PDA

View Full Version : Anime Studio Simulator

In-N-Out Double-Double & Animal Fries
July 19th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Inspired by many sim games, I'm making an Anime Studio Simulator. Yes, I'm actually making this. Yes, I know that this isn't really that great of an idea. It will be free. And I'll probably write it in python of java or html/javascript or some shit.

So, since I can't access dropbox or google drive from China, I don't really have much other option of sharing what I have so far with the people I want to share it. Feel free to put in your own ideas/input. I'm going to keep it simple at first and keep adding to it. Might make a github repo when I get back to the US.

Starting off, you'll pick a studio name.

Budget (start off each season with a budget to be allocated. Your budget will depend on your reputation)
-Rights
--LN/Manga/Novel - cost depends on popularity of course material
--Original - No rights cost but quality will be highly dependent on staff budget
-Staff
--Director
--Writer
--Animators
--Sound Design/Music
--Voice Actors
--Artists
-Advertisement
-Animation Quality
--Excessive Still Frames (cheapest)
--On 3s
--On 2s
--On 1s (most expensive)
-CG (unlockable after a certain year)
--Low Quality CG (reduces animation cost but overall quality takes a hit)
--High Quality CG (animation costs decrease a little, quality drops a little)

Quality - influences your reputation, your allocated budget, and sales figures

Random Events
-Movie Deal (high budget increase)
-OVA Deal (budget increase)
-Misc bad events

Trends
-By picking an anime genre that follows a trend, you can increase sales. May backfire if market is saturated.

deviatesfish
July 19th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Inspired by me. >:3

July 19th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Fishie told me to make an anime production simulator

Who am I to deny her?

deviatesfish
July 19th, 2013, 08:30 AM
Become huge success, Kyo, now!

Cruor
July 19th, 2013, 08:40 AM
for some reason

I remembered that eroge company rp game in majikoi

lol

Plue
July 19th, 2013, 08:50 AM
Ideas from ircs

Plue: Also, sliders or what not for what % of the show is SoL, combat etc would be amusing

Kyo: if you base it off a source material, some of the sliders will be locked

Plue: Or let it be distorted at the risk of fan backlash

Be able to contract to other bigger studios

Apple
July 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Fishie told me to make an anime production simulator

Who am I to deny her?

Fishie is female? Shocku da

ZidanReign
July 19th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Fishie is female? Shocku da

you cant be serious

Raven2785
July 19th, 2013, 06:26 PM
... So a Game Dev Story clone with an anime studio instead of a videogame company.

You have my blessings, now go forth! and accomplish your goal! shounen-hero style!

Strife ❤️
July 19th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Make it so that you constantly get sent demoralizing hatemail by mad anime fans.

July 19th, 2013, 11:24 PM
Staff management screen:

Here you can fire/hire staff and assign them to certain anime each season

Main kinds of staff:
Directors
Producers
Assistants
Writers
Animators
CGI team
Artists
Musicians
Voice Actors

You can adjust how many of each you have and what their wages are (only paid if they work). You can also assign them to their projects. As they get assigned, they'll gain experience and reputation. Scandals may occur, plummetting their individual reputations and, if you continue to keep workers with low rep, your sales figures will be hurt and so will studio rep. So if you've got a high level VA/Director with shit rep, it's your choice as to whether you want o keep them or fire them. Rep can improve as well as they continue to work on high quality projects.

The more staff you assign to a project, the better quality it will be, generally. Having 2 directors or more than 2 writers generally will either add no quality or actually hurt quality. Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Assistants are cheap and can be assigned to other staff to improve their quality yield. As they level up, you can promote them to other positions.

Writers will gain more experience and rep if they work on original projects than if they work on adaptations

Animators can be outsourced, either to other studios or other countries. Other studios can outsource to your studio as well in random events.

CGI team is the same, but you won't unlock them until later.

deviatesfish
July 20th, 2013, 12:30 AM
Go get a pixel art person to do pixel art for this game of yours. Better than having just text. And then sell it on steam for like a buck, indie and greenlight it with a hint of kickstarter.

ZidanReign
July 20th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Fishie knows where its at

she is best financial advisor

Apple
July 20th, 2013, 12:36 AM
you cant be serious

I am on the not realizing female bit

July 20th, 2013, 12:46 AM
one step at a time man, if I do decide to sell it, I'll go all out with music and graphics and shit but for now it'll just be a fairly straightforwards micromanagement game. For now it's just going to be windows with text and sliders.

deviatesfish
July 20th, 2013, 12:48 AM
copyright troll go

July 20th, 2013, 12:56 AM
because, you know, someone is definitely going to go ahead and steal this totally shitty idea, put in a copyright, and then troll me into stopping development. In which case I'm going to keep at it anyways and they can fuck right off.

