PDA

View Full Version : Chicago school bans homemade lunches

KENTA
April 17th, 2011, 06:26 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110411/us_yblog_thelookout/chicago-school-bans-homemade-lunches-the-latest-in-national-food-fight

This....who thinks this is a good idea? At the very least, if you're going to do this, make the lunches free.

Tobias
April 17th, 2011, 06:28 PM
Oh you have got to be kidding....

Jase
April 17th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Lol, you guys might as well just be a nanny state at this rate.

It'll only continue to be painful to have this conflict of policy exist.

MZeroX
April 17th, 2011, 06:35 PM
the fuck...?

is their food free, then? The schools I went to, we had to pay for cafeteria food, so I always brought my own lunch because my family honestly could not afford cafeteria food. This is kind of making it harder on poor families unless it's free.

KENTA
April 17th, 2011, 06:38 PM
The food is not free, it's $2.50 a day.

MZeroX
April 17th, 2011, 06:42 PM
That's so stupid. You can make that 12.50 per week go so much longer than a week if you were allowed to bring your own lunch and spent it on the right food items. This is just forcing the opportunities of lower class students even further away.

lantzblades
April 17th, 2011, 06:42 PM
wow tis bullshit of the highest caliber.

Marth
April 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
At least at my old highschool we could get reduced lunch fees if we qualified. And even if not, homemade lunches were actually encouraged.

lilithsama
April 17th, 2011, 06:51 PM
well most schools do have afree/reduced lunch option for families
however, this is just f*cking retarded

most of the brought/homemade lunches i've seen IN ALL OF MY SCHOOLING have been SO MUCH healthier than f*cking school lunch
and not made of government horrible-tasting shit

Marth
April 17th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Speaking of school food, I always liked the breakfasts we had. Toast/cereal. Simple and hard to fuck up.

ItsaRandomUsername
April 17th, 2011, 07:10 PM
What the hell.

Mike1984
April 17th, 2011, 07:26 PM
At least at my old highschool we could get reduced lunch fees if we qualified. And even if not, homemade lunches were actually encouraged.

Well, they have free meals for poor kids, but it's still ridiculous to basically force kids to pay for meals if they're not elegible for those.

Theocrass
April 17th, 2011, 07:50 PM
My school's cafeteria is rented out to a caterer. You have to pay yourself, but lunches from home are encouraged. It's just the food, while incredibly delicious/high quality, is also terribly unhealthy for you. Lot's of guys get really fat.

Marth
April 17th, 2011, 08:00 PM
^ Urgh.

I'll take my homemade stuff, thanks. :p

Theocrass
April 17th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I put on 30 pounds freshman year, and it took me a while to lose them.

Marth
April 17th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Whoa... 0_o

Lavender
April 17th, 2011, 08:50 PM
Well, they have free meals for poor kids, but it's still ridiculous to basically force kids to pay for meals if they're not elegible for those.

Brings in that school revenue.

Though their intentions may be publicised as admirable, in practice it is obviously poor and far too restricting.

I am much supportive of schools eliminating unhealthy aspects of their own menu, such as trashing vending machines and revising their cafeteria, though not for them dictating home brought lunches.

Way too extreme.

Theocrass
April 17th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Hash browns, pizza, roast beef sandwiches, curly fries, corn dogs, hot dogs, burgers, chips, soda, BBQ chicken drumsticks, pasta bowls, meatball sandwiches, quesodillas, super nachos, and tacos ... Those are the kinds of things my cafeteria sells.

Is it any wonder people gain weight so easily at my school?

Lavender
April 17th, 2011, 08:55 PM
It is pretty terrible. Growing up, my cafeterias were pretty much the same.

Though in some cases, it can be even worse. Think of those schools who are sponsored by corporations to make up for budget problems.

McDonald's for lunch.

Every day.

Theocrass
April 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM
That sounds pretty horrifying. Not that I mind McDonalds, but I rarely eat it.

The only thing that kept me from turning into a ball of dough is my oath to never grow more than one chin.

Marth
April 17th, 2011, 09:10 PM
A good resolution, that.

I find myself gaining weight and I shudder. I'm a thin guy anyway, and the fact that my weight gain is now physically noticeable is rather disheartening.

King Rorthur
April 17th, 2011, 09:19 PM
Another reason I can make fun of Chicago. :D

Mike1984
April 17th, 2011, 09:25 PM
Brings in that school revenue.

