PDA

View Full Version : Rurouni Kenshin Live Action?!

EXiku
December 16th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Not sure whether this should go here and am also not sure if I'm slow on the uptake...but First Trailer:

http://youtu.be/5yX8WAcjL_Q

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5yX8WAcjL_Q)I don't take credit for finding out about this...a forumite on another forum I troll put it up :3

Aww man...I need to finish this series stat!

Sherrinford
December 16th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Ah, yes.

nununu
December 16th, 2011, 11:31 AM
>live action
>Japanese

OTL

EXiku
December 16th, 2011, 11:33 AM
So I take it that I am a slowpoke...*sigh* This is what I get for not keeping up with media news...

Sherrinford
December 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
^ my last info on this was just the cast. And I kind of forgot about it. So, not really slowpoke. : )

>live action
>Japanese

OTL

Well, yes, but this is Rurouni Kenshin. Leaving aside the fact that Japanese live action aesthetics usually doesn't appeal to Westerners, if they can't get this right... !

whosaidthat
December 16th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Ah, yes.

Kaiji was a good movie. I'm still waiting for my non-game related live action Akagi, though.

DreamsRequiem
December 16th, 2011, 11:40 AM
>live action
>Japanese

OTL

Live action Battleship Yamato. Wave motion gun. Watch it, it's worth it.

Sherrinford
December 16th, 2011, 11:41 AM
^^ it was more of a "ah, yes, I heard about it".

But yes, I mean, this is really Japan's territory. Of course it won't be in Hollywood aesthetics, I myself don't even know if I'll watch it, but...

(... Hollywood aesthetics, which would have involved Keanu Reeves.)

nununu
December 16th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Japanese live action has a tendency to use devices that are only plausible and/or aesthetically pleasing in the anime/manga medium. Especially when the original work is of said medium.

I only have reservations against such adaptations which, based on what little we see from the trailer, this would likely be one.

Hen_Ichi
December 16th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Heard about it ages ago.

tbh, its reassuring that the trailer is so srs bsns.

celsius
December 16th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Satou Takeru!?

Chaos Greyblood
December 16th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Phoenix Wright will also get the same treatment too.

Sherrinford
December 16th, 2011, 09:31 PM
by Takashi Miike, yes. And always, for the product it is meant to be (if you get what I mean), it doesn't look bad (but I didn't play PW, so... dunno).

And I heard Ranma 1/2 too will get a live action.

Hen_Ichi
December 17th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Now see, the Ranma 1/2 poster was horrific.

And Phoenix Wright by Takshii Miike? It's a mindfuck of visual media then -_-

DreamsRequiem
December 17th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Satou Takeru!?
Yes Takeru Satoh. Awesome multiple personality hero from Kamen Rider DenO. Goes from meek to hotblooded to smooth talking to muscle head to childish brat to regal then meek again, at a mere drop of a hat. Also an incredible dancer, with dem moves leaving you in awe.

And yes, I am a fan.

Artee
December 17th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Man, I'm really a BIG fan of Rurouni Kenshin since more than 10 years ago, but, I get kinda disappointed when they decide to turn one series into a Live Action.. I still wanna watch the new OVAs

Hen_Ichi
December 31st, 2012, 05:46 PM
Twas awesome.

Let alone manga>live action, this is probably the best Japanese made movie I've seen. Most reassuring for my perception of Japanese acting. It reminds me of old 90s movies. When things were serious, carefully choreographed and shot with no CG.

Despite the rewrites and changes to fit elements from first third of Kenshin into a movie, I didn't find anything particularly unacceptable. Surprising as I'm a hugely cynical nitpicker. One brief way to put it - When I watched Batman Begins I definitely felt 'This is Batman'. When I watched Star Trek I felt =| and only later grudgingly acknowledged it as a good remake.

When I watched this movie adapted from a classic manga that ended years ago I felt 'This is Kenshin.'

Kenshin lives.

When the DVD/BDs are released close enough to these shores I shall purchase.
Bring on the next movies (http://www.otakultura.com/rurouni-kenshin-film-sequel-announced.html#.UOIFxneRYu4)

ChronoReverse
December 31st, 2012, 06:48 PM
I'm looking forward to subtitles for the BD release.

celsius
December 31st, 2012, 09:55 PM
Sure had some bad pacing.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 1st, 2013, 01:38 PM
My friends who just got back from Japan said they saw it, and as they're hardcore Ruroken fans, I am very happy when they say, "It twas awesome."

