PDA

View Full Version : New Mods: Yea or Nay

Pages : [1] 2

Five_X
May 11th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Staff query. Please give a reason for your answer, if you wish, just so we can get an idea if what the user opinion on this issue is.

Break
May 11th, 2015, 06:34 AM
Is Toby's ascension to admin such a big hit on your workload? I mean you just appointed MaC and Seika not even a month ago, at this rate half the forum will be mods by the end of the year

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Hey, look, it's the actual democracy forum.

There is also a staff discussion going on behind this, which will be the ultimate determiner of promotions. That said, you have the chance here to make your case for why we might want to promote no/any/more mods. We might even take into account your discussions of particular users (this had better be especially dispassionate; flaming is as wholly verbatim as ever).

We would really like this to be a thread that gets taken seriously, so going off-topic, memeing, &c is likely to be summarily deleted. You have been warned.

GhostDIGIT
May 11th, 2015, 06:35 AM
You guys are doing a good job already. There's not that much to be moderated other than the extreme derails we have and the occasional controversial somewhat disturbing conversations that come up. If you guys are struggling with moderation and think you need more help then go ahead. I personally think we're okay.

CG-3m1y4
May 11th, 2015, 06:36 AM
Hush Break, free powers everywhere. How amazing it would be?

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Is Toby's ascension to admin such a big hit on your workload? I mean you just appointed MaC and Seika not even a month ago, at this rate half the forum will be mods by the end of the year
I think pretty much everyone agreed that new mods were needed back in March (so it's over a month ago). The question is whether that's been enough: something both we and you have various views on, which we'd like to know about and take into consideration.

Kat
May 11th, 2015, 06:40 AM
I'm undecided between None and One option, but in the end I picked the latter. I think that picking another mod so soon is a bit hasty, but three of staff members stepped down while two got picked in their place, so one could argue there could be an additional mod.

Break
May 11th, 2015, 06:43 AM
I think pretty much everyone agreed that new mods were needed back in March (so it's over a month ago). The question is whether that's been enough: something both we and you have various views on, which we'd like to know about and take into consideration.
Well, i can only say what i've seen, but of the two new mods,MaC seems to only pop up when somethings happening, and you are beeing serious but overzealous. Also the sheer amount of "can i ban for this" is a little weird, like a new political party throwing in new law ideas in the meetings every day

Kat
May 11th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Also the sheer amount of "can i ban for this" is a little weird, like a new political party throwing in new law ideas in the meetings every day

Consider that those polls are popping up in 7th.

,MaC seems to only pop up when somethings happening, and you are beeing serious but overzealous.

If nothing is happening there is no need for moderation, and if there is something brewing on horizon it's natural that mods step in.

Leftovers
May 11th, 2015, 06:46 AM
Toby mentioned that the new mods are having some trouble (I guess is the word to use? though mAC doesn't really seem strained juggling two forum mod jobs) with the unexpected workload, and it wouldn't do for them to burn out, I think. So, fill in the vacancy.

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 06:48 AM
If you think you're in need of an additional mod to help with the workload, you're probably right. After all it's you guys that do the work and therefore know the conditions better than us mere mortals.

The questions then remains of who that person would be? I vote for C_V

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 06:51 AM
Also the sheer amount of "can i ban for this" is a little weird, like a new political party throwing in new law ideas in the meetings every day
Hey, look, it's the actual democracy forum.
I am astounded at the number of people who thought I was seriously setting forum policy through public polls in the Seventh which threatened to ban people who disagreed.

As to the workload ... all I can honestly say is that there are mixed opinions about it among the mods too. Don't try to read our minds on that part of the discussion, because we're not totally settled on it ourselves. This is very much meant to be from a user experience point of view; we're talking over the mod experience part.

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Discussion to that thread, people. Like I said, this is for the new mod issue only.

CG-3m1y4
May 11th, 2015, 07:05 AM
I think people actually could understand the joke limits already. No need to call mod and raise a banhammer against such scenes.

If the discussion degrades to flames and insults however, is another story entirely.

And as of the topic, if it's really necessary to reduce staff's workload then I'm all for it.

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 07:19 AM
Toby mentioned that the new mods are having some trouble (I guess is the word to use? though mAC doesn't really seem strained juggling two forum mod jobs) with the unexpected workload, and it wouldn't do for them to burn out, I think. So, fill in the vacancy.

Mac's told me it's quite a bit, and that people actually using the report function would make it easier, because apparently people do not use it that much.

Understandable, because it's basically like crying to mommy when you can't win.

That was sarcasm, please use the report function, fellow users. Except for on my posts. Don't report me, because I am perfect.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 07:22 AM
One more so the voting process can't stall on the mod level too. Workload-wise you guys have to know how many more you need but its either one or three to prevent that from happening.

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 07:25 AM
One more so the voting process can't stall on the mod level too. Workload-wise you guys have to know how many more you need but its either one or three to prevent that from happening.

Rather than adding another, how about just getting rid of one

Someone who does a lot of work behind the scenes, but isn't seen much publicly

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 07:25 AM
One of the points that has come up in our own discussions (and which lead to the new line in my sig) is that we would be able to work much more efficiently if the users were better about reporting, such that new mods would be less necessary. Throwing new people at the forum is carpet-bombing a forest to kill a deer; reports are arming us with the latest in biosensors and sniper rifles.

We acknowledge that people aren't likely to pull the report on an argument they're in themselves, which is why it's necessary for people to yell to us when a discussion's gone bad that they're not involved in as well, that they're just seeing in their thread or even on the Activity Stream.

Siriel
May 11th, 2015, 07:27 AM
I hesitated between one and two and ended up picking one. One or two more active mods from the users' side of things would be pretty helpful in quick responses to derails or such I think; also it would actually be increasing the number of mods from what it used to be instead of just maintaining the balance like what ended up happening.

3+ would be really silly I'd think.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 07:31 AM
Everyone, all the mods

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 07:32 AM
The question is also who you would add.

Who is even left as good mod candidate, aldeayeah and You? And Siriel since he came up earlier.

Break
May 11th, 2015, 07:33 AM
Well, if you need one, why not restore McJohn's mod powers?

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 07:34 AM
CV boys are obviously banned from mod consideration and this probably goes double to CV ex-boyfriends.

also leo was the mod mcjon never was

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 07:35 AM
The question is also who you would add.

Who is even left as good mod candidate, aldeayeah and You?

I don't know enough about Aldayeah's character to even begin to comment on him, but I think You would be fine.

And Siriel since he came up earlier.

I'll webcam me hanging myself in protest.

Five_X
May 11th, 2015, 07:42 AM
Remember, if you report something, no one will know it was you! It will all be our secret, and we'll appreciate you more for it.

Personally, I support no new mods. Getting more people to report posts and derails will increase the speed at which we can deal with things. As a result of that, people should start to behave a little better, albeit gradually.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 07:43 AM
What exactly do you want us to report though since flames can only be seen as such by the guy who gets hit with it, and thus reports by other people are kinda irrelevant.

So more derail reporting?

Break
May 11th, 2015, 07:43 AM
CV boys are obviously banned from mod consideration and this probably goes double to CV ex-boyfriends.

also leo was the mod mcjon never was

Ah right, McJohn just feels so much like mod-material that i s9mehow had my brain associate him as one for years

Regarding the CV hard gay sex case, should we not forgive a mistake a good man did with his penis? We men make mistakes with our penises all the time.

