PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Days - A Reaper's Game (OOC)

Kirby
January 23rd, 2015, 12:29 AM
http://i.imgur.com/zeDfiDu.png?1

Morning rays, hairspray queens (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0viroPHgk)

Get on their way to their nests, to the West (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0viroPHgk)

Honest, they once had a dream (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0viroPHgk)

Belles of society, in the shells of their unity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0viroPHgk)

Cornet 'n spinet, the sound flows, follows till they're home (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0viroPHgk)

Dragged by the power of dreams, that power is yet unknown! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pp0viroPHgk)

100%

The Premise
This is an RP based on the Reaper’s Game from TWEWY, with elements taken from Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. It’s set in the summer months of modern-day Ikebukuro.

So what is the Reaper’s Game?

Long story short, you’ve died recently, for one reason or another. Murder, suicide, disease, and so on. However, you're still not gone yet. Your soul lingered, on the verge of disappearance. A man who called himself a “Reaper” approached you, and offered you a chance to come back to life. You accepted his offer.

Reincarnation isn’t free, however, nor can they just bring back whoever they please, however many people they want. After all, not everyone is worthy of life. To decide on who’s worthy of a second chance, and to weed out those who are better off dead, they play a deadly game. Survive seven days, and your wish just might be granted.

The full rulebook is here, but I’ll abridge it for you in this post. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oFYSm4LNSJijhsXONji4cPWJlWHXlpDJ0azcGbmoRZw/edit?usp=sharing) Many thanks to KT for patiently betaing this for me. Also, note that the rulebook will be periodically updated, when we need it and when new rules and stuff are added or revealed.

Notes for the player’s convenience are located in this doc. (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i30m6XYcD4dKD6gw7VYabnbG-ZfnqBjyeTtc9jxg6bw/edit?usp=sharing) I’ll update it with NPC and enemy data, item descriptions, and so on, but only when they are encountered in-game.

Rules of the Game
A more complete version is in the full rulebook, but a more general, abridged version will be provided for you now:

Participants of the Game are called Players. Their enemy, and administrators of the Game, are called the Reapers.
Players will be assigned missions over the course of the game. Fail the missions, and you die completely: “erasure”. Succeed, and you live to see the next day.
You must form a Pact with another Player, your partner for the Game. You two share your lifeforce. Killing one means killing both.
You are free to break your contract with your partner, regardless of his or her consent, but both of you must, within seventy minutes, either form another Pact or face erasure.
All Players receive a Player Pin, a token of their entry into the Game. It allows you to read the minds of anyone who does not carry a pin, with the exception of Reapers.
Players will receive other pins over the course of the game. These give you the ability to manifest psychic powers, but only when you are bound to another Player.
In most cases, all Players share the same mission. If one pair completes the mission, then all surviving Players may advance to the next day. If no Players complete the mission, all are erased.

If it seems like a bit much, don’t fret. They’ll mostly be explained to you IC, as they become relevant.

Character Creation
Use the template, then PM it to me. Tadaa.

Please try not to focus too much on minmaxing. This battle system hasn’t seen much action yet, so balancing will take place if the situation calls for it. Also, you should know your character’s backstory well enough, because of what exactly the game deals with.

As for what Pins (powers) you can get, there are a set pool of possible pins you can collect throughout the Game. Two will be assigned to you at creation, based on your memento, attributes, elements, and so on. You can request a certain type of power, if you like, and I can give you the closest Pin to that power.

Name: Yup.

Appearance: You can use a faceclaim. Actually, please use a faceclaim.

Background: Personality, history, etc. Please don’t make yourself something weird like a government assassin or a cyborg or a vampire something. Keep it realistic, for now.

Cause of Death: A brief description of how and why you died.

Entry Fee: The one thing that’s the most precious to your character.

Memento: An object you were associated with when you were alive. It’s also your weapon now, congrats. Please keep it small/portable, so like, no cars or grand pianos or anything.

Perk name 1 (Primary)
How your memento is used as a weapon. Doesn’t have to be literally bashing the guy with it, it can be something symbolically related. Allows you to add your own rules to the combat system, to suit your style. Please make it something that makes sense.

Perk name 2 (Secondary 1)
A stat, element, or action bonus, somehow related to your memento. Can also be an effect.

