PDA

View Full Version : Another (Japanese Horror novel and anime)

terraablaze
January 9th, 2012, 10:18 PM
First episode is mysteriously mysterious. Hate the group that made the OP but they seemed to restrain themselves a bit, still kind of pulled me out of the experience. ED is meh.

The classmates so far are acting suspicious, though it seems to not be without reason (i.e. to be arbitrarily creepy)

mangafreak7793
January 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Horror = creepy classmates.

ItsaRandomUsername
January 9th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Hey, first episode is out. And once again terra beats me to it.

Screw you for that, BTW. /notsrs

terraablaze
January 9th, 2012, 11:03 PM
I'm surprised I beat anyone to it. It had been out for a few hours before I got around to watching it. I will let you make the Ano Natsu de Matteru thread.

ItsaRandomUsername
January 9th, 2012, 11:07 PM
I'm not really serious. You can make the thread if you want, I'm busy watching episode 1 of Another at the moment.

terraablaze
January 9th, 2012, 11:08 PM
I can read not actually tags thank you very much.

ItsaRandomUsername
January 9th, 2012, 11:21 PM
Posting as I go, so the likelihood of quadruple posting is high.

The OP song is underwhelming, but that's to be expected from Ali Project. Most of their songs don't seem to fit the tone for what they are selected for. The imagery is nice and unnerving, but the impact is lost with that mediocre song.

terraablaze
January 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Pretty much.

Also, I think all non-native Japanese speakers who notice the elevator lacks a 4th floor and understands why deserves an Internet cookie.

ItsaRandomUsername
January 9th, 2012, 11:35 PM
4 is the number commonly associated with death, bad luck and other ill omens predominantly in Japanese culture, akin to how people won't put a 13th floor in tall buildings.

Although Japan isn't the only culture to have this view on the number.

ItsaRandomUsername
January 10th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Seen it. Anticipating more.

I actually like the ED song. I has a docile, tranquil feel to it that I somehow thinks compliments Another's atmosphere.

Mcjon01
January 10th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Posting as I go, so the likelihood of quadruple posting is high.

The OP song is underwhelming, but that's to be expected from Ali Project. Most of their songs don't seem to fit the tone for what they are selected for. The imagery is nice and unnerving, but the impact is lost with that mediocre song.

Huh. I have no idea what this show is, but somehow I just knew that the OP was performed by Ali Project as soon as terra complained about it.

terraablaze
January 10th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Why are they so terrible yet still keep getting contacted to write songs for things?

terraablaze
January 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
So am I the only one who can't see new posts past a certain page? I tried logging out and erasing my cache but that didn't seem to help. It's like certain parts of the forum are stuck in the past.

Kotonoha
January 10th, 2012, 08:14 PM
So am I the only one who can't see new posts past a certain page? I tried logging out and erasing my cache but that didn't seem to help. It's like certain parts of the forum are stuck in the past.

Yeah, lots of people are having this problem, the server's being a bitch.

terraablaze
January 10th, 2012, 08:17 PM
I think literally everyone is having the same problem, but due to differences in settings some people are discovering it sooner then others.

Edit: you should switch to 50 posts per page too Koto and join us amongst the heavens.

Brynhilde
January 10th, 2012, 08:29 PM
This is out? Been following the manga so I know what's going on. An enthralling story, really. Can't wait to watch ep1 tonight xD

terraablaze
January 16th, 2012, 05:02 PM
I want to see what was under her eye patch! I'm not sure if cutting off the episode right there is really a thing for a horror series to do as much as it is a tease but I guess it ensures that people will stay interested. Honestly wouldn't surprise me if we don't actually get to find out next episode but if we do that's somewhat surprising. Also, a series based on a Japanese horror novel only mentioning American horror novelists.

Edit: anyone get flashbacks to Kara no Kyoukai when Kōichi entered the puppet shop?

Gabriulio
January 16th, 2012, 09:44 PM
Edit: anyone get flashbacks to Kara no Kyoukai when Kōichi entered the puppet shop?

[Sign: Ah, thank goodness I wans't the only one. So far, Another is the only Winter 2012 anime I'm following aside from Symphogear, and I have to say I'm liking it very much so far.]

RoadBuster
January 17th, 2012, 01:23 AM
The show would probably be a bit better if the protagonist was at all interesting...

ratstsrub
January 17th, 2012, 01:30 AM
So par the course for about 60% of all Japanese Anime?

MZeroX
January 17th, 2012, 01:32 AM
So par the course for about 60% of all Japanese Anime?make that 80% and i can agree.

