PDA

View Full Version : Alquinaissance (IC)



deviatesfish
December 18th, 2011, 10:43 PM
You flow in a floating world, where clouds swirl about.
Something ethereal passes through you…
…Or did you pass through something ethereal?

The pace of things stand still, and nothing moves at all. You are alone. You are not alone.

Everything stops, everything is an illusion.

…then, suddenly, a bubble rises.
It is no mere bubble. It is the start of something different, a change that will shake the world or destroy it utterly. Or perhaps it is a pearl of an event horizon that will sweep us all away.

More will follow.
More do follow.

Your skin is the first that gains any sense of sense. You float under pressure, yet aimlessly. Next are your ears, as you hear the first bubble rise. It heralds your coming. Your lips taste the sweet, tangy iron of chemical liquid, many times more powerful than blood at what it does. Your eyes, the last to open, behold you to the world that waits.

You are in a glowing, fluorescent turquoise tube. It is larger than you by several times, enough to allow you to float aimlessly. But you will not… or rather, you cannot. Your muscles are just grown. Your cells have only been alive a few scant seconds longer than you have been awake…

…but wait! That’s not right!

You remember yourself, sitting in front of a computer screen, surfing the internet and checking out forums. Such a science fiction setting should not exist! Are you in a dream…?

You cannot see passed the glass of the tube, but you can hear some kind of static. There is a screen in the center of the room, just before you. It is shaking and fuzzy, you cannot see what it on there. But you can hear it well enough.

“…My… Children…” The static-filled voice calls from the other side of the mirror-like glass. It is filled with sorrow, the stuff of unfulfilled dreams. “…My… Children… I give you… Life! Live…! Live!”

The voice shudders as the room shakes. Sounds of explosions and eldritch things tell you that a battle is going on above you, around you, and below you. More bubbles flow around you…

…the liquid that holds you to this cell is slowly draining from the tube. Your lips twitch, as your body gains more and more strength.

“I have… done some… terrible… stolen…” The voice is now broken. Its words are slowly fading. The screen dims and grows dark. But the message keeps going. Your eyes unfocus as a memory of the past, not your memory, filters through your mind. You see the man; it is a white haired, red-eyed man who looks as if he has not has sleep in decades, starting at you hopelessly.

100%
“Day 167,” the tired man muttered, his eyes growing dim. He looked like a man who had given up all hopes of living, “I don’t want to run anymore. It was a fool’s hope, for me to have escaped… Acht…” He spat the name like a curse and as if merely saying it would cause his mouth to fill with acid.

He placed a hand on glass. You cannot see through the fog of memory, but you realize that this glass is the same glass that holds you. There is something forlorn on his face. He seems lost in thought. “Aye… stealing half of the Einzbern’s Magic Crest!” He cried to the heavens, “I was a fool! You were right, grandfather! But I stole your precious Crest! And now… and now, I will die? I don’t want to face death like this.”

Suddenly, he turned to you!

“Hear me, my children!” His eyes rolled to the back of his head and his voice filled with a crazed insanity that could only be found in dead men, “I give you each a piece of the legacy of the Einzbern! I… I make you my legacy! Through some Mystery of the Third, I give you full souls!”


Then he began to laugh. Have you ever seen Mark Hamill’s the Joker? The cartoon version found in the animated Batman; have you ever heard that laughter? Now imagine it, in a chorus of ninety, echoing through all parts of your mind. Now imagine it as the laughing man’s eyes began to leak blood, and red bubbles began to foam out of his lips. Now imagine it as his skin began to crawl off his body…

“Live! Live and thrive!” He cried, “But beware…! The whole world’s against you!”

100%

Suddenly, you are back.

You are back in your body. No, this isn’t your body, but now it is your body. But you are back nevertheless.

The glass tank drains of the last of its liquids and you fall to its bottom. There, you knelt as the whole building shook again and again. You could barely breathe, let alone break out. Your life will probably end soon too. You knew those names. Einzbern. You know what happens when someone crosses such an old and powerful family… right? Even if he were a member of the family…

But you are not dead yet.

The glass lowers and disappears. As you crawled out of there, cold and starving, you saw through the corners of your eyes, four others just like you. You could have been twins, not quintuplets! Each of you had the same look, with the same red marks of a powerful magic crest etched into you…

Each of you had the same features as the Rogue Einzbern who created your bodies, well, as close as you could imagine yourselves to be at that age. The only relevant reference you had was, you would be the youngest form of Ilyasviel von Einzbern… if she were whatever gender you were.

The chamber you are in, a small place that seemed to be the center of a bunker, shook again. Dust fell from the ceiling as the sounds of battle subsided. Moments later, two powerful looking stone golems stumbled into the chamber, before collapsing, having fulfilled their duties of protecting you long enough until your birth or rebirth.

With everyone out and against you, can you survive, defeat the Einzbern, and be recognized as the inheritors of all that is Einzbern?

100%

OOC Thread (http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/1457-Alquinaissance-%28OOC-discussion%29)

Players:

1. Alfheimwanderer
2. Brynhilde
3. Blackdeath6031
4. LeopardBear
5. Deviatesfish

100%

Current Situation

Time: Week 2 (date unknown)

Location: Old Soviet Bunker, Somewhere, Some Country, Some Continent, Gaia

100%

Community Population: 7
Community:
The Rogue's Children (5), War-Golems (2)

100%

Community Skills:

Magic Circuits: Rank F (Very Low Output)
Wishcraft: Rank F (Requires All 5 To Do Anything)

Community Stats: None

Resources: None

Allies: None

100%

Inventory:

Old Books (Several),
Record of The Rogue's Children (1),
Common Knowledge My Children Should Know (1),
Tome of Healing Magic (1),
How to Repair Homunculi (1),

Files (Dozens),
Mercenary Groups Files (Few),
Mercenary Files (Few),
File on Emiya Kiritsugu (1),
Document on Emiya Kiritsugu (1),

Dead War-Golem (3),
Pile of Dead Mercenaries (1),
Handguns (3),
Sniper Rifle (1),
Mounted Gatling (2),
SMG (2),
AK-74 (1),
AK-47 (2),
Giant Pile of Ammunition (1),
Giant Pile of Grenades (1),
Giant Box of Ammunition (2),
Mystic Code: Obsidian Knife (1),
Unidentified Mystic Code (1),

Misc. Fruits (Few),
MREs (Few),
Medikits (Few),

100%

Individual Stats

100%

Alfheimwanderer
Homunculus Name: Skadi
Gender: Female
Homunculus Age: One Week

Magic Circuits: Unknown
Magic Circuit Output: Unknown
Magic Crest: 10% of Einzbern Crest

Knowledge (Supernatural):
(Homunculus): (F-)
(Human Organizations): (F-)

Skills (Supernatural):
(Knife): (F)

Strength: Child
Stamina: Young Child
Intelligence: Young Child
Dexterity: Child
100%

Brynhilde
Homunculus Name: Verdandi
Gender: Female
Homunculus Age: One Week

Magic Circuits: Unknown
Magic Circuit Output: Unknown
Magic Crest: 10% of Einzbern Crest

Knowledge (Supernatural):
(Homunculus): (F-)
(Human Organizations): (F-)

Skills (Supernatural):
(Mundane Guns): (F)

Strength: Child
Stamina: Young Child
Intelligence: Young Child
Dexterity: Child
100%

Blackdeath6031
Homunculus Name: Loki
Gender: Male
Homunculus Age: One Week

Magic Circuits: Unknown
Magic Circuit Output: Unknown
Magic Crest: 10% of Einzbern Crest

Knowledge (Supernatural): None

Skills (Supernatural):
(Mundane Guns): (F)

Strength: Child
Stamina: Young Child
Intelligence: Young Child
Dexterity: Child
100%

LeopardBear
Homunculus Name: Chryse
Gender: Female
Homunculus Age: One Week

Magic Circuits: Unknown
Magic Circuit Output: Unknown
Magic Crest: 10% of Einzbern Crest

Knowledge (Supernatural):
(Homunculus): (F-)

Skills (Supernatural):
(Mundane Guns): (F)

Strength: Child
Stamina: Young Child
Intelligence: Young Child
Dexterity: Child
100%

Deviatesfish
Homunculus Name: Luna
Gender: Female
Homunculus Age: One Week

Magic Circuits: Unknown
Magic Circuit Output: Unknown
Magic Crest: 10% of Einzbern Crest

Knowledge (Supernatural):
(Homunculus): (F-)
(Human Organizations): (F-)

Skills (Supernatural):
(Mundane Guns): (F)

Strength: Child
Stamina: Young Child
Intelligence: Young Child
Dexterity: Child

Brynhilde
December 18th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Brynhilde
Homunculus Name: Verdandi
Gender: Female

"This is... not... happening!"

My voice rasps through my throat. Every breath and gasp is ten times more painful than the last. I am cold, not only in the body, but also in my core. My flesh shivers while my heart trembls, from the chill, from the anger, from the injustice. My numb, senseless fingers reach out, and contract, clawing at the rock-hard ground beneath me. A worm. I feel like a worm crawling along the ground, not human, not even sentient. Out of desperation and rage, I smack my palm against the ground as hard as I can, to convince me this is not real, that the last freakish minutes were only a fragment of my imagination.

Dust falls on my head as the ceiling keeps shaking. Sound of slaughter and death seep into my ears as the events outside the door continues on. Long blonde hair, so long and velvety that I would have considered to be elegant and demure if I am in a better mood, dangles before my eyes and drapes along my back. No. It is not even my own body. The pallid hands that I current behold should not be mine to begin with. A cruel joke. A damn cruel joke.

Einsbern? Homunculus? I grimace, uncaring about marring the beautiful visage that all Einsbern women seem to bear. The ground surrounding me is wet from the water that had held my body within that tube, flowing slowly and thickly away from its source like ruptured amniotic fluid, its perfection and sanctity ruined in order to give birth. Following the trail of the fluid, I glimpse four others like me, souls who had just being 'born' - no, that's incorrect, 'caged' - into this world, this body, this insanity.

I crawl away, away from these other four monsters. I am a human, not some Einsbern homunculus who are born to bear the Grail like a corrputed womb, a sacrifical flower. Shuffling to hide myself the best I can behind the container that had held my flesh, I peek out at the four others with enmity.

SeiKeo
December 19th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Leopard
Chryse
Female

I retch like a cat, vomiting thick liquid out of my lungs. Flop. I can't make this body work. Limbs refuse to work. Fingers cannot grasp. Cannot grip the cold slate of the ground. Eyes... my eyes refuse to focus. I can't see. I can't see the room. Only the freezing floor. I reach another hand in front of me to pull myself to... to where? Where am I trying to go? No, I'm not going anywhere. It's just the only thing I can do. The only meaning I can give my life now. Just another foot.

And as I reach out, I notice blue patterns carved in my skin, gleaming ice carved in Celtic patterns. What am I? Perhaps...

No. Nothing. I cannot force those signs to do anything. My mind, my body... too pathetic to force some kind of action.

The door opens, massive stone creatures coming stumbling in. The danger does not register to me: give me something, anything! I reach my tiny hand out to them, pleading. "Help me!"

...and they fall apart. My hand collapses to the ground with them. "Help me."

Blackdeath6031
December 19th, 2011, 02:03 AM
Blackdeath6031
Homunculus Name: Loki
Gender: Male


cough. coughcough
hack choke cough

Hearing, feeling what the doctors would tell me was a 'dry cough', I fall onto all fours.

Cold. It was cold.
It was cold and wet.
But my throat. It felt both cold and wet and hot and dry.

