PDA

View Full Version : Fate/Zero English Dub

TheAldella
March 26th, 2014, 08:26 AM
So, I've only made one topic before, so I'm not sure how to go about this. I hope this is all right! Not a big point to this, really, but how did everyone who's seen this dub for Fate/Zero in its entirety actually feel about it? I liked the cast 80% of the time, and felt a little awkward in others. The only ones I can think of who did a sub-par job were Irisviel's actress and I think Young Sakura, if I remember right. Rin was okay for me, too, and that goes to say that even Irisviel's actress had a few good moments, here and there.
I really loved Kiritsugu as well.
The translation for the show is actually very good, from the 20 or so episodes I watched subbed. (No thanks, first three episodes, you're not on my list of top anime episodes ever.) The only issue I ever had was a Gilgamesh line in the final episode, which completely confused the meaning of a line.

Not focusing on the bottom third of the screen was also pretty cool, and Jameson Price as Rider worked wonderfully.

Anyone else wanna give a shot in the dark?

How you'd have preferred them to go about a certain character? Accents? Terms?

And personally, I prefer command seal over spell. Something about it makes the markings work, I feel.

I actually own the BluRay set with the dub intact, and I'm happy I do, because those last few episodes weren't captured through Neon Alley well at all,
so for rewatching it dubbed, being a subscriber, I'd have to sit around and wait for their schedule to pick up again.

Rowanism
March 26th, 2014, 11:02 AM
It's okay-ish. Am able to watch this without too much cringe.

Unlike the german dub. Holy hell.

I3uster
March 26th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Did they get the same company that did the UBW movie.

jesus christ they used to hire high profile VAs for movies what happened

Knight of Khaos
March 26th, 2014, 11:30 AM
Most of the voices in this I found worked well enough. Specifically I really liked Kiritsugu and Kotomine. The rest were okay for the most part. Only ones I didn't really like were Irisviel and Gilgamesh. The VAs they chose for those two really didn't fit well IMO. Caster wasn't the best but worked and Uryuu was fine, if only because his VA went pretty over the top with it.

Lycodrake
March 26th, 2014, 11:31 AM
...Uryuu was fine, if only because his VA went pretty over the top with it.
Johnny Young Bosch, right?

Knight of Khaos
March 26th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Johnny Young Bosch, right?
Yeah.

chipathy
March 26th, 2014, 12:13 PM
it was alright for the most part. especially kotomine's but goddamn whoever did irisviel's was pretty awful

TomPen94
March 26th, 2014, 01:51 PM
I will probably not gonna watch it. Cuz I spent 2 animes, 1 movie, and one entire VN listening to the Japanese voices. I am too used to them at this point. Any other voice will make me hate whichever dub I'm listening to.

TheAldella
March 27th, 2014, 02:14 AM
I actually liked Gilgamesh. Sure, the vibe he gave wasn't what I expected in comparison to the original actor. Pretty low, too, but his line delivery was awesome.

The Geek
March 27th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Is Gilgamesh at least better than the whiny teenager we got in the DEEN anime's dub?

Kat
March 27th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Who the hell needs dub if you have subtitles?

sjack
March 27th, 2014, 09:11 AM
Who the hell needs dub if you have subtitles?People too lazy to read/people who like to eat soup while watching anime

TheAldella
March 27th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Is Gilgamesh at least better than the whiny teenager we got in the DEEN anime's dub?
He doesn't sound whiny in this dub at all. If anything, he sounds a little Too majestic.

The Geek
March 28th, 2014, 05:18 AM

Sometimes it's nice to not have to stare at the bottom of the screen to understand what's going on.

terraablaze
March 28th, 2014, 07:47 AM
Do you lack peripheral vision? Do you insist on watching all your anime on a movie theater screen while sitting in the front row?

Renko
March 28th, 2014, 08:51 AM

Or people who may have in a number of unknown circumstances cannot read subtitles or follow it properly. Geez...

As for the dub, It was fine.

Though it always depends on the person who is watching it whether they like it or not.

I like Rider's voice though. I expected proper accents though. Like German and English stuff. ;_;

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 09:51 AM
Does anyone thing the dub cast will carry over to the new fate stay night anime?

I3uster
March 28th, 2014, 09:53 AM
In the sense that there are only like 5 English anime VAs and that they will probably all star in.the dub voicing their own kids, yes.

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 10:34 AM
I like dubs for dialoge heavy shows, ie: spice&wolf. It's also easier to understand inflections.

- - - Updated - - -

In the sense that there are only like 5 English anime VAs and that they will probably all star in.the dub voicing their own kids, yes.
I want Crispen Freeman to stay as kieri. He was sick.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you lack peripheral vision? Do you insist on watching all your anime on a movie theater screen while sitting in the front row?
What's wrong with liking hearing the characters speak in their native language?

terraablaze
March 28th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I suppose that might work in the case of an anime where the characters are all from whatever language region you're dubbing it into but that seems like an edge case since most anime is set in Japan with predominately Japanese characters or foreigners who have to speak Japanese at a near native level to navigate the setting.

Mcjon01
March 28th, 2014, 11:17 AM
Wrong their.

terraablaze
March 28th, 2014, 11:25 AM
If that's the case than it's wrong because the vast majority of English dubs are just bad and you should feel bad for preferring them over the original voice track.

chipathy
March 28th, 2014, 11:27 AM
If that's the case than it's wrong because the vast majority of English dubs are just bad and you should feel bad for preferring them over the original voice track.
i only watch dub once i finish the show at least once
and then i usually multi task because i dont have to see to understand whats going on

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 11:41 AM
If that's the case than it's wrong because the vast majority of English dubs are just bad and you should feel bad for preferring them over the original voice track.What about a dub that's good?

Renko
March 28th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Why can't the english dub have proper accents for the servants and masters? I was expecting for Waver to be British and stuff. O_O

Hen_Ichi
March 28th, 2014, 12:02 PM
Thou expecteth too much of dubbery

chipathy
March 28th, 2014, 12:09 PM
Why can't the english dub have proper accents for the servants and masters? I was expecting for Waver to be British and stuff. O_O
baccano

terraablaze
March 28th, 2014, 12:20 PM
What about a dub that's good?

I believe "the exception that proves the rule", is the turn of phrase you are looking for. I would still watch the original voice track first because that's just how I do things. Same reason I prefer my kung fu movies in Chinese.

Inuhanyou
March 28th, 2014, 12:29 PM
That might be too much to ask of voice over houses that only have a limited amount of people and a limited amount of time. Aniplex probably just decided that since the original FSN dub had no accents, FZ should not have them either. Besides, everyone is speaking Japanese regardless of place of origin in the original version anyway, so its not neccisarily required.

