PDA

View Full Version : To those who don't know better. DO NOT FUCKING DRINK LIQUID NITROGEN.

Hen_Ichi
October 8th, 2012, 03:06 PM
The levels of retardedness from all quarters involved in getting liquid nitrogen into a glass served to someone who doesn't know better should be goddamn criminal. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/19866191)

Neir
October 8th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Still hilarious.

Mike1984
October 8th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I doubt the girl in question thought that....

Honestly, it's just fucking dumb. Not on her part (she had every reason to assume the drink was safe), but on theirs.

Techlet
October 8th, 2012, 05:03 PM
I have no idea why she kept drinking if the first swallow literally burned the inside of her mouth and all the way down to her stomach.

Mike1984
October 8th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I have no idea why she kept drinking if the first swallow literally burned the inside of her mouth and all the way down to her stomach.

Given the sort of drink and night it was, I wouldn't be shocked if she downed it in one....

I3uster
October 8th, 2012, 05:05 PM
We need more educational threads like this.

I recommend "do not put your hand on a running stoveplate".

Bittersweet
October 8th, 2012, 05:07 PM
"Cook meat before eating."

Techlet
October 8th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Given the sort of drink and night it was, I wouldn't be shocked if she downed it in one....

True. I just assumed it came in one of those tall cocktail glasses.

Bittersweet
October 8th, 2012, 05:10 PM
Worth Pointing out: "Weird news thread"?

Mike1984
October 8th, 2012, 05:13 PM
True. I just assumed it came in one of those tall cocktail glasses.

I dunno, but even if it did, I think the damage was done on the first drink. The whole point of those drinks was that the liquid nitrogen should have evaporated before you drink it, but in her case it did not. I would imagine that that implies she drank it faster than expected.

Hen_Ichi
October 8th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Worth Pointing out: "Weird news thread"?
Felt potentially being served a dangerous substance leading to irreperable damage of internal organ required a bit beyond just wierd news -_-

They should have pictures of a professional handling liquid nitrogen. That is, labcoat or apron with face shield and insulated gloves.

Don't worry. It's perfectly safe. For us.

You have also just ruined a perfectly good tartare (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartare)

Techlet
October 8th, 2012, 05:35 PM
They should have pictures of a professional handling liquid nitrogen. That is, labcoat or apron with face shield and insulated gloves.

Don't worry. It's perfectly safe. For us.

In my work, I handle liquid nitrogen on a regular basis (tissue preservation from biopsies), and it's perfectly safe. Most of the time. Usually.

TypeWannabe
October 8th, 2012, 07:12 PM

...oh...yeah.

aldeayeah
October 8th, 2012, 07:17 PM

Precisely today I had steak tartare for lunch, with the raw egg and everything. It was delicious.

TypeWannabe
October 8th, 2012, 07:28 PM
"Do not sex chickens who clearly have AIDs"

Tobias
October 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM

sushi.

Neir
October 8th, 2012, 07:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8LDBNcsWc

Fingolfin
October 8th, 2012, 07:32 PM
Wait, how did the liquid nitrogen get in the cocktail again?

Twelveseal
October 8th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Seems like it's an ingredient they were using to make it more... special. In other words, it was a gimmick by the bar to try and sell something.

Mike1984
October 8th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Wait, how did the liquid nitrogen get in the cocktail again?

It was put in there by the barman, to make the cocktail look cool.

It's supposed to evaporate before the person drinks it, but in this case the girl apparently drank it before it had evaporated, and it froze her stomach.

I3uster
October 8th, 2012, 07:52 PM
It's like lighting a B52/Absinthe on fire.

Don't drink the fire. Don't melt your straw.

Mike1984
October 8th, 2012, 07:56 PM
It's like lighting a B52/Absinthe on fire.

Don't drink the fire. Don't melt your straw.

Yeah, but the difference is that the girl didn't realise it was still in the drink....

Fingolfin
October 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM
It was put in there by the barman, to make the cocktail look cool.

It's supposed to evaporate before the person drinks it, but in this case the girl apparently drank it before it had evaporated, and it froze her stomach.

I see.

That's incredibly stupid.

Mike1984
October 8th, 2012, 08:12 PM
I see.

That's incredibly stupid.

Yes, yes it is....

Tobias
October 8th, 2012, 08:14 PM
yay capitalism. where we make even drinking unintentionally, yet hilariously dangerous.

RadiantBeam
October 8th, 2012, 08:18 PM
I honestly weep for humanity sometimes. Weep.

Hymn of Ragnarok
October 8th, 2012, 08:21 PM
I.....goddamn it humanity.

I3uster
October 8th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Am I the only one who likes gimmick drinks?

Okay, the first time the taste of molten straw is kinda discouraging but hey, once you get quick enough it's pretty cool.

yay capitalism. where we make even drinking unintentionally, yet hilariously dangerous.
You don't need capitalism to make drinking dangerous, alcohol manages that on its own :V

Techlet
October 8th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Wouldn't the fire burn out the alcohol so you actually get less of what you paid for?

RadiantBeam
October 8th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Wouldn't the fire burn out the alcohol so you actually get less of what you paid for?

Less alcohol for more fire.

I3uster
October 8th, 2012, 08:36 PM
If you want to get plastered a B52 shouldn't be your first choice in the first place.

Tobias
October 8th, 2012, 08:37 PM
You don't need capitalism to make drinking dangerous, alcohol manages that on its own :V

yes but in a far more fun way!

Gabriulio
October 8th, 2012, 09:09 PM
*facepalm*

ZidanReign
October 8th, 2012, 09:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJUREA0cmQ&feature=related

Cruor
October 8th, 2012, 11:12 PM
I find the stories of Chem 101 kids who drink lab grade Ethnyl Alcohol as a joke and go blind funnier.

Apple
October 9th, 2012, 12:19 AM
I poker faced until I got to the part where it said she could eat normal food and lead a normal life, lol. While it's probably true in its intended meaning, it is kinda misleading. Makes it sound like there is no consequence to totally removing an internal organ.

I mean, the stomach acid kills bacteria and is the place where milk is curdled... plus it does so many things besides. She can 'eat normal food' and 'lead a normal life' sure, but she's probably going to have a rough as hell time doing it.

Vigilantia
October 9th, 2012, 12:26 AM
This... this is why we can't have nice things.

Hen_Ichi
October 9th, 2012, 06:31 AM
I honestly weep for humanity sometimes. Weep.Too busy staring at your...

avvy to weep.

Fingolfin
October 9th, 2012, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGJUREA0cmQ&feature=related

"Studies have shown that if you desensitize your captive wasps to your fingers and hands from an early stage, they will become used to you and not react in an aggressive manor. And, when workers come, the queen's body language around you will influence the workers' behavior too."

This guy sounds like he would seriously consider how he could rob a bank with wasps, whilst wearing a funny costume.

He's super-villain material. Wasp Man, will be his name.

aldeayeah
October 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM
I find the stories of Chem 101 kids who drink lab grade Ethnyl Alcohol as a joke and go blind funnier.

That would only happen if it was denatured with methanol, which is almost never the case in lab use AFAIK.

ZidanReign
October 9th, 2012, 07:08 PM
"Studies have shown that if you desensitize your captive wasps to your fingers and hands from an early stage, they will become used to you and not react in an aggressive manor. And, when workers come, the queen's body language around you will influence the workers' behavior too."

This guy sounds like he would seriously consider how he could rob a bank with wasps, whilst wearing a funny costume.

He's super-villain material. Wasp Man, will be his name.

OH NO THE COPYRIGHT POLICE ARE HERE

ERRYBODIES GETTING RAPED