If only the same could be said for those Shin-Kyoto Hen OVAs. >_<

ChronoReverse
January 1st, 2013, 02:14 PM
I thought it was quite good considering it can't be the same as the manga. Obviously they had to cut elements that I really wanted (like Aoshi) because of the movie format. There were already loads of characters as it is after all. I'm glad there'll be more movies though since they can fit the characters in there.

The only thing I wish they'd had put more into was Sanosuke vs Kenshin. Losing out on Sanosuke's motivation is unfortunate. This movie is clearly catered more to those who already know about Kenshin in some ways.

Still, with the thought that this is the first movie in a set, this is a good movie. The action was tight, Kenshin was put in the spotlight, the core characters introduced and main theme of the story has been put forth. I'm certainly looking forward to the rigors the future has in store for our characters.

Hen_Ichi
January 1st, 2013, 04:28 PM
I think that Ninja guy was sposed to be a katamari'd representation of the Oniwabanshu.
Even with more movies I understand why they wouldn't want to cram in characters for the hell of it.
He could be Aoshi-esque in that they give him a standard issue defeated but spared warrior grudge. Kinda like how they made Saito being ever present and thus much reducing the intensity of his grudge, yet it still remains there.

imo, they did a damn good job with the essentials. The secondaries Yahiko and Sanosuke weren't that important to plot, but nonetheless they did have to be there. I hope the next one goes deeper in to who those two are. And if we get to Kyoto - actually see the kid win a fight.

Rowanism
January 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM
My friends who just got back from Japan said they saw it, and as they're hardcore Ruroken fans, I am very happy when they say, "It twas awesome."

If only the same could be said for those Shin-Kyoto Hen OVAs. >_<
I know man I was so hype when Soujirou appeared and I was expecting an awesome fighting scene full of awesomeness like in the series. I was so fucking disappointed at everything.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 1st, 2013, 10:47 PM
I know man I was so hype when Soujirou appeared and I was expecting an awesome fighting scene full of awesomeness like in the series. I was so fucking disappointed at everything.

More disappointing for me was Amakakeru Ryuu no Hirameki becoming Telepathic Hilt Smash of Forehead Splitting.

ChronoReverse
January 1st, 2013, 11:43 PM
Wow, that OVA really sounds like BS.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 7th, 2013, 11:45 PM
I think that Ninja guy was sposed to be a katamari'd representation of the Oniwabanshu.

According to the credits, they're Gein and Banjin Inui from the Jinchuu arc, which makes more sense. Puppet string dude and guy with unbreakable arm guards.

aldeayeah
January 8th, 2013, 08:00 AM
watching this sent me deep into nostalgia overdrive

Best parts: Sano-Inui's idiotic battle (USE YOUR HEAD!), everything involving Saitou.

I'm not really worried about how they'll handle future installments, the script was pretty competent at synthesizing/combining plotlines and characters.

- - - Updated - - -

Although I feel a bit sorry for Oniwabanshuu fans, lol.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 8th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Eh, Oniwabanshuu might actually work better elsewhere, tbh. Say they do the Kyoto arc; I'd just put Aoshi in with Shishio's ilk and go straight to that conflict rather than the death guilt thing.

My favorite part was Kenshin taking off his shoes before entering the dojo to put the smack down on the gangsters. It's so small a thing, but I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at it. "Oh, better be respectful, this is a dojo after all..."

That and the guys they got to be Saitou and Jin-e were freaking perfect.

aldeayeah
January 8th, 2013, 01:04 PM
Kyoto arc has a loooot of stuff going on, they are going to have a field day trimming it down.

I'm afraid Soujirou or Aoshi will become a single character, and his role will be closer to Sou's than Aoshi's.

I mean, there's little room for two redemption stories, especially when neither involves the main antagonist.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 8th, 2013, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure it'd just be covered in one film, though. Japan doesn't quite have the cultural notion that everything needs to be in a trilogy.

aldeayeah
January 8th, 2013, 02:04 PM
I don't see them splitting the Kyoto arc, because it only has one climax - Shishio vs Kenshin. Everything else is buildup.

