PDA

View Full Version : Best composer in Fate animes

Napul
September 28th, 2013, 03:03 PM
Between current adaptations, who do you think did the best job?

TomPen94
September 28th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Yuki Kajiura, this isn't even a contest.

Sherrinford
September 28th, 2013, 03:05 PM
I don't even notice the soundtrack that much unless it's a reeeally good track.

terraablaze
September 28th, 2013, 03:06 PM
I choose Kenji Kawai because Fate/Zero had just an okay sound track.

Strife ❤️
September 28th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Kaijura is an amazing composer but Fate definitely is not her best work.

madarra
September 28th, 2013, 03:32 PM
the Fsn remake will lose points with me if it doesnt have Tainaka Saichi sing at least 1 song...

LJ3
September 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
DEEN anime soundtrack by Kawai is probably the most praised thing about it.

It's a little tough to choose, Kenji Kawai and Yuki Kajiura has a lot of stuff I like. Don't know about Prototype soundtrack, and Prisma anime had only two standout songs to me.

Christemo
September 28th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Yuki Kajiura. The F/SN anime music was so unremarkable I didn't notice it 99% of the time.

012yArthur0
September 28th, 2013, 04:06 PM
I would vote for the VN version and Realta Nua from Ps2.

I remember more musics there than the anime,OVA and Fate/Zero respectively.

Ever-Present Feeling (Kienai Omoi), Emiya (Wasn't that good compared to its remixes, really), Light and Darkness (Hikari No Yami) and Mighty Wind are quite awesome.

I also love the "Calm musics" that happen basically whenever it is morning and it isn't some combat/suspense scene. "In the Sunlight" is quite nice (And Kenji Kawaii version is pretty good too.), "Tender Scenery" and "Madder Red Town" are also pretty nostalgic as well.

Is one of my favorite aspects of F/SN. I do say that big part of the enjoyment came from the OST.

SeiKeo
September 28th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Zero is a really bad case of a composer stealing from herself, it's very derivative of not only previous Fate works (allowable) but also Kajiura's own recent works: observe Hans Zimmer in the west, the situation is similar in that there is now a distinct 'Kajiura Sound' which she seems less willing to deviate from.

On the other side of it, though, I don't remember the Deen anime having much that was interesting, that wasn't also a remix or otherwise fairly derivative of the VN. Which I suppose is what people would want.

mAc Chaos
September 28th, 2013, 04:20 PM
FSN had a lot more memorable soundtracks. Partly it is because Fate/Zero's had a much more somber mood, so everything was kind of muted and almost just ambient, but those are the songs we are looking at here.

There were only 1 or 2 songs I really liked out of F/Zs soundtrack but I pretty much liked every single FSN one.

012yArthur0
September 28th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Zero is a really bad case of a composer stealing from herself, it's very derivative of not only previous Fate works (allowable) but also Kajiura's own recent works: observe Hans Zimmer in the west, the situation is similar in that there is now a distinct 'Kajiura Sound' which she seems less willing to deviate from.

On the other side of it, though, I don't remember the Deen anime having much that was interesting, that wasn't also a remix or otherwise fairly derivative of the VN. Which I suppose is what people would want.

Call me stupid if you want, but what do you mean about Kanji stealing from herself? My english is not functioning well today.

mAc Chaos
September 28th, 2013, 04:23 PM
He means reusing the same kinds of songs over and over. Nothing new.

Mcjon01
September 28th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Call me stupid if you want, but what do you mean about Kanji stealing from herself? My english is not functioning well today.

Her new music sounds like her old music.

012yArthur0
September 28th, 2013, 04:24 PM
FSN had a lot more memorable soundtracks. Partly it is because Fate/Zero's had a much more somber mood, so everything was kind of muted and almost just ambient, but those are the songs we are looking at here.

There were only 1 or 2 songs I really liked out of F/Zs soundtrack but I pretty much liked every single FSN one.

You speak for FSN anime or VN? Surely, one is a remix for the another, but still...

KarmaDemon
Would pick VN, but because there's no choice for that, I'm going to have to settle for Zero.

Mcjon01
You speak for FSN anime or VN? Surely, one is a remix for the another, but still...

This topic is only about anime music, so the anime.

mAc Chaos
September 28th, 2013, 04:25 PM
The anime, because that is the composer we are looking at. There is no option for game here. I'm not reducing points if its a remix, just by how enjoyable it is to hear.

012yArthur0
September 28th, 2013, 04:29 PM
The anime, because that is the composer we are looking at. There is no option for game here. I'm not reducing points if its a remix, just by how enjoyable it is to hear.
Oh, I see then. Thanks.

But it isn't a case of "playing safe"? They hired her probably because they liked her music style, so she composed what she knew. Nobody would like her flop with the idea of trying something new.

But in either case, I didn't listen many musics from her, but KnK sounds the best so far to me.

SeiKeo
September 28th, 2013, 04:37 PM
But it isn't a case of "playing safe"? They hired her probably because they liked her music style, so she composed what she knew. Nobody would like her flop with the idea of trying something new.

Conversely I can't really give her much credit for waking up, churning out what they expect her to do, and then cashing her check before dinner. Maybe it doesn't make it bad but it sure doesn't make it that good.

But in either case, I didn't listen many musics from her, but KnK sounds the best so far to me.

Even though KnK is pretty much the beginning of her getting lazy, it isn't bad, yeah - though I think Noir is her standout.

mAc Chaos
September 28th, 2013, 04:39 PM
You should be comparing their creations in the Fate animes though.

Siriel
September 28th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Night of Fate exists, others need not apply.

012yArthur0
September 28th, 2013, 04:48 PM
You should be comparing their creations in the Fate animes though.

I would vote for Kajiura then. Kenji did a good work for the anime, but Fate/Zero Original Soundtracks from the novel is very good.

mAc Chaos
September 28th, 2013, 05:12 PM
That's the novel though. This poll is for the anime.

