PDA

View Full Version : Warnings related to Lantz's Threads

mAc Chaos
April 4th, 2015, 04:51 PM
Attention: Mr. Insane, Bdoom AKA Sakura's Not Into Bondage, qwertyfatcat, Jirou, Christemo, and Bloble

We want to put an end to the endless merry-go-round of flaming and trolling every time a thread like this comes up. Normally there would be more severe punishments, but they were not actively enforced in the Lantz' threads. Since we're aiming for that now, we're officially giving everybody a heads up now, and we're going to just give you a Formal Public Warning and leave it at that until next time.

Let's work together to improve the forum. Don't go full Magos. Just walk away.

Thank You,
The Administration and Moderation Team

Attention: Lantzblades

We have decided to also give you a formal Public Warning as well. While your behavior wasn't openly flaming or trolling (even though the post itself could definitely be considered baiting), some of your responses were even cruel to people who were honestly trying to help you. Not every critique is a flame and you're acting overly defensive.

Beast's Lair isn't supposed to be your hugbox. You have to follow the same standards that we expect from everyone else here. It doesn't matter if "this is how you write your story," everybody has to deal with constructive literary criticism. If these patterns continue we will continue with the next course of punishment.

Thank You,
The Administration and Moderation Team

Kirby
April 4th, 2015, 04:53 PM
will the pain finally come to an end..?

Paitouch
April 4th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Man, I really do miss out on a lot of fun things by not going to the fanfics forum nanodesupoi.

- - - Updated - - -

And by fun, I mean cancerous nanodesupoi.

SeiKeo
April 4th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Good job moderator IMO.

Renko
April 4th, 2015, 04:55 PM
Why am I not surprise...

Kelnish
April 4th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Can I get a public warning I feel like as a high school delinquent I need to be a badass who gets public warnings.

Pillzman
April 4th, 2015, 04:59 PM
GJ Moderator

SINIB
April 4th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Good job.

Christemo
April 4th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I see I'm the next victim of "Hey remember that thing you did 5 months ago? Well time to get warned for it!" that LoneHuntah suffered first.

- - - Updated - - -

I mean this is probably the right thing to do but just going through the lantz thread, regardless of how far back, and warning people for since-corrected behavior is kind of silly.

Kirby
April 4th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Wasn't the last lantz thread thing only a week ago?

SINIB
April 4th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Yes.

Christemo
April 4th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Wasn't the last lantz thread thing only a week ago?

Yes, and my only posts in that pertained to telling people who were going down the suicidal path that is posting in that thread for any purpose other than doing what I was doing that they should probably stop what they are doing.

Kirby
April 4th, 2015, 05:14 PM
Oh, welp

Christemo
April 4th, 2015, 05:15 PM
christemo did actually something wrong

I think I need to steal Siriel's invisibility cloak.

Seika
April 4th, 2015, 05:17 PM
We're terribly sorry to have taken a couple of weeks to talk this out. If it's a comfort, you'd have been hit over this earlier if the staff hadn't been dealing with integrating me and mAc. And probably harder.

Speaking of, I'm going to underline to everyone the point in mAc's post about the severity of future punishments. These lot all came very very close to getting strikes (which I note would put Christemo on his last chance). In future, similar incidents will immediately elevate to strikes, absent any mitigating circumstances. Playing the person instead of the ball has become too prevalent, and posters need to unlearn that habit. Quickly.

Mcjon01
April 4th, 2015, 05:19 PM
Playing the person instead of the ball has become too prevalent, and posters need to unlearn that habit. Quickly.

Uh, I think I get it from context but just to be clear since this is a forum moderation stance can you please repeat that in American?

Seika
April 4th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Imagine we're playing basketball. Try to take the ball off your opponent all you like (i.e. their argument), but it's not acceptable to actually hit your opponent (i.e. attack them as a person in your posts).

Sufficiently American?

SINIB
April 4th, 2015, 05:23 PM
Make it football please

RacingeR
April 4th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Uh, I think I get it from context but just to be clear since this is a forum moderation stance can you please repeat that in American?

I think that it refers to the behavior in which one attacks the other person in a discussion rather than discussing or following the argument itself.

EDIT: And sniped by Seika.

Mcjon01
April 4th, 2015, 05:24 PM
Yes, thank you, basketball is very American this time of year.