Perk name 3 (Secondary 2)
Another stat, element, or action bonus, somehow related to your memento. Can also be an effect.

Attributes: You get 200 points to spend. At creation, max: 60, min: 10
Strength - Physical power and damage
Endurance - Damage reduction and hardiness
Dexterity - Accuracy, criticals, blocking, things that require physical skill
Agility - Movement speed, evasion, initiative, and so on
Intelligence - Psychic power and damage, and ESP pool
Charisma - Synchronization

Stats are ranked from E to S for a reference point. As you invest points, the stat increases. When you invest enough points, you move to the next rank. Invest 20 in a stat to move up to D, 40 to C, and so on.

E = 10 (Weak Tier): Weak.
D = 20 (Average Tier): Normal, nothing to write home about.
C = 40 (Trained Tier): Quite well-trained, above average.
B = 60 (Ace Tier): Highly trained, highly accomplished.
A = 90 (Peak Human Tier): The best of the best, whether by hard work or talent.
S = 120 (Superhuman Tier): Beyond anything a mundane human can accomplish.

Affinities - choose three elements
Weaknesses - choose three elements
(possible elements: Strike, Pierce, Fire, Water, Electric, Wind, Light, Dark. See rulebook for details)

Player Slots
There will *probably* be eight player slots available at the start, though that can be increased or decreased as we see fit, so long as it’s an even number. Seeing as how every Player needs a partner, you will be partnered up with another player IC. No, you don’t get to choose partners yet. Sheets will be chosen based on quality, probably.

Current Teams:
1. Frantic Author / Siriel
2. Snax / Bloble
3. Arkturus / Jormungandr
4. Katie / Mooncake
5. Virzi / Sakuraba Haru

Even if you don’t get in the first time, don’t fret! After every completed week (and sometimes during the weeks, if it comes to that), slots will open up again, based on the events of the previous week. This leads into our next topic.

Player Death
I don’t plan on being very forgiving with this, mostly because it shouldn’t be too difficult to get back in. Once you die, you die. If everyone dies for some reason, the week is over, and eight slots open all at once. No, dying doesn’t bar you from just trying to reentering. You can’t use the same character that died, no, but you’re free to send in another sheet of a new character.

Also, to keep the pace of the game from dragging to its death, remember you can betray your partner if they don’t post.

Other Notes
The application deadline is whenever I feel like it February 7, probably. It’s not set in stone, and I can make it earlier or later depending on the situation. I will, however, give you a definite warning of the deadline once there’s only a week left.

If you have questions, you can find me on #notes and #regalia. You’ll have to ping me though, or I probably won’t notice. Or, you can just post in this thread. Either or.

Frantic Author
January 23rd, 2015, 12:33 AM
will join

Katie
January 23rd, 2015, 12:34 AM
friendship is here

Mormarth
January 23rd, 2015, 12:44 AM
why the fuck not

RacingeR
January 23rd, 2015, 12:57 AM
Will send sheet.

MssrNeko
January 23rd, 2015, 02:50 AM
Looks interesting. Despite not playing TWEWY, gonna try for this.

Caster
January 23rd, 2015, 05:52 AM
What Neko said. Never played TWEWY, though I always was interested in it. Should be fun. Also, I liked the example characters, was a funny surprise.

Snax
January 23rd, 2015, 05:57 AM
Tentatively interested.
Lets see what fc to use..

hero
January 23rd, 2015, 09:20 AM
Good job with this so far.

Iīll come up with something.

Sakuraba Haru
January 23rd, 2015, 01:22 PM
WATCH THIS TRANSFORMATIONNNNNN

Thedoctor
January 23rd, 2015, 03:39 PM
I might send a sheet.

Airen
January 23rd, 2015, 05:54 PM
Based.

I'll see what I come up with.

Beyond
January 23rd, 2015, 07:58 PM
Interested.

--

Sent my character sheet. Fingers crossed.

Snax
January 23rd, 2015, 09:13 PM
One question that came to mind about the rulebook elements though.

Considering light/dark aren't really damage elements and light is a buff thing and not a damage thing, how would weakness to light work out? Would it mean buffs work better on you instead? If so, it's not really a weakness. If its the other way around, then does it mean enemies buffed by light will get a higher buff when fighting you? That also sounds a bit weird.

