PDA

View Full Version : Daedrid's Animation Nation

Daedrid
June 28th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Hullo everyone, I'm Daedrid and I'm trying to improve my animating skills by making animated gifs based off Type-moon stuff.

First gif; Karyou Kaie from DDD.

http://i.imgur.com/Foh7xWw.gif

Petrikow
June 28th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Looks good.

But needs more frames.

I can't sakuga with this.

Though now I'm curious at your static traditional drawing skills, but perhaps asking you to defy the purpose as laid out by the title of thread is a little audacious in the first post.

Daedrid
June 29th, 2013, 04:57 PM
I agree, the Kaie one only has 5 different frames. As for producing sakuga tier animation I hope I can attain such a level of quality through practice.

-----------------------------------------------
EDIT 7:59 PM 7/2/2013

Finished a gif of Kanata Ishizue from DDD just now.

http://i.imgur.com/TdByPtY.gif

Feedback and constructive criticism is welcome and greatly appreciated.

deviatesfish
July 5th, 2013, 11:06 AM
You want to have her facing the punching bag, instead of looking at the feet of the punching bag. This is because if she does look down, she will be pulling the muscles on the left side of her neck when she swings the punch.

Also, her wind up to the punch, she could turn her left shoulder more, and lower her stance more. I see you have that a little, but in this, you would want to have it more obvious because it adds more life to your animation. I notice that you do attempt to show that she is punching with her whole body rather than showing a punch that looks like a jab, which gives you some extra points. You don't need to have her hair fly wide before she has even initiated the movement of the punch, however. Unless you are trying to show that she is walking up to the punching bag.

If she is walking up to the punching bag instead of just moving closer to one that is already somewhat in front of her, you didn't show this very well. But points to you in that I can see this happening.

You want to show her punching at shoulder level, not at forehead level. This is important because not only does the top part of the punching bag hurt a lot to hit this way, it also overextends her body and it does not cause the bag to fly away like you drew. Also, the end slide of the punch, where you show her arm bent, I get that you are trying to show that she is throwing a hay maker, but punches usually do not end up with the elbow bent at 90 degrees. 45 degrees at most, because if you bend the elbow, the punch loses a lot of power. You can watch some documentaries on this sort of thing, compare the punches of shaolin monks to boxers, and you would see that when they are training or demonstrating, they never hit above their shoulder level unless they specialize in that sort of thing, and even then it is mostly jabs or quick attacks, as it is easily to dodge.

If you do want to pursue punch at head level, I suggest drawing the punching bag higher, and have her crouch lower on the approach.

One more thing, you can see that her back is slightly arched and basically straight on the approach. This would work--if she were jogging or running a marathon. Instead, in the approach of a punch, she needs to loosen those back muscles and have a slight hunch forward, otherwise it would look rather unnatural.

Apple
July 5th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Fishie you have bested me with your potent punch knowledge, please take me as a disciple

deviatesfish
July 5th, 2013, 12:50 PM
What. I just practiced several martial arts before.

Daedrid
July 5th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Thank you for the feedback! Yeah I agree I had a lot of things that were off in terms of posture/movement. I'll certainly keep your analysis in mind if I happen to do another animation with punching.