Seika
April 4th, 2015, 05:25 PM
Make it football please

It is football.

Mcjon01
April 4th, 2015, 05:25 PM
I think that it refers to the behavior in which one attacks the other person in a discussion rather than discussing or following the argument itself.

EDIT: And sniped by Seika.

I figured that was it, it just threw me for a loop because that expression doesn't exist here.

Arashi_Leonhart
April 4th, 2015, 05:26 PM
Make it football please

It's no good to be caught with pass interference. Be Richard Sherman or Darrelle Revis instead and intercept the ball.

Siriel
April 4th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Speaking of, I'm going to underline to everyone the point in mAc's post about the severity of future punishments. These lot all came very very close to getting strikes (which I note would put Christemo on his last chance). In future, similar incidents will immediately elevate to strikes, absent any mitigating circumstances. Playing the person instead of the ball has become too prevalent, and posters need to unlearn that habit. Quickly.

Could you clarify the reach of this statement?

If it's universal, then please rewrite the rules. If you mean Lantz's threads, please specify it.

Elf
April 4th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Could you clarify the reach of this statement?

If it's universal, then please rewrite the rules. If you mean Lantz's threads, please specify it.

Okay, basically with the escalation of the event we were considering giving both the instigators and Lantz a ban, therefore a Strike to the Three Strikes and You're Perma Banned. However we came up with a compromise and just decided to give out a Public Warning, which if they act out again before the cool down period is over they would get a ban and therefore a strike.

All of this boils down to something very simple: Don't Be a Dick, which means don't bully, don't flame, and for the love of everything, don't troll.

Christemo
April 4th, 2015, 05:36 PM
Okay, basically with the escalation of the event we were considering giving both the instigators and Lantz a ban, therefore a Strike to the Three Strikes and You're Perma Banned. However we came up with a compromise and just decided to give out a Public Warning, which if they act out again before the cool down period is over they would get a ban and therefore a strike.

All of this boils down to something very simple: Don't Be a Dick.

That didn't actually answer the question. The question was: Will all "personal attacks", whether the truth or perceived as such, go straight to strikes from now on, or is it exclusive to lantz?

Siriel
April 4th, 2015, 05:38 PM
Thank you for the clarification.

- - - Updated - - -

That didn't actually answer the question. The question was: Will all "personal attacks", whether the truth or perceived as such, go straight to strikes from now.

This:

However we came up with a compromise and just decided to give out a Public Warning, which if they act out again before the cool down period is over they would get a ban and therefore a strike.

Makes it pretty clear it was regarding people warned in the OP.

Paitouch
All of this just makes me sorta curious what Lantz writes about nanodesupoi.

Seika
It's basically a warning that the staff are particularly ready to exercise the right to kick up punishment levels when it comes to flaming.

So not every instance, but where we perceive it to be comparatively as serious or as sustained as we saw in this case, don't complain if you get struck.

francobull3
April 4th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Make it soccer please

ftfy

Kirby
April 4th, 2015, 05:42 PM
All of this just makes me sorta curious what Lantz writes about nanodesupoi.
Don't give in. Retain your purity

Siriel
April 4th, 2015, 05:58 PM
It's basically a warning that the staff are particularly ready to exercise the right to kick up punishment levels when it comes to flaming.

So not every instance, but where we perceive it to be comparatively as serious or as sustained as we saw in this case, don't complain if you get struck.

If it's such a big deal why not just say that personal attacks result in a strike instead of leaving it to arbitrary judgment that will vary from mod to mod?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean let's say poster X posts a personal attack. Mod Y sees it, judges it to be not too bad, gives a warning.

Poster Z by complete coincidence posts the same thing toward a different poster in another thread, Mod A judges it to be bad and gives a strike.

Poster Z would be totally right if, noticing the treament of Poster X after coming back from his strike, he said it was unfair.

Nihilm
April 4th, 2015, 05:58 PM
I think it is generally a good thing this happened, even if there are specifics you could argue about.

Arashi_Leonhart
April 4th, 2015, 06:10 PM
It can be somewhat difficult to read some as personal attacks or not because some of us get along well enough to be friendly-insulting to each other. I mean, say I tell Bloble "fuck you, goddamn canadian!" I'm pretty sure he knows I'm joking with him, but if someone were to randomly throw out profanities and insults towards one's motherland it might actually be a flame. I sorta imagine they can't ban all comments like that or else I'd have to be nice to the people I like and it's n-not like I want to or anything.