As for the quality of the dub itself, its actually quite good. Crispin Freeman does a good job as the main antagonist for once. Kari Wahlgren is good as Saber as well, she managed to get the "regal" feeling of being a King into her voice consistently right, and at the same time get the emotional moments to have impact as well. The other actors put up a really good effort too. The main issue comes earlier in the recording of the series when. they. have. to....write. the. dialogue to match. the. mouth flaps. of the. characters. like. this.

So many unnecessary pauses and unnatural sentences. It gets a lot better as it goes on, but in the first 5 episodes, it was almost comical watching it, its like pausing a VCR and pressing play after almost every half sentence.

I give it a B+

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 12:42 PM
I liked it. Like, alot. Especially rider

Renko
March 28th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Yes I agree, Rider is awesome~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q03ZFwRsofk

(Hope this vid doesn't get deleted....) ;_;

orangetunes
March 28th, 2014, 02:38 PM
The dub is God awful, 6 out of the 7 Masters and Lancer sound like the same dude. I watched the dubbed first ep and it didn't sound like Kirei was speaking but the dude behind the microphone, lines weren't synched well and the execution sucked. Irisviel's corny lines also don't sound right in English as it made me cringe, Saber sounds like a 30 year old woman, Assassin sounds like Goddamn 4kids Yugioh. Also they absolutely ruined Gil, the dub a hot shit.

kay4today
March 28th, 2014, 02:41 PM
The dub is God awful, 6 out of the 7 Masters and Lancer sound like the same dude. I watched the dubbed first ep and it didn't sound like Kirei was speaking but the dude behind the microphone, lines weren't synched well and the execution sucked. Irisviel's corny lines also don't sound right in English as it made me cringe, Saber sounds like a 30 year old woman, Assassin sounds like Goddamn 4kids Yugioh. Also they absolutely ruined Gil, the dub a hot shit.

be my friend

orangetunes
March 28th, 2014, 02:42 PM
be my friend
I-I thought we were already friends.

kay4today
March 28th, 2014, 02:44 PM

Well if we weren't before, now we are.

The scene where Irisviel talks about Excalibur is especially painful in the dub. I actually felt embarrassed hearing it.

Tobias
March 28th, 2014, 02:45 PM

...first time in like, ever, I have heard a legitimate reason to wanna watch fate zero

Renko
March 28th, 2014, 02:50 PM
Or maybe can deter people from watching it. Dunno. Maybe...

I heard a lot of people is OK with the dub. I do agree with Gilgamesh though....

He doesn't sound like a Gilgamesh.

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 02:51 PM
Wow, haters gotta hate indeed. I thought irisviel sounded fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe can deter people from watching it. Dunno. Maybe...

I heard a lot of people is OK with the dub. I do agree with Gilgamesh though....

He doesn't sound like a Gilgamesh.
I thought he sounded fine.

Renko
March 28th, 2014, 02:52 PM

4kids is way more worst than the dub. =_='

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 02:53 PM
4kids ruins everything.

Credit
March 28th, 2014, 02:55 PM

what kay means by friend is tool. Believe me I have firsthand experience ;-;

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah that dub is painful to listen to.

It sounds so cheesy.

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 02:56 PM
what kay means by friend is tool. Believe me I have firsthand experience ;-;

- - - Updated - - -

And yeah that dub is painful to listen to.

It sounds so cheesy.
Does it? I thought it sounded great.

Credit
March 28th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Assassin sounds good.

And Saber and Rider sound okay.

But Gilgamesh and waver sound terrible.

orangetunes
March 28th, 2014, 02:58 PM
The scene where Irisviel talks about Excalibur is especially painful in the dub. I actually felt embarrassed hearing it.
I don't even want to imagine it.

...first time in like, ever, I have heard a legitimate reason to wanna watch fate zeroYou should, yesterday my friend and I were watching that clip posted above yesterday, where the combination of the trio of servants talking about kings and Assassin's voice just made me imagine them saying "King of Games" with each sentence.

terraablaze
March 28th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Does it? I thought it sounded great.

You can't respond to every single criticism with "I liked it." Well, you could. But you shouldn't. At least try and verbalize why you like it so you aren't spamming.

Credit
March 28th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I wonder how shit Saber's EKSSSSSUUUUUU-CALIBAAAAAAAAAH scene sounds in the dub

orangetunes
March 28th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I wonder how shit Saber's EKSSSSSUUUUUU-CALIBAAAAAAAAAH scene sounds in the dub

It sounds appropriately terrible.
(Skip to 17:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=02LjEh7yeUI#t=99 2

Inuhanyou
March 28th, 2014, 03:05 PM
She didn't pronounce it like a Japanese would say Excalibur, she said it the english pronunciation.

It was a good performance, but the thing that got me about that episode in particular was Johnny Young Bosch's performance. That guy...i'm not used to him voicing bad roles. So having him go crazy like that in his final scene was really something.

I also found Caster's performances to always be great when he's on screen. He reminds me of the Japanese dub with how he speaks the lines.

Credit
March 28th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Say what you want about Saber but she sounds ridiculously cool screaming EKSU-CALIBAAAAH!!!!

I watched English Lancer's death scene recently as well.

So fucking terrible.

Inuhanyou
March 28th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Terrible? But he did a really good job. The actor put a lot of rage into that scene i thought. "And when you burn inside the fires of hell, you well remember the name of Diarmuid!!!!".

chipathy
March 28th, 2014, 03:39 PM
do you think english dubs sound bad because we know the language (most people who bash dubs are native english speakers)
like is it vice versa when japs dub something foreigns and everyone in japan says it sounds like shit

terraablaze
March 28th, 2014, 03:47 PM
I3uster bashes English dubs as well. We should get a list of every non native English speaker that hates English dubs.

chipathy
March 28th, 2014, 03:57 PM
I3uster bashes English dubs as well. We should get a list of every non native English speaker that hates English dubs.
ya i just kinda want to confirm
because im pretty sure theres plenty of anime out there that have terrible japanese VAs but we just dont recognize them because we're not familiar with the language

madarra
March 28th, 2014, 03:58 PM
i dont like english dubs as well, but it might just be because japanese sentence structuring is closer to romanian than english...

TheAldella
March 28th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I'll say that, to listen to, I prefer japanese, but for all my feels to resonate, I like myself a professional dub. This dub was one.

Also, I don't quite understand what was meant earlier in the thread about the voice actors not being as good as the UBW cast. Half of them Are those guys. Archer = Kariya, Shinji = Kayneth, Gilgamesh = Lancer, so on and so forth.

Inuhanyou
March 28th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Yeah, i'm not really understanding the complaints. I'm assuming a majority of it is a kneejerk reaction to being used to the Japanese dubs so the english dubs sound weird in comparison. But it really was well done. The Fate Zero dub is much better than the FSN dub years back too. Just watching the Japanese dub and English dub back to back is a treat.

I like how gilgamesh says enuma elish better in the dub than how he says it in the japanese version.

orangetunes
March 28th, 2014, 04:42 PM
The Fate Zero dub is much better than the FSN dub years back too.That really isn't difficult to accomplish.

