PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear

Pages : [1] 2 3

terraablaze
December 10th, 2011, 07:05 PM
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/12/10/metal-gear-solid-rising-resurfaces-as-a-platinumgames-title/

....What?

Well that was...surprising. Who could have seen this coming? I mean I know Kojima wasn't working on it hands on, but considering how much he likes the character...

celsius
December 10th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I like how Raiden is completely out of character in this trailer. Are we sure this isn't just Kojima trolling again?

terraablaze
December 10th, 2011, 07:13 PM
I don't even know lol. I didn't get to Guns of the Patriots so I don't know if his character changed all that much from player identification or in what ways. He kills people though it seems, and that at least is in line with his character.

celsius
December 10th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I don't even know lol. I didn't get to Guns of the Patriots so I don't know if his character changed all that much from player identification.

In Guns of the Patriots, he was considerably more subdued and less emotive overall. Rather suicidal too.

Mcjon01
December 10th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Metal Gear's conception of cyborgs has now convinced me that the real reason there were no more Holy Grail Wars is because Servants became obsolete in the near future, and that past humans and their superiority can just bend over and take it from modern technology.

This was a lame way of saying HOLY SHIT did Raiden just grab that giant robot and start swinging it around despite being at a clear mechanical disadvantage on top of the obvious insurmountable difference in mass!? Just so we're clear.

terraablaze
December 10th, 2011, 08:28 PM
^^
Well depending on when the game takes place there will be reason for why he acts like he does.
^
Yeah I got it the first time (serious editing right there), Raiden reached and then exceeded Solidus levels of crazy. Hey look I can kill Metal Gears without heavy artillery as well! And I don't even need a sub machine gun to do it!

celsius
December 10th, 2011, 08:40 PM
^^
Well depending on when the game takes place there will be reason for why he acts like he does.
^
Yeah I got it the first time (serious editing right there), Raiden reached and then exceeded Solidus levels of crazy. Hey look I can kill Metal Gears without heavy artillery as well! And I don't even need a sub machine gun to do it!

Well it can't take place after MGS4, since he got a new, more "human-looking" body at the end. And it probably isn't before it either, since if he already has his cyborg body, that would mean that he's already suicidally depressed and angsty and "Jack is dead" at that point.

Also, who needs the Holy Grail when you have nanomachines? Nanomachines can do everything, from turning ordinary people into perfect soldier to curing cancer.

terraablaze
December 10th, 2011, 08:53 PM
I don't know man, this obviously isn't the same Metal Gear Rising (hence the title change), Metal Gear Solid Rising was much more sombre and the controls looked more controlled and deliberate. It hasn't been announced yet, so maybe they are going to release both games (doubt it).

Also, when his visor slid together it was so, how to say, Viewtiful.

Chaos Greyblood
December 11th, 2011, 04:31 AM
The answers as to how Raiden got built up as the new Cyborg Ninja (And against his will, mind you), Rising should provide the answers. You might want to have a bag with you if your have a weak stomach. I'll be willing to bet the process will be Nightmare Fuel material.

Also, fuck nanomachines! Medical science has really gone a long way in the MetalGearverse if they managed to get Raiden completely back to normal. Just check the surgical scars on this body and you'll have a good idea how the Cyborg Ninja operation went.

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I understand the complaints but here are my thoughts on them:

a)"This isn't a Metal Gear game waaaaaaah!!!!"
If you mean this isn't a sneaking mission where you can avoid killing people then no, but a developer isn't required to make every game set in an prior established setting have the same gameplay or even the same type. I like Mario platformers and I also love Luigi's Mansion, the Mario RPGs, and Yoshi's Island.
Also, we always knew this game was going to be an action game, it really feels silly to complain about that now, just don't buy the game.

b) "It's too silly and over the top! Metal Gear isn't silly or over the top!"
Not even sure how to respond to this one. Metal Gear games have always been incredibly silly. Yes, I understand they were also very serious (or tried to be anyway) but there were also a lot of juvenile poop jokes, vampires running on water, and extreme meta references. The main difference is that Metal Gear Solid games tend to throw this ridiculous crap at you with a straight face, even things that were obviously supposed to be funny like a guy pissing on you as you sneaked past. This one almost seems to be barely holding back a wink.

My main complaint is that I was kind of looking forward to the Rising game that could have been. Yeah the controls looked potentially awkward but it looked different, this just looks fun. If a game is going to break away from how it has always done things I would prefer it try to do something new and risky as opposed to something else someone has already done. But then again Platinum games, I guess I can't really blame them. Seriously when did the switch over happen?

Edit: besides just a change in developers, I think a main reason for the change in tone could be because of the gameplay. Stealth games tend to feel more quite and subdued because you are spending extended amount of time being quite and stressfully trying to get past flying super drones. So even though the gameplay sections are bookended by crazy ninjas and Revolver Ocelot there could be a sense of balance. In this game Raiden is cutting people up left and right and apparently has an excess of electrolytes flowing through his body.

I3uster
December 11th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I won't complain as long as I can 17Dissect some Metal Gears

...reminds me, I should get the HD remakes and 4 already.

Chaos Greyblood
December 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I already had MGS4 for more than 2 years and it's possible that the HD collection is in my future.

Konami, though, has craptastic balance issues when it comes to MGO. Rolling does next to nothing when you want to dodge attacks, people headshot you from far, far away and you can't even touch them without your rapid fire weapons nearly spreading all out despite having them on Level 3 and you whittle down your opponent's health by teadrops while you're OHK'd. And they don't even bother to check out these issues so that more players have a better chance to do better games.

I sort of gave up after a while not too long ago. It can get almost as bad as Modern Warfare. =/

@terrablaze: Is there word they're going to keep the plot as hinted and told on the Metal Gear Solid Database? It would feel like a slap in the face on the continuity if they don't show what happends to Raiden before and after his 'transformation', as well as Paradise Lost' involvement in helping him out.

Guy
December 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
The gameplay it's very DMC like it seems, not sure if it is a good thing though...

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 02:29 PM
@Chaos
I don't know. Maybe they decided to tell a different story, maybe not. Just from what we have seen it looks like there are hints of a Hideo Kojima script that was for the first time ever given an editing (Kojima apparently never used an editor, probably why all the spoken dialouge feels stream of consciousness). It's not like Kojima has never been deceptive about what we were going to get from a Metal Gear game (sudden Raiden reveal lololol suck it internet era). I don't know what this Metal Gear Database you speak of is so it really doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Mcjon01
December 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
The only "DLC" ever offered for MGS4. It's a giant database of MGS information for the PS3, though I'd be shocked if it isn't transcribed somewhere by now. You could censor it to hide information from MGS4 if you hadn't played it yet, but all that really did was black out 35,892 instances of the word "nanomachines".

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I find that hilarious because of Sons of Liberty.

