PDA

View Full Version : Fanfiction Discussion Thread

Twelveseal
March 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Post your opinions about the fanfics on this board, recommend fics, and critique them here.

MrTags
March 17th, 2011, 11:26 PM
I'd rather have the comments IN my fic thread, not that I get any.

I have a feeling we should keep the commenting close to the fic the comments are about. Funding- I don't understand this.

Elf
March 17th, 2011, 11:57 PM
Yeah, honestly the authors would rather have the comments in the thread they're posting in then having to read them in some other separate thread.

Now this could be a fanfic recommendation thread . . .

Yes, this is now a fanfic recommendation thread.

ttestagr
March 17th, 2011, 11:58 PM
It can also be used to discuss fics hosted elsewhere, if any are worth the effort.

Elf
March 18th, 2011, 12:12 AM
It can also be used to discuss fics hosted elsewhere, if any are worth the effort.

True, "The World Without" could use some discussion. I just hope there's not like an entire thread dedicated to Gabriel Blessing's stuff.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 18th, 2011, 12:19 AM
^
In that case keep clear of TFF's "Unlmited Gabriel Blessing Works" thread. All GB, all of the time.

Elf
March 18th, 2011, 12:23 AM
^
In that case keep clear of TFF's "Unlmited Gabriel Blessing Works" thread. All GB, all of the time.

I do. Like a vampire stays away from a cross.

Mike1984
March 18th, 2011, 12:29 AM
True, "The World Without" could use some discussion.

Yeah, I do like that fic.

I think it's dead, though, unfortunately.

I just hope there's not like an entire thread dedicated to Gabriel Blessing's stuff.

Why not?

At least that way they won't spam the other threads with their swooning :p

ItsaRandomUsername
March 18th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Do we even have any GB fans here? Or at least, any willing to come out an face true Type-MOON fans that know better?

Nice analogy, Elf. Same here.

Elf
March 18th, 2011, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I do like that fic.

I think it's dead, though, unfortunately.

It's not dead. He just takes a REALLY long time to write chapters. I'm one of his betas and know him through LJ. It's still in progress, just it's a LONG progress.

And man, you're quick to call a story deceased you know that?

Why not?

At least that way they won't spam the other threads with their swooning :p

I mean, they're really not swoon worthy either.

I should post him a detailed critique at some point.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 18th, 2011, 01:12 AM
Tear him apart, Elf! Show now mercy with your harsh judgments of Shirou/Archer's character! Give him a what-for and one-two!

Mike1984
March 18th, 2011, 01:23 AM
It's not dead. He just takes a REALLY long time to write chapters. I'm one of his betas and know him through LJ. It's still in progress, just it's a LONG progress.

Ah, OK. I can understand that.

And man, you're quick to call a story deceased you know that?

Hmm, yeah, looking at it he's published more recently than I thought he had....

Actually, thinking about it, I was thinking of an entirely different Sakura-centric story that I had been following. Yeah, looking at it The World Without doesn't seem to be as dead as I thought....

Zevrand
March 18th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Tear him apart, Elf! Show now mercy with your harsh judgments of Shirou/Archer's character! Give him a what-for and one-two!

Eh, he was pretty decently in character, given that ZnT canon includes a personality-adjusting curse on the Gandalfr runes.

Fate/Black Reflection (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5591380/1/) is pretty decent as well. I personally think that it powers the Fate characters a little further than is justified by the works, but otherwise there wouldn't be much in the way of conflict, so I'm willing to excuse it.

Hermitfold
March 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I wonder, does anyone her read Shadow Crystal Mage's stuff? His crack fics are excellent.

eddyak
March 18th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Do we even have any GB fans here? Or at least, any willing to come out an face true Type-MOON fans that know better?

Nice analogy, Elf. Same here.
*Alt+F4s*
Y-Yeah, those darned GB fics. They... suck. Yeah.

ttestagr
March 18th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I object! HoS was garbage, but In Flight is a very good fanwork.

Elf
March 19th, 2011, 01:32 AM
Here's a little gem I found on the Pit of Voles. It's called "Loyalty". http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6652936/1/Loyalty

Theocrass
March 19th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Personally I can't stand Fate Black Reflection. It seems to be all about how great Ichigo is, when really, he's just a pale imitation of Shirou's awesomeness. The fact that it chooses to mix something awesome like Fate with something un-awesome like Bleach also offends my delicate sensibilities.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 19th, 2011, 01:45 AM
As long as the Naruto/Fate crossover does not get "recommended", I can breathe easily.

Theocrass
March 19th, 2011, 01:50 AM
^ RAEG

The idea of such a thing inspires great RAEG in me!

Though, despite the claims of Naruto fans, I'm fairly certain most Servants could stomp the majority of most Naruto characters.

But I know that abomination you mentioned wouldn't be about that. It would be about how great Naruto is, how he's charming instead of Goddamn annoying, about how all women are insanely attracted to him, and about how powerful he really is.

Spooky
March 19th, 2011, 01:55 AM
As long as the Naruto/Fate crossover does not get "recommended", I can breathe easily.

Which one? http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn187/spooky316/Smileys/urahatmr3.gif

ItsaRandomUsername
March 19th, 2011, 01:57 AM
ANY of them. *shudders*

Theocrass
March 19th, 2011, 02:02 AM
Anyone ever read Toy Soldiers? A series of oneshots, but they're all pretty good. They vary in plot and theme, but most of them are basically "What if Shirou had a different Servant?" And boy, this fic answers this question well.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2998524/1/Toy_Soldiers

ItsaRandomUsername
March 19th, 2011, 02:10 AM
*reads*

Wow. That was actually pretty damn good. Very introspective and thoughtful, and gets the point of each snippet across rather well.

Theocrass
March 19th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Berserker's was my favorite, especially since he required that I imagine him speaking with Kevin Sorbo's voice. :D

Ahhh, nostalgia. Gilgamesh's was really good too, and Lancer's was just plain awesome!

ttestagr
March 19th, 2011, 02:18 AM
Fate/Bleach...

That fic is terrible and anybody who would rec it is terrible.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 19th, 2011, 02:25 AM
There was one featuring future Rin, right?

I have to agree with you there, Theo. I also like Assassin's (false), but then again I like that guy. Gil/Shirou broness is always a plus with me.

Theocrass
March 19th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Oh yeah, that was future Rin! I literally only just realized that because you pointed it out.

Who don't like da Gil/Shirou broness?

Besides Keyne (who's Tsundere for Gilgy).

Oxy
March 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM
ANY of them. *shudders*

There is one FSN/Naruto worth reading, although it is kinda dead. It is called Fate/eternia (http://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=16815).

I3uster
November 24th, 2012, 05:28 PM
How about we use this thread from now on for alerting people of off-site updated fics and discussing them, like FFD and Remember?

IhaxlikeNoob
November 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Oh, this thread, saw it one day at the back of the forum when I was trawling around here for fun.

Why not?

I3uster
November 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Thread necromancy gives me raging erections so I just revived this.

While the indexing keeps the other thread clutter-free I dunno if it's a good idea to spam it with "FFD updated" every time :V

Five_X
November 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM
How about we use this thread from now on for alerting people of off-site updated fics and discussing them, like FFD and Remember?

Or it could just be ignored as it should be, because it's pretty pointless.

I3uster
November 24th, 2012, 05:33 PM
It is, but people will do it anyway.