GhostDIGIT
May 11th, 2015, 07:44 AM
So a lot of us share the "If they really need another one" opinion that's good to know.....Have I been a good boy?

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 07:44 AM
Yeah, let's forget these cases. And make me admin.

Break
May 11th, 2015, 07:48 AM
Sorry Bluster, but an Austrian in a position of power is a risk i want to avoid at all costs.

Marmadillo
May 11th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Well if the mods feel that they have too much workload then that's that. Doesn't matter how many mods there are, but what they do or don't do.

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 07:51 AM
What exactly do you want us to report though since flames can only be seen as such by the guy who gets hit with it, and thus reports by other people are kinda irrelevant.
There's stuff that's blatant enough baiting or flaming that anyone can see it. The relationships of people to each other on the board are generally pretty well known, and it won't always be that hard to work it out. We can (and, generally, will) consult the affected party too, if a third user sends in the report.
There's also the fact that if something creates a sufficiently awful forum atmosphere, we'll work on that whether it was taken badly or not. Reports help us work out how nasty something's perceived to be.

So a lot of us share the "If they really need another one" opinion that's good to know.....Have I been a good boy?
I don't like people having that opinion and voting based on it. Like I said, this is about the user experience. We know our workloads and can make our own judgements on that.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 07:54 AM
The user experience is more affected by who the mods are than by how many.

Not to be mean or anything but if you demodded Hymn and Artee over night nobody would notice, the same can't be said about IRUn or Five.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 07:57 AM
Yeah, seika is right. See, reports help us out a lot because it helps us gain some perspective we lack on how things are intended and/or perceived. In other cases, sometimes things need to be talked over. As a random example, the other day mew got annoyed because I used the phrase "derp speaker". I have been saying that for like 5 years, and I had no idea it might be offensive.

Now, we talked it over and solved the problem, but I am still going to stop saying it anyway to prevent a similar problem in the future. Reports are the same, a lot of time problems continue just because the mod team has absolutely no idea something is a problem

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 07:58 AM
Who the mods might be is in this thread's remit to talk about too. We have candidates, but we wouldn't turn down more to choose from.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 08:00 AM
As a random example, the other day mew got annoyed because I used the phrase "derp speaker". I have been saying that for like 5 years, and I had no idea it might be offensive.

wtf

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM
I guess I'll elaborate on my suggestions then:

aldeayeah seems to behave like a grown-up person who doesn't get mad at forum shit anymore, in general a very civil guy. Main problem being that he's kinda inactive but he does come on often enough and posts. Probably a good mediator, not so much FORUM PATROL

You is active on pretty much all high-traffic boards and like aldeayeah never seems to get baited by anything. You never see (presumably her, basing this on a random guess, i have no idea) her flaming anybody either. Cool head, high activity, pretty much all you need.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 08:03 AM
wtf

what wtf?

GhostDIGIT
May 11th, 2015, 08:05 AM
Is Thedoctor by any means a candidate?

- - - Updated - - -

what wtf?

I think he means he's surprised that such a thing occurred.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 08:05 AM
what wtf?

Our civilization has come a long way for "derp speaker" to already be considered offensive.

In fact that entire row just looks like some kind of sick Tobias joke, since it wasn't very funny and clearly couldn't be serious?

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 08:08 AM

God I hope not.

Our civilization has come a long way for "derp speaker" to already be considered offensive.

To give it a little more context, Tobias always called people with good JP skills derp speakers, and Mew interpreted derp as retarded, and was like "really man?"

In the end it turned out he wasn't really that offended and realized there was no harmful intent in the phrase, but Tobias has decided to find new terminology for rune scholars that has no chance of offending people over misunderstandings.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Yeah I knew of that habit, that's why I thought it was weird.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 08:10 AM
see I would have thought there was no chance, but if it happened once, it could happen again.

besides, lets face it, the joke got old, even for me, so its not like I am exactly sacrificing my first born son on the alter of civility here.

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 08:10 AM
I mean, I understand how Mewarmo came to that interpretation of the intent, I think it's quite something to actually interpret it that way but I don't think it was weird.

Five_X
May 11th, 2015, 08:17 AM
I'll take this time to note that I have the utmost respect for derp speakers.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Derp speakers, ​eh?

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 08:19 AM
actually part of the thing that sold me was after the fact I checked over the conversation and noted mew seemed to be getting more short tempered as the conversation went on. At the time I figured it was just because tempers occasionally flair up in an argument, but now I am almost positive its because he honestly thought I was repeatedly condescending and calling him stupid. If he had never said anything (and notably, calling out a mod presumably requires a certain amount of testicular fortitude) I wouldn't have known that was something I needed to work on.

so to redirect the conversation back on track, reports are often something similar. In many cases, when people ask why didnt we fix this or that situation, the honest answer is we didnt know about it.

Marmadillo
May 11th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Can't we agree to use "moonspeaker" as an established meme, until Seika bans it?

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 08:21 AM
(and notably, calling out a mod presumably requires a certain amount of testicular fortitude)

I would like to post on a forum where the moderators have a good enough reputation that calling one out isn't considered daunting by the mods themselves.

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 08:22 AM

God I hope not.

I think this is an adequate answer to that question.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Can't we agree to use "moonspeaker" as an established meme, until Seika bans it?

The implication that only established memes are acceptable on BL disturbs me greatly, my ancestors have experimented with memery since several generations back and I do not want to have to abandon my family art.

GhostDIGIT
May 11th, 2015, 08:24 AM
Well I was just curious.

Break
May 11th, 2015, 08:27 AM
I would like to post on a forum where the moderators have a good enough reputation that calling one out isn't considered daunting by the mods themselves.

I HAVE A DREAM
THAT ONE DAY, THE CHILDREN OF C_V AND THE CHILDREN OF SEIKA
CAN POST UPON THE THREAD OF FREEDOM
AS BROTHERS
UNDER THE SAME BANNER
I HAVE A DREAM

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Calling out the mods takes balls?

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 08:29 AM
No please don't take my completely serious post and springboard off it to make these kinds of posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Calling out the mods takes balls?

Tobias seems to think so.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 08:31 AM

it shouldnt be. and to be fair, I get bitched out all the time. I have been called hypocritical and biased, had reports filed against me, Hell, I even had some jack asses get caught trying to come up with a plan to have me framed for a sock puppet supporter like Leo was, and thus removed from my spot and preferably perma'd, and all manner of other stuff as well. Notably, I have never once hit someone for it.

Still, just thinking about it objectively, it must be somewhat worrisome.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 08:33 AM
Perhaps some newer members have that perception.

Worry not, they pretty much never do anything of worth so you don't have anything to fear!

GhostDIGIT
May 11th, 2015, 08:34 AM
I've done some stuff of worth!...I think.

Leftovers
May 11th, 2015, 08:36 AM
a plan to have me framed for a sock puppet supporter like Leo was

Deadly secrets are now revealed.

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Hell, I even had some jack asses get caught trying to come up with a plan to have me framed for a sock puppet supporter like Leo was

Can you make an exception to mod confidentiality and tell us who tried to do that because I'll be honest that's really funny. No offense, but it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Deadly secrets are now revealed.

oh shit

Break
May 11th, 2015, 08:37 AM
it shouldnt be. and to be fair, I get bitched out all the time. I have been called hypocritical and biased, had reports filed against me, Hell, I even had some jack asses get caught trying to come up with a plan to have me framed for a sock puppet supporter like Leo was, and thus removed from my spot and preferably perma'd, and all manner of other stuff as well. Notably, I have never once hit someone for it.

