PDA

View Full Version : "Like" function

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 10:28 AM
I saw this in other forums and I think it's pretty neat, because it saves me the time to quote every single Mcjon post I see. Basically it does what the "like" button in Facebook does. Is it compatible with our kind of forum?

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 10:30 AM
What would the effect of it be?

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Increase e-peen.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 10:43 AM
What would the effect of it be?

Increase e-peen.

That and encourage quality posts through the increase of e-peen, or showing appreciation for a fic/contribution without needing to comment on it (which also doesn't bump the thread because apparently necroing is THE MOST HORRIBLE THING EVER).

I just think it's a very neat feature to have. Not necessary (like blogs) but improving the overall forum experience.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
I think it's only necessary in a larger forum than this. Beast's Lair is intimate enough so that everyone knows who makes good posts anyway.

Dark Pulse
September 27th, 2012, 10:47 AM
I'm pretty sure there's a mod for it, but I likewise question its actual "necessity." To me, it's about as necessary as, say, the forum RPG mod was - i.e; something for fun - and that was soundly shot down when I brought it up for similar reasons of e-peen. :p

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Don't try to stand in the way of progress, Lord Vader. Either it's bad for a reason or it's good for a reason. "We don't need it" is no argument, because we didn't need Blogs either and now everybody loves em.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Don't be so proud of this technological terror they've constructed. The ability to "like" a post is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient religion has not helped you fix the forced subscribing, or given you enough clairvoyance to announce downtimes before they happen...

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 10:54 AM
http://ocvarsity.freedomblogging.com/files/2012/05/Darth_Vader_force_choke.jpg
I find your lack of Sakura disturbing.

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM
That and encourage quality posts through the increase of e-peen, or showing appreciation for a fic/contribution without needing to comment on it (which also doesn't bump the thread because apparently necroing is THE MOST HORRIBLE THING EVER).

I just think it's a very neat feature to have. Not necessary (like blogs) but improving the overall forum experience.

Yeah, honestly I don't like the idea of "reputation" at all. It just ostracises people (especially given that people with high reputation get to give more reputation out), and this forum is small enough that everyone knows their opinion of everyone else anyway.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM
It's not a reputation system, it only works for individual posts :V

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:22 AM
I have to agree with I3uster on this one, though. Encouraging quality posts is good, as well as improving your own post quality by seeing as others approve or disapprove it. e-peenfags can get annoying, but as mentioned BL is intimate enough - though it's big enough as well.

Is it compatible with our kind of forum?
Yes

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 11:24 AM
It's not a reputation system, it only works for individual posts :V

Well, perhaps.

I guess that could be useful, as long as it doesn't turn into people going "hey, I got 54 likes", and as long as the effect of posts being "liked" is very limited.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Well, perhaps.

I guess that could be useful, as long as it doesn't turn into people going "hey, I got 54 likes", and as long as the effect of posts being "liked" is very limited.
Effect of posts being "liked" is a number next to it saying how many "likes" or "dislikes" it has.

And I would say people going "hey, I got 54 likes" on a whim in public sounds stupid, and in friendly circles it would be fine, don't you think?

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Well, my issue with it is that it seems like it's going to turn into a way to bash certain people, particularly if it's shown in big letters by the side of the post.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM
The effect of a post being liked is a post being liked.

And e-peen isn't really a problem in BL. We never really get postcounterwhoring or anything either.

This would be especially useful for the RP threads, where OOC and IC threads run asynchronous, so for a casual lurker of said threads there is no visible strong reaction to individual posts, which would change with a like system.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Well, my issue with it is that it seems like it's going to turn into a way to bash certain people, particularly if it's shown in big letters by the side of the post.

IMO you're overthinking it. You're already used to post-bashing, and if there's no "dislike" function you just will have 0 likes at your posts in the worst case, just like all irrelevant posts would.

Also, on many forums where this function is enabled, it's quite often forgotten (It's just a small button there. what matters is the post, alrite.)

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
The effect of a post being liked is a post being liked.

And e-peen isn't really a problem in BL. We never really get postcounterwhoring or anything either.

This would be especially useful for the RP threads, where OOC and IC threads run asynchronous, so for a casual lurker of said threads there is no visible strong reaction to individual posts, which would change with a like system.

I don't get why it's a good thing to "like" RP posts.

Also, it seems to me like having that function will tend to mean that people judge what someone says on the basis of how many people "like" it rather than the weight of the argument, which isn't a good thing.

Although, not having a "dislike" function would perhaps make it better. A dislike function just seems like it's going to invite bashing to me.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Because it encourages quality posts?

And I doubt that people are this retarded.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I don't get why it's a good thing to "like" RP posts.
Because you can't say "What a nice post!" in an IC-thread, and you will most often neglect to comment it at all if it's a bother to go to OOC.

Also, it seems to me like having that function will tend to mean that people judge what someone says on the basis of how many people "like" it rather than the weight of the argument, which isn't a good thing.
Yet again, you're overthinking it. And it's a good thing to know what community thinks anyway.

^

Bittersweet
Isn't this the sort of mechanic that a certain exotic BL member would figure out a way to exploit for his own amusement?

I3uster
Isn't this the sort of mechanic that a certain exotic BL member would figure out a way to exploit for his own amusement?

So is the post function. Or the blog function.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM
If I recall, part of the blog function was exploited by him. :V

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:37 AM
Are we done speaking in puzzles?

inb4 (http://nooooooooooooooo.com/)

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Well, yes, but my point stands. A useful function shouldn't be disabled just because one member who can easily be banned (and isn't yet because...because...because...) abuses it.

Spinach
September 27th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Are we done speaking in puzzles?

It's CV

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I figure I should change my "Exploit" definition.
I only remember activity stream exploited here.

Anyway, that function doesn't have as many downsides as it has upsides (and most downsides are "probably I think that it may be a case that someone might be a douche with it")

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 11:40 AM
I approve of the ideia of a Like function, on Fb it is an awesome feature.

But no Dislike button, that is just bullying.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 11:42 AM
I approve of the ideia of a Like function, on Fb it is an awesome feature.

But no Dislike button, that is just bullying.

Yeah, dislike buttons are just stupid, and they don't discourage shitposting either. But a like button would be nice, I stand by that.

Tobias
September 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
...actually, this conversation has swayed me a bit, if writing an RP post I was able to get feedback on what people liked or didn't it might help me a lot to improve.

hmmm.

SeiKeo
September 27th, 2012, 11:44 AM
Not quite sure how a generic like button gives you specific feedback.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM

Like.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:45 AM

That's if it's anonymous.

