PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars: The Old Republic

jwang
November 29th, 2011, 08:29 PM
So, open beta has just ended, and the game is coming out in about 2 weeks for pre-order folks, 3 weeks for official release. I actually found myself pleasantly surprised as I enjoyed playing through as a member of the Empire (Republic is lame, Lawful Evil magnificent bastards all the way). While graphics aren't as pretty as I'm used to now, the gameplay and storyline far outstrips any shortfalls the game might have. In group play, idiots will always be idiots, and will continue to stand in fire despite telling them not to stand in it before engaging the boss. Luckily, with your companion you can avoid a lot of the complications that comes with playing with other random players. In fact, I've enjoyed this game so much, I've put in a pre-order even though I told myself I wouldn't be buying it when it came out. What I'd like to know now is how does everyone else feels about this new MMO.

Arashi_Leonhart
November 30th, 2011, 02:09 AM
My Christmas/birthday present from my mother is a computer, so I will be able to play this game. And with three other friends, we will be replacing our tabletop nights at least temporarily with playing this together.

Theocrass
November 30th, 2011, 02:13 AM
I hear WoW has been losing tons of subscribers to the beta alone.

That says something about this game, since WoW has been dominating MMORPGs for a long ass time.

MssrNeko
November 30th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Now remind me again, which endings is the MMO following from the original 2 games?

Arashi_Leonhart
November 30th, 2011, 02:26 AM
All Star Wars games default upon Light Side endings. Revan (male) redeems Bastila Shan (romantically) and destroys the Star Forge before disappearing into the Unknown Regions; The Exile (female) destroys the Mass Shadow Generator and helps reestablish the Jedi Order before chasing after Revan.

mewarmo990
November 30th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I got into one of the testing weekends a coupe weeks ago and enjoyed it, but I refused to play any more of it after reaching the major hub worlds until the game is out. I'm worried I'll get bored and/or spoil myself on too much of the storyline before I replay it.

I'm one of those people who is getting this game because it's the closest thing we'll ever have to KOTOR 3 (and it does a decent job), not because I particularly like MMOs and a WoW-like one at that. On the contrary, I've been unable to commit to any MMO for longer than 3-4 months, so I hope the story/VA and content updates are good and frequent enough to justify the subscription.

Tobias
November 30th, 2011, 10:07 AM
I keep meaning to go play KOTOR 1 and 2 again just so I can remember what the fuck is going on.

SeiKeo
November 30th, 2011, 10:59 AM
All Star Wars games default upon Light Side endings. Revan (male) redeems Bastila Shan (romantically) and destroys the Star Forge before disappearing into the Unknown Regions; The Exile (female) destroys the Mass Shadow Generator and helps reestablish the Jedi Order before chasing after Revan.

And then they retconned half of the series.

Kratosirving
November 30th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I keep meaning to go play KOTOR 1 and 2 again just so I can remember what the fuck is going on.

Thanks for reminding me that I have something to play before it comes out again. :D

SeiKeo
November 30th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Remember to get the restoration patches for KOTOR 2.

mewarmo990
November 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM
And then they retconned half of the series.
Those fucking cartoons, man... retcon isn't even the right word for it. Huge sections of lore about or related to the Mandalorians have been destroyed now that they are apparently a pacifistic civilization or some utterly ridiculous bullshit.

And don't even get me started on this edit to the blu-ray movie... Greedo shooting first was stupid but not a big deal, but this is just... so wrong. What is George Lucas thinking!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4I

Theocrass
November 30th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Why did they retcon fuck awesome 2d clone wars cartoon with fuck crappy cg clone wars cartoon? ;_;

SeiKeo
November 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM
RE: What is he thinking. Money.

mewarmo990
November 30th, 2011, 11:19 AM
RE: What is he thinking. Money.
You really think so? Throngs of people will automatically buy a Star Wars no matter what. Even more of them will buy it if he reverts those weird changes.

Some of them don't necessarily hurt, like a CG Yoda, but I just don't see the point of it all.

Why did they retcon fuck awesome 2d clone wars cartoon with fuck crappy cg clone wars cartoon? ;_;
Actually, parts of the incredibly awesome Samurai Jack-style cartoon were already in conflict with the movies (which are absolute canon) and some novels, so they had to retcon it. I just wish it wasn't through such a shitty medium, though...