I can see them combining the Rengoku attack and the final battle into one single sequence, though. The way they delayed the final confrontation in the manga always felt a bit forced to me - even though Shishio's Endboss Dungeon was awesome.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 8th, 2013, 02:30 PM
There's a lot of places they could break it up. The breaking of the sakabatou. Kenshin learning the succession technique while standing over a mostly dead Hiko. The Rengoku plan could be the end fight (that's what they did in the OVA) but you could also split up that from the burn-down-Kyoto bit and make them two separate things. Considering how much they made Kanryuu a major villain in this movie, they could absolutely mess around with Kyoto arc stuff, really. Hell, I could even see them going with cutting out Soujirou and instead putting Enishi in and combining both the "you need to live" theme with the "this is what you hold dear" theme instead of doing a one-section-per-movie sort of deal.

ChronoReverse
January 8th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Shuffling things around so that the breaking of the Sakabatou is a break-point between two movies would be nice.

Then you could have the Oniwabanshuu bit in the first movie and Aoshi in his emo mode for the second. Maybe even combine some of the more pointless goons in the 10 swords for the Oniwabanshuu instead.

aldeayeah
January 8th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Isn't Watsuki involved in the production? I guess he'll help them come up with something.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 8th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Watsuki is involved in the production in the same way any creator is involved in the production of something like a major motion picture: they get to come onto set and go, "Oooooh, that's pretty."

Hen_Ichi
January 8th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Huh. Kinda wierd to me but ok. If they get that far, maybe they return for grudgematch?
My favorite part was Kenshin taking off his shoes before entering the dojo to put the smack down on the gangsters. It's so small a thing, but I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at it. "Oh, better be respectful, this is a dojo after all..."

He's an honorable swordsman. It would only be appropriate.

I'm not sure it'd just be covered in one film, though. Japan doesn't quite have the cultural notion that everything needs to be in a trilogy.
This reassures me.

How about Oniwabanshu mixed with sanosuke's back story and really getting into Saitou's hate for Kenshin and ending with dat Kenshin leaving scene for the next movie?

Then, they're more or less set up for Kyoto?

Arashi_Leonhart
January 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
He's an honorable swordsman. It would only be appropriate.

He's Japanese. That's what makes it appropriate. The main thing that makes it funny is how the gangsters are all inside having already dirtied the place up and torn stuff down, and here Kenshin is going in to kick their asses, "But first, shoes."

Hen_Ichi
January 8th, 2013, 05:41 PM
He's an honorable swordsgentleman whose Japanese in Japan where the relative lack of foreigners there at the time makes the point moot :V

Besides, there's a lovely bit of fuck you in being polite around arseholes before you kick their arses ^.^

Hen_Ichi
January 8th, 2014, 06:06 PM
It shall come in two parts. Rurouni Kenshin: The Great Kyoto Fire and Rurouni Kenshin: The End of a Legend

I hope they'll be at least as good as the first (http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/rurouni-kenshin/charactor.html)
Lol, this kid reminds of Sakurai having always wanted to play Cloud Strife. (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-24/live-action-rurouni-kenshin-sequels-on-set-photos-debut)

Sherrinford
January 8th, 2014, 07:03 PM
Yeah, the first one was good indeed.

ChronoReverse
January 8th, 2014, 07:11 PM
I liked the first one. I really hope the followup will be great too.

So will these two movies cover the Kyoto Arc (including the lead up) only?

I hope they do a good job and make enough money to greenlight an adaptation of Jinchuu as well.

aldeayeah
January 9th, 2014, 05:42 AM
That's one cute Misao.

I wonder if the rest of the Juppongatana will appear, as featured extras or something. I think I'll miss Houji if he doesn't appear.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 9th, 2014, 08:48 AM
I'm just loving the fact that Kenji from Summer Wars is Soujirou.

Hen_Ichi
January 9th, 2014, 05:00 PM
I assume The Great Kyoto Fire will cover until the conclusion of the great Kyoto Fire where the The End of a Legend is the rest of the Arc.

http://i.imgur.com/jyL882S.jpg

Yagami Light is Shishio. Think about that.

aldeayeah
January 9th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Yayyy full juppongatana. Of course most of them will have minimal screentime, but still.

Sherrinford
January 9th, 2014, 07:30 PM
Shishio's kimono looks like made out of crocodile's skin.

