PDA

View Full Version : The True King of Urban Fantasy - The Dresden Files

Pages : [1] 2

Vanathor
December 22nd, 2011, 09:42 PM
I noticed Dresden did not have a discussion thread in this forum and in that instant I realized my duty of enlightening all of you mongrels of the REAL King. With that said.... Who is wondering what is going to happen in book fourteen Cold Days with Harry as the Winter Knight? Any guesses?

terraablaze
December 22nd, 2011, 09:51 PM
We already have a thread for this in the General Discussion area. The Dresden Files are neither anime, manga, or games. gtfo

Edit: or I thought we did, where did it go?

TypeWannabe
December 22nd, 2011, 09:57 PM
Somebody deleted it, I never bothered recreating it because the memories live on in our hearts. Same with the Wheel of Time thread and that other book series thread I made, oh yeah, it was the Animorphs thread.

terraablaze
December 22nd, 2011, 09:59 PM
You mean that time your account got hacked? Remake it already then.

Kieran
December 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
I noticed Dresden did not have a discussion thread in this forum and in that instant I realized my duty of enlightening all of you mongrels of the REAL King. With that said.... Who is wondering what is going to happen in book fourteen Cold Days with Harry as the Winter Knight? Any guesses?

Harry finally goes after the Summer Court, since we know that Titania's in this up to her vibrantly-green eyeballs.

Vanathor
December 22nd, 2011, 11:32 PM
Here is the important question.

Mab. Would you tap that phat ass?

Elf
December 23rd, 2011, 01:42 AM
It's my favorite book series right now, and I'm picky as hell.

Also Murphy is love.

Hermitfold
December 23rd, 2011, 02:19 AM
I'm quite fond of Dresden Files as well, and I'm not quite picky but discerning, I'd say.

EXiku
December 23rd, 2011, 06:41 AM
I...only caught the short-lived TV series unfortunately...but I liked what I saw and have been planning to get to the books at some point. *shows self out of thread*

eddyak
December 23rd, 2011, 12:16 PM

Depends.

Would your tongue get stuck to her, like in that Christmas show?

Trevelyan
December 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
I read them in April, this year. Read all of them. Then had to wait until July for Ghost Story. Dresden Files is awesome. I love the cast, I love the snark, I love Butcher's "get me everyone. EVERYONE!" approach to mythology and the supernatural. Harry getting increasingly more badass as time goes on is rewarding. And colony drops. With satellites.

So, yeah, the wait for three months was bad. The wait for Cold Days is excruciating. ;)

Elf
December 23rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
See, I was a huge fan of Anita Blake back in the day. You know, back when she use to solve paranormal murders and shoot things and not sleep with the monsters. Then . . . yeahhhhh.

So I was in the need of something else to read. I picked up "Storm Front" on a whim and had been in love ever since. My favorite book is still "Summer Knight" with maybe "White Knight" behind it. (Also "Small Favors" was pretty bad assed too.) I enjoyed "Ghost Story", but my one peeve was that there were too many pop culture references, even for me. Like all the X-Men references, and I can tell you who created Wolverine and drew the first issue of the All New, All Different X-Men where Storm, Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Colossus were introduced because I'm that much of a nerd, but there were too many.

Still, its my favorite read on the book shelf and I've gotten most of my circle of friends addicted to it as well.

Also, I'd tap Mab, but I'd be very terrified while doing so. To me, Summer seems more scary. At least Winter lets you know they're going to eat your eyeballs and entrails. Summer does too much cloak and dagger.

Five_X
December 23rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
Ah, Anita Blake: Vampire Humper. I do have to wonder what happened to turn the author on to bestiality, really.

Dresden Files is certainly better (not that that's hard) but I have to agree with Elf; there are way too many pop culture references, and it makes the anti-postmodernist within me cry with great agony. Jim Butcher is a pretty good writer, though; if only he'd keep to making homages, rather than outright, direct references.

Mormarth
December 23rd, 2011, 10:34 PM
I thought that the references were a tad over the top as well, but I rationalized it as Dresden focusing on the "COOL SHIT" aspect of being a ghost, and not the "OH GOD I AM DEAAAAAAAAD" parts.

But, that's just me.

Also: Zombie T-Rex, when you absolutely, certainly, no looking back, "this guy is deader than Jimmy Hoffa" kill everything around. Even if they're dead.

Kieran
December 23rd, 2011, 10:53 PM
My introduction to the Dresden Files is an odd one - I'd seen the books off and on, in the sci-fi/fantasy section, and the title "Summer Knight" appealed. So, on one of my periodic trips to Toronto to hit the World's Biggest Bookstore (that actually is the name of the place), I decided - what the hell, I could use a new series, and bought "Storm Front." It was cool, but it didn't quite inspire me to go out and get the rest, and things gathered dust for a while.

Then came a day I was going to be volunteering at the library's coffee shop, and I needed something to read for three hours. Ransacking the local used bookshop, I found "Blood Rites." Not my first choice, but the first one hadn't been bad, and I was pretty much out of other options - there wasn't a Christopher Stasheff there I didn't already own, and nothing else appealed. So I bought it, and read it.

. . . I owned the rest of the series by the end of the week.

No - she'd eat me alive. Possibly literally. I think, given the choice, I'd rather wait a few more years for Ivy to finish growing up.

See, I was a huge fan of Anita Blake back in the day. You know, back when she use to solve paranormal murders and shoot things and not sleep with the monsters. Then . . . yeahhhhh.

Ah, Anita Blake: Vampire Humper.

Agreed wholeheartedly - although my sister thinks that means I have a problem with strong female characters. :rolleyes:

Elf
December 28th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Ah, Anita Blake: Vampire Humper. I do have to wonder what happened to turn the author on to bestiality, really.

She divorced her first husband and hooked up with some new guy. Like Richard represented her first husband and Micah the second. You know, with the even BIGGER penis. So she splashed all of her personal shit all over the pages of her books and they became unreadable.

Dresden Files is certainly better (not that that's hard) but I have to agree with Elf; there are way too many pop culture references, and it makes the anti-postmodernist within me cry with great agony. Jim Butcher is a pretty good writer, though; if only he'd keep to making homages, rather than outright, direct references.

Well, it's something that Roadbuster's been trying to break me out of my own writing for a long time. Then I read "Ghost Story" and went "Okay, that's just a little annoying . . ." Like don't point out the reference. Let the reader find it.

Vanathor
December 29th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Twilight: A girls choice between necrophelia and beastiality. ;)

TypeWannabe
January 17th, 2012, 03:53 PM
You know what might be funny, based on that crossover with F/sn thing that was in teh crossover thread? If Saber was, for whatever reason, fighting the Gruffs and had to use Avalon, only to run into Titania (because I always picture Avalon as a bit of a sunny place, and the Summer Court is all about dat yo).

T: Sup.

S: FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU-

Moczo
January 17th, 2012, 10:29 PM
My sister just started reading today. Four hours and she's already halfway through 'Storm Front'. It's always fun to watch a new addict emerge. =3

Erlkonig
January 22nd, 2012, 08:10 AM
Reading the first book.

The White Council dudes are massive asshats.

Massive.

eddyak
January 22nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
That's just Morgan, on his own.

Wait till you actually see the Council.

Erlkonig
January 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM
They're that bad?

Also, why does everyone think Harry's the one that KILL PPL

eddyak
January 22nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Because he's already killed someone.

Erlkonig
January 22nd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Self-defense.

giorno
January 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
he killed someone with black magic. Black magic is addictive...

eddyak
January 22nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
Self-defense.
Technicality that saved him. In their eyes, he's still a criminal. It's like a drug dealer who got out of his sentence because he technically wasn't selling them, he was "giving them to friends".

Erlkonig
January 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Also, are all vampires like Bianca? The whole human-that-turns-into-bat-abomination thing?

eddyak
January 22nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
Red court are the flabby black bat-things. There are three types of "vampire" (white, red and black courts, in order of decreasing... "humanity"), but the species that drink human blood aren't limited to just those. There are plenty of things that feed on humans.

Erlkonig
January 22nd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Do Dragons exist? I faintly remember Harry mentioning them some pages ago

eddyak
January 22nd, 2012, 01:59 PM
Uh... Yeah. But the only one we've seen was along the lines of the chinese dragons, only in human form. Chinese dragons are basically sort of like cosmic deities, in charge of galaxies and concepts and stuff. We briefly see one, Harry annoys him, he crumples Harry like a piece of paper with about the same effort you'd use to nudge someone, and then strolls off.

And when I say strolls off, I mean he vanishes. Like he was never there.

Erlkonig
January 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
...Whoa.

eddyak
January 22nd, 2012, 02:09 PM
We actually see some more impressive stuff (some done by Harry), but no outright break-the-damn-rules crap, like Mr Ferro did just then.

TypeWannabe
January 22nd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Harry annoys him, he crumples Harry like a piece of paper with about the same effort you'd use to nudge someone, and then strolls off.

And when I say strolls off, I mean he vanishes. Like he was never there.