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Because it encourages quality posts?

No, it encourages popular posts. The two are not necessarily the same thing.

Enhance
No, it encourages popular posts. The two are not necessarily the same thing.
Quality posts are way more likely to be popular.

I3uster
Well, we still have the OOC threads for specific feedback. It's more for lurkers or casual glances, to highlight awesome posts and encourage the writing of those.

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Yeah, dislike buttons are just stupid, and they don't discourage shitposting either. But a like button would be nice, I stand by that.

Yeah, I can see the point of this. A "dislike" button just tends to result in people feeling set upon if they get a lot of "dislikes" and unpopular opinions getting voted down (every time I've seen a comment site with a "like" and "dislike" option, the comments that support the majority view have positive scores and those that support the minority view have negative scores, regardless of the content of the post), but a "like" button allows people to express their liking for something without needing to post, and can be useful.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Should there be a notification if someone liked your post?

Because if so Mcjon and food will be receiving notifications all the time.

Yeah, I can see the point of this. A "dislike" button just tends to result in people feeling set upon if they get a lot of "dislikes" and unpopular opinions getting voted down (every time I've seen a comment site with a "like" and "dislike" option, the comments that support the majority view have positive scores and those that support the minority view have negative scores, regardless of the content of the post), but a "like" button allows people to express their liking for something without needing to post, and can be useful.

Not to mention that people will start to Dislike posts of people that they dislike out of spite.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 11:50 AM
But there are RP discussion threads, and everyone gives proper feedback and congratulations in them. This liking feature would just be superfluous. :-/

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Quality posts are way more likely to be popular.

Well, to some extent, but quality is not sufficient. If someone posts a well-written, eloquent argument about how Saber is a bitch, they're going to get a lot of "dislikes".

- - - Updated - - -

Should there be a notification if someone liked your post?

Because if so Mcjon and food will be receiving notifications all the time.

If at all, it'd have to be optional. Otherwise people would just get spammed with "like" messages.

Bittersweet
And quality posts already become popular. In signatures.

SeiKeo
And quality posts already become popular. In signatures.

Well, this is a pretty compelling argument that liking won't encourage qualityposts.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM
But there are RP discussion threads, and everyone gives proper feedback and congratulations in them. This liking feature would just be superfluous. :-/
I (people) sometimes have fun/like some posts, but don't bother going to OOC every time you read it (or, specifically, you won't be listing "the posts I liked that you wrote" for them, if there's more than one). When saying something more than "I liked it" is unnecessary, and saying "I like it" is just not enough for a post.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Well, to some extent, but quality is not sufficient. If someone posts a well-written, eloquent argument about how Saber is a bitch, they're going to get a lot of "dislikes".

Because even if it is a well-writen post, the poster is still being a douche.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Dislikes are out of question already, and if it's written well it will be liked by people who see it right.
Try well-writing a post about Saber being a bitch. It's harder than you think.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 11:54 AM
This is why if I see something particularly good, I'll tell the person directly why I liked it. (via message)

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:55 AM
This is why if I see something particularly good, I'll tell the person directly why I liked it. (via message)
That's you. And that's "one particularly good". How about a person who has posted 10 IC RP posts, and you liked about 5 of them more than other (and that actually made it fun)? Would you list them all?
On the other hand, if some of his posts get better acceptance than some other, it's already food for thought and a pathway to improving.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 11:56 AM
So, uh, the best counterargument boils down to "it's not strictly necessary"
Since DP mentioned that the implementation would be relatively quick and easy I guess that should settle that, we could also make a poll though :V

Bittersweet
A generic like button makes things too impersonal, and seems like people will just blandly click it rather than engaging in actual conversation. It may lessen the bonds of community by giving such a sterile, mechanical form of encouragement.

Guy

Yes, but it would be fun to have.

Blogs are also superfluous, but people love them.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM
So what you are saying is that it will cut down the hugboxing behavior?

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Blogs still have the flavor and spice of human interaction, just in a spinoff universe to the main forum.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 11:58 AM
A generic like button makes things too impersonal, and seems like people will just blandly click it rather than engaging in actual conversation. It may lessen the bonds of community by giving such a sterile, mechanical form of encouragement.

Generic like alone would let you point out the fine posts without the need to comment on every single one of them. No one stops you from actually commenting and actually replying to the awesome-st, epic posts.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
The only kind of post it would discourage would be an irrelevant one.
(This isn't a bad thing)

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 11:59 AM
So you're admitting that, in the end, liking really has no purpose in the grand scheme.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
I already listed multiple reasons for why it would be a good function enhancing the forum experience. That combined with the fact that implementation doesn't seem to be all that hard makes me think it's worthwhile to implement it.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM
So you're admitting that, in the end, liking really has no purpose in the grand scheme.

Because fun is not a purpose?

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Darpies already has a lot on his plate! Do you think he's some sort of glutton?

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Darples seems to be really indifferent towards the idea, I'm just trying to seduce him with my revealing arguments and sexy typing style.

Dark Pulse
September 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I still fail to really see the usefulness of it and still think it'll be mostly e-peened. After all, not everyone likes (or cares about) Mcjon or food.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Darples seems to be really indifferent towards the idea, I'm just trying to seduce him with my revealing arguments and sexy typing style.

Try using an avatar that show boobs.

I still fail to really see the usefulness of it and still think it'll be mostly e-peened. After all, not everyone likes (or cares about) Mcjon or food.

It could help during an argument too, having a like button would show which side people are taking on.

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Because even if it is a well-writen post, the poster is still being a douche.

No, they're not. They're just expressing an opinion.

If you replaced "Saber" with "Sakura" in that statement, it'd be a lot more popular.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
I still fail to really see the usefulness of it and still think it'll be mostly e-peened. After all, not everyone like Mcjon or food.
The userbase obviously sees the benefit though. And I have already listed multiple benefits. Discourages one-line posting and hugboxing, encourages quality posts and RP threads.
The only reason to not implement it would be that it's not strictly necessary, but then again, what function is, probably just the editor and image/URL embedding. Think of it like emoticon implementation if you don't think highly of it.

I have never encountered a forum where it became a problem, and I frequent two that use it and I know of SB though I don't frequent that one.

And honestly, debating around it when it simply has no real downsides is going to take longer than the actual implementation, lol.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 12:10 PM
No, they're not. They're just expressing an opinion.

If you replaced "Saber" with "Sakura" in that statement, it'd be a lot more popular.

I would still find the poster a douche.