Still, just thinking about it objectively, it must be somewhat worrisome.
Lol seriously? Sounds like some people taking stuff way too serious, going to such lengths......

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 08:38 AM
No comment.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 08:38 AM
ROFL

Megas
May 11th, 2015, 08:41 AM
I feel like I'd be ok with one or two more mods maybe.

Maybe just to help keep things like the Baltimore thread etc from blowing up.

- - - Updated - - -

I even had some jack asses get caught trying to come up with a plan to have me framed for a sock puppet supporter like Leo was

is this how the tobias family food puppet incident was interpreted?

CG-3m1y4
May 11th, 2015, 08:43 AM
So, we choose who would be mods by ourselves?

In that case, I choose none. Can't have democracy ruining any more power in this forum.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Can you make an exception to mod confidentiality and tell us who tried to do that because I'll be honest that's really funny. No offense, but it is.

- - - Updated - - -

oh shit

I wont tell you who, but I will tell you how. Mostly because its funny as balls

So, a while back (more then a month, less then a year) a group got together on IRC to bitch about me (as they are want to do).

This is normal, what was less normal was the decision that I needed to be taken down because at the time since I was considered to be the only really active mod, if i wasnt around "we will be able to have a lot more 'fun'". And yes, our mastermind actually had fun in quotation marks. For the next several hours, our mastermind formed an crack team (emphasis on crack) to come up with a devilish plan.

What our intrepid crew of brain surgeons and rocket scientists decided to do, was to wait till I went on vacation or had some emergency come up, it was specifically noted that I occasionally vanished because my mom went back into the hospital. The second that occured, they would have "someone" come back and sockpuppet, and in fairness to our mensa atheletes and braniacs, CV was never specifically mentioned. Only that "someone" would come back, and would immediatly begin forwarding me damning looking PMs. then some chat logs were to be forged on IRC and then someone would forward them to the Admins. The idea being that while I was gone and couldnt defend myself, the Admins would check my PMs, see the messages sent to me, and that along with the IRC logs would be enough to get me kicked out. By the time I got back the ball was (supposedly, according to our "special" crew) going to have been moving so fast that I wouldn't be able to clear my name.

The plan was never put into place. I am not sure if its because I haven't needed to go on vacation since it was devised or if the brilliant tacticians and evil geniuses who came up with the idea all ran out of whatever illicit substance they were imbibing to make that seem like something that would ever work.

I suppose I should be offended but in actuality all I can feel about this is a nigh delirious sense of amusement. I haven't laughed so hard in years.

Leftovers
May 11th, 2015, 08:49 AM
What in the actual hell.

GhostDIGIT
May 11th, 2015, 08:50 AM
My sides!

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 08:52 AM
These guys must have been absolutely beyond dumb to get caught if they were conspiring over IRC and never even acted on their plan.

That, or someone snitched.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 08:56 AM
How did you even find out about this like jeezus.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 08:56 AM
Uh-huh.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 08:58 AM
These guys must have been absolutely beyond dumb to get caught if they were conspiring over IRC and never even acted on their plan.

That, or someone snitched.
maybe it was a good ol bungle boy double bottom gambit a la science club

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 08:59 AM
maybe it was a good ol bungle boy double bottom gambit a la science club

Bungle boys don't use IRC.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 08:59 AM
How did you even find out about this like jeezus.

A magician never reveals his secrets.

I will say one of the things that really sold it for our intrepid crew as when one of them was talking about going through my post history and monitoring me on regalia for a while so they could see how I chatted with people, one of them even suggested trying to write a few bad puns to make it sound authentic. I do believe his/her exact words were "if you take a shot at the king...you can't miss"

Seriously. by the end of this I was rolling on the floor. I wish I had thought to make popcorn.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 09:00 AM
That's why it's a double-bottom.

I3uster
I know, just saying it might have been the same general idea since the science club thing was talked about in the History thread.

Thedoctor
This sounds too good to be true.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Sounds too weird to be true

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Sounds too weird to be true

I mean it's not unreasonable that this would work from the view of the perpetrators, doctored logs got Spinach banned that one time.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 09:11 AM
That or Tobias is weaving quite the tale.

Spinach
I consider myself in with the anti-establishment crowd enough to have known about something like this, and I don't, so I just can't even believe this really happened.

I3uster
It's not coming from any secret cabals I know but only the mad know what truly happens in corners like jackchat so idk

Mcjon01
Remember, if you report something, no one will know it was you!
The mods will know.

Leftovers
May 11th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I just think it's really weird for #regalia people to do something like this, since I think that's the only place where Toby mentioned his mother being hospitalised, and no one new has come in the chat in that timeframe except Janx. But I could be wrong on all these things.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 09:14 AM
That or Tobias is weaving quite the tale.

nope, this is a thing that actually happened.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/1S6UsY_4cFE/hqdefault.jpg

I just think it's really weird for #regalia people to do something like this, since I think that's the only place where Toby mentioned his mother being hospitalised, and no one new has come in the chat in that timeframe except Janx. But I could be wrong on all these things.

actually if you had read closely you would have realized it couldnt have been on regalia since our genius crew was thinking about sending scouts to watch me post over there.

also, I talk about mom on BL, even made a blog about it a few times.

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Now, did it actually happen, or do you just think it happened because someone sliced up some logs and PM'd them your way

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 09:16 AM
Now, did it actually happen, or do you just think it happened because someone sliced up some logs and PM'd them your way

nope, straight up watched it happen.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Then why doesn't anyone else know about it?

Christemo
Give Siriel the spot he was denied. Now at least 1 admin actually knows who he is!

Leftovers
actually if you had read closely you would have realized it couldnt have been on regalia since our genius crew was thinking about sending scouts to watch me post over there.

also, I talk about mom on BL, even made a blog about it a few times.

Right, that reference to #regalia threw me on a loop because lol that's too far out-there.

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Give Siriel the spot he was denied. Now at least 1 admin actually knows who he is!

Stop.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 09:18 AM
actually several people do. just most of them are either the perpetrators, me, or the other members of the mod team because I screen shotted the whole thing and showed it to them so they could enjoy the laugh too.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 09:19 AM
This throws me in massive self-doubt, am I no longer cool to be part of all the hip new conspiracies?

:(

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 09:20 AM
actually several people do. just most of them are either the perpetrators, me, or the other members of the mod team because I screen shotted the whole thing and showed it to them so they could enjoy the laugh too.

Wouldn't something like this be a ban at the least though?

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 09:21 AM

This is like one of those fascist regimes who invent extreme dissenters just so they can show their people how wrong the people who oppose them are.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Wouldn't something like this be a ban at the least though?

well two things on that, generally speaking we consider IRC to be hands off. had our crew of rocket scientists actually acted on it, yeah, they would have all gotten a no questions asked perma. but since they were only conspiring, and further not conspiring on BL, the team told me to make the final call. I decided that since they were clearly no actual threat, and since if watching the conversation had been any better it would have literally ended in ejaculation, I decided to cut them a break.