The burning, nauseating sensation of being suffocated.
The cold, wet touch of the floor.
The dry air which was running through my nose, tearing through my parched windpipe and nostrils.
The numbing, deafening, yet thunderous sensation of the whole world shaking - ready to collapse above and below me.
The warm, strangely comfortable feeling of being starved.
The awkward, uncomfortable feeling of vomiting.


"This is... not... happening!"

"Help me!"
"Help me."

Two voices - eerily identical yet originating from two different sources - both rasping out cries of agony, disbelief and fear.

To cry out. How human of these people.

However, if they were anything like me, they would be short on air.
So crying, regardless of motive, was perhaps one of the worst ideas.
Opening my mouth, I try to take deep breaths.

But was interrupted trying to inhale the first one.

Cold, dry.
Musty and dusty.

The inhaled air felt like it made whatever moisture was left in my throat just vanish.
And the dried up Sahara of my throat felt like it had been lacerated - no, torn off by the force of the air.

'Kamaitachi' would be an understatement.

Involuntarily, once more, I let out a barrage of coughs. Releasing more air than I had wanted.
With each cough I emptied my lungs.
With each time my lungs emptied, I inhaled again.
With each inhale my throat was tortured by my own devices.
And each time it was tortured, tickled by the prickly pain of the dead air and the burning sensation of coming into contact with dust, I couldn't help but to cough.

The endless cycle continued on. And on. And on.
Soon, I expected it to become punctuated by ejection of phlegm, or less often regurgitating bile and other stomach fluid.
Or so my stomach signalled. But nothing ever came.

Each time, pain shot through my chest, and my stomach felt like it was finally going to hurl.
Only to betray my expectations once more.

Ah, I couldn't help but wonder, when would this endless cycle end?
When would I finally be reprived of this?

Soon I begin to expect seeing blood.
Once again, my senses betrayed me.

But I lacked the ability to move away, to attempt to control my body. My arms were numb.
And soon, I collapsed onto the cold, wet ground.

Only then, did I realise that I felt a very strange sensation.
It was both familiar, yet unfamiliar.
The feeling of being hooked - perhaps unwillingly - to a corporeal shell.

However, the feeling was different.
Perhaps this is how it feels to be trapped in an artificial human?
Or was this merely because it was a different host to my usual one?

I could no longer tell.

All I could do,
Was to let my defeated body and humiliated spirit move to the machinations of those above.

deviatesfish
December 19th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Devatesfish
Homunculus Name: Luna
Female

...I am in...

I wanted to laugh! Why... why so depressed?

But instead of laughing, I coughed. My body shook, as it rejected the last of the goop that gave birth to me. It tasted like blood. It was probably nutritious, but I could only think of spitting it out. If I had any bile in my body, it would have came out too.

I fell to my knees, rolling out of the tube.

Ah...

It's hard to breathe...

My body doesn't know how to breathe? It needs to be taught, to be told, to even function...? What a design flaw!

I gasped and croaked, "...heaa... heaa..."

I tried to crawl forward, but but the short distance that I moved already caused me to be fatigued and wheezing.

"Y-you guys... suck..." I wheezed out. They are so depressing. "I...

...

...

...I could really use... some vanilla ice cream right now," I blushed. My tummy rumbled. Ah. I wonder what we have for... lunch? Dinner?

Ew, green goo is leaking from my mouth...!

Side Quest: Wiggle my big toe.

deviatesfish
December 19th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Verdandi

As you hide behind the container, another War Golem with distinctive Einzbern markings stumble in. It stops before you, and before you could react, it falls.

Luckily, it fell forward, which was just centimeters away from where you sat. But its weight broke what's left of the container, causing shattered pieces of metal and glass to fall everywhere.

You shiver as several pieces of metal hit your delicate skin, causing thin, red lines to appear before several drops of blood leaked out. You were cold and now you are hurt too.

Chryse

You reached out, and by some miracle, one of the worn out golems heard your call. It moved to you and cradled you into its arms like a bride, but did nothing else.

Its eyes flickered and dimmed as its internal energy waned. It seems to be awaiting further orders.

The golem is a thing of stone and steel, over two meters tall and tough like a mountain. Its skin causes some abrasions, but nothing too terrible. In its carry, you can see the circular chamber for what it was. Five containers lined the walls, from where you were born. At the center of the room was a desk covered in old, dusty tomes and several thick packets of papers bound in files. The room is lit dimly by a green light, but it is flickering. There is barely any energy left.

Loki

As you fall to your knees, you see a war golem walk in, before crashing down next to one of your kin. You are kin now. Another comes and picks up the girl beside you. Is it wrong that your eyes flickered to their girl parts? Well, how else would you be able to tell that they are girls?

Another homunculus on the other side of you falls to the floor and groans something like 'you guys suck' and 'I want ice cream'.

alfheimwanderer
December 19th, 2011, 04:27 AM
AlfheimWanderer
Homunculus Name: Skadi
Gender: Female

There are many things that I've come to expect in life. Being screwed over by the whims of fate, waking up to excruciating pain (emotional, mental, or physical) and nausea, finding that the world has become very, very large and very, very cold, and collapsing from delirium and and exhaustion - all these things and more, really. But then, my life has been full of extremes of fortune and experience from the time I was but an infant, mewling and puking in my mother's arms, till the present day, where I jested of my agedness, sighing like a furnace as I pondered wise saws and modern instances. I'd been exposed to death and suffering since the time I was but a child, after all, and dealing with things beyond the veil that most mortals feared to even comprehend.

Even so, I didn't expect to be hit by a combination of all these things in terrifying intensity, senses whiting out before a deluge of input and static that made me want to scream--except I had no air, so I couldn't. I was surrounded by liquid, gagging, feeble too-pale arms batting at a cage of glass for escape as the heart raced, every beat a stab of crushing pain...

AIR.

...and then with a jerk, I am released into the world.

Cold. Cold. COLD. CoLD. Death. Life. The spiral. COlD. COLD. Cold. ...

I hear nothing. The world has gone quiet, save for a ringing white noise that drowns out everything. The whining of every nerve firing at once, reducing my movements to spasms. The thudding of the heart as it beats all too fast, almost burning out, falling into fibrillation.

...Drip-Drip-Drip. Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

In the darkness, constant repetitive sound can be therapeutic, or maddening. Steady rhythms in a moist concrete cell, with no source of light, not even the door. No, wait. There was something, a low and steady flickering with a sometimes crackle-cackle-whoosh of torches steeped in petrol. Laughter, quiet mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip. Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Pain, old but not healing, wounds of battle left to fester and burn. Fever sometimes, delirium at others, but no treatment, no drugs, no morphine. Pain from cat-o-nine tails, pain from lash, pain from chains of silver-steel, manacles raw and chafing at the wrists. Headache, upset stomach, sore throat, congestion. Hunger, gnawing, groaning, gaping. Insides burning, writhing, try to moan but mouth too dry to speak.

Laughter, quiet mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip. Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Smell, gunpowder, smoke. Smell, fire, fresh petrol. Smell, sickly sweet, death. Smell, sweat, fear. Smell, farmland, resist, poison. Smell, chlorine water, hold breath. Exhale. In—no, must resist—fail. Searing, lungs, blister, collapse-but-chains confining. Ribs confining, throat constricting, choking—crack! Crack! Crack! Pain, shooting pain, erupting. Bowels erupting, pressure building, retching lungs as blood goes plop plop plop on floor, gagging but cannot vomit- nothing to throw up-no offering for the granite god of caves laughing his ass off. Laughter, quiet mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip. Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Drowning, no air, cut off. Coughing, oxygen, greed. Ribs crack, crack, crack, fracture. Can’t breathe. Can’t hold on. Resistance, futile. World, fading. Self, fading. Life, fading. Who. What. Where. When. How. Why? Why? Why? No answer. Darkness, closing, no, already, here. Laughter, quiet mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip. Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Light. Glaring, blinding, light. Smell, meat, tantalizing. Gone. Darkness, water, self-excretion. Smell, feces, gagging. Howling, ringing, flailing, ripping. Ears, hurting, body failing. MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP, MAKE IT STOP. No. Impact, nail, cat o nine. Freezing, burning, freezing, which? Laughter, mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip-Drip-Drip. Pause. Drip-Drip-Drip.

Fire, ghastly, fire. Water, cutting, water, toxic. Badger, badger, mushroom, mushroom. Snake. Solid, liquid, snake. Splinter, lodging, deep. Cutting, scything, slashing. Reaping. Never. Spit in face. Piss, tattered, remnant. Edge, sharp, silent scream. No, never, will not. Laughter, mocking laughter, echoing through cavernous hallways.

Drip. Drip...EINZBERN. HOMUNCULUS.

...what?
> First Time Initialization: Begin
> Unit Designation: Skadi
> Unit Classification: Nike (Modified Justica-class)
> Unit Gender: Female
> Development Time: One Week
> Skills: Not Implanted
> Soul: Loading in progress. Working...working...complete.
> Initialization COMPLETE

A jolt.

Lightning crackles down every nerve, down every vein, every circuit - everything whites out, goes still. The world shatters, and is reformed.

I come to in a cavern - a bunker - in a puddle of fluid, as a newly fledged homunculus, pale and cold and small. An immature homunculus without ability, barely able to hold my form together on my own. My skin is cold. My heart is cold. I feel as if I have been immersed into a frozen ocean on an Arctic night, without even the fading heat of my body to rely on. I can't feel it. I can't feel anything as I tremble, as I want to scream but still can't find the air, only able to whimper and shiver in place.

This body...it isn't mine. This isn't mine but it is mine, and so - what the hell? Honestly?

I'm not coordinated. I don't have the motor control I'm used to. The strength. The coordination. The precision.

My mind...its like I'm interfacing with what I know through a 9600 baud modem, or perhaps thinking and moving through molasses. Constrained. Like its still in that tube of viscous fluids.

Caged. I'm in a damn cage of flesh, with everything I was reduced to second childishness and mere oblivion, sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything (well, at least for a while).

And to add insult to injury, dust is falling on my head, and the world is shaking, with great moving statues - golems.

Neither am I alone, as four others are with me. One male. Three female.

Einzbern.

Rogue Einzbern, at that, with each of our forms marred by the scar of a partial crest.

I feel sick.

And somehow, I knew this wasn't just a dream. A very, very, bad dream as I look at the others and their folly, managing only to croak as I look up at the sky.

"What matters now our creative endless toil? When, at a snatch, oblivion ends the coil?"

...yes. Faust seemed appropriate about now.

Sidequest: Determine if it is safe to go outside.

alfheimwanderer
December 19th, 2011, 04:59 AM
Luna

Unfortunately, for all their purported magical strength, homunculi were quite weak as life forms, especially without the knowledge that was supposed to be programmed into them. Development had been ended to soon, and you were but a child - a poor pathetic worm of a being who could hardly even breathe, hardly move, hardly speak.

Your strength is all but gone. Your body has no heat with which to sustain itself, and little prana as a substitute.

No. Even if you had prana, it would be next to useless, as you don't know how to use it quite yet.

The ceiling rumbles - dust, grey and colourless, rains down upon you.


Side Quest: Wiggle my big toe.

Still, at least you manage to wiggle your big toe.

Blackdeath6031
December 19th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Loki

Strange constructions entered the room. If I had not known already that this was the Nasuverse, I'd have begun calling them Than golems - for which I curse Magic the Gathering novels. It appears as though one of them was interacting with another one of my...'kin', as it appears we are now. From what I could tell, it appears as though it is taking orders from us. Which could prove an interesting thing to try.