RoadBuster
January 17th, 2012, 01:40 AM
Word.

terraablaze
January 17th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Hey, he likes horror novels! That's a character trait right? Aren't most horror protagonists pretty bland at first (or for the entirety of the story) regardless of medium?

terraablaze
January 23rd, 2012, 04:02 PM
Ah yeah! This isn't some pussy censored anime.
Was guessing it was a doll eye under there.

RoadBuster
January 24th, 2012, 03:03 AM
Everyone in this show has disturbingly long necks...

ItsaRandomUsername
January 24th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Moral of the story:

Don't run down stairs while holding pointy objects.

terraablaze
January 24th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I hope this series runs long enough to get a good body count going. Though I'm not sure if we have enough characters for a Shiki level massacre.
Death count: 1 (short of some emergency run to the hospital, but I'm prettys sure she's dead)

Also he should try and bang Misaki. She has an empty eye socket and is a ghost. He will be one of the few to experince the fabled ocular sex.

Sei
January 24th, 2012, 07:37 PM
3 episodes are out. Should I pick this anime up too?

terraablaze
January 24th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Sure, go for it. Does anyone know how long this is supposed to be?

ItsaRandomUsername
January 24th, 2012, 07:57 PM
Seems like 12.

terraablaze
January 24th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I was hoping for 24 since Shiki was 24 and that show was great.

terraablaze
January 30th, 2012, 03:44 PM
This is what happens when you adapt a novel that isn't fluffly psuedo harem nonsense. This show means serious business.

That said I really liked Mizuno and I am sad she died so soon.

Mattias
January 30th, 2012, 11:21 PM
This show is so creepy. It's awesome. And I'm calling this now: the bird at the house is some kinda clue to the goings on.

ItsaRandomUsername
January 31st, 2012, 03:14 AM
This is so enticing. And the plot continues to thicken.

Ruca_Milda
January 31st, 2012, 05:26 AM
I can't keep my cool while watching this because my sister keeps joking.

Whenever the old woman from the doll shop appears I burst into laughter, the brazilian subs also doesn't help in making it less hilarious >_>

Black Sword
January 31st, 2012, 11:42 AM
I love this series. So freakin' creepy. Atmosphere is great, tense, and the horror is visceral long before it gets in your face. More horror media needs to be like this.

Attempt at prediction: that bird keeps screeching about Rei. Aunt Reiko seems to be losing it a bit. I'm betting she's next...

Mattias
January 31st, 2012, 04:44 PM
Maybe the bird's "why Rei" were the mother's last words...

lilithsama
February 4th, 2012, 02:00 AM
that or its just f*cking annoying

caught up on 3 and 4
...so apparently this is final destination now
seriosuly, if you get killed by a f*cking umbrella you deserve to die

also stubbornly trying to stay within reality, so im going with the theory that Mei is niece/wtv of Mei from 26 years ago, and everyone pretends she doesn't exist because of her family's stigma , so yeah pretty much what MC said about her being bullied or wtv, because even if she was a ghost that only MC could see, other students in the class shouldnt be able to tell him to stay away/know what he's doing
like when he goes to the roof, or runs to catch up with her, they'd have to know shes there to tell him to knock it off
and even if they have some incling like "misaki's presence is always on the roof, so if he goes up there he must be dealing with her" thats not always the case, since they see MC go to hang out with her in alot of places

terraablaze
February 6th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Confirmations abound in this new episode. Can't get more affirmative then: some guy having a heart attack when he tries to explain the situation. Though I suppose we can't rule out Misaki being dead still at this point, she at least has a physical body. Though this now opens up room for other "culprits".

Next episode is Sakakibara and Misaki being love love with each other. So excited.

Aladar
February 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Anyone know about any other animes like this one and Shiki?

terraablaze
February 6th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Sadly no. Shiki is the only one similar to this one that I can think of.

Aladar
February 6th, 2012, 04:12 PM
NOOOOOOO!

And Shiki had such a sad end, too... the vamps had nearly suceeded when that House-expy blew it all!

terraablaze
February 6th, 2012, 05:06 PM
vamps

House-expy

I'm not sure you know what these words mean.

Aladar
February 6th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Isn't vamp short for vampire?

And I he does kinda look/act like House xD

eddyak
February 6th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Isn't vamp short for vampire?

And I he does kinda look/act like House xD
Except for the nest of decomposing squirrels on his head.

Aladar
February 6th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Shiki would've ended in 2 eps if they had turned that Ragebeard guy as soon as possible.