Theocrass
November 30th, 2011, 11:20 AM
WHO CARES WARMO

THE CARTOON WAS AWESOME

Tobias
November 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM
Remember to get the restoration patches for KOTOR 2.

whusaat

SeiKeo
November 30th, 2011, 11:36 AM
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Restored_Content_Mod;111657

M (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Restored_Content_Mod;111657)od, puts back a shitton of cut content back into the game.

Tobias
November 30th, 2011, 11:41 AM
....huh. guess I am going to need a pc version.

ah, hell with it, thats why god invented torrentz

jwang
November 30th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I tried playing KOTOR on my PC, but it just won't work when I tried. Screens keep freezing, so on and so forth. Its compatibility with newer computers is dreadful to the point where I just gave up on it.

Tobias
November 30th, 2011, 11:45 AM
....crud. I was just bought a new computer

mewarmo990
November 30th, 2011, 12:57 PM
http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Restored_Content_Mod;111657

M (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/TSL_Restored_Content_Mod;111657)od, puts back a shitton of cut content back into the game.
That's an outdated patch.

Here is the most recent one. (http://knightsoftheoldrepublic.filefront.com/file/;115177)

NarkNarkins
November 30th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Those fucking cartoons, man... retcon isn't even the right word for it. Huge sections of lore about or related to the Mandalorians have been destroyed now that they are apparently a pacifistic civilization or some utterly ridiculous bullshit.

WHAT! MANDALORIANS PACIFIST??

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!

Arashi_Leonhart
November 30th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Mandalorians are divided by the regular culture of normal humans that live on Mandalore and other planets in Mandalorian space, and groups like the Supercommandos and Death Watch who thrive on mercenary work and battle like normal, though the latter groups are themselves split on how to behave. Anyway, it really has no bearing on The Old Republic.

TypeWannabe
November 30th, 2011, 10:23 PM
I too love Samurai Jack, and I keep hoping they will finish the series one day, some how. Carry on wayward samurai, there will be peace when you are done.

mewarmo990
December 1st, 2011, 01:00 AM
I too love Samurai Jack, and I keep hoping they will finish the series one day, some how. Carry on wayward samurai, there will be peace when you are done.
Samurai Jack x Mace Windu crossover kickassery.

It has to be in the works. Has to be.

Hen_Ichi
December 2nd, 2011, 01:03 PM
There's another beta starting tonight, so I get to play =3

As for subscribing, doesn't look good. I may not have the time to get good value out of it =(
If a bunch of friends subscribe that may drag me into the dark side however.

And don't even get me started on this edit to the blu-ray movie... Greedo shooting first was stupid but not a big deal, but this is just... so wrong. What is George Lucas thinking!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27RVJJfny4IWell. Yes. But I think we mean they retconned most of KOTOR II

http://deadlystream.com/forum/forum/4-tslrcm/
^ This is where the people restoring KOTOR II reside usually.

Fangstrike
December 3rd, 2011, 10:45 PM
Is playing online free or is there like some kind of subscription fee?

Tobias
December 3rd, 2011, 10:48 PM
the beta might actually be free, but the game itself will be fee based

jwang
December 4th, 2011, 06:24 PM
For purchasing the game, you get 30 days free. To play more than that, you need to pay a monthly fee, which ranges from $13 for 6 month 1 time fee to $15 1 month fee. Yes, they say $12.99 and $14.99, but we all know that's just a psychological ploy to make things seem cheaper. On another note, it seems like you don't have to sacrifice form for function in terms of gear in this game. Find a piece of gear you like? Just continually mod it as you get new gear. Being able to pop out stat pieces out of new gear and put them into cool looking old gear definitely is one of the highlights for me. Now I can put my companion in slave girl outfit and not worry about her not being up to snuff in combat!

