look into Luthor's psyche and how he sees Superman.
Thanks bro

terraablaze
July 26th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Just good comics in general? I haven't read to much myself but I enjoyed what little I read of Chew. There's always the obligatory Watchmen recommendation.

Chaos Greyblood
July 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
That's a bit vague. "READ SOME COMICS WITH SUPERMAN IN THEM"

I just gave you the individual comics. If I wanted to say READ SOME COMICS WITH SUPERMAN IN THEM, I would have just said Justice League of America. What next, you want me to also tell you the different creative teams of each comic just so you can know who's who?

Remind me not to help you in the near future. >.>U

Kotonoha
July 26th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Oh, I've read Watchmen.

I'm more asking about how you get into superheroes that have like 50 years' worth of comics written about them.

I just gave you the individual comics. If I wanted to say READ SOME COMICS WITH SUPERMAN IN THEM, I would have just said Justice League of America. What next, you want me to also tell you the different creative teams of each comic just so you can know who's who?

Remind me not to help you in the near future. >.>U
But... there's like a billion Superman comics, so "read Superman" is really vague. Which ones are regarded as the best? Which ones will introduce the character in a way that will let me know what his actual deal is? Etc.

Like I'm not going to try to get into comics by reading them all in order starting from Action Comics #1.

Chaos Greyblood
July 26th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Best thing I know how is just by downloading via torrents and all. There's got to be loads and loads of comics.

If you just want reboots, brave the tides that is The New 52.

terraablaze
July 26th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Series that didn't have long runs perhaps? Like Kick-Ass.

Fingolfin
July 26th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Oops, I meant Wonderwoman not Wonderman. Curiously, there is a hero named Wonderman and he's in Marvel.

Kotonoha
July 26th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Haha I was kind of wondering who Wonderman was.

Chojomeka
July 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM
Oops, I meant Wonderwoman not Wonderman. Curiously, there is a hero named Wonderman and he's in Marvel.

He's also a robot.

Lycodrake
July 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM
http://images.wikia.com/marveldatabase/images/8/8c/Simon_Williams_%28Earth-616%29.jpg

Simon Williams, the Wonder Man.
In non-ionic form, shown here, he actually has hair similar to Shinji's...

lilithsama
July 26th, 2012, 01:54 PM
You know what I think?

yeah, cus they saw all that money marvel was making and being the greedy a-holes they are decided OH ME WANT LOTSA MONEY LIEK DAT
especially now that Nolan Batman is done they need to figure out the next best way to cash in =_=
(not saying Nolan movies were there to only make money, cus they totally f*cking arent.... Schumaker totally were though =_=)

Y'know they SHOULD do?

well isnt that kinda what avengers did too? (Thor, Iron Man 1 & 2, Capt America, That Norton Hulk movie from several years ago)

although they're kinda already on that with the Snyder/Nolan Superman movie coming out next year
and the Batman reboot that I SHIT YOU NOT is already, and HAS BEEN in the works =_=
i assume they'd make a Wonder Woman movie, but they might just be so anxious for that JL monies they'll skip it and just jump right in to the "big one"
f*ck they already started development =-=

although I wanna be hopeful and think they'll actually do a good job

Chaos Greyblood
July 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
That's the point, Lil. Marvel made the build-up with all the individual movies. I had said it as such previously. Even if it's just to match up, I think DC has to think things through for a bit and grind it out nicely. I want to see how they handle Wonder Woman in a movie. Just trying to do a rush-job with the JLA movie is just like doing a videogame adaptation of said movie(s): It's not gonna look and feel well and the lack of quality will show. You have to be just like the Tortoise from The Tortoise and the Hare.

lilithsama
July 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Thats what they should do, but i seriously doubt they're gonna.
they arent trying to make a good Justice League movie, they're just trying to cash in cus OOOH LOOK AT ALL DAH MONIES AVENGERS MADE

which really is a shame, since Justice League done right is f*cking awesome ;^;

Chaos Greyblood
July 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Hope for the best, Lil. Hope for the best.

lilithsama
July 26th, 2012, 02:09 PM
i want to, but then i look at everything they've done in the past few years (Nolan excluded) and cant help but fear for the future =_=

MssrNeko
July 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM
DC has had a sketchy history when it came to making movie adaptions of their comics. Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes and do something different...pfft.

@Koto: I'll expand on what Ogodaka has already raised and add some of my own:
Red Son takes Superman and raises the question, "What if Supes landed in Soviet Russia instead of America" and runs with it. All-Star Superman has the Man of Steel contracting a fatal disease with only months to live so he decides to help make the world better. And Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow was created as way to send off the Silver Age (late 50s to 70s) Superman after they decided to reboot the DC universe. Basically the final story to end Silver Age Superman's career, although it starts to get dark really quick buts ends with a fond farewell.

Kingdom Come is a great DC crossover story that deconstructs the "90's Antihero" while reconstructing the meaning on what it means to be a superhero. All with biblical overtones that actually mesh well instead of being added for effects.

As for my own suggestions I would pick:
Dark Knight Returns - A retired Bruce Wayne dons the Bat cowl once more to fight crime after giving it up. (Avoid the sequel though)
Astro City - A trip back to the Golden Age of Comics with analogs of famous DC heroes. Studies the emotional and personal issues of those who live in a world filled with super powered beings.
Marvels - A Marvel series that makes you look through the eyes of a reporter as he documents the heroics of superhumans.

mangafreak7793
July 26th, 2012, 05:48 PM
I believe the event in question that made Cap so angry was finding a statue of Superman.

I want to see this if possible.

Also to answer your questions.

Waiting for young justice to make new episodes

Favorite Superhero.

I like Zatanna,don't ask but it is probably because of magic and fishnet stockings.

But on a more serious level, Jay Garrack and Batman, since only Batman is prepared for anything. Though DCAU Batman is with mixed feelings because by the end of it, he becomes grumpy and old and dated barbera once.

Favorite team:

Hard to say....since my DC verse is weak.

Favorite Robin:

Dick Greyson, though Cassandra Cain and Tim Drake are interesting,

Lycodrake
July 26th, 2012, 05:50 PM
I don't think Cassandra Cain ever took up the title of "Robin"...

mangafreak7793
July 26th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I don't think Cassandra Cain ever took up the title of "Robin"...

or was it batgirl, sorry.

Again my DC is weak.

Lycodrake
July 26th, 2012, 05:54 PM
or was it batgirl, sorry.
Again my DC is weak.
It's okay, just clarifying. She may have, for all I know.
I've ignored everything since the "New 52"...the disgusting abomination. :|

Chaos Greyblood
July 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM
For manga's query on Theo's statement, this happened in JLA-Avengers when the Avengers got transported to the DC Universe and were either shocked or appalled that the heroes on DC were well loved by the populace. They were in disbelief, because they suspected that the world was subverted by the JLA or something, though considering how the Marvel universe is a bit of a crapsack universe, they might be forgiven for thinking that way.

Lycodrake
July 26th, 2012, 06:00 PM
DC = heroes get statues erected in their honor, Anti-Life Equation
Marvel = heroes are hunted down as criminals worse than those they defeat, Mephisto

ChiakiKakumei
July 26th, 2012, 07:29 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1a/JLA_13_Covers.jpg

My response to Theo's Intro Entry.

Lycodrake
July 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Poison Ivy and Cheetah. Good.
...no Agent Orange. Poor. :|

Hermitfold
July 27th, 2012, 07:27 AM
You know, I never understood why they were rebooting Batman in the first place.

Chaos Greyblood
July 27th, 2012, 02:29 PM
You mean after the Dark Knight trilogy or before?

MssrNeko
July 27th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I think he means at all. Especially with the New 52.

And that's understandable.

Chaos Greyblood
July 27th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Ahh, you meant the comics then.

Well, what do you all think about some of the entries on Batman's rouge gallery that all this fascination for saying "blah-blah-blah-blah, we love being evil! Blah-blah-blah-blah, good sucks and evil rules!! Blah-blah-blah, evil is the best thing in the universe since sliced bread!"?

lilithsama
July 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM
You know, I never understood why they were rebooting Batman in the first place.

because its DC =_=
im pretty sure the only word left in their vocabulary is "REBOOT"

and prequel

Theocrass
July 27th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Let's not act like Marvel has any more integrity, lol.

lilithsama
July 27th, 2012, 04:54 PM
they're owned by Disney

that word has lost all meaning to them

lantzblades
July 27th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Let's not act like Marvel has any more integrity, lol.

it does, it just has no internal stability

mangafreak7793
July 28th, 2012, 03:14 PM
they're owned by Disney

that word has lost all meaning to them

I fear the day, if the kingdom hearts series grabs a hold of them.

Lycodrake
July 28th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I fear the day, if the kingdom hearts series grabs a hold of them.
Don't remind me. D:

DreamsRequiem
July 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
Wolverine and Spiderman in Kingdom Hearts.....

Ironman and Cap'n America in Kingdom Hearts.....

......please excuse me, I'm terribly confused right now.

mangafreak7793
July 28th, 2012, 03:41 PM
The scary thing is, I can imagine Spiderman in the Kingdom heart series....

Chaos Greyblood
July 28th, 2012, 04:04 PM
At least it'll be 1000x better than Phineas and Ferb.

lilithsama
July 28th, 2012, 04:05 PM
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-kingdomhearts-wolverine-marveldisneymerger.jpg

Chaos Greyblood
July 28th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Is this real?

Fingolfin
July 28th, 2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.halolz.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/halolz-dot-com-kingdomhearts-wolverine-marveldisneymerger.jpg
Oh, this would be hilarious.

terraablaze
July 28th, 2012, 05:28 PM
The Marvel x Final Fantasy x Disney powerlevel shenanigans that would explode across the internet would be delicious.

Also, your sig is rad Ogodaka. I wish I was better at that series so I could progress the story. Maybe I should just swallow my pride and actually play the super easy mode included in the collection.

Fingolfin
July 28th, 2012, 08:04 PM
Why, thank you. I happen to be a big fan of Zero. It's been a while since I played the games though.

Lycodrake
July 28th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Why, thank you. I happen to be a big fan of Zero. It's been a while since I played the games though.
Sadly, I just have 2 and 4, but it's my favorite section of the MegaMan universe.

lilithsama
July 28th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Oh, this would be hilarious.

yes
yes it would

and sadly no, not realy
just a TF2 mod

Artee
August 4th, 2012, 01:52 AM
You guys should watch this. This is awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NRsPDhyHrc

Ligerleon89
August 4th, 2012, 01:55 AM
^ Good stuff, although I haven't been doing much DC comic reading since they kept doing some crazy stuff with my favorite heroes and stupid, nonsensical plots. Thankfully, I still have hope that maybe they can do better stories than one's past. I just hope so.

lilithsama
August 4th, 2012, 02:05 AM
@Artee's Vid

I nearly creamed myself

Artee
August 4th, 2012, 10:16 AM
THERE'S A STORM COMING !

Artee
August 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Damn, that account has been deleted, and so was the video. I tried to find the same video again, but I could only find a similar one. The other one was better, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiIUHy2Pnxc

Well, I found it in Italian xD While the other one doesn't go online again.. (at least I hope it'll go)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voRjrI089k8

Lycodrake
August 20th, 2012, 09:43 PM
...again not DC-related, but...
Apparently the "new" Ultimate Spider-Man gets a crossover with canon/main-verse Spidey.

Ahahahahahahahahaha, wow. :|

terraablaze
August 22nd, 2012, 08:11 PM
That didn't take long.

Sherrinford
February 23rd, 2013, 08:56 PM
Resurrecting this thread because I want to recommend two DC-related series.

The first one is Arrow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_(TV_series)), based (you guessed it) on the character of Green Arrow. Personally, I marathoned it in two days. I'd say it's pretty well done and as a series it has a certain "self-esteem", which (I think) it's fundamental when you go for a superhero tv series. I watched The Cape before, but the feelings between these two series are completely different. It's neither Smallville (although I didn't watched much of it, so I can't really compare) nor a Nolan-like take on the character.

The second is Young Justice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Justice_(TV_series))... an animated series I discovered only recently and marathoned in three days. Good animation and very good plot (as things are now, it really makes you think the good guys might not be able to save the day this time!).

Fingolfin
February 23rd, 2013, 09:29 PM
Oh my.

http://cdn.the-gutters.com/comics/90bacaa87ca239ddc157e716a99ea00ea051231e.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The first one is Arrow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_(TV_series)), based (you guessed it) on the character of Green Arrow. Personally, I marathoned it in two days. I'd say it's pretty well done and as a series it has a certain "self-esteem", which (I think) it's fundamental when you go for a superhero tv series. I watched The Cape before, but the feelings between these two series are completely different. It's neither Smallville (although I didn't watched much of it, so I can't really compare) nor a Nolan-like take on the character.

The second is Young Justice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Justice_(TV_series))... an animated series I discovered only recently and marathoned in three days. Good animation and very good plot (as things are now, it really makes you think the good guys might not be able to save the day this time!).

Good man. Young Justice is a fine example of DC animation. I particularly like the dynamic between Superboy and Megan. Well, until they threw it out in season two. =__=

terraablaze
February 23rd, 2013, 10:27 PM
Wasn't Young Justice cancelled? The writing was awful at times from what I recall. Worst Joker ever.

Ace
February 23rd, 2013, 10:48 PM

Excellent taste, Sherrinford.

Unfortunately, Young Justice has been canceled though.

Servant Shiki
February 23rd, 2013, 10:57 PM
DC and Marvel always seem to have trouble keeping their animations in the air.

LJ3
February 24th, 2013, 02:59 AM
Blackstone that is great :). Would anyone here recommend the Green Lantern Animated Series?

Mcjon01
February 24th, 2013, 04:19 AM
Oh my.

http://cdn.the-gutters.com/comics/90bacaa87ca239ddc157e716a99ea00ea051231e.jpg
lol, that's Orson Scott Card all right. Man, whatever happened to Advent Rising? I plowed my way through that bug-fest to get a cliff hanger ending, and they don't even follow through with a sequel or the PSP spinoff they promised. What a rip. I wanted more self-gratifying humans are the best aliens sci-fi.

Chaos Greyblood
February 25th, 2013, 08:17 PM
...Was that a joke against gays?

Mcjon01
February 25th, 2013, 08:22 PM
It's a joke against Orson Scott Card for being a fiercely right wing nutjob.

Fingolfin
February 25th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Ryan Sohmer should be writing for Superman instead.

He has a sense of humor.

Theocrass
March 2nd, 2013, 06:24 AM
Duuuuuudes.

Young Justice is fucking cash man.

Why are these fuckers not renewing it goddamnit.

Greg Weisman wrrrrrry

Fingolfin
March 3rd, 2013, 05:07 PM
They need more Aqualad. He's just fucking awesome.

Especially after going under cover.

Sherrinford
March 4th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Duuuuuudes.

Young Justice is fucking cash man.

Why are these fuckers not renewing it goddamnit.

Greg Weisman wrrrrrry

I can stand the cancellation (kind of), as long as 1) the writing staff goes for another project and B) keeps the same quality.

Sherrinford
March 20th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Young Justice is over. Goodbye team, I'll miss you.

KID FLAAAAAASH *sniff*

I know it's been canceled, but... maybe... the open ending... perhaps...

At least today Arrow is supposed to resume airing.

Sherrinford
May 16th, 2013, 05:59 PM
And thus, the first season of Arrow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrow_(TV_series)) is over, and I'm waiting (impatiently) for the second season.

Overall, a good season finale. Although some parts in the beginning of the episode seemed a bit contrived to me, it's also true that the acting was really good, and that ending... with the Glades (well, part of it) actually being destroyed, it definitely tops Nolan's ending for the Batman trilogy, IMHO.

Blue
May 17th, 2013, 07:01 AM
Random:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/217396_610577042295203_1688788043_n.jpg

Sherrinford
July 13th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Hello everyone, I'm here for a recommendation.

I'd like to recommend this movie, Justice League: The New Frontier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League:_The_New_Frontier)... it's one of the greatest things DC-related ever/I've ever seen.

Lycodrake
July 13th, 2013, 06:46 PM
Hello everyone, I'm here for a recommendation.
I'd like to recommend this movie, Justice League: The New Frontier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justice_League:_The_New_Frontier)... it's one of the greatest things DC-related ever/I've ever seen.
I watched this when it premiered on Cartoon Network. Good stuff, definitely.

Kieran
July 13th, 2013, 08:26 PM
I was rather fond of Justice League: Doom, myself - though New Frontier is pretty good, true. One of the better adaptation films.

Yes, Arrow has been renewed for next year - and Stephen Amell will be at the con I'm planning to go to in August, which has me excited.

. . . And, as ever, I await the return of Cassandra Cain in The New 52. DC brings everything back, eventually - so it's only a matter of time.

Sherrinford
October 2nd, 2013, 02:30 PM
Gotham: n00b-level Gordon takes on the freaks of DC's craziest city. And no, let's make this clear right now, Batman won't appear. (http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/commissioner-gordon-fox-tv-series-drama/)

A nice raising of eyebrows is absolutely due.

Oh, and Flash of all characters will join the show in Arrow's second season. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304373104579105641351934138.html)

Eeeeh?

Oh, and there's work-in-progress for Constantine too. (http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/27/4777012/constantine-tv-series-is-being-developed-by-nbc)

... which is ok, I guess. Dunno. Can't say I'm particularly hyped for this one.