The novel definitely had different music, much less melted together.

TomPen94
September 28th, 2013, 05:18 PM
I would vote for Kajiura then. Kenji did a good work for the anime, but Fate/Zero Original Soundtracks from the novel is very good.

Kajiura did the Fate/Zero anime...

kay4today
September 28th, 2013, 05:20 PM
I voted for Kajiura for her version of Sword of Promised Victory alone. ​The rest is just a bonus.

Nihilm
September 28th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Yuki Kajiura is amazing, even more so in KnK though imo.

Hen_Ichi
September 28th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Kajiura.

And Kenji Kawai last and can go suck dick.

012yArthur0
September 28th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Kajiura did the Fate/Zero anime...

I meant the sound novel, which has a different OST.

Polly
September 28th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Sword of the Promised Victory remix, Point Zero, This Day and Never Again, Maten, To the Beginning, Let the Stars Fall Down, The Legend...
It's definitely Kajiura, although Kenji also made some great tracks ( Pride of the King of Knights, Fateful Night, etc. )

mAc Chaos
September 28th, 2013, 05:28 PM
My favorite Kajiura song is A Man in Black. I could listen to that all day.

TomPen94
September 28th, 2013, 05:30 PM
I meant the sound novel, which has a different OST.

Did Kajiura do the sound novel?

Sherrinford
September 28th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Well, if you all put it this way... I'll probably vote for Kawai. Mainly because of Eiyuu Oh and Taiko no Deshou (Gilgamesh would be nothing without these two theme songs IMHO) and Tenchi Hou Take.

012yArthur0
September 28th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Did Kajiura do the sound novel?

It didn't?

Going to google for a while.

Nihilm
September 28th, 2013, 05:35 PM
It didn't?

Going to google for a while.

Yuki is an it?

Polly
September 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM
She's a woman, therefore just an object, hence "it".

mAc Chaos
September 28th, 2013, 05:38 PM
This poll would have been more clear if it just said "which anime has the best soundtrack."

- - - Updated - - -

It speaks!

SeiKeo
This poll would have been more clear if it just said "which anime has the best soundtrack."

Yea but then I'd complain he forgot the turkeyhandle.

Nihilm

I have been enlightened on the ways of the woman now.

Polly
September 28th, 2013, 05:39 PM
I have been enlightened on the ways of the woman now.

Do you even sexism?

Nihilm
September 28th, 2013, 05:41 PM
Do you even sexism?

That's the thing where that says men don't have to pay for women's food and open doors for them and stuff right?

SeiKeo
September 28th, 2013, 05:42 PM
I need feminism because people on the internet are too ironic.

012yArthur0
September 28th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Yuki is an it?
Ops, my bad.

She.

My god, I'm making a lot of stupid mistakes.

Daiki
September 28th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Best choice.

Polly
September 28th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Bloody hipster.

Daiki
September 28th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I'm french, I must be beyond commoners' norms.

raygirl
September 28th, 2013, 06:37 PM
Kajura. If her latest work is "lazy" and "derivative", then I can't wait to hear her best work (I think the only other anime that I've heard her music in was .hack, and I only remembered the OP for that)

Nihilm
September 28th, 2013, 06:40 PM
She also composed for KnK and Madoka IIRC

SeiKeo
September 28th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Kajura. If her latest work is "lazy" and "derivative", then I can't wait to hear her best work (I think the only other anime that I've heard her music in was .hack, and I only remembered the OP for that)

Of course you don't think it's lazy, you haven't heard her in almost anything else :V

Polly
September 28th, 2013, 06:42 PM
I've hear her work in Noir, .hack, KnK, Madoka, Zero, Sword Art Online, and I only consider the SAO soundtrack to be "lazy".

Ratman
September 28th, 2013, 07:09 PM
I am going to say Kawai, since Kajiura underperformed in Zero. In particular, for us, seeing what she did with KnK, it's pretty hard to imagine it without her music anymore. The Kara no Kyoukai soundtrack is pretty clearly distinguishable from back then pretty cool but these days incredibly generic stuff like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Y9-V6oyAw).

Now, the second disc of the soundtrack was surprising in how good it was, but it still doesn't beat Kawai as a superior composer, his work had pretty much no track you would want to delete if you were to make your friends listen to it.

Gilgamesh
September 28th, 2013, 08:25 PM
The Fate/Zero soundtrack is not up to the standards of her work on, say, .hack//sign or Kara no Kyoukai, but Kajiura at her worst is still insanely better than any other composer in the industry right now. She's actually like, legitimately my favorite musical artist. So yeah.

Strife ❤️
September 28th, 2013, 08:31 PM

Watch Kara no Kyoukai!

raygirl
September 28th, 2013, 08:38 PM
I have. And Madoka as well. I'll give you that KnK ost is superior, but I still love the F/Z ost

BlackField
September 28th, 2013, 11:46 PM
I voted for Kajiura, mainly because I can remember distinctive songs from the F/Z soundtrack. I can't really remember any songs from the others.

But gotta agree with people who say Kajiura is getting a tad uninspired these days but that particular style is why she is hired for these roles anyway.

ChildOfMike
September 29th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Obviously yuki, my utterly blind fanaticism denies me of all of the other choices

mAc Chaos
September 29th, 2013, 03:36 AM
I voted for Kajiura, mainly because I can remember distinctive songs from the F/Z soundtrack. I can't really remember any songs from the others.

But gotta agree with people who say Kajiura is getting a tad uninspired these days but that particular style is why she is hired for these roles anyway.
Your mind has rotted with time. Go on YouTube and refresh your memory to what you're missing out.

LoyaltL
September 29th, 2013, 04:06 AM
Yuki Kajiura's work in Tsubasa is my favorite.