Chaos Greyblood
December 11th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Of course, there's also the rest of the reveals about the members of the Patriots and how they got there as well as their final fates, amongst other things. There's even Ocelot having played his role as Liquid Ocelot via self-hypnosis and it was actually a little true that Liquid's spirit was on his right arm that Ocelot himself used in MGS2. You'll notice it when you fight Ocelot at the end and see his new arm. Notice that Liquid's arm had a bar code and you'll see how that played out.

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 03:50 PM
If I hadn't already been spoilered about Liquid Ocelot I would be so mad right now.

Mcjon01
December 11th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah, wasn't it that in MGS2, Liquid Ocelot was literally Liquid taking over Ocelot's body, but then at some point after that Ocelot was like "fuck that shit" and got the arm replaced? And then replaced his personality with Liquid's anyway on purpose, because crazyplots is the name of the Metal Gear game.

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 04:03 PM
I heard the self hypnosis thing was a "retcon" (in a sense but not really since I don't think we are ever specifically told by Hideo that was what was happening) of the arm takeover deal in Sons of Liberty and then it carried over to Guns of the Patriots.

Mcjon01
December 11th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I don't know, it's all very obscure and contradictory about whether or not the possession was ever "real", or if it was autosuggestion and nanomachines all along. I'm sure the fact that The Sorrow is Ocelot's father was thrown in just to tease everybody, too.

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
I have never played Snake Eater to any sufficient degree (screw you unbearable camera and no radar), but what is this I can't even. How does that work?

Mcjon01
December 11th, 2011, 04:23 PM
The Boss and The Sorrow got it on, had a baby on the battlefield, and it got kidnapped and raised by the Philosophers. That baby was Ocelot.

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I can't tell anymore whether you are joking or not. Sons of Liberty is happening right here in my room! EVERYONE YOU LOVE IS A COMPUTER!!!!

Chaos Greyblood
December 11th, 2011, 05:11 PM
*Slaps some sense into terrablaza*

Chill, dude. I know that part's hard to believe, but it's true. Ocelot is a true Son of The Boss.

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Oh know it isn't hard to believe and that's part of what makes it scary. It just also sounded a lot like a McJon01 joke.

Chaos Greyblood
December 11th, 2011, 05:33 PM
It is kinda funny that all of the members of the Cobras consider themselves the Sons of The Boss (Yes, even the awesome master sniper centugenarian), yet that one person actually was a Son of said character. Add to the fact that Ocelot was conceived by a Son of the Boss and you'll have yourself a mini-brain twister. :3

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 05:57 PM
So wait, how does he end up as a Russian soldier with a Russian accent (if badly handled with the english voiceacting) and everything?

petalferrous
December 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Kojima and Nasu: a match made in heaven? think about it

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 06:02 PM
I still want them to do something together. They met like 2 years ago. Make it happen.

Heroic Spirit Jack the Ripper (Raiden)

Chaos Greyblood
December 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
So wait, how does he end up as a Russian soldier with a Russian accent (if badly handled with the english voiceacting) and everything?

Because The Sorrow was Russian himself. East and West meet and have a son. Simple, really. :P And if you're asking me about his accent, look at your reply again and you have your answer.

Kojima and Nasu: a match made in heaven? think about it

I can actually see this happening as well. My only hope is that once it does get started, it reaches American shores.

I3uster
December 11th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I want him to finish his project with Suda first.
What happened to that?

terraablaze
December 11th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe that's that thing that could end his career if it goes badly. Who knows.

Fingolfin
December 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I still want them to do something together. They met like 2 years ago. Make it happen.

Heroic Spirit Jack the Ripper (Raiden)

Oh, God, YES! That trailer was also the corniest thing ever, and I liked it.

RE-VENGEANCE! NOW IT'S PERSONAL!

terraablaze
December 12th, 2011, 09:16 AM
That plot was scrapped when Platinum Games came on board to create Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (http://www.siliconera.com/tag/metal-gear-rising-revengeance/). The story is set after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4 where Raiden is one of many cyborgs. Raiden is sent to a developing country ravaged by civil war unaware he’s about to fight an army of cyborgs. Platinum Games also dropped the stealth elements from the original game design to make Metal Gear Rising pure action.
hohoho

I3uster
December 12th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Oh, God, YES! That trailer was also the corniest thing ever, and I liked it.

RE-VENGEANCE! NOW IT'S PERSONAL!
Wait for the sequel:
METAL GEAR SOLID RISING 2: XTREME REVENGEANCE *title explodes*

Five_X
December 12th, 2011, 12:30 PM
"Revengeance" is an actual word, IIRC. I believe it's used a few times in Hamlet.

I3uster
December 12th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Seriously?

terraablaze
December 12th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Yep. Also a word used in heavy metal it seems, not that that alone would have helped Platinum Games case. Someone needs to start spamming 4chan with this information. All those people making fun of the name are going to be shut down hard WITH FACTS!

Five_X
December 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Hell yeah facts!

terraablaze
December 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Apparently the Solid Rising was quietly canceled because it had no core game play and the visuals were so complicated the team couldn't get it past 30 frames per second (while not a FPS or fighting game fiend, I have to admit that sounds pretty terrible). Then Platinum Games expressed interest and it was handed to them to work with what had already been created. It was roughly "half done" (literally half? seems unlikely) when they got it.

Fingolfin
December 12th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Truthfully though, I have a bad feeling about this revamp. It seems so...not Metal Gear. It is like they threw out all the seriousness (well, what little seriousness the original Metal Gear series had) and replaced it with explosions and more crazy awesome. This may not end well, or maybe it will. Change isn't always a bad thing. Then again, some changes can be very bad. I hope I'm not jinxing it.

ItsaRandomUsername
December 13th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Gear May Cry.

RoadBuster
December 13th, 2011, 01:24 AM
There's a reason it looks like DMC... since Platinum Games is working on it, after all. And seriously, I've been a huge Metal Gear fan since way before Solid, and I really have no problem with this game. It's not a numbered Metal Gear and for those who think Raiden's out of character... Why not just mesh the goofy guy from 2 and the barely conscious guy from 4 and see what you come up with.

In the end, it may end up being silly, but it still looks like a truckload of fun to me.

ItsaRandomUsername
December 13th, 2011, 03:20 AM
...regardless of direction, I'm with RB on this one - I still want to play Rising.

terraablaze
December 13th, 2011, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1qL_IFyyqX0

Check that extended Metal Gear RAY fight.

Also lol hiding in boxes at the end.

Edit:

Hideo Kojima was hanging around Twitter after his press conference today to talk a little bit more about Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (http://www.destructoid.com/metal-gear-rising-renamed-now-developed-by-platinum-217636.phtml) and the future of the franchise. Kojima clarified that Metal Gear Rising (http://www.destructoid.com/kojima-debuts-metal-gear-rising-trailer-at-spike-vgas-217664.phtml) was always intended to be a spin-off series and intimated that their original vision is not too far off from where Platinum Games is now taking it.
More importantly, Kojima asked that fans who want an "authentic stealth MGS" to patiently wait for "the sequel coming in the future." So, it's not exactly confirmation of Metal Gear Solid 5 (http://www.destructoid.com/metal-gear-solid-5-is-not-confirmed-yet-216305.phtml) per se, but it is a confirmation of a new Metal Gear Solid title. Take that as you will.

