PDA

View Full Version : FileSonic disables file sharing

Fireburst7
January 23rd, 2012, 01:33 AM
Sigh... Well I was expecting this

http://torrentfreak.com/filesonic-kills-file-sharing-after-megaupload-arrests-120122/

Five_X
January 23rd, 2012, 03:13 AM
Hey! That's against my Swedish friend's religion!

Ivan The Mouse
January 23rd, 2012, 03:27 AM
Damn.

Five_X
January 23rd, 2012, 03:30 AM
Unlike MegaUpload, I actually used Filesonic quite often!

Ivan The Mouse
January 23rd, 2012, 03:32 AM
DAMN, MAN.

Spinach
January 23rd, 2012, 03:39 AM
Meh, filesonic kind of sucked.

Ruca_Milda
January 23rd, 2012, 03:41 AM
Filesonic was horrible, buuurn.

On the other side EVEN IF IT WAS HORRIBLE A BUNCH OF STUFF I LIKED USED IT ;_;

Sherrinford
January 23rd, 2012, 08:38 AM
NOOOO!!! NOOOO!!! I DON'T WANT TO GO BACK TO EMULE NOOOOOOOOoooooooooo- !!!!...

DreamsRequiem
January 23rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
Shit, son. Soon enough, Mediafire might.....

Spinach
January 23rd, 2012, 09:20 AM

Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it. Don't jinx it.

Sherrinford
January 23rd, 2012, 09:48 AM
FILESERVE IS GONE TOO.

Erlkonig
January 23rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
Capitaliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiism, stop making people back out of risky businessssssss

Kotonoha
January 23rd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Welp, time to back up my mediafire files.

SeiKeo
January 23rd, 2012, 10:44 AM
Capitaliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiism, stop making people back out of risky businessssssss

que

Erlkonig
January 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM
que

I dunno, don't all investors back out of a place when things are getting unreliable?

SeiKeo
January 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Well, 1, not necessarily, and 2, this is the government screwing it up.

Erlkonig
January 23rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
I don't think fileserve and filesonic were shut down by the govs as much as they were shut down by their creators.

Kotonoha
January 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah, probably more "aw shit, I don't want to be next, I'm getting out of here!"

SeiKeo
January 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM
I don't think fileserve and filesonic were shut down by the govs as much as they were shut down by their creators.

Ah, I see how you mean.

Crown
January 23rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
They fear to share the sime fate as MU. That's it.

Ivan The Mouse
January 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM

I WILL SENTENCE YOU TO DAMNATIO MEMORIAE IF YOU ARE TOO MUCH OF A PROPHET WITH YOUR WORDS.

Black Sword
January 23rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
To the best of my knowledge:

MegaUpload
Closed.

FileServe
Deleting multiple files. Closed affiliate program.

FileJungle
(Owned by FileServe) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.

UploadStation
(Owned by FileServe) Deleting multiple files. Testing out blocking some USA IP addresses.

FileSonic
Sharing disabled. Closed affiliate program. Deleting files and accounts.

VideoBB
Closed affiliate program.

Uploaded.to
Banned USA IP addresses.

FilePost
Started suspending accounts with infringing material (doing what Hotfile did)

VideoZer
Closed affiliate program.

4shared
Deleting multiple files.

Wupload
Many accounts disabled.

East European & former Soviet Union countries based file sharing services are working as usual

Erlkonig
January 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Whoa, they're killing USA filesharing

Lukahn
January 23rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
Whoa, they're killing USA filesharing
They're killing file sharing in global. The majority of it is based in the US, and the other part is slooow.

Mike1984
January 23rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Nah, they're temporarily killing it globally. Long-term, it'll just relocate to somewhere where the courts will tell the US government to fuck off if they turn up with an extradition demand....

SeiKeo
January 23rd, 2012, 11:56 AM
Who, like Iran? Or China? There's only a few countries that will deny that if we really put pressure on it.

Black Sword
January 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
It took over twenty years for extradition of Colombian drug lords to the United States to become somewhat dependable, and that was with plenty of US pressure and money being poured into a single country. I think it's safe to believe that it will take as long a time for comparatively innocuous file sharing to become a grievous sin in countries that can't afford overpriced MPAA and RIAA garbage. Er, I mean, content.

Crown
January 23rd, 2012, 12:07 PM
I thought ShareX wouldn't join.

Five_X
January 23rd, 2012, 12:08 PM
Well, at the very least this probably won't affect image-sharing and host websites and stuff.

Crown
January 23rd, 2012, 12:10 PM
Well, at the very least this probably won't affect image-sharing and host websites and stuff.
Just wait.

Mike1984
January 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Who, like Iran? Or China? There's only a few countries that will deny that if we really put pressure on it.

Well, most of Europe would refuse, I suspect, although they may well prosecute the companies theirselves....

giorno
January 23rd, 2012, 02:01 PM
China already cooperated with the FBI to shut down MU, and pretty much all western european countries have extradition agreements with the USA...

Lianru
January 23rd, 2012, 02:07 PM
All of my hate.

Ivan The Mouse
January 23rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
All of my hate.

All of my paranoia.