Kirby
January 23rd, 2015, 09:24 PM
There are a few light/dark attacks available to players, but it's just that there are a lot rarer than offensive elements. However, enemies don't use Pins, and do use more light/dark element attacks, and standard elemental multiplier apply there.

But mainly, the main weakness part comes in how you can't use pins of elements you're weak to. So, for example, a Light weakness bars you from using Light Pins, which means you're completely incapable of healing yourself.

Kirby
January 24th, 2015, 05:27 PM
An announcement of sorts:

I rewrote the part in the rulebook about HP and how it works, because I might've been a bit vague about it before. But basically, it's this:

You and your partner share a pool of HP. Say partner A has 60/60 HP, and partner B has 75/75, then you have a total of 135/135, which is the value used in battle. If partner A takes damage so he has 45/60, the total is 120/135. If partner A is at 0/60, the total is 75/135, but A can still act. If partner A takes further damage, like 10 damage, it's instead deducted from the partner's HP. A has 0/60, B has 65/75, and the total is 65/135.

So what's the point of having halves? Truth is, the only time it's really relevant is when your pact is broken, and when it gets reformed. So say A and B break the pact, A has 1/60, and B has 65/75, for the duration of the time they are without a partner. If A, with 1/60, forms a pact with C, who has 50/50 HP, they get a pool of 51/110. And so on.

Dunno if I explained that well, but tl;dr: partners share HP. They only die when the entire pool is consumed, and you can still fight with 0 HP. The damage instead gets redirected to your partner.

Siriel
January 24th, 2015, 07:06 PM
I'll submit a sheet sometime soonish.

Mooncake
January 24th, 2015, 07:08 PM
Same.

Nuclear Consensus
January 25th, 2015, 12:18 AM
Same.

Thedoctor
January 25th, 2015, 12:13 PM
Same here

You said players have 70 minutes on them to form a pact, is that IRL minutes?

Kirby
January 25th, 2015, 12:17 PM
No, it's just in-game time.

Caster
January 25th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Same as well, as soon as I can figure out what to do about the memento. I looked into the game a bit so I at least have a rough idea of what they're like, but not sure I can come up with a fun one.

Kirby
January 25th, 2015, 10:07 PM
Same as well, as soon as I can figure out what to do about the memento. I looked into the game a bit so I at least have a rough idea of what they're like, but not sure I can come up with a fun one.
Your memento doesn't have to be anything too unique, so long as it ties into your character. Here, I'm looking for less elaborate powersets or anything like that, but interesting characters, so I'll be paying attention mostly to the backstory and personality, and the entry fee (and how the loss of the entry fee affects the character).

Also, mementos weren't really a thing in the original game. At best, you had Beat who used Shockwave with his skateboard, and Shiki who used her doll as a puppet. And Joshua kinda did something with a cell phone. I mostly just added mementos/perks to make each character more unique.

Siriel
January 26th, 2015, 01:43 AM
What would be the 'average' for someone in a stat? Just to make sure I don't accidentally make my character a cripple or something.

(Or maybe there's no cripple point and I'm overthinking it? I'm too used to D&D and such.)

Kirby
January 26th, 2015, 02:02 AM
Stats are mostly for combat/Underground shenanigans, but 6 is average/normal.

Siriel
January 26th, 2015, 02:04 AM
Alright, thanks.

Caster
January 26th, 2015, 04:29 AM
I figured the doll/skateboard/cell phone was the basis for memento's myself. And I'm kind of hoping to tie the two together. Especially since memento's are important to the character and define their powers kind of. But I suppose I could just leave the memento in a kind of open area in terms of where it comes in and work out what it is later on.

arkturus
January 26th, 2015, 05:57 AM
Man, I remember this game and my naive belief that I could 100% it.
I'd be down to play.

Kirby
January 31st, 2015, 12:18 PM
Just a reminder, but you have only a week left to submit sheets.

Beyond
February 1st, 2015, 09:29 PM
Just a note that I'll still be submitting my edited sheet, but that'll be after February 2 (midterms).

Edit: Scratch that.