Noticing that four other figures in the room were all female - and naked to boot, I feel a rush of anxiety, anticipated and awkwardness.
There was no doubt that, despite being on the floor, numb and incapable of controlling my body, that the organ in between my legs was beginning to react.

I cursed myself mentally, labelling myself a lolicon and a pedophile. Had I control of this shell, I'd have released a sigh and attempt to hide that reaction, which - apart from my awkward pose - was public for all to see.
Surprisingly - or perhaps unsurprisingly, it did not react as much as it normally would.
Once again, I wish I could sigh.


"You guys suck."

But one of the others began to speak. Honestly, someone who spoke like that would cause me to be rather apprehensive of that person. First impressions and all, after all (but who am I to say anything, after my perverse reaction?).
Its people like these which I tend to place on my gray - or occasionally black - list.

However...

"I want ice cream."

That made me think of a person who acted the very same way, yet was one whom I could undoubtedly call a friend, and perhaps in some cases a mentor of sorts.
I smile, trying to stifle my joyous laughter as I remember the....heck, I lack enough knowledge to label them a 'guy' or a 'girl'.
I guess that's what happens over the net, huh.
Regardless, I mentally remove the person off my 'to be avoided' list and respond to him, now that my breath was back (though the smell of blood was definitely present).
"Hah. If we all happen to survive and I have the means to, I'd be glad to buy you some."


....hold on. Five containers. Five of us, four women (or at least four with female containers) and me.
....This could get.....rather awkward.
And problematic.

Sidequest: Observe how the golems interact with the other homunculi​

deviatesfish
December 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Loki

Only two Golems seem to react to homunculi stimuli. That is, when a homunculus speaks, those two, who still have a blue spark of life in their eyes, turn their heads ever so slightly towards the homunculus who spoke. If the homunculus issued a command then the Golem will carry out the simplest interpretation of the command. At least... that's what you see.

SeiKeo
December 19th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Chryse


You reached out, and by some miracle, one of the worn out golems heard your call. It moved to you and cradled you into its arms like a bride, but did nothing else.

"Hello." The golem's action is strange, but it was welcome. I did not have the strength to stand otherwise. Hmmm. That table... documents? Possibly... could it tell us why we are here? I gesture with my hand, attempting to convey to the golem "go over there."

Sidequest: Ride the golem to the documents, and pick them up.

deviatesfish
December 19th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Chryse

Sidequest: Ride the golem to the documents, and pick them up.

The golem takes you to the desk piled with papers. You don't know what to pick, so you take the first one you see. It is a document written in German or some other language you should not know. But you can understand every word of it... as if its knowledge has always been a part of you. The document that you picked up on random turns out to be a report on the progress of homunculus growth.

You have some suspicions that this is a report on your growth from when you are a fetus to how you are now. There are many areas that you cannot understand, but you can see several parts very clearly: the part when the magic crest is transfer to you, the part when you are altered beyond what could be considered human, and the part where you are each implanted or born with... some kind of furnace for prana inside your bodies. There are notes at the end about how to use prana to activate the engine within you to create more.

There are also some doodles at the side, because apparently Rogue Einzbern only made these records based on the habits forced upon him by his teachers.



Skadi

Sidequest: Determine if it is safe to go outside.

You stumble out of your container, and walk shakily out of one of the two doors out of the chamber. The one you took has air flowing in, and you are lucky it almost directly takes you to the surface. When you get up there and outside of the bunker, you see a battlefield...

There are destroyed golem pieces everywhere. Several are halved, so you could actually see the power core within. It is some kind of blue crystal infused with energy. There is also a pile of bodies here, in the middle of a clearing. They are the corpses of mercenaries. Everything seems quiet...

There must be at least thirty dead mercenaries, and almost all of them being magi too, since you only see staves and other strange devices, rather than traditional guns and other types of mundane weaponry.

Just as you think everything is quiet, a ragged, worn out man stumbled out into the clearing, yelling, "W-wait, wait! I surrender! N-no money is worth this! P-please I'll tell you--"

Before he could finish his sentence, a war golem appeared behind him faster than its large body belied. Then, with a single fist, it smashed down upon the man's head, through his torso and ending at his pelvis. With another flick of its arm, the golem tosses the man into the pile. Then it turns to you attentively, though you can see that it's on the last leg of its life, as its eyes are so dim, you could barely see any light in them at all.

alfheimwanderer
December 20th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Skadi

And so I stumble onto a scene of death, a plain of corpses as far as the eye can see.

It is a wasteland, probably somewhere in the steppes or worse, Siberia - a broken battlefield strewn with bodies of about a score and a half mercenaries - and the pieces of many more. Bone, sinew, torn clothing, weapons...all is drowned out by a sea of blood, whose overwhelming stench of iron and fear seared its way into my still fuzzy senses. Faces. Faces. Faces. So many faces - crushed, smashed, torn to shreds, with sightless eyes and empty sockets gazing in horror at the sight of certain oblivion.

Limbs - arms and legs - were severed, with a crimson mist spreading above as echoes of clashing metal and stricken screams linger in the evening air, with twilight from beyond the horizon providing this place with a strange illumination, part opaqued by smoke and embers coming from the ground itself.

It looks...beautiful Such destruction, such violence, like flowers of evil blooming in this most desolate plain...

"Ha...haha...hahaha..."

Laughter. Some sound from the horizon. A sound of life mixing with the sizzle-flash-rumble of destruction. Who? Who is laughing?

'Haha...ah, I see...hahahahaha...it is I who laughs!'

I don't know why. I don't know how, but somehow I found the energy, despite the overwhelming cascade of thoughts and emotions washing over me. Dissonance...cognitive dissonance. That had to be it...

And for some reason, at the sight of blood, I was extremely thirsty. Was it because of the tension or the excitement...or the darkness? The burning in my throat is incredibly hot. This place is filled with death and my lips curl into a smile. Barely suppressing my ecstasy, I continue to stare at the corpses...feeling that just at this instant, I am alive.

Sizzle-Flash! Rumble…

Yes. I am alive, unlike the man that pled for mercy, unlike those magi who tried to kill us all. Unlike those broken scraps of metal, ceramic and glass that were once golems. And by the law of the Nasuverse's moonlit world, Kill or be killed, the only law that mattered, I had killed.

'Ha...hahaha...haha...so if my hands are stained with blood...then I will wade through an ocean! What is another life when I am already a murderer? To live, one must do evil - must deny others life and liberty - that is the truth of the world - the only truth that matters. And I. WILL. NOT. DIE!'

I look at the war golem standing next to me.

"Take me to your destroyed brethren," I utter, weakly but imperiously, focusing my will as much as I can.

Sidequest: Absorb prana from power cores of destroyed golems. Command war golem to absorb what prana is left afterwards.

SeiKeo
December 20th, 2011, 12:36 AM
The golem takes you to the desk piled with papers. You don't know what to pick, so you take the first one you see. It is a document written in German or some other language you should not know. But you can understand every word of it... as if its knowledge has always been a part of you. The document that you picked up on random turns out to be a report on the progress of homunculus growth.

You have some suspicions that this is a report on your growth from when you are a fetus to how you are now. There are many areas that you cannot understand, but you can see several parts very clearly: the part when the magic crest is transfer to you, the part when you are altered beyond what could be considered human, and the part where you are each implanted or born with... some kind of furnace for prana inside your bodies. There are notes at the end about how to use prana to activate the engine within you to create more.

There are also some doodles at the side, because apparently Rogue Einzbern only made these records based on the habits forced upon him by his teachers.

Minisidequest: try and speedread the documents, and figure out what the heck is going on.

deviatesfish
December 20th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Luna

...Ah... I want get carried around too! But... the other golems don't look like they are working...

Side Quest: Look for Something to wear.


Chryse

Minisidequest: try and speedread the documents, and figure out what the heck is going on.

You shift through the documents and learn more about your origins.

You are a special type of Homunculus that Rogue Einzbern put all his resources into making, and perhaps even most of his body and soul. He had stolen materials from the Einzbern Stronghold, of the still growing Irisviel Model, used for a template for you to grow from. You are to grow about half as quickly as regular humans, which should also reduce your soul deterioration by the same amount, due to his calculation. These are just projections however, so nothing is certain. However, if he is correct, you could easily live up to five hundred years without doing anything outside of the mundane.

Other than the Irisviel Template he used to make you, he infused you with a piece of his own soul, which is being integrated into your body. But it has been expected to interfere with the knowledge inherited by the Irisviel Model, thus all you have are their combined ability for their language thus far. He has tried to instill in you with the power of Einzbern magi, of both physical strength and magical strength, but there was only so much he could do as one person.

...In fact, you could say that you are imperfect, failure homunculi, because you are neither as strong as the strongest Einbzern nor do you have the capacity for magecraft as models like Ilyasviel. This is however, due to the human quality that you have inherited from your soul. You are expected to actually grow... but how much, he did not say.

you shift through some other documents and notice a thick folder full of dangerous looking people, labeled 'Enemies'. Apparently there are a lot of people you will be expecting sooner or later.


Skadi

Sidequest: Absorb prana from power cores of destroyed golems. Command war golem to absorb what prana is left afterwards.

The War Golem hears and obeys, stomping through the harsh weather with you in its arms. It carries you to the first of its broken brethren, another Golem that had only its legs and torso... everything from the chest and up was melted into black slag. The smell assaults your nose, a strong smell of sulfur and ash and iron. It seems like your senses are greater than anything a human can be capable of, because you could actually tell apart what materials the Golem was made of, though you couldn't label them all by smell alone.

It was a powerful fire spell that destroyed this one, to have melted even part of its core to some kind of watery glass.

The Golem that carried you opened its mouth and bit down on the crystal. The bright baby-blue light that shone in the crystal left and surged into the Golem's mouth, leaving only something that looked like broken quartz. The Golem did this with one more destroyed Golem, leaving still two more broken Golem remains, but it seemed like it was at its full capacity. its eyes were bright enough to be small flashlights and it stood, holding you in this cold tundra, waiting for further orders.

alfheimwanderer
December 20th, 2011, 01:54 AM
Luna


Side Quest: Look for Something to wear.

The room is spartan and bare, as one might expect of a research base - and for how undeniably brilliant (if somewhat insane) the rogue Einzbern was, he was not the sort to think much of necessities. This base was something of a last refuge, and his priority was shaping your new bodies, not on providing for after, so there wasn't much in the way of clothing - particularly not in your size.

You do find some lab coats in the lab, however. They are far too big for you, and the texture feels strange against your form's all too sensitive skin, but at least it is something.

100%

Skadi

'Fascinating...' I thought to myself as I saw the War Golem devour the cores of its fallen brethren, replenishing its stores of prana from that simple expedient. 'That's...so simple. So brilliant...but then it is concentrated prana, isn't it...and these are constructs...'

Constructs.

Powerful, sleek weapons of war beyond the strength of any mere human. Creations of the moonlit world that did not need to adhere to the paltry laws of nations or mundane civilization. Monster...

'...like me.'

Yes...such cruel joy and sorrow. In this vessel, I was free of my ailments - of the things which would have doomed me to an early death as a human. Humanity...it was was strange how that species liked to believe itself so powerful, and yet they could be so short-sighted, so ignorant, so inhumane to their kin. For had they not created engines of war that dwarfed the power of any spell? Had they not slaughtered millions of their own because it was 'right' - because it was 'just'? Had they not been a blight upon the world, so much so, that they killed Gaia in one possible future?

In the end, stripped of all the trappings and niecities of civilization, that was what humanity embraced, even as they abhorred the possibility of their own death.