T-Toh
September 29th, 2013, 04:38 AM
I've always liked Kajiura since I heard her on .hack//SIGN. TBF, Kenji didn't so bad a job with the anime and movie soundtrack. It was OK, but not spectacular or mind-blowing. Admittedly, I could say the same for Kajiura when she did the soundtrack on F/Z, although I did like the native music she came up with for the Alimango Island sequence.

So in the end, Kajiura. :)

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Kajiura did better work with the F/Z soundtrack than Kawaii whose best tracks are remixes.

Both of those aren't really the best works of the respective composers by any means though so I had to put on a lot of filters to come to that conclusion.

Arashi_Leonhart
September 29th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Kajiura edges out Kawai for me, although just barely. I feel like Kajiura made things tie together better as she did with KnK, making certain themes refrain in different ways that gave me shivers (creepified Let the Stars Fall Down when Iri-Angra smiles and the To the Beginning choir in Silver Moon especially). I actually like individual songs from Kawai better, though, like Tokihanatsu Chikara and Kishi Ou no Hokori.

TomPen94
September 29th, 2013, 05:38 AM
I voted for Kajiura, but how come no one voted for the composer of Fate/kaleid liner? That soundtrack is great! Okay, not as great as F/Z, but still...

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 05:39 AM
Because I still need to watch PI, I read the manga so my motivation for that is kinda limited.

TomPen94
September 29th, 2013, 05:41 AM
Because I still need to watch PI, I read the manga so my motivation for that is kinda limited.

Have a little taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvpkHTISx1k

LoyaltL
September 29th, 2013, 05:44 AM
"Kajiuran".

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 06:00 AM
Looked up the composer for PI, he did the Mononoke soundtrack.

I loved that one! Even if it's super muted and shit, but it went along great with the series.

orangetunes
September 29th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Kenji's contribution was the only good thing about DEEN's abbhorent attempt at an adaption, but I voted Kajiura cause come on, it's Kajiura.

ChildOfMike
September 29th, 2013, 06:21 AM
The day yuki kajiura works together with yoko kanno is the day i will eat my shoe due to the awesomeness

orangetunes
September 29th, 2013, 06:30 AM
If they get Kajiura on board for F/SN adaption she needs to do an orchestrated piece for Light and Darkness (assuming we have manry fistu fighto).

Hen_Ichi
September 29th, 2013, 07:36 AM
I wonder what her feelings on remixing someone elses work are though :/

T-Toh
September 29th, 2013, 07:42 AM
If you're talking about Kenji's work, not likely. If you're talking about remixing the original F/SN music, she seemed subtle about it with the Saber vs. Giant Sea Monster sequence. Except it really captured Saber's majesty so I couldn't complain if there was anything strange about it. :)

Hen_Ichi
September 29th, 2013, 07:47 AM
remixing Kawai - Fuck no.

More specifically, I'm wondering what she would think of people wanting Kajiura remixes of the F/SN OST rather than make her own music. Like tying down a creative spirit~

terraablaze
September 29th, 2013, 07:52 AM
Kajiura did better work with the F/Z soundtrack than Kawaii whose best tracks are remixes.

Both of those aren't really the best works of the respective composers by any means though so I had to put on a lot of filters to come to that conclusion.

But the best tracks were Night of Fate and Roar of Heaven and Earth. King of Heroes and Pride of the Knight King were also really good.

T-Toh
September 29th, 2013, 07:57 AM
remixing Kawai - Fuck no.

More specifically, I'm wondering what she would think of people wanting Kajiura remixes of the F/SN OST rather than make her own music. Like tying down a creative spirit~

Ah. ...Nahhh. She wouldn't. You wouldn't, would you, Kajiura-san? I'm findin' that hard to believe!

Seriously, I can't see her agreeing to a remix. It's just polishing something rather than inventing something.

terraablaze
September 29th, 2013, 08:02 AM
She remixed Sword of Promised Victory for Fate/Zero though. Plus I wouldn't really call some of her more recent work inventing anything.

T-Toh
September 29th, 2013, 08:03 AM
I mentioned that already. It was an overtone that didn't follow the melody note for note.

LoyaltL
September 29th, 2013, 08:05 AM
The day yuki kajiura works together with yoko kanno is the day i will eat my shoe due to the awesomeness

Aye! This kind of stuff is literal Musical Orgasm.

terraablaze
September 29th, 2013, 08:12 AM
I mentioned that already. It was an overtone that didn't follow the melody note for note.

Well yeah, it doesn't have to. When you name it the Sword of Promised Victory and people can recognize it's supposed to be the Sword of Promised Victory without being told, then you don't get to claim it's completely original anyway.

Ratman
September 29th, 2013, 08:17 AM
I'd also like to point out that none of the music for anime raises above okayish, KnK included, and the only universally good TM Music is the soundtrack for Meltan.

Maybe you could add Ever After which is good in that you can listen to it on repeat forever, until the day you die, or the remastered Realta Nua soundtrack, which is frankly pretty amazing, but too spread out genre-wise, even if it can't be helped given what it is. Depends on taste, but neither beats MB.

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 08:19 AM
KnK is Kajiura's best work, fite me irl

Ratman
September 29th, 2013, 08:30 AM
I won't, because it's the internet anonymity which allows me to get rid of all my logical inhibitors of behavior, and fully rely on my moral ones, and my heart tells me that the KnK soundtrack, while very authentic and unique, is too spread out and when I've listened to it alone, I've enjoyed it only very little. Paradox Spiral works well as a stand-alone CD, but that's it.

tl;dr I don't have the balls to say Kajiura sucks irl because someone would try to argue with me and that would be annoying

Leftovers
September 29th, 2013, 09:10 AM
TBH, Kajiura's choirs and violins kinda tire my ears when listening to them. They're fine as a backdrop for anime, but nothing special standalone. There are some refreshing tunes in F/Z, but I'll agree with the people who said it felt somewhat like a Hans Zimmer soundtrack. (Somewhat lacking in character maybe. In KnK she generally built around five or so leitmotifs, so the atmosphere felt more distinct and consistent to me.)