Kotonoha
September 27th, 2012, 12:11 PM
This idea is stupid.

Remind me of the reputation system idea which we were pretty much all completely opposed to.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:16 PM
This idea is stupid.

Remind me of the reputation system idea which we were pretty much all completely opposed to.

Rep systems are just bullying tools lol, and we don't need that, we already have #notes :V
Like system is more like a button for "quote post, write I agree/lol" and helps against cluttering up threads.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Rep systems are just bullying tools lol, and we don't need that, we already have #notes :V
Like system is more like a button for "quote post, write I agree/lol" and helps against cluttering up threads.

Pretty much this.

How about a poll?

If people approve implement it, if not, well, we survived without it so far.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Poll is meaningless without Darples telling us how much % he needs to be swayed

Milbunk
September 27th, 2012, 12:25 PM
I don't really like the idea either, but to me it sounds like you're just trying to rush the idea through.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Poll is meaningless without Darples telling us how much % he needs to be swayed

Yeah, but it would show us how much of the forum is interested on the ideia.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:27 PM
And why don't you like it? Because right now the only complaints were "CV will abuse it" and "It's not really necessary".

And I'm trying my best to refute the second one atm, might look like rushing it I guess.

Milbunk
September 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM
To me it just makes the forum feel less personal and more mechanical, though the not really necessary is true the blogs weren't also necessary but a fun little thing people like to use.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:31 PM
But how does it do that? It's not like normal posting suddenly gets disabled or anything.

NuitTombee
September 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM
As always it'd be up to the user whether they'd want to use it or not, if implemented, but for those who don't like to type all that much (lurkers), or very well, it might encourage them to give their opinion on a matter with but the click of a button.

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 12:33 PM
This idea is stupid.

Well, it's somewhat better than that because a) it only applies to single posts, so a person doesn't get stigmatised by it and b) it wouldn't have a "dislike" option, so you couldn't use it to disapprove of something. Still, I'm not particularly convinced by it.

Tobias
September 27th, 2012, 12:38 PM

if one post has 5 likes and another has 0, it clues me one was better done then the other.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM
I especially see it improving the FF ideas thread, no other thread has so many two word responses that could be solved with the click of a button lol.

...not that they need to stop or anything, I mean if someone wants to type out "write that/take my money" why not, but might make the thread easier to look over.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 12:43 PM
I3uster, why now? Why are you all of a sudden rampantly championing this as if you've got some kind of a deadline to meet?

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Why not?

Spinach
September 27th, 2012, 12:49 PM
I reckon it might be related to him posting on Spacebattles a few times and thinking "hrrrm, this like thing is kinda neat."

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM
So you are saying that this is just the precursor to an all-out invasion by the members of Spacebattles. I see.

Then I3uster is an agent of this looming rebellion.. >:3

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I3uster, why now? Why are you all of a sudden rampantly championing this as if you've got some kind of a deadline to meet?

This forum has ADD, better rampantly champion things before everybody stops caring :V

Like with the banners.

Raven2785
September 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM
So you are saying that this is just the precursor to an all-out invasion by the members of Spacebattles. I see.

Then I3uster is an agent of this looming rebellion.. >:3

Buster, secret spy sent here to take advantage of us in our moment of weakness.

All joking aside, Buster I see your point as to why this would be a good thing I seriously can't get behind it, I have seen more that a few boards devolve into simply "liking" something instead of actually replying.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 12:56 PM

All joking aside, Buster I see your point as to why this would be a good thing I seriously can't get behind it, I have seen more that a few boards devolve into simply "liking" something instead of actually replying.

This exactly. Sorry, rebel sp- I mean I3uster.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM

This just means it'd have prevented two-words responses or the likes, because if something needs addressing a reply would still get typed out.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM

What is the difference when the reply of most people is "*quote* this" or "shut up and take my money"?

With the like button threads would be easier to look at.

Milbunk
September 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
I'd say that if you really want it to be implemented you should give it more time rather then hoping it would get implemented so fast.

Raven2785
September 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM
This just means it'd have prevented two-words responses or the likes, because if something needs addressing a reply would still get typed out.

Ah, I see you still have faith in humanity. I have seen threads that would warrant good discussion before become threads with 2-3 posts and about 30 to 40 likes, so no, just no.

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Ah, I see you still have faith in humanity. I have seen threads that would warrant good discussion before become threads with 2-3 posts and about 30 to 40 likes, so no, just no.

Yeah, the issue is that, if someone types a reply, they often feel compelled to provide reasoning or, even, someone could ask them why they feel that way. Pressing the "like" button is anonymous and doesn't require explanation, and thus cannot trigger a discussion.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM

Come on, do you really think that the forum would change so much because of a single button?

If anything it would make the lurkers more likely to show theirs opinions.

SeiKeo
September 27th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Come on, do you really think that the forum would change so much because of a single button?

I daresay, if all their opinion is is "+1" it's not worth hearing.

Kotonoha
September 27th, 2012, 01:09 PM

I don't think it would change much at all.

Which is why it seems pointless to even bother adding it.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM

No it wont, this will just make it easier for them to not actually post.

- - - Updated - - -

is is

Raven2785
September 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM

Not inmediately, but over time....

^ This. Well said Leo.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM

It is not pointless because several people are obviously approving it and want that function. It's not [much] of a bother, if anything that's probably a single checkbox, and if that won't change much, it's just to the better - it won't bother people who don't need it or see it pointless.

Dark Pulse
September 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM
This forum has ADD, better rampantly champion things before everybody stops caring :V

Like with the banners.300+ entries in a month is impressive. I just had to remind everyone the contest was actually running, apparently.

And now we're sorting through them. Or are supposed to be, but the mods are being fucking lazy and not counting up characters like they're supposed to be doing. So if you're reading this, mods, GET TO FUCKING COUNTING!!!

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 01:14 PM

It might not be much, but it is still worth hearing.

It woudn't change much, just a way to show that you agreed/loled of a commentary, always a good thing to hear.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
300+ entries in a month is impressive. I just had to remind everyone the contest was actually running, apparently.

And now we're sorting through them. Or are supposed to be, but the mods are being fucking lazy and not counting up characters like they're supposed to be doing. So if you're reading this, mods, GET TO FUCKING COUNTING!!!

It was dead until I asked Spy to make banners :V

And that he did. And that encouraged even Mike to do it.

Satehi
September 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
lyke dis if u cry eerytiem

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM

To be fair, "it won't change anything" isn't a good reason to not add it, at least if doing so is reasonably simple. I've seen the argument "no-one cares" used by DP against me often enough that I'm not going to defend him using it against others....