I3uster
December 13th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Why does he milk this franchise even harder? I thought he wanted to end it with 4?

terraablaze
December 13th, 2011, 01:03 PM
He feels he is obligated to. Suda 51 talked about it as well.

Kojima Productions is the producer of Revengeance. KP created the story for the game, managed the cutscenes and voice work. Metal Gear Solid artist Yoji Shinkawa did the character design work.
Platinum Games, the developer, is on game design and programming, working under the supervision of Kojima Productions.
As you'd guess, Hideo Kojima is the Executive Producer, but MGS series vet Yuji Korekado will oversee the project for KP, working alongside Platinum's Atsushi Inaba.
Along with these new details comes the first screenshots from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, shown in our gallery below.

I3uster
December 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Suda talked to him about continuing or ending it? I don't understand.

terraablaze
December 13th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Suda 51 mentioned that Hideo Kojima felt obligated to continue the series, it was in reference to if he would end up making more No More Heroes games. These developers are all buddies from what I understand.

I3uster
December 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Yeah, he and Kojima are best buddies or something.
Both are game developers, have this auteur approach of creating games and are crazy.

Although I prefer the Suda crazy. He's probably my favorite developer.

Fingolfin
December 13th, 2011, 02:10 PM
There's a reason it looks like DMC... since Platinum Games is working on it, after all. And seriously, I've been a huge Metal Gear fan since way before Solid, and I really have no problem with this game. It's not a numbered Metal Gear and for those who think Raiden's out of character... Why not just mesh the goofy guy from 2 and the barely conscious guy from 4 and see what you come up with.

In the end, it may end up being silly, but it still looks like a truckload of fun to me.

Agreed. I just hope they don't derail the characters too much.

terraablaze
December 13th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Speaking of Suda 51 I get serious No More Heroes vibes from this game. And yeah I won't be making judgments about Raiden's in-charcterness until we see more of the game.

Chaos Greyblood
December 13th, 2011, 02:22 PM
And just remember that Quinton Flynn was Henry in NMH.

terraablaze
December 13th, 2011, 04:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iBokJzlCMsc

This game excites me in case you can't tell. Probably should calm down.

Fingolfin
December 13th, 2011, 08:17 PM
No, it's fine. Everyone has the right to be excited about a game they like. Why, I myself burst into tears whenever I hear that a new Marvel VS. Capcom game is going to be made. That series makes me feel so nostalgic.

celsius
December 13th, 2011, 08:20 PM
This is a terrible trailer for a Metal Gear game. Not enough focusing on buttocks.

RoadBuster
December 14th, 2011, 01:56 AM
An interview with Kojima and crew about how all this came to be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV1BMUg4NsA

ItsaRandomUsername
December 14th, 2011, 05:30 AM
At first, I was a little wary after hearing that Rising is to take place after MGS4. But then I thought to myself, "What would it take to completely flip Raiden's shit like this?"

...the answer came instantly.

RoadBuster
December 14th, 2011, 05:33 AM
No mention of Rose whatsoever does raise a few worries.

Chaos Greyblood
December 14th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Uh oh.

Five_X
December 14th, 2011, 01:20 PM
She's busy with Campbell or something.

terraablaze
December 14th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Apparently one of the ideas for Metal Gear Solid 5 centered around The Boss invading Normandy. A female main character? In my Metal Gear?

ItsaRandomUsername
December 14th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Actually, I'd be really interested in seeing how WWII is handled in the MG-verse. Wonder how you could make a full game out of The Boss' adventures, though.

squall06
December 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5961/1323889293328.jpg

(http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/1323889293328.jpg/)Oh Shit

Five_X
December 14th, 2011, 03:27 PM
ohmigod it's a METAL GEAR! GEAR!

ItsaRandomUsername
December 14th, 2011, 03:32 PM
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5961/1323889293328.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/1323889293328.jpg/)

Oh... fucknuggets?

Assuming it is who we think it is...

terraablaze
December 14th, 2011, 09:36 PM
I am going to bet this guy is supposed to be Olga's son or something. So we can have maximum drama when they fight.

RoadBuster
December 15th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Damn, IRUN... Are you thinking it's Vamp, then?

Mcjon01
December 15th, 2011, 02:01 AM
I don't remember Vamp looking like a preset from Monster Hunter.

Fingolfin
December 15th, 2011, 02:01 AM
So, vamp came back from the dead again? And now he's a cyborg? I can work with that. In fact, that would be fucking awesome. Cyborg Vampire to the rescue!

Cirex101
December 15th, 2011, 02:59 AM
I don't think that's Vamp. While they have the same hairstyle and beard, this character is not pale, and he's using a sword instead of Vamp's trademark knives. He's not creepy enough.
WMG time. That guy is one of Raiden's comrades from his time as a child soldier.

RoadBuster
December 15th, 2011, 03:03 AM
We're more looking at the scar in the middle of his forehead.

ItsaRandomUsername
December 15th, 2011, 03:16 AM
Damn, IRUN... Are you thinking it's Vamp, then?

I don't know what to think anymore, RB.

I just don't know.

Still, that would be a twist most excellent.

terraablaze
February 22nd, 2012, 11:14 AM
Apparently a new Metal Gear Solid game for "high end consoles and PCs" is in the works and the only clue is this CLASSIFIED image:
http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/character_thumb.jpg

Edit: also this one
http://storage.siliconera.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/bigboss_thumb.jpg

petalferrous
February 22nd, 2012, 01:46 PM
METAL GEAR SOLID 5?!
Come on Kojima!
...yes, i know its not happening :(
You know what would be cool if it's another game starring Big Boss? Playing the original Metal Gear from his perspective.

Chaos Greyblood
February 22nd, 2012, 02:29 PM
It would be kinda like one of those games on Facebook: Managing soldiers, setting up and shoring up defenses, buying weapons, get powerful mercenaries and try to stop Solid Snake.

Really, Big Boss was watching things while sitting on his keester until Snake destroys Metal Gear and the countdown gets started, so that's kind of a waste. If it was an event that made the Outer Heaven Revolt happen or forced Big Boss to make it happen, that one's more doable.

Also, the 'Big Boss wants you' poster is a basically a roll call for future game creators, artists and all that can help with the games. I saw this on Facebook.

terraablaze
February 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM
I know but I thought it was cool because "development without borders" is a nice reference to Big Boss's goal.

Chaos Greyblood
February 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Though I can't help but wonder... now we're going literal with the hounds. It seems that they put the Hound in Fox-Hound.

terraablaze
February 22nd, 2012, 02:36 PM
WMG: That dog's codename will be Fox-Hound.

