PDA

View Full Version : Hermione Granger and the Peerless Alchemist (A Matou Shinji Series AU Quest)



Pages : [1] 2

alfheimwanderer
October 1st, 2018, 04:11 AM
Hermione Granger and the Peerless Alchemist


A/N: Yes, this is another variation on a theme, only this time the POV is none other than that of our favorite bookworm, Miss Hermione Granger! In this Quest - for a quest it is, not a CYOA adventure, because I need something that won't require hours and hours of my time putting together massive chapters (this is not getting chapters on FF.net) - we get to see the impact of Matou Shinji on the Potterverse from outside, starting from the very first year!

As with all things, we begin at the beginning...

You are Hermione Granger, an 11 year old Muggleborn witch.

The year is 1991, and you have just arrived at Platform 9 3/4, where you - like all the other Hogwarts-bound students - will soon board the train that will take you to the castle where you will meet your destiny. Your parents see you off with a hug, pressing a small package into your hands as they part from you. Inside is a book - one of the ones you'd looked at in Diagon Alley, but hadn't had the chance to buy, since there was so much in the way of school supplies to obtain.

Its title was...

[ ] The Tales of Beedle the Bard
[ ] Basic Hexes for the Busy and Vexed
[ ] Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle!
[ ] Living With Legilimens: Choose Your Minds Wisely
[x] Manual M39h-z

Such a gift is welcome, as you love books. Indeed, you've studied your textbooks, and know them by heart - as any diligent student worth their salt should. It wouldn't do to seem ignorant about this new world you're stepping into, after all, and well, it's magic.

How can anyone not be excited? You've pushed yourself hard enough, in fact, that you have managed to successfully cast a few spells - quite a feat for someone who only picked up a wand a few months ago.

The question is - which spells can you currently cast? (choose up to three; refer to the First year sections of Charms (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Charms_(class)) and Defense (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Defence_Against_the_Dark_Arts))

[x] Bluebell Flames, [x] Smokescreen
[x] Levitation Charm

Daiki
October 1st, 2018, 11:04 AM
[x] Manual M39h-z.
[x] Bluebell Flames, Full Body-Bind Curse & Knockback Jinx.

Runes aren't explored in canon, so rune book.

Desann
October 1st, 2018, 03:16 PM
[x] Manual M39h-z
[x] Bluebell Flames, Full Body-Bind Curse, Levitation Charm

Skull Leader
October 1st, 2018, 08:05 PM
Couple of things.

One I am not sure Manual M39h-z is what you think it is Daiki. It is not a rune book like one that teaches actually rune magic. All the book is teaching a secret hand signal communication that DARK wizards used in WWII that was based on Runes. So maybe it could still be an entry piece that preps you in remembering runes but its not teaching you runes in any way.

That said I still wanted to pick this one anyways.

[x] Manual M39h-z

Second thing, these three spells of yours Daiki are a bit too combat focused IMO. Hermione is not a warrior, she is book nerd. I am not sure I can see why she would want to learn three different ways to attack someone. I would prefer a more balanced approach here. Something that is a bit more clever, or cunning than full on DADA attack. Still Hermione should have something in the attack department and the blue bell spell is useful so many be we should replace just one spell here.

[X] Smokescreen, Bluebell Flames, Levitation Charm

Smokescreen to me seems like a underused good spell. It can hide you so its harder for enemies to attack you, or more importantly it gives you cover to retreat. Combine that spell with Bluebell flames and you can really get someone starting to panic about their robes being on fire.

My three come with a balance of them one spell each that primarily Defense, Attack and Utility.

alfheimwanderer
October 1st, 2018, 11:37 PM
All the book is teaching a secret hand signal communication that DARK wizards used in WWII that was based on Runes.

Not WWII, Wizarding War.

I'll resolve this in 12 hours.

