PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Object [Light Novel]

Gundam Meister
November 14th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Author : Kazuma Kamachi
Artist: Nagiryo

http://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=HEAVY_OBJECT

Summary: In the end, war couldn't be extinguished. But, there was a transformation. Even in the heart of a worthless accomplice in murder who was indifferently continuing his task, there was a transformation. The massive weapon "Object". This was a weapon that changed the whole definition of war. An exchange student named Kwenser, who was dispatched to the battlefield, met at the base a girl with a strange aura. The girl, dubbed "Elite", is the pilot of "Object". The near future. This diminutive boy had come to take on the role of standing up against the strongest weapon "Object" for the sake of the girl. This was the motive for their first meeting.

From what been translated so far I'm liking this light novel series

Sherrinford
November 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
From what I read of the plot, not interested in the slightest.

Me: "... what?"

nununu
November 14th, 2011, 12:26 PM
The manga (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/heavy_object/) was short-lived. Unfortunately.

Gundam Meister
November 14th, 2011, 12:31 PM
The manga (http://www.mangafox.com/manga/heavy_object/) was short-lived. Unfortunately.

Yeah that was unfortunate i really like the art in it and the manga was how i discovered this series

Phearo
August 3rd, 2014, 03:56 AM
I ignored this for a while after reading the synopsis, but one day I just read through this anyway and had a pleasant time. In kind of a weird way, it's like a mecha anime(well the enemy's kinda mecha-ish), except the protagonist aren't in mechas, and they're trying to bring them down with ingenuity. Not in the No Game No Life way that's "You thought I would lose but I'm actually DIO prepared for this very moment!" but more like actual resourcefulness and the like.

Rue
August 3rd, 2014, 04:26 AM
Really like this series, very hard science stuff (must be where Kazuma Kamachi dumps more of his science side ideas when Index isn't enough). And yeah, one of those "synopsis doesn't do it justice" thing.

Also like the MCs, they can't help but b****h about being forced into situations yet again were they have to be heroes or die. Their resourcefulness and smarts did lead them to be called modern day "Dragon Slayers".

Hm, I think it was also the manga that lead me to it as well.

Break
August 3rd, 2014, 06:13 AM
Yeah i like this LN a lot as well. Wish theyd make an anime out of it, its pretty well-suited for an adaption style-wise.

In-N-Out Double-Double & Animal Fries
August 3rd, 2014, 01:32 PM
From what I read of the plot, not interested in the slightest.

Me: "... what?"

Summary definitely does not do it justice (cuz it's literal. It really only summarizes the very first part of the first book, and not even very well). It's like shadow of the colossus except there are two main characters that banter off one another and they take down bigass mechs instead of colossi. Sometimes they climb them, usually they find some other way of taking them down.

Did I also mention that it's a Kazuma Kamachi series? (Index/Railgun, Waltruge, Zashiki Warashi)

Anyways, I still haven't started volume 8...

012yArthur0
August 3rd, 2014, 01:46 PM
Summary definitely does not do it justice (cuz it's literal. It really only summarizes the very first part of the first book, and not even very well). It's like shadow of the colossus except there are two main characters that banter off one another and they take down bigass mechs instead of colossi. Sometimes they climb them, usually they find some other way of taking them down.

Did I also mention that it's a Kazuma Kamachi series? (Index/Railgun, Waltruge, Zashiki Warashi)

Anyways, I still haven't started volume 8...

By this explanation, this is when Attack of the Titans meet Shadow of the Colossus while they're made of metal and militar shit?

Kuradora
August 3rd, 2014, 03:52 PM
Waltruge

Waltraute

FlameStrike
August 4th, 2014, 01:49 AM
I read a a couple volumes of the translated stuff. I wasn't bad. I do like the idea of the main characters taking down omfg invincible Objects with their brains. The only problem was none of the characters interested me at all. The Princess and the rest of the pilots don't even get names, and character development was nonexistent. In the end I got bored x.x; for me having characters I can really connect with or root for is really important.

012yArthur0
August 4th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I read a a couple volumes of the translated stuff. I wasn't bad. I do like the idea of the main characters taking down omfg invincible Objects with their brains. The only problem was none of the characters interested me at all. The Princess and the rest of the pilots don't even get names, and character development was nonexistent. In the end I got bored x.x; for me having characters I can really connect with or root for is really important.

I actually like Kweser. He remembers me Ed from FMA for some reason (mostly the appearance).

The visual is simple in the character visual but I love the way they are drawn, the explosions is pretty detailed.

My only problem so far is the obivious romance between him and the princess, it's hard to get her weird shit sometimes, but its mostly of the fact that the show zigzags between taking itself seriously or not.

Btw, I only saw the mangafox volumes of the manga.

August 4th, 2014, 06:37 PM
I actually like Kweser. He remembers me Ed from FMA for some reason (mostly the appearance).