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 09:13 AM
Maybe it's just because I fucking love anything breakbeat related. Kajiura's UNTZ UNTZ TISS make me hard.

Polly
September 29th, 2013, 09:18 AM
People who dislike Kajiura are just a bunch of hipsters.

I've got all the KnK soundtracks on my hard drive, and at least half of the songs are good enough for me to have them on my phone/mp3, so it's really all a matter of taste. Yes, her SAO work was an uninspiring cash-in, but the KnK, Zero and Madoka soundtracks ( as well as her older stuff, but it's post-KnK that some accuse her of becoming lazy ) were all brilliant and eargasmic.

SeiKeo
September 29th, 2013, 09:29 AM
KnK is Kajiura's best work, fite me irl

ur rang

Mcjon01
September 29th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Well yeah, it doesn't have to. When you name it the Sword of Promised Victory and people can recognize it's supposed to be the Sword of Promised Victory without being told, then you don't get to claim it's completely original anyway.
ONE DIFFERENT NOTE, NOT A REMIX, KAJIURA'S PURITY IS SAFE

People who dislike Kajiura are just a bunch of hipsters.

I've got all the KnK soundtracks on my hard drive, and at least half of the songs are good enough for me to have them on my phone/mp3, so it's really all a matter of taste. Yes, her SAO work was an uninspiring cash-in, but the KnK, Zero and Madoka soundtracks ( as well as her older stuff, but it's post-KnK that some accuse her of becoming lazy ) were all brilliant and eargasmic.
I don't dislike Kajiura but I literally thought she had reused tracks from Madoka in Fate Zero when I watched it, and I had to listen to the whole Madoka OST just to make sure she didn't.

Seika
September 29th, 2013, 10:08 AM
An onerous task, I'm sure.

Ratman
September 29th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Puella In Somnio becomes really old in the third totally-not-same-because-it's-even-slower version. You either skip it or claw your eyes out.

By the way, the ZIZZ OIST still pwns Kajiura for me. I hip yet?

Seika
September 29th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I've not got the Madoka OST, but given it comes on four discs or something, I assumed McJon kinda had to like it if he was going to sit through it all.

And no, you not hip yet, because the ZIZZ version of Sword of Promised Victory is still my favourite one of them all.

raygirl
September 29th, 2013, 10:42 AM
And no, you not hip yet, because the ZIZZ version of Sword of Promised Victory is still my favourite one of them all.

I second that. The most epic rendition of sword of promised victory ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7sSGmfeajI

Mcjon01
September 29th, 2013, 10:42 AM
More like, skip to quarter, skip to middle, not it, next song. I don't like it that much.

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Madoka OST is real gud. Not best SHAFT OST tho, that goes to this baby and its friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7CQdCvosTQ&hd=1

raygirl
September 29th, 2013, 10:52 AM
More like, skip to quarter, skip to middle, not it, next song. I don't like it that much.

I like the sudden surge of energy that comes in at 0:32, but I see what you mean.

I base my enjoyment of a song by imagining how well it would play in the backdrop of a scene from the anime. This song for example, I'll always imagine it playing in the battle between Rider and Saber Alter in HF for some reason.

Seika
September 29th, 2013, 10:53 AM
He means his method for listening to the PMMM OST.

raygirl
September 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Oh, never mind then.

Strife ❤️
September 29th, 2013, 10:57 AM
I like the Vita RN Promised Victory, it's very similar to the original but sounds better.

LJ3
September 29th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I'd also like to point out that none of the music for anime raises above okayish, KnK included, and the only universally good TM Music is the soundtrack for Meltan.

Maybe you could add Ever After which is good in that you can listen to it on repeat forever, until the day you die, or the remastered Realta Nua soundtrack, which is frankly pretty amazing, but too spread out genre-wise, even if it can't be helped given what it is. Depends on taste, but neither beats MB.

Mahoyo has a great OST. I guess not the most original if that makes or breaks anything, but everything fits so damn well.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the Vita RN Promised Victory, it's very similar to the original but sounds better.

This is practically the truth.

Tepanyakigo
September 29th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Yuki Kajiura. The F/SN anime music was so unremarkable I didn't notice it 99% of the time.

Err... FSN anime was composed by Kawai Kenji

the Fsn remake will lose points with me if it doesnt have Tainaka Saichi sing at least 1 song...

I SO AGREE with you sir!

Tainaka Sachi is a great singer indeed. One of my dreams is to see her working under Kajiura...
Have you watched any of her live performance in youtube? They are fabulously fantastic!

Napul
September 29th, 2013, 12:39 PM
After one day, I must say that the poll results are indeed interesting. But not so much unexpected.

but how come no one voted for the composer of Fate/kaleid liner? That soundtrack is great! Okay, not as great as F/Z, but still...
It's just funny that really no one didn't vote for Katou and Takanashi. Although both are excellent composers and their soundtracks were great, it seems that Kajikura and Kawai really overpowered them. :D

Tainaka Sachi is a great singer indeed. One of my dreams is to see her working under Kajiura...
I'm just curious whether Kajiura will really make a soundtrack for FSN remake.

Seika
September 29th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Tainaka Sachi live is pretty damn good.

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Disillusion is a bad song.

Hen_Ichi
September 29th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Err... FSN anime was composed by Kawai KenjiPrecisely.

Artee
September 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Kajiura Yuki > all the others

Spinach
September 29th, 2013, 01:11 PM

This user has self admitted terrible taste in music.

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Literally lounge music with bored Japanese woman talking over it.

Spinach
September 29th, 2013, 01:27 PM
Have you heard the Tainaka Sachi version you shitlips?

