PDA

View Full Version : Persona 4 The Animation

Pages : [1] 2 3

Gundam Meister
April 11th, 2011, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT-GpYBUZQc&feature=player_embedded

I think this deserves is own thread for discussions so what are everyone expectations i myself have high expectation for it

Neir
April 11th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Fucking sweet. NAOTO ROUTE, GOGOGO!

TekkZero
April 11th, 2011, 06:26 PM
Already better than the last Persona Anime.

Ruca_Milda
April 11th, 2011, 06:28 PM
I liked both P3 and P4 equally, both have good and bad points. (then again, P4 has that terrible, terrible fake final boss...*rage*)

But, IMO, they should have gone down the P3 route(even though I'm rather happy with the P4 one and prefer it to the P3 one, since we have been getting enough P3 as-is), since at least some part of the character development is done through SL's, and I don't think they're gonna do SL scenes, while P3's SL's just added on to the already-made character development.

Eh, just me, though.

Oh and:

Fucking sweet. NAOTO ROUTE, GOGOGO!

THIS.

Grant
April 11th, 2011, 06:29 PM
On the one hand Aniplex was involved in Fullmetal Alchemist*, on the other hand they were involved in Trinity Soul. Hmmmm.

*One of the few examples IMO where an anime was ended nicely even though it wasn't following the manga.

Jase
April 11th, 2011, 07:12 PM
FULL VERSION PURSUING MY TRUE SELF PLEASE

that is ALL I need. The anime can be a terrible piece of garbage for all I care, but they absolutely MUST make a longer version of Pursuing My True Self ;A;

GlanGR
April 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I really want to make a whole bunch of "Yu" puns to go along with the bear puns now.

Tobias
April 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
MY BODY IS READY

ItsaRandomUsername
April 11th, 2011, 07:26 PM
F*CKING YES~!

I really want to make a whole bunch of "Yu" puns to go along with the bear puns now.

Aww, someone's thinking of Theo.

Erlkonig
April 11th, 2011, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Grant
April 11th, 2011, 07:36 PM

The bear was bad enough.
Wait. I just realized that if this is an animated version we probably won't have to hear that stupid bear's unnecessary comments over and over! This is already looking up.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5611647634_c3743e5271.jpg

mangafreak7793
April 11th, 2011, 09:02 PM
Finally ! it's here!

and Yes me want some Naoto route. and if they go for Rise, I'll drop it right away!

Gilgamesh
April 11th, 2011, 09:09 PM
It's either going to be Yukiko or no romance. I'd also be getting ready to see YosukexChie and KanjixNaoto in the anime if I were all of you. :p

mangafreak7793
April 11th, 2011, 09:25 PM
^ I hope not, but seeing the drama cds and such. yeah you might be right :(

Tobias
April 11th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Finally ! it's here!

and Yes me want some Naoto route. and if they go for Rise, I'll drop it right away!

Trap is my favorite heroine. That said, you can go to hell sir.

Ruca_Milda
April 11th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I'll be fine with any of the girls, really.

....Except maybe Chie, but I guess it's because I always thought she was more bro than anything.

mangafreak7793
April 11th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Trap is my favorite heroine. That said, you can go to hell sir.

Agreed, My brother in arms!

Grant
April 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
It's either going to be Yukiko or no romance. I'd also be getting ready to see YosukexChie and KanjixNaoto in the anime if I were all of you. :p

Bleh. I HATE pairing spares (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PairTheSpares). Admittedly there are some signs that Kanji's interested in Naoto but if they decide that everyone needs to have a romantic interest at the end I will be angry.
I'm also worried they'll make it a 13-ep series with entire plots thrown out and details greatly simplified. Something like this needs 26-ep minimum.

mangafreak7793
April 11th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Sort of agreed, I'm afraid it will turn into a fail but here's hoping !

Jase
April 11th, 2011, 09:42 PM
VN adaptation metric: get rid of all the character development dialogue scenes.

ALL PLOT ALL ACTION ALL THE TIME

Uh oh.

Tobias
April 11th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Agreed, My brother in arms!

This response puzzles me.

mangafreak7793
April 11th, 2011, 09:45 PM
^ How so.

I was thinking of doing a brofist but I thought that will be a bit much?

Tobias
April 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
You do realize telling someone to go to hell is not usually a whole hearted agreement...?

mangafreak7793
April 11th, 2011, 09:49 PM
I didn't mean that...

Jase
April 11th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I'd Chie, to be honest.

EDIT: and I'd think it'd be funny if they trolled everyone and shipped him with Ayane/trombone loli.

Tobias
April 11th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Protag/nanako.

Grant
April 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM
I like Ayane. She's my current romantic interest this time around*.

Of course Nanako's got to be the cutest of them all.

*I don't do cheating in this one simply 'cause it's too easy. I friend-zone every girl except the one I want to pair the MC with. (Sigh) If only Sayoko and Eri were romantic options...

Jase
April 11th, 2011, 10:16 PM
Ayane's a good kid, but even for me, it was just too awkward to try and date her.

Even if she's the same age as Naoto and Rise. Apparently.

Gundam Meister
April 11th, 2011, 10:32 PM
It seem a second countdown appeared on Mayonaka TV http://www.mayonaka-tv.jp/

mangafreak7793
April 11th, 2011, 10:41 PM
Probably a new add will appear.

Grant
April 11th, 2011, 10:42 PM
So something happens in a little over 2 weeks?

mangafreak7793
April 11th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Maybe who knows?

04satsujinki40
April 11th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Rise always in a bikini or lingerie. yeah

Gilgamesh
April 12th, 2011, 12:49 AM
So something happens in a little over 2 weeks?

Hm? That's days. Something will happen in less than 2 days.

And I posted what was obviously their schedule for these things before the first countdown ended, but it seems they took that page down when they realized people found it. This is probably going to happen a lot throughout April. There was a moment there where a new update was happening every day. I remember that last update was May 14th, though.

Pata Hikari
April 12th, 2011, 04:42 AM
Re: Pairings

Every Social Link has a platonic and romantic option. Odds are they'll go for the platonic options.

Jase
April 12th, 2011, 04:46 AM
Well, duh.

People are just wondering if they'll do the romantic option on one of the girls, in which case, which girl?

I just had a good idea though. Narukami should 8 time, just like you would in the game. That'd be great entertainment w

Tobias
April 12th, 2011, 09:43 AM
he doesn't do any of the girls, and it turns into a love comedy.

and then the thing protag feared most was someone randomly showing up to wash his back

KENTA
April 12th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Turns out it was Kanji.

Grant
April 12th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Re: Pairings

Every Social Link has a platonic and romantic option. Odds are they'll go for the platonic options.

They probably can't do every single Soc. Link (or even half of them). This plus the complexity of the plot is what makes me uneasy.

Gilgamesh
April 13th, 2011, 03:31 AM
They'll likely not adapt most of the social links. They will probably do just the party members Social Links and probably the Sports and Culture club ones for supporting cast. I'm fine with this, since an anime needs to be paced differently, and I don't really need to see Narukami hanging out with an old lady animated for 4 episodes.

Jase
April 13th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Fanservice filler: Devil SL

mangafreak7793
April 13th, 2011, 07:11 AM
Is Narukami? the name of the main character in the anime, I thought his name was Souji Seta ?

Grant
April 13th, 2011, 07:18 AM
For this it's Yu Narukami. Souji Seta's the name in the manga.

Rowanism
April 13th, 2011, 10:01 AM
I wouldn't mind being called Thunder God.

Also YEAH 1 HOUR UNTIL NEXT AD

And yeah, awaiting hiimdaisy references all the time. Yip Yip Yap!

Certis Baliano
April 13th, 2011, 11:37 AM
And yeah, awaiting hiimdaisy references all the time. Yip Yip Yap!

I wonder how Narukami will take his coffee.

Tobias
April 13th, 2011, 11:40 AM
*himdaisy flashbacks*

terraablaze
April 13th, 2011, 01:30 PM
oh hiimdaisy
I would not mind it if I could find the comics she(he?) is currently working on but I can't find links on her deviant art page or tumblr.

Tobias
April 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/

took 10 seconds on google, dont say I never gave you anything

mangafreak7793
April 13th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I wonder if his interest will pick up once the anime will come out?

Lotus Saint
April 13th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Who knows.
He just might.

mangafreak7793
April 13th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I hope so.

Gilgamesh
April 13th, 2011, 01:52 PM
hiimdaisy is a girl. Hence her name. hi im daisy. ;)

And, yeah... about that second countdown... what was it leading to, exactly? Everything looks the same...

mangafreak7793
April 13th, 2011, 01:59 PM
a commercial?

Lotus Saint
April 13th, 2011, 02:05 PM
A countdown for Mike meeting his shadow.(/jk)

terraablaze
April 13th, 2011, 02:24 PM
http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/

took 10 seconds on google, dont say I never gave you anything

wat
I blame Google for being finicky...10 seconds and I am still getting Persona 4 stuff.
Thanks rapebird, I would never say that, you have given me many laughs.

A countdown for Mike meeting his shadow.(/jk)
No you are not, it would be awesome, like all shadow meetings are.
I think I still have Kanji's and Teddy's memorized.

"What does it mean to be, manly?"

I would not mind quoting those in place of the opening to Symphony of the Night that no one played in its original context

Tobias
April 13th, 2011, 02:51 PM
rank C googler. comes in handy

(I miss my thread)

Gilgamesh
April 13th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I think I still have Kanji's and Teddy's memorized.