Kat
March 28th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Non Japanese voice actors can be good, but after listening to few American dubs I am disillusioned about their voice actors. Ironically people in abridged series industry often do it better than professional voice actors. Little Kuriboh Frieza when serious is quite chilling indeed.

Broken Book
March 28th, 2014, 05:40 PM

I liked the voices in Pokemon and Yugioh.

Their translations needed work.

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 07:49 PM
You can't respond to every single criticism with "I liked it." Well, you could. But you shouldn't. At least try and verbalize why you like it so you aren't spamming.
Fair enough, sorry about that.
I like Fate/Zero's dub, because I thought they sounded good. I thought Saber sounded reagel, and all in all Sabery.
I thought Crispen Freeman sounded really cool as Keiri. I felt he did the job sounding menecing pretty well. Also, he has a sick voice.
I thought Gilgamesh's VA did well invoking feelings of his arrogance.
Berserker sounded fine, but all he really did was yell, so that's not too hard.
Waver sounded decent. He wasn't great, but I found him decent enough.
Lancer was fine, he didn't sound bad, he voiced his lines well enough.
I thought Caster was great: Dan woren did an awesome job sounding like a manaicl psycopathic serial killer. Jonny yong bosch was ok as ryonsuke: he didn't nail the voice completely, but he didn't make my ears bleed.
I really liked Kiritsugu's voice, he really sounded mechanical, but when it came time to show emotion, he did it well.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll say that, to listen to, I prefer japanese, but for all my feels to resonate, I like myself a professional dub. This dub was one.

Also, I don't quite understand what was meant earlier in the thread about the voice actors not being as good as the UBW cast. Half of them Are those guys. Archer = Kariya, Shinji = Kayneth, Gilgamesh = Lancer, so on and so forth.
Thank you.
Edit: the banquet of kings was truly awesome. In both the sub and dub

- - - Updated - - -

Say what you want about Saber but she sounds ridiculously cool screaming EKSU-CALIBAAAAH!!!!

You're mad she didn't say Excalibur in engrish? In my opinion, I think that a good dub isn't supposed to sound exactly the same as the original Japanese Va's: they should be trying for their own interpretation of the character. Otherwise, I don't see the point of a dub in the first place.

She said it in English. Whoever did her DEEN dub voice sounded bad. Here, though, she said yelled it, as opposed to just saying "Excalibur."
If you want me to post videos, I will, but as I am posting on my phone, it will have to wait until I get home, and post from my computer.

TheAldella
March 28th, 2014, 07:55 PM
I, for one, actually thought Berserker's screams were better in the dub than in the sub at several points.

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 07:57 PM
I, for one, actually thought Berserker's screams were better in the dub than in the sub at several points.
Same. After all, kyle Herbert is a verteran from the yelliest of yelling anime: he voiced gohan in DBZ. The show where someone passed out during recording because of too much yelling.

Lycodrake
March 28th, 2014, 08:06 PM
I don't like Gil's english va.

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 08:09 PM
I don't like Gil's english va.
Why?

Inuhanyou
March 28th, 2014, 08:14 PM
He sounded like one of those stereotypical rich snobs you hear in media, the snooty haughty kind that either have a lot of money or consider themselves super beautiful. If that's what they were going for they nailed it. I thought it worked alright for what they were going for...he didn't really have to break that character at all throughout the series after all. And what little composure was broken, the voice actor did a good job with the angry parts too

TheAldella
March 28th, 2014, 08:19 PM
I always thought that was just what Gilgamesh was?

Inuhanyou
March 28th, 2014, 08:35 PM
that embodies him yeah. still somewhat annoying. But that may be just because i don't like the character.

SINIB
March 28th, 2014, 08:56 PM
Thats why I'm confused: it's not the VA, that's just gil.

The Geek
March 29th, 2014, 02:16 AM
I think the issue is that both English voices for Gilgamesh really got the arrogant part down pat, but they weren't able to get the charismatic part, so Gil sounds like just a douche instead of a kingly douche.

I don't think Saber's Excalibur scene was particularly good either. The only good Saber VA they've had is Michelle Ruff in the UBW dub.

I just want to say that if they do dub the new anime (which they probably will) then they need to keep Sam Riegel for Shirou, because he's actually really good.

ItsaRandomUsername
March 29th, 2014, 02:20 AM
The upside of an English dub is cheaper DVDs and Blu-Rays and the ability to have options.

Hence, why KnK will always remain inaccessible hipster goodness to the causal anime viewer/low-powerlevel person.

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 02:22 AM
I think the issue is that both English voices for Gilgamesh really got the arrogant part down pat, but they weren't able to get the charismatic part, so Gil sounds like just a douche instead of a kingly douche.

I don't think Saber's Excalibur scene was particularly good either. The only good Saber VA they've had is Michelle Ruff in the UBW dub.

I just want to say that if they do dub the new anime (which they probably will) then they need to keep Sam Riegel for Shirou, because he's actually really good.
I think they should get Lowenthal truthfully. I could see him doing well.

The Geek
March 29th, 2014, 02:57 AM
No. Riegel got Shirou's 'well-intending goofball' schtick down perfectly.

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 03:00 AM
No. Riegel got Shirou's 'well-intending goofball' schtick down perfectly.
I....Yeah, you're right. o o I never noticed before.

The Geek
March 29th, 2014, 03:01 AM
I actually prefer Dub!Shirou to OG!Shirou. *raises shields*

Inuhanyou
March 29th, 2014, 03:49 AM
KnK is just not in a good position. Its not licensed by anybody and has low visibility. I don't necessarily think it has to do with not having a dub, but just not enough people know about it in general.

I think that FZ on the other hand, would do well on Toonami. I don't think there's anything particularly offensive shown that would stop it from being on TV, and since it does have a dub, it would be a good entree point for people who don't even know what Type Moon is.

Most of the people in the dub are old hands at this stuff, so there would not really be much resistance i think. Infact when they first announced a dub, i was sure that meant an eventually tv serialization. Aniplex is charging out the tail for those Blurays, do they even make any profits?

KitsuneKo
March 29th, 2014, 04:04 AM
Tokiomi and Waver had good voices. Maybe equal to the Japanese version?

Berserker was GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR. Truly magnificent.

The rest were inferior to the Japanese versions.

Arashi_Leonhart
March 29th, 2014, 04:04 AM
KnK is just not in a good position. Its not licensed by anybody

Aniplex.

I think that FZ on the other hand, would do well on Toonami. I don't think there's anything particularly offensive shown that would stop it from being on TV, and since it does have a dub, it would be a good entree point for people who don't even know what Type Moon is.

HAHAHAHAHAHA worms raping an underage child in episode one might raise eyebrows to a station that has recolored guns being pointed at minors.