I3uster
September 29th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Slightly less lounge, slightly less being bored.

meh.

(Compare that shit to Another Heaven)

Spinach
September 29th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Yeah because Another Heaven being great means that Disillusion is bad.

012yArthur0
September 29th, 2013, 01:32 PM

The one of the VN Ps2 Realta Nua HF opening?

The opening had a nice beginning scene though.

Siriel
September 29th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah because Another Heaven being great means that Disillusion is bad.

It does.

There is a consistent number of good and great things in the world. When a new product rises to those heights, one of the old ones must be moved into the bad pile.

madarra
September 29th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Err... FSN anime was composed by Kawai Kenji

I SO AGREE with you sir!

Have you watched any of her live performance in youtube? They are fabulously fantastic!

not yet,but her songs are great and i cant really think about FSN or UBW movie without starting to hum one of her songs

TomPen94
September 29th, 2013, 03:37 PM

I wasn't fond of it, but I wouldn't say it's a bad song. I actually liked the Reproduction version.

Though Another Heaven is on a whole different league, no arguing that.

orangetunes
September 29th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Absolutely Disgusting.

Spinach
September 29th, 2013, 03:55 PM
It does.

There is a consistent number of good and great things in the world. When a new product rises to those heights, one of the old ones must be moved into the bad pile.

You're dumb.

raygirl
September 29th, 2013, 04:02 PM
The Spin has spoken

Siriel
September 29th, 2013, 04:55 PM
You're dumb.

Ouch.

Onionne
September 30th, 2013, 03:40 AM
Voted for Yuki Kajiura without a second thought. Sure, her F/Z soundtrack is pretty inferior to her older work (Tsubasa, Noir, .hack/SIGN etc) and there are more atmospheric tracks than I would've liked, but it still sounded good overall.

Kenji Kawai's F/SN score isn't that bad; it has some nice themes too (Unmei no Yoru, Kishi Ou no Hokori, Kizuna, La Sola, etc), but it doesn't work as well as Kajiura's as a standalone OST, and it's not an OST I'd revisit from time to time. Takanashi Yasuharu's a good composer, but nothing in Prototype really stood out to me.

Prisma Illya's OST is actually okay though. Lots of mood-oriented tracks, and some of those battle themes are quite good.

aldeayeah
September 30th, 2013, 04:06 AM
I like Kajiura's style better, but Kawai's FSN OST is full of little gems.

I mean at least 30% of the GAR in the Archer vs Berserker episode was thanks to the soundtrack. And he also made my favorite Gilgamesh theme.

...Exactly to what extent is Kalafina's music written by Kajiura, by the way?

Tepanyakigo
September 30th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Tainaka Sachi live is pretty damn good.

Yey finally someone knows! XD

Literally lounge music with bored Japanese woman talking over it.

err... you really should try to find her live performance somehow...
anyway, try Disillusion on her album as well... It's better IMHO

Napul
September 30th, 2013, 03:45 PM
I'm really curious whether the music for the FSN remake will be composed by Kajiura, or Ufotable will call back Kawai.
By the way, just out of curiosity, if we ever get an adaptation of Fate/hollow ataraxia, Fate/Extra or Fate/Apocrypha, whom would you want as a composer for these titles?

madarra
September 30th, 2013, 03:48 PM
never happening, yoko kanno and Shoji meguro, in order.

TomPen94
September 30th, 2013, 03:49 PM
I'm really curious whether the music for the FSN remake will be composed by Kajiura, or Ufotable will call back Kawai.
By the way, just out of curiosity, if we ever get an adaptation of Fate/hollow ataraxia, Fate/Extra or Fate/Apocrypha, whom would you want as a composer for these titles?

I don't care who it is, as long as they manage to make:

a) awesome original themes;
b) awesome remixes of the themes in the original material.

​It's Kajiura.

Reiu
September 30th, 2013, 03:51 PM
HA has some of my favorite tracks of the Fate franchise (second maybe only to/tied with CCC, excluding adaptations), so someone who's cool with doing remixes. :nasu:

012yArthur0
September 30th, 2013, 05:24 PM
This post makes me want to listen the Tsukihime OST remix.

Make it happen, Nasu.

aldeayeah
September 30th, 2013, 06:42 PM
For some reason, I dig the original Tsukihime soundtrack, and don't like at all the Ever After/Tsukibako version. Stockholm syndrome?

Ossan99
September 30th, 2013, 06:54 PM
@All
I purchased only Kajiura's song which in my ipod from 4 composers.
@aldeayear
If so, you are too much listning Tsukihime Soundtrack. I'm not finished my Tsukibako yet due to MH4 (^^;.

raygirl
October 1st, 2013, 06:05 AM
HA has some of my favorite tracks of the Fate franchise (second maybe only to/tied with CCC, excluding adaptations), so someone who's cool with doing remixes. :nasu:

I'm sorry, but (with an exception of one or two songs) HA had one of the worst soundtracks in a Type Moon game I've ever heard of up to that point. This is especially jarring considering how much of an improvement Kagetsu Tohya's OST was when compared to the original Tsukihime VN, so I see no reason as to the dramatic dip of quality in music for that game.

012yArthur0
October 1st, 2013, 11:54 AM
I'm sorry, but (with an exception of one or two songs) HA had one of the worst soundtracks in a Type Moon game I've ever heard of up to that point. This is especially jarring considering how much of an improvement Kagetsu Tohya's OST was when compared to the original Tsukihime VN, so I see no reason as to the dramatic dip of quality in music for that game.

Sword of Promised Victory got a upgrade in HA though.

raygirl
October 1st, 2013, 12:07 PM
Sword of Promised Victory got a upgrade in HA though.