Exactly. At the expense of the children attending....

Though their intentions may be publicised as admirable, in practice it is obviously poor and far too restricting.

Exactly.

I am much supportive of schools eliminating unhealthy aspects of their own menu, such as trashing vending machines and revising their cafeteria, though not for them dictating home brought lunches.

Way too extreme.

Well, I don't like the idea of them dictating at all, but I can at least accept rules like "no fizzy drinks" and the like, because they have genuine health benefits. This, on the other hand, is a blatent money-grabbing attempt.

Jase
April 17th, 2011, 09:44 PM
What, doesn't Britain have extremely invasive policies like banning vending machines in schools, or exercise requirements for the children?

Cause to be honest. British Columbia thinks that, if you don't have a sheet that says you exercised 150~ hours in your last two years of schooling (must be anaerobic, nonstop 30 minutes per session), you're not deserving of high school certificate, or something :P

Mike1984
April 17th, 2011, 10:01 PM
We have games lessons once a week, which IIRC were about 60 minutes or so long, but they weren't part of any graduation requirement or anything. Some schools are banning vending machines and certain items from lunch boxes now, I think (I left school well before anyone cared about such things, so I never had any such problem), but they're not being stupid about it like the school in the article is....

Kotonoha
April 17th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Cause to be honest. British Columbia thinks that, if you don't have a sheet that says you exercised 150~ hours in your last two years of schooling (must be anaerobic, nonstop 30 minutes per session), you're not deserving of high school certificate, or something :P

We had something like that in high school, you had to do some log of such-and-such hours of different types of exercise over the semester to get the gym credit.

I did no exercise and lied and said that I did.

Also my elementary school(s) didn't even have school lunches or a cafeteria, so the idea of anyone not bringing their own lunch in elementary is strange and foreign to me.

KENTA
April 17th, 2011, 10:07 PM
PE is one thing, and I can sorta understand banning soft drinks, but this is way the fuck too much.

Jase
April 17th, 2011, 10:11 PM
We had something like that in high school, you had to do some log of such-and-such hours of different types of exercise over the semester to get the gym credit.

I did no exercise and lied and said that I did.

Also my elementary school(s) didn't even have school lunches or a cafeteria, so the idea of anyone not bringing their own lunch in elementary is strange and foreign to me.

Yeah, my elementary, everyone just brought their own lunch. There was no school option, except that the school had a cupboard full of apple sauce and crackers for kids who forgot their lunch/isn't getting one, lol.

And yeah, I fabricated my exercise hours. I also fabricated my volunteer/work hours. I just looked the teacher/staff member in the eye and asked them if they were gonna stop a straight A student from graduating.

mewarmo990
April 17th, 2011, 11:15 PM
Politicians and legislators come up with the damnedest ideas regarding education, sometimes. Not just controversial ideas involving differences in teaching philosophy or funding disputes, either - just damned stupid bullshit.

Here in the USA, for example, rather than leaving it to school dress codes and enforcement, Florida legislators are trying to actively pass law against wearing baggy pants because apparently they are a gang/Latino/Black-related fashion. So if you wore baggy pants to school, you would get arrested, not detention, suspended (which wouldn't make sense anyway) or sent to change into your P.E. clothes. California politicians are considering a similar bill.

So if you're a school administrator/principal, now there's pressure on you to turn over kids to the criminal justice system for wearing baggy pants. lolwut.

Theocrass
April 17th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I like cargo pants and they're baggy, so fuck those people. Seriously, I'm offended that the black and Latino styles are lumped in with the gang styles, it feels like they're saying Latinos and Blacks are all gang members. I'm Latino, so that may have something to do with it.

mewarmo990
April 17th, 2011, 11:26 PM
Well, more specifically, because they are perceived as "criminal" styles. It just so happens that plenty of young urban Latinos and Blacks happen to wear those styles, whether they happen to be gang bangers or not.

Probably not cargo pants. They're not that baggy.

This is the baggy they mean.
http://taylorsiluwe.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/sagginmeichunjau.jpg

If successful - belt manufacturers rejoice.

Bargadiel
April 18th, 2011, 12:02 PM
Back on the original topic I think they should still be able to bring their own lunches. =/ I know they still gave the rights to people with allergies or whatever, but honestly I myself never ate school food while I was in HS, unless they make it good; why should I pay for it? It gets cold before I get to sit down, and they raise the prices every year because more and more "poor" people take advantage of the free lunches when they don't really need it. The bit about the school getting revenue from the lunches makes sense, yes; and I do think they need more money, given they put it to good use.