Kat
October 2nd, 2013, 02:32 PM
^ Cracked.com claims that won't work well for the shows.

Sherrinford
October 2nd, 2013, 02:38 PM
Well, it doesn't take much wondering to realize they're... questionable choices, at the very least. They have some potential to them, but the potential to utterly bomb is certainly there too.

Personally, I'm more concerned about Arrow than Gotham, but we'll see.

Kieran
October 3rd, 2013, 08:55 AM
Gotham: n00b-level Gordon takes on the freaks of DC's craziest city. And no, let's make this clear right now, Batman won't appear. (http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/commissioner-gordon-fox-tv-series-drama/)

A nice raising of eyebrows is absolutely due.

No joke - at least Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. can make references to the Marvel characters, and they have the backing of an international agency in a world with Stark-level tech. Gordon, on his own, in a corrupt police department? Not so enticing. They'll really have to work to keep it viable.

Oh, and Flash of all characters will join the show in Arrow's second season. (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304373104579105641351934138.html)

Well, it doesn't take much wondering to realize they're... questionable choices, at the very least. They have some potential to them, but the potential to utterly bomb is certainly there too.

Personally, I'm more concerned about Arrow than Gotham, but we'll see.

Stephen Amell talked about this when I sat in on his panel at Fan Expo. It's a move fuelled by two factors. First, they're trying to spin the Flash off into his own show - Arrow is just the jump-off point. It's part of DC's "buildup to the Justice League movie" plan (which, by the way, Amell said he would absolutely do if they decided to bring Oliver onboard - yay!). Apparently, approval for it had to go all the way up to Christopher Nolan.

Secondly, the reaction from the studio last year regarding Arrow was much the same as that of fans - that being, to quote Amell, "We really hope the show doesn't suck. But now that we've sort of proven ourselves, they've handed us the keys, so we can bring a lot more of the comic book elements in."

Sherrinford
October 3rd, 2013, 12:06 PM
No joke - at least Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. can make references to the Marvel characters, and they have the backing of an international agency in a world with Stark-level tech. Gordon, on his own, in a corrupt police department? Not so enticing. They'll really have to work to keep it viable.

It's really hard to judge for me: on one hand, there's the risk that the series will just be a bizarro clone of shows like CSI, Law and Order et similia, with the bonus penalty of batman villains not credible enough and turning the show in a parade of silliness... tracking down Catwoman, or defeating Killer Croc in the sewages. stopping the Penguin or Killer Moth or Man-Bat or Mad Hatter are deeds that have a different "weight" if the one doing them is a common officer rather than Batman... not to mention that the most "serious" villains (Joker, Two-Faces, Scarecrow), those who could really give a spin, are already taken by the movies, so it's unlikely that they'll show up.

On the other hand though, the idea of how would your average American big city police force deal with menaces like Riddler, Strange, Black Mask etc., and in turn how these rogues would deal with the police, with the "everyday heroes" that are not Batman has some appeal (thus exploring why they're (supposed to be) superior threats than your common criminal mafia boss).

Stephen Amell talked about this when I sat in on his panel at Fan Expo. It's a move fuelled by two factors. First, they're trying to spin the Flash off into his own show - Arrow is just the jump-off point. It's part of DC's "buildup to the Justice League movie" plan (which, by the way, Amell said he would absolutely do if they decided to bring Oliver onboard - yay!). Apparently, approval for it had to go all the way up to Christopher Nolan.

Secondly, the reaction from the studio last year regarding Arrow was much the same as that of fans - that being, to quote Amell, "We really hope the show doesn't suck. But now that we've sort of proven ourselves, they've handed us the keys, so we can bring a lot more of the comic book elements in."

Yeah, I heard just today of the planned Flash TV series. Ok, let's begin from the start:

I don't think risking a series that has been doing good but is fragile as Arrow just as a trampoline for a maybe-yes-maybe-not future series is generally a good idea (you could end up with losing both), but we'll see... it should be noted that Allen is a forensic scientist, therefore not just the first metahuman in a jumpsuit without anything to bring in the plot aside from superpowers.

The idea of building up a JLA movie through TV series instead of movies is actually a good idea IMHO. (And btw, what's this now? Is Nolan the leading expert in DC comicology now?)

I too believe that now that the show has proven himself to be of quality, there's the need and it's the time to raise the ante, because the dynamics between the usual three-four characters cannot stand much longer... yes, they were handled very carefully and thus weren't heavy for the series as a whole, on the contrary, but now it's time to go a little step beyond. More comic book stuff is welcomed, but let's be careful, this isn't Smallville, you can't just fish out metahumans and superpowers from the DCverse and slap them into the plot, I believe there is a "maximum level" beyond which it's not wise to go.

Kieran
October 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM
It's really hard to judge for me: on one hand, there's the risk that the series will just be a bizarro clone of shows like CSI, Law and Order et similia, with the bonus penalty of batman villains not credible enough and turning the show in a parade of silliness... tracking down Catwoman, or defeating Killer Croc in the sewages. stopping the Penguin or Killer Moth or Man-Bat or Mad Hatter are deeds that have a different "weight" if the one doing them is a common officer rather than Batman... not to mention that the most "serious" villains (Joker, Two-Faces, Scarecrow), those who could really give a spin, are already taken by the movies, so it's unlikely that they'll show up.

On the other hand though, the idea of how would your average American big city police force deal with menaces like Riddler, Strange, Black Mask etc., and in turn how these rogues would deal with the police, with the "everyday heroes" that are not Batman has some appeal (thus exploring why they're (supposed to be) superior threats than your common criminal mafia boss).

Point - but that seems more a TV movie plot than an actual series - especially if you're aiming to last more than one season.

Yeah, I heard just today of the planned Flash TV series. Ok, let's begin from the start:

I don't think risking a series that has been doing good but is fragile as Arrow just as a trampoline for a maybe-yes-maybe-not future series is generally a good idea (you could end up with losing both), but we'll see...

I'm thinking you may be overly tense about this - I've been assuming that we're looking at a one- or two-episode storyline, not something that takes up the entire season. Kind of like the Huntress arc, I suppose.

it should be noted that Allen is a forensic scientist, therefore not just the first metahuman in a jumpsuit without anything to bring in the plot aside from superpowers.

Amen. John Wesley Shipp was always pretty good about that aspect - at least, to a point. Amanda Pays/Tina McGee was the science geek, mostly.

(. . . Oh, yeah - I'm talking about the 1990s Flash series, which lasted one season - but is notable for having Mark Hamill play the Prankster, in an eerie foreshadowing of his role as the Joker.)

The idea of building up a JLA movie through TV series instead of movies is actually a good idea IMHO. (And btw, what's this now? Is Nolan the leading expert in DC comicology now?)

Amell called him "the guru of all things Warner Bros./DC, right now." It sounds like DC is organising its projects along similar lines as Marvel's doing with its series - which is one reason Amell was keen to play Oliver in the Justice League movie, if asked. ("If Marvel can do Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I don't see why we can't do this - though my first commitment will always be to the show.")

Regardless, I'm guessing that, as with Marvel's "phases," all future projects are being aligned towards the idea of introducing the JLA, with Nolan as the overseer.

I too believe that now that the show has proven himself to be of quality, there's the need and it's the time to raise the ante, because the dynamics between the usual three-four characters cannot stand much longer... yes, they were handled very carefully and thus weren't heavy for the series as a whole, on the contrary, but now it's time to go a little step beyond. More comic book stuff is welcomed, but let's be careful, this isn't Smallville, you can't just fish out metahumans and superpowers from the DCverse and slap them into the plot, I believe there is a "maximum level" beyond which it's not wise to go.

Something else Mr. Amell was careful to point out - they apparently do have a certain threshold in mind, though what it is, I don't know. And it makes sense - the DCverse has ludicrous power levels - a Green Lantern has held back a supernova, and certain versions of Superman have been known to break the time barrier by punching it. :rolleyes:

Oliver, on the other hand, is - well, Oliver. Past a certain limit, the idea of effectively engaging someone is just impossible, and special effects budgets can only stretch so far, anyway. Given the way the writers have handled things so far, however, I'm confident that the second season will be done quite well - it's season four that I'm worried about. In my experience, if a show's going to start slipping, that's when it happens (Buffy, Angel to a lesser degree, The Mentalist, and so on). :)

Sherrinford
October 3rd, 2013, 05:51 PM
Point - but that seems more a TV movie plot than an actual series - especially if you're aiming to last more than one season.

If they concentrate on the more "machiavellian" villains (like Riddler, Black Mask etc.) each of them is going to last more than one episode, if not entire seasons. They're not supercriminals for nothing, and there should be a good reason why we usually need Batman of all people to put a stop to their plans quickly. From what I imagine it to be, it's something like Breaking Bad, The Following or White Collar or something like that, or maybe even like Death Note; basically films like Silent of the Lambs, Zodiac, Red Dragon, Seven, only turned into season-long plots: a sort of game of cat and mouse between the hero(es) - GCPD - and the bad guy(s) - the supercriminals -; at least, that's the only way I think such a projects would work.

I'm thinking you may be overly tense about this - I've been assuming that we're looking at a one- or two-episode storyline, not something that takes up the entire season. Kind of like the Huntress arc, I suppose.

Yeah, that seems their intention... dunno why I'm so tense about it.

Amen. John Wesley Shipp was always pretty good about that aspect - at least, to a point. Amanda Pays/Tina McGee was the science geek, mostly.

(. . . Oh, yeah - I'm talking about the 1990s Flash series, which lasted one season - but is notable for having Mark Hamill play the Prankster, in an eerie foreshadowing of his role as the Joker.)

Oh my... I remember that!

Amell called him "the guru of all things Warner Bros./DC, right now."

Oh well.

It sounds like DC is organising its projects along similar lines as Marvel's doing with its series - which is one reason Amell was keen to play Oliver in the Justice League movie, if asked. ("If Marvel can do Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., I don't see why we can't do this - though my first commitment will always be to the show.")

Maybe it's this what I'm afraid of, that they unnecessarily turns the show into the DC equivalent of Agents of SHIELD.

Something else Mr. Amell was careful to point out - they apparently do have a certain threshold in mind, though what it is, I don't know. And it makes sense - the DCverse has ludicrous power levels - a Green Lantern has held back a supernova, and certain versions of Superman have been known to break the time barrier by punching it. :rolleyes:

And Flash outrun Death (IIRC). Makes me think of that pic over at tvtropes, with a team-up of Green Arrow and Superman. :rolleyes:

Oliver, on the other hand, is - well, Oliver. Past a certain limit, the idea of effectively engaging someone is just impossible, and special effects budgets can only stretch so far, anyway. Given the way the writers have handled things so far, however, I'm confident that the second season will be done quite well - it's season four that I'm worried about. In my experience, if a show's going to start slipping, that's when it happens (Buffy, Angel to a lesser degree, The Mentalist, and so on). :)

I couldn't agree more. It seems that season three is the "upper limit" for Tv series.

But maybe this could turn out for the best: the fact that Oliver is not a metahuman means that you don't have to ante up the happenings during each season, eventually bursting through the ceiling; kinda like the same thing that goes for Batman: Deadshot will always be a deadly foe, because bullets will always be something fatal.

Kieran
October 3rd, 2013, 07:13 PM
If they concentrate on the more "machiavellian" villains (like Riddler, Black Mask etc.) each of them is going to last more than one episode, if not entire seasons. They're not supercriminals for nothing, and there should be a good reason why we usually need Batman of all people to put a stop to their plans quickly. From what I imagine it to be, it's something like Breaking Bad, The Following or White Collar or something like that, or maybe even like Death Note; basically films like Silent of the Lambs, Zodiac, Red Dragon, Seven, only turned into season-long plots: a sort of game of cat and mouse between the hero(es) - GCPD - and the bad guy(s) - the supercriminals -; at least, that's the only way I think such a projects would work.

And as I think about it, you're right - that would work. Hm. And the guy behind "The Mentalist" is apparently doing the show, so it might actually be worthwhile (though how it'll play out in the long-term . . .). Depends partly on the casting, though. Gary Oldman's a tough act to follow.

Yeah, that seems their intention... dunno why I'm so tense about it.

Maybe it's the fact that we're seeing a genuine superhero on an urban vigilante series? Barry could end up overshadowing Oliver . . .

But then again, I thought Stephen Amell held his own as an actor against both John Barrowman and Paul Blackthorne - which I don't consider easy to do. So while I'm curious to see how this plays out (and admittedly, a little cautious), I also have confidence that'll it'll be fun to watch.

Oh my... I remember that!

*blinks*

. . . Either it was rerun on a network, or you caught it on DVD - because as near as I can tell, you were born when it first aired.

Yeah - I really liked that show.

Maybe it's this what I'm afraid of, that they unnecessarily turns the show into the DC equivalent of Agents of SHIELD.

Or that they follow Smallville's example?

I couldn't agree more. It seems that season three is the "upper limit" for Tv series.

Though to be fair, a lot of them bounce back afterward - Season 5 for Buffy was better, if a little strange, and Angel's was awesome.

But maybe this could turn out for the best: the fact that Oliver is not a metahuman means that you don't have to ante up the happenings during each season, eventually bursting through the ceiling; kinda like the same thing that goes for Batman: Deadshot will always be a deadly foe, because bullets will always be something fatal.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - the challenge lies in the plotting, not the power.

Sherrinford
October 3rd, 2013, 08:06 PM
And as I think about it, you're right - that would work. Hm. And the guy behind "The Mentalist" is apparently doing the show, so it might actually be worthwhile (though how it'll play out in the long-term . . .). Depends partly on the casting, though. Gary Oldman's a tough act to follow.

Of course, as I personally imagine it, it would be quite a dark show... I'm thinking of A Serious House on Serious Earth, where even the Mad Hatter is turned into an eerie pedophile... "upgrading" some villains to make them really scary.

Gary Oldman is good, but this is supposed to be _young_ Gordon. It's not really a situation were the actor would have to prove something in comparison to Oldman's acting.

Maybe it's the fact that we're seeing a genuine superhero on an urban vigilante series? Barry could end up overshadowing Oliver . . .

But then again, I thought Stephen Amell held his own as an actor against both John Barrowman and Paul Blackthorne - which I don't consider easy to do. So while I'm curious to see how this plays out (and admittedly, a little cautious), I also have confidence that'll it'll be fun to watch.

Mah, dunno. Maybe I went a little too much "purist" on this matter. Derp.

*blinks*

. . . Either it was rerun on a network, or you caught it on DVD - because as near as I can tell, you were born when it first aired.

Yeah - I really liked that show.

In fact I only have really vague memories (mostly from games and advertisings), and if you consider that here in Italy it was aired starting from 1992... also, I found some episodes of it online not so much time ago, and yes, it was actually well done.

Or that they follow Smallville's example?

I can't really say, since I never really followed Smallville. But it should be obvious to the authors that the two series aren't similar in the slightest. That was a series about young Superman. An imp from the fifth dimension or a man building killing toys could have shown up, and that wouldn't have gone against canon. It would take a really bad case of sudden madness for the writers to fall into such a trapping pit. Perhaps the only "Smallville danger" is that, as I said, they start throwing in too many superpowered characters in a series of pointless cameos, but the chances are slim.

Kieran
October 3rd, 2013, 08:54 PM
Of course, as I personally imagine it, it would be quite a dark show... I'm thinking of A Serious House on Serious Earth, where even the Mad Hatter is turned into an eerie pedophile... "upgrading" some villains to make them really scary.

Probably true.

Gary Oldman is good, but this is supposed to be _young_ Gordon. It's not really a situation were the actor would have to prove something in comparison to Oldman's acting.

Well, I tend to think otherwise, because that's who people will be thinking of, and because no one has ever done a young (or younger) Gordon before. It's kind of like casting for the young Obi-Wan Kenobi - it's a tough role to make convincing.

(Yes, Ewan McGregor was brilliant, but I won't pretend it was easy, given the expectations he was up against.)

Mah, dunno. Maybe I went a little too much "purist" on this matter. Derp.

It happens. One reason I'm glad I'm not a dyed-in-the-wool Green Arrow fan - I can ignore a lot of the problems associated with being a canonist.

. . . Of course, when I'm thinking "that character's from Batman" every third episode, obviously I'm not entirely immune, either. :)

In fact I only have really vague memories (mostly from games and advertisings), and if you consider that here in Italy it was aired starting from 1992... also, I found some episodes of it online not so much time ago, and yes, it was actually well done.

Yeah, it was.

I can't really say, since I never really followed Smallville.

Neither did I, but from what I know, when they introduced the Justice League, it worked kind of like the character casting for X-Men: First Class - cherry-picking from various eras (like Cyborg from Teen Titans, and Impulse/Kid Flash from Young Justice).

But it should be obvious to the authors that the two series aren't similar in the slightest.

Should be, but it isn't always.

That was a series about young Superman. An imp from the fifth dimension or a man building killing toys could have shown up, and that wouldn't have gone against canon. It would take a really bad case of sudden madness for the writers to fall into such a trapping pit. Perhaps the only "Smallville danger" is that, as I said, they start throwing in too many superpowered characters in a series of pointless cameos, but the chances are slim.