Hence why I said "an exception of one or two songs"

Mcjon01
October 1st, 2013, 12:10 PM
What about the 50% of the FHA soundtrack that was FSN's soundtrack, completely untouched?

raygirl
October 1st, 2013, 12:13 PM
What about the 50% of the FHA soundtrack that was FSN's soundtrack, completely untouched?

I think you just answered your own question.

90% of the HA original songs are a horrible debauchery of sound, and made sitting through all the slice of life, day scenes of that game a drag

Mcjon01
October 1st, 2013, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't know, I just replaced the Tohsaka Shrine Explanation scene with all the cool scenes and watched them there instead of actually playing the game properly.

Reiu
October 1st, 2013, 12:52 PM
90% of the HA original songs are a horrible debauchery of sound, and made sitting through all the slice of life, day scenes of that game a drag

I wouldn't know either, since I don't sit through them. :P (Heck, I think I might've fast-forwarded through some of them even when I played HA for the first time.)

Most of those SoL scenes aren't actually written by Nasu anyways.

I mostly just really like Caren's theme and hollow and ataraxia. And I seem to remember some of the tracks that play during Bazett and Avenger's segments being fairly decent.

I do kind of want to go back and substitute in cosmic air in one of the scenes in the climax though.

Mcjon01
October 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM
I mean, I have the CCC soundtrack so I could totally do that if I wanted to. Wouldn't know how to make it loop right, though. Replacing music is fun, I changed Mahoyo's opening from sad to hot-blooded by switching the music to Emiya halfway through.

aldeayeah
October 1st, 2013, 01:00 PM
i could live with (even) more epic zts covers myself

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLtDJyuXVqY

next time I play Tsukihime I think I'll be using all the zts remixes from Oblivion

UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ

Reiu
October 1st, 2013, 01:30 PM
I mean, I have the CCC soundtrack so I could totally do that if I wanted to. Wouldn't know how to make it loop right, though. Replacing music is fun, I changed Mahoyo's opening from sad to hot-blooded by switching the music to Emiya halfway through.
This is reminding me of all those F/Z MADs with substituted BGMs and SEs I watched back in the day.

Someone on Nico Nico did make a 30-min loop of cosmic air with that CG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwtscPeCULE

CompositeGNFNR
October 1st, 2013, 02:08 PM
I rather enjoyed Gilgamesh's theme in F/SN anime.

Thryfe
October 1st, 2013, 08:37 PM
Whoever does the music im just hoping Tainaka Saichi does a song or two. Code is my favorite song by far

Tepanyakigo
October 2nd, 2013, 12:17 PM
Whoever does the music im just hoping Tainaka Saichi does a song or two. Code is my favorite song by far

Yes, another pro for Tainaka Sachi XD

hayate
July 4th, 2014, 02:15 AM
Ah, Kajiura Yuki.

From the time that I watched Tsubasa Chronicles, I had no idea how much her soundtrack has evolved and still stayed beautiful. :D

Also, Tainaka Sachi's. It would be great with Kajiura Yuki's take on disillusion.

But then, I still stand on her disillusion 2010 version until someone had made a really beautiful take on it.

SINIB
July 4th, 2014, 02:24 AM
This poll was a thing? Noice, kajura all the fucking way.

mAc Chaos
July 4th, 2014, 02:45 AM
kawai kenji

Kat
July 4th, 2014, 04:06 AM
Kajiura of course.

SINIB
July 4th, 2014, 10:35 AM
Kajiura of course.
Only real choice.

Megas
July 4th, 2014, 11:08 AM
Kawai Kenji

He's just good at what he does.

Plus, I still listen to the Stay Night Anime soundtrack way more than the Zero one.

Heck, the only thing I remember from Zero is "Battle is to the Strong"

That and even outside the fate anime, I tend to prefer Kenji. Ranma's OST is still catchy to me.

Rafflesiac
July 4th, 2014, 11:18 AM
Gonna have to go with Kajiura.

I loved the Zero soundtrack, and later found out she did the Tsuaba soundtrack too, which was always one of my favorites.

koyuukekkai
July 4th, 2014, 10:19 PM
I like Kajiura, but she has been doing pretty much the same thing for a while.
If things could turn out this way, I'd like Kenji Kawai to be in the remake rather than Kajiura.

Also, my ears have grown totally biased for dis illusion, Fate wouldn't be the same thing without a remix somewhere in it, Kajiura would just run her music factory and add some feminine voices to complete her stuff without much care.

Kat
July 5th, 2014, 03:38 AM
Only real choice.

Nah, whoever did soundtrack to Ataraxia did good job too.

UnlimitedBladeWorks
July 5th, 2014, 04:09 AM
The Ataraxia OST really does fit the mood of the game its really good

bahamut zero
July 5th, 2014, 04:12 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsBETzEsKE

best fate song

Kat
July 5th, 2014, 04:31 AM
I like Avengers OST track.

terraablaze
July 5th, 2014, 09:49 AM
I know we only have 15 minutes and I didn't even vote for him, but it's a shame more people aren't voting for Takanashi Yasuharu. The soundtrack to Fate/Prototype was one of the best parts. Would definitely be interested in hearing a full OST from the parallel timeline in which Fate/Prototype got an anime.

Instead a bunch of people with pleb taste voted for the most boring Fate OST. Yeah, her other work is great but that doesn't make Fate Zero have amazing music.

SINIB
July 5th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Nah, whoever did soundtrack to Ataraxia did good job too.
Keyword: anime.

- - - Updated - - -

I know we only have 15 minutes and I didn't even vote for him, but it's a shame more people aren't voting for Takanashi Yasuharu. The soundtrack to Fate/Prototype was one of the best parts. Would definitely be interested in hearing a full OST from the parallel timeline in which Fate/Prototype got an anime.

