PDA

View Full Version : What is this place?

Puppet Mastah
July 9th, 2011, 05:03 AM
Hello everyone! ^_^

This is my first post as you can see, and I apologize if this is out of line. (Creating a new post.) I do have an attraction to Anime, but I've never heard of the anime or game that is mainly being discussed all over these forums. I'm not sure if it's multiple things are just one anime. I would just like someone to clear up my confusion if they have time or are kind enough. My initial question prior to registering was what exactly does this website offer and entail for a new member in order for them to enjoy this site to the fullest extent and become accustomed to the traditions this community has? i am very lost.

Thank you so much for your time! i really appreciate it.

ratstsrub
July 9th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Elephants.

Puppet Mastah
July 9th, 2011, 05:11 AM
>_> *cough*

ringlhach
July 9th, 2011, 05:12 AM
MikeRAEG. Whatever you do, don't mention Sakura.

Techlet
July 9th, 2011, 05:12 AM
Ducks.

Counterguardian
July 9th, 2011, 05:14 AM
You are recommended to enjoy Type-MOON works (such as Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Kara no Kyoukai and any spin-off or tied in works to the Nasuverse), have a very broad sense of humor, high tolerance for random topic derailment, and generally enjoy any kind of memetastic shenanigans (as evidenced by the above posts).

If you do not possess the first quality but possess the rest, I would recommend heading to the Seventh Dimension subforum.

Enjoy your stay!

Cubia - the - Anti-Existence
July 9th, 2011, 05:24 AM
No offense but joining a forum for something without known what that something is well rather odd. You'll probably fit right in. How did you figure out the registration question?

Anyway it's rather mixed. The nasuverse has two visual novels(a type of text and picutre based video game) that were adapted into anime and manga and which have a few sequals and spinoffs while also having some written work as well. There mostly connected by being in the same setting relatively speaking. It gets confusing since the setting takes place in a multiverse.

I'd say your best bet would be to go to tvtropes.org and do a search for the nasuverse since that to me seems like the least confusing place to learn about the setting. Probably not the best but the least confusing.

Mellon
July 9th, 2011, 05:26 AM
Hello everyone! ^_^

This is my first post as you can see, and I apologize if this is out of line. (Creating a new post.) I do have an attraction to Anime, but I've never heard of the anime or game that is mainly being discussed all over these forums. I'm not sure if it's multiple things are just one anime. I would just like someone to clear up my confusion if they have time or are kind enough. My initial question prior to registering was — what exactly does this website offer and entail for a new member in order for them to enjoy this site to the fullest extent and become accustomed to the traditions this community has? i am very lost.

Thank you so much for your time! i really appreciate it.

The things usually discussed here are the works of Kinoko Nasu aka "The Nasuverse (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NasuVerse)". This mainly includes:

Tsukihime (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsukihime)(Visual Novel, crappy Anime) - A story about an anemic kid with funky eyes fighting against vampires and such.

Fate Stay Night (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FateStayNight) (Visual Novel, relatively crappy anime) - A story about a slightly thickheaded boy becoming awesome. Also Heracles fighting King Arthur in a duel.

Kara no Kyoukai (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KaraNoKyoukai) (Light Novels, a series of movies) - A different story about a woman with with the same aforementioned funky eyes and same name (Tsukihime), but fighting completely different opponents ... kinda. Also SYMBOLISM and relatively confusing structure. Dont start with this one.

And then we talk and debate about these subjects (moar like argue until we are crying tears of RAEG trolololol), cause the entire Nasuverse is so goddamn convoluted in its rules and mechanics. And talk about other things. And RP a bit.

To get the most of what we speak, you should be acquainted (read) all of the aforementioned works in some form. Maa, I would reccomend you to just pick up the Fate anime, since that is the most accessible and then decide if you like it. If you do, then move on to the respective VNs (which are much more awesome). Then end up with KnK (Kara no Kyoukai) and Fate/Zero (prequel to Fate Stay Night).

ringlhach
July 9th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Ducks.Don't forget the turtles.

"Least confusing" would probably be playing the games, though that's not always feasible, and there's a lot of side-stuff that comes from interviews and factbooks...

And why is nobody mentioning Notes?

