PDA

View Full Version : Dynasty Warriors

Apple
December 20th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Never played any of the series before, and I heard positive reviews about 7. Thing is, I also heard bad things about 7: Xtreme Legends, and how (apparently) Xtreme Legends doesn't come with the original game. Do any of you guys know better about this series than I do? Should I get 7, 7: Exteme Legends, or avoid it altogether?

Sakuraba Haru
December 20th, 2011, 09:59 AM
Get 7 it's pretty good. It's based of China History/Novel but you know video game and novel so take it with a pinch of salt.

Apple
December 20th, 2011, 11:51 AM
But is 7 better or is 7: Extreme Legends better? I heard that Xtreme legends doesn't include the content from the actual game, but I'm not sure. Apparently something about DLC being crammed into a full release or whatnot.

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Start with 7. If you enjoy that, get 7XL for $20 max. XL is never worth full price.

Apple
December 20th, 2011, 12:14 PM
So, I can be sure that 7XL doesn't come with 7 then?

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Yeah.

Sakuraba Haru
December 20th, 2011, 12:46 PM
XL and Empires are usually versions that have entirely different gimmicks.
The main ones are the best for new players definitely.

Lianru
December 20th, 2011, 01:05 PM
I hear "extreme"

Yeah, stick to the original first. Er, "original".

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I love DW. DW 7 is pretty good. Haven't played XL. XL in the past has generally been an 'expansion' to the main game. Additional content, so to speak. Rent first, and see if it's your gameplay style.

I've been playing the series since 4. Have 4, 4XL, 5, 5XL, and 7. Never got around to getting 6.

I also have Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2. :3c

the series led me to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms. <3

GlanGR
December 20th, 2011, 02:00 PM
7 is absolutely amazing, so get that. Although, the multiplayer in 7 is pretty shallow, so get XL if you like it and want to play with other people.

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 02:09 PM
I love DW. DW 7 is pretty good. Haven't played XL. XL in the past has generally been an 'expansion' to the main game. Additional content, so to speak. Rent first, and see if it's your gameplay style.

I've been playing the series since 4. Have 4, 4XL, 5, 5XL, and 7. Never got around to getting 6.

I also have Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2. :3c

the series led me to read Romance of the Three Kingdoms. <3

6 is fucking awful. Don't get it.

Now, POWER RANKINGS!

5 > 3 > 7 > 4 Empires > 4 > 5XL > 4XL > 3XL > 5 Empires > 7XL > 6 Empires > 6

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 02:13 PM
I also played Kessen 2.

And DW Advance. In japanese. :3c

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 02:16 PM
AWWWW YEAH! KESSEN 2! MAGICAL FLYING ZHUGE LIANG VS. LOLI WITH A BONER FOR CAO CAO!

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Yes. So much yes.

DANCING SUN SHANG XIANG, GO!

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Remember the, like, 2 Wu fights? Man, they were really reduced to nothing.

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 02:21 PM
I've played DW games from 4 and onward and I find 7 to be the best one. XL's are just expansions of the other games, so never just get the XL. So totally get DW7, and if you really like it, try XL. It's got 3 new characters, a new "Legend" mode that gives you a ton of more stages, and more weapons to use. There's also a ton of priced DLC for both 7 and XL, so if you're into DLC you'll get tons of costumes and weapons.

And my personal rankings goes as this...

7 > 4 > 5 > 6 > 3 > 2

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Remember the, like, 2 Wu fights? Man, they were really reduced to nothing.

Yeah, Wu kinda got shafted. It's Sun Ce's fault for killing the magical healing dude who was saving sick peasants for free. :(

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he also talking about killing Sun Ce because he thought Ce was a douche?

DB-L
December 20th, 2011, 02:42 PM
6 is fucking awful. Don't get it.

Now, POWER RANKINGS!

5 > 3 > 7 > 4 Empires > 4 > 5XL > 4XL > 3XL > 5 Empires > 7XL > 6 Empires > 6

Where would you rank the Warriors Orochi series?

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Orochi is a spinoff. No spinoffs.

DB-L
December 20th, 2011, 02:59 PM
:(

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Actually, more of a crossover.

DW7 > DW4 > SW2 > WO1 > SW1 > WO2 > DW5 > DW6 > DW3 > DW2

And damn SW3 for being Wii exclusive. >_> Only reason I don't have it.

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 03:08 PM
SW3 isn't a Wii exclusive. There's a PS3 version........JP onry though.

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, but me not knowing Japanese would take out most the fun of me playing it. I have a lot of fun with story and characters in these games, which is mostly why I like DW7 so much.

...And if you want to be REALLY technical, SW3 Z is PS3 exclusive. :3 The Z make it special!

mewarmo990
December 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Gundam Musou 3 is probably the best in the series, for me. It looks incredible (paint-like effects, intelligent use of cel-shading) compared to the past games.