Five_X
February 22nd, 2012, 03:08 PM
Nothin' but a hound dog.

terraablaze
February 23rd, 2012, 10:02 PM
Don't want to make a new thread until we know the name but apparently Kojima, Suda 51, and Chiyomaru Shikura (some guy who wrote Steins;Gate?) are collaborating on something.

ItsaRandomUsername
February 23rd, 2012, 10:12 PM
That sounds wicked awesome right from the get-go.

16-bit Irony
February 23rd, 2012, 11:13 PM
I'm really can't wait to hear/see more on this "Metal Gear Solid 5" looks something Big Boss related with just the two pics we were given. i thing i want to know more about is that Diamond Dog emblem on big boss's sholder wonder if its pre-foxhound or something

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5961/1323889293328.jpg

(http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/12/1323889293328.jpg/)Oh Shit

I'm really scared with this Metal gear Rising. Whats ninja gaiden gameplay doing in Metal Gear?

terraablaze
April 25th, 2012, 08:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=paUIfhjSUx0

It's a thing.

Five_X
April 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Silly Raiden.

He was better as a top-down aerial shooter.

ItsaRandomUsername
April 25th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I hate teasers soooo much.

They're always so damn vague and don't give anything satisfactory.

Of course, if they did, then they wouldn't be teasers now would they?

terraablaze
April 25th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Well apparently we're getting more news of some sort in less then a week so at least you won't have to wait long.

terraablaze
April 30th, 2012, 05:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=deoifD7rYks

Not really news but at least it's more satisfying. Longer version of previous teaser.

Edit: the metal gear rising site by the way is having some weird event where you are supposed to "speed up the decryption" of the next video by spreading the current one around on the internet. In case anyone cares about anything like that. Try plugging the binary in the sidebar into a binary translator while you're at it.

terraablaze
May 4th, 2012, 02:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E5hU6hQsA_M

It's kind of weird how they went from the Revengeance announcement trailers crazy happy fun times to, this. Wonder what's going on with the story.

terraablaze
May 9th, 2012, 03:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yeX55kZH9yE

It's like playing Sons of Liberty if Sons of Liberty made references to actual modern day politics. And if Sons of Liberty spat in the face of one of it's core tenets.

Controlling information no longer matters? I wonder what Kojima is doing now, smells like he's changed his mind about some things.

terraablaze
May 17th, 2012, 08:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=njZNPSwJBV0

Probably NSFW. Jack learns about the fun of killing people with blades.

Chaos Greyblood
May 17th, 2012, 11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yeX55kZH9yE

It's like playing Sons of Liberty if Sons of Liberty made references to actual modern day politics. And if Sons of Liberty spat in the face of one of it's core tenets.

Controlling information no longer matters? I wonder what Kojima is doing now, smells like he's changed his mind about some things.

As I see it, I smell a maverick that wants to try and shove the Patriots' policies up their collective cybernetic binary plagued cornholes.

terraablaze
May 23rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4lkq8uIg-8&feature=player_embedded

I am such a whore for this game.
I like the idea that they put the effort into adding realistic whites to the eyes but didn't bother keeping the red light from shining through.

terraablaze
June 1st, 2012, 06:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2ONT6-8B94Y

Looks like fun, now to wait to see how many people say it's fun to play as well.

Lancelot
June 1st, 2012, 09:08 AM
Doesn't looks like metal gear, but it sures looks fun.

Mcjon01
June 1st, 2012, 09:13 AM
Fuck I wanna play it now.

As in, right now.

terraablaze
June 1st, 2012, 09:22 AM
This is the part where I start going in depth about the why I liked it because everyone online appreciates that kind of thing by default right?

DID YOU SEE THE PART WHERE HE JUMPED FROM MISSILE TO MISSILE TO CUT UP THAT HELICOPTER!!!

Oh yeah, and it looks like there might be substantial stealth portions (as opposed to token stealth portions which are still on the table for the pessimist in me). AND THEN HE CUT THAT GUY THROUGH A PILLAR!!

I3uster
June 1st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Raiden, what are you doing, you aren't supposed to be awesome.

terraablaze
June 1st, 2012, 09:31 AM
Raiden has always been awesome. It's just only people like me who played Sons of Liberty as their first Metal Gear Solid game could see it before.

I will admit it took me a while to "get" why they used the song "Wrong" in the trailer.

Lancelot
June 1st, 2012, 09:37 AM
DID YOU SEE THE PART WHERE HE JUMPED FROM MISSILE TO MISSILE TO CUT UP THAT HELICOPTER!!!

Cool shit right there, and we will be able to cut in any fashion we want to *woot*

ItsaRandomUsername
June 1st, 2012, 10:58 AM
Hey, I always thought Raiden was cool too. The haters can blow it out their butt.

Lancelot
June 1st, 2012, 01:14 PM
Raiden was cool, now he is awesome.

HitokiriNanaya
June 1st, 2012, 01:46 PM
I liked Raiden before he was cool

amIdoingitright?

Lancelot
June 1st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Yes almost right, you just need to add an ripster image and your comment will earn some internetz.

Bolfotha
June 1st, 2012, 10:33 PM
Gekkos are back

and they still mooooooooooo

terraablaze
June 2nd, 2012, 06:50 AM
I liked Raiden before he was cool

amIdoingitright?

No, I find it unlikely you knew of Raiden before Kojima did, so therefore you must be lying to me. How dare you my good sir.

squall06
June 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/02/konami-and-platinumgames-talk-metal-gear-rising-revengeance/

A video with more gameplay 9:15 limbs everywhere

I3uster
June 3rd, 2012, 08:45 PM
Release probability in Germany: Zero.

ItsaRandomUsername
June 3rd, 2012, 10:45 PM
LaughingOctopus.JPG

I3uster
June 4th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Maybe Konami prepared for this, and pulled a Soldier of Fortune 2, replacing everyone with robots :V

Mcjon01
June 4th, 2012, 06:06 AM
I thought they already said all the enemies would be "cyborgs" in order to duck censorship laws. Or was that from the old version of the game? I don't know, Wikipedia had the info all mixed up last time I checked.

I3uster
June 4th, 2012, 06:09 AM
It's still blood and limbs every. Germany would probably get sparks and cables.

Not that this affects me, since I live in glorious Austria and we don't get their shitty censorship in most cases.

Lancelot
June 4th, 2012, 12:33 PM
It's still blood and limbs every. Germany would probably get sparks and cables.

Not that this affects me, since I live in glorious Austria and we don't get their shitty censorship in most cases.

What? What's Germany problem with blood and limbs o.o?

terraablaze
August 15th, 2012, 07:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1CU687VjXWo
Technically a new trailer, go to 3:18 for the new stuff.

terraablaze
August 30th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Next Metal Gear game is Metal Gear Soild: Ground Zero. Something something open world something Fox Engine. Probably starring Big Boss again (I think at this point Naked Snake may have starred in more games then Solid Snake).

Metal Gear Soild film adaptation also a thing it seems.

Rue
August 30th, 2012, 07:33 AM
I think at this point Naked Snake may have starred in more games then Solid Snake.
Does the older console & remake games count or all the non canon stuff void?