Instead a bunch of people with pleb taste voted for the most boring Fate OST. Yeah, her other work is great but that doesn't make Fate Zero have amazing music.
You're right. Fate/Zero does have amazing music though, so it works out.

francobull3
July 5th, 2014, 10:14 AM
I liked Tatsuya's remix of EMIYA the most...
Prism Illya has some great tracks as well :D

SINIB
July 5th, 2014, 10:51 AM
I liked Tatsuya's remix of EMIYA the most...
Prism Illya has some great tracks as well :D
It does, but zero's was just amazing.

Rygah
August 26th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Yeah gonna have to go with Kajiura. Though I'm terribly biased as 1) I'm a big fan of her work, and 2) without her I probably wouldn't have been introduced to Type-Moon.

Though I really love Kawai's soundtrack as well!

orangetunes
August 27th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Better get ready for Fukasawa to take the title of the best TM animu composer.

Kirby
August 27th, 2014, 10:39 PM
The Mahoyo guy?

orangetunes
August 27th, 2014, 10:42 PM
The Mahoyo guy?
Yup, he's gonna be doing the soundtracks for the UBW and HF adaptations.

Rafflesiac
August 27th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Until he's here I'm sticking with Katou.

Prisma soundtrack TOO. DAMN. GOOD.

Thedoctor
August 28th, 2014, 01:33 AM
Got to go with kaleid liner. That prism emiya Illya theme

orangetunes
August 28th, 2014, 02:34 AM
As of now I have to say that Kaleid Liner > Fate & UBW > Zero.

Dallas
August 28th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I know the cool think would be to go with Stay Night but I'm gonna have to be a loser and go for Zero.

Thedoctor
August 28th, 2014, 04:40 AM
While I did enjoy the kajiura ost in Zero, my favourite work from her is the Madoka Magica soundtrack.

orangetunes
August 28th, 2014, 05:13 AM
While I did enjoy the kajiura ost in Zero, my favourite work from her is the Madoka Magica soundtrack.
If you wanna hear her best then listen to her work for both Cossette no Shouzou and Pandora Hearts :ciel:

Sandstorm77
August 28th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Well for now i have to go with kajiura. We'll see if UBW will change my mind.

Archetype EMIYA
August 28th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Kajiura is the best. No question, no contest, every other modern composer pales before her music.

SINIB
August 28th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Kajiura is the best. No question, no contest, every other modern composer pales before her music.
The mahoyo guy is pretty top

Rygah
August 29th, 2014, 08:46 AM
The mahoyo guy is pretty top

Agreed, I can't wait to hear his UBW soundtrack! Does anyone know if he's also doing HF or is Kajiura doing it?

SINIB
August 29th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Pretty sure he's doing it.

TrienDarkform
September 2nd, 2014, 09:02 PM
Hrm, how did I miss this topic? Chiming in as a soundtrack enthusiast here, since probably 80% of the music in my collection consists of soundtracks.

In terms of overall composition and how well it suits the scenes where the music is used in the anime, my vote would have to be for Kajiura. Yeah, she does have a certain signature style which gets carried over from one series to the next these days, but never does it really seem out of place, at least with how the music is written and placed in conjunction with what's happening visually. She's also one of the few current composer that I pay any attention to these days... not a terribly big fan of the Zimmer-alikes that pervade most soundtrack music these days... but more about that later.

That said, Kawai's 'Pride of the Knight King' is probably one of my favourite tracks ever. Kawai's overall anime soundtrack was pretty good in my books, with a number of tracks which really stood out to me, but as an overall package, Kajiura's work seemed a bit more polished as a soundtrack... but there aren't as many outstanding tracks. I'll still listen to Kawai's F/SN soundtrack on its own, because it tends to hold its own better musically, while I hardly ever listen to the F/Zero soundtrack at all, even if I rate it better as a soundtrack.

Which is the thing I really wanted to bring up though, is that the F/SN anime and F/Zero anime are sort of from different styles/eras of film scoring, which has changed a lot over the years. You see the same trend too in movies and video games, and while the trend seems to be less pervasive in anime, I can still see it happening there... maybe lagging behind by 5 years or so... and that is that the musical score has become much more part of the background, as part of the overall package (of the film, game, whatever), rather than being placed deliberately in the foreground. And a lot of that I think, has to do with the style and demands of the director.

I look at some of the composers who have been in the business for decades... John Williams, James Horner, heck, even Hans Zimmer's been around for a long time now. Compare some of there scores from a couple decades ago with their stuff today, but more importantly, how the director places the music with the scenes it accompanies, and you can see a difference. Today, the trend seems to be, "set the mood, have the music accompany the mood"; while back in the day, there was more of, "have the music make the mood". Granted, I'm speaking in broad generalizations, but soundtracks of today are in general a lot different from soundtracks of years past. The 'problem' with this trend though, for me personally, is I find current soundtracks uninteresting to listen to on their own for the most part, since they function better within the visual scene, and were not intended to stand above it.

I sometimes wonder how much of this is due to advances in filmmaking, in that we have the ability to film things 'better' (with more complicated scenes, better visuals, etc.) these days vs. how they had to make do the best they can in years past, such that music is getting pushed into the background more? Changes in directoral style perhaps, directors wanting to portray their specific vision? I don't think I can definitively answer the question.

So, when I look at how Kajiura's work, or anybody else's, has 'evolved'... or lack thereof... over the years, I do have to ask the question... how much of that is due to the composer (who may or may not be writing things the same because that's what people expect to hear and will buy)... and how much of that is due to the demands of the director, who (often these days it seems), may not want the music to really stand out too much, and (from what I hear from those who write such music for a living) often ask for a certain, specific, sound... which may not give a composer as much leeway to innovate.