I also heard it actually has dual audio in the international release, though I haven't seen it for myself. That's really cool, though.

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 03:15 PM
Damn, totally forgot to include DW:G games... And I guess I forgot to include Warriors: Legends of Troy as well but, hell, hardly anyone else played that anyways.

DW7 > DW4 > SW2 > DW:G3 > WO1 > DW:G1 > SW1 > WO2 > DW5 > W:LoT > DW:G2 > DW6 > DW3 > DW2

Oh, and yeah, my NA copy has an option for JP audio. I never use it, but it's there.

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I loved Legends of Troy for being something different. The next one in that series should be quite good.

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Yeah, it was better than I expected it would be. If they improve on it more, it could really be good.

DB-L
December 20th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Speaking of Troy, anybody following Musou Orochi 2?

It's gonna feature Achilles & Ryu and a whole bunch of other new characters from other series.

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Speaking of Troy, anybody following Musou Orochi 2?

It's gonna feature Achilles & Ryu and a whole bunch of other new characters from other series.

Hell. Yes. When that comes out, it's going at the top of my list.

The other crossover characters are Joan of Arc from Bladestorm, Ayane from DoA/NG, and Nemea from the Zill O'll series. And they FINALLY included Susanoo, which I've been wanting for ever. Not to mention "Create-A-Stage" where you can make your own stages. I love the idea of being able to fight 4 Lu Bu's at once.

DB-L
December 20th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I always wondered, if they were going to include Shuten Doji, then why not Raikoh?

They went to the trouble of including Ne Zha to act as Sun Wukong's counterpart.

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't he also talking about killing Sun Ce because he thought Ce was a douche?

Not in the translation that i read. He did say that Sun Ce would be cursed for killing him, though.

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Could just be my fanboyism talking. Which version did you read? The unabridged version that was released a few years ago?

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 03:36 PM
can't check atm. I got it, like... 8 years ago.

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Hmmm.....Was it in 2 volumes or 4?

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 03:37 PM
I only have the first, lol. It's over 1k pages.

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 03:39 PM
I......have no idea which version you have. Mine is just over 1500 pages(I think) but about 400 of those are part of the index/whatever, and it's divided into 2 parts.

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I just realized in WO3/MO2 there's going to be Lu Bu, Joan of Arc, and Kojiro Sasaki.

I'mma make an all Fate team. :D

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I......have no idea which version you have. Mine is just over 1500 pages(I think) but about 400 of those are part of the index/whatever, and it's divided into 2 parts.

Might be the same. Is it bright pink?

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Nope. First volume is Green, second is Blue.

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Huh. Must be different. :3c

KENTA
December 20th, 2011, 04:29 PM
My Version (http://www.amazon.com/Three-Kingdoms-Historical-Novel-Part/dp/0520224787/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1324412849&sr=8-11)

Milbunk
December 20th, 2011, 05:10 PM
So would you guys mind answering a noobish question for me. I'm thinking about getting the 7th one but I'm not sure if it has splitscreen co-op.

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 05:11 PM
it does.

Milbunk
December 20th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Ah, how many players can it support?

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 05:12 PM
2. Afaik.

Milbunk
December 20th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Ah ok, thanks for the help.

GlanGR
December 20th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Although, DW7's co-op is really shallow, so you need XL for the full experience. Although, get the original and see how much you like it first.

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 08:45 PM
DW7 - Co-op for Conquest Mode only.

DW7:XL - Co-op for Story Mode, Conquest Mode, and Legend Mode.

But there's like over 100+ stages in Conquest mode, so yeah, just decide based on that I guess. Oh, and you gotta have DW7 to play Story Mode and Conquest Mode in DW7:XL.

GlanGR
December 20th, 2011, 08:59 PM
But those conquest mode stages are really short most of the time.

Neir
December 20th, 2011, 09:05 PM
True.

I heart Wang Yuanji

Xaldin
December 20th, 2011, 09:38 PM
Yeah they're short, but there's a ton of 'em. And there's DLC stages which are battles taken straight form other DW games, so those are epic. Though if you're gonna buy DLC may as well get XL.

And Yuanji is the best female in DW, hands down.

DB-L
December 20th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I wonder though, would Ma Chao still be godly tier on horseback in the next Orochi? :)

Xaldin
December 21st, 2011, 12:00 AM
Nah, he'll have his DW7 moveset so he won't be OP on his pony anymore.

Milbunk
January 21st, 2012, 08:14 PM
After thinking about which one to get I finally settled on Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. So far so good and I love the way co-op works in it.

DB-L
February 23rd, 2012, 05:24 AM
Ryu (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ27xkEB1Bc&feature=related)'s one scary mofo.

Also, STRONGEST TEAM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNHta8AM68Y).