Metal Gear Soild film adaptation also a thing it seems.
Wha...? Huh. Hmmm, if it's like the Bourne movies with more CQC, clones, robots, cyborgs & conspiracies...it might just be entertaining enough. Maybe it will just be a side story or something.

Mcjon01
August 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM
More CQC than a Bourne movie? :O

You don't want them to leave any room for plot or dialog at all?

terraablaze
August 30th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I think making it like the Bourne movies "with more" might be an absolutely terrible idea. The Bourne movies' attempts at gritty realism but still trying to keep all the over the top fun of a James Bond flick doesn't work now and it probably won't work with Metal Gear.

And the producer is some Marvel CEO who produces a bunch of the different Marvel flims so I'm going to guess that's not happening.

Mcjon01
August 30th, 2012, 07:53 AM
I didn't catch any attempts at over the top fun from the Bourne movies. From what I remember, they were pretty much "Shaky-cam CQC: The Movie: Jason Bourne Is Better Than You Edition".

But then, I only have clear memories of the third movie.

terraablaze
August 30th, 2012, 08:15 AM
It's what I've heard from people who know more about movies then me. The Bourne movies were an attempt at making a movie with all the spy action people loved without any of that "silly" stuff from the James Bond and Austin Powers like gadgets and personality. Because audiences clearly HATED those things.

Chaos Greyblood
August 30th, 2012, 03:27 PM
I would think that the Bourne trilogy was the best one for Matt Damon rather than the Ocean's Eleven trilogy.

Lancelot
August 30th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I liked Bond's cars and its gadjets...

Lancelot
August 31st, 2012, 12:33 PM
Bale for snake!

http://i.imgur.com/h7Y8h.jpg

Mcjon01
August 31st, 2012, 01:07 PM
No, we must pull 1980s Kurt Russell from the time stream! If we use Bale he'll just use his stupid Batman voice the entire movie!

Five_X
August 31st, 2012, 01:45 PM
If we use Bale he'll just use his stupid Batman voice the entire movie!

So basically he'll be Snake.

Mcjon01
August 31st, 2012, 01:50 PM
Oh, that's low.

terraablaze
September 2nd, 2012, 07:42 AM
He needs to articulate a bit more though. More smokers voice and less "I think this will disguise my voice to people who know me".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=L5IVOs5Pxh8

Last bit looks to be in game footage.

Lancelot
September 2nd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Ah this ground zero trailer, I saw it yesterday. It seems good, but I wonder how will the plot be.

terraablaze
September 20th, 2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htSmSUaWtBE&feature=player_embedded I suppose I should have stopped when I saw how far it got into the game but whatever, will still probably be fun to play. Anyone feel like telling me what's happening here?

Mcjon01
September 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM
99% Raiden going on about his Life-saving Sword, and the bad guys being all "lol u sux, b a 133t killa".

terraablaze
September 20th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Your summaries are sometimes superior to any blow by blow translation.

terraablaze
September 29th, 2012, 11:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=YeK9ZG7mc1w
But now in English.

2Bad
October 8th, 2012, 05:25 PM
So I might be getting the HD collection soon. Is anyone interested in some Peace Walker online?

2Bad
October 10th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Pupa fight
Hahaha people were not kidding when they said the boss fights weren't balanced for single player

RoadBuster
November 1st, 2012, 12:20 AM
Demo for Revengence is freaking incredible... I cannot wait!

2Bad
November 1st, 2012, 05:03 PM
I should get back to Peace Walker, but I've been playing Demon Souls and doing other shit. Also I suspect I'll never beat the electro torture even if I do go back to it, shit hurts my fingers.

Fingolfin
November 26th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Definitely buying Metal Gear Rising now. Before I had my doubts after the changes but now it looks really promising.

Apple
December 8th, 2012, 10:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVFyYqfNSVg

Jizzing all over the place

KENTA
December 8th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I dislike this series. But holy fuck that game looks so fun.

I3uster
December 8th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Mind telling us why?

I always found the gameplay to be pretty solid (har har) for a stealth series.

The story can be derp as fuck, especially 50 hours of cutscenes: the game, but hey, when it doesn't derp it's a pretty nice one imo.

2Bad
December 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
MGS3 is one of the best games of all time, but the series varies. MGS1 is good, but then 2 and 4 are terrible, while Peace Walker is just okay.

Revengeance is Cyborg Raiden (who, lest we forget, is worse than regular Raiden) the game and is thus probably bad because Platinum are just good devs, not fucking sorcerers.

I3uster
December 8th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Haha, nothing is worse than regular Raiden.

At least he's a cyborg bitch, not just a regular bitch! That's like a 10% improvement right there.

2Bad
December 8th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Haha, nothing is worse than regular Raiden.

At least he's a cyborg bitch, not just a regular bitch! That's like a 10% improvement right there.

It's called overcorrecting. "YOU NO LOVE RAIDEN? OKAY, NOW HE DANCING CYBORG NINJA, HE HAS GRUFF VOICE AND KILLS ROBOTS THAT EVEN SNAKE CAN'T FIGHT, OF COURSE YOU LOVE HIM NOW!" It's Kojima trying way too hard.

Five_X
December 8th, 2012, 12:52 PM
But Raiden represents the silly game audience, so by calling him a bitch, in reality, you are the bitch.

A cyborg bitch.

2Bad
December 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
But Raiden represents the silly game audience, so by calling him a bitch, in reality, you are the bitch.

A cyborg bitch.

Raiden doesn't represent the game audience because the audience can understand when a woman is repeatedly and obviously hinting at an anniversary. Also we wouldn't put up with someone who thought that King Kong climbed the Chrysler Building.

Mcjon01
December 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
MGS3 is one of the best games of all time, but the series varies. MGS1 is good, but then 2 and 4 are terrible, while Peace Walker is just okay.

Revengeance is Cyborg Raiden (who, lest we forget, is worse than regular Raiden) the game and is thus probably bad because Platinum are just good devs, not fucking sorcerers.

Nah, I've been keeping up with the trailers and I'm pretty sure they're fucking sorcerers.

I3uster
December 8th, 2012, 12:55 PM
It's called overcorrecting. "YOU NO LOVE RAIDEN? OKAY, NOW HE DANCING CYBORG NINJA, HE HAS GRUFF VOICE AND KILLS ROBOTS THAT EVEN SNAKE CAN'T FIGHT, OF COURSE YOU LOVE HIM NOW!" It's Kojima trying way too hard.

I love trying too hard, it allows me to fight Metal Gears with a HF Blade that has been folded 10000 times.
It's not like you could ever take MGS seriously in the first place, much less Raiden, so having fun with him is something I can approve of.

terraablaze
December 8th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Feels weird being one of the few fans of Raiden from before he was a cyborg.

....But not as weird as this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-12-08/phantom-pain-trailer-linked-to-kojima-metal-gear-solid

What

KENTA
December 8th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Mind telling us why?

