PDA

View Full Version : Tsukihime - Kohaku's Route

DragoZERO
March 19th, 2011, 12:19 PM
This is the discussion thread for the Kohaku's route of Tsukihime, meant for those who have only finished Kohaku's route or wish to only discuss it. Please put plot points that occur outside of Kohaku's route in spoiler tags.

http://i.imgur.com/lH6gv.jpg

Kohaku's route is the fifth and final route in Tsukihime and is focused around one of Shiki's maids, Kohaku. It is also the third and final part of the Far Side of the Moon.

Kuradora
September 17th, 2012, 01:43 PM
NECRO!!
I thought the ending was incredibly heartwarming.

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Now that we removed the series stickies can we also get rid of these threads :V

Bittersweet
September 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
I3uster fiesty.

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Hey, I just don't want to confide Kohaku to a single topic because she is a fucking important character.

Bittersweet
September 17th, 2012, 02:00 PM
*sticks tongue out*

Milbunk
September 17th, 2012, 02:01 PM
How many people even remember her ending? (It was one of my favorites out of all the Type-Moon VN's.)

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Since it's the most memorable and last one I'd say "everyone who played Tsukihime".

Kotollama
September 17th, 2012, 02:03 PM
i couldn't see her route because when i known i needed to see through Arc and Ciel routes first, i droped the towel.

Milbunk
September 17th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Well it certainly ain't brought up enough to actually see that, I mean occasionally we see Arc or Ciel and maybe even an Akiha ending brought up but Kohaku's is as sparce as can be, rather sad really.

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 02:04 PM
You actually just need one of them IIRC. But still Hisui route.

But who wants to skip Hisui route anyway, best route.

Bittersweet
September 17th, 2012, 02:04 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2724/4264994482_0d087f773b_o.jpg

Re~le~vent! ^_^

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Also that's false Milbunk.

http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/525-Best-Tsukihime-end

It's the most popular end on this site.

Milbunk
September 17th, 2012, 02:06 PM
It may be the most popular but again, how many times have you seen it brought up in actual discussion?

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I don't really see any ends brought up in discussion.

Except maybe when it's time for "are Talk and Prelude canon" debates, because that brings up Arc end for obvious reasons.

Milbunk
September 17th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Exactly, now tell me how many times do we see the Fate endings brought up? It's that kind of stuff that just makes me sad and a bit angry that they never really get any conversation about em.

SeiKeo
September 17th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Well, I clearly don't need to be deleting this.

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Exactly, now tell me how many times do we see the Fate endings brought up? It's that kind of stuff that just makes me sad and a bit angry that they never really get any conversation about em.

It's because Fate is more popular since Tsukihime is OLD. And the Anime sucks. And nobody read the manga except for me and 3 other people.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I clearly don't need to be deleting this.

leobard pls
(at least the others)

Milbunk
September 17th, 2012, 02:12 PM
True true, you know what, maybe I should just talk about nothing but Tsukihime for the entire rest of the month, I think I will, Kohaku needs more attention darn it and what better way then by me? (Also this is a side note but I don't really like the witch doctor thing that melty blood did to her cause it ruins some of her character in my opinion.)

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 02:14 PM
True true, you know what, maybe I should just talk about nothing but Tsukihime for the entire rest of the month, I think I will, Kohaku needs more attention darn it and what better way then by me? (Also this is a side note but I don't really like the witch doctor thing that melty blood did to her cause it ruins some of her character in my opinion.)

http://i.imgur.com/RMjZt.jpg

Pictured: Kohaku

Eh, you can't force things to become more popular. Just call everyone who didn't read Tsuki a noob.

Milbunk
September 17th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Yeah forcing ain't a good idea, but maybe I could put ideas in other peoples heads or something.

TypeWannabe
September 17th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Are you fucking kidding me with this thread -_-

Milbunk
September 17th, 2012, 02:20 PM
What? She could use more attention don't you agree TW?

Kotollama
September 17th, 2012, 02:34 PM
i'm a noob, as i couldn't bear of the lack of technology at tsukihime's visual novel.

but at least i'm one of the "other 3 persons" who saw the whole manga =D (and let me say that at least in the manga arcueid had some charisma).

Reynel
September 17th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Well, I loved Kohaku's route, but I hated the ending. It was missing... something. She only got one phrase in the epilogue!

Bittersweet
September 17th, 2012, 03:50 PM
The huge time skip made it seem rushed.

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Her route in general was pretty rushed (only 1 ending lol). If anything gets major overhauls in the Tsuki Remake my money is on the Kohaku route.

...though they probably won't change that ending CG, it's just too iconic.

Kuradora
September 17th, 2012, 03:57 PM
And too beautiful...

Reynel
September 17th, 2012, 04:04 PM
...though they probably won't change that ending CG, it's just too iconic.
I hated it. She even looks like dumbfounded or something.