Puppet Mastah
July 9th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Hm, wow! Thank you Counterguardian, Cubia - the - Anti-Existence, and Mellon! I appreciate your detailed and informative answers! I shall get on it. :)

Techlet
July 9th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Tsukihime (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Tsukihime)(Visual Novel, no Anime, pretty awesome manga) - A story about an anemic kid with funky eyes fighting against vampires and such.

Fixed that for you.

Mellon
July 9th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Don't forget the turtles.

"Least confusing" would probably be playing the games, though that's not always feasible, and there's a lot of side-stuff that comes from interviews and factbooks...

And why is nobody mentioning Notes?

Because Notes is probably the most obscure and unimportant part of the Nasuverse? It doesn't really play that large of a part in understanding Nasuverse, tbh.

Also, I would recommend that you play the VNs/aquaint yourself with the source material, before you actually hang around in the Forums (General Discussion at the very least). You are bound to get just spoiled if you do.

Arashi_Leonhart
July 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Actually, I'd addendum that and say The Tsukhime manga (http://www.manga-access.com/manga/L/Lunar_Legend_Tsukihime) is the most accessible, either online or for purchase on sites like Amazon. The FSN anime can run pretty expensive now.

DreamsRequiem
July 9th, 2011, 05:55 AM
^Awesome last chapter is awesome.

Mellon
July 9th, 2011, 05:56 AM
Actually, I'd addendum that and say The Tsukhime manga (http://www.manga-access.com/manga/L/Lunar_Legend_Tsukihime) is the most accessible, either online or for purchase on sites like Amazon. The FSN anime can run pretty expensive now.

Emm... Fate Anime is also accessible online, you know?

Arashi_Leonhart
July 9th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Emm... Fate Anime is also accessible online, you know?

Have fun risking sites that'll virus your computer or waiting on torrent seeds for years!

Mellon
July 9th, 2011, 06:02 AM
Have fun risking sites that'll virus your computer or waiting on torrent seeds for years!

Yeah, cause that happens all the time, right? Streaming sites that dont "virus your computer" are totally non existent. Get a decent Anti-Virus program. There, no problem.

Also, waiting on torrent seeds for years? What are you using? A dial-up connection?

Arashi_Leonhart
July 9th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Well, considering how long FSN has been out, the Eclipse subs and likewise are often pretty hard to find seeds to, though I suppose a few people have been putting the Geneon/Funi dvd rips up after UBW came out. A lot of sites have zapped streaming it because Funi has the license and I've known a lot of people that end up virus'd trying. 'Sides, the Tsukhime manga is pretty good and only takes a sit-down or two or three to read. Why not rec it first?

Tohno
July 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Hate to tell you guys, but you can watch the whole Fate anime on YouTube. = /

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Maa, I would reccomend you to just pick up the Fate anime, since that is the most accessible and then decide if you like it. If you do, then move on to the respective VNs (which are much more awesome). Then end up with KnK (Kara no Kyoukai) and Fate/Zero (prequel to Fate Stay Night).

I disagree with this wholeheartedly. If he's interested already, then all watching the Fate anime will do is ruin the game (particularly the Fate route) for him and leave him with a false impression of the characters. I started with the VN straight off, and I see no issue whatsoever with doing so.

Have you ever actually used bittorrent?

Because my copies of FSN and Tsukihime came without any such issues. And I'm pretty sure the time you spend waiting to torrent it is considerably less than the time spent waiting for it to be posted to you were you to buy it, too.

Not that I'm saying he shouldn't buy it, mind, but I don't think he should base the decision of what to watch/play/read on that....

Well, considering how long FSN has been out, the Eclipse subs and likewise are often pretty hard to find seeds to, though I suppose a few people have been putting the Geneon/Funi dvd rips up after UBW came out. A lot of sites have zapped streaming it because Funi has the license and I've known a lot of people that end up virus'd trying. 'Sides, the Tsukhime manga is pretty good and only takes a sit-down or two or three to read. Why not rec it first?

Well, that's easily resolved by just playing the VN, which he should do first anyway. The anime serves absolutely no purpose other than to get people interested in the VN. It's just a poorly-written version of Fate with a few UBW and HF spoilers thrown in randomly.