I always found the gameplay to be pretty solid (har har) for a stealth series.

The story can be derp as fuck, especially 50 hours of cutscenes: the game, but hey, when it doesn't derp it's a pretty nice one imo.

Hate the story, hate the gameplay, hate the fanbase.

Five_X
December 8th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Ooh, he mad.

KENTA
December 8th, 2012, 10:29 PM
I wasn't, but now I kind of am. Just because people use "U mad" when someone clearly isn't. If I went into obscene levels of detail about how I loathe every second of every game in the MGS series and how I wish to see the most horrific things happen to the fanbase, that would be mad. This is me saying I don't like a series.

Know the difference kids.

Mcjon01
December 9th, 2012, 12:50 AM
This is me saying I don't like a series.

You don't even like Metal Gear Spinach? Fucking spider lover.

KENTA
December 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM
I once took too much Benadryl and thought my skin was infested with spiders.

I avoid things involving spiders now.

Fingolfin
December 10th, 2012, 11:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=O4hL4g4TAkg

Raiden, el mexicano.

KENTA
December 10th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Waaaaaaaaant

Fingolfin
December 10th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I think there's a box with a sombrero on it that you can use to disguise yourself.

No joke.

http://i.minus.com/iHsXtKjRfW6AW.gif

Verg Avesta
December 30th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Feels weird being one of the few fans of Raiden from before he was a cyborg.

....But not as weird as this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-12-08/phantom-pain-trailer-linked-to-kojima-metal-gear-solid

What

LOTS OF SPECULATIONS FOR EVERYONE

Gundam Meister
January 18th, 2013, 05:50 PM
Here the latest trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z-0zp5wnZ0

terraablaze
January 18th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yeah, haven't really been posting them because I haven't been watching them because at this point I feel I've been convinced enough and anything I see now will just cheapen the experince for me. I think there should be one or two more that haven't been posted here.

warellis
January 25th, 2013, 02:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Wd0RJkE-ujs

Apple
January 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDhMv5jnPvQ

Also, I just played the demo. Blade mode is legendary.

ItsaRandomUsername
January 31st, 2013, 03:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H3BiF_BJdw

warellis
February 1st, 2013, 02:00 AM
So is there a no-kill possibility against enemies, like in all other MGS games?

RoadBuster
February 1st, 2013, 04:30 AM
Nope, lol. At least there wasn't in the demo.

Strife ❤️
February 1st, 2013, 06:34 PM
Nope, but it isn't MGS :p

I just completed the demo. I was skeptical before I started but I actually really enjoyed it.

terraablaze
February 1st, 2013, 07:46 PM
Why would you want a "no-kill" option in a game about cutting things? What would the qualitative difference even be between "lethally" taking someone out in a Platinum Games action game and doing the exact same thing with an electric "stun sword"?

And yeah, everyone I know who was unsure or just cool to the games allure seem to have warmed up pretty fast after the demo, especially after being disappointed by DmC: Devil May Cry (that is such a stupid title, everything else about the game aside).

RoadBuster
February 2nd, 2013, 04:41 AM
Nope, but it isn't MGS :p

I just completed the demo. I was skeptical before I started but I actually really enjoyed it.

This. All I had to do was play that demo that came with ZoE:HD (which is the same that's available widely now), and I was sold. Any doubts I had were eradicated by it.

Laith
February 7th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Sunny Emmerich on Revengeance

http://i.imgur.com/QHL2Ed8.jpg

2Bad
February 7th, 2013, 07:22 PM
At some point I got it into my head that the subtitle was "Lightning Cyborg Action" and then was disappointed when I saw the actual subtitle.

I still don't trust this game until it comes out and we know the full package. I love Platinum but Robo-Raiden was worse than regular Raiden.

Bittersweet
February 9th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Oh lol.
http://i.imgur.com/w4DCD0E.jpg

warellis
February 22nd, 2013, 03:17 AM
So how's the game since it's been two days since it came out?

RoadBuster
February 22nd, 2013, 05:28 AM
Fan-fucking-tastic.

Almost erases my bitterness for RE6, lol.

Strife ❤️
February 22nd, 2013, 11:29 AM
I bought it a few minutes ago on the way home so I'm about to give it a a go :D

Strife ❤️
February 23rd, 2013, 08:03 AM
Well I had intended to complete it in one sitting but got too tired near the end and ended up ragequitting.

It's brilliant though, I was surprised to see stuff like running along mid-air missiles is actually gameplay and not a cutscene :p

Some parts frustrate the hell out of me though, like those really strong gorilla type enemies in the stealth sections...

RoadBuster
February 23rd, 2013, 08:07 AM
The LE also makes a nice centerpiece, lol

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2yl00vm.jpg

Well I had intended to complete it in one sitting but got too tired near the end and ended up ragequitting.

It's brilliant though, I was surprised to see stuff like running along mid-air missiles is actually gameplay and not a cutscene :p

Some parts frustrate the hell out of me though, like those really strong gorilla type enemies in the stealth sections...

Definitely!

Also, for the gorillas, if you do get caught and have to fight them, that grab of theirs can be easily avoided with the 'dodge' move that's purchasable. You hit [] and X together to lunge out of the way. Anything that has a Yellow crosshair instead of a red one is meant to be dodged rather than parried.

Strife ❤️
February 23rd, 2013, 08:01 PM
Ah, I'll give it a go. Cool setup you've got there :)

terraablaze
February 23rd, 2013, 08:17 PM
It seems when Kojima mentioned that one project way back that might be so controversial it could ruin him, he was talking about Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes. he plans on tackling some heavy topics it seems.

RoadBuster
February 25th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Ah, I'll give it a go. Cool setup you've got there :)

Thanks! Lol, all it needs is your badass Rex, yeah??

Petrikow
March 4th, 2013, 02:59 PM
Finished Metal Gear Rising today. Pretty hard game to be fair. Especially the last boss, made worse by the fact that I had no healing items left at that point.

This images summarises my feelings about the game.

http://i.imgur.com/9rPiLCo.png

ChiakiKakumei
March 4th, 2013, 08:09 PM
so who's the best final boss in MG-verse for story or challenge.

To Petrikow: Try VH or Revengeance. I heard it's bullshit.

RoadBuster
March 5th, 2013, 04:53 AM
The Boss and The Boss.

Strife ❤️
March 5th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Real HF Blade? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7RDzFLfhj4

ChiakiKakumei
March 5th, 2013, 11:48 PM
The Boss and The Boss.

Is Armstrong not that hard?

and I found something interesting.

MGS = Snake
MGR = Raiden

If you guys get it.

Strife ❤️
March 27th, 2013, 02:39 PM
So Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are both the same game

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain

Laith
March 27th, 2013, 03:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEuJ2q3uBYI

Kojima you can stop, is ok now, let metal gear go

Mattias
March 27th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Wow, so they finally admitted it was a new Metal Gear? That took a while. So is that Big Boss as the MC, or maybe pre-president Solidus?