The visual is simple in the character visual but I love the way they are drawn, the explosions is pretty detailed.

My only problem so far is the obivious romance between him and the princess, it's hard to get her weird shit sometimes, but its mostly of the fact that the show zigzags between taking itself seriously or not.

Btw, I only saw the mangafox volumes of the manga.

As the novels go on, Quenser gets crazier and crazier and Heivia becomes more and more special forces

all them knife headshots

FlameStrike
August 4th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I liked the manga though. The art was nice. Too bad it ended so quickly.

October 6th, 2014, 01:40 AM
Anime announced (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-10-05/heavy-object-light-novels-by-a-certain-magical-index-kamachi-gets-tv-anime/.79574)

get hype

Quenser is voiced by teh guy who did Inaho (Aldnoah.Zero)

ratstsrub
October 6th, 2014, 01:44 AM
First two volumes:

Ok cool.

More volumes:

God it's all just the same shit.

FlameStrike
October 6th, 2014, 02:20 AM
Pretty much this. I lost interest because of how repetitive it got. Q and his buddy are pretty much the only real characters. Princess and CO don't even get names. Unless it's part of the setting (Like Mao Yuusha etc) I reallllllly hate it when the pov character never bothers to learn the name of another supposed main character.

Rafflesiac
June 29th, 2015, 03:07 PM
RISE, I SAY!

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

RISE, FOR QWENSER IS IN THE NEW DENGEKI BUNKO FIGHTING CLIMAX!

RISE, FOR THE ANIME WAS CONFIRMED FOR OCTOBER!

RISE, FOR MORE OF VOLUME 9 WAS TRANSLATED!

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder when Putana will realize Qwenser's the one who fucked her over?

Also it's pretty annoying that her scopophobia doesn't actually matter. I'd call it minor, but considering she can sense satellites that's impossible.

Rafflesiac
July 26th, 2015, 11:40 PM
Evidently jet fuel can melt steel beams.

Well, giant robot suits at least.

ILurkNoMoar
September 21st, 2015, 03:54 PM
I can't believe this is happening, I'm so hyped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj6ml4vAlAY

Rafflesiac
October 2nd, 2015, 03:31 PM
First episode was pretty low-key.

We got an explanation of the world, some name butchering (Havia? The Legitimate Kingdom? And I don't even remember what they did for Qwenser.), and the low-key war is peaceful antics before everything goes to shit.

I was expecting the battle between the Baby Magnum and the Water Strider to be more dynamic, but overall I'm fairly satisfied. Maybe I'm just forgetting if it was supershort or not in the LN.

Fel
October 2nd, 2015, 04:05 PM
I was expecting the battle between the Baby Magnum and the Water Strider to be more dynamic, but overall I'm fairly satisfied. Maybe I'm just forgetting if it was supershort or not in the LN.
The fight was really fucking short in the LN.

Rafflesiac
October 2nd, 2015, 04:06 PM
The fight was really fucking short in the LN.
Okay then, I suspected as such.

I must've conflated it with the other Object fights.

Break
October 2nd, 2015, 04:21 PM
Yeah, it didnt really happen much between the objects in the LN.

I remember thinking "man this is so well-suited to beeing animated" all the time while reading the first volume; at least its way better suited to it than Index.

Rue
October 3rd, 2015, 09:46 AM
They'd probably show a bit more of the battle like how it got there next episode.

October 4th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Opening hyyyyyyype

Looks like we're seeing the Tricore.

Also, Sladder Honeysuckle. The South America arcs were probably some of my favorite.

Rafflesiac
October 4th, 2015, 07:31 PM
I couldn't remember his name for the life of me, but capping the season with him is a good idea. Those arc were hype.

Rue
October 10th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Saw 2nd episode, So far so good.

Then I notice that for a talky show, none of them are emitting any vapor/steam breath despite being in the cold for so long. I know the Elite's uniform is special but I guess the troops futuristic uniform is too.

So how many cour's is this again? Seems the 1st volume would at least be 3-4 episodes, they're taking their time which is good.

Break
October 10th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I dunno, the OP suggests that they'll get at least to Australia/Oceania in this cour

its certaily better than when J.C. try to squash entire volumes in two episodes, like they did with some arcs in the second season of Index

October 10th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Saw 2nd episode, So far so good.

Then I notice that for a talky show, none of them are emitting any vapor/steam breath despite being in the cold for so long. I know the Elite's uniform is special but I guess the troops futuristic uniform is too.

So how many cour's is this again? Seems the 1st volume would at least be 3-4 episodes, they're taking their time which is good.

It's probably just a lazy animation thing. Visible breath is from your breath being condensed by the cold, not from your body itself being cold.

It's supposed to be 24 episodes.

Anyways, episode thoughts. They skipped out on the water strider managing to ambush the Baby Magnum because it can stick to vertical or more than vertical surfaces like a spider.

They also skipped Havia reprimanding Quenther for only carrying half the standard C4 issue because Quenther is a lazy ass and didn't want to carry around the extra weight.