Bittersweet
September 17th, 2012, 04:12 PM
I hated it. She even looks like dumbfounded or something.

Chalk that up to Takeuchi suck.

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 04:41 PM
I hated it.
The black thing that pounds in your chest is definetly not a heart.

Arashi_Leonhart
September 17th, 2012, 04:46 PM
I have to admit that while I love Kohaku's route, the ending makes me feel sudden tooth decay. Compared to the melancholy or outright downer endings and vibe throughout the game, it kind of felt out of place to me. I think that has more to do with delivery than content, though.

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 04:49 PM
Yeah it's...unusually happy for a Tsuki end.

But still no reason to dislike the CG, just headcanon Akiha's and Hisui's death or something :V

Bittersweet
September 17th, 2012, 04:59 PM
As far as endings go, I actually liked Arcueid's and Hisui's true endings the best. They gave me that feeling I look for. Akiha's sort of too, but it was more ambiguous.

I3uster
September 17th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Hisui True was awesome, my favorite end to my favorite route.

eddyak
September 17th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Chalk that up to Takeuchi suck.
He didn't need to draw her in a maid uniform any more. He lost all interest.

Reynel
September 17th, 2012, 06:47 PM
He didn't need to draw her in a maid uniform any more. He lost all interest.
It was probably because of this. Just look at her, she's like, drunk!
In overall, I prefer Hisui's route. Even her ending includes more Kohaku than the very Kohaku's route.

aldeayeah
September 18th, 2012, 05:30 AM
The thing with Kohaku route is that it plays too much like a coda, like all mysteries have already been solved.

That doesn't stop it from having some of the coolest stuff in the game, like the Bro-SHIKI, the NINJA AKIHA BEHEADING or the only eroscene in which Shiki's not a cunt.

Milbunk
September 18th, 2012, 10:02 AM
Speaking of bro SHIKI, does anybody remember one of the few parts of KT where we actually see him? (The hide and seek game.) That was one of my favorite parts cause it actually showed him in a positive light and stuff.

celsius
September 18th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Too bad it was fanfic.

Milbunk
September 18th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Was that particular one?

celsius
September 18th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Yes. Yes it was.

In the Ten Nights of Dream section, you know how the first seven stories' titles use blue-coloured text and the last three use white? The blue titles were written by Nasu, whilst the white titles were written by other people. The Tohno Family Con Game in particular was written by some guy who goes by 'Kenji'.

Drinking Dreaming Moon was also fanfic.

In fact, if Capslock-kun is ever written in a positive light, it's definitely not Nasu.

Milbunk
September 18th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Except you know during Tsukihime itself.

celsius
September 18th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I don't remember that.

I mean, unless you're talking about that whole "coffee conversation" thing in Kohaku's route but I'm not really sure where that fits on the scale since, sure, civil conversation and coffee and all that but it's also extremely likely the the money he used to buy that coffee was stolen off the poor schmuck he just brutally murdered, and while it WAS a refreshing change of pace to see him be not, you know, crazy and murderous for once, I'm just not sure it counts as a positive portrayal seeing as how he was still, well, a murderer. But eh, semantics.

Milbunk
September 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I meant in how you could at least see him when he's not all crazy with either Roa or about Akiha and such, you could also see the brother that Shiki grew up with all those years ago and such.

celsius
September 18th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Was there actually a whole lot of that? I don't think there were many flashbacks to him proper in the game. Most of Shiki's memories directly involved Akiha, Hisui or Kohaku with very little in the way of Capslock. Granted, that was probably because Makihisa brained him over the head with a stick as a child "brainwashed" him, so it's not entirely his fault, but still. In Akiha's route, he was crazy incestuous staker bro. Not a great portrayal. In Hisui's route, he was crazy rapist "GET OUTTA MY HEAD" bro. Again, kinda hard to paint that in a positive light. And in Kohaku's route, he was a serial killer, and NOT ONLY A SERIAL KILLER, but also a largely insignificant serial killer who was demoted to plot device soon after because by golly, he just wanted that "Less and Less Prominent Character" award so much.

Now, I do hope that you're not mixing up the game with that little comic book series which was (technically) written and drawn by a chap by the name of Sasaki Shonen because, while it's true that Nasu did dump his story and character notes on the guy and therefore contributed around 90% of the writing in that little number, he still didn't actually write the comic proper so it still doesn't count. In fact, I actually kinda doubt Nasu specifically told him to write Capslock-kun in a nicer non-incestuous crazy rapist light either. I mean, not SPECIFICALLY. I imagine the conversation went something more like this:

Sasaki: "Hey Nasu, you mind if I give ol' Capslock here a little extra screentime? Y'know, show his childhood, so the readers know he wasn't ALWAYS a creepy stalker rapist? That way maybe people will be less likely to mistaken him with Shiki."

