PDA

View Full Version : What should the Activity Stream show?

Seika
November 4th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Meandering around in the depths of my new powers, I discovered that we don't need to have the Activity Stream showing everything. My presumption is that most people would rather it were cut down to just forum and blog posts, but I remember some people wanting blogs gone too, and apparently eavesdropping on VMs to add to a conversation is an amusing past-time to a few.

Apart from VMs, blogs, and forums, 'everything' includes the very occasional random extras like additions to albums (which about one person currently uses), or comments in groups (which no-one uses).

Per the usual tyrannical contract, we bind ourselves to listen to your opinions but not to actually implement them if we don't like them.

Strife ❤️
November 4th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Whatever it shows now. Don't change the sacred Activity Stream.

- - - Updated - - -

(Is that 'Keep Everything?')

Sesto
November 4th, 2015, 08:00 PM
i found this post through the activity stream, fun fact

i say "Forum posts, VMs, and blogs only". or maybe everything. the other things seem too rare to matter, and if someone does those things, then we can all just point and laugh at them for not being like everyone else

Mcjon01
November 4th, 2015, 08:00 PM
I vote to add Private Messages in addition to everything else.

SeiKeo
November 4th, 2015, 08:25 PM
VMs only.

Kirby
November 4th, 2015, 08:25 PM
While there isn't really any good reason for VMs to show up on the stream, I don't mind it happening

Lace
November 4th, 2015, 08:38 PM
I really wouldn't mind if VMs were taken out of the activity stream

just Beamu
November 4th, 2015, 08:42 PM
Isn't it fine with how it is now?

Kelnish
November 4th, 2015, 08:43 PM
Add my twitter to the activity stream

SeiKeo
November 4th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Get on skype you fuck

Kelnish
November 4th, 2015, 09:01 PM
Who is that directed at?

Spinach
November 4th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Me

Also I don't like VMs being there.

Kelnish
November 4th, 2015, 09:16 PM
Me

Also I don't like VMs being there.
ITT Bad opinions.

Yato
November 5th, 2015, 12:21 AM
What is activity stream
What are VM's

Rafflesiac
November 5th, 2015, 12:22 AM
The Activity Stream is a feature inferior to New Posts that certain users persist in using for various reasons (like stalking VMs).

Yato
November 5th, 2015, 12:23 AM
What are VM's??

Mcjon01
November 5th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Scroll up to the top of the screen and click on My Profile.

just Beamu
November 5th, 2015, 12:24 AM
??
Visitor Messages.

Seika
November 5th, 2015, 12:29 AM
New Posts is obviously inferior: it doesn't tell you whether a thread's latest activity is all by Spinach, and can therefore be safely dismissed as not worth reading.

Arashi_Leonhart
November 5th, 2015, 12:50 AM
New Posts is obviously inferior: it doesn't tell you whether a thread's latest activity is all by Spinach, and can therefore be safely dismissed as not worth reading.

Nonsense, anything Spin says is worth reading.

At the very least, for future blackmail.

Spinach
November 5th, 2015, 01:16 AM
Idk if I really feel comfortable right now honestly.

Seika
November 5th, 2015, 01:51 AM
You shouldn't. Blackmail's a serious business. Worth, just to pull a figure totally out of thin air, $50,000 payable only in cash.

I'm sure you understand my meaning.

Seika
November 5th, 2015, 10:32 AM
If that were possible, I'd have done it for myself already.

And I'd probably deny it to everyone else out of sheer spite and schadenfreude.

Spinach
November 5th, 2015, 10:35 AM
Already setting up for the next 'cull the staff' riot.

I'm stoked. Last time I had to play on the user base team and in really excited to play on this side now.

Seika
November 5th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Cull the staff of I3uster.
And Spinach.
And Artee and Hymn.
And Five and IRUn.
And Dark Pulse.
And Tobias.
And mAc.

Rafflesiac
November 5th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Already setting up for the next 'cull the staff' riot.

I'm stoked. Last time I had to play on the user base team and in really excited to play on this side now.
http://i.imgur.com/HiPwhTz.png?1

Arashi_Leonhart
November 5th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Cull the staff of I3uster.
And Spinach.
And Artee and Hymn.
And Five and IRUn.
And Dark Pulse.
And Tobias.
And mAc.

mAc has already done some good things, just bump him down to mod again. You still have to have an underling to order around and do the dirty work.

Spinach
November 5th, 2015, 03:04 PM
Just cut everyone but mac. He can do tech stuff and just let the rest of the forum burn itself down.

bahamut zero
November 11th, 2015, 07:21 PM
make it play a vuvuzela whenever a witty one liner is posted

You
November 11th, 2015, 07:23 PM
apparently eavesdropping on VMs to add to a conversation is an amusing past-time to a few.
cough cough

Cruor
November 13th, 2015, 12:52 AM
You is you soo you can't stalk yourself!

Trubo
January 9th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Whatever you pick, can you make it so that we don't have to use [] within spoiler tags to make sure posts don't get fully displayed on the Activity Stream? Or, if it's easier, just make the spoiler/collapse tags auto-add them.

Five_X
January 9th, 2016, 07:43 PM
That would certainly help, yes.

Get to it, mAc!

*whips*

Kelnish
January 9th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Make the activity stream show german translations of everything.

Seika
January 9th, 2016, 09:01 PM
This seems to work?