We can hope - and so far, I do. :)

Sherrinford
October 5th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Ben Affleck's Batman is "tired, weary and seasoned" (http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/12/ben-afflecks-batman-tired-weary-and-seasoned)

Just so you know.

Sherrinford
October 13th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Finally managed to watch the first episode of Arrow's second season.

Good, although the episode felt a little odd-paced... but I guess it's not that unnatural considering it's the first episode of a second season. It seemed strange to me that he decided to isolate himself on the island, and as soon as his allies show up, he suddenly decides to go back home... but again, I guess he spent enough time mourning all those past months, and he got himself over it.

I understand now what Amell meant by more comic book elements, and being more of a proper hero... the way he rescues Felicity is pure superhero-like flamboyance :p. This, and more seriously also the fact that he acted more like an assassin than a hero, and he himself is the first to recognize it, to the point that even your copycats see you as one... it really got the point through, brilliantly.

Although I should say that if you want to become a hero with no-kill policy, you shouldn't use arrows as weapons :p. But hey, maybe he can use non-lethal arrow tips.

But no boxing glove arrow!

But the problem is, what kind of hero can he become? Sure, you can always spend your nights patrolling the streets like Batman (or Roy!), but that doesn't seem the case... and without major nemesis around... (although that Isabel totally looks like a foe, and not only to Oliver's persona). (Not to mention that I liked how the main character was known only as "a vigilante").

Kieran
October 13th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Finally managed to watch the first episode of Arrow's second season.

Promising, wasn't it? :)

Good, although the episode felt a little odd-paced... but I guess it's not that unnatural considering it's the first episode of a second season. It seemed strange to me that he decided to isolate himself on the island, and as soon as his allies show up, he suddenly decides to go back home... but again, I guess he spent enough time mourning all those past months, and he got himself over it.

More or less - from the looks of it, he spent 3 - 4 months there, so it's not unreasonable.

I understand now what Amell meant by more comic book elements, and being more of a proper hero... the way he rescues Felicity is pure superhero-like flamboyance :p.

But awesome - and very much in the Errol Flynn/Robin Hood tradition that Green Arrow was based on in the first place.

This, and more seriously also the fact that he acted more like an assassin than a hero, and he himself is the first to recognize it, to the point that even your copycats see you as one... it really got the point through, brilliantly.

I thought so too.

Although I should say that if you want to become a hero with no-kill policy, you shouldn't use arrows as weapons :p. But hey, maybe he can use non-lethal arrow tips.

But no boxing glove arrow!

From Amell: "I can see a line, somewhere in the future, that goes 'That idea sounds about as stupid as putting a boxing glove on an arrow.'" :D

But the problem is, what kind of hero can he become? Sure, you can always spend your nights patrolling the streets like Batman (or Roy!), but that doesn't seem the case... and without major nemesis around... (although that Isabel totally looks like a foe, and not only to Oliver's persona). (Not to mention that I liked how the main character was known only as "a vigilante").

Oh, I've heard of a few people coming around that will give him problems . . . :)

And Isabel definitely looks the type. It's weird - I've seen Summer Glau play a lot of different roles, but "bitch" is a new one. And scarily, she does it as well as she has any of her others. Definitely promising.

Sherrinford
October 13th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Promising, wasn't it? :)

Yup.

More or less - from the looks of it, he spent 3 - 4 months there, so it's not unreasonable.

Exactly.

But awesome

I never implied it wasn't. ;)

Oh, I've heard of a few people coming around that will give him problems . . . :)

Yay problems!

And Isabel definitely looks the type. It's weird - I've seen Summer Glau play a lot of different roles, but "bitch" is a new one. And scarily, she does it as well as she has any of her others. Definitely promising.

This may be just me, but I think I saw a glance or two of interest for Oliver in her eyes. I wonder if she likes challenges and people who can stand up to her.

P.S.: for a moment there, when they questioned him about who would fund him, I totally wanted him to say "Mr. Wayne, from Gotham City" :p

Kieran
October 13th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I never implied it wasn't. ;)

Fair enough - my apologies.

Yay problems!

Well, that's half the fun - and this week looks like it'll be a doozy. :D

. . . Long-term, however, I foresee Laurel causing problems. Amusing, really, to see that the Lances appear to have switched perspectives on the "vigilante." :)

This may be just me, but I think I saw a glance or two of interest for Oliver in her eyes. I wonder if she likes challenges and people who can stand up to her.

Maybe - but then again, maybe she just likes the challenge of crushing them.

P.S.: for a moment there, when they questioned him about who would fund him, I totally wanted him to say "Mr. Wayne, from Gotham City" :p

Understandable - and maybe even doable, with the whole "Batman Incorporated" thing. But I was just as pleased with who did show up. :)

TheInfamousMan
October 13th, 2013, 09:20 PM
Professor Pyg is handled horribly by anyone not Grant Morrison. Who agrees?

Sherrinford
October 14th, 2013, 07:18 AM
^ he's the guy with a pig mask that lobotomizes people, right? I don't know much about him (in fact, I don't know anything), but he looks like someone taken straight out of an horror movie.

Maybe - but then again, maybe she just likes the challenge of crushing them.

Yeah.

Understandable - and maybe even doable, with the whole "Batman Incorporated" thing. But I was just as pleased with who did show up. :)

Hey, Batman Inc.! That's something else they could adapt into a TV series.

Maybe. It would definitely need some "sharpening" as an idea. Because some members are just ridiculous.

And yeah, how could I forget about the new vigilante?! I can totally relate to Roy. Who the heck was she? Literally, my DC-fu fails me this time. Maybe Black Canary? Now that was one way to end the episode!

TheInfamousMan
October 14th, 2013, 08:08 AM
^ he's the guy with a pig mask that lobotomizes people, right? I don't know much about him (in fact, I don't know anything), but he looks like someone taken straight out of an horror movie.

Lobotomizes, drugs, castrate, and turn people into zombie-like slaves. Oh, and he's supposed to be bat-shit crazy and spout nonsense all the time, including dancing to 'sexy disco hot' every time he gets really frustrated or angry (and the action itself makes Pyg redefine wrong)

Unfortunately, anybody who tries to use him makes him speak... Clearly and sanely. It seems only Grant Morrison can write his creation the way it should be.

And yes, Pyg definitely belongs in a horror movie

Kieran
October 14th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Professor Pyg is handled horribly by anyone not Grant Morrison. Who agrees?

I think I've only read the character as handled by him - but seeing as I've read a grand total of two Morrison stories (one of them non-DC) that weren't utterly nonsensical crap, I can't see how anyone else could do worse.

Hey, Batman Inc.! That's something else they could adapt into a TV series.

Maybe. It would definitely need some "sharpening" as an idea. Because some members are just ridiculous.

On the other hand, we could get Blackbat back - AKA Cassandra Cain/Batgirl III. I miss her. :)

And yeah, how could I forget about the new vigilante?! I can totally relate to Roy. Who the heck was she? Literally, my DC-fu fails me this time. Maybe Black Canary? Now that was one way to end the episode!

The general look says Black Canary - but considering that Canary's civilian ID is "Dinah Lance," explaining it's going to be tricky. I've read some speculation that it's actually Sarah - but while that would be neat, again, it would require a lot of explaining.

TheInfamousMan
October 14th, 2013, 09:52 AM
I think I've only read the character as handled by him - but seeing as I've read a grand total of two Morrison stories (one of them non-DC) that weren't utterly nonsensical crap, I can't see how anyone else could do worse.

i dunno. I kinda liked his screwed up villains and the re-introduction of the Batmen of Nations/Club of Heroes.

Sherrinford
October 14th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Lobotomizes, drugs, castrate, and turn people into zombie-like slaves.

Yeah, that.

Oh, and he's supposed to be bat-shit crazy

That would have to be expected, considering what said above.

On the other hand, we could get Blackbat back - AKA Cassandra Cain/Batgirl III. I miss her. :)

I miss her too (kind of). She was one of the characters I got most interested in not too long ago.

The general look says Black Canary - but considering that Canary's civilian ID is "Dinah Lance," explaining it's going to be tricky.

Yeah, that's why I'm not sure.

I've read some speculation that it's actually Sarah - but while that would be neat, again, it would require a lot of explaining.

A lot indeed. But hey, we've never seen her body, and maaaybe, if Oliver survived, she could have survived too? :confused:

Kieran
October 14th, 2013, 10:37 AM
i dunno. I kinda liked his screwed up villains and the re-introduction of the Batmen of Nations/Club of Heroes.

I'm not saying he doesn't get interesting ideas to play with - but about halfway into them (if that long), they stop making any kind of sense. The only exceptions are The New 52's Action Comics (which I assume is because the editors were breathing down his neck on it), and Steed & Mrs. Peel, because The Avengers had an overtone of nonsense to it, anyway.

But All-Star Superman was like reading the bad old days of the Silver Age come back to life, and anything Batman that he touches . . . *shudder*

TheInfamousMan
October 14th, 2013, 11:02 AM
I'm not saying he doesn't get interesting ideas to play with - but about halfway into them (if that long), they stop making any kind of sense. The only exceptions are The New 52's Action Comics (which I assume is because the editors were breathing down his neck on it), and Steed & Mrs. Peel, because The Avengers had an overtone of nonsense to it, anyway.

But All-Star Superman was like reading the bad old days of the Silver Age come back to life, and anything Batman that he touches . . . *shudder*

Well, Grant is a self-admitted fanboy of old-school comics. So he tries to inject their general 'feel' and ideas into new ones in order to dissect and study why they worked and how they can work in the new modern comics. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

And All-Star was supposed to be a direct continuation of the Silver Age Comics. And while the Club of Heroes re-intro arc was good, the general Black Hand arc was a bit of a mess. The Zur-En-Arrh split personality was a pretty interesting idea, but Grant kind of handled it sloppily. Though I loved how most of those wacky Silver-Age adventures were just the result of drugs and a dream experiment. Something Bruce would totally try to do in order test his limits.

I would also like to point out that Action Comic's first few issues are actually a direct callback to Superman's roots as an anti-corruption hero who scared the snot out of corrupt businessmen. And like his old days, while he was bulletproof, fast, could leap tall buildings, and had superstrength he did have his limits.

Laith
October 14th, 2013, 05:40 PM
This is cool.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/14/superman-75-years-of-heroic-history-in-a-2-minute-animated-short-exclusive/

TheInfamousMan
October 14th, 2013, 07:01 PM
That would have to be expected, considering what said above.

You have no idea. Here's what he does for 'sexy disco hot'.

- - - Updated - - -

This is cool.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/10/14/superman-75-years-of-heroic-history-in-a-2-minute-animated-short-exclusive/

Holy crap you're right. It is pretty cool.

Sherrinford
October 15th, 2013, 07:19 AM
This is cool.

Really cool!

TheInfamousMan
October 15th, 2013, 01:04 PM
They must now do something like this for Batman. It would be awesome to see his history summed up in one short and well-animated video.

Laith
October 15th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Wait for his 75 anniversary

Sherrinford
October 15th, 2013, 04:22 PM
They must now do something like this for Batman. It would be awesome to see his history summed up in one short and well-animated video.

Oh yeah!

Kieran
October 15th, 2013, 06:18 PM

Wait for his 75 anniversary

In other words, next year. :D

TheInfamousMan
October 15th, 2013, 10:15 PM
In other words, next year. :D

Sweet.

Also, watched the Superheroes special on PBS. Have to admit, even Adam West can sound badass when reading lines from TDKR.

Kieran
October 16th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Sweet.

Also, watched the Superheroes special on PBS. Have to admit, even Adam West can sound badass when reading lines from TDKR.

Yeah, that one was fun to see - and while I suspect that old age is catching up to Julie Newmar (sadly), it affirms my opinion of Lou Ferrigno's awesomeness. :)

The funny thing is, I found "The Greatest American Hero: The Complete Series" not long afterwards, for cheap. So, of course I snapped it up. :D

Kieran
October 16th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Just finished tonight's "Arrow." I have two immediate reactions:

1) Stupid cliffhangers!

2) From her attitude all episode, I want to beat Laurel's face in, the sanctimonious little . . . *grrr*

Sherrinford
October 17th, 2013, 09:20 AM
Excellent episode as always!

1) "My secret identity is a black driver". Lol. Oh, and come on Oliver, I bet that was on purpose, just to make Felicity fumble on the double meaning.

2) Is Wilson... jealous?

3) That was a good compromise Roy, but I'm not sure Thea would think the same way when she finds out.

4) This episode's villains also should get a mention.

5) Yeah, Dinah is taking this far too emotionally, to the point of being slightly unreasonable, but it's not like you can't understand her: some people sometimes react that way, and considering the vigilante's past experiences, of course she doesn't trust him.

6) AAAAAAAAHHHH SHIT that cliffhanger!!

Will our hero manage to escape Dinah's trap and redeem his reputation? Tune in next week, same Arrow-time, same Arrow-channel! :p

Kieran
October 17th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Excellent episode as always!

Oh, definitely that. :)

1) "My secret identity is a black driver". Lol. Oh, and come on Oliver, I bet that was on purpose, just to make Felicity fumble on the double meaning.

That was cute.

2) Is Wilson... jealous?

Maybe - but going by some of what he said last season (about Wintergreen, specifically), I'm betting he's waiting for it to bite him in the ass.

3) That was a good compromise Roy, but I'm not sure Thea would think the same way when she finds out.

Oh hell no - she'll skin him alive.

4) This episode's villains also should get a mention.

Very true - and they're both still available for comebacks. I'm looking forward to the rematch between Arrow and Spawn Bronze Tiger.

5) Yeah, Dinah is taking this far too emotionally, to the point of being slightly unreasonable, but it's not like you can't understand her: some people sometimes react that way, and considering the vigilante's past experiences, of course she doesn't trust him.

Maybe - but I'm looking forward to seeing if it's her dad that tries to talk sense into her. :)

6) AAAAAAAAHHHH SHIT that cliffhanger!!

*growls* Yeah.

Will our hero manage to escape Dinah's trap and redeem his reputation? Tune in next week, same Arrow-time, same Arrow-channel! :p

And I'm old enough to get the reference - through reruns when I was a kid, true, but I get it. :D

Sherrinford
October 17th, 2013, 07:05 PM
But it was a cool cliffhanger.

Oh, and I used to sincerely like '60 Batman reruns (actually, I still do). All those oblique scene shots... it looked like a dream. A really nice artistic touch.

TheInfamousMan
October 17th, 2013, 07:13 PM
You do know there is a comic called Batman 66 right? Has the look and cheesiness of the Adam West show to boot.

ItsaRandomUsername
October 17th, 2013, 07:18 PM
We can totally use this thread to talk about Vertigo, right? Because I likes me some Vertigo.

TheInfamousMan
October 17th, 2013, 07:34 PM
We can totally use this thread to talk about Vertigo, right? Because I likes me some Vertigo.

Vertigo's a part of DC, so I assume yes.

MssrNeko
October 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM
For those unaware of the current going-ons in New 52, here's an old sample of the current things happening:

http://cdn.bleedingcool.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/IMG_00231.jpg?f6a06b

For those confused as to who this guy is, it is Lobo.

ItsaRandomUsername
October 17th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Ah New 52 Lobo, you give me such conflicted feelings.

Kieran
October 17th, 2013, 08:02 PM
But it was a cool cliffhanger.

True. I can't deny that - though I'm still ticked off.

Oh, and I used to sincerely like '60 Batman reruns (actually, I still do). All those oblique scene shots... it looked like a dream. A really nice artistic touch.

And all the classic (and sadly deceased) actors - Burgess Meredith, Vincent Price, Carolyn Jones . . . *sigh*

You do know there is a comic called Batman 66 right? Has the look and cheesiness of the Adam West show to boot.

I did not.

I don't see why not.

For those unaware of the current going-ons in New 52, here's an old sample of the current things happening . . . For those confused as to who this guy is, it is Lobo.

Ah New 52 Lobo, you give me such conflicted feelings.

Never liked him much to begin with, so I can't say I'm pleased - but I don't really care much, either, so it doesn't really bother me.

Sherrinford
October 17th, 2013, 08:15 PM

I find out just two days ago.

And yes, the new Lobo. I heard about it before.

Well, what can I say. Handsome Lobo. First of all, I never cared for the Lobo character. Second, the whole point behind the Lobo character is anyway outdated nowadays, while what's actual and modern are handsome, far-less gritty characters (?). Is this a good reason for such a change in design? Does it make sense? No. The writing of him must be excellence-level to work, methinks.

I have to admit that the design per se is a bit cool. But as Lobo? Eheheh no.

TheInfamousMan
October 17th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Plus, the new Lobo is still a badass.

Its just that people are put off by the radical change of history and design puts people off

Sherrinford
October 24th, 2013, 05:22 PM
The new episode is out!

Man, that Black Canary! I really like how they portrayed her sonic abilities. No superpowers (which makes sense with he general setting of the show, and what we know about non-lethal weapons - although I doubt sonic weapons work like that)... which makes me wonder even more how will they handle Flash. In any case, it's a useful gadget if you want to incapacitate the guards without wounding them and making them dropping the weapons.

"Why did you help me?" I guess I would have also asked how did she know about his location... was she following him?

I knew Felicity would have volunteered to the mission the second she suggested the idea. Brave girl. Also, nice parallel with Shado (or rather, what Wilson said about Shado).

Oh shit Laurel, from he frying pan...

