PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Canadian federal election

Nerroth
May 3rd, 2011, 01:59 AM
The results are in for the 2011 federal election in Canada (http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/); Conservatives get a majority, the NDP replace the Liberals as the official opposition, the Bloc implode, and the Greens get an MP out in BC.

Not overly thrilled at the kind of bottlenecking the FPTP system causes over here (compared to the multi-member STV system used for the Irish vote earlier this year); or worse, how normal the pundits seem to find it all...

Oh well.

Jase
May 3rd, 2011, 04:20 AM
Majority government.

No election for a full 4 years.

That's several million dollars we won't have to spend in the next 4 years :P

Aristocratic Liberals finally collapse. The BQ that clogged parliament and has been causing chronic minority has evaporated.

NDP, rather than the Conservatives, are the ones that have made massive gains from them.

Voter turn out is back up, from 2008's historic low.

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied, as "scary" as Majority Harper can be. He can have 4 years to finally "prove" himself, without having to play games of Chicken with the Liberals or the BQ. If Harper does well, he does well. If he screws up, NDP is poised to take it all.

I've never really agreed with the politics of any of the parties, so I simply find it satisfying to see political change. After 3~4 elections of complete status quo and ridiculous amounts of elections, I'm looking forward to sitting down and seeing something novel unfold.

Kotonoha
May 11th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I voted for the first time, and decided that even though I wanted to vote for the NDP, they could never succeed so instead I'd vote for a party that wasn't the Conservative party but at least had more of a chance, IE the Liberals.

Derp.

Tobias
May 11th, 2011, 04:17 PM
whats a canadian rightwing like?

Mike1984
May 11th, 2011, 04:22 PM
A Democrat....

Also, wow, you have some seriously big constituencies there....