Break
October 10th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Quenser will probably bring that up in an anime-y explain-the-enemy-and-how-you-beat-him monologue i'd guess, its a pretty major detail; the "Quenser is a lazy fuck who dont want to carry this much explosives" part isnt that important i'd say.

Though i wonder when the Metal Gear crossovers will roll in en masse; especially considering in the first Metal gear for the NES, Snake does use C4 to blow up the Metal Gear prototype as well.

Rafflesiac
October 10th, 2015, 11:57 AM
After AntiMagic Academy, seeing a slower-paced episode from a first volume is a godsend.

Rafflesiac
October 16th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Now that was a great episode. When Qwenthur and Havia were all excited for their super-promotions I couldn't keep the shit-eating grin off my face.

LJ3
October 16th, 2015, 07:55 PM
This is so Kamachi it hurts.

Rafflesiac
October 23rd, 2015, 04:31 PM
It's way different seeing the fanservice than reading it. Milinda shooting up Qwenthur and Havia by accident was hilarious, though.

Fel
October 23rd, 2015, 04:38 PM
It's way different because they're adding fanservice scenes that weren't originally there in the LNs.

Rafflesiac
October 23rd, 2015, 04:46 PM
Huh.

Man, it's been a while since I read the early LNs.

Rue
October 23rd, 2015, 08:38 PM
It's way different because they're adding fanservice scenes that weren't originally there in the LNs.
It can be a talky show, gotta' keep the audience attention through exposition at times.

October 24th, 2015, 12:18 AM
This show is getting a lot of hate online (almost entirely because of the premise) and that saddens me

Kirby
October 24th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Huh? What about its premise? (I have neither watched nor read this)

October 24th, 2015, 12:37 AM
The premise is that there's a new kind of weapon called an Object that can take a direct hit from a nuke and keep fighting, has basically supplanted all forms of warfare, and now serves as a 'proxy' for traditional battle, thus ending the era of soldiers actually dying in combat. And now the two protagonists are the first to be able to take down an enemy object without an object of their own.

Alternative Ice
October 24th, 2015, 12:45 AM
The premise is that there's a new kind of weapon called an Object that can take a direct hit from a nuke and keep fighting, has basically supplanted all forms of warfare, and now serves as a 'proxy' for traditional battle, thus ending the era of soldiers actually dying in combat. And now the two protagonists are the first to be able to take down an enemy object without an object of their own.

Wow those guys are right giant robots rendering conventional fighting obsolete is just such a foreign concept for mecha series. :rolleyes:

October 24th, 2015, 01:05 AM
Yea, a superweapon that can take a direct hit from a nuclear-level explosion and keep fighting thanks to its special barrier/armor and rendered conventional weapons obsolete and worthless thereby making it vulnerable only to superweapons similar to itself is completely ridiculous.

I've never heard of such a ridiculous premise before (http://myanimelist.net/anime/30/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion)

Alternative Ice
October 24th, 2015, 02:56 AM
And even if their complaint is more about why H & Q are the first to have done this . . . I mean I wondered about that as well but when I thought about it, it wasn't that difficult to imagine a plausible series events that could explain the current state of things.

Now I haven't read the LN's, I'm just going by what exposition has been in the anime thus far, so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

If a nuclear armed country is attacking A Certain Island Nation with nukes then It's certainly possible that a world war was happening (especially considering how the worlds nations apparently collapsed and coalesced into four superpowers).
The clean war concept didn't exist at that time so maintenance facilities were likely more heavily guarded with ACIN probably being even more protective of their superweapon's secrets than military's are of them in the series present, since they had the only objects at that time and wanted to keep it that way.
Unfortunately for them in the chaos of war information on some of the basic systems like the reactor and the onion armor leaked out and countries started building their own nuclear resistant war machines.

I theorize that the clean war concept is more about politics then practicality.
After the dust settled the public was understandably sick of war and their friends and loved ones dying, so the governments of the new power blocks started selling people on objects fighting wars.
All of this created a sense of complacency in rank and files soldiers who got just as lax at defending as they did at attacking, until eventually our protagonists have a thought (that was in no way motivated by Qwenthur's suicidal desire to bang the cute blond girl he works with) outside the box everyone had been in.

Fel
October 24th, 2015, 08:02 AM
I theorize that the clean war concept is more about politics then practicality.
Nice analysis. And yeah, it's pretty much this. It isn't an actual war as much as it is attempting to destroy the other nations financially by fucking up as many of their objects as possible, thus forcing them to waste money on pumping out more objects to replace the destroyed ones. First nation that goes bankrupt loses.

Now There are still some battlefields where normal soldiers and modern weaponry are used and a lot of people die. But those are kept a secret from the public and even the majority of the military isn't aware of their existence.