You know, I never did like that phrase. If Harry was still feeling it, which if memory serves he was, I believe there was some kind of pressure put on him? anyway, that isn't "like he was never there at all".

eddyak
January 22nd, 2012, 02:45 PM
You know, I never did like that phrase. If Harry was still feeling it, which if memory serves he was, I believe there was some kind of pressure put on him? anyway, that isn't "like he was never there at all".
I think that was his godmother, actually. He got pretty badly screwed at that party. Vampire venom, Leah's contract, Ferro metaphorically leaning on him...

Not sure, but then, it's been a while since I went that far back in the books.

Erlkonig
January 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
OH DAMN SHIT JUST GOT REAL

VOODOO SCORPION

Erlkonig
January 22nd, 2012, 09:29 PM
...Just finished Storm Front.

I have to say, this was nothing short of amazing. I love how the author carefully pieces together a story that resembles one of those detective movies so much, and then builds a fantastic world around it, full of excitement and action. Speaking of action, you could really notice how strong the action scenes were, and the dangers Harry faced were, well, dangers that seemed real in that universe- that is to say, it really felt as if Harry was in actual danger.

All in all, I liked it.

Really really liked it. Dresden Files, here's a toast to you, and you get yet another fan of the series.

eddyak
January 23rd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Funny thing about Storm Front is, Butcher wrote it as a sort of "lol look how bad this sucks".

I think his words were somewhere along the lines of "And so to show my editor, I decided to write a novel like some kind of formulaic writing drone. My editor considered it publishable, and x months later, Storm Front was out."

And get used to the Harry-is-in-mortal-peril thing, it'll come up a lot. Along with Harry-is-in-pain, Harry-gets-his-butt-kicked, Harry-in-the-middle-of-a-supernatural-war, and a massive side order of holy-shit-he's-screwed.

TypeWannabe
January 23rd, 2012, 03:15 PM
And a bunch of carpenter's kicking ass.

Moczo
January 26th, 2012, 01:03 AM
And that's the joy of the series, really. I just re-read Storm Front myself a few weeks ago. And I noticed two things:

1) It is easily lower quality than the other books in the series, as one would expect from the author's first work.

2) It's STILL PRETTY FUCKIN' GOOD!

That? That, is quality I cannot argue with.

Elf
August 3rd, 2012, 11:23 PM
. . . I hate to necro a thread, but I got a Dresden newbie asking if we have a thread so . . .

It's Harry and I'm a motherfucking admin so I'm necroing the thread.

Fuck yeah, Harry's a Mother Fucking Wizard.

Fingolfin
August 3rd, 2012, 11:42 PM
. . . I hate to necro a thread, but I got a Dresden newbie asking if we have a thread so . . .

It's Harry and I'm a motherfucking admin so I'm necroing the thread.

Fuck yeah, Harry's a Mother Fucking Wizard.

Damn straight. It's practically a sin that this thread did not get more posts. Also, I am aforementioned newbie.

giorno
August 4th, 2012, 12:05 PM
now he's also the motherfucking winter knight

gaaha, the wait for cold days is killing meeee ;____;

Guy
August 4th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Just finished Ghost Story, I love this series, on the moment is my favorite series out there.

Also, I recomend reading Codex Alera too from Jim Butcher, just finished the first book and I'm enjoying it a lot (thanks eddyak).

Elf
August 4th, 2012, 03:00 PM
I just couldn't get into the Codex Alera series. Just felt wrong, but then again I'm not the biggest fan of that sort of high fantasy. Especially when it's not grimdark. When it's grimdark I love it.

And I mean Grimdark like Berserk grimdark.

Tobias
August 4th, 2012, 03:01 PM
What? Wow, really, I thought the aleta codex was great. Different strokes eh? Course I love high fantasy

TypeWannabe
August 4th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I've been meaning to read the Codex Alera series forever now, but I've been putting it off for some reason. I even know my bookstore has at least some of teh books, because I saw them there a few months ago.

eddyak
August 4th, 2012, 05:59 PM
gaaha, the wait for cold days is killing meeee ;____;
Yes. D:

Also, I recomend reading Codex Alera too from Jim Butcher, just finished the first book and I'm enjoying it a lot (thanks eddyak).
Yw.

I just couldn't get into the Codex Alera series. Just felt wrong, but then again I'm not the biggest fan of that sort of high fantasy. Especially when it's not grimdark. When it's grimdark I love it.

And I mean Grimdark like Berserk grimdark.
It does get pretty dark later on. Dunno about grim, though.

Guy
August 6th, 2012, 05:18 PM
So, which are your favorite books from the series?

We can't let this tread die!

eddyak
August 6th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Small Favour, because Ivy, Eldest Gruff kicking butt with flower power, and choke-a-bitch Harry.

Turn Coat, because motherfucking skinwalker.

Changes, because holy shit Ebenezar levelling pyramids.

giorno
August 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Changes.

i mean, are you kidding or what?

TypeWannabe
August 6th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Changes.

Guy
August 6th, 2012, 06:15 PM
For me is Small Favor, because Nicodemus.

Dead Beat, because Zombie Dino

Changes, because Changes.

giorno
August 6th, 2012, 06:46 PM
let's talk about more serious stuff :p

who do you ship harry with? :D

personally, i got 3 ships, Molly(OH YEAH), Lea(this WILL happen, you all know it) and Lara(because C'MON, if she weren't a succubus, they would've been having massive amounts of super-angry-hate-sex since blood rites)

(plus imaginary ship with Lash/Lasciel)

(plus a fifth hidden ship of mega-doom, with crazy-super-yandere-Mab)

Guy
August 6th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Threesome between Murph and Lash.

Even she is on your mind still counts.

eddyak
August 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Having gotten into Jim Butcher's mindset to write Cold Fates, I find myself laughing maniacally at the idea of Harry shipped with someone.

Or maliciously cackling, at any rate.

Harry will never have a happy ending. Whether he ends up with whichever psychotic she-demon wants to jump (or eat) his bones at the moment because he'll never get a regular woman, or be foreveralone.jpg is another matter.

giorno
August 6th, 2012, 08:06 PM
never talked about an happy end here :p

but i'm positive he's gonna bone lea, and probably lara and lash(somehow) before the end, and hope he'll enter a relationship with molly, even if he dies in the end(and we all know he will die in the end, and end right back up into jack's office....)

TypeWannabe
August 6th, 2012, 08:11 PM
I never really pair up characters in books. Its weird, and you're weird for doing it.

Guy
August 6th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Harry will never have a happy ending. Whether he ends up with whichever psychotic she-demon wants to jump (or eat) his bones at the moment because he'll never get a regular woman, or be foreveralone.jpg is another matter.

Funny, I think that Harry will have a happy ending (or at least as happy as someone who survives an freaking apocalipse can have).

but i'm positive he's gonna bone lea, and probably lara and lash(somehow) before the end, and hope he'll enter a relationship with molly, even if he dies in the end(and we all know he will die in the end, and end right back up into jack's office....)

He will never bone Lea, she loves him like a godson, on her way at least.

Having sex with Lara would be OOC, he resists temptations, that's a big part of his character, same for Molly and Lash (sadly).

The only women I see him with would be Murph, but that's because they are such good friends, although after Ghost Story, I'm starting to doubt it.

I never really pair up characters in books. Its weird, and you're weird for doing it.

Okay.jpg

giorno
August 6th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Having sex with Lara would be OOC, he resists temptations, that's a big part of his character
i think he will start to change(though not much) already by cold days, and then will fall, HARD, either right before the apocalypse(don't count out the possibility of harry starting it in the first place) or midway through it

Guy
August 6th, 2012, 09:37 PM
i think he will start to change(though not much) already by cold days, and then will fall, HARD, either right before the apocalypse(don't count out the possibility of harry starting it in the first place) or midway through it

Honestly, I hope not lol.

I mean half of the fun of Dresden Files is Harry, heroic, chauvinist, more stubborn than a fallen angel...

I don't really want to see him falling so low.

Also, there is the whole "Mab can't change who you are" thing.

But, opinions.

eddyak
August 7th, 2012, 05:10 AM
The only women I see him with would be Murph, but that's because they are such good friends, although after Ghost Story, I'm starting to doubt it.
After Love Hurts and Changes, I do not see this. Ever.

Guy
August 7th, 2012, 07:24 AM
After Love Hurts and Changes, I do not see this. Ever.

Haven't read Side Jobs, it's pretty hard to find a Dresden Files regular novel here, Side Jobs is almost impossible lol.

But, after Ghost story I'm finding it harder to see them as a couple too.

So, which is the book you liked least?

giorno
August 7th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Honestly, I hope not lol.

I mean half of the fun of Dresden Files is Harry, heroic, chauvinist, more stubborn than a fallen angel...

I don't really want to see him falling so low.

Also, there is the whole "Mab can't change who you are" thing.

But, opinions.

after ghost story, he will change. The whole point of the book was showing the consequences of harry's shortsightedness. Yes, he will keep being heroic, but i see him changing a bit, becoming a bit more like ebenezar...

eddyak
August 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Haven't read Side Jobs, it's pretty hard to find a Dresden Files regular novel here, Side Jobs is almost impossible lol.

That is what the internet is for.