Arashi_Leonhart
March 20th, 2014, 12:03 AM
nothing witty to say too busy rewatching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAgmfGZbVrQ

Sherrinford
March 20th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Mh-mh.

Hen_Ichi
March 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM
YESSSSSSSSSSSS

Arashi_Leonhart
May 1st, 2014, 12:45 AM
New trailer so awesome I can't even

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCei4Vm1ZP8

Sherrinford
May 1st, 2014, 07:10 AM
Nice.

Rainrir
May 1st, 2014, 07:29 AM
Looks like the are keeping the love bite Shishio gave Kenshin, and making Shishio more invincible looking by making all 4 of them fight him at the same time (that didn't quite go down that way in the manga). It doesn't look like Kenshin will go visit Hiko, nor will there be a showdown at the Shishio's sekret base (everything seems to end on the Rengoku?).

Seriously, I guess Embalming is all but abandoned now that Watsuki is making belcoup bucks of Rurouni Kenshin again... Also the trailer seems to be for two movies. I suppose this means that first movie will be versus the Juppongatana filler + Setup Aoshi(Maybe Soujiro climax?), while the second movie will be Juppongatana master tier fights + final Aoshi resolution + vs Shishio?

Not sure if Anji will get the screen time he deserves. I sure hope Blindguy (Usui) doesn't get jobbed badly like he did in the manga again (he got a pretty wicked redesign it seems).

Edit: EIther that or they will save Hiko reveal for the second movie trailer.

Siriel
May 1st, 2014, 08:11 AM
Fight against Aoshi was before Soujiro in the manga.

So I expect that Aoshi will be the final boss of the first movie, with Soujiro being the pre-Shishio fight.

Rainrir
May 1st, 2014, 08:18 AM
Fight against Aoshi was before Soujiro in the manga.

So I expect that Aoshi will be the final boss of the first movie, with Soujiro being the pre-Shishio fight.

By Climax, I don't necessarily mean Soujiro will lose, it might be an draw instead. It is just a good way to cap a movie. Anyway, there is no real guarantee that the movie will follow the manga, seeing that what looks like the final battle is on the Rengoku. If we follow the manga, the Aoshi fight is right before the Soujiro fight, which will make the second movie very short (even if we have a extended Usui/Saito fight).

Siriel
May 1st, 2014, 08:19 AM
It almost definitely won't.

It's just, they need a final boss for the first movie. though I guess Kenshin losing to Soujiro might do it.

Hen_Ichi
May 1st, 2014, 03:01 PM
Hm. Guess Sanosuke remains sidekick extra. Since if Rengoku is endgame there's no need for him to obtain a ship sinking warhead from old buds and go into his backstory.

Rainrir
May 1st, 2014, 03:03 PM
Hm. Guess Sanosuke remains sidekick extra. Since if Rengoku is endgame there's no need for him to obtain a ship sinking warhead from old buds and go into his backstory.

At least it looks like he will be part of the final battle as a non-load.

He was totally a load in the manga, at least in that fight. I know he did well to take hits from Anji so Kenshin is less beat-up. However, I always thought if not him, then Saito probably will go for a straight up kill Anji before too much damage can happen. He could possibly still take on Usui afterwards, or Usui becomes a wild card against Kenshin (can't see Usui putting too much fight though).

Hen_Ichi
May 25th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Y'know. I did always like Misao. Back in the day.

Damn. Has it been so long already?

http://i60.tinypic.com/4u9orc.jpg

I hope this cat is livelier than the cat from the first movie :V

Oh.

And the official site (http://wwws.warnerbros.co.jp/rurouni-kenshin/index.html) has been update. With a bitchin' splash pic.

From one of the thumbnails I guess the inn staffnin are all present. Shame about the dead squad. heh.

ChronoReverse
May 26th, 2014, 03:12 PM
At least it looks like he will be part of the final battle as a non-load.

He was totally a load in the manga, at least in that fight. I know he did well to take hits from Anji so Kenshin is less beat-up. However, I always thought if not him, then Saito probably will go for a straight up kill Anji before too much damage can happen. He could possibly still take on Usui afterwards, or Usui becomes a wild card against Kenshin (can't see Usui putting too much fight though).

Doubt even Saito could take down Anji without a scratch. Shishio himself said that no one could come out of a fight with Anji without injuries.

