PDA

View Full Version : Broad Bridge - a Fate/EXTRA resource

mewarmo990
December 1st, 2011, 04:41 AM
Back in summer 2010, disappointed as I was by the cesspit of fanon and unsourced information that was Type-Moon Wikia, I decided to make a fan site for the newly released PSP Fate/EXTRA RPG. Since then I've very slowly added to the site, though most of my notes are still unorganized and on paper.

Now that the game is out in English, I figured it would be a good time to call some attention to this site again since I've recently started updating it again. For now I'm focusing on lore tidbits rather than game-related facts and guides, since there are already several excellent Japanese sites for that and a FAQ is bound to go up on GameFAQs sometime.

Take a look! I appreciate constructive feedback.

https://himawaribeam.wordpress.com/

Tobias
December 1st, 2011, 08:39 AM
minor note, wasnt it revealed that the disappearing students were also being killed by kuzuki?

dpirit hacking could use an entry in concepts.

EDIT: I am just editing things in as I notice. Also, great idea mew, what a nice thing to do

Name: 黄金率・皇帝特権 (Ougonritsu – Koutei Tokken); Golden Rule – Imperial Privilege

wait wait, in game this was called imperial prerogative, but it literally means golden rule, imperial priviledge? more or less stating she used her imperial privilege skill to give herself golden rule? ok, thats actually quite interesting.

....but, that skill lasts the whole freaking game, how does that work?

mewarmo990
December 1st, 2011, 01:04 PM
minor note, wasnt it revealed that the disappearing students were also being killed by kuzuki?

dpirit hacking could use an entry in concepts.

EDIT: I am just editing things in as I notice. Also, great idea mew, what a nice thing to do

Name: 黄金率・皇帝特権 (Ougonritsu – Koutei Tokken); Golden Rule – Imperial Privilege

wait wait, in game this was called imperial prerogative, but it literally means golden rule, imperial priviledge? more or less stating she used her imperial privilege skill to give herself golden rule? ok, thats actually quite interesting.

....but, that skill lasts the whole freaking game, how does that work?
Thanks for the feedback. One thing at a time...

Some story-related details (like Kuzuki killing students) I have been hesitant to include because not everyone comes from this forum, and I don't have a clear policy on spoilers yet. It basically reveals that he's a villain, when I'm not sure if I should do that. Yet at the same time I am putting Servants' true names and Noble Phantasms in white-colored text, so...

By spirit hacking, you mean the thing that Aoko does to spend skill points? Or the whole hacking thing in general? I have an entry under People for that but you're probably right.

For Saber's skill, it's just a longer name that Aksys couldn't fit in English. It's like 30 characters versus 8 originally.

I actually just realized I made a minor typo with "Golden Rule" because of IME autocorrect: it should be 黄金律. In any case, it's not a "golden rule" you're suggesting, as in a prosperous reign. It refers to the "do unto others as you would have them do to you". Though in Greco-Roman times it would have been the negative form of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule#Ancient_Greece)(don't treat others in a way you wouldn't want to be treated)

Kotonoha
December 1st, 2011, 01:12 PM
You should put something about the difference between wizards and magi, since the translation screwed that up.

Tobias
December 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
For spirit hacking I meant the latter term, about magi using their mystic circuits to connect to the grail after traditional thatamurgy died.

Tobias
December 1st, 2011, 02:18 PM
I actually just realized I made a minor typo with "Golden Rule" because of IME autocorrect: it should be 黄金律. In any case, it's not a "golden rule" you're suggesting, as in a prosperous reign. It refers to the "do unto others as you would have them do to you". Though in Greco-Roman times it would have been the negative form of this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule#Ancient_Greece)(don't treat others in a way you wouldn't want to be treated)

wait, sorry, double post but I am trying to wrap my mind around this, so something like, because "I gave great gifts, let me be given great gifts!"

does that sound about right?

mewarmo990
December 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
You should put something about the difference between wizards and magi, since the translation screwed that up.
I thought I already did in the original entries, but I'll clarify it.

wait, sorry, double post but I am trying to wrap my mind around this, so something like, because "I gave great gifts, let me be given great gifts!"

does that sound about right?
I guess? It's not like there's anything in the game to explain all the flowery skill names, at least not that I've seen.