Five_X
May 11th, 2015, 09:24 AM
I actually don't remember any of that, Tobi. Not trying to make you seem dishonest or anything, but I really can't recall that.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 09:24 AM
This is like one of those fascist regimes who invent extreme dissenters just so they can show their people how wrong the people who oppose them are.

you ever feel its kind of ironic to tell specifically to an admin he is a fascist evil dictator who will brook no dissent, knowing for a fact you will face no criticism or punishment for saying such? I have always wondered about that?

I actually don't remember any of that, Tobi. Not trying to make you seem dishonest or anything, but I really can't recall that.

gimme a sec, ill link you the conversation

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 09:26 AM
you ever feel its kind of ironic to tell specifically to an admin he is a fascist evil dictator who will brook no dissent, knowing for a fact you will face no criticism or punishment for saying such? I have always wondered about that?

But I didn't do that.

I thought you of all people could recognize a joke.

Leftovers
May 11th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Ok so uh

When toby was made admin there was a sockpuppet a la bittersweet joke made on skype, but the tone was such that it can't even be misconstrued out of context, let alone when being in the conversation. And that one joke was the only instance that I could find, but it looks pretty similar to what is being described here, only if blown massively out of proportion. And since I'm pretty sure both on the character of the people in the conversation and the fact that they aren't dumb as bricks, I am very much confused on the matter.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 09:33 AM
Ok so uh

When toby was made admin there was a sockpuppet a la bittersweet joke made on skype, but the tone was such that it can't even be misconstrued out of context, let alone when being in the conversation. And that one joke was the only instance that I could find, but it looks pretty similar to what is being described here, only if blown massively out of proportion. And since I'm pretty sure both on the character of the people in the conversation and the fact that they aren't dumb as bricks, I am very much confused on the matter.

if it was when I was made admin, that was way to late, this happened months ago

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 09:34 AM
i assume toby has the mental capacity to recognize somebody recommending the creation of a sockpuppet called "bitternotsweet" is not exactly a 100% serious affair

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Yeah, timeframe doesn't add up

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 09:35 AM
i assume toby has the mental capacity to recognize somebody recommending the creation of a sockpuppet called "bitternotsweet" is not exactly a 100% serious affair
Administration is something that has to be taken very seriously, friend.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 09:40 AM

ok, linked it, go have a look

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 09:40 AM
TL;DR: random babble from Cruor

I can understand the heavy workload. But there are many things you can do.

I don't think active mods like Seika, Mac, and tobias need to burn themselves out, infact, while I suggested You, who's super active, to I3, I was actually more worried about him/her becoming not as active (and meanwhile I suggested aldeayeah because it would make him more active than he is now).

There are multiple things you can do besides 'give active users who aren't trolls modship', you could assign boards to mods so they don't have to look at every post that appears in the What's New Page. Of course that also has problems of its own and lacks efficiency (as its easy to watch for posts in multiple boards, even forums) and the people (as while there's quite a few active mods- there are some super active ones in comparison) to really do it. And you can't really ask a volunteer to constantly monitor their respective board.

But that's the issue, the solution is either to simply let the users do their thing, the other mods becoming active, or getting new ones. The problem is, choosing new ones without also hampering the community (for instance I mentioned You before. I think GD would be a bit worse without the activity he/she brings. I guess I could say the same thing about Mewarmo who's gotten active again after his long hiatus of sparse activity, and even then only in AMG. If he were a mod, a lot of content would be hampered. This is also why I don't think Seika was an ideal choice as now she can't do as much for the Doc or something. heck when a wiki appears it will be chaos) is difficult.

I guess what depends is the goal of the new mods. If you want people to stay on topic you'd need a lot more mods (however if you get more people to use the report function less are necessary). But if its just to manage the forum better and to make better decisions few are necessary.

I think asking for how many mods we want is dumb. Its how many the mod team (and admins) feels is needed or thinks among themselves should be a mods.

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Like Cruor said if you believe you need more mods than ask us who we think is most suited.

Five_X
May 11th, 2015, 10:09 AM
ok, linked it, go have a look

Well...

I can't mince words. To call what you showed me a deep conspiracy against you, is being pretty exaggeratory about it all.

It was pretty obviously not a serious attempt at framing you for anything. I'm sorry, Tobi, but that's how I interpret this whole thing. I can at least confirm what you're saying did happen, but maybe you misremembered it when you posted earlier.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Like Cruor said if you believe you need more mods than ask us who we think is most suited.

If you suggest someone please provide a reason too because usually then people just end up suggesting those who they get along with.

which is all fine and good but doesnt really help anybody

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 10:15 AM
I suggest Cruor since he seems outspoken on these issues and a clever guy who I get along with. #VoteCruor.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 10:21 AM
People hardly take me seriously half the time!

And I thought you left #notes because you hated me :<

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Well...

I can't mince words. To call what you showed me a deep conspiracy against you, is being pretty exaggeratory about it all.

It was pretty obviously not a serious attempt at framing you for anything. I'm sorry, Tobi, but that's how I interpret this whole thing. I can at least confirm what you're saying did happen, but maybe you misremembered it when you posted earlier.

I mean if it's "off-site stuff" and was brushed off for being just that then why do you even need to keep it confidential who was in there

Because honestly I just wanna know

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 10:27 AM
People hardly take me seriously half the time!

And I thought you left #notes because you hated me :<
????

If you actually thought that oh God no, now I feel all bad. Not even close to it. Just didn't want to be IRC at the time.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Well, you left after yelling at me and then getting annoyed at the chat and hadn't come back since! (well, you did come back to #league)

What else was I supposed to think!?

Cruor felt bad that he got you to do that.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 10:39 AM
I don't think I was yelling at only you. If it helps.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 10:48 AM
A mod has to be someone able to take tough actions, who understands when rules override personal attachments.
Therefore I honestly think that no one could be a better candidate than the one who supplied this evidence.

In addition I think that this shit shouldnt be excused because "it was just a joke ", since that's what always gets said.

And what of the sockpuppet thing back in November?

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 10:51 AM
It's a joke if it was actually a joke.

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 10:53 AM

The only reason things actually got fixed there was because half the site, including the three most active translators, were ready to pack the fuck up and leave if the admins didn't stop rules lawyering over a dumb unnecessary rule to satisfy a petty grudge.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a joke if it was actually a joke.

But yeah actually this.

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 10:54 AM

There's a difference between rules and rules that are ridiculous. A mod should understand when and how rules should be enforced.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 10:56 AM
And how would you know?
Well, by examining events in their proper context, and by recognizing patterns therein.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 11:01 AM
Don't quote Evangelion articles at me.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 11:07 AM
uh no you idiot

dont get personal.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 11:07 AM
uh no you idiot
It's a joke, social midget.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 11:09 AM
that goes for you too

Spinach
May 11th, 2015, 11:11 AM
For the record this is 'friendly banter,' where two friends will exchange harsh words without ill intent, and indeed as a sign of endearment.

Rafflesiac
May 11th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Well, by examining events in their proper context, and by recognizing patterns therein.
So... mind-reading?

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 11:28 AM
nice meme

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 11:30 AM
That is actually you.
That's the joke.

That's why I think it is nice.

im a narcissist okay

kay4today
May 11th, 2015, 11:31 AM
can i be a mod without doing any mod things? i just want my name to be green

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 11:33 AM
There's a precedent for it.

RacingeR
May 11th, 2015, 11:39 AM
I voted for one more mod. I think one extra mod, as long as he or she is active, would help matters a lot, in reducing the workload of the current active mods.