"What does it mean to be, manly?"

I would not mind quoting those in place of the opening to Symphony of the Night that no one played in its original context

I have pretty much all the Shadow encounters memorized.

Naoto's and Kanji's are my favorite.

terraablaze
April 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM

I only saw Naoto's once though it was amazing, what was with that part where she explains what is going on, basically accepting it as her self, but then it attacks you anyway?

KENTA
April 13th, 2011, 05:27 PM
IIRC Kanji just says "You know what? Fuck it, let's just kill this thing," while Naoto is all "Nuh uh ur not me!"

Grant
April 13th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Just once I wish they would have let you put a hand over someone's mouth and say 'deal with your issues or we're dead'.

Gilgamesh
April 13th, 2011, 07:16 PM
I only saw Naoto's once though it was amazing, what was with that part where she explains what is going on, basically accepting it as her self, but then it attacks you anyway?

That's not how it happened at all. Naoto wasn't accepting it, she was just acting strong. She was all "Stop it, I'll find my own way of living", which was missing the point of her Shadow. She wasn't accepting it at all. She was, if I may, JUST A LONELY CHILD!

IIRC Kanji just says "You know what? Fuck it, let's just kill this thing," while Naoto is all "Nuh uh ur not me!"

Pretty much. The gang was (as usual) trying to stop her from denying it, and Kanji was like "Just let her spill the whole thing. She'll just keep on hurting if she doesn't get it out. We'll do out job and kick the Shadow's ass as usual." and then Shadow naoto was like "Oh, you'll kick my ass, huh? Fine, bring it." and then fighting happened.

Neir
April 13th, 2011, 11:10 PM

Literally the gayest boss ever. EVER. Excluding those Chou Aniki things.

Oh, Kanji. If only you were actually of some goddamn USE in battle.

Gilgamesh
April 13th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Literally the gayest boss ever. EVER. Excluding those Chou Aniki things.

Oh, Kanji. If only you were actually of some goddamn USE in battle.

He's as useful in battle as anyone else. It all depends on what your playstyle/strategy tactics are. Every combination of characters creates a brand new tactic. I went through my entire first playthrough with a party of MC-Yukiko-Kanji-[Switched up often, usually Teddie or Naoto depending on fight]. In my second playthrough it was MC-Yosuke-Yukiko-Teddie all the way through. You can do it any way you want, really. I know a lot of people who can't imagine playing without Chie in their team, but she's always the first to go for me.

People who spout out "tiers" for everything don't know what they are talking about most of the time.

Neir
April 13th, 2011, 11:46 PM
I initially tried using Kanji. I tried to like him, I did. But he never became useful. Eventually, Chie surpassed him as my bruiser, and her followup is a guaranteed OHKO. Also, I tended to use Naoto and two more magical characters (Teddie/Yukiko/Yosuke) because, well... Naoto.

Jase
April 13th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Naoto is bottom tier because she's totally useless in boss battles.

Yousuke is always useful. And thus, top tier.

Those are the only tiers that really matter. I think Kanji's a bit underwhelming, but that's because he's designed like a tank, whereas most of Persona you basically want to blitz everything ASAP. But he has his niche. He's also a bit underwhelming in boss battles, because his main damage dealing source is physical, but his physical isn't that great unless you can knock down the opponent, which never happens with bosses, so Yousuke and Chie are just strictly better for boss battles.

Neir
April 14th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Yes. Despite my great love for Naoto, she was never really good. Amagidyne is always handy to have around though, and at the end, I found Teddie to be more effective than Yosuke.

And tiers can eat a dick.

Jase
April 14th, 2011, 01:21 AM
Yousuke has Brave Blade.

He has Garudyne.

Do you have Garudyne? Maybe.

Does any other party member have Garudyne? No.

His physical is good.

His magic is good.

He can get Wind Boost.

He can get Wind Amp.

He can heal any one person to full.

He's pretty tough.

His mana pool is big enough to keep going.

He has buffs.

He can get rid of enemy buffs.

He even has a god damn status effect.

He has no weakness.

Teddie has a weakness.

Teddie has no physical damage source.

Do you have Bufudyne? Probably.

Does any other party member have Bufudyne?

No, but she has enough to knock something over.

In exchange, he gets better healing.

Cascade
April 14th, 2011, 01:31 AM
I'm pretty sure the reason I beat the game was yousuke early on. i mean, it wasn't a hard game, but I definitely did buy way more gear than I needed to.

That's because I fought every battle by using his confuse and farming money off the enemies until I was rich.

Gilgamesh
April 14th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Naoto is bottom tier because she's totally useless in boss battles.

Yousuke is always useful. And thus, top tier.

Those are the only tiers that really matter. I think Kanji's a bit underwhelming, but that's because he's designed like a tank, whereas most of Persona you basically want to blitz everything ASAP. But he has his niche. He's also a bit underwhelming in boss battles, because his main damage dealing source is physical, but his physical isn't that great unless you can knock down the opponent, which never happens with bosses, so Yousuke and Chie are just strictly better for boss battles.

Ugh. I really hate it when people try to force everything into tiers. That's not the way RPGs work.

Each character was made uniquely different to compliment different playing styles. If a character's skill sets does not match your playing style then that doesn't make them a bad character or a "lower tier". Naoto was petty freaking handy in many situations. Her death skills will pretty much wipe out most of the end-game mobs of enemies, and a Mind-Charged Almighty attack is just as powerful against a boss as the other party members you can have. Not to mention her physical attacks aren't bad either.

But for some reason some people just have a hard time realizing that not everyone plays the same way they do. I've talked to people who never ever use any buffs or debuffs, whereas I am using them more often than attacks when I play, it seems like. I've talked to people who can't see how Aigis is useful in P3, yet I wouldn't dream of playing without her.

And, finally, as a final point, these games aren't really that hard. If you like a character and want to have them in your party, even if they DON'T match your playstyle and team set-up, it's not like it's going to really hurt you in any way.

GlanGR
April 14th, 2011, 02:14 AM
I went through the game the first time using only Yosuke-Yukiko-Kanji, because, well, Chie just didn't seem too appealing for me when she stopped getting Bufu spells, Teddie was a plot-link and I didn't like that. I took one look at Naoto that time and went "no way".

Second run, Naoto killed everything while Teddie helped out quite a bit. The game really depends on how you want to play it.

MZeroX
April 14th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Just in general statement, Tiers don't state possibility. It's always possible with player skill to "beat" a game, tier listing is more to state how easy it is beat the game once you've mastered that character, assuming a similar mastery level for all characters. Low Tier doesn't mean "this character is impossible to use", it means "you have to work much harder to win".

But whatever, to each their own.

Jase
April 14th, 2011, 02:36 AM
Mind charged Megidoloan blows chunks. I'm sorry.

And this is coming from a Naoto fanboy who did everything in his power to make Naoto usable, from maxing her SL ASAP, giving her the best items possible, giving her the gift from Nanako, the works.

And you know what? Her physicals are expensive. They will miss half the time.

Her death attacks are expensive. Half of the enemies will be immune, half of the rest will avoid it arbitrarily.

Mind charged megidoloan does less damage to bosses than two Garudynes in a row from Yosuke. Bosses never have resistances, so almighty property was pointless.

Naoto's dead weight that has to be constantly propped up, and will generally be less effective than any other party member at helping you win a battle. There's the brief section of the game where things weak against dark or light crop up a bit, but that part disappears long before the end game. At which point, she's just not worth the resource investment, the faster SP exhaustion, bad everything.

I still used her anyways, but that was out of love, not expediency.

Yousuke? Any strategy you use, he will be useful.

Any sort of battle you're in, he will be useful.

Regardless of the enemy, he will be useful.

He's literally a second MC, in diet form.

And with an MC who can simultaneously fulfill every niche that exists, the only thing you need is more of the same, not a niche filler.

terraablaze
April 14th, 2011, 08:07 AM
I liked how Kanji never died like a fish out of water during boss fights. Am I the only one who found that useful? I just thought it was really nice of the guy to stick with me when the other two losers gave up, really comforting and all. If this was not a Persona game I would mention he tended to survive even after I died.

Also obviously the most useful character is Yukiko; best healer and attack magic in the game. My only complaint is that she is too useful, because she can only do one at a time.

Dullahan
April 14th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Yousuke is freaking awesome. There's a reason we call him Brosuke. (Incidentally, how many people have started a second playthrough 3 days ago, progressing one in-game day every RL day so you can keep reality in synch with the in-game calendar? Or was that just me?)

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Naoto's use was in level grinding, put her in the party and its rate of experience literally triples. Those death attacks of hers once you have her leveled up to get the improved version will wipe the field out in 1 turn. Like a good 75% of the time everything dies, if one monster makes a lucky resist kill it with the MC.

And I can swap oit some chars, but I flat out refuse to build a party without amagi-dyne.

Certis Baliano
April 14th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Once I got Yoshitsune's Hassou Tobi, I felt like the other party members didn't even matter.

That skill destroyed pretty much everything.

Anyway, I used Yosuke, Naoto and Yukiko just because I liked those characters the most.

Neir
April 14th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I relied hard on Yosuke mid-late game. His versatility was a huge help. But in the end, he just didn't hit hard enough for the bosses. Chie got awesome once she learned... Uh, God's Wrath, or whatever it was called. I used Teddie because he had Ice Amp and the accessory for more ice damage.