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
So if you're reading this, mods, GET TO FUCKING COUNTING!!!
Just make me automatize that after all. Would take no more than 20 minutes to get all of them sorted and counted.
Well gee, haters.

Mike1984
September 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
It was dead until I asked Spy to make banners :V

And that he did. And that encouraged even Mike to do it.

Well, yeah, because no-one even noticed it existed.

And, yeah, he did get me to make banners, mainly because his anti-Sakura bias was pissing me off (especially when coupled with the rules for the contest that were heavily biased towards banner spamming).

Kyte
September 27th, 2012, 01:18 PM
+1
How often do you see this kind of posts? Making them inexcusable is good in my book.

Reynel
September 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Well, personally, I don't like the Idea, not that it matters since I'm relatively new here, but think about it. A"like" feature is just a random, mechanical response. Although it would be a good Idea in the FanArt and FanFic Threads (or not, because of the lack of feedback).
Besides, it would't be much useful in discussion threads, since a post establishing an idea (or argument) talks by itself, and the number of "likes" would just make you think is right (or not) by the number of likes instead of the argument itself.
Also, readers would take more time by "disliking" a "liked" post once they see a counterargument, finally making them just forget about it.
It has his pros, but I think they are actually replaceable by other means that people already use.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Not inmediately, but over time....

It's just a like button man.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Well, personally, I don't like the Idea, not that it matters since I'm relatively new here, but think about it. A"like" feature is just a random, mechanical response. Although it would be a good Idea in the FanArt and FanFic Threads (or not, because of the lack of feedback).
Besides, it would't be much useful in discussion threads, since a post establishing an idea (or argument) talks by itself, and the number of "likes" would just make you think is right (or not) by the number of likes instead of the argument itself.
Also, readers would take more time by "disliking" a "liked" post once they see a counterargument, finally making them just forget about it.
It has his pros, but I think they are actually replaceable by other means that people already use.
That's because a lot of people are zombified by facebook likes. Forum "likes" are of another sort. You'll see it when you get to it.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 01:26 PM
snip

There would be no dislike button, that's just bullying.

Also, who judges what is right on a discussion by the number of likes? What are we, 12 years old?

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 01:29 PM
I might be more trusting of this if it didn't seem like there was such a desperate rush to get it implemented.
It's like
"HEY GUYS, I GOT THIS GOOD IDEA CALLED SOPA, NOW LETS HURRY UP AND VOTE FOR IT. WHAT? DON'T WORRY WHAT IT'S ABOUT JUST HURRY UP AND VOTE!"

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Eh, DP just said on #notes that even a poll probably won't sway him.

Party's over, everybody go home.

Reynel
September 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM
There would be no dislike button, that's just bullying.

I don't mean the dis like button. I'm saying that if you "like" a post, then see a counter argument, you go the post you liked, and take the like you gave before.

And people do judge by the number of likes. Maybe not consciously, but THEY DO. Even you do.

Raven2785
It's just a like button man.

That's my point, it IS just a like button, there's a lot of people out there that are just lazy and don't what to take the time to type an answer. This are the same people that think a 10 minute Youtube video is too long or the same type of people that see a post that's a couple of paragraphs long and they'll go tl;dr. I'm generally against the "facebooking" of the internet, nowadays everything has to have walls, and likes, and that stupid "sign up with your facebook account" page.

Kyte
If it shows who liked a post it makes for a good retard-detector. :V
Also who's a hugboxer, who actually thinks before liking, etc.
It's surprisingly informative.

Enhance
I might be more trusting of this if it didn't seem like there was such a desperate rush to get it implemented.
It's like
"HEY GUYS, I GOT THIS GOOD IDEA CALLED SOPA, NOW LETS HURRY UP AND VOTE FOR IT. WHAT? DON'T WORRY WHAT IT'S ABOUT JUST HURRY UP AND VOTE!"
That's a wrong comparison. Anyway, party's over so it's over.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Yay Darpies! ^_^

Five_X
Mm, I love it when optimistic plebs are crushed by the steel boot of authority, ahahahahaha.

Enhance
Yay Darpies! ^_^

Sounds like you really had something big and personal against it

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
It's like

It's the only way to get things through here, cause a ruckus, push, push, push and make people care.

Because honestly, nobody really cares, but at least being pushy makes it seem that people care, like with the banners (again) :V

Milbunk
September 27th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Hey the only real reason I ever cared about the banners myself was because of BL-tan, now that she gets her own theme regardless of what banners are picked I don't really care anymore.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 01:36 PM
That's my point, it IS just a like button, there's a lot of people out there that are just lazy and don't what to take the time to type an answer. This are the same people that think a 10 minute Youtube video is too long or the same type of people that see a post that's a couple of paragraphs long and they'll go tl;dr. I'm generally against the "facebooking" of the internet, nowadays everything has to have walls, and likes, and that stupid "sign up with your facebook account" page.

Dude, if you have an opinion on a thread you can still say it, but it would be better to have ten likes on a post than 10 "Shut up and take my money" posts.

I think you are confusing "like" with douchebags on facebook.

Bittersweet
September 27th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Sounds like you really had something big and personal against it
I just realized I haven't really done anything evil since becoming evil, so I figured this would be a good place to start.

Uuufufufu~ >:3

I3uster's dreams now crushed.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I just realized I haven't really done anything evil since becoming evil, so I figured this would be a good place to start.

You should instead kill his dog. :3

I3uster
I don't have a dog. I am afraid of dogs. And firecrackers. And balloons.

Bittersweet
What??? No!
I like dogs! ;_;

SeiKeo
September 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM

You're a very bad German.

Enhance
September 27th, 2012, 01:38 PM
I don't no longer have a dog.
Fixed.

Spinach
September 27th, 2012, 01:39 PM

This is good to know.

I3uster
You're a very bad German.

But your mom says I'm a damn fine lover.

Bittersweet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LIbDbFs7Ak

Kyte
September 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Smooth misdirection.

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 01:40 PM

All we need now is a dog.

Milbunk
September 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I'll just leave this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LIbDbFs7Ak

Raven2785
Dude, if you have an opinion on a thread you can still say it, but it would be better to have ten likes on a post than 10 "Shut up and take my money" posts.

I think you are confusing "like" with douchebags on facebook.

No it's more like I'm confusing it with people not wanting to discuss things and go "hey, I can just like this and not say anything at all"

SeiKeo
But your mom says I'm a damn fine lover.

Cool, I hope you like Rachel Maddow.

Raven2785
September 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM

I must befriend you....