Hate to tell you guys, but you can watch the whole Fate anime on YouTube. = /

You can watch the entire VN on YouTube if you want....

Counterguardian
July 9th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Well, that's easily resolved by just playing the VN, which he should do first anyway. The anime serves absolutely no purpose other than to get people interested in the VN. It's just a poorly-written version of Fate with a few UBW and HF spoilers thrown in randomly.

I beg to differ. The anime's main purpose was to rake in a load of cash, with the visual novel advertisement a happy side-effect.

You can watch the entire VN on YouTube if you want....

I'm cool with this though.

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Still curious as to how the OP found BL :o

From what I can tell, New BL doesn't even show up on Google.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 09:35 AM
I beg to differ. The anime's main purpose was to rake in a load of cash, with the visual novel advertisement a happy side-effect.

I'm talking about it from our viewpoint, not from TM's.

Yes, they made it to make a shit load of money, but as far as the fandom is concerned the only reason to encourage someone to watch it is if they're unwilling to just play the VN straight off. Because the VN is quite simply better, in every concievable way, and the anime contains no additional content of any real value.

Mazyrian
July 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM
It does contain animation, which the VN lacks

TypeWannabe
July 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Sorry, would answer your questions but too busy raging about how you didn't use the thread that was specifically set up to welcome new members. And keeping threads like this from occurring.

Bloble
July 9th, 2011, 11:07 AM
By the way, to all of the newbies reading this, Mike's really a nice guy, he just gets a bit passionate about his beliefs, so rule number one is to try not to antagonize him until you feel that you are ready to suffer text walls.

xelloss
July 9th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Antagonizing him means mentioning Sakura in a tone of anything less than worship, or refusing to talk about Sakura.

...Well, I'm exaggerating a bit. Just don't insult Sakura or Heaven's Feel Shirou, and you're good.

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Antagonizing him means mentioning Sakura in a tone of anything less than worship, or refusing to talk about Sakura.

Or talking about rules or laws.

...Well, I'm exaggerating a bit. Just don't insult Sakura or Heaven's Feel Shirou, and you're good.

HF epilogue Shirou has the dopiest looking sprites. Come at me, bro.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Or talking about rules or laws.

Or Republicans.

But anyways, I'd reccommend watching about the first 10 episodes of the Fate anime. The VN is just a tremendously slow start, and is easy to get bored with. Watch the anime, get into it, and then switch to the VN.

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 11:34 AM
I recommend not listening to Leopardbear and just playing the VN and ignoring the anime.

Because yeah, I think part of the reason Fate route gets such a bad reception is because of all the people who watched the anime first and were like "lol I know all this stuff already this route is boring~"

Plus the anime spoils stuff from other routes too.

Mazyrian
July 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM
Starting with Tsukihime can be also a good idea; is considerably shorter, and also somewhat outdated graphically, etc, so it could be somewhat shocking if played after FSN

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Oh good idea.

-Tsukihime VN
-Plus Disk
-Kagetsu Tohya
-Melty Blood? (optional)
-Fate VN

...might be a good order to go in.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I recommend not listening to Leopardbear and just playing the VN and ignoring the anime.

I second this recommendation.

Because yeah, I think part of the reason Fate route gets such a bad reception is because of all the people who watched the anime first and were like "lol I know all this stuff already this route is boring~"

That's quite possibly true, yes. And it's certainly why Shirou tends to have rather a bad reputation (especially Fate Shirou).

Plus the anime spoils stuff from other routes too.

Yeah. Not enough to really teach you anything, but enough to make the UBW and HF twists much less interesting all the same.

Oh good idea.

-Tsukihime VN
-Plus Disk
-Kagetsu Tohya
-Melty Blood? (optional)
-Fate VN

...might be a good order to go in.

I'd say he should definitely play FSN before the Tsukihime Plus disk etc., because otherwise he's going to get horribly spoilered on it if he tries to post.

Mazyrian
July 9th, 2011, 11:56 AM
^^Basically what I did (if you count waiting half a year for HF as playing FSN)

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Yeah. Not enough to really teach you anything, but enough to make the UBW and HF twists much less interesting all the same.

