PDA

View Full Version : Demon souls

lantzblades
April 28th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I checked and i found it's criminal that we don't have a thread for one of the best rpgs out on the current systems. the atmosphere, the online playability and the story in general, plus it doesn't make you a moral good guy by force and there are only two unkillable NPC's in the whole game. And the bosses holy crap.

what kind of stories do you guys have for this fantastic game?

Erlkonig
April 28th, 2011, 03:48 PM
NINTENDO HARD

Chaos Greyblood
April 28th, 2011, 04:53 PM
I don't have the game and since PSN is in deep shit, I can't play with people either. :x

Jase
April 28th, 2011, 04:54 PM
mages OP

KENTA
April 28th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Current game: RANDOOMZ!

Next game: I'm going to punch the Dragon God to death with the power of GOD!

Erlkonig
April 28th, 2011, 05:28 PM
>Play the first level
>Phew, I managed to survive it
>Play the next one
>Get utterly ruined
MOTHERFUCKERS

lantzblades
April 28th, 2011, 05:31 PM
I don't have the game and since PSN is in deep shit, I can't play with people either. :x

there's only one boss i'd recommend fighting with friends as a real benefit that's the boss of 4-1. other then that you can beat all of them easily. the game's 30 bucks now i seriously reccomend it it's the only hard ass game I love to get my ass kicked in.

mages OP

I prefer royals for their low starting level and silver catalyst

KENTA
April 28th, 2011, 05:32 PM
For those new to the game, try to do 2-1/3-1/4-1/5-1 before going to 1-2. And do 2-2 before most other things. And for the love of GOD be careful in 5-2

lantzblades
April 28th, 2011, 06:16 PM
For those new to the game, try to do 2-1/3-1/4-1/5-1 before going to 1-2. And do 2-2 before most other things. And for the love of GOD be careful in 5-2

that really depends on class though doesn't it? knights have a crap time in 2-1 without a proper weapon

KENTA
April 28th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, but getting 2-1 and 2-2 done early is a near must, and x-1 is almost universally easier than x-2.

anamesis
April 28th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I like doing 1-1 and then skipping ahead to 4-1

yeah, you have a bitch time going through it, but once you clear that you are at a decent level such that you can breeze past armor spider in 2-1, and flamelurker is the only one that will really give you any trouble...

FLLLLLLAAAAAAAAME DROOOOOOOOP *smush*

anyone ever attempted to fight that bastard with +5 hands of god? dear god, that is like the most insane battle ever.

KENTA
April 28th, 2011, 08:26 PM
4-1 does a great job of teaching you how important rolling is.

Unless you parry. Then you kill everything.

anamesis
April 28th, 2011, 08:30 PM
it also teaches you to fight without lockon assuming you don't want to lockon to a random manta and attack off a cliff.

also gives you access to a decent bow thatyoucantevenuseproperlyyet D:

KENTA
April 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Going along with lock on, I fucking HATE locking on to skeletons and then killing myself on the cliff.

Neir
April 28th, 2011, 09:06 PM
All you really need is 4-1. Bring some molotovs. Get past the first few skeletons to the castle, turn left, firebomb the SHIT out of the Dual Sword skeleton, pick up Crescent Falchion (magic damage). You're good to go for most enemies in the game.

anamesis
April 28th, 2011, 09:22 PM
Or you could save firebombs and just roll under his leaping deathstab and back stab his ass for massive damage, rinse and repeat.

I mainly use firebombs to rape phalanx, or to taunt miralda into falling down that pit.

Neir
April 28th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I just run into the pit and hope she follows me. Rinse and repeat. Or if you can get to the ladder, you're in good shape.

anamesis
April 28th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I pushed her down one time, because I am forceful like that and her laugh told me she liked it.

but then she died, and I was sad.

Erlkonig
April 28th, 2011, 09:54 PM
I pushed her down one time, because I am forceful like that and her laugh told me she liked it.

but then she died, and I was sad.

I lol'd

Neir
April 28th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Ditto.

Edit: Did it again when I reread it.

Erlkonig
April 28th, 2011, 10:18 PM
But... you got the wrong order!

But then she died, and she started laughing.

BITCH LAUGHS EVEN AFTER SHE'S DEAD NOT COOL DUDE NOT COOL

Neir
April 28th, 2011, 10:29 PM
Bitch laughs ESPECIALLY after she's dead.

Lavender
April 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM
that really depends on class though doesn't it? knights have a crap time in 2-1 without a proper weapon

Hide behind a small edge just after entering the fog to the far right and shoot arrows at Armor Spider. If you hold the right position, you will never take damage.

Probably one of the easiest battles in the entire game. My first character was a Knight as well.