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I never changed anyone out really, so I had two strategies, bring naoto along, which meant I was trying to powerlevel the team with her completely broken death attacks and because of that it didnt matter if she was just a potion bitch in boss fights, or direct damage teams usually with teddy, amagidyne and yosuke.

Verg Avesta
April 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff200/Zantsuki/steakout.png

KENTA
April 14th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I didn't really like Chie, but I'll be damned if my second playthrough didn't have her. I entitled that one "Opening bros". Chie/Yukiko/Yosuke

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I used her in one playthrough myself, but spot patching her health or not being allowed to use her better attacks for fear of putting her into boss oneshot range got annoying.

Verg Avesta
April 14th, 2011, 12:36 PM
It's good that you don't really like Chie.

After all, that means MORE CHIE FOR ME

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
OBJECTION! not liking someone as a romance option is not the same thing as not liking, else, non lolicons would hate nanako!

KENTA
April 14th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Her romance option seemed so weird to me.....it was like fucking Yosuke.

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 12:40 PM
to be fair though, yosuke probably would have been up for that.

Verg Avesta
April 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM

I thought it was great Browoman romance ;_; Go away you Tsunohara you.

KENTA
April 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM
And that's fine Abe, I was just saying I couldn't do it.

Though ironically I would be all over the one who passed for a male....

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 12:43 PM
And that's fine Abe, I was just saying I couldn't do it.

Though ironically I would be all over the one who passed for a male....

EVERYONE WOULD.

It's like the games greatest prank. everyone thinks kanji bats for the home team.

kanji's thing with naoto is a primary reason.

everyone loves naoto.

girls aside, whats that say about us?

Verg Avesta
April 14th, 2011, 12:44 PM
And that's because you're weak. To both points.

Tobias
dont you badmouth trap verg!

KENTA
Kanji does bat for the home team though.

Because Yosuke said so.

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Kanji does bat for the home team though.

Because Yosuke said so.

projection at its finest.

KENTA
April 14th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Dude, what if it's contagious?!

Verg Avesta
April 14th, 2011, 12:56 PM
dont you badmouth trap verg!

Surprisingly enough, I never really got that much into Naoto. Maybe I liked the one who was more "manly" naturally?

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 12:59 PM
You just liked chie because she could have stepped right out of fight-on.

KENTA
April 14th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I'm not surprised Abe didn't get in to Naoto.....but I think we can all agree Nanako is awesome.

I hope we can all agree.

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Everybody loved nanako. If the anime doesn't give her her due I reserve the right to go full retard.

KENTA
April 14th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I'm gonna be the bigger man and not mention how it happened quite some time ago.

Erlkonig
April 14th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Nanako was a fucking bro.

You'll never hear her sing the Junes team for the first time again ;_;

Sadfrog.jpg.mp3.mp4.avi.txt

Verg Avesta
April 14th, 2011, 01:07 PM
You just liked chie because she could have stepped right out of fight-on.

My preferred type is bro-women. You didn't know that?

Also, Nanako is the best imouto anyone could hope for.

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 01:08 PM
My preferred type is bro-women. You didn't know that?

Also, Nanako is the best imouto anyone could hope for.

I make fun of you for it all the time.

KENTA
April 14th, 2011, 01:10 PM
If the world was filled with drunk mikos who are looking for a fight, Abe would be in heaven.

And I would be a punching bag.

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 01:12 PM
What a strange world.

I could be down for that though.

KENTA
April 14th, 2011, 01:13 PM
(insert joke about being "down" here)

Verg Avesta
April 14th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I make fun of you for it all the time.

I have admitted to being Hard M, right? What could I possibly be ashamed of about that?

Tobias
April 14th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Iunno, when did I ever need things to make sense before I do them?

Gilgamesh
April 14th, 2011, 04:38 PM

to be fair though, yosuke probably would have been up for that.

Best romance option that never was.

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

http://i.imgur.com/yK435.jpg

terraablaze
April 14th, 2011, 05:31 PM

Wait, back up.

Are you saying I can romance Nanako? Now I wish I had my PS2 with me, or at least my memory card.

Also apparently Kanji was more explicitly homosexual in the Japanese version. The Atlus localization team told Troy Baker "Yeah he is gay." So unless some person who played the Japanese version wants to correct me I guess that is that.

Jase
April 14th, 2011, 07:18 PM
My favourite P4 H-doujin is a Chie one.

Fuck you guys.

Exfm
April 14th, 2011, 07:39 PM
^
Now put that EN Bro-Chie voice on top of that H-doujin *shrug*

Cascade
April 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Even if he wasn't gay, the main issue was his discomfort with his personal image and its misalignment with who he really was. Though approaching it from that angle and making it ambiguous seems like pussying out to me. It's a real issue for a lot of kids his age, and I think they could have related to him.

Anyway, Chie was the cutest to me until the English version of the game was released and then it went from delicious uguu to generic, somewhat bitchy HS student. And even with that I totally couldn't decide who to date because all the girls were great except Ayane. (Looked like she was Nanako's age.)

So I just defaulted to Rise because she asked first. I didn't feel like doing the 8 time thing because it was before I realized there were no repercussions.

Exfm
April 14th, 2011, 08:19 PM
^
EN Chie voice is the reason this one refuse to play that game in English till this date >____>;

Grant
April 14th, 2011, 08:53 PM
She's not great but she's definitely not Teddie level bad.

Jase
April 14th, 2011, 10:25 PM
She's not great but she's definitely not Teddie Fuuka level bad.
But yeah, I play undub, so I just here uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu BOKU AYU etc.

Neir
April 14th, 2011, 10:28 PM
Wait. Wait. Is that a CHOICE? Or do you have an import?

Jase
April 14th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Legit version of game + patch + blank DVD + PS2 that plays illegitimate games = Japanese audio P4 with English text.

I mean, technically, with how the internet is set up, two of those things are not strictly necessary, but that's how I went about it.

Neir
April 14th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Oh. Sounds like a huge pain in the ass. Maybe I'll listen to the drama CDs again some time.

Gilgamesh
April 15th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I think a lot of people misunderstood what Troy Baker meant by the "yeah, he's gay" thing. They were talking about SHADOW Kanji and how he should PREFORM him. Shadow Kanji is obviously the stereotypical gay male, so that's what Atlus wanted Troy Baker's performance for Shadow Kanji to be. They weren't talking about the actual character of regular Kanji.

In the game Kanji explains his Shadow right after you defeat it. "It wasn't about guys or girls, I was just scared shitless of being rejected". Now, Kanji goes on to say several times after that that he doesn't actually like guys, but it's up in the air as to how serious you can take that. I think the best way to look at it is that he's bisexual. His Shadow took on the form of sexuality because Kanji was confused at the time. Everyone rejected him and mocked him for not being "manly", girls laughed at him, and he had a crush on someone he thought was a dude. So, yeah, his Shadow was like "maybe you just gay, dawg?". But you have to look a bit deeper than that. None of the Shadows are completely 1-dimensional. Sexuality WAS an issue, but there was a lot more to it than that.

MasterSeth
April 15th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Teh english voices sux
http://kokuun.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/left-me-in-despair.gif?w=468&h=263

Aaaaanyway... So, what was the deal with the new teaser? I saw Shadow Yukiko, but other then that it made little to no sense to me

Verg Avesta
April 15th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Strange.

To be honest, I didn't find Chie's EN voice all that bad.

KENTA
April 15th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I don't think it is either, but then again, the only ear grating Persona voice I can think of is Fuuka.

MasterSeth
April 15th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I liked mostly all the voices, then again I for the most part support all dubs I see, so I'm a little lenient when it comes to VAs

terraablaze
April 15th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I think a lot of people misunderstood what Troy Baker meant by the "yeah, he's gay" thing. They were talking about SHADOW Kanji and how he should PREFORM him. Shadow Kanji is obviously the stereotypical gay male, so that's what Atlus wanted Troy Baker's performance for Shadow Kanji to be. They weren't talking about the actual character of regular Kanji.

In the game Kanji explains his Shadow right after you defeat it. "It wasn't about guys or girls, I was just scared shitless of being rejected". Now, Kanji goes on to say several times after that that he doesn't actually like guys, but it's up in the air as to how serious you can take that. I think the best way to look at it is that he's bisexual. His Shadow took on the form of sexuality because Kanji was confused at the time. Everyone rejected him and mocked him for not being "manly", girls laughed at him, and he had a crush on someone he thought was a dude. So, yeah, his Shadow was like "maybe you just gay, dawg?". But you have to look a bit deeper than that. None of the Shadows are completely 1-dimensional. Sexuality WAS an issue, but there was a lot more to it than that.

Wait what, you mean Extra Credits took that quote out of context? I am disappoint self proclaimed high concept thinky show.

I personally like the ambiguous sexuality Kanji (I always got the impression from his reactions to Yukiko that he had to like girls some of the time), I suppose if you think about it one way (the way a lot of people do) it can be seen as offensive, but I preferred it because it brought across the point that his sexuality does not matter, he just wants you to accept him the way he is regardless of what that may be.
The whole his shadow is gay therefore he is gay would seem to contradict the point of Rise's shadow and the revelation she had after the fight.
Regardless Kanji is a cool character, I think you are "manly" Kanji paint that painting! Also he makes me laugh.

Strange.

To be honest, I didn't find Chie's EN voice all that bad.

I don't think it is either, but then again, the only ear grating Persona voice I can think of is Fuuka.