And back on topic, Mei apparently isn't a ghsot but someone in the class is a hyper-advanced zombie/flesh-ghost thing?

terraablaze
February 6th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Or she might not. We don't know now. You would think since she gets such prominence in the OP, ED, and such that she is the "extra student" but she could just be an important character. Being the scapegoat classmate is enough for her to be of that level of importance because that's what sets off the whole plot.
1) Sakakibara sees girl no one notices
2) investigates
3) starts monthly deaths
So the extra student could be someone else, like say the main character (kind of hope not it feels too obvious but without any other characters given especial prominence it might be the only possibilty).

Mattias
February 6th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Yeah, i could easily see him as the extra person, but the fact he transfers in late kinda makes me doubt it. My money's either on the Class rep/officer girl or the blonde friend. They seem to be the only ones with any character development so far.

eddyak
February 6th, 2012, 09:37 PM
It was Herobrine, just watch.

ItsaRandomUsername
February 7th, 2012, 03:46 AM
According to Mei, Class 3 already has an "extra student" sometime around May, which is when they first started shunning her to make the student count go to normal. But then Sakakibara transfers late into the class and disrupts the system by getting added to the roster. This isn't enough to fully tip the balance yet, though we can see the class is anxious about his presence, but when he doesn't abide by the "rules" and interacts with Mei, this counteracts the anti-curse method they have and as a result the cursed killings begin anew. In response to this, the class then shuns Sakakibara in the hopes that the curse will revert to prevent further deaths.

At this point I wouldn't say that Sakakibara is the proverbial "ghost in the machine", so to speak, even though his collapsed lung that he had could easily be a Chekov's Gun sort of plot device, although it is a possibility. It seems a little too obvious, but who knows? Mei could be the walking dead too, considering her generally ethereal nature and her connection to the old incident. Then again, Sakakibara also has connections to it as well, so again, who knows* at this point?

*Novel readers. :P

Aladar
February 7th, 2012, 07:09 AM
My money's on the class rep. And she'll have a major freakout once she learns her true identity.

Brynhilde
February 9th, 2012, 06:22 AM
As someone who had read the manga and just got to know the entire plot, I have to say that I find the ending to be... lame.

This is a great work with wonderful build-up of atmosphere and keeps us on our toes, but it is extremely unfilfilling when the mystery is revealed -_-

*not sure if she wants to follow this anymore*

Aladar
February 9th, 2012, 08:01 AM
And now I feel spoiled without reading any spoilers... hah. xD

eddyak
February 9th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Is it all solved with the POWAH OF LUUURVE?

terraablaze
February 13th, 2012, 03:36 PM
That dancing scene was amazing, and then it ended. I'm right with you there Sakakibara, I just want to hug Mei Misaki.

Oh and fecal matter just got corporeal, again.

Alulim
February 13th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Well, the possibility that Sakakibara may be the dead one is addressed. His father believed he lived in the town before...but seemed to change his mind.

terraablaze
February 13th, 2012, 10:09 PM
But then the class head says something about his hands not being cold. Not sure how definitive that is as proof agaisnt. Anyway the show tricked a lot of people into thinking Misaki was a ghost so maybe it has more subtlety then that. It certainly seems to be playing both sides.

Alulim
February 13th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Indeed. But the show has presented the possibility.

Whether that is meant as a red herring or not is yet to be seen.

terraablaze
February 13th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I sure hope he isn't the dead one, because that means if Misaki survives she forgets all about her time with him. Sadness. This show has managed to make me care about (some of) the characters while I wasn't looking.

Edit: wasn't Misaki using the fact that she interacts with her mom as proof that she isn't the dead person? Or does it only count if other people see you interact with your family?

eddyak
February 14th, 2012, 09:25 AM
That dancing scene was amazing, and then it ended. I'm right with you there Sakakibara, I just want to hug Mei Misaki.
This.

terraablaze
February 14th, 2012, 09:38 AM
What is with the main character's cell phone cutting out all the time? He should get a better service plan or something.

Ruu-tan
February 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
That's more like an indication that shit is going to hit the fan. I mean, the nurse's phone also conveniently got cut. I don't buy that it was bad service...

terraablaze
February 14th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I figured as much, but why is it happening. Also, it cut out when his dad was talking to him too. I think it cut out a few other times the nurse was talking to him as well and she only died the last time.

eddyak
February 14th, 2012, 10:55 AM
Plot.

The phones cut out only when plot-convenient.

terraablaze
February 14th, 2012, 10:57 AM
I hope we at least get some kind of explanation for it because it has happened enough for they're to be a fairly consistent pattern (it always happens as people try to divulge important info over the phone).

Ruu-tan
February 14th, 2012, 11:02 AM
...Ghosts/spirits/dead people trying to be dramatic?

terraablaze
February 14th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Possible, though it wouldn't fit very well with the current idea that there is no malice behind the phenomena.