But hey, why doesn't the government/state just give them more money? From what I know, schools are maintained by the local taxpayers right? Isn't it different in other countries? By asking that, I mean that doesn't the government give more money to every school, giving them the same resources so they all meet the standard? I think giving more money to schools is far more important than building another stealth bomber that we never use, yet that in itself is another issue entirely.

mewarmo990
April 19th, 2011, 06:49 PM
When my middle and high schools still brought in catering restaurant foods from outside, I bought lunch at least twice a week. Then some California laws got passed prohibiting this, and I brought homemade lunches (which were always better, anyway) until I had the time and license to drive off-campus for lunch during my senior year.

Maybe the Chicago school is losing money? Or are they actually concerned about nutrition? Seems like a stupid way though, I'm sure they could have come up with better solutions if they let researchers make the decision instead of politicians.

But hey, why doesn't the government/state just give them more money?
Barg, I dunno how it is in Florida (not too good, I hear), but here in California the government literally has no more money (in fact we owe billions). They are really pinching pennies.

Ligerleon89
May 13th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Well, I've already said my words to a fellow youtuber I like to listen too, RantingRamsey.

".......that's absurd on some levels, Just so you know, I've talked to plenty of Mom's friends and they make the most healthiest of lunches to their kids. This is an example of someone trying to act like they know what's best for children, in this case, the school whoever is in charge is thinking that way. They are just letting absurd ideas fill their minds and completely forget that the parents are able to see the line of what the kids should eat for food."

I feel I am right on what I just said about parents being able to see the line of what they think their kids should eat. Not only does this ban spelled BS obviously, but this idea of theirs only provides utter failure of seeing how some students might not be able to pay for their lunch.

SeiKeo
May 13th, 2011, 02:28 PM
wut. Goddamnit, where the hell did they get the right to do this?

Theocrass
May 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Kids can't bring homemade lunches to school.

However, in public schools at least, kids do not have to actually attend.

Sometimes, this country confounds me.

KENTA
May 13th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Actually, they do have to attend. It's against the law, up to a certain age, to not be schooled.

SeiKeo
May 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Actually, they do have to attend. It's against the law, up to a certain age, to not be schooled.

For quite a few schools, you may as well just show up for test days and still pass the course (last I knew, I think).

KENTA
May 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
For every school I've gone to, classwork and attendance make up 80%+ of the grade. It's why I failed Highschool.

MZeroX
May 13th, 2011, 11:38 PM
K-12 around these parts are compulsory, so attendance is actually a pretty big thing. some places have truancy officers that drag you to school if you don't have an excused absence.

jwang
May 15th, 2011, 10:31 AM
This is hilarious. You want to know why the US has so many fat kids? It's because we have no way of enforcing a physical workout regimen in schools. In China (I'm choosing China because I've actually been to school there), the students would have a mid-morning exercise routine daily to keep them limber. Physical education is actually serious business, and you can actually be held back a grade if you don't meet the minimum requirements for the class. Instead of watching "educational" videos (no, watching sports themed movies does NOT make you an Olympic superstar), we're actually expected to run and exercise. Grades are actually based on our performance in the class, rather than some stupid test that tests your sports trivia knowledge. Making PE an actual course that's mandatory and have a minimum standard like science, math, and English would do a lot more for youth obesity than any calorie counting you do for one single meal.

KENTA
May 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM
We had PE every day where I went to school, and at least 3 semesters of PE were required in High School, with 1 semester of Health.

Lavender
May 15th, 2011, 12:12 PM
A minimum standard for English, Science and Math in favour of Physical Education?

...No, thank you.

My high school also had mandatory PE, though it was just one of many mandatory classes required for graduating. And honestly, I do not think the main issue with obesity in the United States is lack of activity. Yes, it is a major factor, but a large part of it is our national diet and what is in our food. By supermarket standards, much of it is processed garbage, hardly nutritious, loaded with sugar, stained with pesticides and filled with artificial ingredients. High fructose corn syrup, for example, seems to be almost everywhere in almost everything, and what one would regularly consider a harmless product has been riddled with tinkering. Even our bread is bleached.

If we want to solve the problem of obesity, we are not going to achieve it just by exercising. We need strong, extensive nutrition programs.

