PDA

View Full Version : Unironic Kantai Collection RP (Proposal, discussion)

SeiKeo
February 23rd, 2015, 06:16 PM
It's been suggested among friends that in order to unwind from otherwise serious RPs we have an RP which is somewhat tongue-in-cheek; the natural subject for this is Kantai Collection. This isn't a real OOC thread, since the idea here is to have not a massive project coming from one guy but a grassroots effort - this is here to sniff out the aspects people would find fun.

From a bit of preliminary discussion, fun aspects of Kantai Collection in RP form would include:
Multinationality (duh)
Some flexibility with time periods (Going back to WWI seems completely acceptable. Going forward is fun but sort of difficult, since there hasn't been a lot of significant naval warfare after 1945 and how boats acted in combat is a primary component of how you'd define personality. Thoughts?)
PVP to an extent (PVE is compelling only with justification, while PVP is inherently somewhat interesting. How to organize combat is an interesting question - as everyone probably knows I've worked on this earlier and I think positioning is important to the idea of being boats on the water but it's really annoying to track.)

If you wouldn't actually be interested in doing fun boat things please don't bother posting here and stick to serious urban fantasy RPs for serious people.

Kirby
February 23rd, 2015, 06:18 PM
I am interested.

RacingeR
February 23rd, 2015, 06:19 PM
Just an idea, but why not use some sort of simulated multinational war as a framing device of sorts? That might work well enough to justify both PvP and PvE and whatever else, as well as multinationality.

SeiKeo
February 23rd, 2015, 06:21 PM
Just an idea, but why not use some sort of simulated multinational war as a framing device of sorts? That might work well enough to justify both PvP and PvE and whatever else, as well as multinationality.
Yeah I have some thoughts on how to do this, that's one. It depends on how serious the entire atmosphere should be - I think that simulation becomes difficult because then it's pretty clear there isn't really any actual consequence since yeah it's just a big video game.

Leftovers
February 23rd, 2015, 06:21 PM
This ship has already sailed.

RacingeR
February 23rd, 2015, 06:22 PM
Yeah I have some thoughts on how to do this, that's one. It depends on how serious the entire atmosphere should be - I think that simulation becomes difficult because then it's pretty clear there isn't really any actual consequence since yeah it's just a big video game.

Well, if we want something tongue-in-cheek and not that serious, then it's fine. You can just make up some consequences for losing (maybe some sort of map were you clash for territories?) to up the tension for the matches, which would give enough seriousness, I think.

Arch-Magos Winter
February 23rd, 2015, 06:24 PM
All aboard Battleship X

Thedoctor
February 23rd, 2015, 06:24 PM
All Aboard?

SeiKeo
February 23rd, 2015, 06:27 PM
All Aboard?
It's something you say when you want to leave harbor on a boat.

Kuroyuki
February 23rd, 2015, 06:31 PM
Boats Reborn in the form of Kancolle?

SeiKeo
February 23rd, 2015, 06:33 PM
no i'm basically getting rid of everything i didn't like about that which is just about everything

Bloble
February 23rd, 2015, 06:36 PM
Kancolle is shit.

You're shit.

Spinach
February 23rd, 2015, 06:37 PM
based

SeiKeo
February 23rd, 2015, 06:38 PM
If you wouldn't actually be interested in doing fun boat things please don't bother posting here and stick to serious urban fantasy RPs for serious people.
​.

I3uster
February 23rd, 2015, 06:41 PM
tongue in cheek is the codeword for dies instantly

Spinach
February 23rd, 2015, 06:41 PM
leo RP is the codeword for dies instantly

SeiKeo
February 23rd, 2015, 06:42 PM
No seriously though fuck off if you don't potentially want in.

Spinach
February 23rd, 2015, 06:43 PM
Who said I don't though

Mormarth
February 23rd, 2015, 06:44 PM
it is a tradition of this fine RP section to join things that look sort of okay and then watch them die

and then keep talking about it, and then they get re-made and re-made and then we're all sick of it

but then we actually aren't

anyway can I be muh zuri

Edit: or perhaps i will be the william d porter and be moe as fuck

Thedoctor
February 23rd, 2015, 06:49 PM
this RP will start with a nuke and it will end with a nuke. Inbetween that will be nukes.

I3uster
February 23rd, 2015, 06:52 PM
No seriously though fuck off if you don't potentially want in.

seriously though if you start something as fun side project people will treat it that way i.e. nobody posts, ever

this happened a few times now didnt it

Strife ❤️
February 23rd, 2015, 07:44 PM
HMS Emperor Of India
Dreadnought Class Battleship

"Heaven's Light Our Guide"

http://i.imgur.com/DsIzIwO.jpg

MS Paint Skillz

SeiKeo
February 23rd, 2015, 07:46 PM
This is a rule, btw, fc must be ms paint or photoshopped with guns or what have you.

Kirby
February 23rd, 2015, 07:49 PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaa

SeiKeo
February 23rd, 2015, 07:50 PM
As you can see we are not asking for very advanced photoshop.

Spinach
February 23rd, 2015, 07:54 PM
fc btw

http://i.imgur.com/RW9KlaW.png

Erlkonig
February 23rd, 2015, 07:58 PM
Man look at those torpedoes on her chest

Nihilm
February 24th, 2015, 04:54 AM
Interested as long as it's a fun thing and not battleship the RP

arsdraconis
February 24th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Edit: or perhaps i will be the william d porter and be moe as fuck

Wee Willie Worthless is still the best character in that /tg/ kancolle is a shit quest

Kirby
February 24th, 2015, 08:14 PM
is this cheating? (http://safebooru.org/index.php?page=post&s=view&id=1336465)

Spinach
February 24th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Yeah. You have to do it yourself or you're not showing your commitment.