The Geek
March 29th, 2014, 05:01 AM
Most of the people in the dub are old hands at this stuff, so there would not really be much resistance i think. Infact when they first announced a dub, i was sure that meant an eventually tv serialization. Aniplex is charging out the tail for those Blurays, do they even make any profits?

I honestly think that it has more to do with how small the pool of professional anime dub voice actors is. Seriously, any dub, I guarantee at least one character has been in a dub for another show that you've seen or a game you've played. It's like when watching a British movie, you always recognize someone.

Spinach
March 29th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Ironically people in abridged series industry often do it better than professional voice actors.

This has to be a joke.

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly think that it has more to do with how small the pool of professional anime dub voice actors is. Seriously, any dub, I guarantee at least one character has been in a dub for another show that you've seen or a game you've played. It's like when watching a British movie, you always recognize someone.

The exact same thing applies to Japanese voiced anime.

The Geek
March 29th, 2014, 06:34 AM
True.

SINIB
March 29th, 2014, 09:08 AM
KnK is just not in a good position. Its not licensed by anybody and has low visibility. I don't necessarily think it has to do with not having a dub, but just not enough people know about it in general. I think that FZ on the other hand, would do well on Toonami. I don't think there's anything particularly offensive shown that would stop it from being on TV, and since it does have a dub, it would be a good entree point for people who don't even know what Type Moon is.Most of the people in the dub are old hands at this stuff, so there would not really be much resistance i think. Infact when they first announced a dub, i was sure that meant an eventually tv serialization. Aniplex is charging out the tail for those Blurays, do they even make any profits? I bought them on black friday, 40% off

Mashina
March 29th, 2014, 09:39 AM

I think it's more the small pool of decent dub voice actors. There really aren't that many people who, if their voice-acting skills were good enough to earn them parts in well-paid high-budget movies and series, would instead choose to work for small studios trying to dub Japanese cartoons on shoestring budgets. Thinking about it, it's pretty ridiculous to expect any (non high-budget movie) dub to sound even remotely near as good as the original.
Also, most of the dub voice actors have really irritating accents.

Mcjon01
March 29th, 2014, 10:44 AM
I actually prefer Dub!Shirou to OG!Shirou. *raises shields* Original Gangster Shirou?

bahamut zero
March 29th, 2014, 11:52 AM
I like the german dub better.

SINIB
March 29th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I think it's more the small pool of decent dub voice actors. There really aren't that many people who, if their voice-acting skills were good enough to earn them parts in well-paid high-budget movies and series, would instead choose to work for small studios trying to dub Japanese cartoons on shoestring budgets. Thinking about it, it's pretty ridiculous to expect any (non high-budget movie) dub to sound even remotely near as good as the original.Also, most of the dub voice actors have really irritating accents.I know Crispen freeman, and possibly Steve Blum, "do it for the art."

Inuhanyou
March 29th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Aniplex.
HAHAHAHAHAHA worms raping an underage child in episode one might raise eyebrows to a station that has recolored guns being pointed at minors.

"station"? Toonami isn't apart of Cartoon Network and hasn't been for many years. Its apart of Adult Swim now, and they aren't connected anymore(literally, William's Street only shares the channel with CN, they don't have any rights to each other's licenses) . That's even before we get to the fact that the One Piece dub you are referring was done by 4kids, which was altered long before it ever hit airwaves, because 4kids.

Williams Street has allowed many different things in the past including almost rape of faye in the CB movie, so i don't see how implied 'purity' in the Fate Zero dub's words is any worse then that. Its not worse than "energy" being sucked out in Sailor Moon.

Of course going back to the main point i was trying to make, i think FZ would do well considering that the dub was pretty good. It needs more people watching definitely, outside of those who are rich enough to buy the box sets or those savvy enough to wait for sales.

SINIB
March 29th, 2014, 02:54 PM
"station"? Toonami isn't apart of Cartoon Network and hasn't been for many years. Its apart of Adult Swim now, and they aren't connected anymore(literally, William's Street only shares the channel with CN, they don't have any rights to each other's licenses) . That's even before we get to the fact that the One Piece dub you are referring was done by 4kids, which was altered long before it ever hit airwaves, because 4kids.

Williams Street has allowed many different things in the past including almost rape of faye in the CB movie, so i don't see how implied 'purity' in the Fate Zero dub's words is any worse then that. Its not worse than "energy" being sucked out in Sailor Moon.

Of course going back to the main point i was trying to make, i think FZ would do well considering that the dub was pretty good. It needs more people watching definitely, outside of those who are rich enough to buy the box sets or those savvy enough to wait for sales.
You can see it on neon alley.

Inuhanyou
March 29th, 2014, 02:57 PM
Considering i don't know what that is...you might have to give a little more clarification..

SINIB
March 29th, 2014, 02:58 PM
https://www.neonalley.com/

Arashi_Leonhart
March 29th, 2014, 03:09 PM

No. First, Toonami still runs on a shared station, as pointed out, that has rules and regulations regarding what it can and can't air. Faye is a grown woman. America gets twitchy regarding violence and the like toward minors. The series I was referring to was Gundam SEED, which redrew pistols to look like "future guns" only when they were pointed at minors--due to censorship rules. The point being, a series in which children are raped, children are tortured by tentacle monsters that explode out of them, women are strangled (in a very rape-esque scene), children commit patricide, planes are shot down in a terrorist fashion, and a heroine is stabbed at close range very explicitly, then has her neck snapped, then has her neck snapped again...regardless to how edgy your cartoon station is, you're going to look at it as a hard sell compared to, say, kids stuck in a video game.

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 03:12 PM
a heroine is stabbed at close range very explicitly, then has her neck snapped, then has her neck snapped again

Which one was that?

SINIB
March 29th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Which one was that?
I think irisviel

Inuhanyou
March 29th, 2014, 03:26 PM
No. First, Toonami still runs on a shared station, as pointed out, that has rules and regulations regarding what it can and can't air. Faye is a grown woman. America gets twitchy regarding violence and the like toward minors. The series I was referring to was Gundam SEED, which redrew pistols to look like "future guns" only when they were pointed at minors--due to censorship rules. The point being, a series in which children are raped, children are tortured by tentacle monsters that explode out of them, women are strangled (in a very rape-esque scene), children commit patricide, planes are shot down in a terrorist fashion, and a heroine is stabbed at close range very explicitly, then has her neck snapped, then has her neck snapped again...regardless to how edgy your cartoon station is, you're going to look at it as a hard sell compared to, say, kids stuck in a video game.

Gundam Seed was never aired on AS in Toonami's current form, it was aired on Toonami when it was still apart of the CN block, and thus censored for children. Furthermore, a majority of the things you list there have already taken place on numerous series that have aired on AS to start with.

I'm saying that based on that, FZ isn't that hard a sell, especially on a midnight block. The biggest thing you list there, violence against women and children, have already been accepted since Blood+'s shock factor first episode many years ago now. Its not an issue.