Theocrass
May 15th, 2011, 12:19 PM
As long as I can have red meat, I do not care.

Lavender
May 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Once a week. :P

Theocrass
May 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Why Lavender, why? ;~;

I buy grass-fed beef(which is expensive), I eat it a lot, and I still manage to keep myself at 225. So why do I have to restrict myself? ;_;

SeiKeo
May 15th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Just bear it.

Lavender
May 15th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Oh, good for you! (On the grass-fed beef.)

Though yes, apparently red meat is not very healthy, that is when compared to other meats. Poultry is usually more recommended, fish even more so.

And no, pork is not white, despite what people like to think. It's red.

Theocrass
May 15th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Don't care much for pork, myself.

However, I loooooooove beef and venison~!

I must admit, the only reason I buy grass fed beef is because it tastes so goooooooooooooood~!

@ Leopard: >_>

KENTA
May 15th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I don't care about eating healthy, just let me eat meaty goodness!

Lavender
May 15th, 2011, 12:30 PM
That mentality is also a problem for our country. ;_;

KENTA
May 15th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Yes. But as I've already said, I don't care~

Theocrass
May 15th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Gimme some Kenta!

*Hi-fives*

KENTA
May 15th, 2011, 01:05 PM
*returns high five*

NOW WHERE'S THE CHICKEN?! I SHALL DEVOUR IT!

Ligerleon89
May 15th, 2011, 10:13 PM
*sighs* What are some of these people thinking?

Jase
May 15th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I eat tons of meat. I have no real problems, I'm thin, and for much of my life I've been in the 6 foot range ranging from 115lbs to 180lbs, most of it lower than higher.

So I've been underweight for most of my life, and it's not from a lack of eating either.

I just abstained from processed food. I ate plenty of "unhealthy foods", like steak, bacon, eggs, tons of white rice, etc. But I didn't touch cookies, crackers, candy, soda/pop, processed cheese, cold cuts, etc.

imo that's the way to go with things. Stick with foods that, y'know, rot in a few week's time. It's more annoying and high maintenance, but honestly, things that aren't frozen and have a shelf life of years? That ain't good for you.

Lavender
May 16th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Though do remember that not everyone is gifted with your metabolism, Jase.

When I was younger I used to eat piles upon piles of sweets, but I have been thin my entire life largely because of my vicious metabolism. That does not mean, however, that I should continue doing so just because I can get away with it.

Still, I agree with you on the processed stuff. Often something is wrong with your food when it is vacuum packed and doesn't rot in a week. That is not natural.

Marth
May 16th, 2011, 03:33 AM
I used to eat nearly anything and not gain weight. But three years of less-than-optimal exercise later, and I find myself needing to lose a few pounds. Not much, I could still gain plenty without even looking any different, but it's the thought of it that bothers me. I know I shouldn't have that weight on my gut, yet I do. It may not be much, but if I don't work it off now, it'll snowball rather easily.

Blue
May 16th, 2011, 04:23 AM
One thing I learned upon moving to Tasmania. Walking is good for you. It may not lose you much weight (depending on how heavy you are already), but walking in clean air boosts your immune system and generally makes you healthier. Or so I'd like to believe anyway. Its not horribly hard to not be obese. Being in shape is harder, but getting to a healthy (or healthier) point isn't normally too hard.

Of course this might be slightly hypocritical of me to say since it took me moving out of my country to do all this walking.

Hermitfold
May 16th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Hilarious. Keeping kids healthy my ass, they just want money. Reminds me of something that happening here. High schools are charging students absurd amounts of money for the packages they gets when starting school, which usually contain letters and the bank vouchers they need to pay the school fee. So basically, they were paying the equivalent of US$50 or so, so they could pay more money.

The joy of education.

In-N-Out Double-Double & Animal Fries
May 30th, 2011, 05:03 PM
School food was always terrible for me. From elementary school to highschool, all the school food I've ever eaten, well, at least 90% of it, was burnt pretty badly

luckily, my highschool let seniors eat off-campus but hell, we only got 30 minutes

mewarmo990
June 8th, 2011, 07:49 PM
luckily, my highschool let seniors eat off-campus but hell, we only got 30 minutes

Yeah, this was really lame. Hardly enough time to get food and come back, much less eat it.

Tohno
June 22nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
This would never happen in Japan.