I, of course, propose myself as a candidate, so I may help to usher on the era of the RP section supremacy.

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 11:40 AM
There's a precedent for it.

It's almost like you're insulting them.

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 11:42 AM
I voted for one more mod. I think one extra mod, as long as he or she is active, would help matters a lot, in reducing the workload of the current active mods.

I, of course, propose myself as a candidate, so I may help to usher on the era of the RP section supremacy.

Mods please dont elect an actual unironic masterracer.

RacingeR
May 11th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Mods please dont elect an actual unironic masterracer.

if you think im an actual unironic masterracer i think i actually understand now from where that dumb meme came from

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Is it a meme if its the truth though?

Fel
May 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Is it a meme if its the truth though?
A meme (/ˈmiːm/ meem) is "an idea, behavior, or style that spreads from person to person within a culture". A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols, or practices that can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals, or other imitable phenomena with a mimicked theme. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate, and respond to selective pressures.

The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα pronounced [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, "imitated thing", from μιμεῖσθαι mimeisthai, "to imitate", from μῖμος mimos, "mime") coined by British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976) as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catch-phrases, fashion, and the technology of building arches.

Proponents theorize that memes are a viral phenomenon that may evolve by natural selection in a manner analogous to that of biological evolution. Memes do this through the processes of variation, mutation, competition, and inheritance, each of which influences a meme's reproductive success. Memes spread through the behavior that they generate in their hosts. Memes that propagate less prolifically may become extinct, while others may survive, spread, and (for better or for worse) mutate. Memes that replicate most effectively enjoy more success, and some may replicate effectively even when they prove to be detrimental to the welfare of their hosts.

A field of study called memetics arose in the 1990s to explore the concepts and transmission of memes in terms of an evolutionary model. Criticism from a variety of fronts has challenged the notion that academic study can examine memes empirically. However, developments in neuroimaging may make empirical study possible. Some commentators in the social sciences question the idea that one can meaningfully categorize culture in terms of discrete units, and are especially critical of the biological nature of the theory's underpinnings. Others have argued that this use of the term is the result of a misunderstanding of the original proposal.

Dawkins's own position is somewhat ambiguous: he obviously welcomed N. K. Humphrey's suggestion that "memes should be considered as living structures, not just metaphorically" and wanted to regard memes as "physically residing in the brain". Later, he argued that his original intentions, presumably before his approval of Humphrey's opinion, had been simpler. At the New Directors' Showcase 2013 in Cannes, Dawkins' opinion on memetics was deliberately ambiguous.

- - - Updated - - -

So yes. It is a meme.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 11:53 AM
we know

Fel
May 11th, 2015, 11:56 AM
we know
Nice meme bro.

Kirby
May 11th, 2015, 11:59 AM
I don't feel like reading 3 pages, who are the candidates so far?

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Nobody suggested on the mod side of things so bring forth some suggestions of your own.

with a reason probably

Bobin
May 11th, 2015, 12:44 PM
Nay! I'm against electing more police! The ones we have are enough.

Break
May 11th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Christy's body is made of memes.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody suggested on the mod side of things so bring forth some suggestions of your own.

with a reason probably

Beeing a mod is like beeing a class president, those who want to do it have no idea what they'd do, and the ones who could do it dont want to because its too much work/stress.

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 01:08 PM
Proposed candidates so far in this thread:
Aldeayeah
Cruor
Siriel
You

Kirby
May 11th, 2015, 01:10 PM
I'd be fine with Cruor or You

Megas
May 11th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Proposed candidates so far in this thread:
Aldeayeah
Cruor
Siriel
You

Any of those are fine by me

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Going down the list of postcounts I suggest I3uster as a good person to fob mod work off onto.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM
not my good friend I3uster :(

Kirby
May 11th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Yeah, I think I3 or Bridge would make good mods too.

Neir
May 11th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Real talk I think I3uster would actually make a pretty good mod.

mAc Chaos
May 11th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Christy's body is made of memes.

- - - Updated - - -

Beeing a mod is like beeing a class president, those who want to do it have no idea what they'd do, and the ones who could do it dont want to because its too much work/stress.
It's more like being a teacher. Except in this case you have like four teachers who have to run the entire school.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Four?

So you admit the other mods do nothing, good to know we're on the same page!

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 01:27 PM
TFW literally forgetting Artee and Hymn

Leftovers
May 11th, 2015, 01:31 PM
Off that list, aldea would be good from a mature mediator standpoint but I don't think he'd want to take up the job given his current forum presence, Cruor would be funny as hell but I can't see someone that loves argments and hates bans of all kind as an ideal mod, You is a precious forum resource that should be left uncorrupted to continue its divine work, and Siriel is a robot with only the ignore list keeping him in check from the innocent populace.

My token proposition would be Bridge, for a variety of reasons that are probably not as important as the stigma of memeboy that he holds. So lol.

Christemo
Ah the "They actually do work behind the scenes" meme

Seika
'like' four.

mAc Chaos
May 11th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Man I checked Dustloop, they're about the same size as BL. 150 mods.

Strife ❤️
May 11th, 2015, 01:35 PM

I actually have this on another site, my name is admin color but I'm not an admin or even a mod.

I asked Darples here to change my name color but he wouldn't.

Beasts-No-Fun-Allowed-Lair

- - - Updated - - -

if everyone is a mod, no one is

Megas
May 11th, 2015, 01:35 PM
If newer people are allowed, I'd be pretty happy giving it to Rafflesiac

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 01:36 PM

FGs cause way more nacl than any eroge ever could.

okay thats wrong best girl wars can get ugly but this is not a standard bishoujoge so whatever

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 01:36 PM
TFW literally forgetting Artee and Hymn Who?

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Well ye, I already talked about this before but the fuss on BL about ye holy internet powers is ridiculous, just appoint a bunch of people, see how they do, remove them if they're bad/ineffective/inactive and just keep doing that until the spread is satisfactory.

Every goddamn mod keeps complaining about how hard it is but then go to great lengths to not actually share their holy powers with others to make it easier, instead creating these really long fussy procedures about the forum.

Fucking lighten up, just test a bunch of people. This entire thing is stupid.

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Proposed candidates so far in this thread: Aldeayeah Cruor Siriel You
Aldeayeah: Can't say anything about him.
Cruor: I don't think he's serious enough.
Siriel: I think he's too serious and will start cracking sown on people.
You: You from what it seems has some important function that I'm unaware.

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Well ye, I already talked about this before but the fuss on BL about ye holy internet powers is ridiculous, just appoint a bunch of people, see how they do, remove them if they're bad/ineffective/inactive and just keep doing that until the spread is satisfactory.
Look, the secret mod moaning forum is a precious resource, OK?

Speaking of secret mod moaning, you can insult Artee and Hymn's work ethics when you have access to that forum and can see for yourself. Not before.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Rofl, my good friend LeopardBear has told me all about it.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 01:42 PM
Speaking of secret mod moaning, you can insult Artee and Hymn's work ethics when you have access to that forum and can see for yourself. Not before.

You can always just tell us what it is.

Milbunk
May 11th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Do the people suggested even want to be mods? I remember one of the big issues about finding mods is that not everybody wants to do that kind of job which is understandable.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 01:49 PM
I swear, every god damned mod gets such an attitude because of their special cool kid status that they instantly become more and more insufferable.