Which would be why I suggested watching up to EP 10 or so. Enough to get interested, not enough to get into spoilertime.

Crown
July 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Tsukihime
Started F/sn stopped playing for a while
Played Plus Disc
Continued F/sn yet missed HF
Started Kagetsu Tohya < a 20%
Started F/ha < a 20% or 30%

I still have a lot to play..

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:08 PM
Continued F/sn yet missed HF
Started F/ha < a 20% or 30%

Why the hell are you playing HA before finishing HF?

I still have a lot to play..

Yes, yes you do.

HF would be a bloody good start....

Bloble
July 9th, 2011, 12:09 PM
It took me a while to get to HF too. I didn't think there could be anything more awesome than UBW so I was scared to go for it.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM
It took me a while to get to HF too. I didn't think there could be anything more awesome than UBW so I was scared to go for it.

That's absolutely no excuse, especially if he's playing HA.

I'm sick of people failing to play HF and then totally misunderstanding Sakura as a result.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 12:10 PM
^^ And you were right, of course.

​trolololol

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:11 PM
^^ And you were right, of course.

​trolololol

No, UBW comes before HF, not after it....

Nasu clearly felt that he should leave the best for last.

Crown
July 9th, 2011, 12:11 PM
Why the hell are you playing HA before finishing HF?

Yes, yes you do.

HF would be a bloody good start....

Already know what happens in the whole route, it's not like people don't like to throw spoilers.

Feels good man, I have no problem with it. I'm just playing it for the sake of finishing it.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Nah, he kind of reached a high point, and was scraping the bottom of the barrel for the last third.

​still trolololololol

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Already know what happens in the whole route, it's not like people don't like to throw spoilers.

No, you don't. You know what other people think about what happens in the route, but you know nothing about the actual characters. There are far too many people who judge Sakura and write her off based on second-hand information from morons on 4chan.

Techlet
July 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Nah, he kind of reached a high point, and was scraping the bottom of the barrel for the last third.

​still trolololololol

Ouch.

Crown
July 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM
There are far too many people who judge Sakura and write her off based on second-hand information from morons on 4chan.You're misunderstanding reading spoilers of the story with reading OPINIONS.

DreamsRequiem
July 9th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Oh good god. Please don't do this on the newbies thread, you guys might traumatize him.

Bloble
July 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Don't worry Mike, I played HF and now have a deep appreciation for its awesomeness.

I still liked the fight scenes from UBW more though.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:18 PM
You're misunderstanding reading spoilers of the story with reading OPINIONS.

Yes, but how the hell can you possibly know about Sakura as a character if you don't play HF?

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Oh good god. Please don't do this on the newbies thread, you guys might traumatize him.

Please?

DreamsRequiem
July 9th, 2011, 12:19 PM
.................................................. ................................

TypeWannabe
July 9th, 2011, 12:21 PM
He's got a point. Simply reading what people think and what happens in the game is much less informative than reading the game for yourself then deciding for yourself.

Crown
July 9th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Yes, but how the hell can you possibly know about Sakura as a character if you don't play HF?
I'm already playing (day 11), and if you want my opinion..

Heavens Feel is making me sick of Sakura, at the start I liked her but as I played through the route the story become "Pity Sakura and do w/e is possible for her"
If I'm to be honest I wouldn't even have bothered playing HF if wasn't for Shirou, Illya and Kotomine.

But yeah, HF is so far my favorite route as all of the routes has its good and bad points.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Oh ffs people, not here please.

DreamsRequiem
July 9th, 2011, 12:23 PM
*ducks for cover*

TypeWannabe
July 9th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I'm already playing (day 11), and if you want my opinion..

Heavens Feel is making me sick of Sakura, at the start I liked her but as I played through the route the story become "Pity Sakura and do w/e is possible for her"
If I'm to be honest I wouldn't even have bothered playing HF if wasn't for Shirou, Illya and Kotomine.

But yeah, HF is so far my favorite route as all of the routes has its good and bad points.

And you see, if you actually play the route, I, and others can agree, have no problem with that. Don't let other people make your opinion, as long as you play the game and make up your own, that's great. Certainly not everyone has to like Sakura, but at the same time you shouldn't be mislead by what people say about her.