Basically what these guys said.

squall06
April 15th, 2011, 05:33 PM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1563/13026329091111.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/i/13026329091111.jpg/)

^ This animated and i can die happily

KENTA
April 15th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I would kill for that.

Gilgamesh
April 15th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Aaaaanyway... So, what was the deal with the new teaser? I saw Shadow Yukiko, but other then that it made little to no sense to me

That was all there was to it. The website is "Mayonaka TV" (known in American release as "Midnight Channel"), and at midnight it updated with a static-y video of Shadow Yukiko. Just like the actual Mayonaka TV in Persona 4 did.

MasterSeth
April 15th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Yeah, that's what I kinda guessed after two or three more watches. Maybe tomorrow it will be a bit clearer, and then the next day will get the Shadow Yukiko scene from the game

Inugami
April 16th, 2011, 01:07 AM
This is going to be a bit behind, since I'm late to the conversation, but I hope it won't be too bad:

Ugh. I really hate it when people try to force everything into tiers. That's not the way RPGs work.

Each character was made uniquely different to compliment different playing styles. If a character's skill sets does not match your playing style then that doesn't make them a bad character or a "lower tier". Naoto was petty freaking handy in many situations. Her death skills will pretty much wipe out most of the end-game mobs of enemies
The problem is that using Naoto to wipe out mob enemies means that one of your Boss Fight characters isn't getting all of that XP. (And no, she's really not going to be as effective against a Boss as other characters, because her big, slow and expensive attacks can miss.)

Kanji is the reverse. He's supposed to be geared for Boss Fights, but it would be annoying to grind him up on mobs because he's specifically bad at dealing with more than one opponent. So I don't use him for boss fights BECAUSE I wasn't using him for mob fights. Also, he's low on SP and his physical atacks leave him low on HP, so he has horrible stamina for any kind of battle.

The both of them are crippling overspecialized in a bad way for a JRPG. I won't say they're useless, but I personally think both of them are just too much trouble to be worth it.

The Yousuke / Yukiko / Teddie team is well-balanced for dealing with anything, so I can fight my way through a dungeon with them, killing anything, racking up the experience, and be ready to fight the boss without needing to take time-out to train up. And the fighting in this game really isn't fun enough to do just for grinding.

As for romantic options, Naoto was the one girl I accidentally ended up in Friendship with (I went for the harem route simply because I didn't want to play the game more than twice). It was entirely a coincidence, but I never really considered her an option for the MC, seeing as I thought she and Kanji would end up as a couple. She also didn't hold a particular interest for me above the other girls, but that may be because of my mistake in the playing.

That said, I can definitely see Naoto's appeal, and I would personally choose her out of all of the other girls. I need to see what her romance option route looks like.

Inugami
April 16th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Anyway, Kanji definitely likes women. Maybe he likes guys too (though I have my doubts), but he's definitely not unattracted to women. He displays no attraction to the MC, admires Yukiko and Chie in their swimwear, shows more open interest in Naoto once her real gender is revealed, liked seeing Naoto dressed like a girl, was disappointed not to see Naoto in a swimsuit, and mentioned in a totally reflexive manner that the girl from the Persona 3 school was cute.

So, maybe bisexual. But still likes girls. (And teddybears with soft fur. He's got a thing for plushies.)

Yosuke may feel a sortly of manly platonic romance with the MC, but I've had something like that happen with other males, too. I thought they were cool, and they visually appealed to me, but I wasn't sexually attracted to them. I just wanted them to like me as much as I admired them. Maybe it was GAR?

It's the male version of Romantic Two Girl Friendship. It's just that girls don't get squicked out by getting touchy-feely, since they don't associate all such things with sexuality.

Calling Yosuke gay, to me, seems like an old crack I heard, that all girls are one female kiss away from being lesbians.

Inugami
April 16th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Also, I'm really annoyed that the game doesn't have an "Original Japanese voice-track" option. Seriously, it must have been more effort to REMOVE than it would have been to leave in, right?

Not that I had a problem with the English voice-cast, but still.

Chie's voice sounded WAY too old, like an adult woman playing a highschool student. But I quickly got used to her, and don't particularly mind her voice. Though I find it interesting to hear that her Japanese voice is supposed to be much cutesier. Might have increased her appeal for me.

Jase
April 16th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Her Japanese VA is Horie Yui. HORIE YUI.

That's BOKU AYU. PIICHA BIBITTERU (http://youtu.be/qOzxUzkvVak). Fucking Naru, Multi and freaking Hanyuu and Maria at the same time.

Hocchan

Certis Baliano
April 16th, 2011, 03:53 AM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/1563/13026329091111.jpg (http://img231.imageshack.us/i/13026329091111.jpg/)

^ This animated and i can die happily

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

Teen Nanako!?

Grant
April 16th, 2011, 07:04 AM
This is going to be a bit behind, since I'm late to the conversation, but I hope it won't be too bad:

The problem is that using Naoto to wipe out mob enemies means that one of your Boss Fight characters isn't getting all of that XP. (And no, she's really not going to be as effective against a Boss as other characters, because her big, slow and expensive attacks can miss.)

Kanji is the reverse. He's supposed to be geared for Boss Fights, but it would be annoying to grind him up on mobs because he's specifically bad at dealing with more than one opponent. So I don't use him for boss fights BECAUSE I wasn't using him for mob fights. Also, he's low on SP and his physical atacks leave him low on HP, so he has horrible stamina for any kind of battle.

The both of them are crippling overspecialized in a bad way for a JRPG. I won't say they're useless, but I personally think both of them are just too much trouble to be worth it.

The Yousuke / Yukiko / Teddie team is well-balanced for dealing with anything, so I can fight my way through a dungeon with them, killing anything, racking up the experience, and be ready to fight the boss without needing to take time-out to train up. And the fighting in this game really isn't fun enough to do just for grinding.

As for romantic options, Naoto was the one girl I accidentally ended up in Friendship with (I went for the harem route simply because I didn't want to play the game more than twice). It was entirely a coincidence, but I never really considered her an option for the MC, seeing as I thought she and Kanji would end up as a couple. She also didn't hold a particular interest for me above the other girls, but that may be because of my mistake in the playing.

That said, I can definitely see Naoto's appeal, and I would personally choose her out of all of the other girls. I need to see what her romance option route looks like.

So? Just use Naoto in a party and every now and then switch out a member. Of course I personally prefer using Daisoujou myself and using Kanji for the minibosses focused on physical attacks. As for the team, using Yosuke along with Teddie means you have two members weak against electricity (I still don't get why Teddie is). Seems like a better team for bosses than grinding.

I wonder how the show's going to handle seven fighters. Split them up constantly?

Jase
April 16th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Yousuke's SL is available from the beginning. Not having it at Rank 10 and not having him have no weakness, is a sin.

Inugami
April 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM
As for the team, using Yosuke along with Teddie means you have two members weak against electricity
As Jase implies, it's very easy to get Yosuke to the point he has no elemental weaknesses. I was actually annoyed that Yukiko and Teddie retained theirs after persona-upgrades.

(I still don't get why Teddie is).
TEDDIE: All Shadows have weaknesses, but they never make any sense! [/hiimdaisy]

I wonder how the show's going to handle seven fighters. Split them up constantly?
Seems a decent solution.

I wonder how it's going to handle the MC's Persona-switching ability.

MAN, I hated that power. Why could I just keep Izanagi throughout the game? He was badass-looking, and hunting down, fusing and leveling up fifty other monsters was a pain in the ass.

Inugami
April 16th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Anyway, now I want to share some thoughts will y'all regarding both games and their respective themes:

In Persona 3, the theme is obviously "Life and Death".
* The Dark Hour turns everyone who hasn't been awakened to it into a coffin, and transforms the school complex into a place called Tartarus, the deepest level of the Greek Underworld, which specifically served as Hell.

* The Hero survived a traumatic accident that killed his entire family. He certainly forgot the accident itself, but perhaps all of his life beforehand, making it a form of death and rebirth. SPOILER: It also left him bonded with the embodiment of the Death Arcana, which might have been the central component of Nyx.

* The Hero's first persona is Orpheus, the man who (almost) defeated death to bring someone he loved back to life. The Hero's ultimate persona is Messiah, the man who died so that others might live eternally. SPOILER: Further, the Hero himself performs a similar sacrifice. Indeed, the central theme is the method by which the final bosses are defeated in either game; in this case, Nyx is not defeated by being killed, but by someone sacrificing themselves to become a seal against humanity's Wish For Death.

* Personas are summoned in a controllable fashion by miming the act of suicide / self-sacrifice. Through willingness to give up their lives, they gain the power to save lives.

* Aegis, a robot, tries to determine whether or not she counts as a living creature. At the end, The Death Arcana / Nyx itself assures her that she is. Of course, this also means that she can die; in FES, Igor and Elizabeth assure her it is the same kind of death that awaits humans, so whatever answers or reunions they get to enjoy, so does she.

In Persona 4, the theme is "Truth and Lies"
* The Dark Hour is replaced with the world inside the TV, which is characterized by heavy fog that obscures clear vision; fighting against the fog unaided leaves one tired and sick. It is an arguably illusionary world, possibly formed of humanity's collective unconciousness, and populated by shadows created from accumulated angst of humanity. (I doubt each regular shadow is particularly attached to a person, or else slaughtering them all would have provoked a reaction in some people.) Whenever an unawakened individual is trapped there, the TV world changes that area to match the individual's mindset.