Daiki
October 2nd, 2018, 02:06 AM
Well, at least the book can serve to pick her interest in runes earlier. Besides the other options are not specifically appealing to me when it comes to what we explored as Shinji. We have delved in potions, curses and occlumency already as Shinji and the horcruxes route isn't something I want. (Unless the tales book is only about giving Hermione a less muggle background by knowing at least something wizard kids would)

I don't mind swapping some spells. Since I have no idea what kind of path Hermione would take, I went with stuff that offers some versatility while betting she would master utility spells such as Alohomora, Reparo and others quick enough that they wouldn't be any issue to ignore. Blue flames allows you to have both fire and a source of light, knockback would be your main way to push back an opponent and full-bind allows to neutralize a target without wounding / damaging them.

But, as I said, I'm not specifically going to fight for some starting spells. I would keep Flipendo though because that's quite useful overall.

[X] Smokescreen, Knockback Jinx & Levitation Charm.

Wingardium + Flipendo seems like fun.

alfheimwanderer
October 2nd, 2018, 11:28 AM
Book: [x] Manual M39h-z
Spells: [x] Bluebell Flames, [x] Smokescreen, [x] Levitation Charm
100%

To your surprise, your parents had bought you one of the books you had been looking at but had put down, since you hadn't had the money to buy it at the time, and it wasn't on the school list. You'd mentioned it once, after returning from your trip to Diagon Alley with Professor McGonagall, but you'd never really expected them to pay attention to your excited babbling. You talked about books all the time, after all, and while they were supportive enough, most of the time they just smiled and nodded. They were busy, after all, with both of them being dentists, and every once in a while - for your birthday, or for Christmas, they would buy you a book - usually something Shakespearean, or related to it - but outside of that, presents were rare in the Granger household.

So that the fact that they'd not only given you a present before you left for Hogwarts, but had given you a book you'd mentioned to them, was quite touching. You would treasure it, and learn every bit of what the book had to offer, learning how to use Rune Sign Language, whatever that was. Since the Ministry had seen fit to publish a book about it for everyone (and she remembered it hadn't been that expensive), maybe it was something for deaf wizards and witches, kind of like the British Sign Language she'd learned from her favorite aunt, a sign language interpreter who worked for the government in some capacity?

You'd at least learn them as well as your schoolbooks, from which you'd already managed to cast the Smokescreen, Bluebell Flame, and Levitation spells (and hadn't that been an interesting day, when your parents had come home, thinking the house was on fire?)

Still, books - studying those was the easy part. Always had been, really.

Making friends...that was considerably more of a challenge for the girl named Hermione Granger, since she was thought of as weird for her love of books, or a busybody, or bossy because she wanted people to follow the rules and do what the teacher said. It wasn't her fault that other people were lazy and didn't want to do their homework, or wouldn't do the assignments. She just did what she was supposed to - so why did people pick on her for that?

Well...maybe things would be different at Hogwarts, where everyone had magic. Surely in a place like that, even school life would be magical, right?

Glancing over the crowd, with her chest dragging behind her, she notes a number of interesting people.

A girl with...was that purple hair? She didn't know hair could grow that color! boarding the train.

A dark-haired boy who'd just popped into existence...and proceeded to double over, retching.

A well-dressed pair of what were obviously twins her age, who had just stepped through the barrier to the platform.

A golden-haired boy flanked by two larger boys, with an oddly distant expression on his face as he glanced around himself.

A boy looking around uncertainly, clutching his toad tightly, as if afraid it would escape if he let it go.

Who to approach, if anyone?

[ ] The purple-haired girl
[ ] The dark-haired boy - he seems like he needs help
[ ] The twins
[ ] The golden-haired boy and his retinue
[ ] The boy with the toad
[ ] No one. It would be too forward of her

Skull Leader
October 2nd, 2018, 08:35 PM
[X] The dark-haired boy - he seems like he needs help

It is either this or the fun of walking up to Draco and confuse him with giving him the Dark Wizard sign language to him. But I suspect that might lead her to Slytherin and really how long can Hermione of all people at like a pureblood before giving herself away. Or how long can see sit in Slytherin and not rail against their intrahouse system?