That said, WHY DOES THIS FUCKNIG THREAD STILL EXIST

DreamsRequiem
July 9th, 2011, 12:26 PM
BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP POSTING ON IT!

Crown
July 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM
And you see, if you actually play the route, I, and others can agree, have no problem with that. Don't let other people make your opinion, as long as you play the game and make up your own, that's great. Certainly not everyone has to like Sakura, but at the same time you shouldn't be mislead by what people say about her.

That said, WHY DOES THIS FUCKNIG THREAD STILL EXIST
Well just letting this clear.
I don't let other's people opinion build my own. I wasn't mislead by what others' said. If I don't know about something I don't discuss about it.

And I'm done.

Mike go get an open mind and accept other's people opinions, don't let your fanboyism make you to jump at throats.

TypeWannabe
July 9th, 2011, 12:29 PM
No, seriously. It's completely unnecessary, as everything he asked could have been asked in the new members thread. You see, this is why I would be a bad mod. I'd delete threads like this in a heart beat or ban everybody who insisted on continuing to post. Including myself.

DreamsRequiem
July 9th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Why you so angry, all the time? D:

TypeWannabe
July 9th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Because of the onset of menopause.

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 12:34 PM

Actually, he felt they should tack another route on so they could sell it for a high price, according to that interview I found a while back >:3

I agree that reading spoilers is no substitute for actually reading the VN. I seem to recall raging about that a long time ago when Elf and someone else refused to play HF.

Crown
July 9th, 2011, 12:38 PM
OP, the Type-Moon fanbase is not like this. We..eh were just chatting a bit.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:39 PM

In what way is that Sakura's fault? She didn't choose to be raped and tortured by Zouken and Shinji.

But I guess some people just lack the ability to empathise properly, and I guess that if that's the case it might be hard to stomach the fact that Nasu writes the story under the assumption that you will have.

No, seriously. It's completely unnecessary, as everything he asked could have been asked in the new members thread. You see, this is why I would be a bad mod. I'd delete threads like this in a heart beat or ban everybody who insisted on continuing to post. Including myself.

So what if it's "completely unnecessary"? The entire forum is "completely unnecessary". After all, it's not like the world will suddenly fall apart if we stop being able to have Sakura arguments.

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM
It's not about lacking the ability to empathize. It's about not falling for a really clumsy attempt to make a character sympathetic by suddenly hammering the readers over the head with OMG SHE'S SAD!!!111 instead of making her more likeable beforehand.

He had two routes in which he could have given her some involvement (even just slice of life stuff) and made the readers attached to her, he did not, probably because Fate and UBW were done before they decided to add HF.

Techlet
July 9th, 2011, 12:41 PM
OP, the Type-Moon fanbase is not like this. We..eh were just chatting a bit.

Crown, your avatar is ad'aaawable~

/completely unrelated

Crown
She didn't choose to be raped and tortured by Zouken and Shinji.
Shit happens.

Crown, your avatar is ad'aaawable~

/completely unrelated
Ha, yeah Dalian is cute, I can't wait to see her animated this summer.

DreamsRequiem
Because of the onset of menopause.

I thought it was because Koto doesn't love you?

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:44 PM
It's not about lacking the ability to empathize. It's about not falling for a really clumsy attempt to make a character sympathetic by suddenly hammering the readers over the head with OMG SHE'S SAD!!!111 instead of making her more likeable beforehand.

In what way is Sakura not "likeable"? Especially coming from a fucking Shinji fan....

He had two routes in which he could have given her some involvement (even just slice of life stuff) and made the readers attached to her, he did not, probably because Fate and UBW were done before they decided to add HF.

Well, that is perhaps true (although I don't agree that Fate and UBW were written without Sakura's true situation in mind, because it's clear from some of the scenes that Nasu knew full well what her relationship to Rin etc. would be when he wrote it), but I don't see why so many people use it as an excuse to hate Sakura when she is fundamentally a likeable character.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 12:45 PM
but I don't see why so many people use it as an excuse to hate Sakura when she is fundamentally a likeable character.

Isn't likeable character relative? Actually, scratch the question, it is relative. See you and Koto.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Isn't likeable character relative? Actually, scratch the question, it is relative. See you and Koto.