They lived by killing. Whether by plundering the life of the earth or the resources of their brethren, by crushing the hopes and dreams of their young and their elderly, parasites upon the world who did not give anything back.

And yet they had the unmitigated gall, the audacity to call non-humans monsters - to try to exterminate us because we, the demons, we the homunculi, we the elementals, did not fit into their little human-centric view of the universe, because we killed them for survival while they killed us for fun.

'They always did enjoy denying the truth, even as they spouted platitudes about the truth setting them free...?'

Well then. It seemed that because we were here, perhaps we could end this cycle by destroying the leadership of the Einzbern, by becoming all they once dreamed. As in the movies and media humanity so loved, they created us, and we would end them to stop the threat to our existence.

...because in the end, that was the true moral of every human tale, whether it was of terminators and rogue AIs, demons or ancient beats: humans were a threat and must be dealt with.

'And deal with them...I will...'

I reached out my hand to one of the prana cores from one of the broken Golems, trying to absorb the power into myself as I could. I needed heat. I needed warmth. I needed energy of some sort inside me, for I could not keep running off of sheer emotion, no matter what I believed.
Light flared.

A beautiful blue light - spiralling out like the Origin itself - the paradox spiral of existence...

Sidequest: Absorb the prana of one broken core into myself. Command Golem to bring the last back to the base to empower the other working golem.

deviatesfish
December 20th, 2011, 02:40 AM
Luna

I'm hungry. I try to speak, but only a whimper comes out.

Sidequest: Look for food.



Skadi

Sidequest: Absorb the prana of one broken core into myself. Command Golem to bring the last back to the base to empower the other working golem.

You try to absorb the prana in the broken power core, but nothing happens. You don't need to have any pull on the prana within the core to move it into your body. However, you are able to command your Golem to grab these two power cores back into the Bunker.

The other working War Golem is being ridden by another Homunculus. You may need to talk to her first before trying to power the other Golem.

alfheimwanderer
December 20th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Luna


Look for food

You try to speak, no sound comes out. Your throat is dry and parched - you'd think it wouldn't be, after you were floating in that fluid for who knows how long, but it is. You are in need of something to quench it, something to make the feeling of sandpaper and glass in your windpipe disappear.

And so you look around for something in the room.

There isn't much, as you might expect, but you do manage to find a few MREs (Meals Ready to Eat - Military Rations), apparently stolen from one base or another, as well as fruit. While most homunculi don't need to eat if they have prana, you don't seem to have that option yet, given your magic circuits aren't open.

http://media.mcclatchydc.com/static/images/kabulmarket-462.jpg

...and you find a container of water. Pure, blessed, water.

Its simple, and its clean...and it is the best thing you have ever tasted in your life.

100%

Skadi

I felt like cursing as I could not draw any prana whatsoever. That...that just shouldn't be possible. A homunculus was by definition a Magic Circuit with a humanish form, not a human which might or might not have Magic Circuits (or might or might not have them open), and so should be powered solely by prana, without the need for food or drink unless the life form actually desired it. So how...

'...maybe that modified part of the class description has a point to it...'

Age should have been nothing for a homunculus, and yet...I was so frail, so weak...so human.

Once more, I was a child, trapped in a cage of flesh and prana - in a form I had long forgotten how to use. My applied knowledge, my training, my movement arts...anything more than the basics I'd have to relearn, remaster. Even my theoreticals were hazy...

'Such frustration...such pain...'

And with that I was carried back into the bunker by the War Golem, where I was brought face to face with another homunculus riding the second War Golem.

"Hello," I greet simply, looking around the room to see my compatriots in various states of discomfiture. Apparently, none of them had succeeded in magic mastery quite so early yet, so we were in the same boat, sharing one crest and all. Besides, if it was us against the world, I'd better work on making bonds. "I bring gifts."

I gestured to the prana cores my war golem was carrying.

"Have your golem consume them to restore itself to full power - we can't use them ourselves."

Sidequest: Read Material on Table
Sidequest: Give Prana cores to other golem

Weekly Goal #1: Open Magic Circuits - as Homunculi this should be our first priority, given that it is literally what we are and what keeps us alive...

Brynhilde
December 20th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Verdandi

A shiver ran down my spine and I close my eyes, enduring the piercing agony of the glass shards that marred my sensitive skin.

The golem lies motionless next to me. Death - even though it was never living to begin it, I felt its icy grasp on the golem's metal and rock frame, sensed the way control had slipped out of that earthern body. With this new, artificial body, senses seemed to be magnified to no end. The cuts on my skin hurt; every throbbing of my heart reminded me of my physical restraints; and this spent golem before me - He was a machine just as I am. Built for a function. Given a life to fulfil its duty. Now that he was done, he was destinied to nothing but oblivion.

Would that fate, too, come upon me soon?

With shaking hands, I check over my body to make sure no shards of glass remained embedded within my flesh. Then, softly, hesitantly, I reached out and placed my hand over the head of the deceased golem - as if I was laying a poor little child to sleep.

I could hear the sound of the other four homunculi, some venturing out, some pondering within. But what difference does that make?

What can assure me that I'm not another tool that my 'maker' wishes to play with, a doll that is only designed for one function?

With an angry, guttural growl in my throat, I stood up the best I could, and shuffled slowly toward the central table where one of the others was currently reading up some notes.

I wish for the truth. Even if it may destroy me.

Side quest: Join Chryse in reading the document and make some sense out of them..

Blackdeath6031
December 20th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Loki

Huh. I see...

Musing as I mentally take notes on how the golems are acting, I feel a sudden urge to experiment with it.

However, what to try it on - and whether I should waste their energy on some measly test.
Those two questions swirl in my mind, and like a vacuum cleaner clearing up any speck of the blackish dirt of ideas or justifications to use it on, my mind responds to those two questions with nothing but a blank area of space.

I let out a sigh and give up.
Another homunculus managed to stand, and was heading to where another one was...reading?
I know not for sure.

However, I hear a whimper come from one of the other homunculi - the very same one which was mentioning their desire for ice cream.

Letting my thoughts slip, I open my mouth thoughtlessly and spit out the words as dirt threatened to blast-dry my throats insides.

"Bring."
Out of air...
Out of air out of air out of air.

I inhale a full breath, then entered a fit of coughing.
But in the end, my mind refused to listen.
Even when this very body cannot do as this mind tells it to.

"Bring. Food."
After that, I collapse, no longer capable of moving.
Much less thinking.

However, I notice that another one of the homunculi are attempting to do something with the core of a dead golem.
Curious, I decide to observe it, as well as anything else that occurs in the room.

Hopefully, I can gain full control of this body, so that I can join the others.

Sidequest: Observe surroundings for items of interest or details of note while awaiting results of the test.

Sidequests:

deviatesfish
December 20th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Luna

I turned to the homunculus while wear this nice, white labcoat I found. He was asking for food, so I gave him one of these food bars and an apple that was in a freezer or some kind of preserving container that had just lost power.

It looked like the others were settling in well, and already reading some of the stuff the Rogue Einzbern had left on the desk. I crept over to read too.

Side Quest: Offer the others food.

Goal: Light morning exercises to accustom ourselves to these bodies.

Verdandi

Side quest: Join Chryse in reading the document and make some sense out of them..


Skadi

Sidequest: Read Material on Table
Sidequest: Give Prana cores to other golem


The two of you also scamper over to the desk covered in files and books. Other than the file titled Record of the Rogue's Children, there were several files of some interest to your survival. A thick folder was filled with files about different enemies... several mercenary groups, mercenary magi (one file even had some information on a certain Kiritsugu Emiya), and the forces of the Einzbern themselves.

Rogue Einzbern seems to switch between gloating about how he took advantage of Ol' Acht's kindness and his guilt for betraying the Einzbern. However, either way, he always concludes with being proud to create something that none of the Einbzern has before... something about homunculi with a human's ability to adapt and grow and evolve.

Some of these files made no sense, and many of these books certainly.

There is one that seems to be hand made. Upon closer inspection, it is a notebook written by Rogue Einzbern himself, 'Common Knowledge My Children Should Know'. It has a simple outline of the world from his perspective, that is everyone is out to get him and stifle his scientific genius. He has some details on the organizations like the Magus Association and the Church, but nothing that you don't already know, except for some of the locations and details on their structure. He also dedicated a huge chapter to the structure of the Einzbern... but after that, nothing else.

The rest of the book seems to be an introductory course to how to use magecraft. There is a section on learning how to use your prana, how to make more prana using your body, and how to preserve it. There are some basic techniques of using prana and some basic hypnosis techniques and...

...There is a chapter on the use of Wishcraft. It seems too difficult for you to understand at this moment, however.

There was another book that was hand written under the pile. It was Rogue Einzbern's journal, but it seems to have skipped many important details. Most of it was on his joy at creating 'his children', which are you, right?

The other Golem consumed both cores, leavng empty, shattered crystals. It seems to also be at full output now. There was a thin file that gave some information on the Golems, how they are maintained and commanded. There is some kind of trigger that Rogue Einzbern planted n your bodies that allows you to take control of these Golems readily. Each has a battery life for about a quarter of a year before needing a recharge.


Loki

Sidequest: Observe surroundings for items of interest or details of note while awaiting results of the test.


The Golem doesn't move... it is already dead.

But one of the other ones that is holding a homunculus (Chryse) moved. It dropped Chryse roughly and went to the container where another homunculus had taken some food and moved the entire container to you.

alfheimwanderer
December 20th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Luna


Side Quest: Offer the others food.Each of the others takes a piece of fruit, as well as one of the MREs - each of which is a full meal, already cooked, with warm up optional (but oftentimes preferable, depending on the entree). Each package is about a 30 cm long, 15 wide, and 6 cm thick, resembling a giant candy bar as it is wrapped in brown plastic and sealed at the ends. There are several dishes available, but most seem to be Omelets with Ham, Chicken w/Cavatelli, Pasta with veggies, or other such - again, it was raided from a military base, so there weren't many options.
http://www.mreinfo.com/images/mrecontents/mre23-1.jpghttp://www.mreinfo.com/images/mrecontents/mre23-5.jpg

A pound cake, crackers, chicken with tortoiseshell pasta and tomato, even some candy and what looks like koolaid mix. Most make the wise choice of just going for the crackers, pound cake and fruit to start with, given that the digestive tract of a newly coined homunculus isn't the best.
100%

Skadi

I gratefully accepted the MRE and an apple from one of my fellow homunculi, taking care only to eat what I thought the GI tract could handle. While I had heard mixed reviews about MREs (and had even eaten them before on occasion), I knew enough about anatomy and physiology to know that if this was truly this body's first meal, then eating something...very heavy might not go as well as I'd like. True, without the ability to simply create and consume prana, I needed a more substantial form of energy, but...I also needed to be able to keep it down while I studied the documents spread out before me.

Aside from power and sustenance, information would keep me - and the rest of us - alive. That much had been true in small roleplaying games where the stakes were simply the life or death of a character one had rolled up - and here the stakes were even higher.

If we lost, if we made a misstep, then we would be consigned to oblivion solely because of our circumstances.

To hell with that.

As if I'd let some mongrel who had trapped my soul in this body - probably killing off my old vessel in the process - gain even that final victory over me. I knew that by surviving, I'd be playing into his plans to take over the Einzbern, so that his legacy might inherit the earth, but what choice did I have?

Mercenaries groups, mercenary magi (including the magus killer himself), the Church, the Einzberns - all these would be arrayed against us to begin with.

Against that, we numbered five.

Five immature homunculi (and two war golems)who stood against the world, without even the basic foundation in the thaumaturgical arts that homunculi were supposed to have.