Guy
September 27th, 2012, 01:46 PM
No it's more like I'm confusing it with people not wanting to discuss things and go "hey, I can just like this and not say anything at all"

Sometimes when people have nothing to say they go:

*quote*
This

Which can easily be replaced with a like.

But we are arguing for nothing, it won't be implemented so...

(By the way, The Last days of Foxhound? Awesome comic)

Raven2785
September 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Sometimes when people have nothing to say they go:

*quote*
This

Which can easily be replaced with a like.

But we are arguing for nothing, it won't be implemented so...

(By the way, The Last days of Foxhound? Awesome comic)

I know, Last Days of Foxhound was great, I specially loved Mantis and Ocelot going at it every chance they had.

Dark Pulse
September 27th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Eh, DP just said on #notes that even a poll probably won't sway him.

Party's over, everybody go home.Wrong. I said it'd have to be substantial (i.e; not adding it if it's 80/20 but only 9 people voted), and that I'm not going to post some set of arbitrary percentages/numbers that would have to be "met" for it to be implemented.

I also stated that I make no guarantees that such a poll will influence me into adding it, as I still see little point in it, and I'm still fairly sure that not as many people agree with you as you think.

If to you that means you feel a poll wouldn't sway me, so be it, but I'd like to set the record straight as to what I said.

food
September 27th, 2012, 09:26 PM
Increase e-peen.

We don't need "like".

We need displayable trophies under your avatar, such as "Longest constructive post in the forum" or "Participant in the longest flame war".

Just "likes" are too insubstantial.

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Wrong. I said it'd have to be substantial (i.e; not adding it if it's 80/20 but only 9 people voted), and that I'm not going to post some set of arbitrary percentages/numbers that would have to be "met" for it to be implemented.

I also stated that I make no guarantees that such a poll will influence me into adding it, as I still see little point in it, and I'm still fairly sure that not as many people agree with you as you think.

If to you that means you feel a poll wouldn't sway me, so be it, but I'd like to set the record straight as to what I said.
"A poll is useless and I am against the idea" is for me a pretty definite way of saying "stop annoying me". :V

food
September 27th, 2012, 09:41 PM
It's a nice idea on paper, but I think it will be really distracting in practice.

Also, it may promote the wrong thing since we know the prevailing opinions are proven wrong by Nasu like 80% of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Who ate Crying_Vegeta's post? You are denying my right to rant.

You are the cancer that is killing BL.

You fools are turning BL into Facebook for Neckbeards.

"Blogs", "Likes" and posting photos. What's next? Upvote and karma?

Back in my days, there was only General, and everything was better.

Crying_Vegeta
September 27th, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hello, sirs. This is someone who is not crying vegeta speaking. I would just like to say that I think this rating business is a right splendid idea. I support it whole heartedly.
O_~

I3uster
September 27th, 2012, 09:47 PM
It's a nice idea on paper, but I think it will be really distracting in practice.

Also, it may promote the wrong thing since we know the prevailing opinions are proven wrong by Nasu like 80% of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

EDIT: Who ate Crying_Vegeta's post? You are denying my right to rant.

You are the cancer that is killing BL.

You fools are turning BL into Facebook for Neckbeards.

"Blogs", "Likes" and posting photos. What's next? Upvote and karma?

Back in my days, there was only General, and everything was better.
You are a relic from times long past, old man.
(Like this post if you agree)

Crying_Vegeta
September 27th, 2012, 09:55 PM
5 people hurt their thumbs while clicking a 'like' button (thumbs up if you agree!)

food
September 27th, 2012, 10:58 PM
You are a relic from times long past, old man.
(Like this post if you agree)

That's right.

Call me Old Man Killjoy McNofun.

ZidanReign
September 28th, 2012, 12:08 AM
when I read rep system, I was like "yeah, i'm going to be the most ignored person on the forum now"

then I realized this was never gonna happen

sadface

Mcjon01
September 28th, 2012, 05:17 AM
The only thing that could possibly make this idea better is if we also changed it so that posts are sorted by popularity rather than chronogical order of posting!

aldeayeah
September 28th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Then we could vote spam to set up/break combos!

Kotonoha
September 28th, 2012, 12:24 PM
/r/beastslair

I3uster
September 28th, 2012, 12:34 PM
/r/beastslair

lel upboat xD

Bittersweet
September 28th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Maybe it's because of the /r/, but I accidentally read that as "breastslair." >.<

bahamut zero
September 28th, 2012, 01:00 PM

Dark Pulse
September 28th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Maybe it's because of the /r/, but I accidentally read that as "breastslair." >.<Well, that is one of our potential banner entrants...

Five_X
September 28th, 2012, 02:16 PM
:D

Bittersweet
September 28th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Ehehe.

Dark Pulse
September 28th, 2012, 02:54 PM
However, said banner entrant hasn't replied to my PM requesting that he submit his final version of it.

I hope he does so soon, or I'm going to have to twist his nuts in ways the good Lord did not intend.

Lycodrake
September 28th, 2012, 02:57 PM
Yeah, I flat-out don't have the skill to make a "finalized" version of those I presented.
I tried, though. XP

Dark Pulse
September 28th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Yeah, I flat-out don't have the skill to make a "finalized" version of those I presented.
I tried, though. XPShall I take that as you withdrawing from the contest, or should I consider what I saved as the finals?

You had four, for the record.

RadiantBeam
September 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM
However, said banner entrant hasn't replied to my PM requesting that he submit his final version of it.

I hope he does so soon, or I'm going to have to twist his nuts in ways the good Lord did not intend.

Sounds kinky.

Lycodrake
September 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM
Shall I take that as you withdrawing from the contest, or should I consider what I saved as the finals?

You had four, for the record.
You may consider the ones you have saved as the finals.

Dark Pulse
September 28th, 2012, 03:06 PM
You may consider the ones you have saved as the finals.Alright then. Please send me links to them, as instructed in the PM you should have gotten. (Makes it easier for book-keeping on our end.)

If you don't got a PM from me on it, let me know.

Sounds kinky.You don't get to watch.

RadiantBeam
September 28th, 2012, 03:09 PM
You don't get to watch.

But I'd be very quiet, and I'd never interrupt!

Dark Pulse
September 28th, 2012, 03:45 PM
But I'd be very quiet, and I'd never interrupt!...Something tells me you wouldn't be quiet for long.

RadiantBeam
September 28th, 2012, 05:48 PM
...Something tells me you wouldn't be quiet for long.

Hey, I have good self-control thank you very much.