We need to spread out the mod powers among more people so they feel less special.

Strife ❤️
May 11th, 2015, 01:49 PM
I was with you for a while Petrikow but this is starting to sound like communism.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I just subscribe to the cultural theory of the Jantelov.

Nihilm
May 11th, 2015, 01:51 PM
I was with you for a while Petrikow but this is starting to sound like communism.

Bring forth the socialist BL

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 01:52 PM
Google Ron Paul.

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 01:54 PM
Look, the secret mod moaning forum is a precious resource, OK?

Then please enlighten us about these HEAVY burdens and IMPORTANT work ethics that are so IMPORTANT that they can't be shared with the common peasant.

Hymn even straight up doesn't have enough time to even be on the forum besides the mod forum so that's also a work ethics issue because thats kind of like having a non-member mod the community.

LoyaltL
May 11th, 2015, 01:55 PM
I swear, every god damned mod gets such an attitude because of their special cool kid status that they instantly become more and more insufferable.

We need to spread out the mod powers among more people so they feel less special.

Democracy seems to be what you're looking for.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 01:56 PM
Can you please not apply your political agendas upon me?

This is an internet forum.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 02:01 PM
Off that list, aldea would be good from a mature mediator standpoint but I don't think he'd want to take up the job given his current forum presence, Cruor would be funny as hell but I can't see someone that loves argments and hates bans of all kind as an ideal mod, You is a precious forum resource that should be left uncorrupted to continue its divine work, and Siriel is a robot with only the ignore list keeping him in check from the innocent populace.

My token proposition would be Bridge, for a variety of reasons that are probably not as important as the stigma of memeboy that he holds. So lol.

I do not hate bans. I hate permabans. I'd rather do away with warnings and just ban them for a x days. Permas are dumb. They can be banned everytime time they are unbanned after some small offense if they aren't learning. But banning someone for something 4 years ago is dumb.

And heck Mr. Plsbanme who gets banned everytime his term finishes would be treated as a running joke like food after awhile.

- - - Updated - - -

The only quirp I have with normal bans is I can't argue with them while people are banned :P

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I do not hate bans. I hate permabans. I'd rather do away with warnings and just ban them for a x days. Permas are dumb. They can be banned everytime time they are unbanned after some small offense if they aren't learning. But banning someone for something 4 years ago is dumb.

And heck Mr. Plsbanme who gets banned everytime his term finishes would be treated as a running joke like food after awhile.

So what you're saying is #FreeNahash?

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 02:06 PM
I was with you for a while Petrikow but this is starting to sound like communism. Decentralization would be a bad choice indeed.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Uhhh sure. But I think the same is true for a lot of people that have been banned or are and have been at risk of being banned.

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 02:08 PM
It's not decentralization, but rather the expansion of the bureaucracy.

Jesus Christ, its like trying to argue with Russian nobles from the 18th century.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 02:08 PM
im opposed to any change that has a chance of bringing mike back

Kirby
May 11th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Bring him back, then ban him again. It won't take long, probably

Thedoctor
May 11th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Bring him back, then ban him again. It won't take long, probably

Do you truly want that?

You
May 11th, 2015, 02:16 PM
I'm honored to be nominated, but I think I'm going to be less active in the coming months so I won't have the time to do the position the justice it needs.
13uster would be good, he's been around a long time. Actually for the first year I was here I kept thinking he was a mod.
Raff, Kirby, or Me would be good as well.
I like Curor's idea of mods have responsibility of certain boards. While they don't have to stay there and other mods can mod in that board, it should be like if there's a problem that needs addressing you can go to that person instead of shouting "mods!"

Lycodrake
May 11th, 2015, 02:19 PM
The Whimsical Mongoose has been answered by Nasu. That qualifies him for mod-dom, right? =P

Five_X
May 11th, 2015, 02:19 PM
You don't have to shout "mods" you can just say hi to one of us with our names or on Twitter/IRC/Skype/the report button. I have easy and obvious email notifications on my phone, so unless I'm super busy at work I get to reports almost immediately.

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 02:22 PM
You don't have to shout "mods" you can just say hi to one of us with our names or on Twitter/IRC/Skype/the report button. I have easy and obvious email notifications on my phone, so unless I'm super busy at work I get to reports almost immediately.
Sorry babe I don't bring business into private communication.

You
May 11th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Well, it'd be nice to have an avatar to a board.

Strife ❤️
May 11th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Make me mod of AMMD.

Milbunk
May 11th, 2015, 02:26 PM
I really don't think I3uster has the time for this either, he just had to drop out of my contest as a judge and made a statement stating that he's probably not going to enter any more of them because of his waning interest.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I got banned I'm not even eligible.

Kirby
May 11th, 2015, 02:30 PM
I got banned I'm not even eligible.
Shit, that eliminates like all of my candidates

Five_X
Well, it'd be nice to have an avatar to a board.

Well that's pretty much me already tbh, I visit just about everywhere, and so do mAc and Seika and Tobi and so on.

Megas
I really don't think I3uster has the time for this either, he just had to drop out of my contest as a judge and made a statement stating that he's probably not going to enter any more of them because of his waning interest.

Just saying, I wouldn't take lack of interest in being a fanfic judge as proof of someone's level of free time.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM
Shit, that eliminates like all of my candidates
Did you ever get banned btw, you would probably do well.

Kirby
May 11th, 2015, 02:33 PM
The most serious warning I've ever got was a mod posting "pls no bully" in response to one of my posts so I'm like cleanish.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 02:34 PM
consider yourself nominated

Christemo
I only have 9 bans I'll take the job, mods.

I3uster
you need an even number so they cancel each other out

Petrikow
May 11th, 2015, 02:35 PM
but what if he has negative bans with his odd number

mAc Chaos
May 11th, 2015, 02:39 PM
I like the idea of mods for subforums. Along with Cruor's temp ban idea. It gives a mod more leeway since you can just temp someone for being a dick for a few days without making it a serious matter that's worth permanently banning them over. But that's just me.

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Temp bans can be long, I think Cruor adressed that in the History thread. Ban someone like Mike for a year, when he come backs see if he changed otherwise its back to the ban bench.

(Note: Don't actually try this using my example because Mike has not changed in the fucking slightest, and he votes for UKIP)

Break
May 11th, 2015, 02:42 PM
Just bring Mike back and ban his account from the Sakura club and every site with more than 30% purple

Megas
May 11th, 2015, 02:44 PM
Just bring Mike back and ban his account from the Sakura club and every site with more than 30% purple

I thought he caused the most trouble in tm general and fanfics.

I'd ban him from there if anything

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 02:45 PM

The place where he was the actual biggest offender was RP, fanfics and general

SeiKeo
May 11th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I thought he caused the most trouble in tm general and fanfics.

I'd ban him from there if anything
Yeah nobody gave a fuck if he posted in fan clubs it was an issue when he snapped on a new ff thread and proceeded to beat the enthusiasm out of it.

Break
May 11th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I like the idea of mods for subforums. Along with Cruor's temp ban idea. It gives a mod more leeway since you can just temp someone for being a dick for a few days without making it a serious matter that's worth permanently banning them over. But that's just me.

How about using different "classes" of mods, a mod for managing derails, a mod for managing Vitriol, a mod for, well, whatever you know.