Wait, more secret stuff? Moira has even more skeletons in the closet? It's like a matrioska. And holy shit the death penalty? There are no idle, uninteresting subplots in this series!

"Meanwhile", Ollie&co. get captured... I wonder if they'll stay on the ship or they will be taken somewhere else.

Shit, that's not Oliver, BC! That's Merlyn! Ruuun-wait, no, it's not him...

"Ra's al-Ghul has ordered you to return".

http://i.imgur.com/Q4bI5.gif

HOLY SHIIIIT.

*freaks out at Ra's being mentioned*

(Once again, I think the villain of the week should get a mention. Charismatic, scary enough, he brushes off arrows like nothing and can fight back.)

Spooky
October 24th, 2013, 09:58 PM
"Ra's al-Ghul has ordered you to return".

http://i.imgur.com/Q4bI5.gif

HOLY SHIIIIT.

*freaks out at Ra's being mentioned*

They said it wrong again! Don't just copy what the movie did, Arrow! It's pronounced raishe, damn it!

Ahem, yes. Just a small pet peeve of mine. You may now continue talking about how awesome the show is.

TheInfamousMan
October 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Who here's following Forever Evil?

Kieran
October 25th, 2013, 08:11 AM
They said it wrong again! Don't just copy what the movie did, Arrow! It's pronounced raishe, damn it!

Ahem, yes. Just a small pet peeve of mine. You may now continue talking about how awesome the show is.

With pleasure. :) And to be fair (although I agree with your peeve), that pronunciation is probably because of the way the movie did it - so it would be immediately recognisable to those who'd seen the other.

Nice to see Laurel didn't take too long to get her head out of her ass - and, like I'd hoped, it was dear old Dad who talked her down (I love the irony). Black Canary is awesome, and I loved the little dig at her identity in the form of her hideaway (you all saw it too, right?). :)

I am astonished that they can manage to keep getting better with every episode, and I'm looking forward to the next one. Now, if only my local network wouldn't keep spamming as many commercials as it does (eight minutes of them, followed by four minutes of program, and then another four minutes of commercials - seriously?!) . . . Stupid simulcasting rules.

Sherrinford
October 25th, 2013, 12:20 PM
Black Canary is awesome, and I loved the little dig at her identity in the form of her hideaway (you all saw it too, right?). :)

I only know that the clock tower is somewhat related to the Birds of Prey.

Now, if only my local network wouldn't keep spamming as many commercials as it does (eight minutes of them, followed by four minutes of program, and then another four minutes of commercials - seriously?!) . . . Stupid simulcasting rules.

Lol.

Btw, in case you didn't know about it already, I present:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odU1bHaYNDQ

Kieran
October 25th, 2013, 05:28 PM
I only know that the clock tower is somewhat related to the Birds of Prey.

Oracle's base of operations used to be the Gotham Clock Tower. :)

Sherrinford
October 26th, 2013, 07:09 PM
Now I'm curious, I wonder if we'll see someone else from the League of Shadows, actually being in the show rather than just a nameless guy who gets killed. Maybe Oliver-Arrow treads on Ras' feet, and the Demon Head starts sending assassins after him... after all, Bronze Tiger already made his appearance by himself, and from a quick updating research on DC wikia, Merlyn too is part of it (so he returns to Star City with his new friends, he finds an associated partner-protector-overseer in Ras al Ghul with whom planning his revenge?), along with Deathstroke-Slade Wilson. It's not like there aren't connection with the League at the moment.

Plus, characters like David Cain and Alpha would work well in Arrow's setting by default, considering they're more sober-dressed killers rather than deadly martial artists in spandex. Maybe we won't see Ras himself, but perhaps someone affiliated with him acting in his place (maybe one of his lesser heirs, trying to successfully accomplish an important mission to impress him and gain points)?

Kieran
October 26th, 2013, 07:24 PM
True. I'm holding out for Cain, now that you mentioned him - or Lady Shiva - because that means we might eventually see Cassandra.

. . . Yeah, I know, wrong setting - but I miss her, damn it!

Sherrinford
October 26th, 2013, 10:36 PM
Doubtful, I don't think member of the Bat-family would explicitly show up. And btw, Cain's character works well even without her daughter. But who knows. Arrow is going to be the springboard for Flash, so why not for Cassandra? Maybe in the story she could appear as not-yet-Batgirl, still-in-training daughter of David (who then puts the child against Oliver as training)?

Kieran
October 27th, 2013, 07:33 AM
I could live with that. :)

Blue
October 30th, 2013, 08:17 PM
Thought I'd drop this off here in case anyone hadn't seen it yet (http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/179987-the-trailer-for-justice-league-war-hits)

Kieran
October 31st, 2013, 11:09 AM
Huh - the first New 52 movie.

TheInfamousMan
October 31st, 2013, 11:17 AM
The only things I truly liked about New 52 is them realizing and showing how awesome Aquaman truly is (While making jokes about his Superfriends Incarnation) and Superman's redone early days/years by Grant Morrison.

Laith
October 31st, 2013, 11:17 AM
Talking about the Nu52, sort of, I may hate it but I loved flashpoint. So grim and dark for no reason other than being dark and grim.

The animated adaptation is cool. Some artistic choices baffled me tho.

Sherrinford
October 31st, 2013, 01:18 PM
Thought I'd drop this off here in case anyone hadn't seen it yet (http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/179987-the-trailer-for-justice-league-war-hits)

Eeeh, can't say I liked it.

I don't like Darkseid's voice (it doesn't work for me), and I can't say I'm particularly fond of WW's design.

You know the situation got serious when not even the ATMs are safe...:p

"An alien? Like Superman?" Perhaps you meant to say, an alien like the thousand of aliens you're supposed to have met as a Green Lantern?

Dat Bat-smirk.

What I liked though, is the latest episode of Arrow:

Felicity, so smart.

Aaaand it was Sarah indeed. Kudos to Kieran. And it looks like she went through hell in a quick span of time.

"I'm here for my daughter" "Ooooh shit" "Laurel" "Ooooh... that daughter"

Everyone seems to have a shitty aim though.

Holy shit who the fuck is that guy?! ...holy shit!

Kieran
October 31st, 2013, 03:45 PM
Eeeh, can't say I liked it.

I don't like Darkseid's voice (it doesn't work for me),

I can't remember whose it is - but I know him, and generally like him. And it could've been worse.

"An alien? Like Superman?" Perhaps you meant to say, an alien like the thousand of aliens you're supposed to have met as a Green Lantern?

That did seem kind of stupid, considering.

What I liked though, is the latest episode of Arrow:

Felicity, so smart.

I worry she'll be too much so for her own good, one of these days - but yeah. :)

Aaaand it was Sarah indeed. Kudos to Kieran.

Yeah - well, given that by name, Black Canary ought to be Laurel - and that we never saw her body - it didn't seem like a stretch. :)

And it looks like she went through hell in a quick span of time.

No joke - but Ra's Al Ghul . . . *shivers with excitement*

Everyone seems to have a shitty aim though.

Don't they always?

Holy shit who the fuck is that guy?! ...holy shit!

Never got into the Teen Titans, eh? I knew who he was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Blood) the moment I heard his name.

Sherrinford
October 31st, 2013, 06:20 PM
I can't remember whose it is - but I know him, and generally like him. And it could've been worse.

It's not like I don't like his voice in particular, it's just that it doesn't sound like the voice of Darkseid would. I mean, it's not intimidating at all.

I worry she'll be too much so for her own good, one of these days - but yeah. :)

You can never be too smart. Although she seems to not fear deadly situations as she did before, and this could be a problem in the future.

No joke - but Ra's Al Ghul . . . *shivers with excitement*

I don't follow you here (although yes, she has been in the League of Assassins).

Don't they always?

I mean I can understand if the mooks can't hit Oliver when he's jumping around in the dark, but the policemen were wasting bullets with a target in full view.

Never got into the Teen Titans, eh? I knew who he was (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brother_Blood) the moment I heard his name.

I did... oh yeah, that guy...

With a name like "Blood" you can only be a supervillain. Even in our world, let alone in comic book adaptation world :p. It just went under my radar somehow. I guess these are amongst the best experiences with he show, sometimes I don't catch all the references, and these turn out to be pleasant surprises.

Btw, the most shocking thing wasn't him being revealed as a bad guy, but the mask he was wearing. Like a mix between Scarecrow and Bane.

Oh, and the next episode is indeed titled "League of Assassins". *rubs hands in anticipation*

Kieran
October 31st, 2013, 08:41 PM
It's not like I don't like his voice in particular, it's just that it doesn't sound like the voice of Darkseid would. I mean, it's not intimidating at all.

Who would you prefer?

You can never be too smart. Although she seems to not fear deadly situations as she did before, and this could be a problem in the future.

Well, she seems not to fear them until she's actually in them, at least - and I agree with you.

I don't follow you here (although yes, she has been in the League of Assassins).

That was what the ninja guy said, last episode - Ra's Al Ghul orders you to return immediately. And just - he's one of the big guns. He's had the Justice League on the ropes before (with an assist by Batman, true, but still) . . . If Ra's is anywhere near the situation this year, Oliver is screwed.

"Arrow" is nothing if not ambitious this year, it seems.

I mean I can understand if the mooks can't hit Oliver when he's jumping around in the dark, but the policemen were wasting bullets with a target in full view.

Since when can cops hit anything in this sort of stuff? They follow the "inverse ninja" rule.

I did... oh yeah, that guy...

Yeah . . .

With a name like "Blood" you can only be a supervillain. Even in our world, let alone in comic book adaptation world :p. It just went under my radar somehow. I guess these are amongst the best experiences with he show, sometimes I don't catch all the references, and these turn out to be pleasant surprises.

I'm always impressed by the subtle ones they slip in - like Deadshot, last year, when he holed up in Room 52 of 1700 Broadway. As you said, they're such a pleasant surprise.

Btw, the most shocking thing wasn't him being revealed as a bad guy, but the mask he was wearing. Like a mix between Scarecrow and Bane.

Yeah - I'm personally more familiar with the second incarnation, and he doesn't wear one. So it was really surprising.

Oh, and the next episode is indeed titled "League of Assassins". *rubs hands in anticipation*

Yup. As usual, I can't wait. :D

(. . . And when will they release a soundtrack, damn it?!)

Sherrinford
October 31st, 2013, 09:35 PM
Who would you prefer?

Dunno. Not someone in particular. Just someone with a... lower, more menacing voice. Darkseid is the one who rules on the cosmic equivalent of hell, and tries to turn the whole universe into one...

Well, she seems not to fear them until she's actually in them, at least - and I agree with you.

At least she has a sense of survival.

That was what the ninja guy said, last episode - Ra's Al Ghul orders you to return immediately. And just - he's one of the big guns. He's had the Justice League on the ropes before (with an assist by Batman, true, but still) . . . If Ra's is anywhere near the situation this year, Oliver is screwed.

Ah, I see now. Well, as I said before, I doubt Ra's will make a physical appearance (at least, any time soon).

I'm always impressed by the subtle ones they slip in - like Deadshot, last year, when he holed up in Room 52 of 1700 Broadway. As you said, they're such a pleasant surprise.

I don't get the reference...

By the way, considering what I've read around about the difficulty of bringing metahumans in Arrow's setting, and what the Afroamerican guy said about mutations-deformities in the bodies, I wonder if somehow what they are looking for is some kind of power-granting serum or something. But what I don't understand is... why Japanese (Chinese) soldier-corpses?

And by the look on Sarah's face in the ending, I wonder if she's just angry at Oliver for "letting her die" or something like that, or if she was brainwashed...

And there's also the question of what exactly is the serum Blood is injecting people with...

Kieran
October 31st, 2013, 11:03 PM
Dunno. Not someone in particular. Just someone with a... lower, more menacing voice. Darkseid is the one who rules on the cosmic equivalent of hell, and tries to turn the whole universe into one...

So he's got to be good - believe me, I get it.

Ah, I see now. Well, as I said before, I doubt Ra's will make a physical appearance (at least, any time soon).

Hopefully - I mean, pulling a card like him in the second season? What do you do for an encore - Darkseid?

I don't get the reference...

"52" as in "New 52," obviously - and "1700 Broadway" is the address of DC Comics (I looked it up after having Flamebird ask, "1700 Broadway - doesn't this building get totalled in every major crisis?" in one of my graphic novels). :)

By the way, considering what I've read around about the difficulty of bringing metahumans in Arrow's setting, and what the Afroamerican guy said about mutations-deformities in the bodies, I wonder if somehow what they are looking for is some kind of power-granting serum or something. But what I don't understand is... why Japanese (Chinese) soldier-corpses?

I'm not sure - I'm not entirely up on DC's concept of Asia. It'll be fun finding out, though . . . Maybe they're retooling Venom?

And by the look on Sarah's face in the ending, I wonder if she's just angry at Oliver for "letting her die" or something like that, or if she was brainwashed...

Bit of both, maybe?

And there's also the question of what exactly is the serum Blood is injecting people with...

Whatever caused those mutations on the island, I'm assuming - which brings us back to the previous question . . .

TheInfamousMan
November 1st, 2013, 12:27 AM
This might be a little out of there, but I just love the Lego Batman in this Trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_JOBCLF-I

Sherrinford
November 1st, 2013, 11:23 AM
Hopefully - I mean, pulling a card like him in the second season? What do you do for an encore - Darkseid?

Lol.

"52" as in "New 52," obviously - and "1700 Broadway" is the address of DC Comics (I looked it up after having Flamebird ask, "1700 Broadway - doesn't this building get totalled in every major crisis?" in one of my graphic novels). :)

Ah, I see.

I'm not sure - I'm not entirely up on DC's concept of Asia.

Well, Ra's is distantly related to China...

It'll be fun finding out, though . . . Maybe they're retooling Venom?

That's what I thought as well.

Whatever caused those mutations on the island, I'm assuming - which brings us back to the previous question . . .

Again, I agree.

This might be a little out of there, but I just love the Lego Batman in this Trailer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ_JOBCLF-I

I can't even begin to explain why this is effin amazing.

Is this a full-fledged movie?

TheInfamousMan
November 1st, 2013, 06:21 PM
I can't even begin to explain why this is effin amazing.

Is this a full-fledged movie?

Yup! It's a full-fledged movie coming out in February!

Nice Liam Neeson is... strange to hear. The 'Hi Buddy!' line just cracked me up.

Also glad Lego Batman is, from what I'm understanding, an important-ish side character. Understandable considering all the attention Lego Batman gets.

Also laughed when they blew up BOTH The Batmobile and The Invisible Jet.

Sherrinford
November 2nd, 2013, 08:18 AM
I'm so hyped right now.

Sherrinford
November 2nd, 2013, 04:15 PM
So I was randomly browsing Deathstroke's character profile on the DC wikia, when this caught my eyes:

Green Arrow stuck an arrow in Deathstroke's right eye socket, enraging him.

Interesting, isn't it?

Also, I thought that the pierced mask on the island's beach meant Oliver killed Slade at some point, but:

Near the end of Identity Crisis, Deathstroke confronts Green Arrow on a rooftop. Arrow sees his reflection in the windows of a nearby building, but when he turns to confront Slade, Deathstroke is gone. Instead, Green Arrow finds Slade's cowl and a note stuck to the wall by the very arrow he stabbed in Slade's eye socket. The note reads, "This is yours - We're not done."

... it could be a memento left by Slade, between him and Oliver a fight breaks out, he overpowers the young man but doesn't kill him and leaves behind his mask as a "we'll meet again" note. Which could mean the Terminator is still alive!

Kieran
November 3rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
So I was randomly browsing Deathstroke's character profile on the DC wikia, when this caught my eyes:

Interesting, isn't it?

Also, I thought that the pierced mask on the island's beach meant Oliver killed Slade at some point, but:

... it could be a memento left by Slade, between him and Oliver a fight breaks out, he overpowers the young man but doesn't kill him and leaves behind his mask as a "we'll meet again" note. Which could mean the Terminator is still alive!

Both good points - it makes me wonder . . .

. . . Actually, I'm wondering if the Deathstroke/Green Arrow rivalry is a reflection of the dynamic of the show, or the cause - since I'm not entirely sure when it started.

Sherrinford
November 3rd, 2013, 07:45 PM
What do you mean?

Kieran
November 3rd, 2013, 08:34 PM
Well, the comicverse Deathstroke, as I knew him, primarily antagonised the Teen Titans - and it isn't unheard of for TV adaptations to influence the comics world - Marvel's Firestar and X-23 were both added to comics continuity as a result of their popularity in the cartoons they appeared in. The same applies to Harley Quinn and the Beast Boy/Raven romance, on the DC side.

So, my question is, did Deathstroke start antagonising Green Arrow before, or after they introduced him on "Arrow"?

TheInfamousMan
November 3rd, 2013, 08:38 PM
Well, the comicverse Deathstroke, as I knew him, primarily antagonised the Teen Titans - and it isn't unheard of for TV adaptations to influence the comics world - Marvel's Firestar and X-23 were both added to comics continuity as a result of their popularity in the cartoons they appeared in. The same applies to Harley Quinn and the Beast Boy/Raven romance, on the DC side.

So, my question is, did Deathstroke start antagonising Green Arrow before, or after they introduced him on "Arrow"?