For spirit hacking I meant the latter term, about magi using their mystic circuits to connect to the grail after traditional thatamurgy died.
Yeah I'll consider it. Not sure if it needs its own separate entry, as I will mention that with the difference between wizards and traditional magi.
I'm adding in more info incrementally as I make sense of my notes and play the game. Aksys didn't get everything right but they did translate the parts that I wasn't sure about, so I need to find those bits too.

Tobias
December 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM
fine fine, it still kind of puzzles me it was a skill she apparently gained by virtue of imperial privilege and never didnt have it.

mewarmo990
December 1st, 2011, 07:05 PM
fine fine, it still kind of puzzles me it was a skill she apparently gained by virtue of imperial privilege and never didnt have it.
Er.

I think you should think of it this way: As the emperor, it is her prerogative to give and take what she wants. It's an innate trait of Emperor Nero, the Heroic Spirit.

In fact, it's one of her Servant skills, though that specifically applies to temporary acquisition of other skills she normally wouldn't have, whereas the line you're asking about is a passive item drop rate bonus granted by Golden Rule.

When I get home I'm going to check Golden Rule's name again. I am honestly not sure - I've been using two different websites as a quick reference, but they list two different names for the skill because same pronunciation.

Tobias
December 1st, 2011, 07:10 PM
I don't think you quite understood what I was saying.

I look at imperial privilege-skill as saying, this skill was acquired via her other skill that lets her aqquire skills, IE, imperial privilege. Thing is, that is supposed to have a time limit, so it's permanent nature puzzles me.

And if it wasn't acquired via imperial privilege (the skill) you are gonna want to spell that out because I expect just about everyone is going to make that mistake when they see it.

mewarmo990
December 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM
I don't think you quite understood what I was saying.

I look at imperial privilege-skill as saying, this skill was acquired via her other skill that lets her aqquire skills, IE, imperial privilege. Thing is, that is supposed to have a time limit, so it's permanent nature puzzles me.

And if it wasn't acquired via imperial privilege (the skill) you are gonna want to spell that out because I expect just about everyone is going to make that mistake when they see it.
Ah, okay. You keep phrasing it in a very confusing way, I read it as "she gets Imperial Privilege because of Imperial Privilege" which didn't make a lot of sense.

You're talking about Golden Rule (which Gilgamesh has). Yes, the full name indicates that she has it as a result of Imperial Privilege. I can include that, though I'd only been inputting game info up to this point.

I think it's the most reasonable explanation.

mewarmo990
December 6th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Spent a lot of time today reloading old saves, taking notes from characters like Leo who love to explain things.

Pretty interesting to see how some older Nasumagic terms have been substituted in the digital magic age, with ruby text.

Tobias
December 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Actually, I pretty much love Leo. Kirei's tendency to monologue always irritated the fuck out of me in fate but even rin can't be bothered to info dump in extra so Leo is the one person who actually offers juicy information about the moon cell to pick apart.

There are so few info dumps in extra comparative to fate I almost found myself getting excited when one would come up.

Though, I will say, when rin was preparing for one and said you could ask her anything, I was a little disappointed you couldn't ask her three measurements or what color are her panties or something

mewarmo990
February 28th, 2013, 02:09 AM
So this is super old and unfinished because it got localized, but I just happened to log into Wordpress today for no particular reason. (actually I think I was looking up how I translated something, for Reiu)

For some reason, site hits peaked on February 14. What. Why. What is so romantic about Fate/EXTRA and my weird translations.

Reiu
February 28th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Chimeric Lunar Sea just screams "Valentine's date spot."

I3uster
February 28th, 2013, 08:33 AM
After the neckbeard realizes he has no girlfriend, he looks for a broad bridge to throw himself off. Lands on mews site. Proceeds to curse the world.

mewarmo990
November 7th, 2014, 08:39 PM
I don't know if anyone cares about this site anymore since the game was localized. I actually forgot it existed for a while

lol but I recently ripped EXTRA from my UMD, got it working in HD on an emulator, and copied my save over. Anyway I was looking through my notes and found some stuff so I translated and posted it.