Spinach
September 28th, 2012, 05:56 PM
(She doesn't)

(super srs thread no derailing guyz)

Dark Pulse
September 28th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Hey, I have good self-control thank you very much.Yes, but can you really be TOTALLY silent with what you'll be doing?

I somehow doubt this.

Petrikow
September 28th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I think you should be able to favorite posts as long as you include a 25+ word reasoning presented in congratulatory letter form.

For example, if I wanted to favorite one of Spinach's posts:

Dear Mr. Spinach

The post you recently made concerning Stegosaurus' tickled my funny bones and as such it is in my interests to present you this favorite as a formal declaration of approval and recommendation.

I would be highly amused if the humorous quality of your posts kept this standard for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Petrikow
Beast's Lair regular user.

Spinach
September 28th, 2012, 07:23 PM
I NEVER POSTED ABOUT STEGOSAURUS

Petrikow
September 28th, 2012, 07:25 PM
I NEVER POSTED ABOUT STEGOSAURUS

Well, there goes your favorite!

Aiden
September 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Eh. The Like system's worked pretty well for the White Wolf forums in terms of annihilating most of the 'this' and insubstantial agreement posts.

So if anyone actually cares about the original topic of the thread still, I'm all for it!

Lycodrake
September 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Eh. The Like system's worked pretty well for the White Wolf forums in terms of annihilating most of the 'this' and insubstantial agreement posts.
So if anyone actually cares about the original topic of the thread still, I'm all for it!
Haven't been a part of a forum that does this, but given your summary of it...
I think I'm, at least, open to the idea of this function.

RadiantBeam
September 29th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Yes, but can you really be TOTALLY silent with what you'll be doing?

I somehow doubt this.

Good sir, just what are you implying?

Dark Pulse
September 29th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Good sir, just what are you implying?It's physically impossible to be perfectly quiet. Even breathing makes noise.

Spinach
September 29th, 2012, 11:11 PM
He's implying your moans are going to interrupt his nut twisting play.

RadiantBeam
September 30th, 2012, 12:05 AM
He's implying your moans are going to interrupt his nut twisting play.

But they'd be moans of pleasure.

Raven2785
September 30th, 2012, 12:06 AM
But they'd be moans of pleasure.

But no HIS pleasure, that's the problem.

RadiantBeam
September 30th, 2012, 12:08 AM
But no HIS pleasure, that's the problem.

I care about his pleasure?

Spinach
September 30th, 2012, 12:12 AM

You should care about his pleasure about as much as you care about your green name!

Raven2785
September 30th, 2012, 12:17 AM

Ah, but you see, the moment you told them you want to see you stopped being a spectator, you became a willful participant.

So yes, you now need to care about the two of them as well.

Five_X
September 30th, 2012, 01:00 AM
This is the longest I've ever had people talk about my balls before.

Dark Pulse
September 30th, 2012, 09:30 AM
This is the longest I've ever had people talk about my balls before.You'll remember it on your deathbed. That's even funnier. Or sadder, depending on how you look at things.

Cruor
October 1st, 2012, 10:55 PM
I don't like this idea.

I3uster
October 1st, 2012, 11:01 PM
Nobody even cares anymore, Cruor. (See this is why you gotta push)

ItsaRandomUsername
September 7th, 2013, 12:21 AM
Reigniting this fire with a bump this because I really do think we could use a Like system (just Likes, a la SB's forums), especially for the sake of Fanfics to eventually cull the number of contentless posts because I'm and I'm sure many others who don't speak up are a little burnt out on traversing pages and pages of minimally productive conversation to read actual important-like content.

That is unless it costs money we don't have. Then fuuuuuuuck that shizzle.

No seriously, Darples. We will have revolution if this won't be instituted in a timely manner.

Sherrinford
September 7th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I was thinking about this for quite a long time. It would be better (for me) than keep posting "I like" and "Awesome" (and similar minimalistic signs of appreciation).

Kotonoha
September 7th, 2013, 08:44 AM
I don't want e-peen meters.

DezoPenguin
September 7th, 2013, 09:22 AM
*presses "Like" button for Koto's post*

forumghost
September 7th, 2013, 09:32 AM
Reigniting this fire with a bump this because I really do think we could use a Like system (just Likes, a la SB's forums), especially for the sake of Fanfics to eventually cull the number of contentless posts because I'm and I'm sure many others who don't speak up are a little burnt out on traversing pages and pages of minimally productive conversation to read actual important-like content.

Except that a 'like' function probably won't have much affect on the shit-posting at all. People will just end up doing both. And then other people will start liking each others shit-posts, which will encourage more shit-posts.

And then Anarchy and Chaos shall rein, the streets shall be dyed red with the blood of the innocent, and the stars themselves shall fall from the sky. All because someone wanted to build up their E-Peen.

But seriously, I doubt that this function would help deal with all the contentless posts around here.
A better solution would be if the Mod's cracked down a bit- though, if they did, we'd end up with people crying "Tyranny" from the rooftops. So, it's kinda a lose-lose situation.

I3uster
September 7th, 2013, 10:55 AM
I don't want e-peen meters.

Only measures e-peens of individual posts.

Hen_Ichi
September 7th, 2013, 11:32 AM
Huh. Didn't even see this thread was a thing.

I propose that the function be named "rub e-peen". Therefore DezoPenguin just rubbed Koto's e-peen.

Kelnish
September 7th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Only measures e-peens of individual posts.

We should have metrics to track who has the most upboated posts so we know that leo is better than buster with TWO measurements.

I3uster
September 7th, 2013, 01:43 PM
Nobody likes Leo anymore after he covered CV, I am the undisputed queen of this forum now.

SeiKeo
September 7th, 2013, 02:01 PM
It's lonely at the top :(

Kelnish
September 7th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Nobody likes Leo anymore after he covered CV, I am the undisputed queen of this forum now.

I like him more now that I know he can err. Before he was a deity now he is a man.

PLS LOVE ME LEO.

Dark Pulse
September 7th, 2013, 04:08 PM
Except that a 'like' function probably won't have much affect on the shit-posting at all. People will just end up doing both. And then other people will start liking each others shit-posts, which will encourage more shit-posts.

And then Anarchy and Chaos shall rein, the streets shall be dyed red with the blood of the innocent, and the stars themselves shall fall from the sky. All because someone wanted to build up their E-Peen.

But seriously, I doubt that this function would help deal with all the contentless posts around here.
A better solution would be if the Mod's cracked down a bit- though, if they did, we'd end up with people crying "Tyranny" from the rooftops. So, it's kinda a lose-lose situation.Basically this, though it'd be "tyranny uguuuu." Otherwise, this is more or less how I feel.