October 24th, 2015, 09:47 AM
There's the northern/arctic/Nordic front or whatever it's called which has no objects and is just pure traditional war and I'm pretty sure that's public knowledge.

Fel
October 24th, 2015, 11:09 AM
There's the northern/arctic/Nordic front or whatever it's called which has no objects and is just pure traditional war and I'm pretty sure that's public knowledge.
Wait it is? Well at least the battalion Quenser and Heivia were sent to for the second chapter of volume 6 wasn't public knowledge.

October 24th, 2015, 01:25 PM
I don' think that's the same area

The one I'm talking about is the northern europe front, where jetloli is from

Fel
October 24th, 2015, 01:57 PM
I don' think that's the same area

The one I'm talking about is the northern europe front, where jetloli is from
I know it's not the same area. I meant that even if some of them are public knowledge not all of them are. Heck, the majority of them probably aren't.

Toranth
October 25th, 2015, 01:17 PM
The premise IS absurd. Politically, and scientifically.
Science-wise, almost everything they describe is just not possible. Unless you toss in magic, of course - Evangelion and Gundam use the "It's magic! unknown science!" excuse all over the place. But without magic, which Heavy Object is pretty heavily avoiding, you're left with impossibilities. Even with magic, the story has to at least point out when magic is being used to make the impossible possible.
This latest episode - a ship 180m long, and even wider than that? Travelling at 320 km/h? With a draft of (estimated) ~10m? That weighs by their own estimate 600,000 tons? That is also an oil rig, plus supertanker? Impossible, in so many ways.

Politically/socially is also absurd for complete illogic. Again, in the latest episode, some group built a triple-Object without anyone noticing. That means that building an Object is so easy and simple that even private organizations can do it without leaving any public signs. In which case, war wouldn't have changed much - Objects would replace Tanks, but they'd still be fielded by the hundreds by any major nations. This 1-on-1 BS would never, ever happen.

For all that the show is fun, and watching our poor schmucks try to deal with something way out of their league IS fun, it hurts my brain every single episode.

Fel
October 25th, 2015, 01:27 PM
Again, in the latest episode, some group built a triple-Object without anyone noticing.
But people did notice. Quenser searching for data on the Object from the Legtitimacy Kingdom database shows that they had pre-existing intel on it.

That means that building an Object is so easy and simple that even private organizations can do it without leaving any public signs.
Yes please tell me more about how a nation that is around 1/4th of the entire world and can easily put Russia to shame when it comes to size is a "private organization".

Toranth
October 25th, 2015, 07:35 PM
But people did notice. Quenser searching for data on the Object from the Legtitimacy Kingdom database shows that they had pre-existing intel on it.
If they don't know who built it, then they DIDN'T NOTICE it being built, now did they? And believe me, there is no way in hell to hide something that big, that requires that much material, when it is being built.
Also, in the anime, at least, the only info he has is the few shots of it in action he gets in the briefing. Maybe the novels have more, but viewers aren't seeing that.

Yes please tell me more about how a nation that is around 1/4th of the entire world and can easily put Russia to shame when it comes to size is a "private organization".
Again - At this time, the anime has said the characters DO NOT KNOW who built it. If building an Object is something that can be done secretly, considering how massive it is, it must be capable of being hidden. And the only way to hide something as obvious as a million ton ship of magical heavy armor and super weapons is if those things are so common that the (extremely high-budget, now that they are so few) international intelligence agencies can't pick this one out of the crowd.
Of course, you seem to be implying that this triple-Object was built by one of the nation-states. In which case, the other nations damned well should know about it. Unless in this future, everyone in the world forgot about espionage and satellites, the same way they all forgot about sabotage.

But, since you mention it - this is a "near future" world, and yet somehow the entire socio-political framework of the current world has collapsed, and reorganized into entirely new - and VERY large - nations? Stable nations, at that? Nations that are made up of historical enemies, in many cases?

LJ3
October 25th, 2015, 07:58 PM
You really should not defend the science, warfare, and politics of Heavy Object as sophisticated or realistic. Because Kamachi pulls stuff out of his ass and twists what he wants. This bears repeating.

And it's fine. The problem is when you try to justify the shenanigans as being based in reality and not outlandish.

gwonbush
October 25th, 2015, 08:14 PM
I think the thing is that Kamachi writes slightly harder Sci-fi than it appears at first glance (very soft sci-fi), which makes some people think it is actually somewhat hard, instead of still very much on the soft side of the scale.

mewarmo990
October 25th, 2015, 08:33 PM
how heavy is this object, exactly

eddyak
October 25th, 2015, 08:38 PM
how heavy is this object, exactly
At least as heavy as a brown bear.

I realise that's a little racist of me, but you guys have to agree, brown bears to tend to... occupy a certain... range... on the scale of weight. Relatively speaking.