Ruu-tan
February 14th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Eh, true. Still, isn't that what the librarian said? It could be untrue, unless I somehow missed the evidence from the sixth episode other than his words alone...

ItsaRandomUsername
February 14th, 2012, 12:46 PM

Oh and fecal matter just got corporeal, again.

So eloquently posted that I must simply write:
QFT

I thought this scene was hilarious because I initially was under the impression that it was actually happening in reality and that Mei and Sakakibara were abusing their "invisible" status for shits and giggles.

Ruu-tan
February 14th, 2012, 12:52 PM
The classmates and teacher's Ignoring skill must be EX rank. I would have died from laughing, that's for sure lol

ItsaRandomUsername
February 14th, 2012, 01:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SQl-OxBTUQ

And not a single fuck was given in Class 3-3 that day.

Alulim
February 14th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Trust me, it I was 'invisible' like them, I would milk it for all it has.

Rearranging desks...stealing objects right in front of their faces...throwing stuff...

Mattias
February 15th, 2012, 09:24 PM
If Saka's Mom died because of the sister's class curse, then isn't it possible that he died with her and he's the dead one?
I wonder if the teacher's gonna try to off himself or some students? Or is it just a red herring and today he's showing the class how to properly dice vegetables?

eddyak
February 15th, 2012, 09:49 PM
If Saka's Mom died because of the sister's class curse, then isn't it possible that he died with her and he's the dead one?
I wonder if the teacher's gonna try to off himself or some students? Or is it just a red herring and today he's showing the class how to properly dice vegetables?
It's a red herring, and he's going to dance with Misaki, throwing ingredients up in the air, slicing them apart as they fall, until the two of them have made a Salsa salad.

terraablaze
February 16th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Either way it's going to shake things up. Up until now all the deaths have been "accidents" so whether it's suicide or murder or murder-suicide, its going to draw attention to the class. Something they definitely don't want right now.

terraablaze
February 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Well that was interesting. Not quite what I expected but the plot seems to be moving in interesting directions. The opening scene looked like it was censored at first, but then I noticed it was very minor, almost the bare minimum they thought they could get away with it seems. I like how they thought that had to be modified a bit but the dream sequence was a okay as is. Lol values.

Mattias
February 23rd, 2012, 05:06 PM
Wow, gruesome death for the teacher. And methinks the drunk at the bar solved the curse by killing the dead one. I can see one of the kids going Friday the 13th on the rest of the class on the trip to shine....

Ruu-tan
February 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
The problem is how to figure who is the dead.

terraablaze
February 27th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Misaki gathering food is so cute. Not sure exactly what happened at the end there (how did he pass out?).

Leary
February 27th, 2012, 08:54 PM
After seven episodes of this show I have no idea of its good or bad. Whatever, the main character's muted reactions to all the weird things going on makes the show extremely easy and satisfying to riff on in realtime.

Alulim
February 28th, 2012, 02:45 AM
Holy...ouch.

I know how dangerous propellers can be, living on a lake teaches you those kinds of things.

Ruu-tan
February 28th, 2012, 08:27 AM
... Now I'm not so keen on swimming at beaches or lakes. Thank you very much, Another.

Mattias
February 28th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Wow that was the most tense car ride I've seen in anime for a while. Understandable, transport trucks freak me out too, especially on windy days.

terraablaze
February 28th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Apparently the author is going to write moar novels. A side story and after that maybe a sequel.

ItsaRandomUsername
February 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Wow that was the most tense car ride I've seen in anime for a while. Understandable, transport trucks freak me out too, especially on windy days.

Oh yeah, this so much. It doesn't help that I always get incredibly nervous whenever large trucks or buses ride up next to me in my dinky little sedan. I'm always wary of getting turned into a car pancake.

terraablaze
March 5th, 2012, 03:42 PM
We're having a sale today in Another. I like how all the deaths have been different so far.

Mattias
March 5th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Two new characters introduced, I wonder what's gonna happen to them...
Once this show finishes I want to see a reel of all the deaths back-to-back, possibly set to Queen's 'Another One Bites the Dust'.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 5th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Lighting strike. That is such an unfortunate coincidence.

Is what I would say if I didn't know everything was being cause by a curse.

Ruu-tan
March 6th, 2012, 08:26 AM
Anyone has a guess on how the guy stopped the calamity? Gut feeling and genre savvy senses told me it has something to do with the "extra"...

terraablaze
March 6th, 2012, 08:52 AM
He mentions "sin" as well. Probably killing the extra (though I guess in this case it isn't really killing). I like how the excavator is the one vehicle that could have killed the brother in that fashion. So precise this phenomenon is.