Well, if she's not "likeable" then what the hell is wrong with her? I mean, I know she has some character flaws, but there are none which aren't entirely reasonable given her position, and she is an exceptionally strong girl.

Techlet
July 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
In what way is Sakura not "likeable"? Especially coming from a fucking Shinji fan....

Mike, meet subjectivity.

Subjectivity, meet Mike.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Well, if she's not "likeable" then what the hell is wrong with her? I mean, I know she has some character flaws, but there are none which aren't entirely reasonable given her position, and she is an exceptionally strong girl.

Likes are relative and depend on people. Some characters just don't click for some.

DreamsRequiem
July 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
In other words, you can't stop people for not liking what they just don't like.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Likes are relative and depend on people. Some characters just don't click for some.

Again, what is wrong with her? If she's not "likeable", there must be a reason for that.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Again, what is wrong with her? If she's not "likeable", there must be a reason for that.

Because you can just not like things. Do people need a reason not to latch on to a character?

Bloble
July 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Not really. Some people just don't click well. For example, while I like all characters, I like Rin as a heroine the least, and I can't explain why. I also can't explain why I like Saber more than Sakura.

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM

Sakura is cute, but bland, due to the aforementioned lack of development on Nasu's part. Shinji is interesting. Opinions.

You're mistaking "not likeable" for "detestable".

People don't just like a character by default. The writer has to make us like them first.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Sakura is cute, but bland, due to the aforementioned lack of development on Nasu's part. Shinji is interesting. Opinions.

In what way is Sakura "bland"? She's an exceptionally strong girl, and she has a huge depth of character (albeit perhaps not quite so many layers as Rin).

Crown
July 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Not really. Some people just don't click well. For example, while I like all characters, I like Rin as a heroine the least, and I can't explain why. I also can't explain why I like Saber more than Sakura.Arihiko bro. Good taste.

TypeWannabe
July 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
I thought it was because Koto doesn't love you?

Ha, if I was mad because of every person not loving or even liking me, I'd be dead of a heart attack before I even reached 30.

Techlet
July 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM
In what way is Sakura "bland"? She's an exceptionally strong girl, and she has a huge depth of character (albeit perhaps not quite so many layers as Rin).

*tries not to snigger like a schoolboy*

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 12:58 PM

I don't find her character that deep. It mostly just consists of obsession with Shirou and jealousy over Rin. Even the Dark Sakura stuff can be explained away with "lol AM influence".

Strength has nothing to do with how interesting a character's personality is, either.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I don't find her character that deep. It mostly just consists of obsession with Shirou and jealousy over Rin. Even the Dark Sakura stuff can be explained away with "lol AM influence".

That's like me saying that Rin's character mostly consists of being Tsundere to everyone....

Mellon
July 9th, 2011, 01:15 PM
In what way is that Sakura's fault? She didn't choose to be raped and tortured by ***************.

But I guess some people just lack the ability to empathise properly, and I guess that if that's the case it might be hard to stomach the fact that Nasu writes the story under the assumption that you will have.

Nice going.

Throwing out major spoilers in a thread that talks about how to "get better acquainted" with Nasuverse works.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Hmm, you do have a point there. In general, though, posting on BL without knowing about the Nasuverse isn't really a good idea....

Also, if you're going to spoiler it out, you should spoiler the entire thing. How you've left it in the quote doesn't exactly hide all that much, because there aren't that many people around who could have done that stuff to her.

Kotonoha
July 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Anyway, I think the OP probably knows what kind of place this is now.

(And has run far, far away.)

TypeWannabe
July 9th, 2011, 01:21 PM
SPOILER ALERT: The Shadow is Sakura's suppressed Angra Mainyu dark side, and the grail is actually a vessel for all the world's evil which will kill everybody if it is won. Kotomine is evil, Archer is Shirou, Saber is King Arthur, Rider is Medusa, Shinji is a rapist, Sakura is Rider's real master, HF ends with Shirou dying at the end and coming back to life because Ilya sacrifices herself for him. Also, Ilya gets her heart plucked out by the previous war's Archer in UBW.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 01:25 PM
You know, going out of your way to spoiler it for the guy is a bit of a dickish move....