Fel
October 26th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Also, in the anime, at least, the only info he has is the few shots of it in action he gets in the briefing. Maybe the novels have more, but viewers aren't seeing that.
Yes in that case would you mind telling me what that tablet was on which Quenser was searching for information on the Object, whilst on the Object itself. Because I know for a fact that was shown in the anime. He even said that the reception is bad. Look, Quenser searching up pre-existing info on it was most definitely shown in the anime. Just because you didn't put 1 and 1 together doesn't mean it wasn't shown.

If they don't know who built it, then they DIDN'T NOTICE it being built, now did they? And believe me, there is no way in hell to hide something that big, that requires that much material, when it is being built.
It actually isn't that hard to hide the creation of a single Object when every one of the major world powers is building tens of them simultaneously. You know the saying "the best place to hide a tree is in a forest"? Yeah, that's kind of what the major nations can do with their funding and manpower.

Again - At this time, the anime has said the characters DO NOT KNOW who built it. If building an Object is something that can be done secretly, considering how massive it is, it must be capable of being hidden. And the only way to hide something as obvious as a million ton ship of magical heavy armor and super weapons is if those things are so common that the (extremely high-budget, now that they are so few) international intelligence agencies can't pick this one out of the crowd.
Something which is 50 meters large isn't that massive and hard to hide. There are plenty of storehouses and hangars nowadays in which an Object could be built and stored. And materials can be moved easily without anybody noticing considering how every major nation is self-sufficient and building multiple Object simultaneously.

Of course, you seem to be implying that this triple-Object was built by one of the nation-states. In which case, the other nations damned well should know about it. Unless in this future, everyone in the world forgot about espionage and satellites, the same way they all forgot about sabotage.
1. It was shown who built the Object in the eyecatch. I'm not implying anything that wasn't stated. I'll be honest here, as a matter of fact, before this episode I myself didn't know which one of the nations built it.
2. Not everyone forgot about sabotage, nor has everyone forgotten about satellites.

But, since you mention it - this is a "near future" world, and yet somehow the entire socio-political framework of the current world has collapsed, and reorganized into entirely new - and VERY large - nations? Stable nations, at that? Nations that are made up of historical enemies, in many cases?
I mean, define "near future". Because the timespan between the modern day and the HO world is like, around the same as the time between the modern world and WW2. Slightly more than the timespan between WW2 and the modern day. And the nations aren't that stable. Few things stable in the HO-verse, and the nations most definitely are not on that list.

Toranth
October 26th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Yes in that case would you mind telling me what that tablet was on which Quenser was searching for information on the Object, whilst on the Object itself. Because I know for a fact that was shown in the anime. He even said that the reception is bad. Look, Quenser searching up pre-existing info on it was most definitely shown in the anime. Just because you didn't put 1 and 1 together doesn't mean it wasn't shown.
The tablet was showing the quick briefing info that had been gathered AFTER the Tri-Core started operations. The commander freely admits they knew nothing about it until then. It shows literally nothing but a loading screen later.

It actually isn't that hard to hide the creation of a single Object when every one of the major world powers is building tens of them simultaneously. You know the saying "the best place to hide a tree is in a forest"? Yeah, that's kind of what the major nations can do with their funding and manpower.
"Tens" is not nearly enough to hide something that big. Let me put it this way - the material involved alone would be traceable by even small nation states today. They would have a significant effect on the market. The manpower, especially given how super-special-secret these magic reactors seem to be, would be another give away.
The size is another one - something 50 meters across in all dimensions is HUGE. I don't think you really understand how big such a building would need to be. For something like the Tri-Core, it'd need a building larger than most football stadiums to be constructed in. Right now, every major nation in the world knows of every large vessel under construction. Most shipping companies know, too. They know who, where, how big. And once the vessels go to sea? Again, most major nations track all the big ships all the time. Just like they track almost all airplanes, even military ones.
The money is another issue - billions of dollars in anyone's currency do not disappear without people knowing roughly what they're being used for. Not in the US, not in the old Soviet Union, either.
Then there's the time problem. Large object take a long time to build. A US aircraft carrier is a 10-year project, and there is exactly one shipyard in the US capable of building such a thing. Something as large as the Tri-Core *should* take longer, but it maybe building technologies have dramatically improved in this near future.
Basically, anything involving lots of people or material is impossible to hide. The best they could do is deflect. For example, pretend the Tri-Core was actually two or three other Objects under construction.

Something which is 50 meters large isn't that massive and hard to hide. There are plenty of storehouses and hangars nowadays in which an Object could be built and stored. And materials can be moved easily without anybody noticing considering how every major nation is self-sufficient and building multiple Object simultaneously.
Again, no. Millions of tons of specialty steel do not go anywhere without being noticed. Super-secret reactors are not going to appear without sign. Thousands of people, working day in and day out for years, will not go unnoticed. Even with 60's level photo satellites, the US could track to within a few percent all the output of the Soviet Union. Big things just aren't subtle.