Probably Fool Moon. It just... lacks something the others have.

TypeWannabe
August 7th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I can't say I have a least favorite. What's the book with the vampires in it? Or the wizard?

Guy
August 7th, 2012, 01:37 PM
after ghost story, he will change. The whole point of the book was showing the consequences of harry's shortsightedness. Yes, he will keep being heroic, but i see him changing a bit, becoming a bit more like ebenezar...

I'm not saying that I don't want him to mature, becoming more Ebenezar-like to me is fine, I said that I did not wanted him to fall so hard that something his personality changes too much, I want him to keep being Harry.

That is what the internet is for.

Isn't it for porn?

Probably Fool Moon. It just... lacks something the others have.

Fool Moon is the weakest IMO too, seems like add nothing to the story.

I can't say I have a least favorite. What's the book with the vampires in it? Or the wizard?

Fool Moon, definitely Fool Moon.

The Curious Fan
August 11th, 2012, 10:37 AM
let's talk about more serious stuff :p

who do you ship harry with? :D

personally, i got 3 ships, Molly(OH YEAH), Lea(this WILL happen, you all know it) and Lara(because C'MON, if she weren't a succubus, they would've been having massive amounts of super-angry-hate-sex since blood rites)

(plus imaginary ship with Lash/Lasciel)

(plus a fifth hidden ship of mega-doom, with crazy-super-yandere-Mab)

Personally, Harry/Lash, Harry/Molly and Harry Mab are my ships.

Having gotten into Jim Butcher's mindset to write Cold Fates, I find myself laughing maniacally at the idea of Harry shipped with someone.

Or maliciously cackling, at any rate.

He's been promised a happy ending and survival in the end.

Already been done by Lea IIRC, it was just entirely non-consensual on his part.

Funny, I think that Harry will have a happy ending (or at least as happy as someone who survives an freaking apocalipse can have).

He will never bone Lea, she loves him like a godson, on her way at least.

Having sex with Lara would be OOC, he resists temptations, that's a big part of his character, same for Molly and Lash (sadly).

Do Godmothers normally look at their godsons with lust as part of their default look?:D

And is it really a temptation if Lash makes a turnaround like hinted?

The point of Ghost Story was to make sure he wouldn't do that.

Fool Moon, Murphy ruined it.

Isn't it for porn?

The Internet is multipurpose.

eddyak
August 11th, 2012, 12:00 PM
Hmmmmmmmm..........?

If he does get one, it'll be one a la Michael. Horribly crippled, no longer a wizard, but happy. Hooray!

Already been done by Lea IIRC, it was just entirely non-consensual on his part.
Really?

TypeWannabe
August 11th, 2012, 12:04 PM
I think (think, don't remember for sure) he's getting her mixed up with Mab. Who he had to pork in order to gain the power to freeze the sperm in his testicles.

The Curious Fan
August 11th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Hmmmmmmmm..........?

If he does get one, it'll be one a la Michael. Horribly crippled, no longer a wizard, but happy. Hooray!

Really?

Different cases, cripple end would be bad end for Harry, not least because he would be killed by his still surviving enemies within the week or because he has no source of income other than Wizard.

That and depending on the success of his "acquire Nick's Noose" hopes, he may not be able to be crippled.

I think (think, don't remember for sure) he's getting her mixed up with Mab. Who he had to pork in order to gain the power to freeze the sperm in his testicles.

No, I was referring to the fact that Lea was arguably implied to have raped him when he was 16, not the sex with Mab in Changes.

eddyak
August 11th, 2012, 01:33 PM
That and depending on the success of his "acquire Nick's Noose" hopes, he may not be able to be crippled.
I don't think the noose is that high up on Harry's priorities. It's something Butcher said would be handy, if he could get his hands on it- but it's not exactly in Harry's plans, or he'd have yanked it off ol' Nick before he pushed him off the boat.

No, I was referring to the fact that Lea was arguably implied to have raped him when he was 16, not the sex with Mab in Changes.
Is it? I don't remember him ever saying anything along those lines- he's said he made a stupid mistake a couple times, but nothing along those lines.

The Curious Fan
August 11th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Is it? I don't remember him ever saying anything along those lines- he's said he made a stupid mistake a couple times, but nothing along those lines.

Chapter 9 of Grave peril.

I dreamed.

The nightmare felt familiar, almost comfortable, though it had been years since I'd gone through it. It began in a cave, its walls made of translucent crystal, all but glowing in the dim light of the fire beneath the cauldron. The silver manacles were tight on my wrists, and I was too dizzy to keep my own balance. I looked to the left and right and watched my blood glide down over the manacles from where they pierced my wrists like thorns, then fall into a pair of earthen bowls set out beneath them.

My godmother came to me, pale and breathtaking in the firelight, her hair spilling down around her like a cloud of silk. The sidhe lady was beautiful beyond the pale of mortals, her eyes bewitching, her mouth more tempting than the most luscious fruit. She kissed my bare chest. Shudders of cold pleasure ran through me.

"Soon," she whispered, between kisses. "Only a few more nights of the dark moon, my sweetling, and you will be strong enough."

She kept kissing me, and I began to lose my vision. Cold pleasure, faerie magic, coursed through her lips like a drug, so sweet that it was almost an agony of its own, and made the torment of the bonds, the blood loss, almost worthwhile. Almost. I felt myself gasping for breath, and stared at the fire, focusing on it, trying to keep from falling into the darkness.

The dream changed. I dreamt of fire. Someone I had once loved like a father stood in the middle of it, screaming in agony. They were black screams, horrible screams, high-pitched and utterly without pride or dignity or humanity. In the dream, as in life, I forced myself to watch flesh blacken and flake away from sizzling muscle and baking bone, watched muscles contract in tortured spasms while I stood over the fire and, metaphorically speaking, blew on the coals.

"Justin," I whispered. In the end, I couldn't watch any longer. I closed my eyes and bowed my head, listening to the thunder of my own heart pounding in my ears. Pounding. My heart pounding.

I came out of the dream, blinked opened my eyes. My door rattled on its frame under a series of hammering blows. Susan woke up at the same time, sitting up, the blanket we'd been curled under gliding down over the curves of her breasts. It was still dark outside. The longest candle hadn't yet burned away, but the fire was down to embers again.

Some people read it as her raping him due to similarities to the scene where he gets caught by the Vamps near the end of Grave Peril. Personally, I'm thinking it possible but I have some difficulty with seeing how they got onto the good terms they had in Ghost Story from that if they're right.

giorno
August 11th, 2012, 07:02 PM

both things are relative :p

The point of Ghost Story was to make sure he wouldn't do that.
and the point of nicodemus, lasciel, the fallen angels in general AND DEMONREACH is to make sure he would...

The Curious Fan
August 11th, 2012, 08:16 PM
and the point of nicodemus, lasciel, the fallen angels in general AND DEMONREACH is to make sure he would...

Which they're failing spectacularly at. And Demonreach's purpose isn't to corrupt Harry.

giorno
August 11th, 2012, 08:44 PM
no, but if harry ever taps into its power(and he will), it may very well do just that...or at least make things a hell of a lot easier for the lasciel...

The Curious Fan
August 12th, 2012, 12:51 AM
no, but if harry ever taps into its power(and he will), it may very well do just that...or at least make things a hell of a lot easier for the lasciel...

Only if he still sucks at control when he taps that power. Otherwise he's fine.

Guy
August 15th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Do Godmothers normally look at their godsons with lust as part of their default look?:D

Her way is weird.:p

What does Lasciel has to do with Demonreach?

Also, how does the first law of magic works really? Does a kill made by an indirect effect of the spell counts? For example smoke while using fire magic, is it a crime?

giorno
August 15th, 2012, 01:46 PM
technically yes, i think? harry was supposed to be worried about having killed people with magic in grave peril when set bianca's mansion on fire...

TypeWannabe
August 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM
harry was supposed to be worried about having killed people with magic in grave peril when set bianca's mansion on fire...

That's less because he cares about the rules and more because he has a sense of morality.

The Curious Fan
August 15th, 2012, 06:14 PM
What does Lasciel has to do with Demonreach?

Also, how does the first law of magic works really? Does a kill made by an indirect effect of the spell counts? For example smoke while using fire magic, is it a crime?

Probably, consequences matter.

giorno
August 15th, 2012, 06:48 PM
That's less because he cares about the rules and more because he has a sense of morality.
nono, i seem to recall he was also kinda-not-really-worried about the wardens(of course, the wardens meant little, he was more worried about the possibility of having killed people)

The Curious Fan
August 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM
nono, i seem to recall he was also kinda-not-really-worried about the wardens(of course, the wardens meant little, he was more worried about the possibility of having killed people)

Chapter 31 of Grave Peril.

The darkness swallowed me and kept me for a long time. There was nothing but silence where I drifted, nothing but endless night. I wasn't cold. I wasn't warm. I wasn't anything. No thought, no dreams, no anything.

It was too good to last.

The pain of the burns came to me first. Burns are the worst injuries in the world. I'd been scorched on my right arm and shoulder, and it throbbed with a dull persistence that dragged me out of the peace. All the other assorted scrapes and bruises and cuts came back to me. I felt like a collection of complaints and malfunctions. I ached everywhere.