KENTA
April 28th, 2011, 11:01 PM
He might have been talking about regular enemies, who take little damage without magical/fire damage.

Lavender
April 28th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Ah, I misread, lol. ;_; I am sorry.

Still, I didn't think 2-1 was very hard... I think the awkwardly tucked away Fat Officials were those who gave me the most trouble.

Neir
April 29th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Fat Officials are my nightmare. Why do they have so much HP?

There's a Saber in Demon's Souls comic floating around. It's untranslated, but if you've played the game, it's still hilarious.

anamesis
April 29th, 2011, 03:28 AM
God damn red eye knights are what I hate the most, especially the BP ones that spawn outside of King Doran's chamber

and that asshat with the meatcleaver that roams 5-2 ;a;

Lavender
April 29th, 2011, 03:33 AM
5-2 usually takes the cake for psychological horror and dread, though I think the most difficult act for me was my first time in 3-2.

Mainly because of Maneater. I was miserably unprepared and died there more than I think anywhere else in the game.

anamesis
April 29th, 2011, 03:54 AM
3-1 was the most scary for me, what with Rydell and the octopus guards that ate your god damn brains D: and the dreglings that pop out of those coffins...

though 3-1 has my favorite boss in the game, shes so moe~ teehee

KENTA
April 29th, 2011, 04:25 AM
5-2 still gives me nightmares. I have such a hard time with those fucking Giant guys.

Red eye knights are cake compared to them.

Lavender
April 29th, 2011, 04:33 AM
For KENTA:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/6662/1278552014992.png

KENTA
April 29th, 2011, 04:42 AM
YEP! THAT'S WHAT FUCKING HAPPENED TO ME THE FIRST TIME I SAW ONE! FIRE?! NOPE! MAGIC?! NUH UH MOTHERFUCKER! SWORDS? NO FUCKING WAY YOU FUCKING DOUCHEFUCK! WE'RE JUST GONNA FUCKING KILL YOU!

I hate 5-2.....

anamesis
April 29th, 2011, 04:52 AM
I didn't have much trouble with them until NG+++ or higher, then it was just *SMASH* and you're dead if you can't roll

stupid rage inducing swamp...

KENTA
April 29th, 2011, 05:05 AM
It was like that for me....but I was a magic user. And I accidentally ate the soul that gives you Firestorm.

I no longer play that game.

Lavender
April 29th, 2011, 06:32 AM
You quit? :(

KENTA
April 29th, 2011, 07:11 AM
No, just my Royal game. Had a lot of fun, got to NG+ even, but didn't feel like going on with that.

Lavender
April 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Ah, okay.

I was about to scold you!

Hoster
April 29th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I just kept getting knocked down ledges in 5-1 because I was such a noob, came back long after that and kicked the shit out of everything.

I played the game with network connection the entire time, running around like some paranoid bastard, and one playthough during 4-4 someone got summoned as the boss. I could tell that guy meant business, as he had a dagger (probably Baby's Nail) and the Adjudicator's Shield.

lantzblades
April 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
personally my path is 5-1 after leveling my strength as a royal snag the morning star and then leave. go to 4-1 and kill enough of the guys to get a heater shield and snag the compound long bow. get the heater and repeat sacking 4-1 leveling up to use the bow and pushing your str to 30, buy arrows sack the two bp skels and take the shield and sword, kill the vanguard unlock bilge buy arrows from him. kill the dragon in 1-2 then go finish 2-1 and get the kris blade.

then level your magic more and go to 3-1 (do not try to get the knight armour off the pile of dead bodies yet) rescue freke and kill the idol, then exchange her soul for soul ray, and the spider's for fire spray level your int so you can have two spells and take soulray and water veil. now go kill the flame lurker. at this point you should have enough souls to make phanlax's spear and the dozer axe do so then go to 4-1 and beat the adjuctor using arrows or fire spray, once he's dead get a club and get ed to make the meat clever. then go to 1-3 and rescue biorr and yuria and get the tower shield. you are now set for the rest of the game.

katake
April 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I thought it was a really cool game, the only design flaw was that some bosses didn't have short paths to get back to them so I ended up cheesing them with poison cloud or the like rather than trying to fight straight up and having to go through a long level again. Plenty of levels did have proper shortcut unlocks when you hit certain parts of the stage so it wasn't bad, it was just a couple that seemed excessive for how unforgiving boss battles are in the first place.

Hoster
April 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Personally I just went for the full Dark Silver set and the Blueblood sword, and I have enough endurance over to take the Adjucator's Shield if I so desire, but I like using the ripose.

Sure, it's a build with a lot of spread out attributes, but I look fucking awesome...