Kirby
February 1st, 2015, 09:37 PM
NOTICE: I changed the stat thing up a bit. I updated the OP, but you now have 200 points to spend. Max for a stat is 60, min is 10. Also, stats are ranked now, so you can now know what your stats actually mean.

"Stats are ranked from E to S for a reference point. As you invest points, the stat increases. When you invest enough points, you move to the next rank. Invest 20 in a stat to move up to D, 40 to C, and so on.

E = 10 (Weak Tier): Weak.
D = 20 (Average Tier): Normal, nothing to write home about.
C = 40 (Trained Tier): Quite well-trained, above average.
B = 60 (Ace Tier): Highly trained, highly accomplished.
A = 90 (Peak Human Tier): The best of the best, whether by hard work or talent.
S = 120 (Superhuman Tier): Beyond anything a mundane human can accomplish."

TL;DR: If you're lazy all you really have to do is multiply all your old stats by 5. Also, now you can actually know what your stats are supposed to mean.

Siriel
February 1st, 2015, 09:43 PM
What does this mean regarding HP and stuff? Are secondary stats equally increased?

Like say I had 100 HP, do I now have around 500?

- - - Updated - - -

(Basically I'm just asking if the formula for the secondary stats changed.)

Kirby
February 1st, 2015, 09:44 PM
I'm adjusting the calcs for the real stats now, but you're only increasing the original attributes: STR, END, AGI, DEX, INT, CHA. But in general, most stats are higher now.

I just find higher numbers more flexible to work with.

E: so yeah, the primary/secondary stat formulas will be adjusted.

Siriel
February 1st, 2015, 09:46 PM
Oh, I agree and I appreciate having a scale of reference.

I'll send my sheet once you've given the full calcs.

Lycodrake
February 1st, 2015, 10:11 PM
Reminder that Rhyme is best Noise.

Sakuraba Haru
February 2nd, 2015, 06:08 PM
What is the remaining deadline?

Kirby
February 2nd, 2015, 06:11 PM
February 7. This Saturday.

Kirby
February 6th, 2015, 06:35 PM
Sheets are due tomorrow. Because of time-zones, I might accept some sheets on the 8th.

If we get enough acceptable sheets by then, then there won't be any deadline extensions, though you are free to send in a sheet to be put on reserve, where you can hop in in the case of other players dying. If we don't get enough, it'll be put on hold until we get enough.

Thedoctor
February 6th, 2015, 06:51 PM
Just sent my sheet.

arkturus
February 7th, 2015, 03:37 PM
So what happens if there is an odd number of players, since everyone needs a partner? Will Kirby have to fill in?
Or will they be saved by a mysterious barista?

Kirby
February 7th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Depends. I'll always choose an even number when starting the week, and partners will most likely die together. In-game, I might have NPC players to partner with, though I'd prefer to keep partnerships between RP players.

But really, usually the odd-one-out will just die in seventy in-game minutes if they don't find another partner. I can roll for a saving throw, though, where they can be saved.

Thedoctor
February 7th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Uhm yeah about rolls.

is every action dice based?

Kirby
February 7th, 2015, 04:06 PM
Not really. For combat, the only thing I can recall that's rolled (well, determined with an RNG) is the hit value, which is what accuracy and evasion are for. This determines if your attack hits, grazes, misses, or crits. Most of the other factors are fixed.

As for other things, stuff like "lift this box with STR" or other stat checks, you simply need to pass a stat threshold, no RNG involved.

Siriel
February 7th, 2015, 05:31 PM
As a curiosity how many sheets do you have right now?

Kirby
February 7th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Nine. The "Player Candidates" thing in the OP is generally kept up to date as people send things in.

Beyond
February 7th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Gonna withdraw my entry. Doesn't seem like I'll be able to commit even if I'm able to tweak out all the problems for my sheet. Sorry for the trouble.

Kirby
February 8th, 2015, 01:13 AM
Last call for sheets. Formal deadline is in 9 hours, so if you're still interested, speak up before then and I can give you an extension. Otherwise that's that.

Kirby
February 8th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Time's up. Got a bunch of sheets I liked, and seeing as how I'm GMing pretty much everyone in pairs, it's like half the workload. So, I'm increasing the player count to ten, or five pairs.