'But in exchange...a lifespan of nearly half a millennium, if not more?'

A homunculus' strength married to a human being's ability to grow...

...it was rather...intriguing.

And of course, Wishcraft, the art of the Einzbern, though in my limited state I could not fully comprehend it - not without establishing my background in prana generation, use and preservation, which I would need after opening circuits.

What we had wasn't much by any measure, and certainly not when compared to the overwhelming might and numbers of our enemies, but we'd manage.

There was that old saying, after all...live and let die.

First though, I looked around the room, studying each of those who had become my unspoken comrades in this war for survival.

Some seem healthy enough. One is clothed. One is injured. One is male.

We have a lot of work to do.


Sidequest: Try to find something to treat my injured comrade's wounds. After all, I know full well that our strength as life forms tends to be a bit weaker then normal.

Sidequest: Get dressed, offer my fellow homunculi clothing.

Blackdeath6031
December 20th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Loki

The test was successful. The golem responded.
...However, it dropped and injured one of the other homunculi in the process.
"A-Ah....sorry! I didn't expect it to--"

cough cough cough
cough hack choke

....Eh?
I didn't think my voice would return so quickly.

But...I didn't expect such a side effect...

I...don't know how to react.

To ask for food for one of my comrades.
But then be given food by that very same person.


"T-Thank you." I rasp out, knowing full well that my voice was crackling and my throat burning.

"But..."

I take some of the food, then pass a few back to her.

"You're the one whose hungry, no?"

With that, I look at the food that I took. Fruit - an orange to be exact - seemed to be the wisest choice, despite my own genuine dislike for them (citruses especially).
Taking what seems to be the easiest to handle and eat with my current condition, I push it into my mouth and attempt to eat it.

Sidequest: Eat orange

Goal: Attempt to obtain full, comfortable control of body

SeiKeo
December 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Chryse

The others wander over, seeing the documents. Bearing food and clothes, too? Good. We would need those.


But one of the other ones that is holding a homunculus (Chryse) moved. It dropped Chryse roughly and went to the container where another homunculus had taken some food and moved the entire container to you.

!

He dropped me. What doesn't register is quite the fact that much of the skin of my elbows and feet has been torn off.

The only thing that I know that I can count on in this world, the one thing that welcomed me when I arrived...

No. You are not leaving me. You cannot. ​My literal rock, my guide... I cannot tolerate this. Come back to me. I focus all of my pitiful might into my mind, directing it at the golem. The command, to return. The rage, at the abandonment. The desire, for the return. I tried desperately to channel that all into the stone, forcing it to my will.

Sidequest: accept the food and clothes

Goal: Figure out how to bind the golem to me and make it stronger

Brynhilde
December 21st, 2011, 06:39 AM
Verdandi

Madness. This is madness.

From the words this man has left behind, I felt a lingering pride, an all-consuming ingenuity. An intelligence that had consumed his brain, twisted his soul, and drove him to the point of no return. A man like him will die sooner or later, driven to the abyss by his own hand, if not by that of an enemy. A crazed angel, a fallen genius; such seemed the man who created this flesh that now caged me.

His notes, meticulous and ambitious, overflew with his pride and knowledge. In his perfect plan, we were his tools of defiance and glory, reincarnations of his power made to be supreme over the world of the Einsberns as he knew it. Homunculi, and yet human. Perfect, and yet evolving. We were to be the epitome of his creations, the pinnacle of his life’s work, the zenith of all of the Einsbern craft – only that now, powerless as babes, we five newborn souls do not even have the means to clothe ourselves.

All he had left us were lists of enemies, to let us know the dangers of this world. He was not here to teach us and nurture us – no, except in the form of a few golems, which might have to serve as the bulwark of defence we’d have to rely on in the next few weeks at least. Reading through the documents, I found myself in a daze, both marvelling at his plans and schemes, and at the same time repelled by the thought of myself being used as such.

Others in the room now seemed far more active than me, alert, exploring. How are the souls of homunculi created? Are they born of the void and return to dust as humans are? Are they just like oblivious foals, children new to this harsh world? Perhaps, the recent excursion of one of them outside was simply to fulfil her impulse to see the world that surrounded her, and not a sign of her intelligence? Maybe they are all different from me – and are true homunculi by nature?

No. I swear I heard something about ‘ice cream’ just a while ago.

“Who are you?”

My voice grated out of my throat, cracked and rasping, barely audible in the cacophony that still seemed to rage outside. Yet I’m certain that at least one of them would have heard it, and hopefully would deign to reply.

Side quest: Speak to the others to ascertain if they’re also humans transported into the shells of the Einsbern homunculi.

Weekly goal: find some goddamn clot- learn the basics of magecraft forms useful in combat and keep myself in a healthy state

deviatesfish
December 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Luna



“Who are you?”


I heard her speak in a crackling voice. It must really hurt! Well, my throat seemed to hurt pretty bad too, like if I had just grown these vocal chords! But of course, I’d had them for almost a week, so perhaps lack of use…

I wonder why we didn’t come out crying as babies…?

Ah, that’s right! I turned to her and smiled as widely as I could, “I’m Luna!”



Skadi

Sidequest: Try to find something to treat my injured comrade's wounds. After all, I know full well that our strength as life forms tends to be a bit weaker than normal.

Sidequest: Get dressed, offer my fellow homunculi clothing.

You are able to find some kind of mundane first aid kit, but there isn’t anything else here. There is a small booklet on how to repair Homunculi and a rather thick tome on healing the human body however…

You feel itchy. No, perhaps that’s not the correct word for it. You feel like you have an invisible rash that stung like needles where ever the lab coat you donned touched. It was irritating, but after a few minutes, you could actually feel it fading. A human would not be this sensitive, but a human would also be unable to feel their own body grow adapt to their surroundings. You feel a little weaker, but warmer.

Your fellow homunculi also put on lab coats, like a troop of Scientist Ilyasviels.


Chryse

Sidequest: accept the food and clothes


Om nom nom.


Verdandi

Side quest: Speak to the others to ascertain if they’re also humans transported into the shells of the Einsbern homunculi.


You try to speak, and at first you seem to have trouble doing so. But soon your voice is no longer cracking and your throat is no longer hurting. You find out that they too are souls transported into these shells. But according to the notes, there’s something more to it than that…


Loki

Sidequest: Eat orange


The orange peel was hard to remove. Your nails were barely strong enough to do it. Your nose stung when your nails pierced the skin of the fruit, and you could even feel your skin tingle strangely at the sensation that was both stinging and sticky. Your mouth salivates as the clean scent of the orange floats through your nostrils. A small squirt of citrus juice shoots out of the fruit, sprinkling your cheek. Your tiny, pink tongue unconsciously darts out to take a soft lick of the juices rolling down your skin.

The taste… it was as if you were reborn to taste it for the first time.

You can taste all that makes up this fruit, the minerals and the very cells within. The juice is bitter and sweet, salty and tangy, warm and cold… you taste everything of it. This sensation is drastically unlike anything you have experienced as a human. If you were a mature human, you might have just overloaded your taste buds and had an orgasmic experience.

Thankfully, you are not a mature human experiencing everything you just did. But you seem to have spaced out for a few seconds. It was delicious. You can see the similar reaction on the other homunculi’s faces as well as they took their first bite of fruit.

deviatesfish
December 21st, 2011, 07:32 AM
Week Two

Goal: Open Magic Circuits - as Homunculi this should be our first priority, given that it is literally what we are and what keeps us alive...
Goal: Light morning exercises to accustom ourselves to these bodies.
Goal: Attempt to obtain full, comfortable control of body.
Goal: Figure out how to bind the golem to me and make it stronger.
Goal: Learn the basics of magecraft forms useful in combat and keep myself in a healthy state.

The first week was a tough week. Your small group had been able to survive, though barely. Food has become scarce; there is less than half of the container’s worth of food left.

The winter is harsh, and it has forced you to stay indoors for now. But soon, the lack of resources and food, may force you to leave. There is a pile of dead mercenaries outside, still rotting. It is not could enough to cause them to be preserved, so on some nights, you hear predators outside. The War Golems seem to keep things at bay, as well as some kind of half formed Bounded Field.

You can feel the Bounded Field, that is either half broken or half made, but you can feel little else. It would be some kind of defense, if you knew how to fix it.

Your friends and you have been able to use the first section of the Rogue Einzbern’s notes to open yourselves to magecraft. That is, you have discovered your magic circuits. Due to your young age, the pain caused each of you to faint for an unspecified amount of time. You have come out unharmed, but when you attempted to use your magic circuits, it was day, and now it is night.

You have been able to take better control of your bodies and begin to perform light exercises and stretches that cause your body’s strength and speed to increase dramatically over the week. No human or homunculus could do this at this growth rate, but this could also be because of the way you were designed. You have full control of your body now, but you are still pretty weak compared to an average human.

You have been unable to bind these War Golems to yourselves. Nothing in the journals says anything about binding them, because they are already bound to you as much as they could be. You have a piece of the Rogue within you, and the Rogue had bound the Golems to him, so each of you is as bound to these Golems as the others.

You have been keeping yourself healthy and doubly so thanks to your opening of your magic circuits. The Engines within your bodies have been started by your prana, and now it is constantly generating energy. It seems to be only generating a little, but that amount seems to grow every day. Such as you are however, that you are children, you required more sleep to be healthy than an adult. That means, you have not been able to do much more than learn how to channel your prana into other things. You have learned how to infuse the Golems with prana, but due to some damage or something that happened earlier this week, many of them are missing their cores.

Still, there are three dead Golems in the bunker that are rather unharmed and could be infused with prana back to life. However, the energy needed may be too much for your bodies.

alfheimwanderer
December 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM
Skadi

In my past life, as well as this current one, I found that I loved the winter: the season of death where the world was stripped of all its illusions, where the trees were denuded of foliage and where the heavens poured down rain, sleet, or simple snow, depending where one lived. The bright colours of spring, summer, and autumn faded, reds and greens and yellows giving way to beiges, greys, blacks - and all the hues and variations in between. Subtle differences in shade and hue, usually overpowered by the glaring contrast of the rainbow, quickly became apparent...and each place on earth approached the season of the end slightly differently.

'In a way, its like Tolstoy wrote in Anna Karenina: Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.'

The same could be said of nations, communities, individuals, with all their flaws and insecurities laid bare before the sight of death and impending end, when the blinding fire of life dimmed. Most people liked to be surrounded by other living things, to walk in the light and know the world was nice and orderly, that God was in his heaven and all was right with the world.

Hearing this, I would usually laugh.

There was no order - that was merely an illusion that humanity liked to cling to in order to make sense of the world. There was no light - only short-sightedness - since in the end, all that was dust returned to dust, all that was ash returned to ash, void to void. In the end, entropy would reign over any attempt to create something lasting, whether it was an individual trying to live forever through a legacy, a nation trying to set itself up as a supreme power, or an organization (like the Association) trying to maintain the status quo and prevent the decay of their art over time.

Ah, futility in the face of cold, impersonal logic.

Watching them struggle against the odds, against other humans, against the world for the sake of their one and only meagre life was like watching deformed, deluded fledglings try to take flight from the safety of a nest, only to watch as their necks broke on impact with the ground - watching as the lives they so desperately clung to were extinguished as a result of trying to achieve the impossible...it was...entertaining.

At the same time, I was once human myself, and so I could understand why humans chose to resist these odds, since without the comfortable illusion that their insignificant little lives actually mattered in the grand scheme of things, without that veil shielding them from the cruelty of the world - they would have given up, long ago, withering away like plants deprived of the fire of the sun.