Mike1984
January 23rd, 2012, 02:21 PM
China already cooperated with the FBI to shut down MU, and pretty much all western european countries have extradition agreements with the USA...

Yeah, but extradition agreements almost always require that the crime they're being accused of also be a crime in the country being asked to extradite them. That may well not be the case here.

Techlet
January 23rd, 2012, 08:50 PM

Don't you fucking dare say it.

Lianru
January 23rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
^

Twelveseal
January 23rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
What I'm worried about is if they start trying to sue all the people that used Megaupload for infringement. That's something completely and utterly insane, but with the way the Gov's been acting lately, I no longer have the confidence to say they wouldn't do something so stupid.

DreamsRequiem
January 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
I don't need to say it, but you know there's a high chance of it happening, just look at all the other filesharing sites.....

Laith
January 23rd, 2012, 09:41 PM
Wait, wait, wait FileSonic did what? God loving damn it, now I'll have to convert my UMDs into ISOs instead of just downloading them.

Twelveseal
January 23rd, 2012, 09:49 PM
DR has a point, though. Mediafire is the next biggest Fileshare after MU. Reason would dictate that it'd be pretty damn high on their lists of sites to massacre. At this point, it's likely to turn into a witch hunt, where one slip up by the higher ups could bring the site down.

Ligerleon89
January 23rd, 2012, 09:50 PM
^ True.

Twelveseal
January 23rd, 2012, 09:58 PM
I wonder if there's any way that we, the fine people of the internet (okay, so maybe we're not all that fine, but we are people), can fight fire with fire? I wonder if there are actions that we could organize and take to change the laws in favor of our own interests?

After all, weren't they saying that about 25% of the population of the planet had used MU at some point? And just how many people beyond that have watched an illegal video, read a book, or looked at copyrighted pics online? Hell, most of those people belong to the younger generations, and quite a few of them are going to be in the military and law enforcement. Nevermind that most people know at least 3 others...

I'm pretty damn sure that we have enough political clout to actually do something, perhaps even military force, if pressed to organize, so... Why not just try to amend the copyright laws legally through majority vote/appeal/whatever? It seems like it would take a while, but it would set a precedent for the desires of the people over the desires of corporations.

Hell, that whole Occupy movement's already gotten people fired up against big business and the 2%, so why not try to motivate that 98% against these things?

Ligerleon89
January 23rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
PIPA and SOPA were out 6 months ago, ACTA a bit longer than that. It wasn't getting to the people fast enough it took that long for everyone to stand up on these bills. Well they were doing this behind out backs so it was punkish from the g'ovt to do that and the was news spreading was very sluggish. Now that people are being aware by a second, who knows if we have enough guys and girls to keep the pressure going and then some.

Sadly, Couple of Corprate and politicals idiots are trying to control something that should not even be in their grasp for a stupid a** reason.

Cases like this, I agree to this quote:

Derek ForScience Scott Their ego's give importance to control and power.

They see the power that social networking has -- having the ability to eventually render every government on this planet completely irrelevant -- and their egos fear it.

Their Greed deludes them into thinking that they are able to control something that they cannot, thus they try.

Mike1984
January 23rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Erm, such attempts already exist, the Pirate Party (http://www.pirateparty.org.uk/) for instance.

The problem, though, is that First Past the Post entrenches the two-party system and both parties are in the pocket of big corporations. So, whichever party you vote for you'll get much the same. Further, said big corporations are very good at scaring people into voting for one of the two big parties, and also at conning your average person into believing that they should give a shit about copyright infringement.

Twelveseal
January 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
Hmmm. Then one would need to use their own methods, yes? Propoganda should work well, particularly through the internet. Especially since it's not exactly altering the facts in this case. We can hardly strongarm people, but let's face it, no one really seems satisfied with any of the extant political parties anymore.

Sorry, but I rather like the way the net is now, and would rather not see this kind of thing continue. Even if I lack the power to act, I'd at least like to say I tried to come up with a solution.

Mike1984
January 23rd, 2012, 10:23 PM
Well, yeah, I agree entirely with you in that respect, but the problem with targetting the internet for campaigns is that there are a large chunk of people who don't use it, or at least don't use it enough to notice the issues we're finding. Whilst the majority of young people certainly do, there are a lot of older people who don't know the first thing about it, and by the time they've disappeared and left the world to people who actually know what they're talking about, it'll likely be too late.

The system is weighted against us, which isn't surprising because the system is designed by those in power, and they have a vested interest in remaining in power. The whole thing needs to be reformed from the bottom up, but that's not going to happen because no system will ever relinquish power voluntarily, not to any significant extent.

Twelveseal
January 23rd, 2012, 10:28 PM
True, even if the change requested is ultimately beneficial in the long run. Humans naturally resist change, be it on a personal level or otherwise. Still, that rather makes it seem like an excuse not to try, and to merely accept the legal actions placed against us as inevitable.

Tis not something that sits well with me.

Mike1984
January 23rd, 2012, 10:41 PM
I'm not saying that, I'm just saying that trying to change the system democratically isn't going to work....

We certainly need to fight, but I don't think that attempting to work (solely) within the system is a viable option at this stage.