Ruu-tan
March 6th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Then the problem would be finding out said extra and decide who is willing to kill it?

Another = Japanese Final Destination?

terraablaze
March 6th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I don't know because I haven't watched any of those extensively, because they were dumb.
Anyway all the deaths seem to be mysteriously connected to our Sakakibara, they all are effected after having recently interacted with him, but they only seem to die if they are a certain distance from him. If they are too close they get saved by him or by chance. Or so it would seem.

Leary
March 6th, 2012, 11:45 AM
The guy from the previous class likely called in Brainwash Detective Hisui to get to the bottom of things. Unfortunately all the survivors suffer from mild-to-severe brain damage as a result.

Hm, perhaps the current calamity is an entirely new curse caused by her intervention...

Gabriulio
March 6th, 2012, 04:16 PM

[Sign: After week, I finally catch up with the episodes. It's been a wild ride until now, and I can't wait for the next episode!

And I'm with the theory that killing the extra makes the curse stop. Somehow, whoever the extra was became obvious after they prayed at the shrine, and the previous-3-guy killed him/her.]

terraablaze
March 12th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Another hard hitting episode. puns
Okay, absolutely everyone called "it" though I like how it was completely accidental. Looks like we might wrap things up by the end of the school trip (this is only going to be 12ish episodes right?).
Also what was with that dream? The head of countermeasures looking more and more like the extra. Especially with the main two leads being completely ruled out.

Gabriulio
March 12th, 2012, 06:40 PM

[Sign: I don't want Akazawa to be the extra... She is my third favorite character after Kouichi and Misaki...]

Dantalion
March 13th, 2012, 06:12 AM
If the dream is a memory then Akazawa can't be the extra, unless there's another person that looks like Sakakibara with the same name running around.
The dream seems to relate to Akazawa's earlier confusion as to whether or not Sakakibara lived in the town a few years back. Also, the twin discussion is likely a clue. (Unless it's a red herring, but then there's no time for those now the series is ending.) Who died?

terraablaze
March 19th, 2012, 05:19 PM
This episode Another basically went: "It's the ending! FUCK EVERYTHING!!!" and I enjoyed every bit of it. So the head of countermeasures isn't the extra it seems. I hope that at least some of the characters I care about live to the end. Next episode, the conclusion.

Gabriulio
March 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM

[Sign: Oh boy, that episode was awesome. As in, awesome awesomeness.

MY BODY CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE! I WANT THIS WEEK TO PASS RIGHT AWAY!]

Mattias
March 19th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Wow! Epic episode. So looks like Misaki is gonna take the law into her own hands. The dead has to be one of the main characters or else it will feel like an ass-pull if its someone who hasn't had any lines in the show. Who does that leave then?

Sei
March 19th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Epic episode was epic.

I was expecting something to happen, but they really delivered this week.

Next episode can't come soon enough. ^-^

ItsaRandomUsername
March 19th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Welp, those were the fastest 24 minutes of my life. Things really went up shit creek, didn't they?

Also NEXT WEEK WHEN

Alulim
March 19th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Also NEXT WEEK WHEN

IN SEVEN DAYS~

ItsaRandomUsername
March 19th, 2012, 10:05 PM
IN SEVEN DAYS~

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/mother-of-God-Meme-Rage-Face.jpg

Alulim
March 19th, 2012, 10:33 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/mother-of-God-Meme-Rage-Face.jpg

As he proclaimed…this world, created in seven days, shall be destroyed by the sounding of seven trumpets.

Dantalion
March 20th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Body count racking up... Main characters left:
Teshigawara
Mochizuki
Misaki
Akazawa
Sakakibara
Library teacher

Misaki death-flag raised... Wasn't expecting Reiko to die.

Ruu-tan
March 20th, 2012, 08:10 AM
The body counts rocketed in one episode. Excellent.
Hm, library teacher is currently away from the inn...

solopy567
March 20th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Wow. People just died left and right.

How crazy. Everybody turned maniac mode.

terraablaze
March 20th, 2012, 10:18 AM
This is the Another we've all been watching only whoever was playing this survival horror game switched to Very Hard mode.

terraablaze
March 26th, 2012, 02:07 PM
False alarm on that "love conquers all" ending, eddyak.

Mattias
March 26th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Well, that was an epic show. I wonder what the final body count was? It seemed like only six or seven made it out... Which is an incredibly high mortality rate for ninth grade.

Poor Reiko, survive a mop to die by your nephew. At least I was right about the parrot being a clue...