The players are as follows:

1. Frantic Author
2. Snax
3. Bloble
4. Arkturus
5. Jormungandr
6. Siriel
7. Katie
8. Sakuraba Haru
9. Mooncake
10. Virzi

Congrats.

When will the RP start? Soonish, I guess. Maybe Wednesday, or Tuesday, I dunno. In the meantime, I'll have to iron out some of your sheets and such, with mechanics and things I want elaboration on and so on. Also, if you haven't yet requested what type of pins you want, now's the time to do so. Otherwise I'm just going with whatever I think suits you.

UPDATE: On second thought, I'm just gonna compile a pool of pins for each Player to choose based on their character types, and let you decide which two you wanna start out with. You can still request, though.

Snax
February 8th, 2015, 12:56 PM
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/FdSbJu8Pp7S0b8bqJcRJzwIDRRekDFFkHipmIf2XlrLLuN-VXAJlrXQaIZaNWZbLvaz3npSMP9qNYMpxfp7Wr0K-2JrVG2R1mISb-VTv8pSKv8O_TOJXDBiu0jdylyNaBDc

"Hmph. Weaklings." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIuj9mpBcw&index=80&list=PLCF1B9315500F5554)

Bloble
February 8th, 2015, 01:39 PM
http://safebooru.org/images/1350/1731489f8969995137903ab4430dcf165a6caf8b.png?14035 55

"If you don't like the cards you were dealt, take it up with the dealer. Use that body of yours to change their mind."

Siriel
February 8th, 2015, 02:30 PM
http://i.imgur.com/XohS9Bg.jpg
"This is my second chance, don't you dare screw it up." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxdmrDshJE4)

Katie
February 8th, 2015, 02:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/b7U79yo.jpg

... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY9hPMqOTkE)

RacingeR
February 8th, 2015, 03:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iZa9xeR.png

"Don't talk to me. Don't approach me. Leave me alone."

Frantic Author
February 8th, 2015, 05:24 PM
http://puu.sh/eUmg7/22d8ac160b.jpg
"Just who do you think you're talking to? Some kind of idiot?" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1crtCFr_2Bs)

arkturus
February 8th, 2015, 08:18 PM
11962 (http://i.imgur.com/Kw6hP4l.jpg)
"Care to hear some more?" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKHAsnkF8A)

Mooncake
February 8th, 2015, 08:23 PM
:I

http://i.imgur.com/p7utVqI.jpg

"Congratulations, you've got two broken toys for one." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7yjiC6v5wc)

- - - Updated - - -

well

- - - Updated - - -

this is odd

Kirby
February 8th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Oh, right. This reminds me of that problem.

Ark, Moony, you both chose the exact same FC. We have to resolve this somehow, unless you wanna RP with a long lost identical twin or something.

- - - Updated - - -

lol sniped

Siriel
February 8th, 2015, 08:29 PM
I vote you both keep. Maximum confusion.

Snax
February 8th, 2015, 08:29 PM
plz no plz go

Mooncake
February 8th, 2015, 08:34 PM
my heart shall not waver :<

- - - Updated - - -

we could just be doppelgangers

- - - Updated - - -

A completely random coincidence!

Kirby
February 8th, 2015, 08:39 PM
If you don't wanna change the character, you could at go for a different angle and clothes, maybe?

This guy's Frey from Fisheye Placebo. Here's him in different clothes.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/fisheyeplacebo/images/f/f0/Tumblr_mf7o09gVwk1qe959eo2_1280.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131213093943

Mooncake
February 8th, 2015, 08:41 PM
I vote you both keep. Maximum confusion.

I actually greatly enjoy this proposition.

Ark, I see you lurking. What do you think?

Frantic Author
February 8th, 2015, 09:15 PM
Doppelgangers is the most 10/10 idea

what a masterful ruse

Mooncake
February 8th, 2015, 09:16 PM
ignore him, he's harmless

Sakuraba Haru
February 8th, 2015, 09:27 PM
Everyone is a girl except 2 people. Lol.

Well here.

http://i.imgur.com/BrNvM2h.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/Uphd3YZ.png?1

"Hey, do you know me? On the net I am known as Morning. Say, how do you want to look? I'll make anything for you... at a reasonable price, of course. Teehee."

Kirby
February 8th, 2015, 09:28 PM
All the pin selection things have been sent. If you haven't chosen yet, check your PMs.