Trevelyan
December 4th, 2011, 06:43 PM
For KOTOR, there are patches and .ini tweaks for graphics issues - when I got a new Nvidia card, I had to apply a fix in order to fix serious freezing issues. Good thing about a game that old? Most of the issues are documented and fixed.

jwang
December 5th, 2011, 10:20 PM
So, for those who didn't get the beta client for the 11/25 weekend stress test, you all have a 27 gig download to look forward to (that's what the estimate is). Early release access folks will be given their access date via e-mail. For those who do have the beta client, you only have to patch up to release version and you're good to go. I've uploaded the beta client install file http://hotfile.com/dl/136841449/7b22c11/SWTOR_setup.exe.html. You will still need to have a Bioware TOR account to log in and update the client, and you will need the game key registered to your account in order to play the game at release.

mewarmo990
December 6th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Yeah, but I'm worried the patch is going to be huge. Beta builds are usually at least a few weeks older than the time of the playtesting session.

I hope good content is added frequently enough to justify the sub fee. If I'm going to spend $15 a month it's going to mean I stop buying other games.

jwang
December 14th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Early access waves 1-5 are sent. US servers are mostly standard with a few lights and heavies sprinkled in, while Euro servers are see much greater strain. I suspect my early access will come tomorrow... here's hoping!

Kratosirving
December 14th, 2011, 06:00 PM
I'm going to have to wait until Christmas to get it myself XD

Been hearing that in the actual games there will be free trial codes so they can be given to friends. Any word on if this is true?

mewarmo990
December 14th, 2011, 09:45 PM
STAR WARS I AM IN YOU

Kratosirving
December 14th, 2011, 10:09 PM
STAR WARS I AM IN YOU

...That is so wrong.

Sigged.

Fangstrike
December 17th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Is the extra stuff in the digital deluxe version worth the extra money?

mewarmo990
December 17th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Is the extra stuff in the digital deluxe version worth the extra money?
Not really. If they drop the price to 60ish, then yes.

...says the idiot who bought the Collector's Edition...

Hen_Ichi
December 17th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Ahh... experience... the best teacher....

:P

I'm abusing the early access, but won't be firing the subscription off till indefinitely ;_;
Too much need doing, too little time to play ;_;

Fangstrike
December 18th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Not really. If they drop the price to 60ish, then yes.

...says the idiot who bought the Collector's Edition...

I thought about buying the collector's edition, but I'm too poor. Don't worry mewarmo, I probably would've bought it too if I could.

Kratosirving
December 21st, 2011, 05:30 PM
Anyone that's playing this want to play on the same server if possible? Just got myself :D

Arashi_Leonhart
December 22nd, 2011, 12:51 AM
Arg I won't have it for another week or so. My friends are already debating between an in-joke name for a guild (or whatever they're called, I forget) or "Unlimited Blade Works" for a serious one. ;_;

MZeroX
December 22nd, 2011, 01:01 AM
how is Unlimited Blade Works not a joke name?

Kratosirving
December 22nd, 2011, 02:54 AM
Currently I'm playing on a PvE server called Darth Sion, which seems to be a medium to medium-high population one.

mewarmo990
December 22nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
^

If you made a guild named that... I would think "lol weeaboos". I mean, why not an actual organization that actually sounds novel?

e.g. Burial Agency, Sea of Estray would make me go "oh, they are fellow Type-Moon fans!"

/elitist

Arashi_Leonhart
December 22nd, 2011, 06:25 PM

Cause we'd actually be an entire group of Jedi, so, it actually has some level of in-universe context. "What's a Dewback?" is the jokey one that has a long and time-honored tradition in my group of friends. Most of which don't know a thing about Nasuverse.

Fangstrike
December 22nd, 2011, 06:52 PM
Anyone that's playing this want to play on the same server if possible? Just got myself :D

I just got it the other day, but I haven't installed it yet - hope to get it done tonight. Wouldn't mind partying.

Kratosirving
December 22nd, 2011, 07:32 PM
Since max group size is 4, looks like we could already have a full party to level with if me, Fang, Arashi and mew all want to play on the same server. :D

Fangstrike
December 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Out of curiosity, what classes did everyone pick? I'm thinking of Consular myself, once I finish the downloading process.

Kratosirving
December 23rd, 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm loving the Bounty Hunter ==> Powertech, and after finding out that Mako was only a romance option companion for MALE BH's I was thinking of rerolling anyhow. I may or may not, it would depend on who and the personality of the female companion love interest is.