Memory came through the haze next. I started remembering what had happened. The Nightmare. The vampire ball. The kids who had been seduced into being there.

And the fire.

Oh, God. What had I done?

I thought of the fire, towering up in walls of solid flame, reaching out with hungry arms to drag the vampires screaming back into the pyre I had made of the hedges and the trees.

Stars and stones. Those children had been helpless in that. In the fire and the smoke that I'd needed a major sidhe sorceress's assistance to escape. I had never stopped to think about that. I had never even considered the consequences of unleashing my power that way.

I opened my eyes. I lay in my bed in my room. I stumbled out of the bed and into my bathroom. Someone must have fed me soup at some point, because when I started throwing up, there was something left to come out.

Killed them. I killed those kids. My magic, the magic that was the energy of creation and life itself had reached out and burned them to death.

I threw up until my belly ached with the violence of it, wild grief running rampant over me. I struggled, but I couldn't force the images out of my head. Children burning. Justin burning. Magic defines a man. It comes from down deep inside you. You can't accomplish anything with magic that isn't in you, somewhere, to do.

And I had burned those children alive.

My power. My choice. My fault.

I sobbed.

I didn't come to myself until Michael came into the bathroom. By the time he did, I lay on my side, curled up tight, the water of the shower pouring down over me, the cold making me shiver. Everything hurt, inside and out. My face ached, from being twisted up so tightly. My throat had closed almost completely as I wept.

Doesn't sound worried about the Wardens to me.

giorno
August 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
so i guess my memory failed me again

;_;

The Curious Fan
August 16th, 2012, 08:26 PM
We are thrilled to announce that book 14 of The Dresden Files, COLD DAYS, is coming your way November 27, 2012!

http://jim-butcher.com/pics/cdcover_lg.jpg

The eagerly awaited new novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling Dresden Files series.

HARRY DRESDEN LIVES!!!

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn't all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago's only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. After Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn't about to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now, her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, and no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first?

Of course, it won't be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could land Harry in the sort of trouble that will make death look like a holiday.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own…

His soul.

-----

To be released in hardcover from Penguin/Roc publishing, November 27, 2012.

At present, it's only preorderable from our store (http://jim-butcher.com/store/) through Barnes and Noble, but you should be able to preorder it through IndieBound or Amazon in the next few days.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,33582.0.html

TypeWannabe
August 16th, 2012, 08:31 PM
ARE YOU READY I'M READY

The Curious Fan
August 16th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Also, just noticed, his hand looks almost normal now rather than like a roasted wreck of a limb. His wizard healing is nearly done fixing the arm it seems.

Also, shotgun and no staff, is he going fociless?

warellis
August 16th, 2012, 08:45 PM
November 27th. Hey has anyone read all of the Bigfoot anthology stories, and has that Molly short story come out yet?

The Curious Fan
August 16th, 2012, 08:49 PM
November 27th. Hey has anyone read all of the Bigfoot anthology stories, and has that Molly short story come out yet?

2 out of 3 of the Bigfoot stories are out with the last due 28/08/12. The Molly short story is unreleased and I'm not sure when it's out but it's set between Ghost Story and Cold Days.

eddyak
August 16th, 2012, 09:08 PM
I am hard and waiting, and will be until this comes out and I have read it cover to cover seven and a half times.

Also, the bigfoot stories are out? Whaaaaaaaaaa

The Curious Fan
August 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I am hard and waiting, and will be until this comes out and I have read it cover to cover seven and a half times.

Also, the bigfoot stories are out? Whaaaaaaaaaa

They've been out for a month or two.

giorno
August 17th, 2012, 11:23 AM
FUCK YES

Guy
August 17th, 2012, 06:33 PM
snip

Now we have a date at least.

Dammit, I want to read it, this wait is killing me.

eddyak
August 17th, 2012, 06:58 PM
We were all born ten years too late.

Or discovered the series ten years too early.

The Curious Fan
August 17th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Any speculation on who the immortal mentioned in the blurb is?

TypeWannabe
August 17th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Odin? Erlkonig? Metamorpho the Morphing Man?

Guy
August 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Duh, it's Roa, that's the book where Harry gets the MEoDP.

The Curious Fan
August 17th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Odin? Erlkonig? Metamorpho the Morphing Man?

Odin? Maybe.

Erl? Faeries don't die of old age but they aren't immortal enough to qualify as seemingly impossible to kill.

Meta? Maybe.

Duh, it's Roa, that's the book where Harry gets the MEoDP.

The one power that is simultaneously convenient and yet will bite the rest of his ass off when Cthulhu shows up.

Elf
August 18th, 2012, 04:17 AM
. . . I just hope this one has less pop culture references. Man, I love me some pop culture, but every chapter having two X-Men references is a little much. Even though the, "Bamf mother fucker!" line got me good.

Also, I'm betting he may have to fight Odin, which is why he was introduced in "Changes". Or Odin may show up again. I hope he does, Odin is awesome.

The Curious Fan
August 18th, 2012, 05:31 AM
. . . I just hope this one has less pop culture references. Man, I love me some pop culture, but every chapter having two X-Men references is a little much. Even though the, "Bamf mother fucker!" line got me good.

Also, I'm betting he may have to fight Odin, which is why he was introduced in "Changes". Or Odin may show up again. I hope he does, Odin is awesome.

It has been confirmed that we will see more of Norse Mythology. But I doubt it will be in this book.

And the pop culture references were probably Harry's way of keeping himself entertained since he couldn't interact with many people.

eddyak
August 18th, 2012, 06:14 AM
I'm guessing the immortal is someone who's human (or near enough that Mab can't just head out and kill him herself).

It's probably gonna be someone we don't know. Or Nidocemus. We're due another dose of Denarian, it's been... what, three or four books since they last showed up?

The Curious Fan
August 18th, 2012, 07:09 AM
I'm guessing the immortal is someone who's human (or near enough that Mab can't just head out and kill him herself).

It's probably gonna be someone we don't know. Or Nidocemus. We're due another dose of Denarian, it's been... what, three or four books since they last showed up?

Nick's due for book 15.

And why would someone human qualify as an impossible to kill target? Mab can still do things like transform them into a puppy and teleport them into the path of a train if she really wants them dead.

eddyak
August 18th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Immortal, remember?

She can't outright kill them herself, but she can't just drop them into a pool of piranha and expect that to kill them.

giorno
August 18th, 2012, 12:43 PM
am i the only one who thinks we're due to see dracula's dad?

Guy
August 18th, 2012, 01:56 PM

The pop culture references in Ghost Story were a little too much IMO, less would be better.

Odin is baws.

am i the only one who thinks we're due to see dracula's dad?

That's a good point, he has been referenced a lot before.

giorno
August 18th, 2012, 06:00 PM
The pop culture references in Ghost Story were a little too much IMO, less would be better.
Blasphemy and lies

eddyak
August 18th, 2012, 07:14 PM
I think that had something to do with the fact that Harry had, like, three people he could actually speak to, spread throughout the entire book. He mostly just talked to himself, and when Dresden talks to himself, you get a whole lot of hilarity, a whole lot of crazy, and a whole lot of nothing.

Guy
August 19th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Perhaps, makes sense at least.

So, anyone thinks that we will see Fix and Lily next book?

The Curious Fan
August 19th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Perhaps, makes sense at least.

So, anyone thinks that we will see Fix and Lily next book?

Pretty much a given.

Kieran
August 20th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah - poor Fix's worst nightmare come to life.

The Curious Fan
August 22nd, 2012, 10:28 PM
The UK blurb is out: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Days-Dresden-Files-Novel/dp/0356500896

You can't keep a good wizard down - even when he wants to stay that way.

For years, Harry Dresden has been Chicago's only professional wizard, but a bargain made in desperation with the Queen of Air and Darkness has forced him into a new job: professional killer.

Mab, the mother of wicked faeries, has restored the mostly-dead wizard to health, and dispatches him upon his first mission - to bring death to an immortal. Even as he grapples with the impossible task, Dresden learns of a looming danger to Demonreach, the living island hidden upon Lake Michigan, a place whose true purpose and dark potential have the potential to destroy billions and to land Dresden in the deepest trouble he has ever known - even deeper than being dead. How messed up is that?

Beset by his new enemies and hounded by the old, Dresden has only twenty four hours to reconnect with his old allies, prevent a cataclysm and do the impossible - all while the power he bargained to get - but never meant to keep - lays siege to his very soul.

Magic. It can get a guy killed.

eddyak
August 23rd, 2012, 04:40 AM
Oh god lol

Now I know what Jim was thinking when he said "Now we can get to the fun stuff".

The Curious Fan
August 23rd, 2012, 05:08 AM
Oh god lol

Now I know what Jim was thinking when he said "Now we can get to the fun stuff".

It only gets better from here.

And 24 hours? They're going to include Demonreach, Ebenezar, the Justice Laegue, the Gruffs, the new immortal guy, Cowl and the Black Council, Fix and the guy who made the Hexenwulfen belts into 24 hours? That's gotta be the mother of all busy days.

eddyak
August 23rd, 2012, 05:47 AM
I have a feeling a lot of those are the same thing.