Mooncake
February 8th, 2015, 09:38 PM
Alright, we're doing it

DOPPELGANGERS

Kirby
February 8th, 2015, 09:39 PM
[20:37] <@Mooncake> we're doin' it

w e l p

Dopplegangers it is. Ark is now slightly shorter than Moon, because his image is smaller.

arkturus
February 8th, 2015, 09:57 PM
This is going to be amazing.

Ark is now slightly shorter than Moon, because his image is smaller.
Kirby pls

Kirby
February 8th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Guess what time it is? BALANCING TIME!

Basically, for those of you I haven't talked to extensively yet, I'm gonna go through your sheets and balance them. They'll mostly be buffs, because a lot of the things you guys listed as perks were things you could already do anyway, so I might have you merge some of your perks and make new ones. Maybe.

virzi
February 9th, 2015, 08:53 AM
http://i.imgur.com/90drszC.jpg

"Just like it was foretold... The trial has already begun!"

Oh God, gaze upon my clear soul! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlr90NLDp-0)

Kirby
February 9th, 2015, 11:20 PM
We're almost ready to start! I'll probably get the OP up by tomorrow, but before then, check your inboxes. You should have received a PM with a CG of your pins. Those are to be included in your first post, when you wake up and discover the pins on you.

Kirby
February 10th, 2015, 08:54 PM
It's up! Go go go!

Also, no missions yet. Do whatever, or nothing at all, but everyone will get a mission text soon. In the mean time, muck around, find other Players (you can tell who they are because you can't read their minds), and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, as far as IC knowledge goes, you shouldn't know much yet, other than the fact that you're dead, got invited to play a game to come back to life, and you might notice that you're missing your entry fee.

RacingeR
February 10th, 2015, 09:03 PM
I say we burn this city to the ground.

Kirby
February 10th, 2015, 09:05 PM
try

Frantic Author
February 11th, 2015, 09:00 AM
help me everything's gone 『  』

Kirby
February 12th, 2015, 09:25 PM
It's begun! Sorta. Don't worry, the next missions will be a lot more exciting.

I'm updating the Player Notes with the map and some NPC blurbs, which can be found in the OP, or here (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i30m6XYcD4dKD6gw7VYabnbG-ZfnqBjyeTtc9jxg6bw/edit#). It includes the map (http://i.imgur.com/ogqKFsZ.png). The legend and names of the locations are in the notes/rulebook, but you are currently located at (8). When new information gets publicly revealed or relevant, it will show up in the notes.

Siriel
February 14th, 2015, 10:18 PM
lol Frantic if you just got us erased I will be so mad.

Waiting until Kirby's response though, since Mayū doesn't exactly have the time to do anything before you press Send even if she got what you're doing.

Frantic Author
February 14th, 2015, 10:19 PM
IT IS 100% THE GREATEST PLAN I HAVE EVER MADE IN THE WORLD

RacingeR
February 15th, 2015, 02:11 AM
Uhm, I know that you guys want to fastpost, and it is seriously impressive and all, but really, you guys just got entire scenes, and an entire battle done while most people have posted only twice or thrice. Slow down a bit, otherwise it becomes completely impossible for me to reply or have my character keep up with what is happening, and I'm not even being especially slow here. Also you guys risk burning out like it has already happened in Verg's mystery RP, so seriously, slow down a tad.

RacingeR
February 15th, 2015, 04:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynx26LJ1YC4

The ultimate spiral of dumbassery.

Snax
February 15th, 2015, 05:11 AM
http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Boomelancer

this is all

arkturus
February 15th, 2015, 01:18 PM
I have become the nisio protagonist.

It's me.

Siriel
February 15th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Uhm, I know that you guys want to fastpost, and it is seriously impressive and all, but really, you guys just got entire scenes, and an entire battle done while most people have posted only twice or thrice. Slow down a bit, otherwise it becomes completely impossible for me to reply or have my character keep up with what is happening, and I'm not even being especially slow here. Also you guys risk burning out like it has already happened in Verg's mystery RP, so seriously, slow down a tad.

Everyone is around two posts per day.

That's not exactly 'fastposting'.