It's conversations with Leo about the Holy Grail. Here. (http://himawaribeam.wordpress.com/fate-extra/concepts/the-holy-grail/)

Frostyvale
November 7th, 2014, 08:49 PM
You know I was certain that you were talking about Leopardbear, but this is actually better than that.

Thanks.

mewarmo990
November 11th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Today I made a new page (http://himawaribeam.wordpress.com/fate-extra/unsorted-translations/) to dump some of my notes as I transition them from paper.

celsius
November 12th, 2014, 03:49 AM
"Archer (Playable)" link directs to Robin's page.

Don't suppose that was deliberate?

mewarmo990
November 12th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Accidental. Thanks for catching that!

mewarmo990
November 13th, 2014, 03:31 AM
Idle thoughts during translation:

By now we all know that Red Saber commonly addresses the player character as "奏者" with ruby text Master. And less commonly, just "Master". Aksys translated 奏者 as "Praetor" because there was no English equivalent that communicated "Master" and "actor" at the same time and we don't use ruby text in English. And, if you don't know any better, Praetor sounds appropriately authoritative and exotic. But it doesn't really make sense.

A praetor was an ancient Roman title granted to 1) military field commanders and 2) elected magistrates. Both of which are pretty far below Nero's position of Emperor, but maybe we can let that slide since the player is both a field commander of sorts and an appointed leader. Still, it completely lacks the "actor/player" dimension, which strongly alludes to Nero's love of the arts.

So I was thinking, if we ignored the authority part, I personally think "Thespian" or "Thesp" would work.

I would've liked to have been part of that conversation at Aksys.

celsius
November 13th, 2014, 04:33 AM
What about "Maestro"?

mewarmo990
November 13th, 2014, 04:36 AM
Conceptually it's not a bad fit actually! But it sounds too Italian, because it is.

Apparently derived from magisterium, which is too unwieldy.

so like I said, I understand the choice of "praetor", just wish there were something better.

celsius
November 13th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Yeah, but "Thespian" or "Thesp" doesn't really sound like the kind of thing you'd call someone as any sort of nickname or title.

How about "Magister" then?

mewarmo990
November 13th, 2014, 04:42 AM
Different meaning. (academic, teacher)

Trying to denote both "Master" and "play actor" angles. Praetor and Thespian each get one but not the other :P

Maestro gets fairly close to both but sounds like the wrong language...

Stupid Japanese and stupid cheating ruby text.

celsius
November 13th, 2014, 04:45 AM
Director, then?

mewarmo990
November 13th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Now it just sounds like we're making a movie.

celsius
November 13th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Alternatively, what about Conductor? Or Conducere?

mewarmo990
November 13th, 2014, 04:55 AM
ehhhhh.

Also:

Yeah, but "Thespian" or "Thesp" doesn't really sound like the kind of thing you'd call someone as any sort of nickname or title.

For Thespian, yes it does. But as I said, it's little better than Praetor. More historically accurate maybe.

celsius
November 13th, 2014, 04:57 AM
Well, yes, but it lacks a certain affectionate charm. Or maybe that's just me.

Rokudaime
November 13th, 2014, 07:20 AM
Conceptually it's not a bad fit actually! But it sounds too Italian, because it is.
Maestro gets fairly close to both but sounds like the wrong language...

You mean because it's Italian, and not English? I don't see the problem with that, borrow-words (from other languages) are not uncommon in English (or most other languages), and Maestro is a fairly well known word to most English speakers. It also fits damn well that it's Italian, since, you know, Nero is a Roman Emperor. :P And like you said, it gets close to both the "Master" and the "play actor" angles. It's certainly not perfect, but I think it's the best suggestion so far.

Mcjon01
November 13th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Maybe Aktor would work? Since in Ancient Greek it means "leader" (well, according to Wikipedia anyway and there's no Seika around anymore to correct me if that's wrong), and it's a cognate with the Latin actor, meaning "performer". So it's almost the same double meaning as the Japanese, and given that Nero was such a huge Ancient Greece fangirl it's exactly the sort of cross-lingual pun I'd expect her to know.

Break
November 13th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Sounds good to me; honestly anything's better than "Master" to me, since that sounds so slave-y. Especially since the japanese pretty much pronounce it like "mastah".