The Curious Fan
August 23rd, 2012, 05:58 AM
No, we've supposedly met the guy who made the Hexenwulfen belts (and several people have apparently figured out who he is) so he's not some new guy out of nowhere, Cowl is mortal so he can't do double duty as immortal guy (though he may be the belt maker), admittedly, the immortal guy may be the overt Black Council action we were promised would happen in Cold Days.

Guy
August 24th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Oh god lol

​.

Sorry for changing the subject, but am I the only one who likes Elaine?

Seriously, everyone trashs her.

giorno
August 24th, 2012, 08:12 PM
no, i like her too. She's just overshadowed by other, better characters..

The Curious Fan
August 24th, 2012, 09:53 PM
​.

Sorry for changing the subject, but am I the only one who likes Elaine?

Seriously, everyone trashs her.

No, you're not.

ratstsrub
August 24th, 2012, 11:37 PM
Lol, Butcher went all 24 on us.

The Curious Fan
August 25th, 2012, 12:45 AM
Lol, Butcher went all 24 on us.

It's really more a day and a half, "he only has 31 hours and 22 minutes" just isn't as punchy though, so the blurb said 24 hours.

warellis
August 25th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Does anyone feel the cases are way too short in time? For instance the Cold Day's case has to be finished in 24 hours, 1 day. Many of Harry's cases take only 2 or 3 days at most, and these are for world shaking events.

eddyak
August 25th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Yeah, Jim likes putting time limits on Harry.

Nothing like a literal deadline.

TypeWannabe
August 25th, 2012, 10:39 AM
"OK, time to test drive my new Winter Knight. Yo, you have twenty four hours to get me a bagel. I fuckin' love bagels. Fail and I'll sex you to death."

The Curious Fan
August 25th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Does anyone feel the cases are way too short in time? For instance the Cold Day's case has to be finished in 24 hours, 1 day. Many of Harry's cases take only 2 or 3 days at most, and these are for world shaking events.

The world shaking events covered in the books are just the starts of things and some world shaking events don't take long to start up at all (and if one starts just as the book ends, there's generally a timeskip infodump explaining it, like the explanation of how the White Council reacted post-Peabody in Turn Coat).

And see post #119, it's a day and a half, not that much shorter than the two day books.

Guy
August 27th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Just finished Side Jobs, gotta say, Murph is such a badass.

Also, Gard is awesome, nothing said.

The Curious Fan
August 27th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Just finished Side Jobs, gotta say, Murph is such a badass.

Also, Gard is awesome, nothing said.

Yes, Gard is awesome and her story provides some interesting and amusing quotes.

legoguydude
September 2nd, 2012, 10:19 AM
The immortal in question is probably Shagnasty. Or maybe Ferrovax; he's supposed to show up later, right?

eddyak
September 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Dragons won't be showing up properly until the last three books, says Jim. The naagloshii is only semi-immortal, and Mab has no beef with it in any case.

I'm betting it's one of those guys who came after her in Arctis Tor.

The Curious Fan
September 2nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
The immortal in question is probably Shagnasty. Or maybe Ferrovax; he's supposed to show up later, right?

Ferro and the Dragons are last case book or BAT.

eddyak
September 2nd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I just hope the last book doesn't end with some bullshit like Kemmler's ghost's is the big bad behind all this.

The Curious Fan
September 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM
I just hope the last book doesn't end with some bullshit like Kemmler's ghost's is the big bad behind all this.

Kemmler is very, very, very dead by WoJ, he isn't coming back. I'd say the Old Ones are more likely big bads.

And from some WoJs, Kemmler was quite a bit weaker than a fair few things in the setting.

eddyak
September 2nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
Kemmler is very, very, very dead by WoJ, he isn't coming back.
Wasn't that quote about Justin?

I'd say the Old Ones are more likely big bads.
Probably. But then, given the curveballs he seems to like throwing, I bet there's somebody behind them, too.

And from some WoJs, Kemmler was quite a bit weaker than a fair few things in the setting.
Ofc. But most things stronger than him don't really see humanity as something to be protected. Or even notice humanity at all.

legoguydude
September 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM

No, Justin is D-E-D. Which is mostly dead, which is slightly alive, presumably. He has some shot as the BBEG, I guess.

Probably. But then, given the curveballs he seems to like throwing, I bet there's somebody behind them, too.

My money's on Titania. There's definately a reason we still haven't seen her so far.

The Curious Fan
September 2nd, 2012, 12:49 PM

There's been quotes about both of them, Justin is very dead and Kemmler is at least as dead a Justin, going by those two comments I'd day they're both just part of the background rather than coming back.

Maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

No, Justin is D-E-D. Which is mostly dead, which is slightly alive, presumably. He has some shot as the BBEG, I guess.

My money's on Titania. There's definately a reason we still haven't seen her so far.

Okay, I just wanna say I finished reading Proven Guilty just a while ago and I have a real quick question before the serious interview: "Justin's behind everything, isn't he?"
Justin's dead...look, look...he's dead, he's dead.
Dead, dead?
Jim: He's dead!
Very dead?
Jim: D-E-D dead.
Are you ever gonna change your answer, dead?
Jim: Dead.

Sounds pretty dead to me.

And as for Titania, there's apparently a reason we haven't seen her but we've also been told that her only interest in Harry is messing with him rather than anything else. You'd think a would-be big bad would pay more attention to him than that.

eddyak
September 2nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
They should've asked him about Justin's ghost.

The Curious Fan
September 2nd, 2012, 06:19 PM
They should've asked him about Justin's ghost.

Wouldn't it have died instantly due to the flames?

eddyak
September 2nd, 2012, 06:44 PM
Possibly.

giorno
September 2nd, 2012, 07:11 PM
duh, it's going to end with an apocalyptic trilogy

final BBEG should be obvious... ​marcone

eddyak
September 2nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
duh, it's going to end with an apocalyptic trilogy

final BBEG should be obvious... ​marcone
Sauron?

giorno
September 2nd, 2012, 07:34 PM
sauron be weaksauce. at least morgoth

serious answer: it's gonna be either lucifer/satan or the big bad boss of the outsiders...which may or may not be the same being...

The Curious Fan
September 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM
sauron be weaksauce. at least morgoth

serious answer: it's gonna be either lucifer/satan or the big bad boss of the outsiders...which may or may not be the same being...

Lucifer is already kinda outgunned against Heaven, adding everything else against him would turn it into a curbstomp.

legoguydude
September 3rd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Lucifer is already kinda outgunned against Heaven, adding everything else against him would turn it into a curbstomp.

That's what happens when you go toe to toe with God.

The Curious Fan
September 3rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
That's what happens when you go toe to toe with God.

Hell is outgunned even without God personally stepping in, mook Angels (and Fallen too I suppose) are potential planet busters and Heaven has a lot more than Hell IIRC.

Guy
September 3rd, 2012, 01:03 PM

That might be true, the RPG hints that Lucifer has been more active lately.

eddyak
September 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Hell is outgunned even without God personally stepping in, mook Angels (and Fallen too I suppose) are potential planet busters and Heaven has a lot more than Hell IIRC.
Angels? Pfft. Archangels have universe-stopping powers, and up above has three or four times as many of those as down below.

The Curious Fan
September 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Angels? Pfft. Archangels have universe-stopping powers, and up above has three or four times as many of those as down below.

True, though universe stopping is probably an overestimate of what they can do (if it isn't, I wonder what the supposedly even more powerful Mothers can do).

eddyak
September 3rd, 2012, 02:23 PM
The Mothers are beyond Archangel tier?

The Curious Fan
September 3rd, 2012, 02:30 PM
The Mothers are beyond Archangel tier?

If Lea's Mab = Archangel statement in Summer Knight is true, then yes, they are even more powerful. If it's not true, they're still ridiculously powerful.

eddyak
September 3rd, 2012, 02:43 PM
And Lea seriously thought she could take Mab?

Guess that athame really fucked with her, huh?

Tobias
September 8th, 2012, 08:49 AM
or it was re-freaking-diculiouly insane strength. It was considered to be an equal trade for the strongest of the three swords.

giorno
September 8th, 2012, 09:21 AM
If Lea's Mab = Archangel statement in Summer Knight is true, then yes, they are even more powerful. If it's not true, they're still ridiculously powerful.
wait, wasn't it mothers=archangels?

The Curious Fan
September 8th, 2012, 12:49 PM
wait, wasn't it mothers=archangels?

Only in the RPG. In Summer Knight...

"The war," I said. "They'll fight for control of the area around the Table. If Summer holds the space, it won't matter if it's Winter's time or not. Mab won't be able to reach the table, spill blood on it, and add the power of the Summer Knight to Winter." I took a breath. "There was a sense to what they were doing. As though it was a ritual. Something they'd done before."

"Of course," Lea said. "They exist in opposition. Each wields vast power, wizard - power to rival the archangels and lesser gods. But they cancel one another flawlessly. And in the end, the board will be evenly divided. The lesser pieces will emerge and do battle to decide the balance."