SeiKeo
April 4th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Mac and Seika are pretty in tune with how the forum and its personal relationships run so I'm comfortable with trusting them on that.

mAc Chaos
April 4th, 2015, 06:13 PM
If it's such a big deal why not just say that personal attacks result in a strike instead of leaving it to arbitrary judgment that will vary from mod to mod?

- - - Updated - - -

I mean let's say poster X posts a personal attack. Mod Y sees it, judges it to be not too bad, gives a warning.

Poster Z by complete coincidence posts the same thing toward a different poster in another thread, Mod A judges it to be bad and gives a strike.

Poster Z would be totally right if, noticing the treament of Poster X after coming back from his strike, he said it was unfair.
It's good to seek clarification; I want to just point out though that for judging what makes a "personal attack," you still require someone to interpret what exactly makes it an attack and the context.

For instance, imagine if someone wrote a review of a fic and it was profanity laden and very passionate. Or maybe another one that calls somebody's work "fucking garbage." It is not insulting the person themselves, but their work. But the person would probably get offended.

Siriel
April 4th, 2015, 06:14 PM
It's good to seek clarification; I want to just point out though that for judging what makes a "personal attack," you still require someone to interpret what exactly makes it an attack and the context.

For instance, imagine if someone wrote a review of a fic and it was profanity laden and very passionate. Or maybe another one that calls somebody's work "fucking garbage." It is not insulting the person themselves, but their work. But the person would probably get offended.

Sure, but the punishment at least has to be consistent otherwise it just causes confusion.

It's much easier to separate things between "Insults worth punishment" and "Not that" than between "Insults worth a strike", "Insults worth a warning", "Neither".

The clearer the line the more people can stop themselves from crossing it.

Christemo
April 4th, 2015, 06:15 PM
If it's flame towards a specific person, the solution is pretty simple. If the specific person is offended, he reports it, and moderation is therefor applied. If he's not, then he doesn't care or isn't offended, and then it is unnecessary to punish the flamer unless he's a serious repeat offender that holds that attitude towards everyone.

I3uster
April 4th, 2015, 06:21 PM
finally

Seika
April 4th, 2015, 06:24 PM
We do also hope that we won't have to follow through too often on striking for flames. Lantz has often been an exception in this forum, and between that and our notification that the staff are getting really fed up of personal attacks, we would like to imagine that situations of similar nastiness won't appear often and force us to go that far.

We are trying to be fair by putting everyone on notice that we're going to be examining flames particularly closely, and by reminding the forum that we don't just have a list of misdeeds and the punishments that fit them, to be robotically adhered to: the staff has always reserved the right to use their considered judgement to adjust to a given situation.

- - - Updated - - -

If the specific person is offended, he reports it, and moderation is therefor applied.
This still requires an exercise of our own judgement. If we punished everyone who got reported every time they got reported, most of the forum would be banned.

(That said, we still prefer reports over nothing: the users have to help us keep an eye on a forum as busy and varied as this).

Jirou
April 4th, 2015, 06:25 PM
Bit surprised it took this long to get a warning. But okay, I'll take it, mods.

Elf
April 4th, 2015, 06:34 PM
(That said, we still prefer reports over nothing: the users have to help us keep an eye on a forum as busy and varied as this).

Just show some common sense and good judgement when reporting.

Christemo
April 4th, 2015, 06:37 PM
This still requires an exercise of our own judgement. If we punished everyone who got reported every time they got reported, most of the forum would be banned.

I'm aware that it still requires judgement from the staff in this case, but an obvious thing would be to hand out private warnings or tell people off from overusing or abusing the report function.

Besides that, just be firm but not completely overboard with it. The personal attack thing should be, you know, a personal attack (ala threats, severe flaming, stuff of that order) so the staff doesn't get to hand out strikes for every use of "fuck" on the site.

mAc Chaos
April 4th, 2015, 06:49 PM
Reported.