Milbunk
May 11th, 2015, 02:48 PM
I'd be in favor of temp banning people for long periods rather then perma bans, I think that people can learn from their mistakes and if not well then just ban them for another year and see if they get better after that.

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Why is there this need for a role shuffle, mods and their current jobs are fine as is.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be in favor of temp banning people for long periods rather then perma bans, I think that people can learn from their mistakes and if not well then just ban them for another year and see if they get better after that.

Permas should still have a role, and thats to remove bad seeds that show clear intent of never improving themselves.

Basically I'm saying keep Mike on a perma no matter what, but let Food or god forbid even Magos trickle back in.

Milbunk
May 11th, 2015, 02:54 PM
I do agree with Christemo mostly (Which I don't think has ever happened lol), but if you do it for one person then it would only be right if you gave them all the chance.

And if you really believe he's that bad and he gets banned again in days then that would be his fault which I would also fully support.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 02:55 PM
I'm honored to be nominated, but I think I'm going to be less active in the coming months so I won't have the time to do the position the justice it needs.
13uster would be good, he's been around a long time. Actually for the first year I was here I kept thinking he was a mod.
I like Curor's idea of mods have responsibility of certain boards. While they don't have to stay there and other mods can mod in that board, it should be like if there's a problem that needs addressing you can go to that person instead of shouting "mods!"

Don't leave You ;_;

Strife ❤️
May 11th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Why is there this need for a role shuffle, mods and their current jobs are fine as is.

- - - Updated - - -

Permas should still have a role, and thats to remove bad seeds that show clear intent of never improving themselves.

Basically I'm saying keep Mike on a perma no matter what, but let Food or god forbid even Magos trickle back in.

Mods and Admins hate Food. Their only purpose for continuing is to ensure food stays banned forever.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 03:03 PM
The only structural change I want is faster rotation.

Don't always just wait for massive drama to happen until you change people, when they get less active actually boot them and get new ones, this way shit like the total disconnect between moderation and userbase that happened a while ago can't happen.

Paitouch
May 11th, 2015, 03:06 PM

or Me would be good as well.
You're sending mixed signals here and I don't like it.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 03:06 PM
You're sending me mixed signals here and I don't like it.

I think You would be a good moderator.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 03:12 PM
Temp bans can be long, I think Cruor adressed that in the History thread. Ban someone like Mike for a year, when he come backs see if he changed otherwise its back to the ban bench.

(Note: Don't actually try this using my example because Mike has not changed in the fucking slightest, and he votes for UKIP)

Well, I should expand that I do not think year long bans should be the norm even in this case. Only for the really really bad ones.

The problem with bans here is it brings so much drama. If a person gets banned for 4 days or a week or so instead of causing an enviorment where people with lots of strikes get baited into insulting others or something which causes 8 other users to start bitch everytime a person gets banned.

It causes a lot less stress for both the mods and the user if you just get banned right off the bat for a period and that's that. I mean one of my favorite things I've heard here is Mike getting super angry and ranting either in his blog or some thread that he can't do his job when he's spending most of the time wondering if he will be permabanned or not. "But Cruor the strike system fixed this" no it didn't I thought it was horrible when Christemo was saying he was scared to post much because he thought tobias was hounding him for the last few strikes needed.

This would have worked wonders during the sock puppet thing as well.

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 03:15 PM
"But Cruor the strike system fixed this" no it didn't I thought it was horrible when Christemo was saying he was scared to post much because he thought tobias was hounding him for the last few strikes needed.

That was actually before the strike system, but that involved me being banned for LITERALLY NOTHING twice in a row so I basically had to stop posting for the better part of a month so that the ladder could reset.

And before anyone asks on expansion on the descriptor LITERALLY NOTHING, it was LITERALLY NOTHING, and those were still only the 2nd most retarded bans I've gotten (the 1st being when Altima deemed the sig I swapped to after he made me change my previous one "sarcastic and smug" and listed the reason on the ban as "Come back when you've learned your lesson", which is literally the most lol thing of all time)

mAc Chaos
May 11th, 2015, 03:22 PM
retarded bans

using the word retarded

strike three!!!!!!

Siriel
May 11th, 2015, 03:25 PM
He thought it was Tobias but really it was mAc all along.

Christemo
May 11th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Ive been rused.

- - - Updated - - -

Though that'd only be strike two so thats some clear mod corruption.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Someone let me know if there has actually been a suggestion worth reading in the last 5 pages or so

Megas
May 11th, 2015, 04:09 PM
Someone let me know if there has actually been a suggestion worth reading in the last 5 pages or so

Major suggestions were the use of extremely long temp bans as opposed to permas in most situations and having assigned jurisdictions for mods as opposed to having all mods keep track of the whole site

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 04:11 PM
Subforum breakdown is dumb faster rotation isn't.

mAc Chaos
May 11th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Wow that was a lot more memeing than expected.

Here you go.

Well, I should expand that I do not think year long bans should be the norm even in this case. Only for the really really bad ones.

The problem with bans here is it brings so much drama. If a person gets banned for 4 days or a week or so instead of causing an enviorment where people with lots of strikes get baited into insulting others or something which causes 8 other users to start bitch everytime a person gets banned.

It causes a lot less stress for both the mods and the user if you just get banned right off the bat for a period and that's that. I mean one of my favorite things I've heard here is Mike getting super angry and ranting either in his blog or some thread that he can't do his job when he's spending most of the time wondering if he will be permabanned or not. "But Cruor the strike system fixed this" no it didn't I thought it was horrible when Christemo was saying he was scared to post much because he thought tobias was hounding him for the last few strikes needed.

This would have worked wonders during the sock puppet thing as well.

Every goddamn mod keeps complaining about how hard it is but then go to great lengths to not actually share their holy powers with others to make it easier, instead creating these really long fussy procedures about the forum.

Fucking lighten up, just test a bunch of people. This entire thing is stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

The only quirp I have with normal bans is I can't argue with them while people are banned :P

The only structural change I want is faster rotation.

Don't always just wait for massive drama to happen until you change people, when they get less active actually boot them and get new ones, this way shit like the total disconnect between moderation and userbase that happened a while ago can't happen.

- - - Updated - - -

Subforum breakdown is dumb faster rotation isn't.
I don't get why people are against that. Makes no sense.

Strife ❤️
May 11th, 2015, 04:14 PM
basically because faster rotation is his idea and subforum breakdown isnt

Milbunk
May 11th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Hmm honestly the temp ban vs perma ban issue might be better fitted to its own thread and poll, this seems like the wrong place to talk about it.

Megas
May 11th, 2015, 04:23 PM
I'm just gonna put my two cents in that I voted two, and I think those two ought to be Siriel and You. Megas (I refuse to get into this joke now) and Raff would be alright as well. I'd also even go for I3 to watch him mature into the beautiful butterfly he ought to rather than the rebellious pillar he tries to be.

If I were to wind up in the position, I would more than likely change my name back so as to prevent confusion

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 04:25 PM
Long bans instead of permas: not a chance.

subforum mods: actually a not bad sounding idea, we actually considered it ourselves, but we ultimately decided against it because certain forums are so much more active then others, and also because if you do it that way, and there is only one mod online (which happens a lot) do you really want to have to be in a situation where you PM at he only guy around, and he has to tell you his hands are tied because it's not his forum?

was there anything else?

Peanut-007
May 11th, 2015, 04:25 PM
It would be confusing as hell but think of the PUNS.