Before, in the Identity Crisis storyline in the comics when Arrow stabbed an arrow point into his eyeless socket (which definitely hurt like hell) and blew his chance at getting money from Doctor Light (who was paying him to protect him from the Justice League who thought he killed Sue Dibney.)

Also, he antagonizes any hero so long as he's paid.

Kieran
November 3rd, 2013, 09:00 PM
Good to know - thanks. :)

Sherrinford
November 4th, 2013, 08:14 AM
Ah, I see.

Yeah, I think he's portrayed primarily as a Teen Titans antagonist, but the DC wiki lists him also a Green Arrow villain (just after listing him as a TT villains). As I posted and TheInfamousMan, the incident with GA happened before the airing of Arrow. And as TheInfamousMan said, it's not unheard of Deathstroke to go after any hero, if for a good reason; just think of Arkham Origins (he's also listed as a Batman villain, after all).

Sherrinford
November 4th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Well, at any rate... (http://www.ecksearoh.com/2010/07/bonvillains-six.html) they can be of inspiration... ? (http://www.ecksearoh.com/2010/07/bonvillains-seven.html) :p

Sherrinford
November 7th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Latest episode:

This time, there were somethings I should mention... like Diggle letting Sarah go (but maybe it's because he wanted her to have a private reconciliation with Lance?), or Moira suddenly not being afraid anymore, I dunno I just thought it was part of her subplot

Everything else, good as usual.

HE WASN'T MERLYN. Holy shit. He crushes into windows and catches arrows behind his back and gives no fucks.

"The child of Ra's al-Ghul" eheh. But is it a he or a she? Mystery~

Aw shit, Ivo? Now that was unexpected. Also, the actor does a good job, he looked really scary.

Sarah left. A pity.

Kieran
November 7th, 2013, 10:29 PM
Everything else, good as usual.

Hell yes. Best episode yet, in my opinion.

"The child of Ra's al-Ghul" eheh. But is it a he or a she? Mystery~

Ra's has had any number of children over the centuries, aside from - well, her. So it could be either/or, really. The real question is how Sarah, specifically, is connected to said individual. Ra's is going to an awful lot of trouble for one relatively unimportant individual.

. . . I'm actually wondering if said child calls Sarah "Mommy." It has been five years, after all.

Aw shit, Ivo? Now that was unexpected. Also, the actor does a good job, he looked really scary.

He did - and I recognise the name, but I can't remember why. Ah, well - something to surprise me, further on down the line. :)

Sarah left. A pity.

Quite true - I found her performance quite compelling, to say nothing of her appearance.

Elf
November 7th, 2013, 10:37 PM
Micheal Ironside will always be the best Darksied voice. Ever. You just can't beat that.

Also, Birds of Prey animated movie where, damn it!

Kieran
November 7th, 2013, 10:44 PM
Micheal Ironside will always be the best Darksied voice. Ever. You just can't beat that.

He was good, I admit. :)

I'd like to see Kevin Grievoux give it a try, to be honest.

Only in your imagination, sadly, since Barbara is once again Batgirl instead of Oracle - and it's not the same if she isn't.

Spooky
November 7th, 2013, 10:46 PM
So... anyone else read the new Sandman yet? I thought it was a good opening, especially after, what, 20ish years? There were a few things I found strange, but then again this is Gaiman.

Kieran
November 7th, 2013, 11:18 PM
*blinks* Didn't know there was one.

. . . Excuse me, I have a series to find.

Spooky
November 7th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Sandman Overture is the title. Only one issue is out now, and it's going to be a six issue series coming out bi-monthly. It's a prequel set directly before Morpheus was captured in Preludes and Nocturnes.

Sherrinford
November 8th, 2013, 08:09 AM
Ra's has had any number of children over the centuries, aside from - well, her. So it could be either/or, really.

Yep!

The real question is how Sarah, specifically, is connected to said individual. Ra's is going to an awful lot of trouble for one relatively unimportant individual.

For now, it looks more like she's connected to Ivo. I wonder how and if the "quality jump" happened. Also, I don't think that's the case... she's a renegade assassins (and a good one at that), and Ra's cannot allow that. Al-Owal also said she's the favorite (whether of Ivo's or the Demon's Head's is unknown right now).

And of course, I'm wondering what Ivo wants from the island, and if he's working for Ra's all along, what Ra's wants from him (and if this is not the case and the two are unrelated, how did Sarah jumped from a frying pan into a fire).

. . . I'm actually wondering if said child calls Sarah "Mommy." It has been five years, after all.

Uh, I... I didn't think of "Ra's child" in that way... that's surely something to look forward to be explained.

Quite true - I found her performance quite compelling, to say nothing of her appearance.

Yes, and also, considering her actual character, I think that the next time she'll resolve to return to Starling City and Oliver, it would be because she's in some serious trouble... even more than she is now.

-----------------

Oh, a Sandman prequel? That's interesting, to say the least. Brb.

Kieran
November 8th, 2013, 07:57 PM
For now, it looks more like she's connected to Ivo. I wonder how and if the "quality jump" happened. Also, I don't think that's the case... she's a renegade assassins (and a good one at that), and Ra's cannot allow that. Al-Owal also said she's the favorite (whether of Ivo's or the Demon's Head's is unknown right now).

And of course, I'm wondering what Ivo wants from the island, and if he's working for Ra's all along, what Ra's wants from him (and if this is not the case and the two are unrelated, how did Sarah jumped from a frying pan into a fire).

Yeah. Also, in looking the man up, he generally seems to specialise in robotics - so is this a re-vamp for the show, or a buildup for what you'd normally expect of him later on?

Uh, I... I didn't think of "Ra's child" in that way... that's surely something to look forward to be explained.

Well, from what was said, Ra's is obviously very much alive and still in charge - but Sarah is charged to return because of the child. That means that it's not a case of Ra's heir having taken control - which means that the connection has to be from another angle. Especially as she's told, "You overestimate your importance." Which means that they want her alive, if they can, rather than killing her outright like you would with a normal renegade. So the question remains, what would make Sarah so important to Ra's to overlook her defiance, even to a point? What would make her important to his child?

. . . Like I said, I figure she either birthed it, or she's engaged to it - that's a possibility, as well. And perhaps a slightly less creepy one for you. :D

Yes, and also, considering her actual character, I think that the next time she'll resolve to return to Starling City and Oliver, it would be because she's in some serious trouble... even more than she is now.

That's basically a given. :)

Personally, I kind of hope she's in town the next time Helena shows up - that would be a fight worth watching.

Oh, a Sandman prequel? That's interesting, to say the least. Brb.

Totally understandable. :)

Sherrinford
November 8th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Yeah. Also, in looking the man up, he generally seems to specialise in robotics - so is this a re-vamp for the show, or a buildup for what you'd normally expect of him later on?

That's why I was dumbfounded, it literally came out of nowhere. Yeah, his field of expertise is robotics - and what robotics! He's the man who built Amazo! So not exactly a third string villain that sometimes makes his appearance threatening the hero at hand, nor he's a random "mad scientist", he heavily specialize in robotics. You could actually expect something really serious from him in that field.

And that's my point. What could possibly an immortal quasi-mystical pseudo-Arabic master of assassins and eco-terrorist want from a genius roboticist, on a Chinese island and from WWII dead Japanese soldiers, I have no idea. The only thing I could think of, also keeping in mind Arrow's setting, is that it could have something to do with cybernetic implants that could benefit Ra's' assassins (also considering that both Deathstroke and KGBeast are around at this very time).

Well, from what was said, Ra's is obviously very much alive and still in charge - but Sarah is charged to return because of the child. That means that it's not a case of Ra's heir having taken control - which means that the connection has to be from another angle. Especially as she's told, "You overestimate your importance." Which means that they want her alive, if they can, rather than killing her outright like you would with a normal renegade. So the question remains, what would make Sarah so important to Ra's to overlook her defiance, even to a point? What would make her important to his child?

As I said, my guess is that while Ra's is alive and doing whatever he plans to, it's improbable that his heirs are just lazying around. My guess would be that the punitive expedition (and Ivo's... whatever relationship there is with Ivo) are an undergoing project of this "Mr.Unknown" (who would be one of Ra's' children, who has some sort of authority but as just one heir can be occasionally scoffed at as the "child", especially if not particularly successful in his plans up to that point, maybe??) (it should be also mentioned that at the end of season 1 a woman in the flashback timeline was shown having interests in the island... although I don't remember if she was Oliver's current boss).

Which means that they want her alive, if they can, rather than killing her outright like you would with a normal renegade. So the question remains, what would make Sarah so important to Ra's to overlook her defiance, even to a point?

I think that they only want her alive, so that she could be brought back and, like, publicly executed in front of the assassins for her defiance (or re-brainwashed, this time more heavily) in order to make an example out of her, instead of just killing her in a city far, far away; the results would be the same, but the impact would be different (all of this, of course, if we don't consider that Sarah could have another importance related to this "child", as you implied). And... I'm not sure I'm following you there, but I don't really think Ra's (or the one in his behalf) is overlooking her defiance... the first time "he" sent an envoy, to give her a choice. When this failed, he decided to not bother with details and sent his Number One with two assistants. Looks serious enough to me, like, he doesn't want to waste too much time on this matter.

(Btw, now that she has killed four assassin plus Al-Owal, I'm not sure her importance could/would be too much underestimated... :p)

. . . Like I said, I figure she either birthed it, or she's engaged to it - that's a possibility, as well. And perhaps a slightly less creepy one for you. :D

Not "creepy", but surely shocking.

Personally, I kind of hope she's in town the next time Helena shows up - that would be a fight worth watching.

Yeah, the Huntress is still at large...

Btw, I feel like a stupid for not having recognized that Bronze Tiger is Michael Jai White (and this isn't the first time that happens with M.J. White, although I regard him as a very good martial actor). Sigh, me.

Elf
November 8th, 2013, 11:14 PM
Only in your imagination, sadly, since Barbara is once again Batgirl instead of Oracle - and it's not the same if she isn't.

Or a Black Canary movie. I'm tired of female superheros being shafted. Or people thinking that Wonder Woman is the only female super hero that DC has. She isn't. Hell, she's not even the best one.

Besides, with an animated movie they don't need to keep up with the comics. They could adapt one of Gail Simone's stories when Ed Benes was the artist. Like how Huntress joined the team after Black Canary was kidnapped and Babs needed someone else for "legwork".

Hell, they even had an episode of Justice League Unlimited planned that was Birds of Prey. Batgirl gets injured, can't go out, so she enlists Dinah and Huntress to help her. However the Bat Embargo stopped that. Also, there was even an episode of Batman the Animated series that they had planned that had the Endless showing up, but it got canned by network executives because it was too adult.

Kieran
November 9th, 2013, 09:14 AM
That's why I was dumbfounded, it literally came out of nowhere. Yeah, his field of expertise is robotics - and what robotics! He's the man who built Amazo! So not exactly a third string villain that sometimes makes his appearance threatening the hero at hand, nor he's a random "mad scientist", he heavily specialize in robotics. You could actually expect something really serious from him in that field.

I know - that's why I initially thought I was wrong about who he was. I mean, with Amazo at the top of his accomplishments list, he's the kind of character you want to save for the Justice League. Pitting a robot like that against Oliver is just . . . Well, underusing its potential.

And that's my point. What could possibly an immortal quasi-mystical pseudo-Arabic master of assassins and eco-terrorist want from a genius roboticist, on a Chinese island and from WWII dead Japanese soldiers, I have no idea. The only thing I could think of, also keeping in mind Arrow's setting, is that it could have something to do with cybernetic implants that could benefit Ra's' assassins (also considering that both Deathstroke and KGBeast are around at this very time).

Or - and this is my theory - they've revamped him a little as a bioengineer, rather than a robotics expert. That is where the current plotline seems to be going. Or nanotech, maybe?

As I said, my guess is that while Ra's is alive and doing whatever he plans to, it's improbable that his heirs are just lazying around. My guess would be that the punitive expedition (and Ivo's... whatever relationship there is with Ivo) are an undergoing project of this "Mr.Unknown" (who would be one of Ra's' children, who has some sort of authority but as just one heir can be occasionally scoffed at as the "child", especially if not particularly successful in his plans up to that point, maybe??) (it should be also mentioned that at the end of season 1 a woman in the flashback timeline was shown having interests in the island... although I don't remember if she was Oliver's current boss).

I don't remember a woman being mentioned - just that Fyers had a boss of some form, who we never got information on. Just an electronically-distorted voice over the phone.

And to be fair, we're assuming a connection between the two - they could be completely separate plotlines. It all depends on how an Assassin got to the island, and got Canary off it.

. . . Although, now that I think about it - that green stuff in the syringes does look like the chemicals you find it a Lazarus Pit . . .

I think that they only want her alive, so that she could be brought back and, like, publicly executed in front of the assassins for her defiance (or re-brainwashed, this time more heavily) in order to make an example out of her, instead of just killing her in a city far, far away; the results would be the same, but the impact would be different (all of this, of course, if we don't consider that Sarah could have another importance related to this "child", as you implied). And... I'm not sure I'm following you there, but I don't really think Ra's (or the one in his behalf) is overlooking her defiance... the first time "he" sent an envoy, to give her a choice. When this failed, he decided to not bother with details and sent his Number One with two assistants. Looks serious enough to me, like, he doesn't want to waste too much time on this matter.

What I meant was that Ra's isn't normally the type to tolerate defiance - Batman and Talia being exceptions, and even then, only to a point. There has to be a specific reason he wants her alive at all, because if he just wanted to make an example out of her, they'd have just had orders to bring back her head. But they didn't immediately go for a kill, and Sarah seems to know why that is, since she was confident they wouldn't kill her (at least initially), giving rise to the line, "You overestimate your importance."

So there's got to be a deeper connection, since it's more trouble than he'd normally go to for a renegade Assassin.

(Btw, now that she has killed four assassin plus Al-Owal, I'm not sure her importance could/would be too much underestimated... :p)

Her skills, maybe - but her importance has yet to be determined.

Not "creepy", but surely shocking.

Like I said, it's the only reason I can see for Ra's treating her with kid gloves, that would involve a child of his. He's not known for mercy, otherwise.

Yeah, the Huntress is still at large...

Though since she's on another show, we may not see her for a while . . .

Btw, I feel like a stupid for not having recognized that Bronze Tiger is Michael Jai White (and this isn't the first time that happens with M.J. White, although I regard him as a very good martial actor). Sigh, me.

*chuckle* I had a bit of forewarning from Stephen Amell. Specifically, "We have Michael Jai White as Bronze Tiger - I get to fight Spawn, that'll be cool." :)

Or a Black Canary movie. I'm tired of female superheros being shafted. Or people thinking that Wonder Woman is the only female super hero that DC has. She isn't. Hell, she's not even the best one.

Very true - and even of her circle, I prefer Donna to Diana. Personally, I'd like to see a Supergirl movie (she's always fun), or Batgirl (Barbara, Cassandra, or Stephanie). Or, even we're going for really "out there" choices, how about one from Tefe's run on "Swamp Thing?"

Besides, with an animated movie they don't need to keep up with the comics. They could adapt one of Gail Simone's stories when Ed Benes was the artist. Like how Huntress joined the team after Black Canary was kidnapped and Babs needed someone else for "legwork".

Point.

Hell, they even had an episode of Justice League Unlimited planned that was Birds of Prey. Batgirl gets injured, can't go out, so she enlists Dinah and Huntress to help her. However the Bat Embargo stopped that.

That's the problem when you license too many things to too many other entities - it's why Wonder Girl never showed up on "Teen Titans."

Also, there was even an episode of Batman the Animated series that they had planned that had the Endless showing up, but it got canned by network executives because it was too adult.

Damn - I would've liked to see that.

Sherrinford
November 9th, 2013, 11:11 AM
I know - that's why I initially thought I was wrong about who he was. I mean, with Amazo at the top of his accomplishments list, he's the kind of character you want to save for the Justice League. Pitting a robot like that against Oliver is just . . . Well, underusing its potential.

Yup, also considering that Green Arrow (and Batman) are the only two main heroes in DC that haven't powers to copy.

Or - and this is my theory - they've revamped him a little as a bioengineer, rather than a robotics expert. That is where the current plotline seems to be going. Or nanotech, maybe?

Yup, that's what I meant.

And to be fair, we're assuming a connection between the two - they could be completely separate plotlines. It all depends on how an Assassin got to the island, and got Canary off it.

Point. Although I'm really inclined to think there is some sort of connection, even if feeble.

. . . Although, now that I think about it - that green stuff in the syringes does look like the chemicals you find it a Lazarus Pit . . .

Why would Ra's share the Lazarus Pit properties? Even more considering that it was shown being used not on a moribund person.

Btw, I checked on the wiki, and I found this:

The Church of Blood possesses a device that functions similarly to that of a Lazarus Pit. The Teen Titan known as Raven used one of these pits to resurrect her former college classmate, Jericho.

What I meant was that Ra's isn't normally the type to tolerate defiance - Batman and Talia being exceptions, and even then, only to a point. There has to be a specific reason he wants her alive at all, because if he just wanted to make an example out of her, they'd have just had orders to bring back her head. But they didn't immediately go for a kill, and Sarah seems to know why that is, since she was confident they wouldn't kill her (at least initially), giving rise to the line, "You overestimate your importance."