1. It was shown who built the Object in the eyecatch. I'm not implying anything that wasn't stated. I'll be honest here, as a matter of fact, before this episode I myself didn't know which one of the nations built it.
2. Not everyone forgot about sabotage, nor has everyone forgotten about satellites.
The eyecatch says "Affiliation: unknown" in my copy. The scan from the novel on Baka-tsuki says "fumei".
Honestly, if they have rail and coil guns, plus combat lasers capable of one-shotting 10 meters of magic armor, it would be child's play to destroy every observation plane or satellite that came above the horizon... but they don't seem to do that, and certainly don't say that anyone does.

I mean, define "near future". Because the timespan between the modern day and the HO world is like, around the same as the time between the modern world and WW2. Slightly more than the timespan between WW2 and the modern day. And the nations aren't that stable. Few things stable in the HO-verse, and the nations most definitely are not on that list.
It can't be that far future, as they're still using C4. It can't be that long since the Object appeared - I recall something about the designers still designing new Objects, so we're talking 50-years? No more than that, especially considering that all the Object technology was supposedly brand new, beyond cutting edge, when first used.
The problem with new nations as a concept is getting rid of the old ones. There are basically no circumstances in which the United States goes away in the next hundred years, without killing off hundreds of millions of its citizens. For nations like France or Germany, or China, that have histories that make the US look sparkly new, it is even more unlikely. And history has shown that non-stable nations do not make huge capital investments that cost minimum tens of billions of dollars. They just cannot afford it.

Fel
October 27th, 2015, 10:24 AM
Well I'm not gonna argue against a lot of the points you made. I mean hey, people manage to steal whole entire Objects without anybody noticing, so there could easily be a way to hide the construction of an Object. Besides, this isn't even really that important in the context of the series itself. So let's just say you're somewhat right. I will address a few thing you said, though.

The eyecatch says "Affiliation: unknown" in my copy. The scan from the novel on Baka-tsuki says "fumei".
Well it might have been said on the official website or something in that case. I'm not exactly sure on this one.

It can't be that far future, as they're still using C4. It can't be that long since the Object appeared - I recall something about the designers still designing new Objects, so we're talking 50-years? No more than that, especially considering that all the Object technology was supposedly brand new, beyond cutting edge, when first used.

Aside from C4 there's also the hand axe Quenser was using this episode. And well, technology doesn't become more advanced when there's nobody developing it. I imagine that a lot of the budget for the development of small explosives like that was withdrawn.

And no, none of the original designers should be capable of still designing Objects. Like, that was never stated anywhere. The oldest person in this series that we have seen is at an age where it's possible that she was a small child in the pre-object era, but it's also quite likely she wasn't even born yet back then. And she's easily above the age of 50.

The problem with new nations as a concept is getting rid of the old ones. There are basically no circumstances in which the United States goes away in the next hundred years, without killing off hundreds of millions of its citizens. For nations like France or Germany, or China, that have histories that make the US look sparkly new, it is even more unlikely.
None of them really went away though. Countries joined forces with other countries that have similar ideological viewpoints. Kind of like NATO and the Soviets during the cold war, except a lot more messy and fragmented, and instead of an alliance like NATO they just formed one big ass nation. The individual nations still exist, as parts of a bigger country that's actually a lot more like an alliance than it is an actual country.

Countries also split. For example, the US split in two in HO. On one side there were the religious nutjobs, and on the other side there were the capitalist pigs. But that split isn't that unlikely really. And all the splits are kind of like that. A lot of countries nowadays have multiple parties with different political viewpoints. In HO those differing political viewpoints just took physical shape in the form of the countries splitting and then joining up with other parts of the world that share their beliefs. But the countries still kind of exist. One of the world powers in HO has one half of the US, and another one has the other half. But they're still two halves of the US, not two separate countries. Both of them can still be called the US.

And history has shown that non-stable nations do not make huge capital investments that cost minimum tens of billions of dollars. They just cannot afford it.
Which is why it's great that none of them have to make such large investments, considering that Objects, which are their most major investments, aren't even 1% of that.

Rafflesiac
October 27th, 2015, 10:44 AM
Which is why it's great that none of them have to make such large investments, considering that Objects, which are their most major investments, aren't even 1% of that.
Uhh, Objects cost 5 billion dollars.

“…You’re kidding, right? Doesn’t an Object cost at least 5 billion dollars?”

Fel
October 27th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Uhh, Objects cost 5 billion dollars.
I thought it was 500 million yen. Anyways, my mistake. Still less than 10s of billions though.

Trubo
October 27th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Yes, because each country only spends enough money to build a single Object, nevermind the maintenance costs.

eddyak
October 27th, 2015, 12:55 PM
I thought it was 500 million yen. Anyways, my mistake. Still less than 10s of billions though.
You kidding?

500 million yen is companies-funding-advertisements levels, not national funding for new superweapon levels.

Elthanes
October 27th, 2015, 01:41 PM

In what world can you build a superweapon for the price of ~4 million dollar?