I'm definitely recommending this anime to my friends.

Keyne
March 26th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Ever since I began following this series I knew that I'd like Sakakibara and Mei, and then came the Art-guy and Sports-guy. That was also when I started hating Twintails with a passion. The person I feel sorry the most for is the Nurse, followed by that Misaka Mikoto lookalike (a pity she went crazy).

The show is pretty entertaining, with a touch of darkness and mystery.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 26th, 2012, 04:10 PM
OH SHIT

OH SHIIIT

OH SHIIIIIIT

SHIT

SHIT

...shit.

Well this is shit.

[/jk]

Well, that was an epic show. I wonder what the final body count was? It seemed like only six or seven made it out... Which is an incredibly high mortality rate for ninth grade.

Poor Reiko, survive a mop to die by your nephew. At least I was right about the parrot being a clue...

I'm definitely recommending this anime to my friends.

If I remember correctly I think the Librarian said there was like 8-9 who died before the trip and around 10 or so died during the trip.

All in all the bodies really hit the floor.

Ever since I began following this series I knew that I'd like Sakakibara and Mei, and then came the Art-guy and Sports-guy. That was also when I started hating Twintails with a passion. The person I feel sorry the most for is the Nurse, followed by that Misaka Mikoto lookalike (a pity she went crazy).

The show is pretty entertaining, with a touch of darkness and mystery.

Sakakibara's bros were bros, Also, Misaki = good female lead.

Still, the best scene in this show will have to be the one where they dance. Although I loved how explosive the conclusion was with all the previous buildup that there was to it. Made for a tense and fast-paced ending.

Keyne
March 26th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Still, the best scene in this show will have to be the one where they dance.
That would have been so fucking great if it hadn't been just a daydream. ;_;

ItsaRandomUsername
March 26th, 2012, 04:18 PM
I'd have laughed my ass off even more if it was actually real.

Seriously. They'd have trolled the class so hard if that were the case.

Keyne
March 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I'd have laughed my ass off even more if it was actually real.

Seriously. They'd have trolled the class so hard if that were the case.
You know what would've been even better? Them dropping their pants/panties and having a go at it on the teacher's desk.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 26th, 2012, 04:24 PM
I smell h-doujin plot.

Bonus points if the rest of the class is still desperately trying to stay focused on the test.

Keyne
March 26th, 2012, 04:26 PM
I smell h-doujin plot.

Bonus points if the rest of the class is still desperately trying to stay focused on the test.
More bonus points for twintails trying to keep her cool.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 26th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Actually...

http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1457546
http://gelbooru.com/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1446746

(lol short arms in the first one)

terraablaze
March 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
It was only a matter of time.

Keyne
March 26th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Heh, those pics are oldies.. but goodies~~

Gabriulio
March 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM

[Sign: Loved the episode... except for Akazawa's death ;_;]

Mattias
March 26th, 2012, 08:18 PM
If I remember correctly I think the Librarian said there was like 8-9 who died before the trip and around 10 or so died during the trip.

All in all the bodies really hit the floor.

Wow, a class went from 25 odd students too 7 in the span from April to August... that's only five months.

On another note, the manga finished up as well this week, including an epilogue with some different details, such as twin-tails fate and the police investigation of the fire....

Satehi
March 27th, 2012, 12:04 AM
Marathoning the last three episodes late at night was great.

Awesome show, was really exciting those last two episodes. Some of the deaths felt incredibly contrived, but I guess that's a curse for you.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 27th, 2012, 12:09 AM
>group of students tries to escape
>chandelier lands on them as they go down the stairs
>a student survives the fall and runs to the exit
>gets crushed by a randomly falling pillar

I feel bad for laughing at this part. But I really did.

Keyne
March 27th, 2012, 02:16 AM
>group of students tries to escape
>chandelier lands on them as they go down the stairs
>a student survives the fall and runs to the exit
>gets crushed by a randomly falling pillar

I feel bad for laughing at this part. But I really did.
SHAME ON HIM! HE DIDN'T SAVE THE PIE! >:U
/a/ jokes~~ so funneh~~

Ruu-tan
March 27th, 2012, 03:40 AM
Well, that was fun!

... I already want my sequel.

Dantalion
March 27th, 2012, 08:24 AM
10 victims during the trip in August, you'll have to count the others yourself. No one gives a summary. I liked this show a lot... The tension in that final fire scene was great. Am I the only one who expected Misaki to somehow be the last victim? Seriously, I thought that the ending credits in the earlier episodes were giving a hint and kept expecting Sakakibara to go batshit or something. The real end was good, brought a nice sense of closure. OVA soon, yeah!