And yeah, the Athame is very, very powerful.

The Curious Fan
September 18th, 2012, 03:00 AM
We have a release date for the short story collection Dangerous Women containing the Molly pov novella Bombshells. It will be out in May 2013!

The Curious Fan
September 24th, 2012, 10:13 PM
And here are the collected WoJ spoilers so that we can continue discussion of them here rather than in the should we kill people thread.

And here are the spoilers for Cold Days, excluding the one in my sig about there being another event with massive implications for the Dresdenverse.

Q: Have we met the people who created the Hexenwolf belts yet?

A: That's another "I'm not gonna tell you" question. I will say, "kind of," "not really," and "yes." But we'll get into more of that duringCold Days as well.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22558.msg1252323.html#msg1252323

Also, sorry for the triple post.

You can't keep a good wizard down - even when he wants to stay that way.For years, Harry Dresden has been Chicago's only professional wizard, but a bargain made in desperation with the Queen of Air and Darkness has forced him into a new job: professional killer.
Mab, the mother of wicked faeries, has restored the mostly-dead wizard to health, and dispatches him upon his first mission - to bring death to an immortal. Even as he grapples with the impossible task, Dresden learns of a looming danger to Demonreach, the living island hidden upon Lake Michigan, a place whose true purpose and dark potential have the potential to destroy billions and to land Dresden in the deepest trouble he has ever known - even deeper than being dead. How messed up is that?
Beset by his new enemies and hounded by the old, Dresden has only twenty four hours to reconnect with his old allies, prevent a cataclysm and do the impossible - all while the power he bargained to get - but never meant to keep - lays siege to his very soul.
Magic. It can get a guy killed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Days-Dresden-Files-Novel/dp/0356500896

HARRY DRESDEN LIVES!!!

After being murdered by a mystery assailant, navigating his way through the realm between life and death, and being brought back to the mortal world, Harry realizes that maybe death wasn’t all that bad. Because he is no longer Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard.

He is now Harry Dresden, Winter Knight to Mab, the Queen of Air and Darkness. After Harry had no choice but to swear his fealty, Mab wasn’t about to let something as petty as death steal away the prize she had sought for so long. And now, her word is his command, no matter what she wants him to do, no matter where she wants him to go, and no matter who she wants him to kill.

Guess which Mab wants first?

Of course, it won’t be an ordinary, everyday assassination. Mab wants her newest minion to pull off the impossible: kill an immortal. No problem there, right? And to make matters worse, there exists a growing threat to an unfathomable source of magic that could land Harry in the sort of trouble that will make death look like a holiday.

Beset by enemies new and old, Harry must gather his friends and allies, prevent the annihilation of countless innocents, and find a way out of his eternal subservience before his newfound powers claim the only thing he has left to call his own…

His soul.

http://www.jim-butcher.com/posts/2012/cold-days-november-27th-2012

ARE WE GOING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT BOB AND HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH MAB AND COMPANY ANYTIME?

Yeah - we're gonna do a whole bunch of fairy stuff next book. The next book's gonna be all about Winter court and Dresden showing up there.

ANY TIME SOON - LIKE IN THE NEXT 2 BOOKS - ARE WE GIONG TO GET ANY MOVEMENT ON HARRY'S CONNECTION TO THE OUTSIDERS?

Yeah, probably pretty soon - I can't keep putting it off much longer. Although it is fun to tease you. I eventually have to deliver or else it's no good.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,22558.msg1326288.html#msg1326288

You’ve mentioned several times that marriages are used to seal pacts and alliances, will Harry be forced into a marriage, and will it be with Lara [Raith]?

What makes you think that Harry hasn’t been forced into a marriage already? I mean, the whole thing with Mab, come on. Read more book. Read the most recent one, and see if that doesn’t give you more answers. Certainly, he’s in it deep with Mab at the moment, because there’ll be none of this, “He’s going to get out of this because he was technically dead”—no, it’s too easy.

Shecky: Eldest brother Gruff and his other brothers...are we ever going to see that facet of the....

Jim: Will we ever see the Gruffs again? Yes, probably in Cold Days. Here (points) with the glasses.

Audience member: Are Fix and Harry going to have an epic battle?

Jim: Are who? Oh, are Fix and Harry gonna go toe to toe? Maybe. And Fix is a lot better at doing his Knight stuff than Dresden will be. Sure, you know, hand Harry a bunch of new power, you just know that means he’s gonna get beaten up harder. That’s really what it’s there for, you know. (points) In the back, with the blonde hair.

Melissa/SherlockBones: Will we ever be hearing from Luccio again?

Jim: Will we ever be hearing from Luccio again? Yes, absolutely. She’s too cool to get rid of. You know, not when I can KILL HER HORRIBLY. They actually asked me in DC last night…they wanted me not to kill anybody else. I’m like, “Are you KIDDING? I killed the protagonist! No one’s safe!”

Audience member: Can the same be said for Kumori?

Jim: Can the same be said for Kumori? Yeah, we can’t get rid of her yet. So…yeah, not YET. You always go for the PAIN. Yeah, thank you, Buffy geeks.

Audience member: (hard to hear) Are we ever going to see like, more of his response to things that are going on and more of him as the Blackstaff?

Jim: Are we going to see more of Ebenezer’s response to what’s going on and more of him as the Blackstaff? Um, both. Next book.

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,26792.msg1201166.html#msg1201166

“1. Are the Fomor around to stay for the next half of the series or will they be a ‘one (or two) shot pony’?”

That’s always the problem with doing away with almost any given enemy–someone always rushes in to fill the power vacuum that forms. The Fomor aren’t polite enemies, like the Red Court. They’ll be around a while.

http://www.bittenbybooks.com/45367/author-jim-butcher-guest-appearance-qa-and-contest-live-here/#comment-311219

Guy
September 24th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Outsiders don't gain power, they gain a foothold (and they're more fallen and nearly forgotten gods really).

Yeah, I know, just wanted to explain it on a quicker way.

So we met the guys who made the belts? Any theory on that?

Arch-Magos Winter
September 24th, 2012, 10:19 PM

Black Council. I think.

Tobias
September 24th, 2012, 10:20 PM
I am going with wizards and or/magic users.

The Curious Fan
September 24th, 2012, 10:31 PM
Black Council. I think.

Need to be way more specific.

- - - Updated - - -

The kind of and not really parts of the answer shoot the it was Erl theory. I've got nothing otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, a WoJ I missed on the Black Council.

How soon are we going to see more direct contact with Cowl and the Black Court (sic, the context sounds like "Council")?
Next book. Yeah, next book we’ll see them again Actually, this will be really the first time I get to have them be more active than behind the scenes in terms of what role they’re playing.

Guy
September 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM
The Erl, as in Erlking?

That, makes a lot of sense actually.

The Curious Fan
September 24th, 2012, 10:33 PM
The Erl, as in Erlking?

That, makes a lot of sense actually.

Yeah, there was a theory that since the FBI building led straight to the centre of his power, it was him. The fact that we haven't really met the guy who made the Hexenwulfen Belts kinda shoot the theory down (since we've definitely met him).

Also, who else expects Harry calling the Erlking Erl and his odd reaction to it to be significant?

Guy
September 24th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Yeah, there was a theory that since the FBI building led straight to the centre of his power, it was him.

Also, Wolfs are predators.

The Erlking digs predators.

EDIT:

Also, How did Michael took on a motherfucking Dragon with capital D?

Are the Swords that powerful?

The Curious Fan
September 24th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Also, Wolfs are predators.

The Erlking digs predators.

Alas, the Erl = belts theory is probably not true, I look forward to bringing it out against the next person who tries the theory though.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, How did Michael took on a motherfucking Dragon with capital D?

Are the Swords that powerful?

The swords, combined with divine backing, remove all the opponent's powers (why Nick doesn't just speedblitz the Knights like he did Dresden for example). They may do more against truly ridiculously large opponents though it may do more, or Michael had a really long day of administering the death of a couple thousand cuts.

Guy
September 24th, 2012, 10:51 PM
How did Michael took of a motherfucking Dragon with capital D?

Are the swords that powerful?

Aren't Dragons > Mab?

(Doubleposted because endpage)

The Curious Fan
September 24th, 2012, 10:53 PM
How did Michael took of a motherfucking Dragon with capital D?

Are the swords that powerful?

Aren't Dragons > Mab?

(Doubleposted because endpage)

No, as far as we know Ferro is the only one of the Dragons that can beat Mab on earth without backup (for either side).

And reposting my answer to your question.

The swords, combined with divine backing, remove all the opponent's powers (why Nick doesn't just speedblitz the Knights like he did Dresden for example). They may do more against truly ridiculously large opponents though it may do more, or Michael had a really long day of administering the death of a couple thousand cuts.

Guy
September 24th, 2012, 10:56 PM
No, as far as we know Ferro is the only one of the Dragons that can beat Mab on earth without backup (for either side).

I see, I always wondered that.

And reposting my answer to your question.

Yeah, sorry about that.

How much stronger Mab is than Lea?

(Lea > Maeve right?)