Christemo
February 15th, 2015, 02:30 PM

"Guys stop having fun with your healthy posting cycle"

Kirby
February 15th, 2015, 03:15 PM
Few announcements/questions:

1) If you want, you and your partner can come up with a team name for you two. This is mostly because I don't have you write out your entire names every time I post for you, but it could be fun, I guess.

2) A thing for the future, but I plan on taking stuff from your backgrounds. If you have anything more you want to add or elaborate on, especially face-claims for important figures in your backstory (parents, friends, lovers, enemies), then send them over.

Pros: increases your MC status

Cons: increases chances of GM bullying

3) If you have any questions about how the battle system works, or if you can pull off X action or something, just ask.

Sakuraba Haru
February 15th, 2015, 04:32 PM
On that note I need a partner

Kirby
February 15th, 2015, 04:34 PM
Virzi offered to partner up with you.

He's also the only one left, so it's do or die.

Frantic Author
February 15th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Siriel and I are definitely ​Team No-Name

Kirby
February 15th, 2015, 11:17 PM
Lets take a vote.

Eliminate numbers, go for freeform combat: >Y/N?

Mooncake
February 15th, 2015, 11:23 PM
Freeform

Katie
February 15th, 2015, 11:23 PM
sure

but how system work.gif

Frantic Author
February 15th, 2015, 11:24 PM
But then I can't have DPS boners with Snax

RacingeR
February 15th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Why not first show us the system and the calculations so we can see where the problem is?

Kirby
February 15th, 2015, 11:30 PM
I'll just post my notes here. They don't actually encompass everything which is part of the problem here, and it's barely half done, but fuck. I hate these calcs.
Hit Value = Base Accuracy + Attackerís Accuracy - Defenderís Evasion
A random number (https://www.random.org/) from 0-99 is generated. For attacks with multiple hits, a random number is generated for each attack.

If the random number is:
lower than hit value - Attack lands, normal damage is done
0-24% higher than hit value - Attack grazes, damage halved
25%+ higher than hit value - Attack misses, damage is nullified.
lower than 20% of hit value - Critical hit

High Accuracy - 100
Average Accuracy - 75
Low Accuracy - 50
Unaimed - 25

Damage = (Skill damage x Attackerís ATK Bonus - Defenderís DEF Bonus) x (Multipliers)

Affinity

Strong

Average

Weak

ESP Cost

Strong

Average

Weak

Combat Notes
Block - Add DEX x 1.5 to Base Defense. Add DEX x 3 if both actions are used.
Grab - Close range only. Reduces evasion to zero.
Dodge - Double Evasion. Quadruple if both actions are used.
Aim - Double Accuracy. Quadruple if both actions are used, applies to next turn.
Close In - Close range accuracy normalized, long range accuracy halved
Against close range - Evasion nullified
Against long range - Evasion doubled
Back Out - Close range accuracy halved, long range accuracy normalized
Against close range - Evasion doubled
Against long range - Evasion nullified

Close range - ~10 meters
Medium range - ~10-20 meters
Long range - ~20+ meters

Fast - five attacks per action
Default - three attacks per action
Slow - one attack per action

Siriel
February 15th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Lets take a vote.

Eliminate numbers, go for freeform combat: >Y/N?

Huh no please.

RacingeR
February 15th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Yeah, rather than just going freeform, I'd recommend simplifying the fuck out of that system somehow.

Snax
February 15th, 2015, 11:34 PM
While i don't mind either, it seems you're burning out real fast, especially if we're going to have a lot of more combat on the horizon.

Either do a super simplified system (you could look at my Ouro OOC combat system or any of the other RPs), or go freeform.

Otherwise I don't think you'll survive too long with this, sadly.

RacingeR
February 15th, 2015, 11:35 PM
I guess I'd rec something like oni system though its kinda overused atm.

Something like Ga Rei/Fort/Ouro system might be better for this?

SeiKeo
February 15th, 2015, 11:36 PM
That's not complicated at all. What's this about it being complicated?

Satehi
February 15th, 2015, 11:37 PM
What kind of variables are you having to make up? That doesn't look too bad unless everyone is a multihitter.

Kirby
February 15th, 2015, 11:40 PM
That's not complicated at all. What's this about it being complicated?
The problem is less with the calcs themselves, and more with interpreting all the attacks and turning everything into a number, which gives me really weird results so I have to adjust it like a shitton and then I realize that using the adjusted results for some new guy also makes gives results that make no sense and I can't figure out what the problem is.