Nasu: "Sure, sounds great, go ahead and do that."

Takeuchi: (from another room) "NASU, WHERE'S MY SANDWHICH!?"

Nasu: "Coming dearest~"

eddyak
September 18th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Sasaki: "Hey Nasu, you mind if I give ol' Capslock here a little extra screentime? Y'know, show his childhood, so the readers know he wasn't ALWAYS a creepy stalker rapist? That way maybe people will be less likely to mistaken him with Shiki."

Nasu: "Sure, sounds great, go ahead and do that."

Takeuchi: (from another room) "NASU, CAN I DRAW SABER SOME MORE!?"

Nasu: "Uh oh, he's gotten out of his restraints again~"
Fixed.

I3uster
September 18th, 2012, 02:07 PM
I remember talk in Tsuki about how SHIKI wanted to be killed if he ever turned batshit or something like that.

Kagaya
October 9th, 2012, 08:25 AM
I'm the one who also loves Kohaku's more than any other routes. Maybe not the whole route, but the epilogue, as I take it, is nothing but a masterpiece by Nasu. Upon finishing it, I just came to realize I had fallen in love with summer.

Bittersweet
October 9th, 2012, 09:57 AM
a
I'm the one who also loves Kohaku's more than any other routes. Maybe not the whole route, but the epilogue, as I take it, is nothing but a masterpiece by Nasu. Upon finishing it, I just came to realize I had fallen in love with summer.

Yay! ^_^

0SilverHawk0
October 11th, 2012, 01:08 AM
There was a few things I was iffy about on some of the endings. Kohaku just forgetting about everything in the true ending was kinda....yeah. It seems like the kind of thing where her problems were never fixed, just ignored.

ZZ-3000
May 4th, 2013, 08:10 AM
I didn't like the Kohaku route-it just felt unnecessary. Once you find out the truth about her in the endings of Hisui's routes, the impact of rediscovering the truth about her isn't as strong as the first time and the entire route just ends up feeling redundant. Not to mention that it feels more like an extended Akiha route rather than a Kohaku one. To me, Ciel's route with the true ending and Hisui's route, with either endings, are the best ones (I don't care much for Ciel, but the reason why I prefer this route over Arcueid's route is that you get to fight Arcueid at the end and she's just a much more threatening presence than Roa)

Kelnish
May 4th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Kohaku's route is much better than Hisui's though. In pretty much every way. Because Hisui's is a real time bed-rest simulator with like two scenes that are actually good.

The only problem I had with Kohaku's was that my inner edgy teenager demanded that she actually died when Akiha killed her for increased angst. Because then we could have had a yandere incest end, which is something sorely lacking in the world today.

Orange
May 4th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Kohaku's route is much better than Hisui's though. In pretty much every way. Because Hisui's is a real time bed-rest simulator with like two scenes that are actually good.

The only problem I had with Kohaku's was that my inner edgy teenager demanded that she actually died when Akiha killed her for increased angst. Because then we could have had a yandere incest end, which is something sorely lacking in the world today.

I disagree. Hisui's character had real depth. I personally enjoyed her route the most compounded by the fact that the true end really appealed to me for some reason.

And if Akiha had killed her it would've ended with either Shiki's or Akiha's death. She did try to commit suicide before Kohaku stopped her.

ZZ-3000
May 4th, 2013, 09:37 AM
But the endings in Hisui's route left a much bigger impact and some of the hallucinations you had during the real time bed-rest simulator were genuinely trippy. The so-called "romance" in the Kohaku route felt forced and Akiha's yandere tendencies felt like they should've been in her own route and end up over-shadowing Kohaku during the second part of the route. Not to mention that by the time you got to the final route, I was getting tired of shanking Satsuki for the third time and spent a good part of the story just holding ctrl. The ending to the Kohaku route just felt so dull and fluffy in comparison to what I've seen before, that it killed it a bit for me. The fight with Akiha was cool, but was resolved far too conveniently.

Orange
May 4th, 2013, 09:59 AM
But the endings in Hisui's route left a much bigger impact and some of the hallucinations you had during the real time bed-rest simulator were genuinely trippy. The so-called "romance" in the Kohaku route felt forced and Akiha's yandere tendencies felt like they should've been in her own route and end up over-shadowing Kohaku during the second part of the route. Not to mention that by the time you got to the final route, I was getting tired of shanking Satsuki for the third time and spent a good part of the story just holding ctrl. The ending to the Kohaku route just felt so dull and fluffy in comparison to what I've seen before, that it killed it a bit for me. The fight with Akiha was cool, but was resolved far too conveniently.

Well I meant the Hisui true End rather than the Kohaku true end. The Kohaku True end felt like Nasu trying to end things on a high note similar to HF true.

ZZ-3000
May 4th, 2013, 10:02 AM
I was replying to Kelnish, but completely agree with you.