So there's got to be a deeper connection, since it's more trouble than he'd normally go to for a renegade Assassin.

Ah, I see now.

Her skills, maybe - but her importance has yet to be determined.

Yeah, but even so... what I meant was, with her recently witnessed skills and the resources of an ex-insider/renegade, she can be dangerous to the League.

Though since she's on another show, we may not see her for a while . . .

??

- - - Updated - - -

At first I misread it as a live action movie, which would be highly unlikely, but an animated movie... maybe.

In the meantime, no one does it better than the Birds of Prey. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA)

(hey, at least it's something)

Also, there was even an episode of Batman the Animated series that they had planned that had the Endless showing up, but it got canned by network executives because it was too adult.

That would have been sooo cool.

Kieran
November 9th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Yup, also considering that Green Arrow (and Batman) are the only two main heroes in DC that haven't powers to copy.

Exactly - so what's the point? *blinks* Unless . . . Nah, that's overdoing it, really.

Yup, that's what I meant.

Makes sense.

Point. Although I'm really inclined to think there is some sort of connection, even if feeble.

*nods* It's a reasonable assumption. But they've surprised us before, too.

Why would Ra's share the Lazarus Pit properties? Even more considering that it was shown being used not on a moribund person.

Who says he did? It was stolen, perhaps?

Btw, I checked on the wiki, and I found this:

So they do - I even saw her use it, but I'd forgotten. Hm . . .

Ah, I see now.

Yeah.

Yeah, but even so... what I meant was, with her recently witnessed skills and the resources of an ex-insider/renegade, she can be dangerous to the League.

Point. But that's even more reason to just kill her out of hand, right? So why didn't they?

. . . It's something I look forward to finding out - but hence my theories at the moment.

??

- - - Updated - - -

At first I misread it as a live action movie, which would be highly unlikely, but an animated movie... maybe.

It would be cool, wouldn't it? :)

In the meantime, no one does it better than the Birds of Prey. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAFP0IoMfsA)

(hey, at least it's something)

Honestly? Given the choice, I'll take the live-action version (flawed adaptation though it was).

That would have been sooo cool.

Yeah.

Sherrinford
November 9th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Exactly - so what's the point? *blinks* Unless . . . Nah, that's overdoing it, really.

What? Arrow vs All-Your-JLA-Powers-combined-Amazo? Arrow and Batman vs Amazo? :p

Who says he did? It was stolen, perhaps?

It could be. If this is the case, it could also explain why Brother Blood is experimenting with it.

It would be cool, wouldn't it? :)

Not that I now much about the Birds of Prey, but my reaction to this suggestion would be... "why not? Go for it". Even more considering that the WW animated movie was really good.

Yeah.

Like, it would be super cool if done right. Not that I think Batman is particularly the best and first choice for a "supernatural story", but with the Endless(es) it could be dark enough for a Dark Knight story. :)

Kieran
November 9th, 2013, 12:18 PM
What? Arrow vs All-Your-JLA-Powers-combined-Amazo? Arrow and Batman vs Amazo? :p

Well, I was just considering the fact that they'll be letting in super powers this year - so maybe, after dealing with a handful of villains with powers, he has to handle somebody with all of them at once?

It could be. If this is the case, it could also explain why Brother Blood is experimenting with it.

That would be my thought.

Not that I now much about the Birds of Prey, but my reaction to this suggestion would be... "why not? Go for it". Even more considering that the WW animated movie was really good.

It was underrated, at the very least.

Like, it would be super cool if done right. Not that I think Batman is particularly the best and first choice for a "supernatural story", but with the Endless(es) it could be dark enough for a Dark Knight story. :)

No kidding.

Sherrinford
November 9th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Well, I was just considering the fact that they'll be letting in super powers this year - so maybe, after dealing with a handful of villains with powers, he has to handle somebody with all of them at once?

I don't know, honestly. If superpowers were the matter, they had the chance to introduce them sooner, but they didn't. And I doubt they'll go for the Smallville option, eventually bringing in every metahuman they can (if only for the reason of rights). If it will ever appear, Arrow!Amazo would be (very) different from the usual one IMO.

It was underrated, at the very least.

I don't know about that, IIRC it was like, the third or fifth best selling animated movie DC had.

Kieran
November 9th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I don't know, honestly. If superpowers were the matter, they had the chance to introduce them sooner, but they didn't. And I doubt they'll go for the Smallville option, eventually bringing in every metahuman they can (if only for the reason of rights). If it will ever appear, Arrow!Amazo would be (very) different from the usual one IMO.

That's basically a given - but it's why it would almost be better to wait, and do some powers stories first . . . *shrug* Anyways, you can see why I thought I was mistaken when I first heard Ivo's name.

I don't know about that, IIRC it was like, the third or fifth best selling animated movie DC had.

Really - I was under the impression that it hadn't done that well, for some reason.

Kieran
November 13th, 2013, 11:02 PM
And "Arrow" continues this season's traditions of stealing the Teen Titans' villains - just as they swiped from Batman last year. So, my question is: when will Oliver have to kneel before Zod? :D

forumghost
November 13th, 2013, 11:05 PM
And "Arrow" continues this season's traditions of stealing the Teen Titans' villains - just as they swiped from Batman last year. So, my question is: when will Oliver have to kneel before Zod? :D

Never, Superman snapped his neck. ;)

Kieran
November 14th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Until he's accidentally revived in a government attempt to harvest and utilise Kryptonian DNA - or spontaneously regenerates using stored bio-converted solar energy, or his clone is decanted . . . :D

Mattias
November 14th, 2013, 02:44 AM
Until he's accidentally revived in a government attempt to harvest and utilise Kryptonian DNA - or spontaneously regenerates using stored bio-converted solar energy, or his clone is decanted . . . :D

Or it turns out he's really Doomsday, and just never stays dead.

Kieran
November 14th, 2013, 03:12 PM
That would be another one they ought to save for the Justice League movie - it'll be more impressive, then. :)

Sherrinford
November 14th, 2013, 04:45 PM
A lot of things happened!

Was it such a pressing matter that couldn’t have waited the end of the dialogue (not even with a quick excuse)?

“... I knew you were there” they managed to make Roy funny (in the good way, of course).

Wow Diggle on the look-out. Also, nice to see him under the spotlight.

And the show drops the second bomb with Amanda Waller (although I have to say she looks nothing like Amanda Waller). Now Deathstroke must appear along with the Suicide Squad, wait no, even better, make a whole new series for it.

(Detective lance really made a U-turn from his first impression of Arrow, uh.)

S.T.A.R .labs~

“The potential catastrophic risk of turning on this machine…” foooreshadowing~ (it also slightly mirrors real-life events)

Dem smiles between Oliver and Diggle.

Maybe what Ivo’s after isn’t advanced technology per se, but a power source… something relatively small and compact that can be used to power androids and weapons (and which is tied with the STAR labs’ “machine”?), which would also explain why it must searched and not just found on the site.
Nope.

So the Japanese invented the super soldier serum? And they gave it an English name? in the middle of WWII? More like a whole century ahead of their own times considering we can’t produce such a thing now. Uh.

Isabel, don't badmouth Felicity... although I have to say I quite like her character in this episode. Also the relationship between Isabel and Oliver really took an unexpected turn.

Naaah, I want to know what he said!

Yep, I think Slade feels something for Shado. Now I wonder if Oliver ends up killing Shado, and this causes some frictions between him and Slade…

I don’t understand why Thea couldn’t tell him the true reason behind the “break-up” (which can totally be just temporary)…

Aaand the HIVE too. Well, now I’m surely wondering why Andy Diggle had to die.

Oh Felicity… I honestly didn’t realize…

As a side note, inspired by the recap, I wonder what would happen if Roy finds out Mr.Oliver Queen is affiliated (and in fact a high-ranking member) with the Russian mafia...

Ok, I lol'd.

(but that's not true!)

Kieran
November 14th, 2013, 07:08 PM
A lot of things happened!

So, in the interests of time, I'll only cover some of them.

“... I knew you were there” they managed to make Roy funny (in the good way, of course).

A nice change from the other way. :)

And the show drops the second bomb with Amanda Waller (although I have to say she looks nothing like Amanda Waller).

This is not a bad thing, since you'd actually CCH Pounder (or someone like her) to play the part.

Now Deathstroke must appear along with the Suicide Squad, wait no, even better, make a whole new series for it.

Copycat shows (and with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., that's how people would see it) rarely last.

(Detective lance really made a U-turn from his first impression of Arrow, uh.)

Not a bad thing - I had a hard time dealing with Harry Dresden as an ass, last year.

S.T.A.R .labs~

“The potential catastrophic risk of turning on this machine…” foooreshadowing~ (it also slightly mirrors real-life events)

Yeah, they've been mentioning that basically from episode one this year. I can't remember where I've seen something like it before - oh, wait. There was that whole thing with Unidac Industries . . .

Maybe what Ivo’s after isn’t advanced technology per se, but a power source… something relatively small and compact that can be used to power androids and weapons (and which is tied with the STAR labs’ “machine”?), which would also explain why it must searched and not just found on the site.
Nope.

So the Japanese invented the super soldier serum? And they gave it an English name? in the middle of WWII? More like a whole century ahead of their own times considering we can’t produce such a thing now. Uh.

Comic books. :) Though I find it interesting that technically, that ought to be the Miracleman serum . . .

Isabel, don't badmouth Felicity... although I have to say I quite like her character in this episode. Also the relationship between Isabel and Oliver really took an unexpected turn.

Yup - nice to see her as something beyond a bitch (even if not too far beyond it).

Yep, I think Slade feels something for Shado. Now I wonder if Oliver ends up killing Shado, and this causes some frictions between him and Slade…

Considering Shado's comic history, I'm hoping not (there are developments I'd like to see happen in future years), but I won't rule it out.

. . . And come on - we all knew he'd need the mask eventually. :)

I don’t understand why Thea couldn’t tell him the true reason behind the “break-up” (which can totally be just temporary)…

I grant you, that one puzzled me. I still have no answer.

Aaand the HIVE too. Well, now I’m surely wondering why Andy Diggle had to die.

Yup, but now we know who to blame, because who does the HIVE report to? Say it with me, now . . . :D

Oh Felicity… I honestly didn’t realize…

Really? They toyed with it last year. I didn't realise it had gotten that bad, but I knew it was there.

As a side note, inspired by the recap, I wonder what would happen if Roy finds out Mr.Oliver Queen is affiliated (and in fact a high-ranking member) with the Russian mafia...

Fun and games? :D

Ok, I lol'd.

(but that's not true!)

Which part isn't?

Sherrinford
November 14th, 2013, 08:15 PM
A nice change from the other way. :)

Mah, I like Roy's usual personality.

This is not a bad thing, since you'd actually CCH Pounder (or someone like her) to play the part.

I know, let's just say that Amanda's character is so unique, it doesn't need to be changed.

Copycat shows (and with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., that's how people would see it) rarely last.

How come a team of mis-matched, put-together-on-the-spot supervillains forced to run undercover missions for the US under the threat of blowing up if they screw up or revolt would be a copycat of Agents of SHIELD?

(Also, uh, I totally thought Deathstroke was a member of the Suicide Squad at one point, but after checking out apparently he was not.)

Comic books. :) Though I find it interesting that technically, that ought to be the Miracleman serum . . .

I know, but I would have expected something... I won't say "better", but "different" for sure. And about Miracleman... mh, I recognize the name, but I don't remember the character. BRB checking.

Yup - nice to see her as something beyond a bitch (even if not too far beyond it).

Oh come on, I think she's a perfectly likeable character. Since when she acted that way?

. . . And come on - we all knew he'd need the mask eventually. :)

Ok, I have to say something about this point. *clears throat*

When I first saw Bill wearing the mask, I couldn't help but giggle. Because really, it looked really silly on him. Then I realized how scary it was exactly because it looked silly; a torturer wearing such a mask can only be a sadistic psychopath devoid of empathy.

What I didn't like was that in-context, the mask doesn't quite make sense. I mean, it gives no camouflage (and again, it looks silly). If anything, now that the right side of his face his scarred it would be a good reason to choose such a pattern for a mask. So... I guess the only thing I can say is, perhaps I would preferred if they had introduced the iconic Deathstroke mask later on in the series... ?

This being said, I wonder if he'll end up losing the eye anyway and wear the mask not just because of the burn.

Yup, but now we know who to blame, because who does the HIVE report to? Say it with me, now . . . :D

Jesus?

I've been told Jesus is the answer to anything (no really, I don't know).

Really? They toyed with it last year. I didn't realise it had gotten that bad, but I knew it was there.

Well, yes, I know that sooner or later it would have happened, but it was something really at an embryonic level... like, something that would have developed in a two more seasons or so, more "later" than "sooner", but now we find out that all along...

That quite surprised me.

Kieran
November 14th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Mah, I like Roy's usual personality.

Yeah, but we don't need him to be used as a joke all the time - particularly if he ends up assuming his sidekick destiny.

I know, let's just say that Amanda's character is so unique, it doesn't need to be changed.

Shot through the head, maybe, but not changed. (Sorry, my first experience with her was the "Justice League" cartoon - and I do not like her.)

How come a team of mis-matched, put-together-on-the-spot supervillains forced to run undercover missions for the US under the threat of blowing up if they screw up or revolt would be a copycat of Agents of SHIELD?

A team of government-ish comic book characters by the Other Big Publisher, when Marvel has a success in the same genre? You know people would see it that way. The same people saw "Arrow" as "designed to appeal to the Katniss Everdeen set," according to one reviewer last year. :rolleyes:

(Also, uh, I totally thought Deathstroke was a member of the Suicide Squad at one point, but after checking out apparently he was not.)

An understandable mistake - he seems a natural fit.

I know, but I would have expected something... I won't say "better", but "different" for sure. And about Miracleman... mh, I recognize the name, but I don't remember the character. BRB checking.

. . . While we're on the subject, I think I know at least part of what's going to happen with this stuff.

Oh come on, I think she's a perfectly likeable character. Since when she acted that way?

Her introduction?

Ok, I have to say something about this point. *clears throat*

When I first saw Bill wearing the mask, I couldn't help but giggle. Because really, it looked really silly on him. Then I realized how scary it was exactly because it looked silly; a torturer wearing such a mask can only be a sadistic psychopath devoid of empathy.

What I didn't like was that in-context, the mask doesn't quite make sense. I mean, it gives no camouflage (and again, it looks silly). If anything, now that the right side of his face his scarred it would be a good reason to choose such a pattern for a mask. So... I guess the only thing I can say is, perhaps I would preferred if they had introduced the iconic Deathstroke mask later on in the series... ?

This being said, I wonder if he'll end up losing the eye anyway and wear the mask not just because of the burn.

Possibly - but I think I know one thing that will happen to him (see above).

Jesus?

I've been told Jesus is the answer to anything (no really, I don't know).

I'm sure you can guess, but if you do want to know . . .

Brother Blood.

Well, yes, I know that sooner or later it would have happened, but it was something really at an embryonic level... like, something that would have developed in a two more seasons or so, more "later" than "sooner", but now we find out that all along...

That quite surprised me.

It surprised me, too - but only in that it had gotten that strong, for her.

Sherrinford
November 15th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Yeah, but we don't need him to be used as a joke all the time

No, of course not.

Shot through the head, maybe, but not changed. (Sorry, my first experience with her was the "Justice League" cartoon - and I do not like her.)

I'm not saying she's a particularly favorite character of mine, just that she's a unique... figure.

A team of government-ish comic book characters by the Other Big Publisher, when Marvel has a success in the same genre? You know people would see it that way. The same people saw "Arrow" as "designed to appeal to the Katniss Everdeen set," according to one reviewer last year. :rolleyes:

I'll have to disagree. Also, just because one (dumb) reviewer says something, it doesn't mean it's true or that everybody thinks the same.

. . . While we're on the subject, I think I know at least part of what's going to happen with this stuff.

?

Her introduction?

Not particularly. She's been consistent in her character of "I have to say this company from a billionaire playboy who just goes along with the mood" IMO.

I'm sure you can guess, but if you do want to know . . .

Brother Blood.

Oh yeah, I had a suspect, but wasn't sure. But he seems a local menace now (unless the Glades is just his testing ground), why would he order the assassination of someone who probably never step foot in Starling City, that's what I'm wondering...

Kieran
November 15th, 2013, 06:55 PM
I'm not saying she's a particularly favorite character of mine, just that she's a unique... figure.

*chuckles* In a very literal sense.

I'll have to disagree. Also, just because one (dumb) reviewer says something, it doesn't mean it's true or that everybody thinks the same.

Oh, I'm not entirely certain that that's what would happen, myself - but I'm certainly afraid that it would be. The fact that the Suicide Squad doesn't really have any A-listers attached to it that I'm aware of (like, say, the Joker, or some other universally known figure) would also make it hard. Not that I don't think they couldn't do it - Green Arrow isn't exactly on the Top Ten list of best-known comic heroes - but it would be extra obstacles against the show's doing well.

?

Well, Deathstroke is known to have superhuman abilities that compensate for the loss of his eye - and brought on by a serum, as part of a military experiment yet. So my money says that Slade's going to get a needle sometime in the relatively nearby future.

Not particularly. She's been consistent in her character of "I have to say this company from a billionaire playboy who just goes along with the mood" IMO.