Can't wait for more Kenshin movies =)

Hen_Ichi
July 19th, 2014, 04:07 PM
10/10 That's one buff old nippon man! (http://youtu.be/8TaamO3W4As)

spoilers btw. Though those in the know know the plot already :V

Arashi_Leonhart
July 19th, 2014, 04:16 PM
The tv shorts also have Capoeira Kenshin.

Hen_Ichi
July 19th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Alliteration baby!

say that made it into ur sig fast :V
<.<
>.>
*quietly slinks away*

Arashi_Leonhart
July 19th, 2014, 04:27 PM
It's been in my sig for a week.

Hen_Ichi
October 19th, 2014, 10:37 AM
DVDs when.

http://youtu.be/837dNfZR5SQ

http://youtu.be/bWHd5_W4QPg

Arashi_Leonhart
December 13th, 2014, 09:06 AM
So yeah wow the Kyoto Inferno movie. Not as tightly woven as the first, as ought to be expected. It also gets a lot more suspension of disbelief-challenging later on. But shit the choreography is somehow even better and given time constraints I think they did a pretty awesome job.

Hen_Ichi
December 13th, 2014, 05:11 PM
KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-

want ;_;

JetKinen
December 13th, 2014, 05:28 PM
Is the movie out or something like that?

Hen_Ichi
December 13th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Dunno. Wiki said 17th but this guy....

JetKinen
December 13th, 2014, 07:11 PM
Well just finished downloading some torrents and yeah, it seems its out

Kickass.to has it

Hen_Ichi
December 13th, 2014, 08:53 PM
Days before release?

I'm tempted to say Sony leak but my halfassed Googling hasn't tied Sony to Kyoto Inferno yet. Maybe missing obvious search or something.

JetKinen
January 19th, 2015, 12:49 AM
http://a.pomf.se/zaxphf.webm
http://a.pomf.se/ataihi.webm
http://a.pomf.se/ztgipg.webm

The new movie is out for download

Arashi_Leonhart
January 19th, 2015, 05:10 AM
In the middle of it now. I'm liking

how they made Shishio and the Rengoku into an actual threat rather than the punchline to a joke. The take on Hiko is pretty awesome. Also they didn't go for making Kuzuryusen like a nine-move Tsubame Gaeshi, just a rather awesome combo, and it works fine. Aoshi's fight is awesome, dramatic, and his moves are also shown in a sort of low-key way which is kinda neat.

On the other hand

I still really don't like how they took the worst element of the Revenge arc by making Kaoru damsel-in-distress-y.

JetKinen
January 19th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Kaoru is barely in the movie to be considered a damsel-in-distress

I thought the third movie started real slow but once Kenshin begun his fight with Aoshi the movie was basically pure adrenaline.

A minor gripe is that in some fights, like Aoshi's one, the camera work isn't very good.

Arashi_Leonhart
January 19th, 2015, 07:19 PM
I mean the carry over from the second. She's there to get pushed around and for Kenshin to be worried about.

Not a lot of resolution, though. Setting up the movie with Hiko finding little Shinta and stuff doesn't really have any kind of payoff since Hiko just disappears from the movie midway. Soujirou just breaks down without any real conclusion. And then he and Anji might just blow up and sink on the ship.

Disliked how Misao just tends to show up with no real explanation, whether at Hiko's or at the end. Aoshi showing up was also kinda funny since they make a big deal of the others getting onto the ship and then SUDDENLY NINJA GUY since they moved his fight to be separate from allied with Shishio.

Thought the "have the government mark Battousai" subplot was dumb as shit, especially that they didn't seem to expect some kind of counterattack with it.

The fighting was good though. Shishio was a beast, even if he inexplicably doesn't stab Sano a couple of times when given the chance. Although I think they tried to stuff too much into the story--really they probably could've done without the Aoshi plot at all, use that time to better establish others like in the Juppongatana--I get that people'd probably be up in arms that it isn't included since they removed it from the Kanryuu part of the first movie. Hiko, Shishio, and Soujirou stand out to me as really well done all things considered.

JetKinen
January 19th, 2015, 08:02 PM
To be fair once Kenshin and Sano are inside the ship its everyone's game.

To be fair adapting the Juppongatana arc, the real famous Kenshin arc, was bound to happen but that stuff is like 80 episodes?

I think they did a commendable job with the adaptation

Shishio vs Everyone is a pretty amazing fight scene.