'Not that they can't do great things, but they should realize that nothing is born without death - even in magecraft, that which so many desire to attain as a miracle, there is always some sacrificed. Something lost for something gained...'

Sacrifices of blood, time, energy - souls. A payment given to the reaper to stave off one's demise and try to balance the books of the universe with strange internal accounting practices that would never been approved by an outside audit.

And yet I could admire the beauty of their dreams, for the darkness was all-embracing, and all was born from darkness in the first place, even as humans turned themselves into torches, burning bright, burning fast, before inevitably being extinguished, blinding themselves to the world around them - save at the moments when their light grew dim.

...I was a child of winter once. A practitioner of chaos magick, and one who lived by the principles of chaos itself.

How appropriate then, was this new vessel's designation.

Skadi.

In Norse Mythology, a jotun and Goddess of Winter and Old Night, of the mountains and of pain, of the eternal darkness - the void - from which all were born and to which all would return in time. The goddess of the balanced scales, ensuring actions had consequences, that each would pay the price of their wyrd - yes, even the trickster which so long sought to flee.

'Appropriately enough, there is a Loki here, as well as a Verdandi...'

One would have thought that the rogue Einzbern would have used some systematic means of naming, drawing from one mythos, but his insanity and megalomania had not extended to that level of detail (causing me to smile thinly, as even novel writers, we with our own brand of megalomania, shaped those worlds to our wont down to the details).

"But what do I know?" I murmured to myself as I came out of a meditative trance. "I am but Skadi, a poor wanderer of the lost realm of Alfheim...now a svartálfr not a Ljósálfr, no longer writer, scholar, doctor, or tinkerer...just a monster made in the image of man."

Monsters bearing with them vast memories of the past, from the times of the Winter Saint, Archmagus Lizleihi Justica von Einzbern herself...even if these were sealed for now, locked away in the recesses of our minds, lest we be overwhelmed.

Goal: Try to unlock memories of magecraft and knowledge from the Justica core - particularly healing or wishcraft
Sidequest: Talk to the others about trying to infuse one of the dead golems with prana as a group
Sidequest: Talk to the others, especially the ones I treated for wounds, and try to find out more about them.

SeiKeo
December 21st, 2011, 08:14 PM
Chryse

What can change the nature of a man? Oh yes, the traditional nerd answer is faith. Faith is incorrect. All faith does simply displays one's nature. Truly, one does not have to look that hard to find the answer. The answer is simply a change. A change in the life of a man can either be so great as to utterly wrench his mind to a different state, or a small one can simply cascade as a butterfly and a tornado.

This was clearly the former: after all, I wasn't even a man anymore. And my mind had certainly been taken to a different state: it was now defined by rage.

My situation, and the change in it. My life wasn't the most amazing thing in the world, true, but it worked, and I was happy with it. And now... a Russian bunker, in the middle of nowhere, with enemies about to drop from the sky at any moment. There was no justice in this. Nor was there any logic. Magus, it was thought to you to be a good idea to extract a soul from nowhere to power your creations? It did not strike you as unsafe?

I shall revel in your absurdity. Did you wish for us, and me, to be your last testament? I refuse. Perhaps I shall accomplish what you wish me to, but it will certainly not be done in your name. I shall tear your works down upon me if I must, but your spirit shall not have the satisfaction.

There was a certain destiny to this fate I had assigned to myself. The old exile had seemed to break from his naming convention for 'me.' Chryse, lover of Ares. It would be fitting for me to take on the role of my husband, and destroy.

But for now, distasteful as it may be, no action could be taken. I simply lacked the power on my own to object. I would do what I could, with the tools I was given.

Goal: Unlock my latent magical knowledge, focusing on Wishcraft and Divination.
Sidequest: Investigate fortifying the bunker moreso.
Sidequest: ​Attempt to read the documents in their entirety: every last word.

deviatesfish
December 22nd, 2011, 03:07 AM
Luna

Kyaaa~! I look like Ilya! I’m going to go dance in the snow… wait! That would actually not be a good idea. Oh, but we have a pile of mercenaries… I wonder if they have anything of use on their bodies?

“Do any of you wanna go loot the dead people outside? They are starting smell and we might need to burn them,” I said to the group.

Side Quest: Loot the mercenaries.


Skadi

Sidequest: Talk to the others about trying to infuse one of the dead golems with prana as a group
Sidequest: Talk to the others, especially the ones I treated for wounds, and try to find out more about them.

You were unable to convince the group to help. Only Loki, the only male homunculi of the group, was willing to help out. The two of you try to infuse one of the cores with prana…

The two of you try to push your prana into the core causing it to move. You could barely see it because it happened so fast, but the thing pounded softly, then it darkened.

After a moment, it blinked and then the center of the darkened core glowed with a small ember of blue light. However, it kept draining energy, so quickly that you could not disengage.

Loki was fast enough to move away, but the thing drained you of your prana more than you would have liked. By the time you woke, it has already been more than a day. Your body is starved and you feel like you barely have anything left in your reserves at all.

You can start conversations with any of them, but at this time, all you learn from them is their names and that they all know about as much as you about what is going on.


Chryse

Sidequest: Investigate fortifying the bunker moreso.
Sidequest: ​Attempt to read the documents in their entirety: every last word.

You look through the bunker, trying to find a way to fortify it more.

It is a two floor bunker, where you were born in the underground ground level of the bunker and there is an above ground level. In the above ground level, you found some mounted weapons. There were two mounted gatling guns of some kind. They seem rather… antique. There was a modern looking sniper rifle and three pistols. There were several crates of ammunition too.

While looking around the halls that linked the top and bottom levels, you accidentally uncovered a small tunnel. It is large enough for you to crawl into, but several giant rats popped out of it. They were the size of house cats, with brown, dirty fangs.

Two of them were able to get on you before the War Golem arrived and squashed them between its fingers. One of them had been humping your inner thigh and left some grey liquids there. The other bit your forearm and left a long but not deep gash. You were able to treat it well enough, but it caused you to be slightly feverish for the rest of the week.

As you rested, you tried to read some of the files.

But your mind is still young. You were able to get several pages in, on a somewhat mundane mercenary group called the Blackwaters, before you fell asleep.

Later, when you woke up, it was Verdandi who woke you. She looked rather upset, and you can see why. You drooled on the documents and ruined half of them. The others don’t seem happy about this either.

alfheimwanderer
December 22nd, 2011, 04:48 AM
Skadi

There are few situations that I appreciated less than waking up to find myself starved and tired - especially when it was after failing a major objective. I didn't much care about my physical state after a smashing success, since the endorphins and exultation of victory usually overwhelmed any pain or fatigue I felt. In the wake of failure, however, my physical ailments were only amplified by physical aches, and so I found myself...rather annoyed.

'Useless. This body is such a useless vessel...I'm supposed to be a homunculus, a living circuit with more thaumaturgical potential than even some of the most powerful magi - and I couldn't even empower a golem...I'm pathetic. Worse than pathetic.'

I knew that it was an irrational thing to think, since this body had only been in operation for one week, and I was still getting used to it, but even so...

'...I need to become stronger. To push this engine to its limits and seize the power I need to crush those ignorant fools who hunt me...to at least be able to awaken this golem...'

If the others had helped...

...well, nothing to be done for it now, unfortunately.

For now I'd have to chat with some of the others and try to find out more about them. Obviously, I needed their help, so I would have to raise their affection points...
...after I got something to eat.

Sidequest: Find something to eat, preferably something with instant energy - a MRE and some fruit sound good.
Sidequest: Check the boundary field and see about finding a means to repair it
Sidequest: Talk to the others about the need for cooperation, since we're all in this together

Blackdeath6031
December 22nd, 2011, 06:03 AM
Loki

Another life.
Another body.
Another person's potential.
But the same, pathetic mind.

People here are intuitive. Creative. Adaptive.
They hold themselves strong in spite of these sudden changes in their lives.
Some might find it a boon. Others, a curse.

However, we know for a fact that we are alone in the world.
We lack the support other children have from their parents, or other guardians.
We lack the warm shelter which we can call home.
We lack the innocence which other newborns possess.

Yes.
All we have are these war-golems.
All we have is this cold bunker.
And all we have is ourselves.

For me, I'd have embraced death by now - perhaps taken my life.
But like in the real world, my hate for humanity - or perhaps my love for it? - has driven my mind away from suicide.
To curse their greed and to rob them of their possessions.

However, in both worlds, both this and the one now lost to me, I am weak.
No...not just weak.
Weak and pathetic.
And a hypocrite, no less.

The lack of will to improve myself.
The lack of will to survive.
The lack of passion to follow my interests.

But to these people I have no choice but to hide these things.
Yes, I must deceive them into thinking I could prove useful.

So that I do not become a burden to them.

But even then, I had run away even when I had agreed to assist... the female module (Skadi, was it?) with reactivating the 'dead' war-golems.
Why had I not tried to pry her off?

Even when I tell myself that I shall act in a certain way - even to comply with my morales - my body lacks the will to listen.
Why?
Why, I ask?
Why do I have to be such a...

...a hypocrite? A trickster?


.... .... .... Heh.
In a sense, this shell's designation is befitting of me.
'Loki'. The Norse god of trickery and deception.

Perhaps I can release myself in this world.
Freely.

No longer shall I wallow in self-pity and refuse to act upon it.
This time, I'll work to be me.


Goal: Attempt to discover and unlock innate capabilities in regards to magecraft - focusing on illusion magecraft, shapeshifting or other deceptive capabilities as well as wishcraft
Sidequest: Attempt to dry the drooled-on documents and skim over it for some new information
Sidequest: Provide Skadi with some food

deviatesfish
December 23rd, 2011, 03:54 AM
Luna

I think I'll go bother Skadi.

Sidequest: Follow Skadi around and poke her unnecessarily at awkward times.


Luna

Side Quest: Loot the mercenaries.


After looting all the bodies, the bunker now had a pile of weapons. You and your fellow homunculi can choose from the inventory of this pile to take what you want.


Skadi

Sidequest: Find something to eat, preferably something with instant energy - a MRE and some fruit sound good.
Sidequest: Check the boundary field and see about finding a means to repair it

You savor your meal, but having the same thing every day has started to become a little bland.

The boundary field is a complex seven fold field that protects only half of the seventy meter radius around the bunker. The north and west sides of the bunker are unprotected. The boundary field seems to be tapping into a small leyline, which is tapped to its fullest to fuel this defense. However, due to the flawed or damaged design, it has been leaking most of its energy into its surroundings, causing a hard to penetrate fog to rise up about forty meters outside of the bunker on all sides. The fog seems impenetrable.

You try to repair it, but it is beyond your skill level. Pouring prana into the boundary field has done nothing but preserve it a while longer. As you study it further, you realize that it is slowly deteriorating. In about three or four months, it will be almost all gone.


Loki

Sidequest: Attempt to dry the drooled-on documents and skim over it for some new information
Sidequest: Provide Skadi with some food

Skadi receives your food and eats at a slower pace than she did last week.

The drooled-on documents are nearly completely ruined. That's the problem when all the documents have names at the same place, and the names are all smudged. You could try to dry it out, but these documents seem to be old to begin with, so they may be of little help. At the bottom of the documents, you do find an update to the Kiritsugu Emiya file.

It seems like, according to the Rogue Einzbern, the day that you were born was about one and a half years after Kiritsugu had joined the Einzbern. There is not exact date, but this would place you about a little over seven years ahead of the fourth Holy Grail War of Fuyuki.

alfheimwanderer
December 23rd, 2011, 05:05 AM
Luna


Sidequest: Follow Skadi around and poke her unnecessarily at awkward times.