Rafflesiac
October 27th, 2015, 01:53 PM
In what world can you build a superweapon for the price of ~4 million dollar?
Academy City?

Fel
October 27th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Stop using so much logic on this. Heavy Object is after all, just a B movie.

Elthanes
October 27th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Stop using so much logic on this. Heavy Object is after all, just a B movie.

You are the one who defended it.

Trubo
October 27th, 2015, 03:07 PM
It's just funny hearing you say that Object production isn't that major when you said this on page 3.

Nice analysis. And yeah, it's pretty much this. It isn't an actual war as much as it is attempting to destroy the other nations financially by fucking up as many of their objects as possible, thus forcing them to waste money on pumping out more objects to replace the destroyed ones. First nation that goes bankrupt loses.

If they aren't major investments as you said with

How is destroying an Object supposed to be draining enough to a nation when there aren't many Objects anyway?

Fel
October 27th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Yeah, I kind of made a mistake with the 500 million yen thingy that was my line of thought when writing second thing you quoted. I admit I screwed up with that, and in hindsight, honestly have no idea what I was thinking when I said that, considering how that amount is far too low. So I apologize for that screw up.

Objects are still 5 billion USD investments, so not that minor, but still minor enough that nations can pump out those objects. They're in that area in which nations can make them, but they can still be driven to bankruptcy thanks to them.

Trubo
October 27th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Yeah, the whole 5 billion USD thing you keep saying is ridiculous. Don't care to find a better article than the following, but here's some perspective on what that roughly is.

http://regretfulmorning.com/2009/07/5-most-expensive-military-vehicles-to-date/

Elthanes
October 27th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Objects are still 5 billion USD investments, so not that minor, but still minor enough that nations can pump out those objects. They're in that area in which nations can make them, but they can still be driven to bankruptcy thanks to them.

I guess you have no sense of scale at all

edit:Nevermind I keep forgetting that you don't have a magnitude between Million and Billion

Toranth
October 27th, 2015, 06:12 PM
Yeah, the whole 5 billion USD thing you keep saying is ridiculous. Don't care to find a better article than the following, but here's some perspective on what that roughly is.
http://regretfulmorning.com/2009/07/5-most-expensive-military-vehicles-to-date/
A good list - the Ford-class carriers are currently estimated to cost over $10 billion each, and each carrier is only about 100,000 tons displacement. That's far less material, and far less complicated material, than even simple Objects are made of.

A quick estimate says the Baby Magnum would cost more than $200 million in raw materials alone, just for the steel in the hull. And that's normal steel, not the super hardened magic powder-treated, high-voltage power circuit embedded, super plates that Objects are made of.

So, yes. Objects, as a military concept, are silly. The science behind them is terrible, and the best you can say about the world presented is that it isn't impossible, just extremely unlikely ("infinitely improbable", anyone?).
But that isn't the point of the story, which is why I wish they'd stop rubbing everyone's nose in it. Spend more time on two poor grunts tackling world-ending superweapons, and less trying to justify the superweapons in the first place.

LJ3
October 27th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I'm just in this for Qwenther/Havia buddy cop shenanigans. And Froleytia

eddyak
October 27th, 2015, 08:52 PM
I'm sticking around for the inevitable female-pilot-removed-from-an-enemy-object and jealousy hijinks.

Alternative Ice
October 27th, 2015, 08:58 PM
I'm just in this to see protagonists who use their brains to beat their opponents instead of just winning because they have the gundam.

October 30th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Goddammit, why is the sfx quality so consistently fucking bad

Rafflesiac
November 6th, 2015, 11:03 PM
Ohoho/Milinda banter is as funny as expected, but the anime's really going overboard on the ruse foreshadowing.

Rafflesiac
November 13th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I was not expecting that to be the whole episode. If anything, I thought they'd get to the .5 by now. It was a nice episode, though.

Though if my ears work correctly and Sewax really was voiced by Koyama Rikiya, then damn, he must never get tired of voicing older dudes with long hair and stubble.

Rafflesiac
November 20th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Welp, that's it for Volume 1.

Vive la Future Volumes!

Toranth
November 20th, 2015, 08:01 PM
That was some really quick tying-up of loose ends there. The Exact Javelin fight, the fall and arrest of the bad guy - all in, what, three minutes?
Still, looking forward to more. More Hime, more Hohoho, more sorry sods... less panty commander, though. DNW.

Rafflesiac
November 20th, 2015, 08:03 PM
I liked how they made the Javelin fight look like the Water Strider fight, but with Milinda on the winning side.

Rafflesiac
November 28th, 2015, 12:21 AM
penguins are cute

havia's waifu is cute

episode was cute

Trubo
November 28th, 2015, 02:26 AM
Cuteness is justice indeed.

Trubo
December 12th, 2015, 12:41 AM
Today's episode:

Pole Dancing: The Anime

Rafflesiac
December 12th, 2015, 02:24 AM
Oh wow, Frolaytia's backstory is actually in cramped, blurry, tiny English on her profile that Creepo McRichie is reading.

