PDA

View Full Version : TES Oblivion - a request for help

Neir
January 19th, 2012, 12:43 PM
So I'm borrowing oblivion goty (+expansion) and I want to know what mods to get.

I figure that with all the people freaking out over skyrim, some of you have probably played oblivion. So... Mod recommendations? All I have so far is a quest reward leveler.

Nothing along the lines of 'this adds a super sword that does 10000000 damage lolol' pls.

Also, general recommendations for gameplay that don't abuse the system. It's no fun if it's cheap.

Kotonoha
January 19th, 2012, 12:45 PM
I'd be interested too, I bought it when it was on sale.

(Love how with all the DLC, immediately after the emperor dies, it's like "you inherited two houses! Buy horse armor!")

Neir
January 19th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Huh. I just have Shivering Isles.

Mcjon01
January 19th, 2012, 01:07 PM
I like Realistic Leveling. Kind of makes it like Skyrim, in that you no longer have to do insane stuff like making all your major skills stuff you'd never use and purposefully playing in a way opposite of the way you really want to play so that you can play the way you want to play later on without being screwed by impossible enemies. All you have to do is raise your skills and get stronger.

Also, something to fix the level scaling, like Francesco's overhaul.

Five_X
January 19th, 2012, 01:08 PM
http://tesnexus.com/

This is a pretty good place to start. I haven't played Oblivion in a while, but I used to play it with mods on, and it was definitely fun. Mainly check the top 100 mods, but as for specifics... I recommend Open Cities, as well as this one that expands cities, and another that changes the landscapes and makes them really pretty. Unfortunately I forget their names, though. :|

Mcjon01
January 19th, 2012, 01:10 PM
And don't forget to install all the unofficial patches for the content you have. Be sure to invest in the Oblivion Mod Manager and BOSS, it makes installing and managing this stuff relatively easy. OMODS are nice. Wrye Bash is really nice, but it's complex enough that I don't like to use it.

Neir
January 19th, 2012, 01:12 PM
BOSS?

Mcjon01
January 19th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Better Oblivion Sorting Software. It's a utility that makes sure your mods load in the right order.

Five_X
January 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Better
Oblivion
Sorting
System

It's basically a godsend for people with lots of mods on.

Neir
January 19th, 2012, 01:13 PM
tesnexus doesn't wooooooooooooooooork D:

I've been using planetelderscrolls

Mcjon01
January 19th, 2012, 01:31 PM
You poor thing.

In-N-Out Double-Double & Animal Fries
January 19th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Beatiful people mod: makes all teh characters look about as good as fallout characters (so not much improvement btu at least tolerable)

Corean race Mod because they look better (though still a bit derpy)

City life mod adds more random NPCs for you to kill so that city life is more city-like

Natural weather and shit

flora and fauna mod

that UI overhaul made by that one Dark guy

and probably one of teh combat mods

Cruor
January 19th, 2012, 06:28 PM
As McJon said. Install realistic leveling. You don't know how many horror stories I've heard of people who did not understabnd the leveling system so they put Acrobatics and Athletics as Major Skills and trained them both to insanely high levels he first chance they got only to realize that leveling that up levels the enemies. So they couldn't face any enemy in a fight. But they could jump real high.

Neir
January 19th, 2012, 06:33 PM
WHY ARE THERE SO MANY MODS FOR TITS.

Oh wait.

Malgos
January 19th, 2012, 06:37 PM
As McJon said. Install realistic leveling. You don't know how many horror stories I've heard of people who did not understabnd the leveling system so they put Acrobatics and Athletics as Major Skills and trained them both to insanely high levels he first chance they got only to realize that leveling that up levels the enemies. So they couldn't face any enemy in a fight. But they could jump real high.

I bought Oblivion on Steam when it was on sale and did exactly that. You know the worst thing I had more fun running and jumping against walls then playing the game without mods. Oh and I did that for 3 hours and then 3 hours of not so fun gameplay. Also for some reason I started feeling sick when playing, never really had a problem with graphics before, so that was rather weird. Although it could've been just a bad day for me. And that all wouldn't be too bad really, if leveling up wasn't as dumb as possible. Best way to play the game is stay level 1 and you have to sleep to level up. Those 3 hours on Master were so much fun for me... Haven't touched the game since then.

There's some Fate/Stay Night mods, although I don't know if they're any good, since I've been busy hating the game.