SeiKeo
September 2nd, 2014, 09:50 PM
I look at some of the composers who have been in the business for decades... John Williams, James Horner, heck, even Hans Zimmer's been around for a long time now. Compare some of there scores from a couple decades ago with their stuff today, but more importantly, how the director places the music with the scenes it accompanies, and you can see a difference. Today, the trend seems to be, "set the mood, have the music accompany the mood"; while back in the day, there was more of, "have the music make the mood". Granted, I'm speaking in broad generalizations, but soundtracks of today are in general a lot different from soundtracks of years past. The 'problem' with this trend though, for me personally, is I find current soundtracks uninteresting to listen to on their own for the most part, since they function better within the visual scene, and were not intended to stand above it.

How many classic movies actually have soundtracks that stand completely on their own? I get the feeling it's a lot less than we imagine.

Mcjon01
September 2nd, 2014, 10:37 PM
The Great Escape? I've never even seen the movie, but I know the soundtrack.

SINIB
September 3rd, 2014, 12:12 AM
The most classic movies didn't have soundtracks at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck, they didn't even have sound.

SeiKeo
September 3rd, 2014, 12:33 AM
The most classic movies didn't have soundtracks at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Fuck, they didn't even have sound.
Very little of the film canon is silent. Moreover, if you are going to define 'most classic' as most influential (which seems only reasonable), the vast majority of film classics are not silent. What'd that even be: Metropolis, October/Battleship Potemkin, Birth of a Nation, and some of Chaplain's works? Not a whole lot, assuredly.

ItsaRandomUsername
September 3rd, 2014, 12:38 AM
Kajiura's good and all and I like my random choir vocals in just about every track, but it all sounds the same after awhile, and while the /stay night anime's soundtrack is a thing of beauty UBW's drops the ball and sounds so repetitive that it counterbalances Kawai's otherwise great contribution to the anime, so by default alone Tatsuya wins this.

To say nothing of the variety and competency and just plain listenability of Prisma's OST.

TrienDarkform
September 3rd, 2014, 02:48 AM
Well, I wasn't thinking of going back that far in years to the film 'classics'... I was thinking more in terms of scores written within the lifetimes of (most of?) the people here. Start going back further and the style of scoring changes again (and again)... but that's a discussion for another time and thread.

I guess my main point which I sort of rambled around without succinctly stating in my last post is...

...as much as we may or may not prefer the way a particular soundtrack sounds, a certain (and unknown) amount of the fault may not lie with the composer so much as with the director, who may have specific requirements for how they want the music to sound (or heck, even the studio... I've heard of them complaining that the composer wrote too many themes and wanting them cut out).

For example, most of Hans Zimmer's stuff in the last while I've found rather unexciting compared to some of his earlier works, with the odd exception here or there, and he has mentioned in a few places about the limitations that are imposed by the people who oversee the film production (he posts in some of the forums which are frequented by composers, which may range from amateur to professional, which I find quite interesting to read and nice of him to do as well). Reading what he and other composers post, there is a fairly common theme of not being able to be as creative and write what they actually want to write a lot of the time because of the constraints placed on them for the work that they have to do.

koyuukekkai
September 3rd, 2014, 05:21 AM
How many classic movies actually have soundtracks that stand completely on their own? I get the feeling it's a lot less than we imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBf9eRDNB8s

Rygah
September 3rd, 2014, 07:35 AM
Well, I wasn't thinking of going back that far in years to the film 'classics'... I was thinking more in terms of scores written within the lifetimes of (most of?) the people here. Start going back further and the style of scoring changes again (and again)... but that's a discussion for another time and thread.

I guess my main point which I sort of rambled around without succinctly stating in my last post is...

...as much as we may or may not prefer the way a particular soundtrack sounds, a certain (and unknown) amount of the fault may not lie with the composer so much as with the director, who may have specific requirements for how they want the music to sound (or heck, even the studio... I've heard of them complaining that the composer wrote too many themes and wanting them cut out).

For example, most of Hans Zimmer's stuff in the last while I've found rather unexciting compared to some of his earlier works, with the odd exception here or there, and he has mentioned in a few places about the limitations that are imposed by the people who oversee the film production (he posts in some of the forums which are frequented by composers, which may range from amateur to professional, which I find quite interesting to read and nice of him to do as well). Reading what he and other composers post, there is a fairly common theme of not being able to be as creative and write what they actually want to write a lot of the time because of the constraints placed on them for the work that they have to do.

Agreed, I have a feeling Kajiura's going through the same thing. As much as I love her soundtracks, her newer stuff sounds pretty samey. I guess she's just become too well known for producing that particular style of music

aldeayeah
September 3rd, 2014, 09:52 AM

the iconic soundtracks that stand on their own seem to be pretty often from the 70s-80s for some reason

tastytacoman23
September 10th, 2015, 03:54 AM
If Yoko Kanno makes music for a Fate series (hopefully the Heaven's Feel film), she'll make every composer look like they were just hitting a triangle. I would love to hear her own take on EMIYA and Sword of Promised Victory.

Knight of Rebellion13
December 31st, 2015, 04:28 AM
Hideyuki Fukasawa made UBW anime a blockbuster movie for me :p

ZidanReign
December 31st, 2015, 06:44 AM
fuck me lol

TomPen94
December 31st, 2015, 06:52 AM
Necroing posts? Is that possible? Necroing threads I know it's possible... And in any case this thread wasn't started by a banned user, nor did King of Uruk12 direct his comment at a banned user, he just voiced his opinion.

That being said, thread was necroed, but that's not on us to deal with.

Broke
December 31st, 2015, 03:14 PM
Please refrain from Necroing posts, especially posts of those permanently banned.
But Napul isn't banned...

ZidanReign
December 31st, 2015, 04:05 PM
lol I'm an idiot thinking this was a recent posted thread, i get tired

ignore that

Knight of Rebellion13
December 31st, 2015, 11:19 PM
What? What's happening here? Banned user?

TomPen94
January 1st, 2016, 07:56 AM
What? What's happening here? Banned user?

The guy who commented before you is a banned user. That is all. No need to worry.