PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play Diplomacy 2: Backstabbing Goes Global!

SeiKeo
June 25th, 2011, 03:02 PM
What am I looking at right now?

You're looking at Diplomacy, one of the greatest board games ever invented. In it, seven players take control of the powers of World War One (England, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Turkey, and Russia) and battle for control of Europe. What makes it interesting is that there is no random chance, and all the powers have units with the same capabilities. Because of this, strategy and diplomacy take center stage.

The Map

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m492/LeopardBear/DefaultMap.png

Light gray spaces are impassable.

Hold on, this isn't the normal map

No, it isn't. This is the map for the Youngstown variant, which as you can see takes place across the entire old world. This allows for a game that is, needless to say, different from normal Diplomacy.

The Rules

PDF copy of the rules (http://www.wizards.com/avalonhill/rules/diplomacy.pdf)

Your goal is to take control of 18 supply centers, the territories with the black circles. Taking control of one allows you to build a unit, and loosing one will force you to delete a unit. You may have as many units as you have supply centers.

There are two kinds of units: armies and fleets. Armies can move on all land spaces, while fleets can move on water and coastal spaces.

You can order your units to move to another province, support a unit's move, hold their position, support a unit holding, or order a fleet to convoy an army across water.

There are five phases in the game:

Spring moves: Units are given orders
Spring retreats: Units that have been forced out of their region may retreat or disband
Fall moves: Same as Spring moves
Fall retreats: Same as Spring retreats
Builds: You may build or disband units, depending on whether you gained or lost supply centers.

See this page (http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?page=about_youngstown).

If you're unsure of what might happen if you make a move, you can get jDip, an application that allows you to test moves and tactics. (http://jdip.sourceforge.net/) (This is also the program I'll be using to resolve orders) This goes doubly so for Youngstown: get jDip. There are interesting situations caused by the map, in particular the off board boxes, that you want to be able to test.

I want to play!

Great! Post your preference for a country in the thread. Also, post how long you'd like for each game phase. We can do 48 hours, 72 hours, or longer if people think they need it.

Austria: Yun
China:
England:
France: Mike
Germany:
India:
Italy:
Japan: Froggie
Russia:
Turkey:

Froggie
June 25th, 2011, 04:14 PM
That map is intimidating x__x Still, I'm interested in playing, same as before.

So, lets roll a d10 and see what chance decides for me~

8!

Japan? Not sure if want...

SeiKeo
June 25th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Hey, you can always pick something else :)

Froggie
June 25th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Nah, it's alright. I'll stick with what the dice says. I do have some questions though: I'm not sure I understand how movement through off-board boxes works. You can move between them, I surmise, but I don't understand the business about letters determining which you can and cannot move into.

SeiKeo
June 25th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Gonna be honest, I'm not too hot on that either. I mostly figure that out by seeing what works in jDip.

Chaos Greyblood
June 25th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I'll think about coming back for another go and reply soon enough.

Theocrass
June 25th, 2011, 10:00 PM
D: Where's Mexico?!

;)

SeiKeo
June 25th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Not on the map, but you can always take France, grab Iberia and show Ergast who's boss.

Theocrass
June 25th, 2011, 10:06 PM
:O

... That sounds like a delicious idea.

Allow me to think on this.

Chaos Greyblood
June 25th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I could take either Russia or India. Pacifist resistance my ass!

SeiKeo
June 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Do you want to pick, or do you just want which ever one's open.

Chaos Greyblood
June 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Ahh, to hell with it, I think I'll have India. Thank you, come again!

Brynhilde
June 27th, 2011, 06:58 AM
People seem... less enthused about this round @[email protected]

And personally, Ragnarok is really pushing my time. I'm not sure if I'll have enough time left for this, though I'd love to have a try >.<

SeiKeo
June 27th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Eh, I don't remember a lot of initial interest in the last one either. If you have the time, join. If you don't, well, we'll miss you but we aren't going to force you to play.

Chaos Greyblood
June 27th, 2011, 01:54 PM
It'll pick up soon. It'll take a bit of time, but that will happen. :)

alfheimwanderer
June 27th, 2011, 02:39 PM
I suppose I could take Russia.

Erlkonig
June 27th, 2011, 02:42 PM
What the fuck happened to Russia? There's a big chunk that is uncoloured.

alfheimwanderer
June 27th, 2011, 02:46 PM
...trans-Siberian Railroad not quite working right?

Chaos Greyblood
June 27th, 2011, 03:32 PM
Internal strife, perhaps? That, and Russia would probably be broken gameplay-wise.

alfheimwanderer
June 27th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Well, think about how hard it is to actually control those lands. You traditionally have control over Vladivostok, as well as the west, but actually developing and holding most of Siberia...?

SeiKeo
June 27th, 2011, 03:36 PM
Plus Russia already has 5 SCs.

Mike1984
June 27th, 2011, 06:02 PM
Well, I'd like to play this, but I'm not sure who as yet.

Brynhilde
June 28th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Patriotism tells me to play China...

But don't include me into the list for now. Reading the rules makes me dizzy @[email protected]

Chaos Greyblood
July 3rd, 2011, 04:34 AM
That position on Siberia is lonely, though. It looks as though China and Japan can actually conquer it with combined efforts. And what about those other positions south of China and Africa? Are they other countries as well? They look like they'll be a challenge to build up should India or China try to strike.