Strife ❤️
February 25th, 2015, 05:19 PM
make boats

mAc Chaos
February 25th, 2015, 05:53 PM
can they be boat magical girls

SeiKeo
February 26th, 2015, 08:39 PM
Hello friends. Let's talk backstory. Three 'settings' under consideration. Please inform as to which you would find the most Fun.

1:
The year is 23xx. There is no ice left on Earth – every glacier, every snowflake, has melted into the oceans; most of civilization lies beneath the waves, with only a few mountainous regions surviving. Man is now an oceangoing civilization, surviving on floating cities, and protected on the surface and in the search for resources on the seafloor by Kanmusu – reminders of his golden age.

2:
The year is 1962. The Second World War ended with a whimper. Germany’s new superweapon, the Kanmusu, completed her vision of Fortress Europe, an empire stretching from Paris to Moscow. The Allies crumbled in separate peaces, and decades later, the world powers – Germany, America, England, and Japan – suspiciously eye each other across the waves, crossing sabers over islands and countries yet to fall into any sphere.

3:
The year is 2132. Nationalism, war, and international discord are things of the past, now regarded with amusement and irony. Each year, their passings are celebrated by a worldwide tournament and festival, where Kanmusu of the old nations fight for a global audience – the greatest show on Earth.

Kirby
February 26th, 2015, 08:40 PM
[1]

Katie
February 26th, 2015, 08:41 PM
[2]

Strife ❤️
February 26th, 2015, 08:41 PM
[3]

SeiKeo
February 26th, 2015, 08:42 PM
WOW

Nihilm
February 26th, 2015, 08:44 PM
1 sounds like fetchquest and it's also Waterworld
3 is fun and all but for ten posts then the RP dies

so it's 2

You'd need to spice 3 up probably somehow to make it actually last, then I'd pick that.

SeiKeo
February 26th, 2015, 08:47 PM
I dunno, spitball about what would be the twist to future tournament.

Strife ❤️
February 26th, 2015, 08:50 PM
The twist is that the epic cutesy show is a ruse for me escaping and reestablishing the Empire on Which The Sun Never Sets.

Kirby
February 26th, 2015, 08:50 PM
I'm all for 1 or 3, but 2 sounds a bit too serious for my tastes when i'm here to play a cute shipgirl imo

SeiKeo
February 26th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Basically what I'm saying is the only tournament anime that I've ever seen is Girls und Panzer and ye who are more anime than I need to let your knowledge flow through me.

Strife ❤️
Yeah 2 would be cool if it was a more serious thing but as it isn't I dunno.

Leftovers
I'm all for 1 or 3, but 2 sounds a bit too serious for my tastes when i'm here to play a cute shipgirl imo

imo this opinion imo

Nihilm
February 26th, 2015, 08:56 PM
I dunno, spitball about what would be the twist to future tournament.

The fight should have more stakes than pride etc. Like the problem is that the only reason to compete is for competition's sake, so there should be a reason you'd really want to win, hopefully a better reason than money. That would also give reason for someone to be an asshole and use "illegal" moves or something that is life-threatening again raising the stakes.

Kirby
February 26th, 2015, 08:58 PM
The main reason I'm up for 1 is that it seems like the most flexible. You could make it serious, light-hearted, PvE, PvP, whatever you feel like and it wouldn't be that out of place. But anyway,

Basically what I'm saying is the only tournament anime that I've ever seen is Girls und Panzer and ye who are more anime than I need to let your knowledge flow through me.
The only real ways I could think of making it "interesting" end up being something that's make it more serious, which is something I'd rather avoid. Like, I dunno, battle royales, territory wars (as the format), something more to lose, some dark secret to the purpose behind the tourney, an actual villain, etc etc. But then again, what I wanna avoid is going too serious.

Nihilm
February 26th, 2015, 09:00 PM
The only real ways I could think of making it "interesting" end up being something that's make it more serious, which is something I'd rather avoid. Like, I dunno, battle royales, territory wars (as the format), something more to lose, some dark secret to the purpose behind the tourney, an actual villain, etc etc. But then again, what I wanna avoid is going too serious.

I think you could have that without being too serious. Like a real silly dumbass villain or y'know serious stuff simply not taken seriously by the universe in general.

mAc Chaos
February 26th, 2015, 09:04 PM
how about, the tournament is how the countries settle their differences now

territory dispute -> TOURNAMENT

SeiKeo
February 26th, 2015, 09:09 PM
how about, the tournament is how the countries settle their differences now

territory dispute -> TOURNAMENT
what, and it's actually wwii

- - - Updated - - -

you know if that means germany players literally get coached by hitler thats y'know i'll go with it

Kuroyuki
February 26th, 2015, 10:05 PM

RacingeR
February 26th, 2015, 10:39 PM
[3], just make the stakes a tad more serious and its set I think.

Plue
February 26th, 2015, 11:24 PM
3 sounds somewhat like G gundam?

Erlkonig
February 27th, 2015, 07:46 AM
If we pick 1, can R'lyeh be the final stage?

Kuroyuki
February 27th, 2015, 09:21 PM
San Pinchi?

SeiKeo
March 7th, 2015, 07:19 PM
oh just fyi its up