PDA

View Full Version : Fate/EXTRA Glossary Translation

gum
July 28th, 2015, 11:13 PM
Hi everyone,

gum from tmdict.com here. The last few months we've been hard at work translating Fate/EXTRA material glossary, and now the English part of it is finally in a somewhat presentable state. Due to the amount of work involved (not to mention the exploding number of memes and scary Buddhist references), I thought it'd be nice to post it here to collect some feedback / suggestions, and also as a fun read for fans of the game (do keep in mind this is still a work-in-progress, so please don't start quoting this as the one and only truth, as there are bound to be mistakes...):

Fate/EXTRA Glossary (http://tmdict.com/extra/fate-extra_v5.htm)

The Japanese text has been fully transcribed and proofread (might still have some small things missing, like punctuation, etc.), English translation is still being edited (would love some help in proofreading here :D), keep in mind many terms/categories are not yet consistent with the more mainstream translations and those on tmdict. In terms of the translation and editing itself, everything took/is taking longer than expected due to the large number of references to obscure history and vague Buddhism concepts, not to mention the mass of poems, inside jokes, and memes, as well as Nasu's tendency to write in the most roundabout way possible and weird contradictions in several places (perhaps because this glossary was written by multiple people?).

There are also plenty of lore/story-related things that I'd like to get other's opinions on (especially from those who have played EXTRA and is very familiar with its lore). Hope you all enjoy it! (for those interested, the Chinese translation is about 50% but at the current pace will probably finish a few years haha x_X)

*We were told arai translated a few of the terms here (http://z13.invisionfree.com/Mobius_Space/index.php?showtopic=9) as well so there's that :P
**Thanks for pointing out all the errors, really appreciate everyone's help!

Seika
July 28th, 2015, 11:16 PM
Sweet! Thank you for your work (and any other translators you've enslaved). You put together a really useful resource, and I'm very grateful for it.

Christemo
July 28th, 2015, 11:27 PM
Karna has no idea himself, but between his appearance, and the feathers that are scattered around when he uses this attack, he makes for quite the Visual Kei style Servant.

I'm crying, of laughter, because thats so true.

Siriel
July 28th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Thank you very much for taking the time to do this.

Just a note as I'm reading through:

CCC True End Protagonist [spoilers] P185
This section is about when the protagonist wakes up during the True End and he/she is not in the private Japanese facility where his/her original is slumbering. He/she is in a completely different location, which is an abandoned medical facility.
In the conclusion of Heavenís Fall, Sakura mentions something at the end about a ďbig cheat.Ē This refers to Moon Cell employing all of its capabilities to send the protagonist to Earth.
This means that the protagonistís consciousness is reincarnated in the real world with an artificially created human body.
(Since Sakura is an AI, the base of her existence is different from that of humans.)
After that, since they are now far from the Moon, Sakura and the protagonist have no means of finding out what happened with the Holy Grail War.
Perhaps Leo won and is facing off against Moon Cell in Moon Cell Nucleus. Or one of the other remaining Masters might have won, so possibly Rin or Rani.
Or is it true to history and the weakest Master, who was not involved in the events of CCC, made it to the Nucleus?
There are countless possibilities, all which speak of a hope filled future.

Leo isn't facing off against the Moon Cell. 'Him' is in reference to Twice, who's waiting for the winner.

peanuts
July 28th, 2015, 11:44 PM
1.Slash: This nullifies all kinds of physical defense and causes heavy damage.
2.Thrust: A heavy damage attack used to pierce through multiple enemy units that are lined up straight. It also stuns the enemy (the halberd piercing the enemy seals their movements).
3.Strike: The halberd is transformed into a pair of giant bracers and increases Lu Bu’s defense. It can also be used in a special defensive manner to stop the enemy’s attack in its tracks and perform a counter move.
4.Mow Down: Destroys a horizontal line of enemies with huge damage.
5.Exterminate: A special counter move that reflects physical attacks and damages the enemy.
6. Shoot: Everyone’s favorite “Lu Bu Beam” that shoots from the halberd transformed into a large wave-motion cannon.

Is 払い really exterminate?
Asking because I was wondering what to translate it as before for a while.

You
July 29th, 2015, 12:06 AM
Even if it isn't exact I thought "payback," when I was going through a entry a while back was nice like "it's lu bu payback time sucker!"

- - - Updated - - -

もともとは村の厄介者……村はずれに住む天涯孤独の青年だったが、ひょんな事から村の徴税にやってきた領主 の軍隊とかかわってしまった。

The original Robin Hood was a troublemaking orphan who lived alone on the outskirts of a village.
Not talking about the model of Robin Hood's legend. It's talking about Green Archer.

Siriel
July 29th, 2015, 12:09 AM
A typo in the last entry.

“The people who live in each ear are responsible for choosing the path they take.
Twice H. Pieceman.
The era which you were supposed to protect, ended long ago.”

Should be era.

You
July 29th, 2015, 12:17 AM
As they are Alchemists who did not rely on magic (or to be precise couldn’t rely on magic) even as the decline of magic circuits progressed, they could continue their pursuit and study of magic.
However, after an extended period of time where no children were born to succeed the veteran Atlas Alchemists, their self-determined downfall came about irrespective of the magic circuit decline.