Neir
April 29th, 2011, 03:51 PM
5-2 still gives me nightmares. I have such a hard time with those fucking Giant guys.

Red eye knights are cake compared to them.

THIS.

Insanity Catalyst, Ring of Magic Sharpness, Kris Blade all equipped, those things are STILL a fucking pain in the ass unless you're somewhere they can't reach you.

Hoster
April 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM
I prefer being long enough a distance away from them to spam them with flaming magic arrows using the Lava bow...

Hurts anything like a son of a bitch.

KENTA
April 29th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Not them. They just shrug it off like you hit them with a dagger. Then they chase you. Oh god do they chase...

Neir
April 29th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Man, even with overpowered Soul Rays and Fire Blasts, they are HARD. I usually have to resort to a Dragon Sword, because they always manage to close to melee.

katake
April 29th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Black Phantom Giant Depraved Ones, 5-2. Yes, annoying as all hell. They 1hko and you have to wail on them forever to even scratch em.

Hoster
April 30th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Not them. They just shrug it off like you hit them with a dagger. Then they chase you. Oh god do they chase...
Are we talking NG+ or above? Because I have at least fought them with the Lava bow in NG+, and in my memory they went down like a bitch before even touching me.

KENTA
April 30th, 2011, 05:48 AM
I'm talking NG. They just kept coming......

Hoster
April 30th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Wait, is New Game the first playthrough and New Game Plus the second, or is the second time called New Game and the third time New Game +?

I don't remember...

KENTA
April 30th, 2011, 06:46 AM
NG, then NG+, then NG++, etc.

Neir
April 30th, 2011, 01:27 PM
NG is first playthrough.

terraablaze
May 10th, 2011, 05:38 PM
Can not seem to find the video anywhere else so: http://www.destructoid.com/your-body-isn-t-ready-for-this-dark-souls-trailer-200811.phtml
Is this the right place for this? I am just going to assume so.

KENTA
May 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM
My body.......will never be ready.

Lavender
May 10th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Ahh, how excited I am.

Thank you for that, terraablaze.

Erlkonig
May 10th, 2011, 08:44 PM
Holy shit my body, soul and mind are not ready!

Mereo Flere
May 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM
That dragon. I want to fight it so bad.

Neir
May 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM
Holy fuck. For a while I thought it was just a trailer for Demon's Souls, then I thought it was new DLC. Now I understand. It better have the Maiden in Black though. She was adorable.

Jesus. My body was not ready for that trailer.

Lavender
May 10th, 2011, 11:05 PM
It better have the Maiden in Black though.

Apparently, it is not related to Demon's Souls.

More so a "spiratual successor."

Neir
May 10th, 2011, 11:07 PM
I don't care. She should be there anyway. Fuck, she can just be standing around doing nothing. That'd be plenty for me.

Lavender
May 11th, 2011, 10:31 PM
http://kotaku.com/5800063/the-dark-souls-collectors-edition-might-be-for-you-softer-players

And only for $60... Though it requires pre-ordering.

terraablaze
September 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pV5r4ePww8&feature=related

Giant wolf with sword.

KENTA
September 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM
Cthulhu skeleton.

RoadBuster
May 7th, 2012, 12:41 PM
For those of you that still play, the worlds will be Pure White until the 15th, and then will switch to Pure Black I believe after that. Severs shut down after the 31st... :(

Hymn of Ragnarok
May 7th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Damn it! I don't have wireless or a convenient internet access to play online, so I've never had the online experience. ;_;

However, if anyone's interested, I am writing a Demon's Souls story for Grail Works over in the fanfic thread. It's been in the planning works for a while, and I'm still lining up plot events, but it's getting out the door. Two (http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/1301-The-Grail-Works-Mission-Dossier-%28Discussion-Ideas%29?p=735424&viewfull=1#post735424) snippets (http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/1301-The-Grail-Works-Mission-Dossier-%28Discussion-Ideas%29?p=738840&viewfull=1#post738840) are already in the Mission Dossier.

That said, it's also a crossover with Vagrant Story. I'm combining the worlds of Vagrant Story and Demon's Souls because they mesh well and I'm an Ashley Riot fanboy. My goal is to write lots of utterly awesome fight scenes, explore the interesting aspects of Demon's Souls, and put the protagonists through as much pain as I can to maximize GAR.

Take a look if you're interested.

mewarmo990
May 8th, 2012, 01:39 AM
For those of you that still play, the worlds will be Pure White until the 15th, and then will switch to Pure Black I believe after that. Severs shut down after the 31st... :(
Sorry, guys. :(

RoadBuster
May 8th, 2012, 01:43 AM
Understandable. You guys aren't Capcom or EA, so it's expected to a degree. Seriously, there was excellent support for the game, so no complaints here.