The Curious Fan
September 24th, 2012, 11:00 PM
I see, I always wondered that.

Yeah, sorry about that.

How much stronger Mab is than Lea?

(Lea > Maeve right?)

Way, way, way, way stronger. Lea doesn't have a chance in hell against Mab.

Tobias
September 24th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Once Lea got her snazzy new pig sticker, she tried to punch mab's teeth in.

.....didnt really work out to well.

Tobias
September 24th, 2012, 11:06 PM

The Curious Fan
September 24th, 2012, 11:14 PM

We're not sure Mab is the only thing she tried to punch out, we'll probably find out for sure in Cold Days.

And how did you doublepost with the update feature?

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Can Thomas wield on of the Swords?

Mab stated that being in love turned him human.

Tobias
September 27th, 2012, 09:56 AM
didnt he use esporachius in changes? or am I misremembering

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Sanya used Esperacchius in Changes.

The Curious Fan
September 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Can Thomas wield on of the Swords?

Mab stated that being in love turned him human.

Yeah, he may be one of the candidates for one of the swords. We won't see Fidel get a wielder until book 15 or Amor until the BAT though.

- - - Updated - - -

didnt he use esporachius in changes? or am I misremembering

Santa used Esper in Changes, Murphy and Susan temporarily took up Fidel and Amor respectively.

- - - Updated - - -

As a side note, the ARC for Cold Days has been put up for auction to end on Oct 4th, expect Cold Days spoilers (that may not be consistent with what happens in Cold Days proper) shortly. If you want to bid, the price was around $120 last time I checked.

Tobias
September 27th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Huh, for some reason I thought I remembered him being tossed esporachius, ah well, must have derped.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Yeah, he may be one of the candidates for one of the swords. We won't see Fidel get a wielder until book 15 or Amor until the BAT though.

Would his superstrenght even work with the Swords?

Santa used Esper in Changes, Murphy and Susan temporarily took up Fidel and Amor respectively.

"Tiny, but fierce hohohoho"

The Curious Fan
September 27th, 2012, 10:09 AM
Would his superstrenght even work with the Swords?

Who knows, he's still pretty muscular even without the superstrength (even though he's a damn slob).

giorno
September 27th, 2012, 11:15 AM
uh, Thomas DID not become human

Mab stated that being in love made him human enough to become the winter knight, is all

and as for him wielding a sword, well...susan had no problems with it....

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 02:15 PM
uh, Thomas DID not become human

Mab stated that being in love made him human enough to become the winter knight, is all

and as for him wielding a sword, well...susan had no problems with it....

I'm not being literal man. Only a human can wield a Sword, since Thomas is in love, he is human enough.

“He is in love,” Grimalkin mrowled for Mab. “That is more than mortal enough for me.” She tilted herhead. “Though I suppose I might make him an offer, while you yet live. He would give much to hold his
love again, would he not?”

giorno
September 27th, 2012, 03:32 PM
yeah, and my point is, susan is half red court, and she had no trouble wielding the sword. And didn't lose her red court super-strength. So why should Thomas?

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 06:13 PM
She didn't?

I though she was hidden through most of the battle, so there was no way to really tell.

But now that I think, Esperaccius did nothing to him too, maybe the Swords are situational?

giorno
September 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
you'd think if the sword took away her powers, it would have been mentioned somewhere though

and btw, i don't remember, but was it ever stated that only humans can wield the swords, as opposed to "whatever works for heaven"?

The Curious Fan
September 27th, 2012, 08:39 PM
you'd think if the sword took away her powers, it would have been mentioned somewhere though

and btw, i don't remember, but was it ever stated that only humans can wield the swords, as opposed to "whatever works for heaven"?

Susan got burned when she tried to hold Fidel in Death Masks (a burn that held up her regen for 3 months even), I would guess that there's something about non-human creatures having to make it clear they're going to use the swords for the right reasons.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 09:46 PM

That's the problem of a first-person narrative, we only know what Harry does.

legoguydude
September 27th, 2012, 10:42 PM
That's the wonder of a first-person narrative, we only know what Harry does.

Fixed.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 11:02 PM
That's the wonder of a first-person narrative, we only know what Harry snarks about.

Fix it right goddamit! :p

The Curious Fan
October 21st, 2012, 11:39 PM
Spoilers have made their way onto the internet.

Click here (http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-451-46440-8) for the identity of the immortal if true and one of the presumably major antagonists.

And go to Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cold-Days-Dresden-Files-Novel/dp/0356500896) and if you have an account and prior purchase you can read all sorts of random bits of Cold Days, including a few near the end, and even if you don't have an account with a prior purchase and just have an account you can still read the first 7 pages.

eddyak
October 22nd, 2012, 08:47 PM
Oh god lol.

Jumped through the book a bit, checked out a chapter or two. This seems like it's going to be the best book yet.

legoguydude
October 22nd, 2012, 08:48 PM
How many more days again?

eddyak
October 22nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Thirty five days.

Not that I've been keeping track or anything.

The Curious Fan
October 22nd, 2012, 10:34 PM
I am so glad that I don't have a prior purchase with Amazon, I wouldn't be able to resist the spoilers.

eddyak
October 23rd, 2012, 04:39 AM
If I could handle skipping parts of a book, I probably wouldn't be able to either.

But then, I'm the kind of guy who drops a book immediately if I find out it isn't the first book in its series. No way in hell am I gonna carry on reading if I'm gonna miss out something.

The Curious Fan
November 7th, 2012, 06:17 AM
Chapters 1 and 2 of Cold Days are out on the official website.

Chapter 1: http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/cold-days-14/cold-days-ch-1

Chapter 2: http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/cold-days-14/cold-days-chapter-2

The Curious Fan
November 13th, 2012, 03:50 AM
And here's another chapter of Cold Days: http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/cold-days-14/cold-days-chapter-3

eddyak
November 14th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Why do I get the feeling he's going to stroll on up to talk to Mab there, specifically because it's against the rules?

ratstsrub
November 15th, 2012, 02:25 AM
I didn't enjoy Ghost Story all that much, but Cold Days is shaping up to be awesome.

giorno
November 15th, 2012, 07:01 AM
i think it's more likely that he'll start speaking really loud while speaking to, i dunno, cat sith or something, while actually asking stuff that only Mab can answer, making sure she hears him. Since technically, he wouldn't be speaking to her...

The Curious Fan
November 16th, 2012, 08:56 AM
i think it's more likely that he'll start speaking really loud while speaking to, i dunno, cat sith or something, while actually asking stuff that only Mab can answer, making sure she hears him. Since technically, he wouldn't be speaking to her...

Such a charmer....

The Curious Fan
November 20th, 2012, 01:29 AM
And here is chapter four in which *bleep* is owned: http://www.jim-butcher.com/books/dresden/cold-days-14/cold-days-chapter-4

ratstsrub
November 20th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Well he just signed Sarissa's death warrant.

Well more signed it. She was doomed the minute she appeared. Unless she turns out to be a baddie. Then she's still doomed.

The Curious Fan
November 20th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Well he just signed Sarissa's death warrant.

Well more signed it. She was doomed the minute she appeared. Unless she turns out to be a baddie. Then she's still doomed.

The fact that she was apparently making very overt "I'm not with him and don't support what he is doing" gestures may help her case, well that or Harry threatens Maeve out of going after her.

TypeWannabe
November 20th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Why dotcha just release the entire book while ya at it Butcha

Hermitfold
November 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Cold Days looks like it'll be really good, I'm looking forward to it.

Tobias
November 20th, 2012, 03:39 PM
My body is ready

TypeWannabe
November 20th, 2012, 03:45 PM
inb4 the girl dies

The Curious Fan
November 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Why dotcha just release the entire book while ya at it Butcha

He needs to sell books, whipping the crack addicts into a frenzy is a good way to do that.

The Curious Fan
November 21st, 2012, 03:08 AM
And here's a Reddit Jim Butcher Ask Me Anything that I should have told you guys about in hindsight.

http://www.reddit.com/user/JimButcher

Just click on the context line under each post for the posts each one was in response to.

The Curious Fan
November 23rd, 2012, 06:19 PM
For those of you interested in the Dresden Files RPG, there's a new The Paranet Papers preview.

Paranet Papers is the next volume of the rpg for those interested, it catches you up on the supernatural creatures featured up to Ghost Story and gives a lot of info on the greater Dresdenverse from what has been seen of it so far.

http://www.evilhat.com/home/paranet-neverglades-peek/

And here's the rest for those interested.

http://www.evilhat.com/home/redlands/

http://www.evilhat.com/home/paranet-vegas-peek/

http://www.evilhat.com/home/paranet-papers-sneak-peek-novgorod-4/

Someone other than me respond for once.

https://www.facebook.com/EvilHatProductions

And we need to get that like count up to 1800 so could any lurkers like this or just give advice about how to get it up that high?

eddyak
November 26th, 2012, 09:06 AM
TOMORROW

If it comes out at midnight, I'm not getting any sleep.

legoguydude
November 26th, 2012, 10:51 AM
...I'm going on a trip tomorrow...