I think Hermione should not latch onto Sokaris again, and the twins well...she might get along with Phelan but not sure if Hermione would ever get along with Amber for long. Amber requires someone that plays in her field of expectations of manners.

Daiki
October 3rd, 2018, 04:04 AM
[x] The dark-haired boy - he seems like he needs help

alfheimwanderer
October 3rd, 2018, 04:24 PM
People didn't often think highly of dentists. After all, most tended to visit them only when they absolutely had to (and only after first trying to convince themselves that they didn't need to, that whatever was going on was minor, that a dentist couldn't do anything someone who practiced good dental hygiene couldn't). Hermione though, had grown up with dentists for parents, and they'd instilled in her how a dentist was often the first one to catch someone's symptoms. They considered themselves not purveyors of pain (as children often thought of them), but professionals doing their part on preserving the health of the community.

With knowledge, they told her, as with power, came the responsibility to use that knowledge to make things better. To do otherwise was unjust, unethical, and frankly inhumane. Her father, especially, often was fond of the saying that the only thing needed for evil - or germs - to triumph was for good men to do nothing.

This was a lesson she'd learned when she was small - and one all the more important now that she was a witch.

So when she saw someone doubling over, seeming like he was about to puke, she ran over to him, leaving her things behind.

"Are you OK?" she asked, putting a hand on his shoulder.

The boy swayed unsteady, seeming not to hear her. She repeated herself and he looked up unsteady, with Hermione noting how his mysterious gray gaze seemed to take in the sight of her as if she was the only person in the world.

She felt her face growing hot.

"Are you OK? Do you need a teacher?" she asked.

The boy shook his head unsteady.

"N-no. Just...just need moment," he said with more than a bit of an accent.

A foreigner then, at Hogwarts? How unusual...she knew from her reading that Hogwarts was free to British citizens/resident, but was rather expensive for those who were not.

She waited, unsure of what she should do as someone else popped into being, a bespectacled blonde with slim and dainty features.

The blonde seemed much steadier on her feet than the dark haired...the oriental boy.

"Ah. Portkey sickness," she said knowingly, looking over at the trembling boy, reaching into the folds of her silver robes and withdrawing a vial, which she unstoppered. "Drink this," she said to the boy, and as he did, he seemed to grow more steady.

"S...thank you," the boy mumbled. "I...my name is Shinji. Matou Shinji."

"You may call me Ana," the blonde replied graciously, dipping into a curtsy. "Ana Spencer." With poise unfitting of her young age, she turned to Hermione. "And you are?"

How does she introduce herself?

[ ] Hermione Granger
[ ] Mione, as she imagines friends might call her
[ ] "Just a girl named Hermione."
[ ] (write-in)

Miss Spencer, seeming to take charge of the group, suggests they all sit together on the train and better get to know each other.

Hermione...

[ ] Agrees, she wants to find out how Miss Spencer fixed the boy
[ ] Agrees, the boy has such dreamy gray eyes...
[ ] Declines, she only came over because Shinji seemed like he needed help
[ ] Declines, she wants to look around and meet more people

Skull Leader
October 3rd, 2018, 10:19 PM
[X] Mione, as she imagines friends might call her

Why not...she can hope for friends. Thought this next question makes me ask why not both options on the agree part, sure he has dreamy eyes but cursitiy beckons.

Still have to pick...coin flip time.

[X] Agrees, the boy has such dreamy gray eyes...

Apparently fate continues to mess with Hermione-Shinji in every version.

Daiki
October 4th, 2018, 01:15 AM
[x] Mione, as she imagines friends might call her.
[x] Agrees, she wants to find out how Miss Spencer fixed the boy.

alfheimwanderer
October 4th, 2018, 01:58 AM
Is this the way its going, then? Seems I will likely be in a timezone closer to yours for a while, Daiki.