* The Hero's parents and extended family are all still alive, and he's even living with his uncle and cousin. But he almost never sees his parents, and is constantly forced to move from place to place, always having to start his life over. As a result, I imagine he feels disconnected (possibly from reality), and as though he's living "in a fog" himself.
** On the balance, he may have spent a good deal of his time self-reflecting about himself and his own issues, which may be why he doesn't have to fight his own Shadow to control his Persona. SPOILER: Namatame, upon having his life destroyed and moving back to Inaba, didn't self-reflect, he just got drunk. Adachi had an issue or two he wasn't facing, but apparently was honest enough with himself (twisted as he was) that he could use a Persona... alternatively, he was being controlled by Ameno-no-Saigiri, which allowed him power without self-realization.

* The Hero's first and final persona is Izanagi, the mythological creator of Japan and humanity, whose wife became something of an embodiment of the Underworld and death. When his wife died, his attempt to bring her back mirrors that of Orpheus'; but with differences. Orpheus failed because he did not master his desire to see his wife alive until the right time, thereby breaking his promise with Hades, god of the dead.
** Izanagi, on the other hand, was tempted by curiousity; he noticed that something seemed wrong about his wife. Against his wife's wishes, he sought out her face, wanting to see her as he had always known her, and thus was shocked and dismayed to see "the truth"; that she was a rotting corpse. I think it was an incomplete "truth", temporary at best, since she could have returned to life if they had finished their journey back to the land of the living together. But instead, he fled from her and the truth rather than confronting it, and death was the result. From this, his wife concludes that people don't really want the truth -- about themselves or others -- and would much rather live in a fog of comfortable lies and delusions. But she also wants to drag them down to her diminished and degraded level, in death.

* Personas are gained when people confront the truths about themselves that they had been avoiding; twisting themselves up by never answering their own doubts, confused about the truth behind those true feelings. Only through gaining the courage to confront themselves as they really were could they begin to understand those myriad truths, becoming whole and comfortable with themselves. Each stage of revelation brought with it more power to confront the world's manifested lies.

* Aegis was trying to figure out if she was alive. Teddie was trying to figure out the truth about what he was.

* The final boss doesn't loom big and horrifying and inevitable at the end of the story, like Death did in the last game. Just like trying to find your way in a fog, it's easy to get lost in any of half-a-dozen False Endings. It's only by being relentlessly curious and unwilling to accept the easy answers that you discover the true boss behind the lies. You'll always meet Death at the end of your life, but you can live out your days without ever confronting the Truth.

* In the end, the final boss is defeated when your example reveals that there are still human beings willing to cut through the fog and face themselves and the truth, no matter how ugly it seems at first, so that they can get on with better lives.

I find myself wondering what theme that Persona 5 might cover? And what body of mythology it would draw from? The first was classic Western, with Greco-Roman and Christian features (with some Egyptian). The second was classic Japanese. Could the next be Chinese, or Hindu, or Norse?

Perhaps Celtic / Welsh / classic Arthurian?

Ruca_Milda
April 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM
My goodness Inu, that was....deep.

squall06
April 16th, 2011, 12:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Vav3Lq2-g
DAT Izanagi

Ruca_Milda
April 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
The girl around 0:34-0:36, on top of the bed....is that Nanako? I don't remember seeing that girl...

squall06
April 16th, 2011, 12:37 PM
i think this is Nanako

terraablaze
April 16th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Also, I'm really annoyed that the game doesn't have an "Original Japanese voice-track" option. Seriously, it must have been more effort to REMOVE than it would have been to leave in, right?

Apparently you have to re-pay the voice actors all over again if you leave in the voice tracks, not a big deal for big AAA studios but Atlus is maybe and A at most.

Edit: also that PV is cool

Grant
April 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
The girl around 0:34-0:36, on top of the bed....is that Nanako? I don't remember seeing that girl...

Yep, Nana-chan.

Rowanism
April 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM
Most useless Persona looks so cool.

Jase
April 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Someone is watching Nanako sleep.

I'm okay with this.

04satsujinki40
April 16th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Anyway, now I want to share some thoughts will y'all regarding both games and their respective themes:

In Persona 3, the theme is obviously "Life and Death".
* The Dark Hour turns everyone who hasn't been awakened to it into a coffin, and transforms the school complex into a place called Tartarus, the deepest level of the Greek Underworld, which specifically served as Hell.

* The Hero survived a traumatic accident that killed his entire family. He certainly forgot the accident itself, but perhaps all of his life beforehand, making it a form of death and rebirth. SPOILER: It also left him bonded with the embodiment of the Death Arcana, which might have been the central component of Nyx.

* The Hero's first persona is Orpheus, the man who (almost) defeated death to bring someone he loved back to life. The Hero's ultimate persona is Messiah, the man who died so that others might live eternally. SPOILER: Further, the Hero himself performs a similar sacrifice. Indeed, the central theme is the method by which the final bosses are defeated in either game; in this case, Nyx is not defeated by being killed, but by someone sacrificing themselves to become a seal against humanity's Wish For Death.

* Personas are summoned in a controllable fashion by miming the act of suicide / self-sacrifice. Through willingness to give up their lives, they gain the power to save lives.

* Aegis, a robot, tries to determine whether or not she counts as a living creature. At the end, The Death Arcana / Nyx itself assures her that she is. Of course, this also means that she can die; in FES, Igor and Elizabeth assure her it is the same kind of death that awaits humans, so whatever answers or reunions they get to enjoy, so does she.

Well said, dude~

Inugami
April 18th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Also forgot.

Aegis was trying to figure out if she was alive. Teddie was trying to figure out the truth about what he was.

EmagEvil
April 18th, 2011, 04:42 AM
I have a mixed feeling about this project, since the only other Persona anime(Trinity Soul) was really meh...

Pata Hikari
April 18th, 2011, 01:46 PM

I'm all for Atlus forcing weeaboos to deal with things not from GLORIOUS NIPPON.

Play the Japanese version if you want to hear Japanese voices.

Chie's voice sounded WAY too old, like an adult woman playing a highschool student. But I quickly got used to her, and don't particularly mind her voice. Though I find it interesting to hear that her Japanese voice is supposed to be much cutesier. Might have increased her appeal for me.

Oh no. I don't need another high pitched faux-prepubescent Japanese girl voice. Chie is NOT "cutsie"

Mcjon01
April 18th, 2011, 02:23 PM
I'm all for Atlus forcing weeaboos to deal with things not from GLORIOUS NIPPON.

Ugh. I think I might actually hate this kind of attitude more than I hate people who are totally obsessed with Japan. I mean, at least they're usually just annoyingly naive and enthusiastic and saddled with crippling personality flaws that make them unbearable to be around. Better than being filled with impotent spite.

Tobias
April 18th, 2011, 02:34 PM
dont let lily hear you say that.

Grant
April 18th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Maybe by the time Persona 5 comes out we can switch between audio. Also maybe they'll let us turn off the god damn announcers (yeah right).

Inugami
April 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Perhaps from a lack of creativity, I keep returning to the thought that Persona 5 will deal with Hopes/Dreams and Fears.

I think they might eventually get around to how Aegis and Elizabeth are looking to free the P3 MC from the seal. I wonder which mythology works best for that. Egyptian, with Isis bringing Horus back from the dead after his fight with Set? Maybe Norse, if it involves the End Of The World?

Pata Hikari
April 18th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Ugh. I think I might actually hate this kind of attitude more than I hate people who are totally obsessed with Japan. I mean, at least they're usually just annoyingly naive and enthusiastic and saddled with crippling personality flaws that make them unbearable to be around. Better than being filled with impotent spite.

I'll have you know my spite is quite potent.

Jase
April 18th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Lol, haters of dub haters.

Because people aren't allowed to be dissatisfied with their product. If only learning an entire other language were such a trifle that you could become literate in it (something people weren't even for their own language most of the time, til' only a short century or less ago!) that you could just magically gain the capability of playing a game Japanese version so casually.

Rather than, y'know, asking for it as a comparitive feature, as many other jRPG's feature it anyways. Not to mention, the P3/4 translation staff are weeaboo enough to leave in honorifics (pretty pointless and a pure marketing move, tbh), so Japanese audio clearly isn't an ethical or personal issue for the staff.

It's purely financial. And I don't see how people aren't unjustified in being peeved, if it peeves them *shrug*

*shrug*

Grant
April 18th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Perhaps from a lack of creativity, I keep returning to the thought that Persona 5 will deal with Hopes/Dreams and Fears.

I think they might eventually get around to how Aegis and Elizabeth are looking to free the P3 MC from the seal. I wonder which mythology works best for that. Egyptian, with Isis bringing Horus back from the dead after his fight with Set? Maybe Norse, if it involves the End Of The World?

I'm not sure if there are any widely known mythologies/religions left. Judeo-Christian maybe but Atlus seems to be trying to move away from that. Hopes/Fears would be a nice theme, I wish they'd go back to Order/Chaos but that would probably involve definite changes to the world (something P3/P4 have avoided) and would be more morally ambiguous than the last two games.

Inugami
April 18th, 2011, 05:05 PM
From what I've heard, I'm rather happy they haven't returned to Order and Chaos. Order sounds like it always ends up totally evil while Chaos comes across as the roguish good guys.

Rather, I wish they'd leave off this "nameless, voiceless Messiah whom you have to waste so much time outfitting with a new Persona ever dungeon or so". Seta Souji was a BLACK MARK on a great cast. It was horrible, having him sit there like a silent elephant in the room, offering absolutely nothing to to the conservations or interactions except when asked a direct question.