Mcjon01
May 11th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I nominate Paitouch because some small part of me thinks it would be a little amusing to see him spontaneously combust when his physiology comes into contact with responsibility.

Kat
May 11th, 2015, 04:28 PM
If I were to wind up in the position, I would more than likely change my name back so as to prevent confusion

Nah, just change usernames of other mods to pronouns.

You
May 11th, 2015, 04:30 PM
subforum mods: actually a not bad sounding idea, we actually considered it ourselves, but we ultimately decided against it because certain forums are so much more active then others, and also because if you do it that way, and there is only one mod online (which happens a lot) do you really want to have to be in a situation where you PM at he only guy around, and he has to tell you his hands are tied because it's not his forum?
[/QUOTE]
Get multiple mods for the active ones.

Milbunk
May 11th, 2015, 04:32 PM

I'd appreciate a response better explained than just a no.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I just don't think we're big enough to need subforum mods.

And the faster rotation thing doesn't really have anything to do with that suggestion in the first place since if you make subforum mods changing them faster or entrenching them is a seperate issue. This is to prevent huge amounts of friction and that us vs them mentality from flaring up. I know the inactive mods do mysterious back-end stuff or whatever but unless this is webdesign based you will probably be able to just let a new active mod take that over as well.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 04:36 PM

Get multiple mods for the active ones.[/QUOTE]

if you define active as people on more then once a day, that's like, 4-5 of us all together. Including all admins and mods. We have more active forums then that, and and again, since we aren't all on at the same time. That raises the specter of having shit going on that the only person on has to wash his hands of because it's not his bailiwick.

Megas
May 11th, 2015, 04:37 PM
The problem that I have with having short mod stints is that I don't see the position having any real responsibility to it then.

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 04:41 PM
The problem that I have with having short mod stints is that I don't see the position having any real responsibility to it then.

I wouldn't put a hard time limit on it but in general a higher willingness to replace personnel would probably be good, as in doing it before some bullshit happens because nobody on the staff knows who is who anymore and half of it have either fucked off to the mod-only forum or left the site entirely without anybody seeing a problem.

- - - Updated - - -

i mean thats basically also flunking responsibility its just that nobody really seems to care

Megas
May 11th, 2015, 04:42 PM
He means, get a handful of subforum-only mods for General, then another handful of subforum-only mods for RP, then another handful of subforum-only mods for Anime/Manga/Merch, ect.

You can have some overall mods and a lot of subforum mods who only have mod privileges in their specific area

Kat
May 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM
You can have some overall mods and a lot of subforum mods who only have mod privileges in their specific area

So, mods -> super/global mods -> admins hierarchy as in some sites?

I3uster
May 11th, 2015, 04:46 PM
but why

whats the advantage of that over having more supermods

Ace
May 11th, 2015, 04:49 PM
if you define active as people on more then once a day, that's like, 4-5 of us all together. Including all admins and mods. We have more active forums then that, and and again, since we aren't all on at the same time. That raises the specter of having shit going on that the only person on has to wash his hands of because it's not his bailiwick.

I don't think anyone is suggesting real life level bureaucracy here. Subforum mods would pay the most attention to their particular subforum but they can do mod stuff in other subs if they feel the need.

Strife ❤️
May 11th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Who wants to sign up to be mod of fanclubs?

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 04:55 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting real life level bureaucracy here. Subforum mods would pay the most attention to their particular subforum but they can do mod stuff in other subs if they feel the need.
Then what's the difference between that and standard mods

Paitouch
May 11th, 2015, 04:56 PM
Nah, just change usernames of other mods to pronouns.

You, Me, Him, and Her are mods. Oh but She's a mod too and so is He.

- - - Updated - - -

I nominate Paitouch because some small part of me thinks it would be a little amusing to see him spontaneously combust when his physiology comes into contact with responsibility.
I've been in mod positions before and every time without fail I go on power trips until I'm demodded and shamed off the forum. It's not a pretty sight.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 04:56 PM
I'm just gonna put my two cents in that I voted two, and I think those two ought to be Siriel and You. Megas (I refuse to get into this joke now) and Raff would be alright as well. I'd also even go for I3 to watch him mature into the beautiful butterfly he ought to rather than the rebellious pillar he tries to be.

You said no in the thread ;_; (and again, I'd rather that content people such as You, Mew, etc. aren't chosen as then they won't well be bringing content as much).

Raff and Megas perhaps. But I think they might be like me and are looked at as the silly guys.

subforum mods: actually a not bad sounding idea, we actually considered it ourselves, but we ultimately decided against it because certain forums are so much more active then others, and also because if you do it that way, and there is only one mod online (which happens a lot) do you really want to have to be in a situation where you PM at he only guy around, and he has to tell you his hands are tied because it's his forum?

was there anything else?

The idea was that they'd really only have to watch their designated board seriously but they could of course go to the other boards. Again, you can't really force volunteers to do something. I mean, a problem you (or it was Seika/Mac) mentioned was that people don't report and mods are left to figure out what's going on on their own if something happens. In a case like this a designated mod (or mods) of that board could at least provide better insight (well this is just theoretically, because I mean, if Lyco got in an argument with a bunch of people you already know what happened) or were at least paying more attention than someone who's expected to browse the dozens of boards by themselves.

And heck, just because its their designated board doesn't mean they need to spend all their time there :P I mean, if no one really reports as you say than you guys probably hear or see what's going on through the massive amount of activity attracted in a place.

Also its not like people can't be moderators of multiple boards or something.

You's extension idea was that if you have a problem with someone you just go to the designated mod instead of kicking up the largest fuss ever.

And then I tossed the ideas that its perhaps less of a headache to just let the users do their thing.

Really, it depends on what the mod team wants to do to choose how many we want.

Seika
May 11th, 2015, 04:58 PM
Which sort of comes back around to the question of why make them specifically subforum mods at all?

So far, the only item about lesser mods that I've found convincing is the desire for a face and an immediately obvious point of contact if you're having trouble in a specific forum. Which is a very fair point in itself, but not, I think, worth the possible confusion about mods' responsibilities. Instead, we would rather underline that any and all mods are available for you to PM if you want to talk about a forum matter, as well as the Report button being at your disposal.

Cruor
May 11th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I've been in mod positions before and every time without fail I go on power trips until I'm demodded and shamed off the forum. It's not a pretty sight.

Weren't you a mod on jcafe for years doing (as you claim) nothing until you finally requested demodding cause you were afraid glorious Cruor might find out your other usename?

Ace
May 11th, 2015, 04:59 PM
Then what's the difference between that and standard mods

Reducing the need for mods to feel like they have to be everywhere. I think that would help relieve some of the stress of the mods but you and the others would know better than I if it'd actually be less pressure for you all.

Paitouch
May 11th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Weren't you a mod on jcafe for years doing (as you claim) nothing until you finally requested demodding cause you were afraid glorious Cruor might find out your other usename?
I try hard to tolerate you.

Tobias
May 11th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Reducing the need for mods to feel like they have to be everywhere. I think that would help relieve some of the stress of the mods but you and the others would know better than I if it'd actually be less pressure for you all.

Seems like way more effort then it's worth, if I am being honest.

Ace
May 11th, 2015, 05:01 PM
Well it'd be more helpful for the inactive mods and/or admins we don't usually see around, I think.