E: Ha, that doesn't actually hide it from the Activity Stream anyway! I see. Hmmmm.

Seika
January 9th, 2016, 10:01 PM
mAc advises that this will be difficult to impossible for the foreseeable future.

Tobias
January 9th, 2016, 10:07 PM
DP said the same, IIRC

Mcjon01
January 9th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Yeah, but I believe mAc.

Strife ❤️
January 9th, 2016, 10:21 PM
how hard can it actually be.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, apparently pretty hard. To do it you'd apparently need to show the entire post in activity stream instead of an excerpt.

Seika
January 9th, 2016, 10:35 PM
It's not hard to just make a BBCode tag like I did up above, which inserts the brackets automatically. The problem is that the Activity Stream has to strip the tags to show stuff - since it excerpts posts, if it didn't strip tags it would cause all sorts of weirdness with incomplete mark-up. So you really can't do it the way I tried.

Strife ❤️
January 9th, 2016, 10:38 PM
[test]

- - - Updated - - -

[test]

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm. Doing it properly (hiding spoilers with the current tag in activity stream) is really hard due to the way the system works.

It's not hard to just make a BBCode tag like I did up above, which inserts the brackets automatically.

Why does that not work though?

Seika
January 9th, 2016, 11:18 PM
Why does that not work though?

Because the brackets are actually part of the tag - if you quote that post and look at the markup, it says This seems to work?, right? The text itself doesn't have brackets. Which means when the AS strips the tags, it also strips the brackets.

Strife ❤️
January 9th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Ahh.

Seika
January 9th, 2016, 11:28 PM
I wonder if we could use the censorship options to censor to [ and to ]? I have no idea if using the censorship options on tags is a good or feasible idea. The other issue is that there's no way to catch spoiler tags which are using a title - and since that can be necessary for indicating what you're spoiling, that seems like a pretty gaping hole.

Hmmmmm.

Also, this conversation is probably going to look weird sometime in the future when I get rid of that test tag.

Trubo
January 10th, 2016, 09:41 PM
In that case just delete the activity stream.

Alternative Ice
January 10th, 2016, 09:57 PM
In that case just delete the activity stream.

This but actually.

Seika
January 10th, 2016, 10:18 PM
Delete yourself from the Activity Stream.

Mcjon01
January 10th, 2016, 10:41 PM
How do I make the entire content of my post register as a tag so that actually happens?

Kelnish
January 10th, 2016, 10:42 PM

Ill delete you from the activity stream if you dont stop bullying

Seika
January 10th, 2016, 10:52 PM
How do I make the entire content of my post register as a tag so that actually happens?

[Tag]

Tobias
January 10th, 2016, 10:53 PM
The activity stream should show taiga.

always

Megas
January 10th, 2016, 11:04 PM
The activity stream should show taiga.

always

Hmmmmmm

[TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA TAIGA]

Rafflesiac
January 10th, 2016, 11:34 PM
[Just put all of your text in brackets lol]

aldeayeah
June 7th, 2016, 01:06 PM
I wonder if we could use the censorship options to censor to [ and to ]? I have no idea if using the censorship options on tags is a good or feasible idea. The other issue is that there's no way to catch spoiler tags which are using a title - and since that can be necessary for indicating what you're spoiling, that seems like a pretty gaping hole.

Hmmmmm.

Also, this conversation is probably going to look weird sometime in the future when I get rid of that test tag.

Does the wordfilter admit regular expressions? If it does, you should be able to catch titled spoilers too.

You
June 7th, 2016, 01:10 PM
not really related but just popped up into my head.
Can quotes somehow be added to the thread search function, so if I'm looking for something in that it'll search the quotes as well?

Zurvan
June 7th, 2016, 01:15 PM
the search function is a tricky mistress, but maybeee???

Seika
June 7th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Can quotes somehow be added to the thread search function, so if I'm looking for something in that it'll search the quotes as well?
Doesn't it already? How do you mean?

http://i.imgur.com/6xlijKs.png

http://i.imgur.com/nbJu395.png

Cruor
June 8th, 2016, 04:30 PM
I think You means like uhh, Arjuna's 'You saw me'.

Typing 'You saw me' ofc gets the whole search excluded for each word being under char limit while searching for it in quotations gets nothing.

You
June 8th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Typing 'You saw me' ofc gets the whole search excluded for each word being under char limit while searching for it in quotations gets nothing.
no, i mean what Seika said. That doesn't work for me. Is there a setting you have to change?

- - - Updated - - -

nvm i guess i was rusing myself for 7 years?

Seika
June 8th, 2016, 04:47 PM
nvm i guess i was rusing myself for 7 years?:)

I think in this case you're butting up against both the search filter's character limit and exclusion of too-common terms. We can theoretically allow some common terms to be re-included, but I think adding things like "you" and "saw" is probably bad. Meanwhile, the character length filter would deny you those words anyway and, while we have an on-site setting for that, it's overridden by a server-side option, which means currently only DP can fiddle with it.

Mcjon01
June 8th, 2016, 06:50 PM
In other words if you want to search the site use Google and "site:forums.nrvnqsr.com"

Seika
June 8th, 2016, 06:54 PM
There are plenty of issues with our site search, but it's not that bad.

theunreal
September 19th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I vote for "Keep everything", since everything need to be shown. I like active activity!