As I recall, Felicity described her reputation as a little more vicious than that, however.

Oh yeah, I had a suspect, but wasn't sure. But he seems a local menace now (unless the Glades is just his testing ground), why would he order the assassination of someone who probably never step foot in Starling City, that's what I'm wondering...

I suspect we'll find out as time goes on.

Sherrinford
November 15th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Well, Deathstroke is known to have superhuman abilities that compensate for the loss of his eye - and brought on by a serum, as part of a military experiment yet. So my money says that Slade's going to get a needle sometime in the relatively nearby future.

Ah, I see. I wonder... what if Slade gets hit by another fatal hit, and he actually has to use the serum to survive? /WMG.

Kieran
November 15th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Maybe - but anyways, that's where I suspect we'll end up, sooner or later.

Sherrinford
November 21st, 2013, 12:07 PM
Poor Ollie. He keeps being betrayed by the women he loves.

Nice "mask", Slade. Looks like you were right, Kieran.

You know, in this case, some trick arrows would have actually helped.

Wow, that was quite a roller coaster for Starling City.

Brother Blood shouldn't keep his mask so out in the open. I mean, he's probably surrounded by loyal minions, therefore getting to it wouldn't be simple, but still... btw, looks like his experiments are finally bearing fruits.

Yeah, I'm afraid Felicity is developing a certain taste for danger.

Aaand that was an unexpected victory. Although as soon as she was declared not guilty I suspected something. Well, I suspected someone was trying to befriend Oliver from the shadows... but not the return of Merlyn (yaay!). I also suspected of a illegitimate child, but not Thea... :eek:

"Did you kill your first husband?" well that was a casually random and awkwardly shocking question for you to ask, thank you very much nameless reporter...

I don't get the Japanese way to hide things... why hide the lead (yourself) if you're going to point out the location anyway? Or maybe they abandoned the submarine, tried to run, but died?

This time, I can't say I liked the action scenes. Slade and Shado show up, one half-dead and the other with a bow, and the bad guys can't do anything? Maybe because they needed them alive? And even when they do something, they can't even hit the plants... also, Oliver vs Count, the Count must have really bad reaction speed times... Oliver nocks a new arrow and shoots from a relaxed position and he doesn't even notice what kills him. Oh well.

And the next episode... the episode we are all waiting for!

Kieran
November 22nd, 2013, 09:10 AM
Poor Ollie. He keeps being betrayed by the women he loves.

So far as we know, Shado hasn't hit that list yet - of course, given the actions of her comic book counterpart, it's certainly a possibility.

Nice "mask", Slade. Looks like you were right, Kieran.

Yeah - when you know Deathstroke, the setup is just too obvious. Which is not to say that it was wrong, or not cool, just something I could see coming.

You know, in this case, some trick arrows would have actually helped.

Well, in re-watching the first season, I got reminded that he actually does have a few, including a couple with combat applications - the explosive arrows, the ones with some kind of bola/tangle web, and so on. He just needs to use them more often.

Wow, that was quite a roller coaster for Starling City.

No joke. I almost wish they hadn't tried to do both plots at once.

Brother Blood shouldn't keep his mask so out in the open. I mean, he's probably surrounded by loyal minions, therefore getting to it wouldn't be simple, but still... btw, looks like his experiments are finally bearing fruits.

Yeah, on both counts - I can't think of a "Cyrus" off the top of my head, though, so he's probably expendable.

Yeah, I'm afraid Felicity is developing a certain taste for danger.

Even my mom noticed that. :rolleyes: I mean, would it kill the guys to at least give her a panic button? Even Oliver has a tracking device in his boot.

Aaand that was an unexpected victory. Although as soon as she was declared not guilty I suspected something. Well, I suspected someone was trying to befriend Oliver from the shadows... but not the return of Merlyn (yaay!). I also suspected of a illegitimate child, but not Thea... :eek:

No, I didn't see any of that coming, so it just about brought on a heart attack (and Thea actually does make sense, if you consider that she doesn't really resemble her parents much. More to the point, Merlyn's presence argues a divergence from the Batman movies, in the existence of the Lazarus Pits this time around - though my mother was not pleased by such a "stupid" development.

To some extent, I can see her point: having Merlyn cheat death after all that went into bringing him down in the first place is kind of cheap. On the other hand, more John Barrowman is always good. :D

"Did you kill your first husband?" well that was a casually random and awkwardly shocking question for you to ask, thank you very much nameless reporter...

Yeah - but that was kind of the point, too.

I don't get the Japanese way to hide things... why hide the lead (yourself) if you're going to point out the location anyway? Or maybe they abandoned the submarine, tried to run, but died?

Probably. If it ran aground, it was probably too damaged to repair or salvage, so they had to live on the island and hope for rescue. I'm betting that the arrowhead was carved for their people when they realised they wouldn't survive (since it's probably written in Japanese calligraphy).

This time, I can't say I liked the action scenes. Slade and Shado show up, one half-dead and the other with a bow, and the bad guys can't do anything? Maybe because they needed them alive? And even when they do something, they can't even hit the plants... also, Oliver vs Count, the Count must have really bad reaction speed times... Oliver nocks a new arrow and shoots from a relaxed position and he doesn't even notice what kills him. Oh well.

This time around, action wasn't the focus. We'll hope for next time.

And the next episode... the episode we are all waiting for!

Sadly, thanks to simulcasting (and an utter bastard of a Canadian network), I miss the "next episode" previews. So I'll have to wait and be surprised.

Sherrinford
November 22nd, 2013, 01:29 PM
So far as we know, Shado hasn't hit that list yet - of course, given the actions of her comic book counterpart, it's certainly a possibility.

Good point!

I wonder if their relationship will develop like in the comics... maybe sans the rape part... but like in the comics?

More to the point, Merlyn's presence argues a divergence from the Batman movies, in the existence of the Lazarus Pits this time around - though my mother was not pleased by such a "stupid" development.

To some extent, I can see her point: having Merlyn cheat death after all that went into bringing him down in the first place is kind of cheap. On the other hand, more John Barrowman is always good. :D

Well, it would have been weird if Merlyn wouldn't return (although I wouldn't have said so soon). At first I thought the idea of Ra's allowing him (?) to use the Pit didn't convince me much, but I guess it makes sense, if Merlyn is some kind of "prodigal son" like Bruce was supposed to be in Batman Begins.

(Technically, the Lazarus Pit could have existed in Nolanverse... it just wasn't mentioned :P)

Sadly, thanks to simulcasting (and an utter bastard of a Canadian network), I miss the "next episode" previews. So I'll have to wait and be surprised.

Oh I don't want to be spoiled. I want to enjoy the surprise.

Kieran
November 22nd, 2013, 06:37 PM
Good point!

I wonder if their relationship will develop like in the comics... maybe sans the rape part... but like in the comics?

It certainly seems to be heading that way, doesn't it?

Well, it would have been weird if Merlyn wouldn't return (although I wouldn't have said so soon).

Well, I'd understood he was to return for flashback scenes - memories of Oliver's while he's on the island, maybe? This was a total shock.

At first I thought the idea of Ra's allowing him (?) to use the Pit didn't convince me much, but I guess it makes sense, if Merlyn is some kind of "prodigal son" like Bruce was supposed to be in Batman Begins.

And yet, we're given the impression that he's a fairly low-ranking member . . . It'll be interesting to see it explained, either way.

(Technically, the Lazarus Pit could have existed in Nolanverse... it just wasn't mentioned :P)

True.

Oh I don't want to be spoiled. I want to enjoy the surprise.

I wouldn't mind a hint, personally - but since the network only advertises "Arrow" as part of a block with "The Tomorrow People," if I catch a commercial I'm lucky if they spend 10 seconds on it. :rolleyes:

Sherrinford
November 22nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
It certainly seems to be heading that way, doesn't it?

I mean, I dunno. Even if expectingOliver's and Shado's sonto appear, that would still be a major surprise.

Well, I'd understood he was to return for flashback scenes - memories of Oliver's while he's on the island, maybe? This was a total shock.

Merlyn on the island, you mean? Nah, I think that's improbable.

And yet, we're given the impression that he's a fairly low-ranking member . . . It'll be interesting to see it explained, either way.

Again, dunno. If the Glades Demolition Plan was secretly sponsored by Ra's just like in Batman Begins, I don't know how much of a low ranking member he could be. In BB Ra's personally trains his herald Bruce. But I realize this is really wild mass guessing. :p

Kieran
November 22nd, 2013, 08:31 PM
I mean, I dunno. Even if expectingOliver's and Shado's sonto appear, that would still be a major surprise.

Oh, no kidding - but at least the setup for it seems to getting into place.

Merlyn on the island, you mean? Nah, I think that's improbable.

No, I meant flashbacks to his former life while he was on the island. I mean, heck, he called Laurel - didn't talk to her, but he did call.

Again, dunno. If the Glades Demolition Plan was secretly sponsored by Ra's just like in Batman Begins, I don't know how much of a low ranking member he could be. In BB Ra's personally trains his herald Bruce. But I realize this is really wild mass guessing. :p

Yeah. I mean, we don't know that Ra's had anything to do with that particular plan, although he may have inspired it. I suppose we'll find out.

Sherrinford
November 22nd, 2013, 09:51 PM
Oh, no kidding - but at least the setup for it seems to getting into place.

Well, for now, we just know they have feeling for each other. For all we know, Shado is still alive after the five-years timeskip, they get back the relationship and then...

Yeah. I mean, we don't know that Ra's had anything to do with that particular plan, although he may have inspired it. I suppose we'll find out.

And hey, after all it's just a wild guess, just because Merlyn is a member of the LoA in the comics. "Nega-Arrow" may be unaffiliated with Ra's in this series :p.

Kieran
November 22nd, 2013, 11:19 PM
Well, for now, we just know they have feeling for each other. For all we know, Shado is still alive after the five-years timeskip, they get back the relationship and then...

That would be cool. :)

And hey, after all it's just a wild guess, just because Merlyn is a member of the LoA in the comics. "Nega-Arrow" may be unaffiliated with Ra's in this series :p.

True.

TheInfamousMan
November 22nd, 2013, 11:34 PM
Recently reread The Killing Joke, and I now remember why it's the greatest Joker and Batman story. You have to admit, both Batman and Joker are so similar that it's crazy. The only difference? Joker got the joke and laughed. Batman got the joke, but didn't think it was funny. He saw no need to crawl into a hole and lash out at the frightening and scary world like the Joker did. Perhaps the Joker did have a very bad day, but in the end, he himself was the one who went insane. It wasn't the day's fault. It was his and his alone.

Kieran
November 22nd, 2013, 11:46 PM
Recently reread The Killing Joke, and I now remember why it's the greatest Joker and Batman story. You have to admit, both Batman and Joker are so similar that it's crazy. The only difference? Joker got the joke and laughed. Batman got the joke, but didn't think it was funny. He saw no need to crawl into a hole and lash out at the frightening and scary world like the Joker did. Perhaps the Joker did have a very bad day, but in the end, he himself was the one who went insane. It wasn't the day's fault. It was his and his alone.

Ah, Alan Moore back in the days before he lost his mind - yeah, it is one of the better ones. :) And I find your analysis spot-on.

When it comes to Batman stories, I'm rather fond of "Year One" and "The Dark Knight Returns," as well (Frank Miller before he lost his mind - maybe it's something to do with comic book writers?). That said, however, the animated "Year One" was a disappointment, so I've avoided the animated "Dark Knight" in response. Is it actually any good, do you know?

TheInfamousMan
November 22nd, 2013, 11:49 PM
Ah, Alan Moore back in the days before he lost his mind - yeah, it is one of the better ones. :) And I find your analysis spot-on.

When it comes to Batman stories, I'm rather fond of "Year One" and "The Dark Knight Returns," as well (Frank Miller before he lost his mind - maybe it's something to do with comic book writers?). That said, however, the animated "Year One" was a disappointment, so I've avoided the animated "Dark Knight" in response. Is it actually any good, do you know?
Eh, it's okay. It's not as powerful without Bruce's internal monologue to confirm to us that yes, he is bat-shit insane. but it does keep the Joker's general creepiness and the innuendo that came with their final confrontation.

Here's to hoping that Mark Hamil's quest for the Killing Joke to be animated becomes a reality.

Also, glad you like my analysis. It's my personal belief that the Joker is perhaps the worst that humanity could ever become. People can become a monster like the Joker if they were to allow it. If they blamed the world and curled into a ball because of some misfortune. It's scary once you think about it, and it makes Batman even more special. He could have very easily become just like the Joker, but didn't.

Kieran
November 23rd, 2013, 03:14 PM
Eh, it's okay. It's not as powerful without Bruce's internal monologue to confirm to us that yes, he is bat-shit insane. but it does keep the Joker's general creepiness and the innuendo that came with their final confrontation.

No monologue?! But - but that's . . . That's the best part!

. . . Then again, they made Year One boring, even with the internal monologue, so there's no guarantee it'd be good, regardless, I suppose.

Here's to hoping that Mark Hamil's quest for the Killing Joke to be animated becomes a reality.

If he does the Joker again, I'm in.

Also, glad you like my analysis. It's my personal belief that the Joker is perhaps the worst that humanity could ever become. People can become a monster like the Joker if they were to allow it. If they blamed the world and curled into a ball because of some misfortune. It's scary once you think about it, and it makes Batman even more special. He could have very easily become just like the Joker, but didn't.

No - and the Joker is somebody who (whether he admits it or not) troubles somebody as egocentric as Luthor, so you know he's got to be bad.

. . . Though my favourite Joker line is still from Gods of Gotham (a Wonder Woman crossover):

"I was a god again, Bats! You were a god! We could've been gods together! . . . Like we're not already archetypal enough."

TheInfamousMan
November 26th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Stopped at Barnes & Nobles, had time to kill, read through All-Star Superman. Have to say, even if I personally don't like the character, Grant Morrison knows to not have Superman even remotely try to be grim, dark, and brooding. All-Star is a fond look back and farewell to the Superman of the Silver Age, keeping all the craziness of the era while handling it with love. Have to say, when Grant can keep his focus, he can truly let people experience the fun and tongue-to-cheek humor of the Silver Age in the Modern Age.

Kieran
November 26th, 2013, 07:22 PM
Stopped at Barnes & Nobles, had time to kill, read through All-Star Superman. Have to say, even if I personally don't like the character, Grant Morrison knows to not have Superman even remotely try to be grim, dark, and brooding. All-Star is a fond look back and farewell to the Superman of the Silver Age, keeping all the craziness of the era while handling it with love. Have to say, when Grant can keep his focus, he can truly let people experience the fun and tongue-to-cheek humor of the Silver Age in the Modern Age.

The problem, I find, is that he rarely does keep his focus. I've been known to lose track of what the hell's going on in mid-story, reading his stuff - to say nothing of losing interest. The man can come up with some interesting concepts, but as far as executing them goes . . .

(. . . And there's not a bit of the pot calling the kettle black in that statement, is there? :rolleyes:)

TheInfamousMan
November 26th, 2013, 07:36 PM
The problem, I find, is that he rarely does keep his focus. I've been known to lose track of what the hell's going on in mid-story, reading his stuff - to say nothing of losing interest. The man can come up with some interesting concepts, but as far as executing them goes . . .

(. . . And there's not a bit of the pot calling the kettle black in that statement, is there? :rolleyes:)
well he is known to take drugs, so that might have something to do with it.

But the plus-side of All star is that each issue is a one-shot with an over-arching plot of Superman's death. Allowing Grant to keep the Silver-Age wackiness, not explain a lot, and keep his focus more.

Yeah. I kind of went 'Grant Morrison' on my own stories, as I'm sure we have all...

Still loved his stuff on Animal Man & JLA

Sherrinford
December 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
Some vids to kill time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QT0yppCYU

For Kieran, in case he missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V3hBkRNBKo

Getting to know the woman behind Felicity Smoak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIWisBgh0jM

TheInfamousMan
December 2nd, 2013, 07:02 PM
Anyone read Neil Gaiman's Sandman? Have to say, the man knows mythology and can even make the most obscure of DC characters into relevant plot points. I mean, look at Doctor Destiny and Lynda Hall!

Sherrinford
December 2nd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Anyone read Neil Gaiman's Sandman?

Are you kidding? Of course I have! ;)

Although it was some time ago, and I'm not so knowledgeable of DC's obscure characters.

TheInfamousMan
December 2nd, 2013, 07:12 PM
Well lets just say that Neil Gaiman ranked up Doctor Destiny's madness and his capability of using the stone to eleven. He nearly drove the whole world mad, and completely forgot his original plan to hold it for ransom because watching the madness was too damn fun.

Lyta was Daniel's mother, and she kind of went nuts when Morpheus sent Hector to the afterlife and her child was taken from her.

Kieran
December 2nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Some vids to kill time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QT0yppCYU

All that for a commercial . . . *shakes head* Still, it was fun to watch.

For Kieran, in case he missed it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V3hBkRNBKo

I did miss it (thank you stupid network), so thanks - and the warning that it's a two-parter is deeply appreciated.

Getting to know the woman behind Felicity Smoak:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIWisBgh0jM

Quite long, but undoubtedly fun - I'll save this one for later.

Anyone read Neil Gaiman's Sandman? Have to say, the man knows mythology and can even make the most obscure of DC characters into relevant plot points. I mean, look at Doctor Destiny and Lynda Hall!