It was made even worse by the fact that NONE of the cast seemed to interact with each other EXCEPT when this walking blackhole was in the scene. Which is ridiculous, since he's not contributing anything!

He's supposed to be my avatar? But I can't get him to say what I want, when I want to! So just let him be his OWN person, okay?

And I'd much rather have a system of fluidly switching out my party members in mid-battle, rather than switching one character's Personas. Makes everyone that much more important without making ONE guy so much more important than everyone else.

I want a game that switches perspectives between the cast members of my party, and puts me in control of different characters and teams when they get split up.

KENTA
April 18th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Kinda sounds like you want FF 13

Jase
April 18th, 2011, 05:11 PM
You'd have to rework the Social Link system pretty heavily though, which would be a tough moving point for them, since it's one of their "big things" that they added to Persona, when trying to redefine the series with Persona 3.

And honestly, Narukami Yu (see what I did there?) isn't any more silent than the past Persona main characters, so I'm not really sure why you pick him out specifically.

terraablaze
April 18th, 2011, 05:32 PM
hmm... major world mythologies. I would suggest a South American one but we seem to have little information about them in the present day(then again the makers seem to have access to information I don't have). Have they done Celtic, or Mesopotamian? I think they used Greek in Persona 2 as well so it is not like they are above reusing mythos. I wouldn't mind them doing something super obscure since they have already used so much, if they do Celtic they will probably have to redesign Cuchulain into the new style like they did with Cerberus.

Grant
April 18th, 2011, 05:51 PM
From what I've heard, I'm rather happy they haven't returned to Order and Chaos. Order sounds like it always ends up totally evil while Chaos comes across as the roguish good guys.

In the early games maybe but Chaos gets pretty unpleasant the further you go. Devil Survivor did a good job of balancing them I'd say.

hmm... major world mythologies. I would suggest a South American one but we seem to have little information about them in the present day(then again the makers seem to have access to information I don't have). Have they done Celtic, or Mesopotamian? I think they used Greek in Persona 2 as well so it is not like they are above reusing mythos. I wouldn't mind them doing something super obscure since they have already used so much, if they do Celtic they will probably have to redesign Cuchulain into the new style like they did with Cerberus.

As for Celtic...the parts that a Japanese or American player would recognize (that we can actually be sure were part of the various beliefs) have already been put in like Setanta and Cu Culhainn. The Assyrian/Babylonian beliefs are a possibility, albeit one that few would recognize.

Inugami
April 18th, 2011, 06:22 PM
And honestly, Narukami Yu (see what I did there?) isn't any more silent than the past Persona main characters, so I'm not really sure why you pick him out specifically.
I played Persona 4 before looking into Persona 3, and have never seen 1 or 2 or SMT or Devil Summoner.

Incidentally: Shirogane Naoto, descendent of Devil Summoners and sister of long-lost brother P3 MC?

Inugami
April 18th, 2011, 06:25 PM
As for Celtic...the parts that a Japanese or American player would recognize (that we can actually be sure were part of the various beliefs) have already been put in like Setanta and Cu Culhainn. The Assyrian/Babylonian beliefs are a possibility, albeit one that few would recognize.
You are confused.

The personas available to the MC come from all over the world and do not contribute to the theme being used. The MC's STARTING and ENDING Persona, and the Personas of his allies (and maybe his enemies) are subject to the theme.

Take-Mikazuchi was available to P3's MC as a generic sort of persona, much different from Tatsumi Kanji's personalized rendition in P4.

Grant
April 18th, 2011, 08:13 PM
It was? I never noticed.

EmagEvil
April 19th, 2011, 05:28 AM
It was, and no one noticed that the first form of Shirogane Naoto's Persona was a boss in the first Devil Summoner Raito?

Verg Avesta
April 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM

Rather, I wish they'd leave off this "nameless, voiceless Messiah whom you have to waste so much time outfitting with a new Persona ever dungeon or so". Seta Souji was a BLACK MARK on a great cast. It was horrible, having him sit there like a silent elephant in the room, offering absolutely nothing to to the conservations or interactions except when asked a direct question.

It was made even worse by the fact that NONE of the cast seemed to interact with each other EXCEPT when this walking blackhole was in the scene. Which is ridiculous, since he's not contributing anything!

He's supposed to be my avatar? But I can't get him to say what I want, when I want to! So just let him be his OWN person, okay?

Really? Even though he never did really "say" anything, Seta Souji managed to be an badass banchou. Which is quite a feat.

Erlkonig
April 21st, 2011, 10:42 AM
I think of Seta as pretty calm and collected guy. That's why he doesn't speak much. For example, there was a moment in which he spoke much more than before: when the others wanted to throw Namatame into the TV. I think that's when he started to lose his cool.

Tobias
April 21st, 2011, 10:51 AM
might have been me reading to much into it, but I always kind of thought leadership was weighing him down.

towards the beginning he actually seemed to talk more, at least, thats what I thought, but as things went on he was having to deal with having a lot of stuff on his plate, so when arguments and conversations were going on, he was always only half involved, and half straining his brain trying to stay one step a head of the fact that as a high school student he constantly had the lives of the victims as well as his friends resting on his shoulders.

Gilgamesh
April 22nd, 2011, 03:44 AM
Who is this Seta guy you are all talking about?

Do you perhaps mean Narukami?

:D

ikidofcourse

squall06
April 22nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
I named him Kiryu Kazuma when i played the game so i dont really care what his new name is

Verg Avesta
April 22nd, 2011, 08:41 AM
He has no name.

For he is Banchou.

P3 MC is just Emo-Jesus. While Takaya is Stoned-Jesus.

Inugami
April 29th, 2011, 10:45 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkCmRpfz41w

Pata Hikari
April 29th, 2011, 11:37 PM
And you linked us to a crappy slideshow set to bad music.... why?

Grant
April 30th, 2011, 02:43 AM
I'm guessing it's for the different pairings but whoever made it seems to be strongly Naoto/Narukami.

mangafreak7793
April 30th, 2011, 02:48 AM
^ though I'm a fan to Naoto/Naruami, I'm also curious as to why?

terraablaze
April 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah sorry senior member but I have to ask why as well.

Inugami
April 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I liked the song and it had some cute pictures.

Not as many as I remember, though. It must have been a different video that had pictures of crossdressing!Bancho hitting on crossdressing!Naoto, and on crossdressing!Brosuke.

Pata Hikari
April 30th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I would be all MC/Yukkio but she's too gay for Chie.

Neir
May 1st, 2011, 03:25 PM
She is.

Bancho x Naoto 100% required.

And I'm glad that it's impossible for them to leave out the beauty pageant from the anime.

Oshare Banchou. Glory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keDA_6vxsVk

squall06
May 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
I dont understand what is so great about Naoto...

Neir
May 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM
Delicious reverse trap.

Gundam Meister
May 1st, 2011, 03:47 PM
One my favorite P4 fan videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUKg5amExT4&feature=related

Neir
May 1st, 2011, 03:48 PM
There's another with P3 and P4 getting drunk.

Grant
May 1st, 2011, 04:32 PM
Bancho x Naoto 100% required.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5109/5677293442_9336168ce7.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5069/5677293822_d6991179da.jpg

Detectives win. Strong female detectives win. Strong female catgirl detectives win.

Neir
May 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM
Therefore, Naoto wins.

Cascade
May 1st, 2011, 05:34 PM
COLUMBIA

I dont understand what is so great about Naoto...
You and me both man.
She's cool and all, but the appeal of reverse trap is lost on me. Don't see what's so hot about a girl being easily mistaken for a guy...

She was also almost totally useless in boss fights.

It was hard for me to pick favorites. Chie, Yukiko and Rise are all great.

Neir
May 1st, 2011, 06:33 PM
Fair. Naoto was virtually useless in boss fights. Honestly, her followup attack was awesome because it hit everyone, but so did Kanji's.

mangafreak7793
May 2nd, 2011, 07:08 AM
I couldn't make myself like Rise but For Yukiko,Chie and Naoto I do like and it's kind of hard to choose but I do lean more on Naoto then the others.

IS their any new information yet?

Mereo Flere
May 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
She's cool and all, but the appeal of reverse trap is lost on me. Don't see what's so hot about a girl being easily mistaken for a guy...

Gender issues are adorable.

Okay, they're pretty terrible for the person that has them, but when it's a cute girl (which most reverse traps are; they're more androgynous than manly) who has an awkward time acting feminine, it becomes an endearing character trait. It's a more extreme version of the tomboy gap moe.

Of course, that's only one explanation. There are several reasons people might like reverse traps.

Also, if the anime doesn't have Yu steamroll every boss by himself, I'm calling shenanigans. After all, that's how my games always ended up.

Forget tiers, he's the goddamn Banchou.

Jase
May 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM
Who cares about follow up attacks?

Chie's is the only one that matters.

Grant
May 2nd, 2011, 04:08 PM
Gender issues are adorable.

Okay, they're pretty terrible for the person that has them, but when it's a cute girl (which most reverse traps are; they're more androgynous than manly) who has an awkward time acting feminine, it becomes an endearing character trait. It's a more extreme version of the tomboy gap moe.

Of course, that's only one explanation. There are several reasons people might like reverse traps.

Also, if the anime doesn't have Yu steamroll every boss by himself, I'm calling shenanigans. After all, that's how my games always ended up.