Laith
March 27th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Big Boss. Kaz was the other guy, since it's both Phantom Pain and Ground Zero (it was called I think?) combined to make MGSV

terraablaze
March 27th, 2013, 05:57 PM
I knew it was too much to hold out for the possibility we were playing as some other character. Naked Snake already has 3 games already. Can we please play as Liquid, Solidus, or perhaps *GASP* a completely new character!?!

Mcjon01
March 27th, 2013, 06:10 PM
I knew it was too much to hold out for the possibility we were playing as some other character. Naked Snake already has 3 games already. Can we please play as Liquid, Solidus, or perhaps *GASP* a completely new character!?!

I'm suspicious of the part at the beginning where they resuscitate Snake and then say he's in a coma and then Kiefer Sutherland is all "What about him?" and the camera zooms back and for a split second you can see that we were watching the entire scene out of the eyes of somebody on a third gurney but then it cuts to the next scene just as the doctor starts to turn around.

Very suspicious.

terraablaze
March 27th, 2013, 06:13 PM
That's kind of what I hope for with the whole "two phantoms" thing. Maybe this is another Sons of Liberty. Please be another Sons of Liberty I don't care what people thought of it then.

Bloble
March 27th, 2013, 06:21 PM
I want to hate this. I want to say it's shit and that it'll never work, and that Kojima's mad for trying.

But then I hear him say it.

We are not your kind of people.

That fucking trailer, man. That fucking trailer.

I3uster
March 27th, 2013, 06:39 PM
Just what I expected of an MGS trailer. Burning flying unicorns.

terraablaze
March 27th, 2013, 06:44 PM
Considering the constant comments on burning unicorns and whales throughout the internet, I guess a lot of people missed the original "totally not Metal Gear, what do you mean the studio is fake, I see no Fox Engine logo in the corner" Phantom Pain trailer.

As for the song, it feels like they are attempting to replicate the effect Depeche Mode's Wrong had for the Metal Gear Rising Revengeance trailer (you know, the big one that came out after it became Revengeance).

Edit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PisJDUCdPqI
saw this elsewhere

Why is the guy who was supposedly watching you for 9 years still need bandages?

Mattias
March 27th, 2013, 07:47 PM
vid

I remember seeing that and thinking it was some trippy "What Is Reality" game, and they were starting a new series. I should have known they wouldn't abandon the MGS cash-cow...

btw, anyone catch the image of the tall guy with the burns/skeleton face in the new trailer, and start thinking maybe Volgin survived the Shagohad explosion?

celsius
March 27th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I think the most surprising part of this whole thing was that apparently, David Hayter isn't returning to voice Big Boss.

ZidanReign
March 27th, 2013, 09:07 PM
David Hayter isn't returning to voice

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻)

IhaxlikeNoob
March 27th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Wait... WHAT!?

I3uster
March 27th, 2013, 09:11 PM
Well, he's older and if they are going to get into the original Metal Gear storylines (they totally will) they will need two different VAs or you have Hayter talking to Hayter.

celsius
March 27th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Oh wait, no.

Thinking about it, this might not be Big Boss after all.

It might just be another clone or something. It's not like all the Snakes had the same voice. Liquid and Solidus didn't.

... I mean, for starters, he looks significantly younger than the Big Boss in the Ground Zeroes trailer.

Also, you can seem some classic Kojima misdirection here. We heard Big Boss's Japanese voice in the Ground Zeroes trailer, but here it's nothing but English. In other words, we have yet to hear the pre-time-skip Big Boss's English voice, nor have we heard the post-timeskip guy's Japanese voice.

IhaxlikeNoob
March 27th, 2013, 09:13 PM
@I3uster But they're clones!

Five_X
March 27th, 2013, 09:15 PM
No David Hayter?

RUINED FOREVER.

I3uster
March 27th, 2013, 09:16 PM
It's not like the had Hayter voice Big Boss in MGS4 either :V

Mcjon01
March 27th, 2013, 09:21 PM
I think the most surprising part of this whole thing was that apparently, David Hayter isn't returning to voice Big Boss.

He said he won't be voicing Snake, and that they hadn't approached him about it. Given all the shenanigans that Kojima has been pulling and that Moby Dick nonsense, I'm not taking any of that at face value until I see cast lists. In the credits of the game itself. There's probably some kind of bullshit trick they're pulling, like "Oh, yeah, he's Big Boss now and not Snake, and the reason the guy in the trailers sounds different is because he's just some mental patient with a mullet and an eyepatch that thinks he's Big Boss."

ChiakiKakumei
March 27th, 2013, 09:25 PM

Don't we have Raiden already? In MGR:R.

celsius
March 27th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Oh wait, no.

Thinking about it, this might not be Big Boss after all.

It might just be another clone or something. It's not like all the Snakes had the same voice. Liquid and Solidus didn't. Or it could just be a completely different guy altogether.

... I mean, for starters, he looks significantly younger than the Big Boss in the Ground Zeroes trailer.

Also, you can seem some classic Kojima misdirection here. We heard Big Boss's Japanese voice in the Ground Zeroes trailer, but here it's nothing but English. In other words, we have yet to hear the pre-time-skip Big Boss's English voice, nor have we heard the post-timeskip guy's Japanese voice.

:|

IhaxlikeNoob
March 27th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Don't we have Raiden already? In MGR:R.
New character, Raiden doesn't count.

Five_X
March 27th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Maybe it's revealed in this game that all the events of the entire series were a lie, and Big Boss is just a Vietnam War vet who dreamed it all during his coma. The order that the games came out, not their chronological order, is the order in which he dreamed of them, and now he's finally waking up from his coma to find that the reality he'd constructed for himself is far from the truth...

...which, in a self-fulfilling prophecy kind of way, directly makes the events of the chronologically later games actually occur.

ZidanReign
March 27th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Stop with your conspiracy theories woman

celsius
March 27th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Huh. Come to think of it, didn't Kojima say that the "prologue" takes place shortly after the events of Peace Walker? Peace Walker took place in 1974. That would mean MGSV takes place in the 1980s. The Les Enfants Terribles project should have already been completed. In fact, that's approximately the same timeframe Solidus kills Raiden's parents and adopts him.

ChiakiKakumei
March 27th, 2013, 09:47 PM
Solidus kills Raiden .

What?

ZidanReign
March 27th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Solidus kills Raiden and adopts him.

This sentence makes no sense.

So Solidus kills Raiden and then adopts his dead body?

celsius
March 27th, 2013, 09:49 PM
It was a typo. I obviously meant his parents. Stop being so mean. :|

ZidanReign
March 27th, 2013, 09:53 PM
It was a typo. I obviously meant his parents. Stop being so mean. :|

I'm not mean.

I'm just passively aggressive

celsius
March 27th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Your mother's passive aggressive.

ZidanReign
March 27th, 2013, 10:11 PM
You're so mean....