Cruor
September 7th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Liking is a disgusting feature on forums. It does nothing but stop discussion.

A "Thank you" or whatever function is better but it is still nothing more then an epeen meter.

If you want something to figure out which fanfics are good or not just have people start rating threads and it will catch on eventually.

Daiki
September 7th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I only want a hate button.

The higher you rise, the harder the fall.

Raven2785
September 7th, 2013, 06:54 PM
No to the "Like" button, I will not have my wasted time here become a parody of Niemoller's poem.

Seika
September 7th, 2013, 07:13 PM

I dispute you.

RadiantBeam
September 7th, 2013, 08:05 PM
Seika gets my vote for queen of the forum.

Raven2785
September 7th, 2013, 08:11 PM

What is your title then?

Kuroyuki
September 7th, 2013, 08:44 PM
I'm going to vote for Spinach because Spin needs an upgrade from Princess.

Raven2785
September 7th, 2013, 08:48 PM
I'm going to vote for Spinach because Spin needs an upgrade from Princess.

But we're saving Spinach for a convenient political marriage with either the Principality of DSOM, or the republike of Food's Forum, both of whom have had very strenuous relations with our Nation.

Kelnish
September 7th, 2013, 08:50 PM
This is a serious thread for serious topics. Circle jerk on AOL Instant Messenger or Google or Facebook instead pls.

Cruor
September 7th, 2013, 09:00 PM
But we're saving Spinach for a convenient political marriage with either the Principality of DSOM, or the republike of Food's Forum, both of whom have had very strenuous relations with our Nation.

But my Paradox games says you can't have a political marriage with a republic

Dark Pulse
September 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Obligatory "Thread will be split and locked" warning. Keep it to the discussion of Likes or not.

Cruor
September 7th, 2013, 09:05 PM
How do you rate threads again? I can't find the buttons.

Seika
September 7th, 2013, 09:38 PM

I dispute I3, not whatever role he claims.

Memories of a great hall begin to form in your mind... a vast place, full of well-dressed elites... a formal ball was taking place. Before you was a small, impeccably dressed fellow who wore a golden medallion; it was emblazoned with a symbol you dimly recall as the "Sign of One". The two of you stood in a circle of onlookers who'd gathered to listen to your debate.

"But... but that's impossible!" the man was saying, looking perplexed.

"Oh, but it is." You recall yourself replying. "I've made several inarguable points and given you a number of examples. You simply don't exist."

"But... you can't! Were I to accept that, I'd... I'd..."

"Yes. You'd cease to exist."

And without a flash of light or puff of smoke - with no fanfare of any sort - the man was simply gone.

The onlookers *oohed* and *aahed*, some clapped... you remember giving a flourishing bow and walking away, a small, satisfied smile upon your lips.

My on-topic contribution is about the 'BL has loads of contentless and/or off-topic posts' side of this. I think, at this stage, it's become very strongly ingrained into the forum culture that off-topicness is not inherently wrong, nor something to be seriously worried about. The mods and admins will jump in if it's been going on several hours or someone heartily complains or it's in a place they keep an eye on (like here), but between their relative paucity, a somewhat laissez-faire attitude, and the effect of our forum culture creating so many derails, reigning everyone in becomes a very inefficient way to spend your time. I'm pretty cool with the readiness to discuss things off-topic. It's not the general forum standard, and that's obviously frustrating to a number of people for whom this isn't the forum culture that they're used to, but I don't see it as deeply harmful to our health. I think this side is the larger part of the 'chaff' posts, and won't be affected by a like system being implemented or not.

Having put that aside, though, I am much more strongly irritated by the other side of the chaff posts: meme reactions, empty-quotes and so forth. A derail may not contribute to the topic directly, but it might at least be interesting and even worthwhile for people to read. Zero-content and low-effort posts are a rather worse problem in my eyes. A like system could cut down on these, but one suspects you will find that the people who thought empty-quoting a posts was an acceptable contribution in the first place, or who decided that posting a five-year-old meme picture would be funny, will still think that people deserve to see that rubbish and won't use the like button. What's actually necessary, with or without a like system, is that people are told anything that could be replaced by 'X likes this' shouldn't be posted and that 'X likes this' is a much broader sweep than you think, once you've taken a little time to reflect.

In short: off-topic = don't care and difficult to deal with anyway; low-effort posts are the real issue. Low-effort posts can be cut down to a degree by a like system, but that should be accompanied by a message which doesn't strictly require the like system at all - that crap posting is poor form and you just shouldn't do it.

Cruor
September 7th, 2013, 09:52 PM
Having put that aside, though, I am much more strongly irritated by the other side of the chaff posts: meme reactions, empty-quotes and so forth. A derail may not contribute to the topic directly, but it might at least be interesting and even worthwhile for people to read. Zero-content and low-effort posts are a rather worse problem in my eyes. A like system could cut down on these, but one suspects you will find that the people who thought empty-quoting a posts was an acceptable contribution in the first place, or who decided that posting a five-year-old meme picture would be funny, will still think that people deserve to see that rubbish and won't use the like button. What's actually necessary, with or without a like system, is that people are told anything that could be replaced by 'X likes this' shouldn't be posted and that 'X likes this' is a much broader sweep than you think, once you've taken a little time to reflect.
This reminds me when I made the powerlist thread as a joke and both food and terra were actually genuinely interested in it but then Spinach started trolling because it was somewhat a joke thread which caused it to get moved from GD into Seventh and then terra went and complained that it got moved and food went and made his own thread on his forum.

I'd like to point out Spin has managed to convince mods to move quite a few threads into Seventh that people were seriously discussing in >_>

I wonder how he does it <_<

He's pretty gud at it too.

Neir
September 7th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I am firmly against likes, for the reason that a lot of BL has shit taste.

Theocrass
September 7th, 2013, 11:00 PM
I don't think the like system would meaningfully impact our message board either way.

So, I see no harm to doing it or not doing it.

Kelnish
September 8th, 2013, 12:00 AM
My on-topic contribution is about the 'BL has loads of contentless and/or off-topic posts' side of this. I think, at this stage, it's become very strongly ingrained into the forum culture that off-topicness is not inherently wrong, nor something to be seriously worried about. The mods and admins will jump in if it's been going on several hours or someone heartily complains or it's in a place they keep an eye on (like here), but between their relative paucity, a somewhat laissez-faire attitude, and the effect of our forum culture creating so many derails, reigning everyone in becomes a very inefficient way to spend your time. I'm pretty cool with the readiness to discuss things off-topic. It's not the general forum standard, and that's obviously frustrating to a number of people for whom this isn't the forum culture that they're used to, but I don't see it as deeply harmful to our health. I think this side is the larger part of the 'chaff' posts, and won't be affected by a like system being implemented or not.