GlanGR
March 30th, 2012, 03:33 AM
So, Orochi 3. I was considering going and getting it(or at least the necessary amount of PSN cards), but I don't really know that much about it. A quick search on Youtube gives me the impression that it works off something similar to the DW7 system while keeping the three character rotation, but I'm not quite clear on the exact details. How is it?

Froggie
March 30th, 2012, 06:42 AM
I bought Warriors Orocho 3 on a whim and mostly for the guest characters, particularly Ayane and Ryu, having been a long time fan of both NG and DOA. However, this is my first musou game so I'm not sure of what details exactly you would like to know about. Anything specific?

GlanGR
March 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Well, for starters, did they bring levels or unique movesets back in? And about how long is each stage?

Froggie
March 30th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Levels as in stage select? It's there. If you mean as in character stats then that is there as well. A bit frustrating when getting a new character, but the game allows you to stock up on exp to quickly bring them up to par.

Moves all seem to follow a specific command sequence but each character seems to animate uniquely.

The timer gives 1 hour for each stage but I found myself taking anywhere from 10 to 20 minutes on a first run. Subsequent runs take me from 3 to 8 minutes.

SpetsnazChick
April 2nd, 2012, 06:40 PM
oh cool a DW thread, i honestly have played all the games for this series (not 7 legends though) and i loved number 7 because the fact you can use any weapon you want is sweet plus i get to ride a bear! F YEA!

Eriko
April 9th, 2013, 12:53 AM
I'm still new to the series but did my research after getting to the series. Very interesting set of games, totally hype for the release of Dynasty Warriors , C'MON JULY COME FASTER.

Riven
October 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
So I went searching for a Dynasty Warriors thread on this forum and lo and behold, we have one! Only, it's been down since before DW8 came out. Therefore, I decided to resurrect it to discuss the newest entry in the series.

I personally liked 8 a lot. The new three point battle system mixes up the combat quite a bit, making for far less button mashing and adding an additional reason to collect weapons all over the place (which is a particular bonus since everyone has a unique weapon now). Being able to automatically jump on your horse by holding down the call horse button also makes the battles flow smoother and just makes so much sense. The progression system also works better, unlocking your later combos and second musou attack with higher levels so as to give you more reason to level up your characters. Rage mode is also a lot of fun, making for a spectacular way to just clean up a large group of enemies.

On to the new gameplay modes, the story mode works really well from a gameplay perspective. Now there's actual reasons to try your hardest in the battles as you can save people who died historically and if you save enough of them, you can unlock the hypothetical routes, which are a blast to play. Some of the final confrontations are just great, basically letting you field your entire roster against everybody the enemy has. It's hugely satisfying when you see everybody, including the people who were supposed to die, join you to destroy the entire opposition.

My only gripe with this new system is that it comes at the expense of the historical routes, which were fantastic in 7, but not as good here. In DW7, the story could actually be emotional and compelling at times because the writers didn't have to keep the possibility that you'd save everybody in mind, so they could play up deaths and defeats before they actually happened. Now, everyone in the game seems to die of wounds after fighting through them for half a battle, or random arrows that only happen at the end of the mission. Kind of sucks the impact out of a lot of them. The results aren't necessarily "bad," but they don't carry the same impact as they did in 7, which is a shame.

Ambition mode on the other hand is a great addition. It's really fun to amass a massive army of basically every officer in the game and upgrade your people through the roof. Fighting duel battles and seeing how far you can go before you have to take a break from the challenge is immensely enjoyable. The only thing that sticks out as an issue is how annoying it is to gather materials. When you compare how long it takes to get them vs getting fame and followers, it's kind of a slog.

The last thing is the new character additions. These I'm kind of mixed about. The Shu and Jin additions are almost all stellar, with particular mention going to Jia Chong in all his creepy friendliness. The only exception I'd make there is Guan Yinping, who is not only completely dull and a gimmick character, but has zero relevance to the story at all. The Wei and Wu additions aren't nearly as good, although the Wei ones have a bit more character to them and are more fun to play as.

Anyhow, DW8 Xtreme Legends is on the horizon with new game modes and new characters. So here's hoping that it ends up great.

LJ3
December 7th, 2013, 11:12 PM
What got me hooked was Warriors Orochi 3. And that was only watching online.

Also into looking into the actual historical figures or the stories about them.

And since there's not a Samurai Warriors thread: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-12-06/samurai-warriors-4-1st-promo-video-previews-main-cast

JetKinen
December 7th, 2013, 11:58 PM
Looks really fun

I just hope we get it here in the west.

LJ3
December 8th, 2013, 09:47 PM
I think it will but a year or two later.