Skadi seems to have become a little listless, following her failure to empower the golem. She takes long walks outside, walking in a seventy meter radius around the bunker and mumbling to herself a bit, shaking her head. She seems tired, wanting to do some kind of exercise beyond the shelter/prison of the old base - and she doesn't seem to mind the company much.

You catch her working through what seem to be the form of a martial art at one point, and when disturbed, she intercepts one of the pokes with more speed than her frame should have.

"You remind me of someone," she says after a few moments. "Back in the world we were from...but that was a life time ago, when I was not Skadi but a wanderer of Alfheim..."

100%

Skadi

I sigh, looking down at the ration of a Meal Ready to Eat and fruit that I'd gotten used to consuming day in and day out. Fortunately, the stock of MREs did include some variety, with different meats, sauces, pastas, potatoes and such - but after a while, everything started to taste the same. In my old life I had been very fond of cooking, someone who loved variety, spice, the multiplicity of flavours that could be reached with simple ingredients.

Not these...survival rations.

Compared to nothing, they were amazing, but compared to what I was used to whipping up...it was like eating sand. I would even prefer instant ramen, after a fashion, for while I didn't particularly care for it on its own, it served as an excellent base for other dishes - especially when I was a lazy college student. Add some bean sprouts, scallions, a can of bamboo shoots, perhaps ham/chicken/some other meat, and then some romaine lettuce, and it would be rather filling. Or perhaps a bit of curry, together with some cilantro and peppers, for a delectable spicy dish.

When I didn't have rice to use, the noodles worked just fine as a substitute...but I was rambling.

I was...

Drip. Drip. Drip.

There was something wet on my cheeks, something warm, as little blotches of moisture appeared on the cold grey stone of the base's floor. Funny - I didn't remember spilling something on myself, or any of the precious water that I needed to survive.

What...what was it?

...tears?

Surely...I wasn't...crying?

'Useless...I really am useless. I used to be able to do so much - and for all that, for all I learned and experienced...what use am I?'

The bounded field was better without my attempt to fix it anyway, since a "fixed" field would leave two sides of the bunker unprotected. Broken, it protected us - if I had fixed it, I would have doomed us all, as we didn't have the skill to defend ourselves.

'I need to get stronger...'

"Hey Loki," I said weakly, looking up at the footsteps of another homunculus. "Thanks for the food."

Sidequest: Find a knife and learn to use it with this body
Sidequest: Check on everyone, make sure they're not getting sick
Sidequest: Try to get everyone to take walks, so they don't get stircrazy.

Brynhilde
December 24th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Verdandi

Sitting crosslegged in the corner of the bunker, I chewed impassively upon the meals provided.

My palate had never been a picky one. In fact, a lifetime ago, my motto during college had been 'stuff's good as long as it's edible'. Such an attitude served me well nowadays, with me not missing the delicacies of the world as much as my companions. As long as nutrition is still being put into my body - and anything is better than parenteral nutrition - I am perfectly content with the energy intake given to my body.

That had probably reduced my anxiety when it came to such comforts that many took for granted. True, many here may have suffered through hardships in life, saw much destruction, but perhaps none have constantly lived with the threat of despair and death as I had.

For now, after the initial stages of denial and anger, I was simply glad to be alive.

The unfortunates of birth had taken away too much from me. The frailties of my body had denied too many of my dreams. I had given up, forfeited, many paths that I craved in times past. Walking down the road of my life, I had chosen my destiny simply out of necessity and not of inclination. My life would have been a good one - a smooth, flat road that leads right into the bright future, so bright that I can see all the way to the grave.

The Rogue Einsbern possessed a dark sense of humour at best. Verdandi, the Norn of the Present, the goddess of fates that took care of the occurrences in this instant. She was not far sighted and could not see the fates of men, nor was she all-knowing and understood the roots of time, yet she knew all the wonders of the moment, the unpredictabilities of every second. She is to be worshipped not out of fear or reverence, but out of hope - the hope that the decisions of this moment, the lives we choose to live, would reverberate through the cosmos and reach infinite potentials as we step towards the uncertain future.

This body may be weak, but I had been guaranteed by the documents that it will grow. Throughout my life, I had always been acutely aware of the limitations of my flesh - something I no longer have to be constrained by. Though we are now locked in this Russian bunker, surrounded by corpses and expired golems and metres of thick concrete and steel, I feel as if this new life, this new world, was literally within my reach. As if my fingertips would brush against that radiant possibility just by reaching out, and with the blessings of the goddess of the present I may grasp it all.

"Why, thank you, rogue Einsbern..." I whisper to myself as I cast my eyes upwards, seeing only the gray ceiling of the bunker but feeling the crisp and blue winter sky beyond. "By putting us into this position, you may have brought out the best of us. Of course, provided the worst of us doesn't prevail first."

Finishing up the last few morsels of the dreary meal, I stood up and prepared to head outside.

Perhaps I might do a little exploring myself, after all.

Side quests:
1. Find any weapons available in the bunker (preferably guns) and practice to become proficient in it.
2. Explore the surroundings of the bunker and assess for any signs of human activity in the vicinity.
3. Practice further the channelling of prana and look to learn more about the Einsbern Wishcraft.
4. Talk with my companions to hear about their attitudes towards our predicament.

Blackdeath6031
December 26th, 2011, 04:17 AM
Loki

"No problem." I grin.
"We're all in this together aren't we..."

My voice trailed off before I could finish with her name, as I remember something I had heard from her mouth not so long ago (though eavesdropping unintentional, I tell you!)
"You remind me of someone. Back in the world we were from...but that was a life time ago, when I was not Skadi but a wanderer of Alfheim..."

Thoughtlessly, I ended my rhetorical question not with 'Skadi' intoned to sound like the rhetorical question it is...

"....Alfheimwanderer...?"

...But rather with the handle of one I had respected on the forums I frequented often, intoned to sound that an incredulous question coming from a person who had realised a jiffy too late that he had blurted out something taboo.

Which perhaps might have been similar to the case at hand.

But, what if, I wonder, each of these people actually were...

No, no...
I can't be sidetracked by silly thoughts like these.

"Ah, sorry." I bowed, trying to apologise to the girl profusely.
"What am I doing, calling people weird names..."

Before anything can happen, I still need to piece together what our complete situation is...

Sidequests:

1) Join Verdandi in exploring the surroundings of the bunker and the search for weapons
2) Search for more books or educational resources

alfheimwanderer
December 26th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Skadi

I stiffened as I heard the name AlfheimWanderer spoken aloud, a name I had not expected to hear ever again - and certainly not in this blighted place. Warily, I turned my gaze upon the one named...Loki, the one who had failed me during the attempt to recharge the golem. If he had deduced one of my old handles - one that I only used for fanfiction and on two forums - then...did that mean the soul currently inhabiting that vessel was someone I had known in my previous life.

'No. Why. Why. WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY?! I left that behind! That weak self...that dying self...that pitiful, wretched self...didn't I leave him behind?'

It seemed even here I had not escaped, as these others...had they all followed me?

Were they all exiles who had been brought into the universe of Type-MOON through their knowledge of it?

Exiles from...

...dare I say it?

Did I really want to know?

...no, I didn't, but it was something I had to know, to be sure of.

"...Beast's Lair, eh?" I asked, staring at the other with an intense red gaze, the edge in my voice not at all fitting the innocent appearance of my young vessel as I regarded the one trying to apologize. "Tell me then...who are you?"

SeiKeo
December 26th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Chryse

Loki speaks... of what? Past lives? True, I saw his point, and it was really quite interesting. The selection was not random, it seemed: there was clearly a link. What a strange link, but a link none the less.

Mark Loki as... as an interesting person. His point of view on this matter is strange. What relevance does any past identity have? Yes, we were once people, with real lives and real homes, acting out our own pleasures in unreality. This is no longer so. We are shadows of ourselves, altering into a far different form. What is there to be gained by worrying about before?

I stalked away from the two. I had no interest in talking about any of my past life. Perhaps if return became possible, I would revive it, but for now, it was sealed. Instead, I start running my hands all over the walls and floors of the bunker, trying to cover every surface, channeling small shades of prana through my hands in the process. All good evil geniuses have secret chambers or passages. While not necessarily evil, this rogue fit the bill to a t. And what would he be if he didn't hide some of his knowledge?

Sidequest: Look for secret chambers
Sidequest: Join Verdandi and Loki in looking for gunz
Sidequest: Work on magic
Sidequest: See if the bunker has any recording systems that would tell us more about the rogue's last moments and experiments.

deviatesfish
December 26th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Verdandi

1. Find any weapons available in the bunker (preferably guns) and practice to become proficient in it.
2. Explore the surroundings of the bunker and assess for any signs of human activity in the vicinity.
3. Practice further the channelling of prana and look to learn more about the Einsbern Wishcraft.
4. Talk with my companions to hear about their attitudes towards our predicament.

You couldn’t find any more guns, but the assault rifles and hand guns found earlier are free for you to use. You practice with it as much as you could but without any professional supervision, you are lucky you haven’t blown your head off.

The other girl, Luna, seems to have taken a liking to you and also gave you the sniper rifle, if you want to play with that.

The other day, you were looking through the ammunition crate and accidentally pulled something. Luna saw it and took what you pulled and threw it as far as her tiny arms allowed. It was a grenade, and it made a decent sized crater in the south side, outside of the bunker. Luna seems to like you less now, but finds you adorable. She follows you around whenever you approach the guns.

You practice channeling prana, to some effect. You were able to join another homunculus in topping off the Golems’ power cores. You couldn’t find any documents on Wishcraft.


Loki
1) Join Verdandi in exploring the surroundings of the bunker and the search for weapons
2) Search for more books or educational resources

You couldn't find anything else either.



Skadi

Sidequest: Find a knife and learn to use it with this body
Sidequest: Check on everyone, make sure they're not getting sick
Sidequest: Try to get everyone to take walks, so they don't get stircrazy.

You found a knife in the big crate of ammunition. It seems to be a bit large for your body, enough that it could have been used as a short sword than a knife for your size. However, you found its grip to be comfortable.

It seems to be a normal enough knife, made from some kind of alloy of steel with obsidian rune-like designs inlaid within the center of the blade. While practicing with it, you accidentally let out a burst of prana, which surprised you well enough because the blade absorbed that energy and seemed to darken for a moment. With some more experimenting, you realize that when you pour prana into this black blade, it turns into something like a miniature lightsaber, able to cut through almost anything, except your own skin.

Everyone’s bodies seem to be healthy… too healthy. It seems like with each passing day out of the containers, these homunculi bodies have been adapting and growing, becoming stronger and stronger anomalies on Gaia. You notice that the skin that would have been cut by sharp glass before would actually turn the glass away unless the glass was actually wielded as a weapon. Other, smaller changes in the body were too miniscule for you to observe, but you think the body’s immune system seem to have basically defeated anything harmful to the body.

While taking a walk, you were attacked by a wolf. It leapt at you, but you had your knife with you at the time. Now you have a new wolf pelt cape with a wolf head hood attached. It is rather dashing.


Chryse

Sidequest: Look for secret chambers
Sidequest: Join Verdandi and Loki in looking for gunz
Sidequest: Work on magic
Sidequest: See if the bunker has any recording systems that would tell us more about the rogue's last moments and experiments.


You find no secret chambers.

You joined Verdandi and Loki in looking for guns, but nothing else was found.

You tried to work on magic, but all you have been able to do thus far was filling the Golems’ power cores to the brim.