In short: off-topic = don't care and difficult to deal with anyway; low-effort posts are the real issue. Low-effort posts can be cut down to a degree by a like system, but that should be accompanied by a message which doesn't strictly require the like system at all - that crap posting is poor form and you just shouldn't do it.

Yeah but I like for people to know that I like things. Even though no one cares. I'm sorry that my way of life is so reprehensible.

Renko
September 8th, 2013, 07:23 AM
I was a member of another forum and the LIKE function on that one is quite nice and it shows that the members somehow "care" on what you post.So can wehave one here regardless? :D

Bloble
September 8th, 2013, 12:48 PM
No likes please. This isn't facebook or reddit (and thankfully not 4chan, though that's neither here nor there). If you like something the least you can do is make a post to say so yourself.

Daiki
September 8th, 2013, 12:58 PM
I want to rate your fics and rp posts positively Broble. Sure you don't want it?

I was a member of another forum and the LIKE function on that one is quite nice and it shows that the members somehow "care" on what you post.So can wehave one here regardless? :D

Sounds cool on the paper. But do you expect people full of sarcasm, bitterness and disgust for life/each other to behave on a porn forum?

@Darples Half kidding, but couldn't it be implemented in some sub-forums as a test? RP for example.

Bloble
September 8th, 2013, 04:36 PM
I'd like it yeah, but it would mean much, much more to me if you simply posted that you liked 'em. It's just that I appreciate a review about a hundred times more than I appreciate a 'like' that would take only a single click.

Dark Pulse
September 8th, 2013, 04:37 PM
@Darples Half kidding, but couldn't it be implemented in some sub-forums as a test? RP for example.Doubt that's how the mod would work. It'd probably be all or none.

Kelnish
September 8th, 2013, 06:41 PM
I'd like it yeah, but it would mean much, much more to me if you simply posted that you liked 'em. It's just that I appreciate a review about a hundred times more than I appreciate a 'like' that would take only a single click.

I don't want to write things. Writing is hard and taxes my small brain. Hitting like is just like my social medias. I NEED you to know I liked that thing without actually telling you why.

Ratman
September 8th, 2013, 07:01 PM
Why would anyone in their right mind possibly think that an implementation of the literal EP meter is a good idea?

Do you want to be Reddit, strawmanperson? Is that what you want?

ZidanReign
September 8th, 2013, 08:13 PM
Like feature.

really

i had enough of those kinds of features in another forum with rep meters, etc

Nihilm
September 8th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Might as well add a karma system as well so we can give +1 to our favourite forumite every hour

*sarcasm*

Kelnish
September 8th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Might as well add a karma system as well so we can give +1 to our favourite forumite every hour

*sarcasm*

This but for serious. It'll be just like the who would you like to live with poll just with more than only leo keeping me warm in the cold of unlovedness.

Aiden
September 9th, 2013, 02:06 AM
We could use a 'Thank' system.

It'd be like 'the following people Thanked this post' and it lists the names of everyone who clicked the Thank button.

It's basically the same thing, but you have to own up to it because your name is right there.

Five_X
September 9th, 2013, 02:52 AM
We could use a 'Thank' system.

It'd be like 'the following people Thanked this post' and it lists the names of everyone who clicked the Thank button.

It's basically the same thing, but you have to own up to it because your name is right there.

inb4 everyone goes back to Thank all of C_V's posts

Spinach
September 9th, 2013, 04:55 AM

You know me too well.

RadiantBeam
September 9th, 2013, 10:27 AM

And Mike's posts.

Artee
September 9th, 2013, 01:06 PM
I think a tag feature would be better. Then you'd know when someone was talking to you or about you :p

Dark Pulse
September 9th, 2013, 08:41 PM
I think a tag feature would be better. Then you'd know when someone was talking to you or about you :pThat shows how many people have noticed the tag feature under the quick reply.

Kelnish
September 9th, 2013, 08:47 PM
That shows how many people have noticed the tag feature under the quick reply.

Searching by tag works sooooo well. And tagging threads does fuck all for specific posts.

Dark Pulse
September 9th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Searching by tag works sooooo well. And tagging threads does fuck all for specific posts.As opposed to liking or thanking trollposts and flaming, right?

This is as close as you're going to get. Better start trying to convince other admins/mods, because I'm not for this and almost certainly never will be. You want to like stuff? Go to Facebook.

SeiKeo
September 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Well then let me like BL on Facebook Mr Smart Admin, how about that

Kelnish
September 9th, 2013, 08:52 PM
As opposed to liking or thanking trollposts and flaming, right?

This is as close as you're going to get. Better start trying to convince other admins/mods, because I'm not for this and almost certainly never will be. You want to like stuff? Go to Facebook.

Oh, I don't even want it. Like button is dumb.

Raven2785
September 9th, 2013, 09:30 PM
When they came with a Like button I said nothing.

When they came with Karma I said nothing.

When they came with Downvoting I said nothing.

How long until they come for you BL.

Ratman
September 9th, 2013, 10:27 PM
Look, it would also make me incredibly happy to be able to type out "sage" everytime I post anything on this forum, would make me feel so much more at home, but considering it would just annoy everyone else, them's the breaks.

Artee
September 10th, 2013, 12:49 AM
That shows how many people have noticed the tag feature under the quick reply.
Hey, I know it. But I meant, tagging like facebook does, which you may receive a notification.

Cruor
September 10th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Well then let me like BL on Facebook Mr Smart Admin, how about that

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oreno-Imouto/156982884351164

Like this to like dovac to like us.

bahamut zero
September 10th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Can't we just hold a voting and be done with this?

ZidanReign
September 10th, 2013, 09:44 AM
voting

pfft

bahamut zero
September 10th, 2013, 09:52 AM
"Like" if you want to vote.

ZidanReign
September 10th, 2013, 10:04 AM
don't make me spit my drink out comically

Nihilm
September 10th, 2013, 10:27 AM
"Like" if you want to vote.

That was unexpectedly witty

Hen_Ichi
September 10th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Hey, I know it. But I meant, tagging like facebook does, which you may receive a notification.

Yes, I've seen this one some other forums. If someone is mentioned by name, that person automatically gets a notification of that post. Topics and such also visible in profile.