DrJones
November 13th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I remember there was this one ancient english word that is still used to denote stage actors (vs. feature film actors) which is the one you might be looking for, unfortunately I only kept in my vocabulary list the spanish term, "Figura" (Figure, Figurehead, character, major player).

Kotonoha
November 13th, 2014, 11:38 AM
I said this in the other thread but I think it's "instrument player" rather than "actor".

DrJones
November 13th, 2014, 11:46 AM
"Instrument player" could indeed be the word I'm looking for. Is the word used 役者 by happenstance?

Break
November 13th, 2014, 11:49 AM
Hakuno plays her like an instrument, huh.

Now i see him/her rocking out with a guitar in the design of her sword. After all, she does consider it an instrument.

Kotonoha
November 13th, 2014, 11:50 AM
"Instrument player" could indeed be the word I'm looking for. Is the word used 役者 by happenstance?
It's 奏者 actually.

Paitouch
November 13th, 2014, 11:55 AM

By now we all know that Red Saber commonly addresses the player character as "奏者" with ruby text Master. And less commonly, just "Master". Aksys translated 奏者 as "Praetor"

DrJones
November 13th, 2014, 11:59 AM
That one means "Concertista" or "Concertino" in spanish, the person who guides (performs) a concert. It could be translated to english as 'Player', 'instrumentalist', 'Soloist', 'Concertmaster', 'Performer', 'Leader', 'Guider' and 'Conductor'.

Edit: I also suggest "Orchestrator".

Mcjon01
November 13th, 2014, 12:03 PM
Anyway, I formally suggest Master, because I like when anime girls call me Master.

DrJones
November 13th, 2014, 06:04 PM
While a non-orthodox translation, I think "Muse" would oddly befit Nero. That option might give away her identity, though.

"Are you my Muse?"

celsius
November 13th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Let's just go with the obvious one and use "waifu".

Hakuno's pretty much her waifu anyway.

Laith
November 13th, 2014, 06:13 PM
I'm pretty sure Tamamo already uses that =V

celsius
November 13th, 2014, 06:18 PM
No, no, to Tamamo, it's "Husbando".

The meaning changes depending on Hakuno's gender, of course.

For Male Hakuno, it's
Saber - Husbando
Caster - Husbando

And for Female Hakuno, it's
Saber - Waifu
Caster - Waifu

mewarmo990
November 14th, 2014, 07:22 AM
It's 3 in the morning and I've just woken up, so let's play Fate/EXTRA!

No mic because people are sleeping, but I will keep an eye on the chat!

www.twitch.tv/mewarmo990 (http://www.twitch.tv/mewarmo990)

Kotonoha
November 14th, 2014, 10:22 AM
What are you using to emulate/stream this? kinda interested in seeing if I could stream ccc (even though I probably wouldn't because I'm lazy)

Mcjon01
November 14th, 2014, 10:25 AM
Pretty sure it's ppsspp, I just saw him go into the menu.

mewarmo990
November 14th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Yeah PPSSPP. It upscales to whatever resolution I want so it looks great. I was able to copy my saves over from my PSP and continue playing (doesn't go the other way though). Latest builds here: http://buildbot.orphis.net/ppsspp/

Streaming with OBS (https://www.obsproject.com/). Not too hard to set up, there are guides for Twitch.

Just wrapped up the stream! Stupid Gawain and his Excalispam. I have Reraise so it's all good in the end.

Mcjon01
November 14th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Neat, it's been a while since I downloaded it; looks like the new builds run CCC a lot better than the 9.8 versions. Shadows actually work right now!

hinode
November 14th, 2014, 01:00 PM
What are you using to emulate/stream this? kinda interested in seeing if I could stream ccc (even though I probably wouldn't because I'm lazy)

Clearly you should set it up to take twitch commands for input instead of playing manually. I mean, what could possibly go wrong? :nasu:

mAc Chaos
November 14th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I've been wanting to get my hands on PPSPP and Extra for a while. Or at least something that works on a Mac.

Last time I tried it was impossible.

I'll have to check out the stream archive.

mewarmo990
November 14th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Twitch plays Fate/EXTRA CCC

I'd watch/troll that.