*EDIT*

Okay..let me rephrase that. Its not "THAT MUCH" of an issue. They aren't going to showing something like Elfen Lied or anything like that. But there's no particular thing in FZ that hasn't been shown elsewhere on that timeslot.

I mean if you can already show Blue Gender in 2003 which has way more rape implications that FZ has(and a few towards children) on AS, i think it should not be such a big deal for FZ even in the sexual aspect.

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I think irisviel
Oh, I guess I just didn't remember her getting her neck snapped Twice. Alright.

Inuhanyou
March 29th, 2014, 03:37 PM
Once in regards to Kirei and another in illusion form via Kiritsugu i think..

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Once in regards to Kirei and another in illusion form via Kiritsugu i think..
Oh, but that's the grail, not Iri's actual self, I thought.

Kuradora
March 29th, 2014, 04:46 PM
Oh, but that's the grail, not Iri's actual self, I thought.

It's more about what you see than what it actually is.

mAc Chaos
March 29th, 2014, 05:23 PM
What I didn't like about the dub was that everybody sounded the same. They should have kept Kotomine's old dub voice.

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 05:35 PM
What I didn't like about the dub was that everybody sounded the same. They should have kept Kotomine's old dub voice.
But that is the same voice as the english Rider. Then it would conflict, and we wouldn't have him be so amazing.

Inuhanyou
March 29th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Everyone? Even the women? That's not exactly possible you know...

Also, i disagree with the overall statement. If they all had a monotone voice and didn't put any emotion into the performances i could kind of see a point. But all the actors really did put a lot of effort into the individual scenes from my perspective.

For example, when Saber was being emotional, Kari really made it feel like it. When she was fighting lancer the first time, it really felt like a back and forth between two competitive individuals via the tones.

chipathy
March 29th, 2014, 06:44 PM
they probably will
freeman and jouji share several roles surprisingly

- - - Updated - - -

oh you meant his old dub voice, no idea who that is

mAc Chaos
March 29th, 2014, 07:12 PM
its whoever does tager

terraablaze
March 29th, 2014, 07:32 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamieson_Price

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 07:39 PM
its whoever does tager
As I said, if they did that, they'd obviously have changed Rider, since it would've made the dub feel cheaper since reusing actors is a staple of that.

terraablaze
March 29th, 2014, 07:42 PM
What does a character from BlazBlue have to do with anything.

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 07:50 PM
It was a random choice to reply to while I'm assuming still being Jameson Price.

terraablaze
March 29th, 2014, 07:55 PM
I actually have no idea what you are arguing about than. Just to lay down the law, Jamieson Price definitely voiced Kotomine Kirei in Geneon's dub of Fate/Stay Night and also voiced Rider in Aniplex's dub of Fate/Zero.

Spinach
March 29th, 2014, 08:12 PM
should have had him do.his sarthation voice for rider.

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 08:27 PM
I actually have no idea what you are arguing about than. Just to lay down the law, Jamieson Price definitely voiced Kotomine Kirei in Geneon's dub of Fate/Stay Night and also voiced Rider in Aniplex's dub of Fate/Zero.
I understand that. I'm saying that for Kirei's voice to remain the same in Zero, they'd obviously have had to change their casting for Rider, and I wouldn't feel good about that at all.

terraablaze
March 29th, 2014, 08:34 PM
You wouldn't care because you wouldn't have heard Jamieson Price as Rider. I kind of doubt they choose Crispin Freeman as Kotomine Kirei in response to Price already having a part. Knowing Crispin he auditioned for the role because he wanted it, they gave it to him, and when Jamieson came in they had him audtion for other parts and decided he was the best as Rider.

TheAldella
March 29th, 2014, 10:50 PM
You wouldn't care because you wouldn't have heard Jamieson Price as Rider. I kind of doubt they choose Crispin Freeman as Kotomine Kirei in response to Price already having a part. Knowing Crispin he auditioned for the role because he wanted it, they gave it to him, and when Jamieson came in they had him audtion for other parts and decided he was the best as Rider.
I dunno. I can easily see that being the case, but I can't imagine anyone playing Rider in english.

If they Had gotten a better Rider, then sure, go ahead, get Price as Kirei.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't even want to imagine it.

You should, yesterday my friend and I were watching that clip posted above yesterday, where the combination of the trio of servants talking about kings and Assassin's voice just made me imagine them saying "King of Games" with each sentence.
THE GAYMASTER

mAc Chaos
March 30th, 2014, 02:48 AM
His Kotomine in FSN has a different tone than his Rider though. You can easily distinguish them just from how they talk. I'd link a clip but I can't find any. He's pretty relaxed and analytic sounding, while his Rider is enthusiastic and guttural. His Spiral King is pretty close.

TheInfamousMan
March 30th, 2014, 12:00 PM
I wish this was available on ITunes, because the physical copy price is ridiculous.

Mattias
March 30th, 2014, 12:47 PM
I wish this was available on ITunes, because the physical copy price is ridiculous.

I hear you. Went looking for it at my local comic book store, and they had it listed as 120$ for the first 12 episodes. Almost Bakemonogatari levels of ridiculousness (listed at 199$ for the first 15 episodes). I mean, if I really like a show of course I'll buy it, but I'm not willing to drop 300$ for a season of a show I've already seen.

Maybe It'll be cheaper at the con in a few months...

SINIB
March 30th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I hear you. Went looking for it at my local comic book store, and they had it listed as 120$ for the first 12 episodes. Almost Bakemonogatari levels of ridiculousness (listed at 199$ for the first 15 episodes). I mean, if I really like a show of course I'll buy it, but I'm not willing to drop 300$ for a season of a show I've already seen.

You can stream it for free on neon alley. Legally. Dubbed

terraablaze
March 30th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Presumably the purpose of buying it would be the ability to claim ownership now that he's watched it.

TheAldella
March 30th, 2014, 08:03 PM

Heh, that's not that bad, considering. I got my BluRay sets new for 150 a pop.

Mattias
March 30th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Presumably the purpose of buying it would be the ability to claim ownership now that he's watched it.

Essentially. I've seen it, and have it somewhere on an external HD, but I like having physical copies, not only because they don't run the risk of being deleted if my HD crashes, but BD's are a lot easier and more accessible to view on a TV, if I want to watch it with friends or on a larger screen, without the finagling that I currently have to do, hard subbing each episode individually.

SINIB
March 30th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Ahh.

TheInfamousMan
March 30th, 2014, 10:47 PM
My personal rule is that if it's above sixty for either the complete series or season, I'm not touching it.

And I'm only willing to pay that much because that's how much I usually shell out for a new video game. I'm not shelling out $80 for the FIRST PART on DVD, not even for Fate/Zero.

Kinda cheap like that.

BK201
March 31st, 2014, 09:36 AM
My personal rule is that if it's above sixty for either the complete series or season, I'm not touching it.