Also the dolls at the end preview screen are now Qwenthur and Frolaytia.

Rafflesiac
December 18th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Man, that split-screen moment of Qwenthur and Havia going hero was hype.

I had to smile while Qwenthur was describing Sladder, though.

Rafflesiac
December 25th, 2015, 11:17 PM
TIL sexual harassment saves women from unwanted marriage.

also something about bombs and cookies but really the molesting is key

Rue
January 10th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Just saw the start of the latest arc & its new OP. Ridiculous names as ever.

Glad to see the various side characters like their fellow squadmates though, Burning Alpha's a cool dude, now if only Mariydi "Ice Girl 1" Whitewitch also appears... (though it seems it will only get up to volume 4).

January 10th, 2016, 10:13 PM
I think Burning Alpha fights her in volume 6

it doesn't seem Heavy Object is too popular in Japan so I don't expect a second season. They should have made Quenser and Havia supermodel prettyboys to draw in the fujoshi crowd.

Trubo
January 24th, 2016, 02:17 AM
Question about volume 1. Did that last minute resistance by Flide ever get explained? Cause volume 2 just jumps to a different story.

Rafflesiac
January 24th, 2016, 02:28 AM
Question about volume 1. Did that last minute resistance by Flide ever get explained? Cause volume 2 just jumps to a different story.
It's summed up as "Oh God I'm blown they're gonna arrest me okay private Elite I had on hand bail me out with your Object" and then Milinda blows it up and Flide gets caught, court-martialed, etc.

Trubo
January 24th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Is that in some sort of side material? I mean, based on the anime and that ending it's easy enough to figure as much, but I'm curious as to what happened to that secret Object's Elite.

Rafflesiac
January 24th, 2016, 02:45 AM
That's as much as we get.

Flide having an Elite and Object only served as a bookend to the initial Object fight. Neither one has shown up since.

LJ3
January 24th, 2016, 04:01 AM
So Ohoho is a little girl. Okay Kamachi, I feel a little betrayed.

What is even her name

Trubo
January 24th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Only read through the first three volumes, hasn't been said yet. Or, if it has, it was mentioned once in passing but didn't stick because Ohoho.

Trubo
January 26th, 2016, 10:48 PM
So is Volume 5 entirely not about Qwenther and Hevia? I don't mind Mariydi, just surprised there's nothing about the regular cast so far.

Rafflesiac
January 26th, 2016, 10:49 PM
Yup, they don't show at all.

Rue
January 27th, 2016, 01:21 AM
Mariydi's cool, she's basically a badass Elite without an Object. It's clearly a side story & one of the things about that volume is that the 2 idiots' Kingdom is clearly the enemies in that front. Its also interesting to see the POVs of people from the other sides.

Trubo
January 27th, 2016, 01:53 AM
Does she appear in another one? Would be neat to see some interaction between her and Burning Alpha.

Rue
January 27th, 2016, 04:29 AM
Does she appear in another one? Would be neat to see some interaction between her and Burning Alpha.
Your in luck, they will.

Doing what they do best, riding their respective wings.

Trubo
January 29th, 2016, 08:55 PM
Didn't like how they did today's episode, but having a hard time coming up with ways to make it better. Which is really weird since the previous episode was pretty good in terms of setting up the rest of the story.

Rafflesiac
January 29th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Huh, I really enjoyed it.

It was sidesplitting when it should've been and fairly serious and emotional otherwise.

Trubo
January 29th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Maybe it's just the severe lack of Hevia.

Trubo
January 30th, 2016, 01:58 AM
Volume 9, why is there a female Quenser?

Rafflesiac
January 30th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Oh, the intelligence head.

Millie or something, right?

Rafflesiac
January 30th, 2016, 02:05 AM
Oh, the intelligence head.

Millie or something, right?

Trubo
January 30th, 2016, 04:41 PM
Putana was great, I hope she shows up again in Volume 11.

Trubo
February 5th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Anyone have this without the lol subtitles?

http://i.imgur.com/SRTYH3e.jpg

Also, I like how they gave the minor characters pretty decent designs, but shame that most of them are going to die off quickly.

relt
February 5th, 2016, 10:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/DRK5Rb4.jpg

Trubo
February 5th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Thanks relt

Rafflesiac
February 6th, 2016, 02:18 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Dov61WI.jpg

Aww yeah

Sniper Luvia and new volume

Rafflesiac
February 12th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Man, Qwenthur's lucky he's got a hard head.

Rafflesiac
February 20th, 2016, 11:50 AM
And that was when Luvia killed everyone.

Rafflesiac
March 18th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Wow, wasn't expecting the Manchurian Milinda this episode. Right when she finally got one up on Ohoho too!

eddyak
March 18th, 2016, 04:49 PM
aw shit

shit is getting real