Keyne
March 27th, 2012, 09:24 AM
No, I saw people on /a/, who wished for Misaki's death out of spite, and those, who really thought she'd die as one of the last victims amidst all the shitstorm around "why Reiko is the dead one".

Dantalion
March 27th, 2012, 09:56 AM
I spoilered myself by looking at Wikipedia halfway through the show ;_; I knew Reiko was likely to be the dead one, but I didn't know Misaki's fate... A few more hints and red herrings would have been fun though.

Black Sword
March 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM
I had guessed that Akazawa, Sakakibara, or Misaki would be the dead one. When Misaki removed the latter two as suspects, I was convinced it had to be Akazawa. The plot twist with Reiko being the dead one totally surprised me. Honestly, this series was great!

I was very sad when Akazawa died though. Body count was pretty astonishing as well.

Alulim
March 27th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Finally watched the end. I liked it a lot.

Am I a moron for not connecting Reiko and Ms. Mikami? I knew they looked similar...but I chalked that up to the art.

Mattias
March 27th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Finally watched the end. I liked it a lot.

Am I a moron for not connecting Reiko and Ms. Mikami? I knew they looked similar...but I chalked that up to the art.

Nope, I didn't notice it either. Probably because during the class she seemed so listless and drab, but at home she acquired a personality....

Gabriulio
March 27th, 2012, 03:14 PM

[Sign: Add to that the fact she looks very different with her hair down and had almost no speaking lines during the entire series. And despite being Kouichi's aunt she never talked to him during the series. I guess the whole "Call me Reiko-san at home and Mikami-sensei at school" scene before presenting the clues that lead to the fact she is the dead person was made because they noticed a lot of people didn't think they were the same person.

PS: Am I the only one who thinks the guy who killed her looks a LOT like Kouichi?]

Alulim
March 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
PS: Am I the only one who thinks the guy who killed her looks a LOT like Kouichi?]

I thought that too,

Mattias
March 27th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Season 2 idea. Kouichi is actually a serial killer who initiates all the "accidents" and uses the curse as a cover....
(Maybe he took over for his father/mother explaining the happenings before he was born.)

Fangstrike
March 28th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I thought that too,

Same. There was also the subtle mention of time. Kouichi returned to the town about 1 1/2 years ago, met Akazawa then, and his aunt died around that time. Coincidence? I wonder if he's a secret psychopath on par with Dexter or if his brush with death/collapsed lung somehow warped his personality? Then I got the crazy idea of an OVA where Misaki recounts the events from her POV, and she decides to remain silent about it because she's obviously in love with Kouichi. Secondary, the OVA would expand on Misaki's family situation. Alas, I don't have much hope it'll happen.

Shame Akazawa died. I really liked her. Too bad Kouichi like many other male protagonists doesn't have a clue about women.

Alulim
March 28th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Shame Akazawa died. I really liked her. Too bad Kouichi like many other male protagonists doesn't have a clue about women.

He is Misaki-sexual.

Keyne
March 29th, 2012, 02:41 AM
PS: Am I the only one who thinks the guy who killed her looks a LOT like Kouichi?
I did not. Kouichi has different hair color, combes his hair to the other side, had completely no reason to kill his aunt and wasn't there to begin with. He was in Tokyo.

*tries to contain his laughter*

Fangstrike
March 29th, 2012, 06:25 AM
I did not. Kouichi has different hair color, combes his hair to the other side, had completely no reason to kill his aunt and wasn't there to begin with. He was in Tokyo.

Yeah, it's true he had no motive or one that we know of, but he was in Yomiyama around the time of her death - in the final episode, this is specifically mentioned by Misaki (right before Kouichi takes care of Reiko) followed by flashbacks, which included Akazawa's testimony. We could explain his hair being uncombed from being dishevelled after chasing Reiko, and the color being altered to reflect the dim lighting, but in the end, this is just a suspicion by us fans, most likely a misinterpretation, albeit an interesting one. Most likely they were meant to be clues enlightening Reiko's "Another" status and not fingering Kouichi as the killer. And I don't know how much faith we can put in a face we never got a clear image of either way. Maybe they were just feeling uncreative and used Kouichi's design as a base inspiration for the serial killer scene and there's no deeper meaning. Wouldn't be the first time.

*tries to contain his laughter*

Well, I meant the one's in anime in general, though Alulim is probably right.

Keyne
March 29th, 2012, 06:57 AM
and the color being altered to reflect the dim lighting
Ah, but then his hair would be even darker.