But I'm okay with that

Mattias
March 27th, 2013, 10:44 PM
But the age thing shouldn't really matter, as Hayter voiced Snake in MGS1&2 when he's young(ish), and MGS4 when he's Grandpa Beatdown.

terraablaze
March 27th, 2013, 10:45 PM
It's not the age of the characters so much as his age. People's voices change as they get older, I don't know how old he is but his voice should start to get higher pitched soon which doesn't really fit any version of Snake we've seen.

Mcjon01
March 27th, 2013, 11:15 PM
He's 44. And I don't think he's gone through Reverse Puberty in the last three years. In fact, I don't think that's actually a thing at all!

Theocrass
March 27th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Explain Metal Gear to a non-fan in five sentences or less.

Mcjon01
March 27th, 2013, 11:20 PM

http://i49.tinypic.com/wr0tiw.gif

Done.

I3uster
March 27th, 2013, 11:21 PM
It's about nanomachines and male ass. Also when the movie stops you have to sneak around for a bit.

Theocrass
March 27th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Is Revengeance worth buying?

Mcjon01
March 27th, 2013, 11:37 PM
It's about nanomachines and male ass. Also when the movie stops you have to sneak around for a bit.

Version 2:

http://i45.tinypic.com/10om97d.jpg

I3uster
March 27th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Is Revengeance worth buying?

Look at a trailer.
If you don't have an erection yet, look at the Excelsus fight, but warning, spoilers.
If you still don't have an erection, check your pulse and contact your doctor.

celsius
March 27th, 2013, 11:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KdLxnd2LxQ

I3uster
March 27th, 2013, 11:54 PM
Needs more dubstep and blinking text.

terraablaze
March 28th, 2013, 07:42 AM
He's 44. And I don't think he's gone through Reverse Puberty in the last three years. In fact, I don't think that's actually a thing at all!

http://www.voicemedicine.com/aging.htm
http://www.nyee.edu/cfv-spotlight.html
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/therapy/vocal.html
I understand most people don't even want to talk to older people because they're so gross and remind you of your up and coming mortality, but yeah it kind of is. Almost all my college professors are older men so I consider myself an expert on this. If you want to hear an old man in a video game who actually sounds his age play Silent Hill 3. And not the HD remake garbage.

terraablaze
April 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
David Hayter on not being brought back to voice Snake, Naked Snake/Big Boss specifically.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjhhf9

So that's another angle on it. It wasn't because he wanted to stop being Snake.

Mcjon01
April 2nd, 2013, 11:05 AM
David Hayter on not being brought back to voice Snake, Naked Snake/Big Boss specifically.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rjhhf9

So that's another angle on it. It wasn't because he wanted to stop being Snake.

April 1, 2013

YEAH OKAY GUESS THAT PROVES IT NO FUNNY BUSINESS HERE GUYS

Mcjon01
April 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
Wait. Wait. What if. What if over the course of the game you play through the founding of Outer Heaven, and then the ending is the original Metal Gear from Big Boss's perspective and this is all an elaborate ruse to cover up the fact that they'll be having David Hayter voice Solid Snake as the antagonist.

Fuck, I don't know. What were the themes again? It was like, Gene, Meme, Scene... nostalgia? And this time I guess it's dickish mindfuckery so I'm not taking anything off the table no matter what they say.

terraablaze
April 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM
But they've been talking about him not voicing Snake for a while. People make legit announcements during April Fools', some people simply need to get some stuff done that day regardless of its sanctity.

Mcjon01
April 2nd, 2013, 12:32 PM
I'd buy that if it was, like, an official press release or something. But this is basically some guy's blog entry, he could have said it any day of the week. But he didn't. He said it April 1.

terraablaze
April 2nd, 2013, 12:37 PM
He's been saying it though, this is just the biggest and most comprehensive comment he's made on the matter.

Mcjon01
April 2nd, 2013, 12:56 PM
On April 1.

Mattias
April 2nd, 2013, 03:01 PM
But Metal Gear games never have false information leaked as a big joke. What's next? Creating a whole fake Swedish company just to air a trailer?

Oh, Wait.....

Seriously even if it wasn't April 1st, I still wouldn't believe it until I had the game in my PlayStation and had logged at least twenty hours (which is like three cutscenes on a Metal Gear game).

Vigilantia
April 8th, 2013, 02:15 AM

Metal Gear?! Nanomachines!? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!! LIQUIIIIIIIIIIIIIDD!!!!!!!

Edit: Oh, you said 5 sentences. Nm...

I'm kinda hoping it too is an April Fools joke (given how they made a fake Company for Phantom Pains and all). David Hayter is as icon to Metal Gear as Saber is to T-M.

GG_Abrams
November 21st, 2013, 08:25 AM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcSs8sdRvNc

DevilBlaze
November 21st, 2013, 11:58 PM
New trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcSs8sdRvNc

Damn, I hate watching these vids cause my hype for the game gets harder to handle.

When is ground zeroes coming out?

GG_Abrams
November 22nd, 2013, 11:31 AM
Damn, I hate watching these vids cause my hype for the game gets harder to handle.

When is ground zeroes coming out?

Spring 2014 is the only information I could find. I'm really excited for it. And regarding Keiter Sutherland voicing Snake, I'n not too bummed about it honestly. It would be hilarious if David Hayter voiced Jack Bauer in the next 24 game as a way to flip him off.

The Geek
November 22nd, 2013, 04:52 PM
Spring 2014, huh? Well, I guess I know what I'm doing next Summer Break.

GG_Abrams
November 22nd, 2013, 05:04 PM
Spring 2014, huh? Well, I guess I know what I'm doing next Summer Break.You're going to spend your entire Summer playing a 2-4 hour game ? Kay.

GG_Abrams
January 12th, 2014, 12:20 AM
So....does anyone have anything to comment about the Jamais Vu DLC?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-afMxILwxM

Mcjon01
January 12th, 2014, 12:30 AM
...Does this mean I have to buy an Xbox One?

Zenieth
January 12th, 2014, 12:44 AM
you could not and tell your kinect you did.

Fingolfin
January 12th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Got the PC version of Rising/Revengeance to see how it was in comparison to console version. Runs pretty well considering how old my laptop is aside from the occasional slow-down (more than usual) when I enter blade mode. Also, anti-aliasing and antriophic eats up frame-rate like a bitch so don't bother turning those on unless you hate ridges.

Mcjon01
January 12th, 2014, 12:53 AM
I sand down my Ruffles so what does that tell you.

Christemo
January 12th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Bought it but I'm not going for Become A Lightning God again.

Owain
January 12th, 2014, 01:45 AM
I was gonna play through the HD collection and try to speed run MGS3 on European Extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le23bsVURds
Nevermind, this man has topped anything I have or ever will do in a Metal Gear Solid. All he needed was Porn and Explosives to pull it off.

Phearo
January 12th, 2014, 10:22 AM
You're going to spend your entire Summer playing a 2-4 hour game ? Kay.

I wonder if we can buy a package for the two games, along with buying 'em separately.