And I'm only willing to pay that much because that's how much I usually shell out for a new video game. I'm not shelling out $80 for the FIRST PART on DVD, not even for Fate/Zero.

Kinda cheap like that.

That's normal. Rather, it's those that are willing to spend so much that are...abnormal? Or filthy rich.

TheAldella
March 31st, 2014, 12:04 PM
That's normal. Rather, it's those that are willing to spend so much that are...abnormal? Or filthy rich.
In my case, I just have condensed tastes. Dragon Ball and Fate/ are just my forte, so I don't have to worry about buying much else.

Rowanism
April 2nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2CgxM0l0WA

I'll just leave this here.

Check the captions, too.

I3uster
April 2nd, 2014, 07:26 PM
I've seen this in a theater, there was one single midnight showing of it.

Half into the movie people just didn't bother to keep silent and just laughed and loudly chatted because nobody could take that shit dub seriously.

Rowanism
April 2nd, 2014, 07:30 PM
Lancer was really the best one, hands down.

I3uster
April 2nd, 2014, 07:31 PM
I actually liked Kojirou's voice.

Rowanism
April 2nd, 2014, 07:34 PM
Yeah him too.

But this is really Unlimited Mistkerl Works

SINIB
April 2nd, 2014, 07:54 PM

Check the captions, too.
Holy shit that was bad.

Huitante
April 2nd, 2014, 08:23 PM

Check the captions, too.
Wow I like this
It works so well with the visuals
Shinji bit is particularly perfect
If I ever wish to watch UBW movie this dub is my choice.

The Geek
April 2nd, 2014, 08:27 PM
Oh my god. That UBW chant. My sides.

EXCALIBOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Kotonoha
April 2nd, 2014, 08:58 PM
my sarrrrd

excalibooooooooor

Lycodrake
April 2nd, 2014, 09:06 PM
more entertaining than the German Naruto rap

SINIB
April 2nd, 2014, 09:12 PM
my sarrrrd

excalibooooooooor
Truely the dub to watch.

Rafflesiac
April 2nd, 2014, 09:19 PM
Douchebag, douchebag, douchebag, etc.

Super Voice Reverb Hero! Unlimited Blade Works!

The most effeminate bone of a sword of all time.

My sides.

Tuvarkz
April 3rd, 2014, 01:24 AM
That EX-CALIBUR. Terrible. Also, why Rin sounds like she's around 30?

SINIB
April 3rd, 2014, 05:01 AM
That EX-CALIBUR. Terrible. Also, why Rin sounds like she's around 30?
Because why the fuck not? At this point it's just the cherry on the shit Sunday.

TheAldella
April 3rd, 2014, 05:41 AM
Because why the fuck not? At this point it's just the cherry on the shit Sunday.
But if Shirou is indeed the bone of her sarrd, then who are we to judge?

SINIB
April 3rd, 2014, 06:35 AM
But if Shirou is indeed the bone of her sarrd, then who are we to judge?
Exactly.

Solomos
April 3rd, 2014, 07:25 AM
Are you sure Saber didn't say Excalipoor?

bahamut zero
April 3rd, 2014, 08:01 AM

Check the captions, too.

Shirou: Mein Körper besteht aus Schwertern! (My body is made of swords!)
Archer: Möglich. (Possibly.)

cracked my up beyond belief.

But you know that the Fate/zero dub is better than this, right?

SINIB
April 3rd, 2014, 08:59 AM
Shirou: Mein Körper besteht aus Schwertern! (My body is made of swords!)
Archer: Möglich. (Possibly.)

cracked my up beyond belief.

But you know that the Fate/zero dub is better than this, right?
By far. It's good. This is so bad it's good.

Rowanism
April 3rd, 2014, 03:50 PM
He actually says "Unmöglich", aka "impossible."

But the guy is known from various CD Dramas (Hörspiele & Hörbücher), he has a nice voice but his acting is baddddd.

Rafflesiac
April 3rd, 2014, 04:34 PM
I just really liked the "Here comes the King of Heroes!"

SINIB
April 4th, 2014, 12:08 AM
Man, we're sure having a great time here discussing the fate zero dub, arent we? We're definetly on topic.(not that I care, more fun this way)

The Geek
April 4th, 2014, 12:59 AM
Man, we're sure having a great time here discussing the fate zero dub, arent we? We're definetly on topic.(not that I care, more fun this way)

Derails are an essential part of the BL experience.

SINIB
April 4th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Derails are an essential part of the BL experience.
I did say its more fun this way.

bahamut zero
April 4th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Dou you guys want to see clips from the actual german f/z dub?

here you can here the voices of the characters which matter the most, just click on the vids: http://peppermint-anime.de/free-2-watch/free-2-watch-fatezero/

and here, right on top, is the first half of episode 1 for your viewing pleasure: http://peppermint-anime.de/free-2-watch/

SINIB
April 4th, 2014, 11:55 AM
Dou you guys want to see clips from the actual german f/z dub?

here you can here the voices of the characters which matter the most, just click on the vids: http://peppermint-anime.de/free-2-watch/free-2-watch-fatezero/

and here, right on top, is the first half of episode 1 for your viewing pleasure: http://peppermint-anime.de/free-2-watch/
Only if it's as funny as the UBW dub.

TheAldella
April 4th, 2014, 01:20 PM
Can't view it over here.

SINIB
April 4th, 2014, 04:43 PM
Can't view it over here.
You could use a proxy.

LegalLoliLover
April 5th, 2014, 10:30 PM
By the way, wasn't there a blog entry comparing the Fate/zero ending graphics with the original paintings of the heroes?

terraablaze
April 6th, 2014, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure they were all the "original" depictions of each hero but yes ufotable did base the ED sequence off of famous earlier portrayals.

Onionne
April 7th, 2014, 05:10 AM
By the way, wasn't there a blog entry comparing the Fate/zero ending graphics with the original paintings of the heroes?

Not sure about the blog entry, but I found this:
http://i.imgur.com/ms3TKUdl.jpg (http://imgur.com/ms3TKUd)

SINIB
April 7th, 2014, 06:06 AM
Not sure about the blog entry, but I found this:
http://i.imgur.com/ms3TKUdl.jpg (http://imgur.com/ms3TKUd)Pretty cool.

TheInfamousMan
April 20th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Everyone, Fate/Zero along with dub has been added to Netflix. Get marathoning once again.

Rafflesiac
April 20th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Everyone, Fate/Zero along with dub has been added to Netflix. Get marathoning once again.
Shit my free time NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SINIB
April 20th, 2014, 11:56 PM
Nice. Although I already own it.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit my free time NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Been there, done that.

terraablaze
April 21st, 2014, 09:06 AM

That sounds like it would require me to watch the dub. I don't think I could do that unless I was drunk. Or trying to get someone else to watch it. Preferably both.