Well, I meant the one's in anime in general, though Alulim is probably right.
Kouichi took interest in Mei from the very beginning and she was with him until the very end, protecting and supporting him, up to the point of not letting him know who the Dead one was (it would only hurt him, and they wouldn't know with that info until the finding of the tape). Mechazawa only met him once, and maybe started crushing on him then, but she failed to mention a few crucial things and then threw all the blame on Mei and Kouichi, up to the point where she hid her rage, hate and jealousy under the veil of righteousness.

Black Sword
March 29th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Kouichi took interest in Mei from the very beginning and she was with him until the very end, protecting and supporting him, up to the point of not letting him know who the Dead one was (it would only hurt him, and they wouldn't know with that info until the finding of the tape). Mechazawa only met him once, and maybe started crushing on him then, but she failed to mention a few crucial things and then threw all the blame on Mei and Kouichi, up to the point where she hid her rage, hate and jealousy under the veil of righteousness.

Basically, your average teenage girl.

Fangstrike
March 29th, 2012, 02:52 PM

A nice analysis, Keyne, though obviously the anime's geared/centered towards Mei. I still think it was a shame for Akazawa to die because I think she had the potential to keep her head if she hadn't seen her friend hanging there, but the writers were probably aiming for a complete breakdown.

Gabriulio
March 29th, 2012, 03:15 PM
A nice analysis, Keyne, though obviously the anime's geared/centered towards Mei. I still think it was a shame for Akazawa to die because I think she had the potential to keep her head if she hadn't seen her friend hanging there, but the writers were probably aiming for a complete breakdown.

[Sign: If it makes you feel better...]

Akawaza lives in the manga.

terraablaze
March 29th, 2012, 04:47 PM
As someone who had read the manga and just got to know the entire plot, I have to say that I find the ending to be... lame.

This is a great work with wonderful build-up of atmosphere and keeps us on our toes, but it is extremely unfilfilling when the mystery is revealed -_-

*not sure if she wants to follow this anymore*

I was kind of wondering whether Bryn was quick to trust the manga adaptation. Sounds like things went down differently.

Ivan The Mouse
March 30th, 2012, 05:35 AM
I just finished watching this with my little sister. If I would describe it in one phrase, it would be "Final Destination as written by Ryukishi07".

R.Lock
March 30th, 2012, 06:11 AM
By the way.
Light Novel: Akazawa is stabbed in the back. No particular role in plot. Dead.
Anime: Akazawa is impaled by glass rain. Important role in plot. Had a cool head until the end. Dead.
Manga: Psychotic killer. Alive.

Keyne
March 30th, 2012, 06:13 AM
By the way.
Anime: Akazawa is impaled by glass rain. Important role in plot. Had a cool head until the end. Dead.
But only Kouichi and Mei know about that iirc.

R.Lock
March 30th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I'm only talking about result. Psycho Akazawa was the luckiest. And it saddens me.

terraablaze
March 30th, 2012, 07:36 AM
By the way.

Why are all three so different? This is so confusing.

Black Sword
March 30th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Why are all three so different? This is so confusing.

Why not? It's pretty standard for different adaptations to be different. Why, it's almost like peering into parallel worlds.

Mattias
March 30th, 2012, 02:42 PM
I just read the epilogue of the manga.... how psycho IS psycho? Like most of the class in the climax levels? More? Less?

Chaos Greyblood
March 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM
This could be a nice actress for Mei if they go on with the upcoming movie:

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2012/03/31/another-movies-mei-even-cuter-than-the-anime/

Fangstrike
March 31st, 2012, 02:11 PM

Thanks GabrieliosP. I didn't know they finished scanlating the manga.

Sei
March 31st, 2012, 08:34 PM
Finally finished up the anime.

And well...after seeing how crazy episode 11 was, I feel let down. :/

Leary
April 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM
Last two eps were kind of weak, but overall this anime had great atmosphere. It isn't horror in the scary sense, but they managed to make it pretty darn suspenseful.

That said, the dramatic cliff-hangers got a little absurd toward the end. Just who among us would be content to hear the rest of that tape "tomorrow or something?" You know, after more people have had a chance to get killed. It was also hard not to want to throttle Misaki a bit. For the sake of the story's body count it was fine, but imagine how many could have been saved if she wasn't epicly trolling the class by keeping her mouth shut. Its not like enough of them wouldn't have believed her after she explained herself. Ep 11 proves that if nothing else.

Then again, knowing better than the characters is half the fun of anything in the horror genre.

Keyne
April 5th, 2012, 06:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/MO1t3.jpg

Mattias
May 31st, 2012, 12:57 AM
Episode 0 out. Gives nice backstory to Mei and her twin. Heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time. The Ferris Wheel scene was tense and funny.