PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Nanatsu-Yoru

I3uster
April 5th, 2011, 06:00 AM
Hi guys!
Is the Nanatsu-Yoru blade (visual novel version, not the anim...eh forget it) coming out of the side or the front?
And if it is coming out of the side is it a spring or does it need to get out manually?
I have found pictures of japanese folding knifes but they all have a manual folding system with some kind of latch:
http://www.staliausirankiai.lt/tvs/uploads/images/peiliai/higonokami/peilis_higonokami_4.jpg

Also do detailed pictures of it exist?
I want to build one myself (with a fake blade), but the descriptions in the VN don't really help me that much.

Bargadiel
April 5th, 2011, 08:46 AM
I tend to bend towards the design used in the manga. It comes out of the top, straight up. What you could probabaly do is make a chute from wood similar to the one used here, and either make a wooden cap for it (so it appears as a normal box) or just leave the hole in the top for the blade to come out. However as to how you will manage to get it to release is another story altogether.

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/shingetsutan_tsukihime/v01/c001/29.html

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/shingetsutan_tsukihime/v01/c001/30.html

I3uster
April 5th, 2011, 09:34 AM
He himself does not have a clue if it is a double or single action switchblade?

Oh god...

food
April 6th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Why does a freaking switch blade have "Sword Saint - Miyamoto Musashi" on its box?

That's like having a dollar-store alarm clock with "Rolex" branded on its box.

Chaos Greyblood
April 6th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Apparently, the one who showcased the knife wanted to get too cute with the historical joke.

Tobias
April 6th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Why does a freaking switch blade have "Sword Saint - Miyamoto Musashi" on its box?

yeah but, that would be pretty cool though.

I3uster
April 6th, 2011, 03:50 PM

Because google image search.

Also I want one of those knives, they look so amazing.
And compared to a katana practical and cheap.

Tangerang
April 6th, 2011, 09:19 PM
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy283/tangmt2000/N-Y.jpg

Counterguardian
April 7th, 2011, 03:04 AM
One thing that always nagged at me. Nanatsu-Yoru (in the manga at least) was a pop out blade design, which would indicate that it structurally couldn't take much stabbing pressure before retracting and is thus used mostly as a slashing implement.

It seems like a stroke of good luck that Shiki's Death Perception means that the dots and lines don't give his attacks any resistance.

MZeroX
April 7th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Wasn't it supposed to just be a fruit knife in the first place (regardless of VN, Manga, or that thing that doesn't exist)? You don't need a strong structure for that.

Bargadiel
April 7th, 2011, 07:50 AM
One thing that always nagged at me. Nanatsu-Yoru (in the manga at least) was a pop out blade design, which would indicate that it structurally couldn't take much stabbing pressure before retracting and is thus used mostly as a slashing implement.

It seems like a stroke of good luck that Shiki's Death Perception means that the dots and lines don't give his attacks any resistance.

You obviously forget that it is the world of animu, therefore issues like this are IMMPOSSIBRU! :P

I3uster
April 7th, 2011, 08:06 AM

But a normal switchblade has a lock mechanism that doesn't break easily, at least when you are not trying to stab concrete to death.

TypeWannabe
April 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
IIRC (and I think this time I do) Shiki feels no resistance when cutting lines and stabbing dots.

Cruor
April 7th, 2011, 02:29 PM
^this. He says he feels no resistence when he was cutting a bed and a tree in half five minutes into the game. He also says it a few other times.

Ryougi feels resistance though apparently according to Touko. Doesn't she also break her nail cutting a flower too?

eddyak
April 7th, 2011, 02:39 PM
She broke her finger cutting the corpse, dunno about the flower.

Counterguardian
April 8th, 2011, 02:18 AM
I don't think you can break a nail on a flower, no matter how hard you try.

The idea just seems plain stupid.

Tangerang
April 8th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I think it's a mental thing again, with the resistance and what not. Ryougi expects there to be lines when she cuts the lines, so there is. Tohno doesn't, so there aren't. Like 'I see this thing as 'alive', so it has lines. I see this thing as 'dead', so it has no lines'

HitokiriNanaya
April 9th, 2011, 02:07 AM
to bad you need to be in the military to be able to "legally" buy a Out the front knife.

I want one =3=

Bargadiel
April 9th, 2011, 02:21 AM
I love how this hopped into a lines discussion, but either way I didn't know Ryougi broke her finger when fighting that corpse? Pretty neat, that was probably described in the novels then.

An alternative is either making one without telling anyone (lol), or making one that's not really a knife, but a dull piece of steel with a point.

GARcher
April 9th, 2011, 02:35 AM
It seemed to be a simple knife that draws out when used. Not much special, but lethal when used right.

I don't understand exactly Shiki's powers when using his knife. He might not feel resistance when cutting through things, but even then it's a formidable power.

eddyak
April 9th, 2011, 07:39 AM
I didn't know Ryougi broke her finger when fighting that corpse? Pretty neat, that was probably described in the novels then.
It was in the movie too- watch her finger closely.

Counterguardian
April 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
http://i947.photobucket.com/albums/ad315/Counterguardian/General/vlcsnap-2011-04-09-21h33m59s153.png

Note the index finger's awkward angle.

I3uster
April 9th, 2011, 08:14 AM
to bad you need to be in the military to be able to "legally" buy a Out the front knife.

I want one =3=

In Austria you can legally carry around an OTF, Balisong and other Knifes as long as they are "not used as a weapon".
But if you needed to you could use them in self defense, just don't use em on someone unarmed.