Siriel
February 15th, 2015, 11:41 PM
Could you give me an hypothetical situation (X attack Y and their stats) so I can run it with what you posted?

Kirby
February 16th, 2015, 12:09 AM
I've made my decision. I'm turning the pins into "skills", of sorts, where they have a fixed mechanical effect. I'll send you your pin effects soon, I guess.

virzi
February 16th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Haruuuu

Kirby
February 16th, 2015, 01:46 AM
If he doesn't respond quickly I'll just kill him off and make you a special snowflake that can work solo.

Sakuraba Haru
February 16th, 2015, 02:52 PM
I'm writing in a bit, just wait a while, things have eaten up my time.

Kirby
February 16th, 2015, 04:59 PM
never again

I cut the fight a bit short, but anyway, I'm gonna forbid fights (that have calculations) for the next few days. It's not like I'll disallow usage of pins, but I won't calc anything until I fix my system.

Also, I already gave you a ton of time to get to 60, and you definitely don't need 3 hours to do it. Take your time, explore, interact, and so on.

Siriel
February 21st, 2015, 12:46 PM
Apologies for not posting, been a bit busy recently. Will catch up either today or tomorrow.

Snax
February 21st, 2015, 01:05 PM
With that scene, i rush to bed and hit the sack.

Kirby
February 22nd, 2015, 10:59 PM
Alright, I haven't gotten to putting it into the rulebook, but here's the proposal for the simplification in its draft stage:

1) No more secondary stats. Things are now calculated directly from your attributes. Primary stat calcs are the same.

Attack power is calculated directly from STR and INT.
END only calculates HP, and reduces chance of ailments. No more defense stat. You can still reduce damage through blocking, or with buffs.
Similarly, ailment thresholds are changed to probabilities.
DEX is mainly to determine effectiveness of actions: counters, parries, aiming, grabs, etc.
AGI is mainly to determine initative, evasion, and maybe changing position (front lines, back lines, etc).
Crits are the same.

2) Your pins work more like set skills now with fixed effects, rather than a toolbox you can do whatever with. Sorry. On the other hand, some of them have multiple ways they can be used.

They come with a few stats: Effect (stuff like "does three hits of STR*.7 damage", or "80% chance to burn"), Accuracy (base 80 accuracy means 80% to hit, and so on), and Cost (MP cost, simple)

3) No more accuracy/evasion. Each attack has a set accuracy, and can only be altered through aiming/dodging. The magnitude of the bonus is affected by DEX and AGI. Of the things with the previous system, this was one of the things that killed me, even if it looked simple.

Sound good?

Mooncake
February 22nd, 2015, 11:00 PM
the age of siriel is over

Frantic Author
February 22nd, 2015, 11:07 PM
END seems entirely useless if it doesn't even mitigate damage at all.

Kirby
February 22nd, 2015, 11:14 PM
Alright. I'll probably made END reduce by percents now, rather than straight subtraction, so it doesn't completely trivialize weak/strong attacks, and will probably never completely mitigate anything.

Damage reduction = (END/2)%. So an END of 50 reduces incoming damage by 25%. Sound good?

- - - Updated - - -

Also, blocking with DEX is still straight subtraction, and can mitigate attacks completely like the system beforehand.

Siriel
February 22nd, 2015, 11:17 PM
Seems alright to me. Though I would like it if I could shift my stats just a bit. (And no, that doesn't mean throwing everything into DEX.)

Kirby
February 22nd, 2015, 11:19 PM
Okay.

Anyone who wants to shift their stats, you can do so now.

Kirby
February 22nd, 2015, 11:42 PM
Oh, and another thing about physical and psychic elements: the physical element gimmick of combos and finishers will be removed, somewhat. They'll operate on the same weakness/resist mechanics of psychic attacks.

Physical attacks will still be the best to stagger and launch enemies, but "comboing" is no longer the main focus, and their advantage will be versatility and a larger range of effects per element. Rest assured, you'll still be able to stagger and launch enemies, but it's no longer like building up a gauge, and more like "each attack has X chance to inflict stagger/airborne."