Forget tiers, he's the goddamn Banchou.

Really? For me it was usually Yosuke or Yukiko landing the last hit on the bosses.

Pata Hikari
May 3rd, 2011, 09:15 PM
MC (Or, Hikaru Hiro as I name every Megaten Protaganist) for me tends to do support, casting the vital debuffs that keep a boss's attack, defense, and hit/evasion low.

terraablaze
May 6th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Just a something really quick but I happened to find this while completely bored:
http://hiimdaisy.livejournal.com/27722.html#cutid1

be sure to check the update, and hot fizzle rocks she/he (what is peachi's gender?) updates cucumber quest more frequently than I expected. As I probably should have suspected it reads somewhat like the videogame parody comics, I feel like this could have been a game that only Peachifruit played while in an alternate time line. And I think I would like to play it. As the little sister of course.

Also if we are comparing it to our experience then every boss fight everyone but Kanji should get wasted. I swear the first time I fought a boss it seemed he was the only one who didn't crumple up under a stiff breeze, he was always standing even after the main character died.

Grant
May 6th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I'm fairly sure they're female. Which, based on internet logic, means that they're probably a man in disguise. Just be glad they aren't a twelve year old or they'd be an FBI agent.

As for Kanji, yeah he pretty much is the meat shield of the group. I usually didn't even bother to have him defend, he just used items.

Jase
May 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I worked hard on buffs and debuffs, and Yukiko healed like a monster, so I didn't really have that issue. Of course, if some fluke happened, MC can fix everything on his own.

As usual.

Cruor
May 6th, 2011, 08:07 PM
She's a female. According to my brother /v/ even managed to find her devianart page (which was under a different name). Apparently, they were divided between raging that she was a female (no one knew her gender at this point so everyone thought she was a guy) and that she went to devianart.

^The MC's Personae stats are almost always twice as strong as any of your party members. Or at least I definitely know this was the case in P3.

terraablaze
May 6th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Wasn't quite the case for me in P4
Kanji just has gallons of health with a side helping of Vitality he could donate from

Cascade
May 6th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Depends on how you play. If you take the time to fusion well and you swap party members frequently, your MC will be god and the party members will be like bonuses. That's how I played, lol.

If you just stick with the obviously best party of Yousuke, Yukiko and Chie though, you won't really have a huge difference in level I bet.

One thing I sure missed in P4 was having a healbot like Aegis... Literally.
I mean, her SP was completely free for nothing other than healing and buffing, while her ample HP was barely used up by her powerful physical spells. The overall level of usefulness of the other party members was intensified a great deal in P4 though.

Neir
May 6th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Also, Aigis was delicious.

squall06
May 6th, 2011, 11:21 PM
She's a female. According to my brother /v/ even managed to find her devianart page (which was under a different name). Apparently, they were divided between raging that she was a female (no one knew her gender at this point so everyone thought she was a guy) and that she went to devianart.

hiimdaisy.livejournal.com/27722.html#cutid1
hi im daisy

Cascade
May 7th, 2011, 02:08 AM
I don't see why it's so surprising. There are a lot of female persona fans.
I might be wrong, but my impression of the series was that it appealed to girls even more in the Persona 2 era.

Inugami
May 7th, 2011, 03:02 AM
Also, Aigis was delicious.
Indeed.

Of course, given your preference for Saber, your prefence for Aigis is no surprise.

Neir
May 7th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Indeed.

Of course, given your preference for Saber, your prefence for Aigis is no surprise.

Well played, Inu.

Cascade
May 7th, 2011, 07:12 PM
I just liked her Gouf finger machine guns and the fact that her English voice was the least offensive.
Had I played the JP version or undubbed, I would have gotten "de arimasu."

That and my sense of humor didn't allow me to pass up having a "healbot"

Neir
May 7th, 2011, 07:14 PM
All of those. The drama CDs were great for a voice supplement. Although in general the English voices weren't too bad in P3 or P4.

Jase
May 7th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Except Fuuka.

Grant
May 7th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Forget Fuuka, at least she didn't make you want to reach in there and kill a bear. I actually had the volume turned off for any scene where Teddie spoke.

Hey, there's an idea for any future games. Let us skip through scenes we don't have to make decisions in and let us turn off the announcer!

Neir
May 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Yeah! Fuck characterization!

Cascade
May 7th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Hey, Teddie's puns were fun. XD

Neir
May 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Horrible, but fun, yes.

Gilgamesh
May 8th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Teddie was awesome. His voice isn't that bad. I actually think his Japanese voice is more annoying.

Neir
May 8th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah, but the name Teddie just... ugh. Kuma just sounds better to me.

KENTA
May 8th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I like Teddie, mostly because it sounds like an actual name instead of "Well, he looks like a bear, so I'm just gonna call him bear."

Cascade
May 8th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Really the only English voice that I thought weren't great was Chie. (And Naoto to a certain extent, but it worked for her.) She wasn't even bad; just not Yui Horie. It's like the problem I had with Fuuka, only Fuuka's English VA was legitimately bad.

Gilgamesh
May 11th, 2011, 03:09 AM
Fuuka's English VA was legitimately bad.

No she wasn't. She's been in other things where she does a great job, and even in Persona 3 I didn't find her voice all that annoying. It was just those battle phrases she was always saying that got annoying. Actual story moments she sounded decent enough in.

Jase
May 11th, 2011, 03:44 AM
No, she's bad in the whole game.

imo it's just poor casting + poor directing, on their part. Her pronunciation of Japanese words (which of course, wouldn't be an issue in most games other than P3!) was just plain incompetent. But it's also stuff that should've been caught in the directing or QC stage. I don't really think the VA herself, at least on American standards, is that bad, but this case of her as Fuuka is just terrible. And it's doubly outrageous since she had fucking Mamiko Noto to live up to, too.

Pata Hikari
May 11th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Kuma completely fails to get across the joke behind his name.

I had to look it up to learn that Kuma means "bear". He's a bear named Bear.

By making it Teddie is both sounds like a name, and gets the joke across.

Mereo Flere
May 12th, 2011, 01:08 AM

Are you saying Theodore Roosevelt's nickname is in any way inferior to "Kuma" at all?

Because, my friend, you are treading on some dangerous ground right now.

Dullahan
May 12th, 2011, 09:40 PM
Oh god, now I can't stop imagining Human!Teddie as a young version of Theodore Roosevelt.

I'd vote for him.

Grant
May 12th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Teddie: And as president my first priority will be to smooch every woman in D.C!

Dullahan
May 13th, 2011, 04:18 AM
So, one-upping Clinton, then? :)

terraablaze
May 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Kennedy did that long ago, how much sex did that guy have?

Dullahan
May 13th, 2011, 09:23 PM
First thing he'll do is to turn the White House into the Pimp House. He'll have a harem to top King Solomon's.

Gilgamesh
May 14th, 2011, 01:23 AM
No, she's bad in the whole game.

imo it's just poor casting + poor directing, on their part. Her pronunciation of Japanese words (which of course, wouldn't be an issue in most games other than P3!) was just plain incompetent. But it's also stuff that should've been caught in the directing or QC stage. I don't really think the VA herself, at least on American standards, is that bad, but this case of her as Fuuka is just terrible. And it's doubly outrageous since she had fucking Mamiko Noto to live up to, too.

I didn't find a single thing wrong with her acting in Persona 3. At least, definitely not on the level that people make it out to be. Have you guys seen bad dialog? Because if you think Fuuka is bad, then you guys are spoiled rotten, because there are tons upon tons of games with acting that will make you want to rip your ears off. Or acting that is just in general terrible. Fuuka wasn't nearly that level, and I think most people play her off as the most annoying voice ever only because it became some kind of weird almost-meme after Crombie's Fuuka remix song thing.

Seriously. There is nothing wrong with Fuuka's voice. It sounds like a regular soft-ish girl anime voice. An American can't sound like a Japanese woman, so are you sure it isn't just your personal preference making you think the alternative is bad?

Jase
May 14th, 2011, 01:33 AM
What Fuuka remix?

I just played the game. Heard about Junpei being a coon and what almost seems like her accusing Koromaru is a fu manchu that we should lynch. And just a wide array of her audio clips being awfully integrated.

So I rage quitted the dub. Internet whatever memes have nothing to do with it.

Also it's not bad cause there is something much worse is a blatant fallacy.

Gilgamesh
May 14th, 2011, 01:43 AM
I said that was probably the reason that people make it seem like it was THE WORST EVER, not your personal reason. Only reason I suggest for you was that your personal preference for Japanese voices made you biased to think the English actor was bad. Which it seems like, since neither the acting or dialogue in P3 is worth "rage quitting the dub" over. It was perfectly fine.

Jase
May 14th, 2011, 02:17 AM
And I think you're just being apologist. It was bad. It was way back in the early days, I didn't mind playing dubs. Hell, I somewhat reluctantly played Vesperia through dubbed, and ultimately got through all of Persona 4 dubbed.

But it was just physically impossible in the case of Persona 3. Period.

And I'm sure plenty of other people came to that conclusion on their own.

I mean, I'll always be lobbying for Japanese voices so I can play a game without mediocre voice direction, but I'm not above playing one or anything. Wild ARMS V probably had a worse dub, but that was similarly character specific and I could at least specifically tell her to STFU during all non-cutscenes.