THE DEATH OF BENTO

Tobias
June 22nd, 2011, 08:17 PM
on the other hand, I hear the japanese have come up with a product which is basically the place we were all heading towards with school lunches anyway.

KENTA
June 22nd, 2011, 09:46 PM
I remember the Macaroni at my school would either:

A) Bounce over 6 feet high

or

B) Have cheese on it, and be glued to the floor if dropped

Bloble
June 23rd, 2011, 12:32 AM
At my school the cafeteria food was awesome... but next year the school decided to change things, and now we don't get to fry our french fries. We bake them instead.
That's right. BAKED french fries. And they still want us to call them fried too... even the lunch ladies hate the new menu.

June 23rd, 2011, 12:46 AM
Fuck, why can't they just do what in-n-out does, just fry it in 100% vegetable oil?

Kotonoha
June 23rd, 2011, 05:31 PM
At my school the cafeteria food was awesome... but next year the school decided to change things, and now we don't get to fry our french fries. We bake them instead.
That's right. BAKED french fries. And they still want us to call them fried too... even the lunch ladies hate the new menu.

Oven fries?

THE HORROR!

Hermitfold
June 24th, 2011, 03:12 PM
School food was always terrible for me. From elementary school to highschool, all the school food I've ever eaten, well, at least 90% of it, was burnt pretty badly

We had the same thing at my school, but the local jackass stayed out way too long and then let himself be caught by the vice-principal coming in two hours late. Needless to say, that was the end of that.

Kotonoha
June 29th, 2011, 10:20 AM
What, they confined you to the school for lunch break because one guy cut class?

At my high school it was like "okay it's lunch now, go wherever and then come back in an hour".

Tobias
June 29th, 2011, 10:38 AM
during senior tests they let us out, and we all sprinted to the nearby fast food places, other then that it was eat their best replica of a recent Japanese breakthrough, vending machines, or a brown bag lunch.

KENTA
June 29th, 2011, 06:45 PM
What, they confined you to the school for lunch break because one guy cut class?

At my high school it was like "okay it's lunch now, go wherever and then come back in an hour".

You had an hour? We had 30 minutes....

Kotonoha
June 29th, 2011, 07:37 PM
We had an hour. Awwww yeah.

Tobias
June 29th, 2011, 07:45 PM
We had an hour. Awwww yeah. Jerk.

Bloble
June 30th, 2011, 12:14 PM
We had 1 hour 30 minutes. Woot.

Kotonoha
June 30th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Show-off.

ringlhach
June 30th, 2011, 12:35 PM
We had about forty-five minutes plus a ten minute hallway period to either side... but it was actually lunch for only forty-five minutes. It sucked when you had class, broke for lunch, and then had to go back to class. Most of mine were like that. It didn't suck nearly as badly as when you had first lunch and third switching off, though.

Jase
June 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM
There was never anything to do during lunch for me anyways.

I just spent 30 minutes eating and the last 15 minutes chatting or cramming or rushing an assignment.

Ah, high school.

June 30th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I hate all of you

One of the reasons I kept up parkour my senior year was so I could get to class faster when lunch ended.

I managed to consistently run across the entire freaking school(bought a half mile, it's really long though not very wide) past buildings and obstacles and people and shit in under 2 minutes.

SeiKeo
June 30th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Dang son, you run fast.

Hermitfold
June 30th, 2011, 05:35 PM

Dude was an epic jackass, though. She caught him, and he tried to bullshit her with some super obvious bullshit.

Really, the reason they stopped letting us out was that they were afraid we wouldn't come back...

June 30th, 2011, 05:46 PM
half a mile in 2 minutes isn't that fast

SeiKeo
June 30th, 2011, 05:50 PM

Fast enough.

KENTA
July 2nd, 2011, 09:38 PM
I hate all of you

One of the reasons I kept up parkour my senior year was so I could get to class faster when lunch ended.

I managed to consistently run across the entire freaking school(bought a half mile, it's really long though not very wide) past buildings and obstacles and people and shit in under 2 minutes.

In my school you get Detention for that.

July 2nd, 2011, 10:00 PM
In my school, the campus security rode golf-karts and couldn't keep up with us roof-hopping, they never found out who we were lol

Mcjon01
July 3rd, 2011, 01:17 AM

It is if you keep up the pace for the next half of the mile. Really, really fast in fact. Like, 15 seconds slower than the all-time world record fast.