Altima of the Gates
July 9th, 2011, 01:26 PM

Actually, he did do just that in my opinion. If you want to talk about hammering things in, there are multitudes of things i could say were also overdone as well.

I could bring up a lot of different aspects of her character that were shown beyond just "imma cook, imma eat, imma leave" in Fate/UBW. Things that actually coincide with what you'd find out about her in HF.

Honestly, if one really doesn't like her, that is fine, but saying the author just stuffed her down there throats is a bit exaggerating imo. Hell, Rin is shown in all routes and takes up about as much screentime and exposition after exposition after exposition, she is almost Kotomine(who i agree with tobias, while he's awesome, please for the god, just shut up already, talktalktalktalk. Same for Rin to a degree.). It all depends on how attached you are to the character and, if it hits your buttons on whether you can tolerate the screentime used.

Now, I was thinking of putting this thing in GD2, but now it's edging toward me just either deleting/locking it (as the newbies questions are mostly answered and further extrapolation would be spoilerish if he came back for more stuff) or putting it in the Seventh.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 01:27 PM
Just nuke it.

Neir
July 9th, 2011, 01:28 PM

Strength has nothing to do with how interesting a character's personality is, either.

This.

Kotonoha
Actually, he did do just that in my opinion. If you want to talk about hammering things in, there are multitudes of things i could say were also overdone as well.

I could bring up a lot of different aspects of her character that were shown beyond just "imma cook, imma eat, imma leave" in Fate/UBW. Things that actually coincide with what you'd find out about her in HF.

Honestly, if one really doesn't like her, that is fine, but saying the author just stuffed her down there throats. Hell, Rin is shown in all routes and takes up about as much screentime and exposition after exposition after exposition, she is almost Kotomine(who i agree with tobias, while he's awesome, please for the god, just shut up already, talktalktalktalk. Same for Rin to a degree.). It all depends on how attached you are to the character and, if it hits your buttons on whether you can tolerate the screentime used.

Yes I'm aware it differs from person to person, I'm trying to explain to Mike what people other than him think, because he can't understand why others don't like her.

Now, I was thinking of putting this thing in GD2, but now it's edging toward me just either deleting it (as the newbies questions are mostly answered and further extrapolation would be spoilerish if he came back for more stuff) or putting it in the Seventh.

I've said this before: you need to stop making posts where you show up to participate in an argument and then in the same post you start talking about ending the argument with mod powers. One or the other.

TypeWannabe
Nah, it's cool mike, because I went back and re-read a couple of old threads and realized what a hypocrite I am! http://forums.nrvnqsr.com/showthread.php/237-Sakura-s-Got-it-Going-On

HAHAHA I DON'T EVEN CARE ANYMORE, DERAIL AND POST STUPID SHIT TO ALL YOUR HEARTS CONTENT GAIZ

Mike1984
Just nuke it.

No, don't.

Deleting people's posts for absolutely no reason is not acceptable moderation.

SeiKeo
July 9th, 2011, 01:30 PM
No, don't.

Deleting people's posts for absolutely no reason is not acceptable moderation.

It's for the perfectly decent reason that this thread has no point, as the question has been answered, it is way off topic and going to spoil for him, and he really should have gone to the introductions thread anyways.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 01:31 PM
It's for the perfectly decent reason that this thread has no point, as the question has been answered, it is way off topic and going to spoil for him, and he really should have gone to the introductions thread anyways.

I don't give a fucking shit.

You do not delete people's posts without a damn good reason to do so.

Neir
July 9th, 2011, 01:35 PM
You're also not a mod.

Mike1984
July 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM
You're also not a mod.

And?

Just because someone has a cyan name rather than a blue one, that doesn't magically make their opinion more meaningful.

Altima of the Gates
July 9th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I've said this before: you need to stop making posts where you show up to participate in an argument and then in the same post you start talking about ending the argument with mod powers. One or the other.

Koto, I know you like hearing yourself talk, but please, end the hypocrisy. Because for the longest time, you never actually do much of anything but exacerbate issues because you like to have the last word. In effect, you do much the same thing you accuse me of, while it was me musing on what I was going to do with the thread. Please, get off your high horse.

Anyway, thread locked.