Kotonoha
April 21st, 2014, 09:12 AM
Netflix generally lets you switch the audio tracks/subs.

SINIB
April 21st, 2014, 11:55 AM
That sounds like it would require me to watch the dub. I don't think I could do that unless I was drunk. Or trying to get someone else to watch it. Preferably both.
It wouldn't, and the dub's good anyway.

Inuhanyou
April 21st, 2014, 12:22 PM
Sometimes i wonder if the people complaining about dubs act so hardcore that they refuse to watch them in any form. That's the only thing i can explain for people actually hating on the FZ dub like this. Its actually quite good.

terraablaze
April 21st, 2014, 12:34 PM
I watch dubs occasionally when they are good, but why would I bother watching a dub with quite a few stinkers when the perfectly serviceable Japanese audio track is available? After hearing Japanese Caster nothing else will fill the void.

TheAldella
April 21st, 2014, 01:37 PM
I watch dubs occasionally when they are good, but why would I bother watching a dub with quite a few stinkers when the perfectly serviceable Japanese audio track is available? After hearing Japanese Caster nothing else will fill the void.
But it's Iiiigoooor

Imperial
April 21st, 2014, 01:59 PM
The only thing about the Zero dub that bothers me is Kirei being recast when his original voice actor is right over there playing Rider.

Crispin Freeman is a great voice actor who brings his A-game every time, but Jamieson Price was the perfect Kirei.

SINIB
April 21st, 2014, 02:02 PM
I watch dubs occasionally when they are good, but why would I bother watching a dub with quite a few stinkers when the perfectly serviceable Japanese audio track is available? After hearing Japanese Caster nothing else will fill the void.Who are the stinkers?

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing about the Zero dub that bothers me is Kirei being recast when his original voice actor is right over there playing Rider.

Crispin Freeman is a great voice actor who brings his A-game every time, but Jamieson Price was the perfect Kirei.
I can't imagine it being as good if anyone else voiced rider. Seriously, rider sounded amazing.

Imperial
April 21st, 2014, 02:26 PM
I can't imagine it being as good if anyone else voiced rider. Seriously, rider sounded amazing.

That is the rub. Price was a fantastic Kirei, but no one does big, hammy, boisterous guy quite like him either. I don't think anyone could have pulled it off nearly as well.

I'll give Freeman credit for doing a great conflicted, young Kirei, so it's not as if I'm horribly put out. It just seems like a bit of a waste and a missed opportunity to see and hear Kirei grow from one type of person to another.

SINIB
April 21st, 2014, 02:35 PM
That is the rub. Price was a fantastic Kirei, but no one does big, hammy, boisterous guy quite like him either. I don't think anyone could have pulled it off nearly as well.

I'll give Freeman credit for doing a great conflicted, young Kirei, so it's not as if I'm horribly put out. It just seems like a bit of a waste and a missed opportunity to see and hear Kirei grow from one type of person to another.
Fair enough.

terraablaze
April 21st, 2014, 02:52 PM
But it's Iiiigoooor
I can't imagine ever caring enough about English Igor (or Japanese Igor for that matter) to prefer him over someone else

Who are the stinkers?

From what I vaguely remember, most of the female cast and Gilgamesh. Everyone else besides Crispin Freeman on bass and Johnny Yong Bosch doing his thing I didn't care about one way or the other really so them not being bad doesn't really factor into my decision. I think Waver bugged me as well but it's been a while.

ItsaRandomUsername
April 21st, 2014, 03:44 PM
It could be worse.

It could be Funimation that transcribed the scripts for dubbing. Their loosey-gooseyness for some works had me flashing back to coke. Re-characterizations and all.

SINIB
April 21st, 2014, 05:13 PM
From what I vaguely remember, most of the female cast and Gilgamesh. Everyone else besides Crispin Freeman on bass and Johnny Yong Bosch doing his thing I didn't care about one way or the other really so them not being bad doesn't really factor into my decision. I think Waver bugged me as well but it's been a while.Hm. Well, agree to disagree?

ItsaRandomUsername
April 21st, 2014, 11:58 PM
JYB and Crispy Free Man are worth the price of admission alone, yes, but when compared to the All-Star A-Rank cast of the subs I find it hard to believe that anyone except anime casuals (not a bad thing, just a descriptor) would prefer to watch /Zero dubbed.

Unless you've already seen it subbed. Then that gives you a pass.

mAc Chaos
April 22nd, 2014, 01:57 AM

My thoughts exactly. When I first heard they dubbed Fate Zero I was excited to hear more Price as Kotomine. Now I am disappoint.

At the same time I can't really think of anyone else as Rider...

Gil's casting choices have always offered mixed results. I wonder if his FSN or FZ VA was a better portrayal? I'm leaning towards FSN.

Also just watched Kotomine and Kiritsugu's final fight. They really do sound the same.

Meh
April 22nd, 2014, 03:20 AM
Biggest complaint about the dub is Iri, Rin, and Illya. Everyone else was ok.

Bosch, Pierce, and Freeman were the reasons I even watched the dub.

Inuhanyou
April 22nd, 2014, 04:08 AM
It could be worse.

It could be Funimation that transcribed the scripts for dubbing. Their loosey-gooseyness for some works had me flashing back to coke. Re-characterizations and all.

Yes, Funi does that in virtually every series they do. I won't say its completely bad as it can work quite well if done right, and freshen up an otherwise lifeless and boring script(YYH, Blue Gender, and Original FMA, which i consider a few of the best dubs of all time, YYH and Blue Gender surpassing the original sub and FMA almost tying)

But other times they do end up just butchering the intent of the original work and just come off as hammy(DBZ, Claymore, Kenichi, and even the new SNK dub which you'd think they'd try and get right with all the hype) It doesn't help that they actually reuse virtually every VA to the point your hearing Christopher Sabat trying as hard as he can not to sound like Piccolo in your sleep.

The seeking seer
April 22nd, 2014, 09:00 AM
Hmm... The Fate/Zero was just fine enough for me, if not great or better...
Well at least Fate/Zero is better than Fate/Stay Night in every possible way...

Rafflesiac
April 22nd, 2014, 09:41 AM
Fate/Zero is better than Fate/Stay Night in every possible way.
Shots fired.

Even if you meant both anime, shots fired.

terraablaze
April 22nd, 2014, 09:44 AM
Maybe if you prefer gun and motorcycle porn.

hinode
April 22nd, 2014, 09:44 AM
JYB and Crispy Free Man are worth the price of admission alone, yes, but when compared to the All-Star A-Rank cast of the subs I find it hard to believe that anyone except anime casuals (not a bad thing, just a descriptor) would prefer to watch /Zero dubbed.

Unless you've already seen it subbed. Then that gives you a pass.

Some people just aren't that good at keeping up with subtitles on screen. My mom always prefers English dubs to subs on the occasions that she watches anime for this reason, although she fares much better with Chinese subs since that's her native language. Admittedly Fate/Zero is not the sort of show she'd enjoy watching, but it has come up with other anime.