魔力に頼っていなかった(正しくは『頼れなかった』のだが)彼らは魔力枯渇の後でも魔術の徒として探求を続 けられた。
しかし長く次代の子供たちが誕生しなくなり、古参の錬金術師たちの自決死が続いていたアトラス院は魔術枯渇 とは関係なく滅びようとしている。

Might want to change this up. Because it's not Magic Circuits that declined and saying that might give people the wrong idea.

peanuts
July 29th, 2015, 12:26 AM
Also 自決死, that's them actually committing suicide.

The Atlas Institute Doesn’t Live in the Future
Shouldn't it be "lives in the future"?

gum
July 29th, 2015, 12:26 AM
Is 払い really exterminate?
Asking because I was wondering what to translate it as before for a while.
Thought about using something like "Sweep" but that didn't sound right... I think "Exterminate" captures more of what the its trying to convey (thought about looking into 真・三國無双 to see if it's used in any of their moves...)?

Might want to change this up. Because it's not Magic Circuits that declined and saying that might give people the wrong idea.
Nice catch! (and to add to that, I think there are several places where references to magic/magecraft need to be corrected as well).

Also 自決死, that's them actually committing suicide.
Shouldn't it be "lives in the future"?
Ah I see, wasn't sure if that was an actual event or just a figure of speech implying their downfall. And yes, that title should be "Lives in the Future."

Thanks everyone for picking out errors, we're pretty burnt-out staring at this wall of text for the last few weeks so this is definitely a big help =)

You
July 29th, 2015, 12:30 AM
EXTRAとCCCは表と裏の関係である。

In EXTRA and CCC we see two completely different sides to him.
Meaning in Extra we see nursery rhyme and CCC we see a writer Anderson, so we see the front and the back. I have no idea how to phrase that though, sorry.
We don't see Anderson in Extra.

Siriel
July 29th, 2015, 12:33 AM
"Extra shows the fairy tale and CCC the writer, presenting both side of the tale."?

peanuts
July 29th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Thought about using something like "Sweep" but that didn't sound right... I think "Exterminate" captures more of what the its trying to convey (thought about looking into 真・三國無双 to see if it's used in any of their moves...)?

For some reason I kept thinking it was talking about Dark Souls style parrying and riposting.

You
July 29th, 2015, 12:45 AM
2030年現在、疑似霊子ハッキングは外付けのインターフェイスで可能となったが、魔術師クラスのハッカー は希少である。
In present day 2030 it has become possible to hack in a fake spirit through an external interface, but Magus-class hackers remain a rarity.

Viritual Spiritron Hacking with an external interface.
疑似霊子 like

疑似霊子【事柄】

that.

- - - Updated - - -

"Extra shows the fairy tale and CCC the writer, presenting both side of the tale."?
Extra and CCC presents both sides of the tale, sounds fine.
There's no reference to the fairy tale or writer in the runes, that was my addition to make it clearer what was referring to what.

Xyphos
July 29th, 2015, 01:12 AM
A literal Fate/Extra bible, thank you very, very much gum and co. for translating all this.

Although, this confuses me a bit...

Also, when Sialim gave birth to Rani, Rani may have had a twin sister who died, or maybe she didnít.

I thought it wa Sialim who had a twin sister who died (Soon), and not Rani. I could be mistaken in my memory.

Rocket Burrito
July 29th, 2015, 01:27 AM
It was Sialim who had a twin sister, who was probably Sion since they looked so damn similar. Rani was a homunculus created by Sialim IIRC.

mewarmo990
July 29th, 2015, 01:28 AM
hey we e-mailed each other!

oh do I not need to translate Extra Material anymore?

yay

ItsaRandomUsername
July 29th, 2015, 01:54 AM
Hooray for lore details that I waste hours of time needlessly poring over!

This is the good stuff, thank you kindly for the hard work.

Sarn
July 29th, 2015, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the translation! Lots of interesting details.

The imperial privilege entry made my day. Nero the genius.

- - - Updated - - -

Nero and Karna have probably lots in common? I would have never guessed that. Interesting.

aldeayeah
July 29th, 2015, 05:53 AM
yay

deadfish probably checked those already, but his translations are in food's cm3 wiki (http://completematerial.pbworks.com/w/page/94947314/Somethingsomething) if anyone wants to cross check

hayate
July 29th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the translations and sources.

Wow, never knew that healing could be this erotic. O.O

…Well, what really happened is I took my eyes off the 3D art team for a second, and when I looked again I was surprised to find they had made an “Excalibur Projection.” Since they put the effort in to make it, I figured might as well include it. As long as the Holy Swords are inferior to the originals I deemed them to be borderline safe as far as the lore goes.

Trust Nasu to let the team toss in whatever they like. :D

PS: How can I reduce the font? O.O

gum
July 29th, 2015, 10:30 AM
hey we e-mailed each other!

oh do I not need to translate Extra Material anymore?

yay
Yes we did! Only the glossary part of Extra Material :-)