Fangstrike
December 23rd, 2011, 09:42 AM
Hearing that only fuels my desire to play. Speaking of classes...

Question: Are we stuck with the character class we pick at creation? As in once I go Jedi Consular there's no going back? Or can I choose later to create another character who's a Sith Warrior? One of the MMOs I played in the past had you pay if you wanted to create another character. Was wondering if there was something similar here.

Kratosirving
December 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
You can make more than one character, yes. Each basic character (Jedi Consular, Sith Warrior) does have two advanced classes that once picked cannot be switched though, so take the Bounty Hunter. They can become either a Powertech which focuses more on Tanking or damage (depends, but most people are going to assume you to be a Tank because of the choice) or they can become a Mercenary, which focuses more on damage or Healing. (I love Mercs that heal, especially since most Sith Sorcerers (Inquisitor advanced class) seem to just want to pew pew with Lightning rather than heal since they're arguably better at it.)

Basically, I suggest that if you roll an advanced class that can heal or tank, look to gear towards that since you'll be more likely to grab groups as that spec rather than damage.

mewarmo990
December 23rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
My main is an Operative (Agent) on the Mandalore the Indomitable server. Made that one to guild with some RL friends. Built for healing w/ ranged DPS as a secondary role.

Have also tried a Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular, to the end of their starting planets. Those are okay but really not any different than traditional MMO Warrior and Mage type classes. Though Consular can be specced for melee.

I really want to try making a Trooper, as those look cool.

Fangstrike
December 23rd, 2011, 11:20 PM
You can make more than one character, yes. Each basic character (Jedi Consular, Sith Warrior) does have two advanced classes that once picked cannot be switched though, so take the Bounty Hunter. They can become either a Powertech which focuses more on Tanking or damage (depends, but most people are going to assume you to be a Tank because of the choice) or they can become a Mercenary, which focuses more on damage or Healing. (I love Mercs that heal, especially since most Sith Sorcerers (Inquisitor advanced class) seem to just want to pew pew with Lightning rather than heal since they're arguably better at it.)

Basically, I suggest that if you roll an advanced class that can heal or tank, look to gear towards that since you'll be more likely to grab groups as that spec rather than damage.

Thanks for clearing that up, Kratos. I'm on the Darth Sion server too now, rolling through the Consular's starting story. Should we exchange screenames or something? I haven't played MMOs in awhile.

As for advanced class, yeah, that's something that I considered, but that's only if I've got someone to party with. I heard its better to spec in one area than both (healing vs damage), but I haven't even gotten there yet.

My main is an Operative (Agent) on the Mandalore the Indomitable server. Made that one to guild with some RL friends. Built for healing w/ ranged DPS as a secondary role.

Have also tried a Sith Warrior and Jedi Consular, to the end of their starting planets. Those are okay but really not any different than traditional MMO Warrior and Mage type classes. Though Consular can be specced for melee.

I really want to try making a Trooper, as those look cool.

Whoa, mewarmo. You've already been through several characters? I feel like I've got major catching up to do.

Classes/characters only work on the server you make them on right? You can't just up and transfer it or anything, can you?

Kratosirving
December 24th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Yeah they only work on the Server they're on, so we'd all have to join the same Server and the same Faction to be able to play together. As it stands right now I only have Imperial characters on the Darth Sion server, so we couldn't exchange in-game character names thanks to opposite faction.

I've been thinking about leaving that server anyhow since it's population has just soared in the past two days (went from Standard to fucking FULL and already had queue times earlier in the day.)

Fangstrike
December 24th, 2011, 02:46 AM
Yeah they only work on the Server they're on, so we'd all have to join the same Server and the same Faction to be able to play together. As it stands right now I only have Imperial characters on the Darth Sion server, so we couldn't exchange in-game character names thanks to opposite faction.

I've been thinking about leaving that server anyhow since it's population has just soared in the past two days (went from Standard to fucking FULL and already had queue times earlier in the day.)

Ah, that's too bad. Let me know when or if you decide to leave the server. I'd still like to play together, and I have yet to go Darkside yet.