Dream
May 14th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Ah... Persona 4... AKA use Black Frost for easy mode.
Confirmed Izanami as the Love Interest?
Picture Related.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv135/Souji90/Persona%204/894863-souji__2__super.jpg

Dullahan
May 14th, 2011, 11:19 AM
You see, they were planning to put an Izanami S. Link into the game, but they couldn't find an 'Awesome' arcana for it to correspond to.

...cause if they did...

"The Izanami Social Link has reached its maximum level! <INSERT NAME HERE> has forged a bond that cannot be broken!"

"We bestow upon thee the power to fuse CHUCK NORRIS, ultimate form of the Awesome arcana."

Dream
May 14th, 2011, 12:23 PM
With this as a stat-screen?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vsidALXhris/TVRZg3YR_5I/AAAAAAAAATE/-7JQvZD54Ns/s320/chuck-norris-magic-the-gathering-card-3.jpg

Gilgamesh
May 14th, 2011, 04:54 PM
I liked the Persona 3 dub, so, no, I'm not being apologist. Liam Obrien as Akihiko was fucking amazing. Karen Strassman as Aigis was perfect. Michelle Ruff, Vic Mignogna, Derek Stephen Prince, Yuri Lowenthal. They are all big names in the voice acting scene and they are loved by anime and video game fans. The directing was fine as well, the actors sounded perfectly natural to me. It wasn't on the God-tier level that the Persona 4 dub was, but it was still good. I can see little to nothing to find offensive in the dubs that Atlus provides. I am a huge fan of them, as is all my irl friends and about half of the people I know online.

... and did we really just have a Chuck Norris joke? :/

Cruor
May 14th, 2011, 05:19 PM
With this as a stat-screen?
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-vsidALXhris/TVRZg3YR_5I/AAAAAAAAATE/-7JQvZD54Ns/s320/chuck-norris-magic-the-gathering-card-3.jpg

Sup Chuck, say hi to Aikawa Jun. (http://imageshack.us/m/823/428/aikawajun.jpg)

Jase
May 14th, 2011, 06:17 PM
roflmao Aikawa Jun.

And well, it's fine, Gilgamesh, that you like something mediocre. But I have standards. And the plain fact is they were all awful at saying Japanese words when the time came. Their acting is irrelevant cause it'd always get ruined by that small incompetence.

And Fuuka was just the worst of the bunch.

Arihiko's a good guy. Still didn't know how to speak Japanese words. Fuuka was bad and was awful at Japanese words too.

Dream
May 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
... and did we really just have a Chuck Norris joke? :/
Sir, we had a Chuck Norris Joke.
SHUT.
DOWN.
EVERYTHING!!!
pffff.
You're just envious because your original Chuck Norris joke isn't as awesome as that magic card.

@Cruor
Can't read runes, for all I know it could say that she likes candies.
99999 candies.

Jase
May 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
Aikawa Jun is canonically the world's best entrepreneur.

She is good at everything. Nay, she's a genius at everything. And pretty hot on top of that. She hires herself out freelance to do job. And of course, she's the go to for everything because she's a genius at everything. And not just mental tasks, but a genius at fighting and all too.

Dream
May 14th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Aikawa Jun is canonically the world's best entrepreneur.

She is good at everything. Nay, she's a genius at everything. And pretty hot on top of that. She hires herself out freelance to do job. And of course, she's the go to for everything because she's a genius at everything. And not just mental tasks, but a genius at fighting and all too.
Sorry for my english but
Never saw anyone being smart versus Bullets.

Cruor
May 14th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Aikawa Jun's ability is to destroy all the cards on field and in hand for all players (so yeah, about that stuff about Chuck being his own player....). But really out of the Zerozaki TCG sets both Takashi (who nullifies the effects of all cards for the rest of the game) and Rikka Kajumaru (who cannot lose no matter what) have better effects but lower stats. And Omokage (who's ability is to nullify Aikawa Jun's ability) has better stats (infinite everything).

^She's taken shot gun blasts at pointblank with a straight face.

Dream
May 14th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Aikawa Jun's ability is to destroy all the cards on field and in hand for all players (so yeah, about that stuff about Chuck being his own player....). But really out of the Zerozaki TCG sets both Takashi (who nullifies the effects of all cards for the rest of the game) and Rikka Kajumaru (who cannot lose no matter what) have better effects but lower stats. And Omokage (who's ability is to nullify Aikawa Jun's ability) has better stats (infinite everything).

^She's taken shot gun blasts at pointblank with a straight face.
Well if Chuck norris could be put in game as an istant ( some creatures in magic can, like mystical snake) its effect is instantaneous, even during the enemy's turn. And you could use it before you put yours.
Still I didn't play a magic duel in... dunno, ages.

Now, what does the being genius has to do with taking shotgun blasts at the face?
And, well, Chuck Norris is known for being virtually indestructible in the films.

On a sidenote, Yes it's also my fault but aren't we derailing this?

Jase
May 14th, 2011, 08:51 PM
Instants can always be played on the opponent's turn. They just get priority forcing one spell through if they really want (and by doing nothing, they forfeit the priority).

Ruca_Milda
May 14th, 2011, 09:08 PM
And I think you're just being apologist. It was bad. It was way back in the early days, I didn't mind playing dubs. Hell, I somewhat reluctantly played Vesperia through dubbed, and ultimately got through all of Persona 4 dubbed.

Oh Vesperia. Haven't played it yet (no 360), but apparently the dub was pretty bad from what I heard. The hilarious part is that it's one of the few who had voiced skits in the dub.

But listening to Karol on a certain video made my ears bleed.

terraablaze
May 14th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Voice Acting argument?
obligatory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulbotKa5LnM

also new and improved

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_bx_9QYt7k&feature=channel_video_title

IT HURTS

IT HURTS IT HURTS

IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS IT HURTS

Jase
May 14th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Oh Vesperia. Haven't played it yet (no 360), but apparently the dub was pretty bad from what I heard. The hilarious part is that it's one of the few who had voiced skits in the dub.

But listening to Karol on a certain video made my ears bleed.

Well, American voice acting in anime/JRPG's has the loving tradition of casting 50~60 year old women to play 10 year old boys. Go figure.

Grant
May 14th, 2011, 11:16 PM
A new 11 second trailer here (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/14/another-persona-4-anime-teaser-shows-a-familiar-scene/). Atlus seems to have a strategy of releasing a lot of small trailers to keep it in your memory, gets a bit boring when most aren't that interesting.

Pata Hikari
May 15th, 2011, 03:06 AM
Well, ALL VOICE ACTING FOREVER AND EVER has the loving tradition of casting 50~60 year old women to play 10 year old boys. Go figure.

It's really hard to have actual young boys voice act because, guess what? They hit puberty at a faster rate then the characters age. Their voices crack and get deeper. Unless you want a ten year old suddenly sounding like a teenager, you need to use an adult actor that can keep their voice consistent. And women do a lot better job sounding like young boys (because their voices aren't as naturally deep).

This isn't some unique "problem" that somehow only plauges entertainment from GLORIOUS NIPPON being ruined with filthy American dubs. It's a fact of life for ANYTHING that uses voice actors.

Jase
May 15th, 2011, 03:41 AM
Uh, what?

I get you can't use real boys. But you know, I wonder why America insists on using actually 50~60 year old women. Like, precisely that age range. Not exaggerating or hyperbole.

Japan generally utilizes girls from the 18~30 range. Huge difference.

Dullahan
May 15th, 2011, 04:10 AM
It's probably to do with the phonology of Japanese compared to English. Doesn't English communicate a lot more information through tone and timbre of voice than Japanese, or something like that?

terraablaze
May 15th, 2011, 08:40 AM
And my post is lost because of arguments. People should learn to check at least the previous page.

Gilgamesh
May 15th, 2011, 07:07 PM
And well, it's fine, Gilgamesh, that you like something mediocre. But I have standards. And the plain fact is they were all awful at saying Japanese words when the time came. Their acting is irrelevant cause it'd always get ruined by that small incompetence.

"lolol ur personal tastes r mediocre only wut i like is the best"?

I consider myself a pretty arrogant person, but damn that is some mighty big ego you got there, friend.

You're just envious because your original Chuck Norris joke isn't as awesome as that magic card.

Don't be ridiculous. These lame fake jokes are nothing compared to THE ORIGINALZ!!

A new 11 second trailer here (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/05/14/another-persona-4-anime-teaser-shows-a-familiar-scene/). Atlus seems to have a strategy of releasing a lot of small trailers to keep it in your memory, gets a bit boring when most aren't that interesting.

Some people don't seem to get it. They aren't really "trailers". The website is Mayonaka TV, so those videos that pop up are supposed to be what the characters see when they watch Mayonaka TV (aka The Midnight Channel). If you go back and replay (or play if you never did) Persona 4, you'll notice the dates of when they see people on the Midnight Channel is the exact same day those "trailers" pop up.

Jase
May 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
What? It's just fact. I'm not going to argue about what's good.

But bad is bad. And qualities about the Persona 3 dub is just definitively bad. There's no real getting around it.

They were incapable of enunciating Japanese words and honorifics that were a part of the script. That's fact.

Unless it's a goal of the production to do so, speaking the lines wrong is the lowest of the low in acting, voice or flesh.

Fact: Bad. I'm not even saying their acting is bad or anything. But the dub? Factually awful.

squall06
May 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWgTjqZcCuM&feature=player_embedded
new trailer
oh shit the summoning look amazing

Neir
May 17th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I like the way they snuck gay Kanji in there at the end.