Anyway, I formally suggest Master, because I like when anime girls call me Master.

*shrug* half the time it says 奏者 she actually says "Master" out loud anyway. It's not always clear because this game is barely voiced outside of the private conversations.

mewarmo990
November 16th, 2014, 03:47 AM
I'm jelly of how nice some streamers' channels are, so I whipped up a really crude overlay in anticipation of the next EXTRA stream. UBW, chat, and follower alerts!

https://cdn.mediacru.sh/nTNtWyhj64XM.jpg

mewarmo990
November 22nd, 2014, 07:26 PM
Setting up in a few minutes. Going to be testing my new streaming overlay, as well as seeing what comes after kicking Gawain's ass in Round 7.

Come watch and subscribe!

www.twitch.tv/mewarmo990

Pillzman
November 22nd, 2014, 10:24 PM
Ohh, interesting. Do you have a schedule?

mewarmo990
November 22nd, 2014, 11:41 PM
at this time, not really.

More likely to stream on Friday and Saturdays.

mewarmo990
November 23rd, 2014, 01:53 PM
Another bit of my old notes translated and dumped in Unsorted (https://himawaribeam.wordpress.com/fate-extra/unsorted-translations/) (back in 2011 I used to type or write down the text of the game, to reference later). No new info this time, just some talk about Reality Marbles that we already know plus the initial Master selection.

Also translated the first Q&A with Archer from Round 1. You can view it at the bottom of his profile page (http://himawaribeam.wordpress.com/fate-extra/people/archer-player/).

Although, this bit by Leo Harway is curious...

サーヴァントの中にも、この固有結界を持ち合わせる者がいます。
固有結界の維持には大変な熱量を要し、サーヴァントの強力な魔力を以ってしても、維持するのは長くて数分が 限度です。そして、予選で我々が過ごした学園は、聖杯がその所有者を決めるために作り出した、固有結界なの です。

The Grail selects for Wizards and/or Servants who can do Reality Marbles? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Anyway, rough work priority is as follows:

Right now I think I want to get the rest of the Servant profiles translated at the very least, and write major character biographies like Rin, Rani, Twice, etc. Casko will probably be the last to get done since I haven't even started that playthrough.

In the meantime, I've finally started CCC. Not sure if I am going to continue with the same gender-Servant combos or just go for the Gold first.

Rafflesiac
November 23rd, 2014, 02:12 PM
Gilgamesh is best for the CCC route on the second playthrough because there's no NTR, he casually hints at all sorts of plot points and I think there's also a SPACE end.

For the first playthrough I'd recommend one of the starter three.

Mcjon01
November 23rd, 2014, 02:15 PM
Although, this bit by Leo Harway is curious...

The Grail selects for Wizards and/or Servants who can do Reality Marbles? Am I interpreting this correctly?

Think it's just saying that the school was a reality marble created by the holy grail for the sake of deciding its owner.

mewarmo990
November 23rd, 2014, 02:54 PM
oh. duh.

mewarmo990
November 23rd, 2014, 09:21 PM
tiny update: translated first Q&A with Archer. It's viewable on his page (http://himawaribeam.wordpress.com/fate-extra/people/archer-player/).

11/25: second Q&A translated, just need to clean it up a bit before posting. Also some bits with Tohko and Aoko that are informative.

Trying to narrow down the bits worthy to put on the site. I think ones that touch on the difference between new and old eras (cyber/digital vs. old magic/flesh) are valuable.

Zenieth
November 25th, 2014, 10:55 PM
So archer knows Aoko and Touko?

mewarmo990
November 26th, 2014, 02:10 AM
lol wow. Tsundere Archer.
"It's not like I'm worried about you embarrassing yourself in public or anything!"

https://cdn.mediacru.sh/f8dFK2frgUaP.jpg

So archer knows Aoko and Touko?

Whatever gave you that impression?

Mcjon01
November 26th, 2014, 02:13 AM
I thought you were translating Archer Talk for a second, when you said you were doing the Q&A.

mewarmo990
November 26th, 2014, 02:16 AM
Hasn't someone already done that?

And no, just the interesting conversations with him in Extra.