Christemo
April 4th, 2015, 06:49 PM
http://33.media.tumblr.com/240fe56af409fbf9c3543b356c068c95/tumblr_ng3w28pFOV1sxfvy5o1_500.gif

Seika
April 4th, 2015, 06:50 PM
an obvious thing would be to hand out private warnings or tell people off from overusing or abusing the report function.
We do. That's been a thing for the entire existence of the board (and is in part the reason for that warning below the report box). It got reiterated strongly at the time of the Bittersweet incident, because people were crying about how BL was going to devolve into a permanent state of witch-hunts and Stasi informers, and the staff had to emphasise that abusing Report was and continued to be an offence itself.

But there are also plenty of cases (the majority of the ones that I've seen where we don't follow up, I think), where one can tell that the reporter has a reason behind the report, but after some staff discussion we just don't judge it to be bad enough to be actionable. And that's fine. We're not going to punish people who are a touch oversensitive.

Arashi_Leonhart
April 4th, 2015, 06:55 PM
In other words Chris you aren't gonna get banned for the fact that you just evoke itchy trigger finger in people. You'll have to find some other way.

Christemo
April 4th, 2015, 06:57 PM
thats racist

- - - Updated - - -

reported

Kelnish
April 4th, 2015, 07:02 PM
Mods bullied CV and randy pls ban

Petrikow
April 4th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Can I get a public warning I feel like as a high school delinquent I need to be a badass who gets public warnings.

Psh look at this goody two shoes, I bet he hasn't even been tempbanned.

Kelnish
April 4th, 2015, 08:12 PM
Psh look at this goody two shoes, I bet he hasn't even been tempbanned.
Wow petri you have such a large penis I am very envious.

Petrikow
April 4th, 2015, 08:14 PM
You would know.

Kelnish
April 4th, 2015, 08:15 PM
You would know.
I have not actually seen your penis so no, I would not.

Petrikow
April 4th, 2015, 08:19 PM
You're the one who brought my penis into this in the first place, don't be so coy.

Kelnish
April 4th, 2015, 08:19 PM
You're the one who brought my penis into this in the first place, don't be so coy.
I bring a lot of penises in a lot of places. I am no fish.

Petrikow
April 4th, 2015, 08:21 PM
That pun was kind of a stretch.

Kelnish
April 4th, 2015, 08:22 PM
That pun was kind of a stretch.
I've had a bottle of wine and several other drinks. That pun was the height of comedy and you know it.

Petrikow
April 4th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Wait what thread is this where am I

Kelnish
April 4th, 2015, 08:25 PM
I think this is the Lantz appreciation station?

Petrikow
April 4th, 2015, 08:26 PM
Alright I'm leavin

Smell ya later loser

Kelnish
April 4th, 2015, 08:28 PM
Alright I'm leavin

Smell ya later loser
You just Blue your load all over me.

SeiKeo
April 4th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Reported.

Spinach
April 4th, 2015, 10:56 PM
Warms my heart seeing these ugly boys Petri and Kelnish getting along so well. The rest of the forum should follow their lead.

Jirou
April 5th, 2015, 03:22 AM
Just watch until Lantz posts up for his fanfic contest again, somehow. :neco_arc:

Thedoctor
April 5th, 2015, 08:14 AM
Warms my heart seeing these ugly boys Petri and Kelnish getting along so well. The rest of the forum should follow their lead.

Are you insulting petri and kelnish here or the rest of the forum????

Kuradora
April 5th, 2015, 05:05 PM
Gracias, mods. This gives me a feeling of freshness.

Mr.Insane
April 5th, 2015, 09:43 PM
Was my warning for telling Magos to go for it? I'd agree with the warning if it is.

SINIB
April 5th, 2015, 09:45 PM
So this is mr insane

Mr.Insane
April 5th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Nice to meet you.

SINIB
April 5th, 2015, 09:47 PM
we're warning buddies

Mr.Insane
April 5th, 2015, 09:49 PM
neat, there a secret handshake?

SINIB
April 5th, 2015, 09:50 PM
that's classified information

Mr.Insane
April 5th, 2015, 09:52 PM
How classified are we talking here?

SINIB
April 5th, 2015, 09:53 PM
That's also highly classified, sorry.

Mr.Insane
April 5th, 2015, 09:55 PM
Meh, oh well. Just gonna have to give it awhile.