This is an almost unheard of situation in otaku circles I'll admit, but the farther you get from hardcore fandom the more likely something like this will spring up.

bahamut zero
April 22nd, 2014, 10:31 AM
Hmm... The Fate/Zero was just fine enough for me, if not great or better...
Well at least Fate/Zero is better than Fate/Stay Night in every possible way...
You got a point there, but can you still say this this coming autumn? we will see.

SINIB
April 22nd, 2014, 01:10 PM
Well at least Fate/Zero is better than Fate/Stay Night(deen) in every possible way...
Fixed.

- - - Updated - - -

You got a point there, but can you still say this this coming autumn? we will see.
No, don't worry I fixed it.

UnlimitedBladeWorks
April 22nd, 2014, 02:15 PM
I love how Ryunosuke and Caster are Yu and Igor

FourthWall
April 22nd, 2014, 02:17 PM
Maybe if you prefer gun and motorcycle porn.

If we're comparing Urobuchi's gun and bike porn to Takeuchi's flesh and blood porn, then F/Z certainly wins out. :nasu:

SINIB
April 22nd, 2014, 02:54 PM
JYB and Crispy Free Man are worth the price of admission alone, yes, but when compared to the All-Star A-Rank cast of the subs I find it hard to believe that anyone except anime casuals (not a bad thing, just a descriptor) would prefer to watch /Zero dubbed.Unless you've already seen it subbed. Then that gives you a pass.I've seen it subbed and dubbed multiple times, and think they are fairly equal, with each having it's merits over the other. The dub also has a all star cast.

- - - Updated - - -

If we're comparing Urobuchi's gun and bike porn to Takeuchi's flesh and blood porn, then F/Z certainly wins out. :nasu:Duh. Is that even a question?

terraablaze
April 22nd, 2014, 03:20 PM
If we're comparing Urobuchi's gun and bike porn to Takeuchi's flesh and blood porn, then F/Z certainly wins out. :nasu:
I was actually thinking of how comparatively dry Gen's description of anything magical tends to be, with the main exception I can think of being Enuma Enlish. Edit: also that's not how you're supposed to use the spinning mushroom emoticon.

The dub also has a all star cast.

Help, he's murdering me with laughter.

SINIB
April 22nd, 2014, 03:23 PM
Help, he's murdering me with laughter.
Ok, seriously, what is your definition of all star?

terraablaze
April 22nd, 2014, 04:31 PM
One made of ALL stars. Since that is the meaning of the word. Also I started to look through the cast list for the English version and lol they reused actors for multiple roles. Such quality. Really it just seems disingenuous when compared to the Japanese casting. There's the two I mentioned earlier and two other voice actors there that I would consider good in major roles.

Meh
April 22nd, 2014, 04:43 PM
How are you supposed to use the spinning mushroom?

@Bdoom It's not all star if Baker, Willingham, and Bailey aren't in it along with Freeman and Bosch. And Steve Blum. And who is Lucien Dodge anyway? What roles did he do before Waver?

terraablaze
April 22nd, 2014, 04:50 PM
There's no prescribed way but preferably you'd only use it while utilizing mushroom like reasoning that borders on psychedelic.

Meh
April 22nd, 2014, 04:52 PM
So, following a statement that I would only make when I feel like screwing with people or if I'm on shrooms?

terraablaze
April 22nd, 2014, 04:56 PM
No, I mean like you're quoting Kinoko Nasu. Most of the time you aren't though feel free to slap it on the end of some truly unique reasoning of his if it ever comes up.

Meh
April 22nd, 2014, 04:57 PM
So, after I use Nasu-logic or something akin to it?

SINIB
April 22nd, 2014, 09:40 PM
One made of ALL stars. Since that is the meaning of the word. Also I started to look through the cast list for the English version and lol they reused actors for multiple roles. Such quality.
So after doing some research, The repeat roles are:
Michelle Ruff: Martha Mackenzie; Aoi Tohsaka.
Micheal Donovan: Risei Kotomine; Matou Zouken
Karen Strassmen: Sola Ui; Assassin(female)

Other than Sola Ui and Risei, the repeats seem to be extras. And although I couldn't find Acht's English Va, I'm pretty sure he is a repeat too. Really, are you impossible to please?

Really it just seems disingenuous when compared to the Japanese casting. There's the two I mentioned earlier and two other voice actors there that I would consider good in major roles.
We have liam o'brian as kairya, George Grant as Lancer, Marc Diraison as Tokiomi, David Vincent as Gilgamesh, Johnny yong Bosch as ryonsuke, mathew Mercer as Kritsugu, along with the two obvious ones.

terraablaze
April 22nd, 2014, 09:52 PM
The fact that there are repeats at all is kind of a point against it when the Japanese did not. And I'm not sure what you think posting the names will accomplish when I clearly looked at a list of all of them earlier. Though I didn't notice until later that Karen Strassman was there. They got her back but didn't have her play Saber again. I mean, I guess you could debate that there are potentially better Sabers out there but she's better than what they picked on top of changing voice actors is annoying to begin with. At least if they're too busy or can't come back for some other reason it makes sense but this is just too much for me.

LegalLoliLover
April 22nd, 2014, 10:04 PM
Karen Strassman never played Arturia. That was Kate Higgins, Michelle Ruff, and Kari Wahlgren. Karen Strassman played Medusa and Aoko.

terraablaze
April 22nd, 2014, 10:05 PM
Guess that shows how much I remember of the original cast. That was all the way back sometime early highschool.

chipathy
April 22nd, 2014, 10:06 PM
rewatched the last 3 eps yesterday in dub
yeah nahhhhhhhhhhhh im not really feeling it. by most dub standards ill say its good but maybe the japanese dub was so good the standards were too high

SINIB
April 23rd, 2014, 12:10 AM
Guess that shows how much I remember of the original cast. That was all the way back sometime early highschool.
Og English saber sucked anyway. I don't really remember UBW saber, but I liked zero saber's voice, she's the first one to do the Excalibur right.

- - - Updated - - -

rewatched the last 3 eps yesterday in dub
yeah nahhhhhhhhhhhh im not really feeling it.
And that's fine. It's your opinion, and I respect it.

Mashina
April 23rd, 2014, 10:59 AM
I'm not going to watch the dub until there's a version where everyone is played by Brian Blessed.

SINIB
April 23rd, 2014, 11:27 AM
I'm not going to watch the dub until there's a version where everyone is played by Brian Blessed.
No, Dan green.

Mashina
April 23rd, 2014, 11:35 AM
I'll allow him one, maybe two characters, but everyone else needs to be Blessed.

SINIB
April 23rd, 2014, 06:45 PM
I'll allow him one, maybe two characters, but everyone else needs to be Blessed.
I want Dan voicing Tokiomi and Irisviel in his yami voice.