Her name is "Lyta," actually - as in "Hippolyta," Wonder Woman's mom.

That said - yeah, he does work well to subtly remind you that this is the DC universe, but without shoving it in your face. Though the appearance of Superman, Batman, and the Martian Manhunter is hysterical. :)

TheInfamousMan
December 2nd, 2013, 08:59 PM
Her name is "Lyta," actually - as in "Hippolyta," Wonder Woman's mom.

That said - yeah, he does work well to subtly remind you that this is the DC universe, but without shoving it in your face. Though the appearance of Superman, Batman, and the Martian Manhunter is hysterical. :)

Fixed.

Yeah, it's subtle and that's what I like about Neil Gaiman. Sandman is its own little thing that happens to take place in the DC Universe. Also, from my understanding Martian Manhunter likely never got involved with Morphius' quest for the stone because he is a god to the Martian, and thus J'onn probably thought that his god could handle things on his own.

Kieran
December 2nd, 2013, 09:20 PM
I meant in the last book. :)

TheInfamousMan
December 2nd, 2013, 10:13 PM
I meant in the last book. :)
Finished with Omnibus 1, and I only know about Daniel from Grant Morrison's JLA. Waiting for Omnibus 2 though from my Library.

I kinda felt bad for Hector when Brute and Glob spilled the beans. You can tell from his face that it broke him inside that his life and struggles, no matter how nonsensical or silly, were just a big joke to his supposed allies.

Kieran
December 2nd, 2013, 11:09 PM
Finished with Omnibus 1, and I only know about Daniel from Grant Morrison's JLA. Waiting for Omnibus 2 though from my Library.

Good thing I phrased my statement with minimal spoilers, then. :)

I kinda felt bad for Hector when Brute and Glob spilled the beans. You can tell from his face that it broke him inside that his life and struggles, no matter how nonsensical or silly, were just a big joke to his supposed allies.

I can't argue with that. And poor Lyta . . . Well, you'll see.

Sherrinford
December 3rd, 2013, 08:26 AM
WARNING! The following post contains spoilers (spoilers, spoilers! Terrible spoilers!) for Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox.

So, I watched Flashpoint Paradox, and I liked it. (Probably because) it's not just some "alternate reality", but it's a true ten-seconds-to-the-apocalypse world, and surprisingly dark...

... I mean, Wonder Woman has no problem in killing a child (bonus points because Billy is actually a favorite character of mine) and cold-blooded killing Steve, Superman reduced to a shade of himself, Flash horribly burned by the lightning (with the possibility of failing a second time and dying for good), Aquaman loses an arm brutally, Hal Jordan's (ineffectual) kamikaze attack... it was so good it sincerely made me feel sorry for characters I normally wouldn't consider too much (for example, GL).

And Zoom. Oh, Professor Zoom. Take every incarnation ever of the Joker and put them together and they still have nothing to Professor Zoom in this movie. A psychopath supervillain that has no problem in turning the world into basically the worst possible timeline and actually being happy to die in it if it means total annihilation, just for evulz. He's so horribly evil and twisted in this (bonus points because, well, let's say it, Flash's Rogues are quite clown-esque, while Zoom...!)

Personally I think that, if a JLA movie should be made, this could be of inspiration (at least, after a first movie established, it could be a sequel JLA 2 or 3).

PhoenixAct
December 4th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Don't know if this is the right thread for this but Wonder Woman is to appear in the Worlds Finestmovie and has been cast:

Link. (http://www.tor.com/blogs/2013/12/wonder-woman-cast-for-batman-vs-superman#more)

Sherrinford
December 4th, 2013, 07:26 PM
It is.

So, not only we have Batman in the next Superman movie, but now Wonder Woman too? Mmh, ok.

I feel a little sorry to say this, but at least from the photo posted, she says nothing to me... especially as Wonder Woman. But we'll see.

(personal note: it seems the direction we're headed towards is indeed a JLA movie...)

Kieran
December 4th, 2013, 07:38 PM
That apparently is the plan - hence the need for Christopher Nolan's approval for all the DC characters appearing in Arrow this year.

As to the actress: I've never seen or heard of her before, so I'm not initially impressed - but as with Affleck, we'll see.

Kieran
December 4th, 2013, 10:05 PM
. . . And normally, I wouldn't double-post like this - but while I hate cliff-hangers, that was a cool ending for tonight's episode of Arrow. Can't wait for next week - and thank God it is next week, and not in the freaking New Year.

Sherrinford
December 5th, 2013, 01:51 PM
This episode was a lot of fun.

You know, Ollie, Isabel is kinda right... that wasn't really a good idea, and in fact...

Dat Barry. Mmh, smart kid. Right from the start I thought he and Felicity were similar, and in fact... and how adorable they are together. So he's the Barry before the incident, that was a good choice. Now we'll have to see if his origins happen in the show (unlikely, since a pilot for the Flash series has been given green light), if it's related to mirakuru, or to the so much foreshadowed STARlabs experiment... looks like they wanted to test more of his character-personality than his look as Flash (and with success, personally).

For a moment, I thought Felicity would play the part of the vigilante... with the right outfit she kinda resemble Artemis.:p

Shado got a look into Oliver's hidden skeletons, ouch.

I know it was a serious moment, but I couldn't help but giggle when Slade went straight for Shado when in need of a "crutch", and with a big smile on his face...
:p

I dunno, but in the beginning Amell looked a bit... "far away" as far as acting goes. Like he was thinking of something else, but only in the beginning. He however looked genuinely shocked when Slade "died", I didn't realize he was that attached (well, it's not like it's without reason).

Ouch, Roy. That was a bit brutal, Oliver.

I'm a bit puzzled though at the fact that Moira was able to trace back to Ra's so easily, and gain such informations... (also, Merlyn officially was on his own during the "undertaking", and Ra's isn't happy about that).

- - - Updated - - -

that was a cool ending for tonight's episode of Arrow. Can't wait for next week - and thank God it is next week, and not in the freaking New Year.

Ooh, this. Although I'm not too much worried about Oliver... the only problem would be to identify what he was injected with (which could be not so easy, now that I think about it), and I doubt it was too much poisonous (since it came in syringes it was intended to be injected, I guess?). Luckily there's no skipping next week.

Kieran
December 5th, 2013, 05:45 PM
This episode was a lot of fun.

Yup. :)

You know, Ollie, Isabel is kinda right... that wasn't really a good idea, and in fact...

That was a bit of a shock to see - I'd figured that at least the thrill-seekers would come out to see for themselves.

Dat Barry. Mmh, smart kid. Right from the start I thought he and Felicity were similar, and in fact... and how adorable they are together. So he's the Barry before the incident, that was a good choice. Now we'll have to see if his origins happen in the show (unlikely, since a pilot for the Flash series has been given green light), if it's related to mirakuru, or to the so much foreshadowed STARlabs experiment...

I always figured it'd be STAR Labs, but that's a bias from the last Flash series, where STAR Labs was where his compatriot worked. Personally, I figured he'd show up when they turned on the particle accelerator . . . Though I loved the nod to his comic book origin. I was waiting for the lightning bolt when he was in position. :)

looks like they wanted to test more of his character-personality than his look as Flash (and with success, personally).

I'd say you're right, on both counts.

For a moment, I thought Felicity would play the part of the vigilante... with the right outfit she kinda resemble Artemis.:p

Except that technically, Artemis is one of Wonder Woman's sidekicks. A certain cartoon aside, the name of the female Green Arrow character is Arrowette. (Yeah, it is - believe it or not.) Nevertheless, I see what you mean - I was surprised they decided to play it as straight as they did. Then again, under the circumstances, I can't see how they'd have developed a truly effective cover, either.

Shado got a look into Oliver's hidden skeletons, ouch.

Yeah - that's going to cause problems, all right.

I know it was a serious moment, but I couldn't help but giggle when Slade went straight for Shado when in need of a "crutch", and with a big smile on his face...

I missed that - I'll have to watch the replay (we recorded it so my mom could watch it later, and commercial-free).

I dunno, but in the beginning Amell looked a bit... "far away" as far as acting goes. Like he was thinking of something else, but only in the beginning. He however looked genuinely shocked when Slade "died", I didn't realize he was that attached (well, it's not like it's without reason).

No, it's not. Slade means a lot to Oliver - I've never doubted that, which is impressive, when you consider how often they've fought.

Ouch, Roy. That was a bit brutal, Oliver.

True - but effective.

I'm a bit puzzled though at the fact that Moira was able to trace back to Ra's so easily, and gain such informations...

Well, she's been his closest confidante for years - if anyone could, it'd be her. Also, there's no way of telling exactly what Ra's Al Ghul's position is, in this world - the comic version does have business ventures beyond the League, so it's possible Moira knows some of them.

(also, Merlyn officially was on his own during the "undertaking", and Ra's isn't happy about that).

That was a surprise, given the League's modus operandi in the movies, or even some of Ra's moves in the comics - it makes me wonder exactly what we're dealing with, here . . .

Ooh, this. Although I'm not too much worried about Oliver... the only problem would be to identify what he was injected with (which could be not so easy, now that I think about it), and I doubt it was too much poisonous (since it came in syringes it was intended to be injected, I guess?). Luckily there's no skipping next week.

Granted, but overdoses can be tricky - and anything is toxic in a high enough quantity. You could kill someone with Vitamin C, if you tried hard enough. And thank heavens we don't need to wait, because I really want to see how this plays out.

Sherrinford
December 5th, 2013, 06:46 PM
That was a bit of a shock to see - I'd figured that at least the thrill-seekers would come out to see for themselves.

Shocking yes, but not (too much) surprising.

IThough I loved the nod to his comic book origin. I was waiting for the lightning bolt when he was in position. :)

Yeah. I thought that during a following time in which he was in the lab, he resumed rearranging the chemical equipment and then the lightning strikes.

Except that technically, Artemis is one of Wonder Woman's sidekicks. A certain cartoon aside, the name of the female Green Arrow character is Arrowette. (Yeah, it is - believe it or not.)

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But what can I say, I'm a fan of Young Justice~

Nevertheless, I see what you mean - I was surprised they decided to play it as straight as they did. Then again, under the circumstances, I can't see how they'd have developed a truly effective cover, either.

It felt a bit weird that they didn't take precautions, not even a mask, especially after Felicity was all "no Diggle, we absolutely can't compromise his secret identity!".

I missed that - I'll have to watch the replay (we recorded it so my mom could watch it later, and commercial-free).

It's around seven minutes in (although after rewatching it it was mixed with a smile from pain. But in the end, it gave me the impression he was thinking "yeah... come here, Shado, I need help..."; too bad in the next scene he's back to holding onto Oliver :rolleyes:)

Well, she's been his closest confidante for years - if anyone could, it'd be her. Also, there's no way of telling exactly what Ra's Al Ghul's position is, in this world - the comic version does have business ventures beyond the League, so it's possible Moira knows some of them.

It look more like she used Nanda Parbat as a hint and from there traced back to Ra's, it didn't look like she recalled the memory from a confidence of Merlyn's. Plus I doubt Merlyn is willing to talk about this kind of things, even to someone like Moira.
My point was that not only Moira knows about Ra's (which okay, it can be explained), but that he is also the master of a sect of assassins, and that such a sect has a strict code of values.

By the way, more than the cliffhanger of Oliver being half-dead, I'm curious about how will they escape from Ivo now. They have no way of escaping, and Ivo really has no reason to keep them alive anymore. The only thing I can think of is Slade suddenly coming back to life and murdering everyone int he blink of an eye, and even that seems difficult (everyone is at point-blank range of the rifles).

Kieran
December 5th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Shocking yes, but not (too much) surprising.

True.

Yeah. I thought that during a following time in which he was in the lab, he resumed rearranging the chemical equipment and then the lightning strikes.

Yeah - pity. Then again, I suppose we do have another episode, don't we . . .? :D

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. But what can I say, I'm a fan of Young Justice~

I didn't see enough of the cartoon to decide one way or the other, but I did like the Young Justice comic (Peter David is god of humour) of the late 1990s.

It felt a bit weird that they didn't take precautions, not even a mask, especially after Felicity was all "no Diggle, we absolutely can't compromise his secret identity!"

Maybe Felicity has a plan . . .?

It's around seven minutes in (although after rewatching it it was mixed with a smile from pain. But in the end, it gave me the impression he was thinking "yeah... come here, Shado, I need help..."; too bad in the next scene he's back to holding onto Oliver :rolleyes:)

*chuckles*

It look more like she used Nanda Parbat as a hint and from there traced back to Ra's, it didn't look like she recalled the memory from a confidence of Merlyn's. Plus I doubt Merlyn is willing to talk about this kind of things, even to someone like Moira.
My point was that not only Moira knows about Ra's (which okay, it can be explained), but that he is also the master of a sect of assassins, and that such a sect has a strict code of values.

Well, given Officer Lance's reaction, it seems that the League is known, to a point - if only as an urban legend. Given Moira's apparent connections, it's not impossible to think that she'd be unable to trace it. Maybe it was something she started before she went to prison, as a countermeasure against Merlyn.

By the way, more than the cliffhanger of Oliver being half-dead, I'm curious about how will they escape from Ivo now. They have no way of escaping, and Ivo really has no reason to keep them alive anymore. The only thing I can think of is Slade suddenly coming back to life and murdering everyone int he blink of an eye, and even that seems difficult (everyone is at point-blank range of the rifles).

Yeah - it'll be interesting to see, that's for sure.

Sherrinford
December 6th, 2013, 08:25 AM
Yeah - pity. Then again, I suppose we do have another episode, don't we . . .? :D

Mh, it's unlikely Barry will become the Flash in these episodes. IIRC, the production of a pilot episode for his series has been greenlit, so if anything that's where his origins will happen.

I didn't see enough of the cartoon to decide one way or the other, but I did like the Young Justice comic (Peter David is god of humour) of the late 1990s.

Oh, I have no problems affirming the Young Justice cartoon is one of the best DC-related things I've ever watched/read. It's really good in my opinion.

Maybe Felicity has a plan . . .?

The problem is, Barry has already seen Oliver in his Arrow outfit. He already knows Felicity is related to the vigilante, and has guessed his backstory just from peripheral clues. How much would it take him to do 2+2 and realize Oliver is the Arrow? Unless Felicity has a master plan to mindfuck him into disregarding all evidence so far, her plan can only be "keep the secret, ok?". (Not that there's anything wrong with this). But we'll see.

Maybe it was something she started before she went to prison, as a countermeasure against Merlyn.

Mh, it could be.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what is Ra's current status in the series. Because he's dead in the "main live-action universe".

Kieran
December 6th, 2013, 08:32 AM
Mh, it's unlikely Barry will become the Flash in these episodes. IIRC, the production of a pilot episode for his series has been greenlit, so if anything that's where his origins will happen.

Don't spoil my dreams. :P

Oh, I have no problems affirming the Young Justice cartoon is one of the best DC-related things I've ever watched/read. It's really good in my opinion.

I need to go back and watch it. I have seen about four episodes, I just have to start over . . . After I finish Fate/Zero Season 1.

The problem is, Barry has already seen Oliver in his Arrow outfit. He already knows Felicity is related to the vigilante, and has guessed his backstory just from peripheral clues. How much would it take him to do 2+2 and realize Oliver is the Arrow? Unless Felicity has a master plan to mindfuck him into disregarding all evidence so far, her plan can only be "keep the secret, ok?". (Not that there's anything wrong with this). But we'll see.

Given how awkward Barry seems to be, I'd say Felicity could easily seduce him into silence, if she tried. :D

Mh, it could be.

Now that I think about it, I wonder what is Ra's current status in the series. Because he's dead in the "main live-action universe".

Yeah - which is why I've taken everything with a grain of salt, so far. I don't think we're dealing with the same continuity as the Dark Knight trilogy, here - but it's certainly close, so far as Elseworlds go. Heck, just the inclusion of Nandu Parbat in that role is different . . . *shrugs* We'll see.

Elf
December 6th, 2013, 10:26 AM
I'm really not impressed with the chick they got to play Wonder Woman. I think they should have chosen Antjie Traue. (Who was the bad assed Kryptonian Chick from "Man of Steel".)

Sherrinford
December 6th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Don't spoil my dreams. :P

I'm not. If everything goes fine, it's likely we'll have a whole series about Flash.

I need to go back and watch it. I have seen about four episodes, I just have to start over . . . After I finish Fate/Zero Season 1.

I definitely recommend you do it.

Given how awkward Barry seems to be, I'd say Felicity could easily seduce him into silence, if she tried. :D

Yeah, that seems the only strategy that could work. :p

Heck, just the inclusion of Nandu Parbat in that role is different . . . *shrugs* We'll see.

That's something that confused me. Now, I'm certainly not an expert of DC lore, but I didn't know of a connection between that place and Ra's at all.

I'm really not impressed with the chick they got to play Wonder Woman. I think they should have chosen Antjie Traue. (Who was the bad assed Kryptonian Chick from "Man of Steel".)

I think I heard that the actress that played Lady Sif was also interested in the role.

Meanwhile:

http://i.imgur.com/3BFLAhn.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wo5RLwh.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/ZvvbNG9.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/v9zaugX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/b6biOII.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/FqdMV92.jpg

A cat with a Power Ring? We're doomed.
:p