LegalLoliLover
December 8th, 2013, 11:06 PM
So I went searching for a Dynasty Warriors thread on this forum and lo and behold, we have one! Only, it's been down since before DW8 came out. Therefore, I decided to resurrect it to discuss the newest entry in the series. I personally liked 8 a lot. The new three point battle system mixes up the combat quite a bit, making for far less button mashing and adding an additional reason to collect weapons all over the place (which is a particular bonus since everyone has a unique weapon now). Being able to automatically jump on your horse by holding down the call horse button also makes the battles flow smoother and just makes so much sense. The progression system also works better, unlocking your later combos and second musou attack with higher levels so as to give you more reason to level up your characters. Rage mode is also a lot of fun, making for a spectacular way to just clean up a large group of enemies. On to the new gameplay modes, the story mode works really well from a gameplay perspective. Now there's actual reasons to try your hardest in the battles as you can save people who died historically and if you save enough of them, you can unlock the hypothetical routes, which are a blast to play. Some of the final confrontations are just great, basically letting you field your entire roster against everybody the enemy has. It's hugely satisfying when you see everybody, including the people who were supposed to die, join you to destroy the entire opposition. My only gripe with this new system is that it comes at the expense of the historical routes, which were fantastic in 7, but not as good here. In DW7, the story could actually be emotional and compelling at times because the writers didn't have to keep the possibility that you'd save everybody in mind, so they could play up deaths and defeats before they actually happened. Now, everyone in the game seems to die of wounds after fighting through them for half a battle, or random arrows that only happen at the end of the mission. Kind of sucks the impact out of a lot of them. The results aren't necessarily "bad," but they don't carry the same impact as they did in 7, which is a shame. Ambition mode on the other hand is a great addition. It's really fun to amass a massive army of basically every officer in the game and upgrade your people through the roof. Fighting duel battles and seeing how far you can go before you have to take a break from the challenge is immensely enjoyable. The only thing that sticks out as an issue is how annoying it is to gather materials. When you compare how long it takes to get them vs getting fame and followers, it's kind of a slog. The last thing is the new character additions. These I'm kind of mixed about. The Shu and Jin additions are almost all stellar, with particular mention going to Jia Chong in all his creepy friendliness. The only exception I'd make there is Guan Yinping, who is not only completely dull and a gimmick character, but has zero relevance to the story at all. Thing is, they could have expanded her story by adding the fact that Sun Quan was willing to spare Guan Yu if Guan Yu allowed her to marry Sun Quan's son.

Riven
December 8th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Thing is, they could have expanded her story by adding the fact that Sun Quan was willing to spare Guan Yu if Guan Yu allowed her to marry Sun Quan's son.

Yet they didn't.

For the moment, she's completely pointless and serves only to make muscle jokes and provide fanservice because having one useless woman in Shu (Bao Sanniang) clearly wasn't enough. Hell, at least Bao Sanniang is there to make Guan Suo's life less shitty. Considering this faction has great female characters like Xingcai and Yueying, I'm wondering where all the creative ideas went.

Also, please keep the spacing when quoting if you can. More of a technical thing, but still.

LegalLoliLover
September 27th, 2016, 07:15 PM
I was just look at different portrayals of Chen Gong's death, and depending on the version, dying Chen Gong really just gives a quick summary of that series's Cao Cao:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWvpl6Tmoqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLLjj2ut73I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WJXSTfCOL4

Milbunk
September 29th, 2016, 02:49 AM
I really like the Dynasty Warriors portrayal of Chen Gong he's got just the right amount of boastfulness that it really works with Lu Bu.

LegalLoliLover
September 30th, 2016, 08:03 PM
But it's kinda weird that Chen Gong keeps citing the fact that Cao Cao could not kill Dong Zhuo as a sign of his weakness. Chen Gong usually leaves Cao Cao because he dislikes Cao Cao's moral character (usually, for what happened with Lu Boshe in works based more on the fictitious novel, and usually for what happened at Xu Province in regards to Cao Song in works based more in history). Still watching Souten Kouro is more of a guilty pleasure for me (without the guilt), as YouTube comments will keep saying that it's inaccurate to "what actually happened".

They actually mean what was written fictitiously in the novel. For example, Hua Xiong not being killed by Guan Yu (historically, he was defeated by Sun Jian's forces, but it is vague who actually dealt the killing blow, but it could not have been anyone associated with Liu Bei because he and his men were busy fighting off Yellow Turban remnants), and Guan Yu not getting Red Hare (both a result of Luo Guanzhong's Guan Yu fan-wanking).

LegalLoliLover
February 20th, 2017, 11:16 PM
I wonder... Is it good to focus on being on the straight and narrow path, or is it bad to have narrow ideals?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-VaVLGddRY

LegalLoliLover
May 21st, 2019, 06:41 PM
Warriors Orochi, rather than Dynasty Warriors, but apparently, Guan Suo is teaching Kyubi to be Fate Tamamo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW_OXEsHDSI
A little fluff is worth more than all the wealth and power in the world.