The Curious Fan
November 26th, 2012, 11:54 AM
It's the 27th here, so to the local store I go....

eddyak
November 26th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Kindle, bitches.

giorno
November 26th, 2012, 05:48 PM
i hate you guys

i'm not getting it delivered at least until december 1 >__<

also, it comes out on the 29th here in the UK i think >.<

eddyak
November 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM
also, it comes out on the 29th here in the UK i think >.<
Holy shit, you're right.

GOD DAMN IT.

Gonna avoid this thread like the plague until then.

legoguydude
November 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hey, at least you're not getting it for Christmas, right?

The Curious Fan
November 27th, 2012, 04:33 AM
My bookstore isn't expecting to stock it for the next 2 weeks, dammit.

Or not, my conscience would give me grief for ages. I suppose I'll just wade through the spoilers, I can't abandon the JimButcherOnline community that easily.

TypeWannabe
November 27th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Turns out I also aren't getting it any time soon. So hurray, you don't have to avoid this thread after all, because none of the people who like the series that's also in BL will be getting it within the next few days!

giorno
November 27th, 2012, 05:58 PM
I...uh...actually managed to read a pretty good chunk of it through amazon, so I already know quite a bit of stuff... *evil grin*

ratstsrub
November 27th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Went to my local bookstore, picked up a copy.

Probably'll read it later.

gesalt
November 27th, 2012, 08:36 PM
glorious amazon kindle version

jwang
November 27th, 2012, 10:45 PM
Got the hardcover version (cuz that's how I roll), finished it, and holy cow. Jim really outdid himself this time. Future sexytimes for Harry will be very interesting. And kinky.

ratstsrub
November 28th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Enemy reeks of Codex. I think that's bad. No choice literature, but it was enjoyable enough.

giorno
November 28th, 2012, 07:16 AM
i hate you 'murricans who get nice stuff before everyone else

Tobias
November 28th, 2012, 10:17 AM
so if anyone ever wondered if Harry could beat 4th Caster

this sentance is only to try to be sure the whats new function doesn't inadvertently reveal the spoiler

he would do so after punching out santa clause, leading the wild hunt while freaking we will rock you plays on giant stereo

Elf
November 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Shit, Harry would probably give 5th Caster a run for her money.

jwang
November 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM
That's Bluebeard right? Are you saying Harry as himself or Harry as a Heroic Spirit?

Tobias
November 28th, 2012, 10:35 AM
she would implausibly come on to him and he would shoot her down while thinking about how totally awesome it would be just this once, as is his usual interaction with like, any woman south of neutral for the last 5 books or so

That's Bluebeard right? Are you saying Harry as himself or Harry as a Heroic Spirit?

yes.

jwang
November 28th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Harry as himself... he'd have a tough time, since this IS a heroic spirit. Depending on whether you're going by him right after making the deal with Mab, start of Cold Days, or after Cold Days, it would change his effectiveness. One on one, without the use of his Noble Phantasm, Harry would probably be able to beat Bluebeard silly. Once the Noble Phantasm comes out though, Harry would be in a bind unless he had prior preparation. Bluebeard summons the equivalent of Outsiders, which makes it tough for magic to affect. Harry would be forced to retreat in face of the overwhelming numbers until he can change things to where he can either cut off the summoning or summon aid. Depending on who he calls on, he can either force Bluebeard to retreat or outright take him out.

The Curious Fan
November 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Shit, Harry would probably give 5th Caster a run for her money.

What specific part makes you say that?

Tobias
November 28th, 2012, 05:49 PM
His penis?

The Curious Fan
November 28th, 2012, 06:09 PM
His penis?

Other than that.

And anyone else like the Demonreach reveal?

warellis
November 28th, 2012, 07:17 PM
she would implausibly come on to him and he would shoot her down while thinking about how totally awesome it would be just this once, as is his usual interaction with like, any woman south of neutral for the last 5 books or so

Are you talking about 5th War Caster? What do you mean by "implausibly come on to him"?

The Curious Fan
November 28th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Are you talking about 5th War Caster? What do you mean by "implausibly come on to him"?

Yes.

And I'm guessing Tobias was making a comment about the tendency for women in the series (particularly evil ones) to try and seduce Harry.

Hermitfold
November 29th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Just finished it. Goddamn, it was awesome. You know, I almost forgot why I liked Dresden Files so much, and now I remember. Truly excellent.

warellis
November 29th, 2012, 12:31 AM
Yes.

And I'm guessing Tobias was making a comment about the tendency for women in the series (particularly evil ones) to try and seduce Harry.
So what would Harry with 5th War Caster as a Servant be like?

Elf
November 29th, 2012, 02:22 AM
What specific part makes you say that?

Because it's Harry, that's why.

Mcjon01
November 29th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Because it's hairy, that's why.

I thought girls didn't like that.

The Curious Fan
November 29th, 2012, 04:19 AM
So what would Harry with 5th War Caster as a Servant be like?

Difficult to predict, he's too damn unpredictable in his development. My one try was made assuming he got nothing new other than the Noose (which he wants) and the Blackstaff.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought girls didn't like that.

If you want to talk about Harry's penis, consider the odds that he probably had icicles growing into it in that round on the Stone Table (which would explain part of the screaming) back in Changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it's Harry, that's why.

I don't think he's ever thrown around the kind of power Medea has (unless those fire blasts are truly ridiculously potent, which I suppose they probably are, they broke through an Outsider's MR after all) so that leaves a sucker punch as pretty much his only option vs Medea.

As a side note, what do you guys think the odds are he'll have a working solution to the mental problems developed or in development by the time book 15 begins?

Tobias
November 29th, 2012, 06:37 AM
my guess book 15 will be primarily about that, or it will be a significant problem for him during the events of.

on an unrelated note

karin making way for MOLLY.

wut

discuss. (in spoilers)

Hermitfold
November 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM

wut

discuss. (in spoilers)

I thought that a bit weird too, but I suppose she's being pragmatic about it.

The Curious Fan
November 29th, 2012, 07:46 AM
my guess book 15 will be primarily about that, or it will be a significant problem for him during the events of.

on an unrelated note

wut

discuss. (in spoilers)

And book 15 is Denarians so expect Lash, the Parasite (assuming that Lash and the parasite aren't the same thing), Lasciel and IIRC LTW as well.

Also, anyone else slightly disappointed we didn't get to see Maggie and Harry interacting?

At least he can tell Charity and Michael that he waited for marriage first....

Tobias
November 29th, 2012, 07:48 AM
you should avoid making your spoiler the first thing you put in, since people checking the whats new tab will be able to read it

The Curious Fan
November 29th, 2012, 07:55 AM
you should avoid making your spoiler the first thing you put in, since people checking the whats new tab will be able to read it

Rearranged it so that the spoiler is at the bottom.

eddyak
November 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Holy. Hell.

Best book yet. Possibly best book ever.

Harry beats up Santa. I laughed my arse off.

Also, Bob:

Is it just me who'd thought the reason Mab wanted to eat his face was because he did her when he was SuperKemmlerBob? Kinda disappointed it was just a general "I'll kill him because he knows something", rather than a more focused "I'm going to kill that child-support-shirking-bastard" thing.

The Curious Fan
November 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Holy. Hell.

Best book yet. Possibly best book ever.

Harry beats up Santa. I laughed my arse off.

Also, Bob:

Is it just me who'd thought the reason Mab wanted to eat his face was because he did her when he was SuperKemmlerBob? Kinda disappointed it was just a general "I'll kill him because he knows something", rather than a more focused "I'm going to kill that child-support-shirking-bastard" thing.

He isn't getting any presents this year, that's for sure.

eddyak
November 29th, 2012, 05:46 PM
And anyone else like the Demonreach reveal?
Loved it.

Also, HOLY SHIT I TOTALLY CALLED IT.

If you've read what I've done so far of Cold Fates, you should know what I'm talking about.

The Curious Fan
November 29th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Loved it.

Also, HOLY SHIT I TOTALLY CALLED IT.

If you've read what I've done so far of Cold Fates, you should know what I'm talking about.

Actually no, I just did a quick flip through of Cold Fates and I have no clue what part you called.

Also, What are the odds at least a few of the Denarian coins are there by the end of book 15?

eddyak
November 29th, 2012, 07:18 PM
See: Mab.

Also, see: Armies.

jwang
November 29th, 2012, 07:44 PM
The only major take-away from this book that I can see is that mantles (or masks) play a very important role.

Emy
November 29th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Ahahaha.

I find the discussion of 4th war Caster vs. Harry Dresden hilarious because

4th war Caster was also a Winter Knight. SO COOOOOOL

eddyak
November 29th, 2012, 08:48 PM
And now we know how he did the kid-skull-crushing and knight-ing despite being wimpy wannabe Caster.

jwang
November 30th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Oh snap! I forgot about that. Unfortunately, only in Dresdenverse is Bluebeard the Winter Knight. I think he was also a vanilla mortal too, so you'd have to take away his NP as well since that would have brought down the White Council on him faster than a house of cards in a hurricane. That would let Harry handily beat him, since all Bluebeard has going for him was Winter Knight power, and Harry has that PLUS his wizardry.