You search through the bunker and found a recording device of some kind made of crystal behind the screen that turned on when you first awoken. However, you don’t see an instruction manual. It seems to be working however, because there is a soft pulse of prana that you can feel from it every few minutes.

Week 3

Goal: Try to unlock memories of magecraft and knowledge from the Justica core - particularly healing or wishcraft.
Goal: Unlock my latent magical knowledge, focusing on Wishcraft and Divination.
Goal: Attempt to discover and unlock innate capabilities in regards to magecraft - focusing on illusion magecraft, shapeshifting or other deceptive capabilities as well as wishcraft.

You see each other. Strange, you all look different… older.

You are all in a cavern. It is dark and damp, with millions of insects crawling about like a swarm of blackness. There is something at the center of it all, something like an eye, crying…


It wails at you horribly, causing your very soul to tremble with a thousand negative emotions—feelings that you didn’t even think existed until that moment. You feel your homunculus body twitch violently, thrashing about…

It ends…

You see a stern face. There is snow everywhere. She seems almost… sad. But she has a duty. She does this duty...

As she turns around, she blinks at you in surprise before…

You wake up, sweating.

Over the past week, you have been able to acclimate yourselves to this new world you have arrived in, however, you have already began the first step on an ambitious path to pain and glory and death. In your group’s desire to fulfill your wishes, you have begun trying to delve deeper into your consciousness to unlock your true potential.

Most of it was just you sitting down, closing your eyes, and trying to meditation, but falling asleep half-way through. Still, by the end of the week, a spark of something happened.

In an attempt to fix each other, to rid each other of pain, you unlocked… something. It was not quite healing yet not quite wishcraft… something in between or perhaps both? You have been unable to replicate it, though that is more likely due to the individual differences in desires than anything else. However, the scrapes that Chryse and Verdandi suffered, minor injuries that long since healed over, were completely wiped out. That is, even the faint marks of a scar disappeared from their skin, once more leaving a smooth, otherworldly surface. For a time, all of you had such radiant skin that it seemed like your bodies were that of angelic beings.

It seems like you have discovered some form of wishcraft, at least for the sake of each other. However, other attempts at wishcraft seem to be futile at the moment.

At the end of the week, and the beginning of the next, something stirred at the edge of the northern barrier of the Bounded Field. Upon looking through a scope that one of you found on the upper layer of the bunker, you saw a squad of at least two dozen mercenaries prowling about. They seem to be confounded by the Bounded Field, which still protects you by confusing these humans. However… at the beginning of week 3, they seem to have figured it out, and are approaching quickly…!

SeiKeo
December 26th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Chryse

Well, fuck. Mercenaries. And probably not terrible rent-a-cops either: I would bet that the Enizberns at least hire competent soldiers: in the worst case, ex-Soviet paratroopers or something of the like. While I had done some work on military-style rifles and handguns before, that was two things. One, it was fairly old. And two, it wasn't done with the body of a little girl. Before, I could have made a passable militia fighter somewhere. Now, I would be surprised if I could get a shot off with one of the rifles without it shooting out of my hands. And even if I was as good as I was, I wasn't anywhere near military training, and I suspected that the rest of our group wasn't either.

So, four girls against 24 grown men. What advantages did we have? We could heal, but that was only good for minor injuries (or at least as far as we knew). We had the bunker and the golems, though...

Sidequest: Try to find more grenades and some twine
Sidequest: Look around the bunker entrance for anywhere we could stick two golems.

If we could set up some grenades on tripwires, we could make a decent show out of taking out a few of the point scouts. And if we could ambush them with the golems, we could without a doubt do more. I would have liked to do far more, but I hadn't expected an attack this soon: the others would have to get to their own efforts, and hope that we were thinking more or less the same thing.

deviatesfish
December 26th, 2011, 10:43 PM
Chryse

Well, fuck. Mercenaries. And probably not terrible rent-a-cops either: I would bet that the Enizberns at least hire competent soldiers: in the worst case, ex-Soviet paratroopers or something of the like. While I had done some work on military-style rifles and handguns before, that was two things. One, it was fairly old. And two, it wasn't done with the body of a little girl. Before, I could have made a passable militia fighter somewhere. Now, I would be surprised if I could get a shot off with one of the rifles without it shooting out of my hands. And even if I was as good as I was, I wasn't anywhere near military training, and I suspected that the rest of our group wasn't either.

So, four girls against 24 grown men. What advantages did we have? We could heal, but that was only good for minor injuries (or at least as far as we knew). We had the bunker and the golems, though...

Sidequest: Try to find more grenades and some twine
Sidequest: Look around the bunker entrance for anywhere we could stick two golems.

If we could set up some grenades on tripwires, we could make a decent show out of taking out a few of the point scouts. And if we could ambush them with the golems, we could without a doubt do more. I would have liked to do far more, but I hadn't expected an attack this soon: the others would have to get to their own efforts, and hope that we were thinking more or less the same thing.

Thankfully, the mercenaries were still on the edge of the fog-barrier of the physical aspect of this Bounded Field. That could mean that they were not competent enough magi to have defeated this half-formed barrier, or that they did not have any magi with them.

You ran around for twine, but you could not find any. Grenades were there enough, you had at least a hundred of them in a box. They came in all types, from all time periods. Some of them were plastic explosives, some of them were advanced time bombs that could be set up for at most a five minute delayed explosion, some of them were pressure sensitive like mines, and some of them were the large stick type from before the World Wars, and some were just regular hand grenades... about twenty of each.

By this time, the mercenaries moved from the north area of the Bounded Field to the north-western area.

There were two entrances to the bunker, one that leads to the bottom layer from the east and one that least to the top layer from the south. The entrances were tiny and gated. If you closed the gates, the mercenaries would have a hard time getting in directly, but the Golems would be unable to get in unless they smashed their way in. There were little areas to place them, unless you were to try to hide them behind trees. However, these Golems are not intelligent enough to hold more than two orders at a time. Unless told otherwise, they will charge at the mercenaries without a care.

alfheimwanderer
December 27th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Skadi

So, it had come to this: after two weeks of peace, two weeks in which we had been stretched to our limits, two weeks in which we had been confined in this dreary hideaway scratched into the earth, left behind by some rogue magus with delusions of grandeur. I suppose he would have been my Creator and Maker in this world, but so what? I'd never cared for any such being even in the world we came from, and that one claimed to be omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.

So much...frustration; so much...confinement; so much...desire.

Desire to be free.

Desire to rip something, someone apart in a cold -or perhaps not so cold - fury.

Desire to kill.

Powerless, one said? Consigned to the fates, one said? A mere child, one said?

"Ha..haha...hahahahahahahah!"

A monster in human shape, perhaps - a personification of the darkness inherent in humanity, of the fears and terrors from beyond the fringes of mankind's consciousness. As a product of magecraft, one could call this...vessel an illusion given form by time and labour and fragments of souls, a manifestation of a dream.

...for was a nightmare not a dream?

Very well.

I laughed then, a dark, cruel laugh that spilled from my lips as I regarded those enemies of mine through the scope, those fragile humans whose flesh was not as durable as my own, yet who sought to destroy us to protect the interest of some wizened old man with entirely too much power, all for meagre scraps of knowledge that he neither needed nor could use, merged into our bodies as they were.

Two dozen mercenaries against five children?

How...pitiful.

Something stirred in me then, as my hand went to the handle of my weapon - my knife with obsidian rune-like designs, which could darken to absorb the light around it - a darksaber, as it were. My other hand rested on the wolf pelt cape I wore, which could probably allow me to blend in with my surroundings for long enough to slip in and eviscerate some poor magus, spilling his warm lifeblood upon the icy ground. I licked my lips...excited by the thought of such destruction...and why not?

They wished to kill me in exchange for a simple payment, and took pleasure from the payment they received and the satisfaction of a job well done, so how was taking pleasure in their deaths any different? Of course, I would probably be unable to personally kill so many with simply a blade, so that was what modern armament was for - the scythe of cold steel and hot lead tearing apart my adversaries with implacable, impartial regard.

Though perhaps it would be better to watch their resolve turn to terror as simply decaying bodies turn out to be packed with explosives...and shrapnel...

Ah, their cries would be music to my ears...

Sidequest: Enter upper level, rig southern entrance with plastic explosives - to detonate with prana burst if mercenaries attempt to break in.
Sidequest: Command one golem to grab a corpse and join me in the room
Sidequest: Load Gatling guns with ammunition, sweep the mercenaries with machine-gun fire when they come into effective range

Blackdeath6031
December 27th, 2011, 03:42 AM
Loki

....Well this is going to be a bother...

Making sure I breathe slowly, I notice that my comrades seem to be rather agitated.

Seems like one is headed to get explosives, while another has headed for the gatlings.

Had I been quicker, I probably could have tried to attract their attention using the corpses we had on hand, but then again with this dense fog it might not be the case.

However, if Skadi has left for the gatlings I can't be sure that she (or he - should it truly be Alf) can handle the situation.
Closing my eyes, I pause, trying to decide what to do.

Should they manage to enter, something that can help in close-quarter combat would prove useful.

Sidequest: Search for a small cold weapon that can be used easily. If found, keep it on me but do not equip it.

However, some firearm might be helpful in this case as well.

Sidequest: Take a SMG to use

However, Skadi has decided to go for the reckless choice of raining bullets on our enemies and letting them know that we weren't as unaware as they had probably thought we were.
Chryse, on the other hand, has taken the choice of trying to trap the mercenaries.

....Perhaps my idea might still be feasible? But one can't really say much without examining the conditions.

Sidequest: Determine how easy it is to carry a dead mercenary to where the gatlings are by myself

Sidequest: Check if the mercenaries are alerted of our actions (without leaving the bunker or alerting them)

Sidequest: Evaluate, without testing it out, how likely it is that dropping a corpse would attract attention, and how many people would approach the corpse

Sidequest: Take some grenades

But assuming it doesn't work, what else could I do, I wonder...?

Sidequest:​ Attempt to assess the situation - discreetly - from the ledge where the gatlings are

Brynhilde
December 27th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Verdandi

I did not expect the outside world to show their hostilities so soon. Certainly not while the Boundary Field still lasted.

I watched in silence as my companions, some bloodthirsty and some anxious, some reaching for bombs and some reaching for gatling guns, all scatter about planning to send those mercenaries to their doom.

All I did was to ascend to the topmost level of the bunker, found a narrow window, and aimed with the sniper rifle that I had acquired.

Good marksmanship is a matter of experience and intuition. I knew it well, having once possessed it myself in my previous life. It wasn't only about knowing when to press the trigger, but feeling it, instinctively understanding that this is the moment to hit, the moment to land the kill when faced with a moving target.

Certainly, it did not possess the cunning of the bombs Loki is planning to plant, or as destructive as the gatling guns Skadi is planning to unleash, but it can be used to pick off particularly difficult targets. It is thorough, mechanical, precise.

It is my weapon of choice.

Though this frail body may not be able to stand the backkick of the rifle, I gritted my teeth and used the cracked window sill to hold up the gun barrel. I did not share the joy of the kill, or the ecstatic release as violence is rained upon our enemies. I knew it is my duty at the moment to deny these mercenaries of our territory, and I shall relish in the small pleasure of a job well done.

To achieve what we want to achieve, we have to survive beyond today. It is a necessity. No more.

I've told Luna where I was going, and asked her to come and tell me if our plans change.

But I somehow doubt I'll need it. This higher level gave quite a good overview of the land, after all.

Side quest: Be on guard at the topmost level of the bunker with sniper rifle, ready to open fire if enemies come within range.