Mike1984
July 3rd, 2011, 07:56 AM
They're British, French and Italian colonies. And, yes, they are hard to defend, but on the other hand if you can defend them, they give you the ability to fight on two fronts. Plus, China, Japan etc. have only three territories anyway, whereas Britain, France and Italy have four, including the colony. And, for that matter, the same applies to Russia (it has 5 SCs, whereas Japan and China only have 3).

From the look of that map, though, Germany is likely to get screwed, simply because Britain and France can't really afford to fight if they want to keep their colony.

alfheimwanderer
July 5th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Though as always, Russia has more fronts to deal with than anyone else, which can be quite the disadvantage as well.

Mike1984
July 5th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Though as always, Russia has more fronts to deal with than anyone else, which can be quite the disadvantage as well.

Exactly. And the same applies to Britain, France and Italy.

SeiKeo
July 5th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Italy has that problem a lot less because its colonial SC is away from anyone that might take it fast. 2 of Russia's SCs are ripe for a China/Japan doubleteam.

Chaos Greyblood
July 5th, 2011, 07:29 PM
And there are a few positions India is able to take as well.

SeiKeo
August 28th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Right. I would make a new topic to announce this, but lazy and it's all ready here. So, this is open for new applicants again. Sign up! Stuff's fun!

Mike1984
August 28th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Well, this does look interesting. Not sure who I'd take yet, though, possibly France this time.

Yun
August 29th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Why not sigh me up for Austria and for turn time I don't currently have any preference between them.

Mike1984
August 29th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Oh, and as for the turn time, I'd rather it be as long as possible, because at the moment I have quite a lot of other commitments, and a job, so I need quite a bit of time to negotiate and formulate my strategy.

SeiKeo
August 29th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Yeah. Was 72 last time good this time also?

Mike1984
August 29th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah. Was 72 last time good this time also?

I'd prefer longer (especially in the first few turns, where we have a lot of diplomacy to do), but I could probably cope with 72 hours. Last time it was fine, but last time I wasn't also in 4 RPs and I don't think I was working when we started.

SeiKeo
August 29th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Ah, yeah. Makes sense.

Mike1984
August 29th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Well, based on last time, three days was usually OK, but sometimes it was a little tight if the person I was talking to had different online hours to me. However, this time around it's likely to be much harder to fit that in, since I now have a job and, thus, much less time than I used to have.

Froggie
August 29th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I find myself agreeing with Mike. Last game I played had a 72 hour limit and I found myself struggling and asking for extensions constantly... Being busier now than back then, I do not think I could cope at all with just 72 hours.

SeiKeo
August 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
96 is totally possible. Slower game with the players all being able to play is better than faster with half the players being crushed, after all.

Mike1984
August 29th, 2011, 12:19 PM
96 is totally possible. Slower game with the players all being able to play is better than faster with half the players being crushed, after all.

96 should be OK, yeah....

Froggie
August 29th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Well... I'll cross my fingers and hope for the best. That being said, still going with Japan, by the by.

Mike1984
August 29th, 2011, 04:20 PM
OK, so I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, the "18 centres to win" is a mistake, right (it should be 37 here, because there are more centres) and secondly, are we playing with the "only build in home centres" rule here?

Chaos Greyblood
August 29th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Good question, since it's now pretty big.

SeiKeo
August 29th, 2011, 05:45 PM
OK, so I have a couple of questions.

Firstly, the "18 centres to win" is a mistake, right (it should be 37 here, because there are more centres) and secondly, are we playing with the "only build in home centres" rule here?

Yes, it's 37: I guess I just copypastad. And yes, it's builds only in home centers. However, note that the colonial centers are home centers: for example, England can build in (forget the exact center name) Malaysia.

Mike1984
August 29th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Yes, it's 37: I guess I just copypastad. And yes, it's builds only in home centers. However, note that the colonial centers are home centers: for example, England can build in (forget the exact center name) Malaysia.

Yeah, I knew that we could build in the colonial centres, I just wasn't sure if you were using the standard "home centres only" rule, or if you were using the "build anywhere" variant, since I recall you mentioning that at some point.

SeiKeo
August 29th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Build anywhere is a variant, I don't think it's a good idea. It makes it a lot easier for a large expanding country to keep the ball rolling and crush everyone else.

Mike1984
August 29th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Build anywhere is a variant, I don't think it's a good idea. It makes it a lot easier for a large expanding country to keep the ball rolling and crush everyone else.

Yeah, that is true. Although, it would probably have made the last game terminate....

SeiKeo
August 29th, 2011, 06:06 PM
Possibly, but I'm inclined to come down on the side of making steamrollers harder to make.

Mike1984
August 29th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Possibly, but I'm inclined to come down on the side of making steamrollers harder to make.

I think you're probably right. It does make it very hard to interact with the other side of the map, though, especially if you're one of the powers which is stuck on only one side of it (Germany, China and Japan, for instance).

SeiKeo
August 29th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Part of the interesting part, IMHO. You have kind of separate theaters, but you have a few countries that are in both, countries that have a colony, and you can always send fleets around.