SINIB
April 5th, 2015, 09:55 PM
You'll need at least, 16, maybe 17 posts

Mr.Insane
April 5th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Do you mean I need 16 or 17 more or do i need my post up there?

Seika
April 5th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Was my warning for telling Magos to go for it? I'd agree with the warning if it is.
That was among the posts singled out.

Bloble
April 6th, 2015, 07:23 PM
Oh hey, first warning. With this and the earlier ban for excessive quotation of the Protomen, does that finally make me one of BL's black sheep? I'm feeling more ironic by the second.

SeiKeo
April 6th, 2015, 07:28 PM
Oh hey, first warning. With this and the earlier ban for excessive quotation of the Protomen, does that finally make me one of BL's black sheep? I'm feeling more ironic by the second.
Hello, friend. Welcome to the bad boys.

I3uster
April 6th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Didn't you get the sockpuppet ban.

You're already a BL made man.

Bloble
April 6th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Didn't you get the sockpuppet ban.

You're already a BL made man.

That's the one I was talking about, bro. Maybe making my user name I WILL NOT BE TOLD WHERE TO STAND wasn't subtle enough.

Now who on my friends list do I have to drive to a junkyard and shoot in the back?

Seika
April 6th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Try it, kid.

Neir
April 6th, 2015, 07:49 PM
wait, getting tempbanned is cool? does that mean i'm cool????

Spinach
April 6th, 2015, 07:50 PM

Welcome to the group. We're like the Branded from Berserk except instead of monsters it's mods.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah dude you're cool af

mAc Chaos
April 6th, 2015, 07:53 PM
does that make break cool

SeiKeo
April 6th, 2015, 07:55 PM
it's only cool if you got tempbanned for a legit reason and not like a doofus

Spinach
April 6th, 2015, 08:40 PM
it's only cool if you got tempbanned for a legit reason and not like a doofus

Every ban you've had is for being a doofus though

SINIB
April 6th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Just means he's not cool.

- - - Updated - - -

clearly.

SeiKeo
April 6th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Excuse me

SINIB
April 6th, 2015, 08:43 PM
No, because Break has the disqualifying factor of being Break.

Spinach
April 6th, 2015, 08:45 PM
Excuse me

You're excused, doofus

Kelnish
April 6th, 2015, 08:48 PM
I've never had a ban and I'm a bigger doofus. Checkmate, atheists.

Mcjon01
April 6th, 2015, 08:50 PM
You're only cool if your tempban had to have a custom period of effect made just for you outside the normal punishment tiers, like LeopardBear.

I3uster
April 6th, 2015, 08:53 PM
someone needs to make a tier list

and corresponding biker gang patches

Kelnish
April 6th, 2015, 08:55 PM

I'm the toppest of the tiers.

SeiKeo
April 6th, 2015, 08:57 PM

Hey, I3uster, patches.

Bloble
April 6th, 2015, 09:04 PM
Hey, I3uster, patches.

http://i.imgur.com/XnolyfH.png

- - - Updated - - -

30 hours in paint

SINIB
April 6th, 2015, 09:05 PM
A true masterpiece

Megas
April 6th, 2015, 09:12 PM
so uhhh, what's this thread's current purpose?

Or are we just going to leave it open until Lantz comes by to actually say something about it?

SeiKeo
April 6th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Having fun and posting a good time with friends.

Thedoctor
April 6th, 2015, 09:17 PM
And here I thought you were mortal enemies.

SINIB
April 6th, 2015, 09:19 PM
This is a good thread for good people

Lycodrake
April 6th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Is the just man goodness truly better off than the unjust man evil?

SeiKeo
April 6th, 2015, 09:22 PM
And here I thought you were mortal enemies.
What? Who?

- - - Updated - - -

This is a good thread for good people
Change your avatar. Spin has more posts so he gets primacy in duplicates.

Seika
April 6th, 2015, 09:27 PM
so uhhh, what's this thread's current purpose?

Or are we just going to leave it open until Lantz comes by to actually say something about it?
I resent you now. I was going to come in and close the thread, and now it looks like I'm following your orders. I'm afraid I'm going to have to permaban you to make sure that there's no possible accusations of favouritism going around.

But, yes. The issue's dealt with, BL managed a minimum of productive discussion somehow, and the productivity has run out. Good night.