Bloble
July 20th, 2013, 12:58 AM
Once you make a Hentai OVA, there's no going back.

July 20th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Hentai OVAs are going to be a part of the game. They're gonna be low-cost, with profits not tied so heavily to quality as much as TV series or movies will be

Hopeluvjoy
July 21st, 2013, 11:06 AM
Hentai OVAs are going to be a part of the game. They're gonna be low-cost, with profits not tied so heavily to quality as much as TV series or movies will be

Okay this is officially the greatest idea ever. When this is released I shall make a hentai company.

July 21st, 2013, 11:13 AM
Yea, you can do that. Low return but with pretty much guaranteed profit. Your rep will be shit though.

deviatesfish
July 22nd, 2013, 06:26 AM
Make it a subsidiary studio that does 18+ while the parent studio does for all ages? Different names and all that. Well, you also have Type-Moon, which makes H, but doesn't have shit rep. Why's that? Or can you make 18+ without it being H animation?

Could you make it into an animation company instead of just a studio?

July 22nd, 2013, 08:39 AM
I'll figure things out as I come along

and I was considering the parent studio idea but I wanted some sort of punishment for relying on hentai. It's supposed to be a crutch when you fuck up, not a constant stream of profit

deviatesfish
July 22nd, 2013, 12:25 PM
One Studio --> MultiStudio Drifting!

Just make the costs a lot more doubly expensive but increase upkeep a bit and lower your production speed for both or lower management efficiency, or something like that. Make it possible, but with slight downsides. And maybe a base cost to start this and it has to be a researched ability or one that comes in later eras when people are figuring out better accounting tricks.

Bloble
July 23rd, 2013, 05:53 PM
What about 'unique' staff with special abilities outside the norm? As an example, Itano, the guy who came up with the Itano circus, or Tomino for all those Kill 'Em All Gundams.

July 29th, 2013, 08:12 AM
^Dunno yet, I'll figure it out eventually.

Anyways, some more ideas.

Eventually I'll be adding in random events. generally beneficial. For example:
Movie/OVA Deal
Manga/Light Novel side story/Video Game deal for one of your original anime series
If you made a shit adaptation, another studio might be willing to buy the license off you. if they do, you get bonus cash and some positive rep.
Overseas Dub (risky)
Cult Classic (bonus cash and rep every season as long as you keep reprinting)
Eventually you'll have simulcasting and internet streaming opportunities too.

Something I'll add in after I finish the main body of the game (If I want to/find it feasible) is internet boards.
Reviews in the format of 4chan's /a/ that vary each season depending on the quality of whatever you release. Stuff along the lines of "Based studio is saving anime" or "studio is riding a cash cow and stickign with its moeshit" or something.

Petrikow
July 29th, 2013, 12:29 PM
"<studio> finds a way"

I3uster
July 29th, 2013, 12:35 PM
"<studio> was called niwaka shit by an anonymous message board user. Your head animator killed himself as result."

Petrikow
July 29th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Freelance animators should be a thing since they're a thing.

Also using outsourced Koreans as animators. This should significantly speed up production but make it look like shit.

I3uster
July 29th, 2013, 01:21 PM
Not necessarily make it look like shit, just add needless Korean stuff in your shows, if you abuse it too much anonymous message boards accuse you of being korean cultural invasion supporters.

Arch-Magos Winter
July 29th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Image board random events should be fun.

"An English Image Board has declared your anime shit. No one cares, aside from a few of them."

VasilikiHaidee
May 18th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Uhm. Is this still on-going.

This is really interesting.

May 27th, 2015, 01:57 AM
My 3rd year of college ended up being significantly more difficult than I had anticipated so I shelved this

might try my hand at it again while looking for jobs

Renko
May 28th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Awwww.....

To think that I will finally feel the hardships of an animu studio.

Hen_Ichi
May 30th, 2015, 11:55 AM
? (http://kairosoft.wikia.com/wiki/Anime_Studio_Story)

May 31st, 2015, 03:44 AM
goddammit, I should have worked on it last summer

Hen_Ichi
June 1st, 2015, 01:08 PM
Just sets a benchmark for you to annihilate ;)