Desann
October 4th, 2018, 06:49 AM
[x] Hermione Granger
[x] Agrees, she wants to find out how Miss Spencer fixed the boy.

alfheimwanderer
October 4th, 2018, 08:04 PM
[X] Mione, as she imagines friends might call her
[x] Agrees, she wants to find out how Miss Spencer fixed the boy.

100%

"Mione," the brunette responded. "My friends call me Mione."

Ana nodded.

"A charming name that. Is it short for Hermione, perhaps?" the blonde inquired, the intelligence in those startlingly green eyes catching her off guard. "A name worthy of a queen if so."

The boy from the east blinked.

"A...queen?" he echoed, frowning. "You...you're royalty?" he asked, visibly startled by the thought by the way he stiffened, almost coming to attention. "Or nobility...?"

Hermione had to admit that she'd never had a boy react to her quite like that before. It was...odd for someone to think of her as being something like a princess, especially such a good looking boy. Though, she didn't think that Miss Spencer had meant to set the boy off like that - she'd been playful, as if she recognized the name from somewhere? Maybe Miss Spencer had read A Winter's Tale or like her, liked books of history and those things that were not quite history, yet not quite myths - stories from the ages when heroes and gods walked the earth.

Though that name...Spencer...

"...you wouldn't be related to Princess Diana, would you?" Hermione asked, turning her attention to the other girl.

The poor Japanese boy boggled as the now-revealed noble curtsied.

"So you've found me out already," Ana murmured, in a tone that the brunette wasn't sure was approving or irritated. "I suppose it was inevitable, given my name, but I must say, you're a sharp one, Mione."

Hermione flushed red at the compliment - one of the first she'd ever received from anyone her own age.

"You're pretty your...I mean, you're pretty smart yourself, princess," the girl replied, stumbling over her words in the presence of royalty. No, wait, Ana Spencer couldn't be a princess. "Or...what is your title?"

"I do not hold one myself, though I may claim the courtesy title of Lady Ana, given my parentage," the blonde answered quietly. "But I don't insist on it among friends. We will be good friends, won't we?"

"Y-yes!" Hermione squeaked.

The Japanese boy's reaction was much quieter, but more profound, with him bowing deeply, as a courtier might.

"As you wish, hime-sama," he murmured quietly, with his actions seeming to win a flicker of approval from the girl who Hermione sure wasn't called hime, though she supposed it was probably some title of respect.

"How odd," Ana mused aloud. "That the first two I meet here would be a girl named for a queen and a young knight-errant from a land far, far away. Japan, was it?"

"Hai."

"Well, young knight, rise and accept this lady's favor," she bade him, taking a handkerchief and dousing it with the contents of another potion, before tying it around the boy's neck.

He stiffened at her touch, but allowed it, with Hermione blinking at this sudden...deed.

"This is..."

"It will keep the sickness from returning, so long as you keep it on you for the journey. That is all - please don't misunderstand," the blonde replied matter of factly. Why the statement made Hermione feel relieved, she didn't really know, but she thought it just showed that Ana had a good heart, as princesses often did in the books. Even if she wasn't really a princess. And even if she seemed quite capable of helping herself - and any would be knights.

With that out of the way, the trio turned to board the train, finding a compartment and settling into it while everyone else was still milling about.

"...I can seal that, if you'd like," Shinji said, after their things had been stowed away.

"Hm?" Hermione asked.

"The door," the boy replied, shaking his head. "In case you wanted not to be disturbed by others."

Ana Spencer just looked at him, with the boy looking away, unable to meet her gaze as his fingers grazed the handkerchief wound about his neck.

"...I mean, I just wanted to return the favor," he mumbled.

"I think I'll leave it to Mione," Ana said lightly. "So, what say you...? Shall we let Sir Shinji seal the door, or shall we see who stumbles upon us?"

[ ] Let him seal the door
[ ] Don't - they might as well meet other people on the ride
[ ] Turn the question back to Ana - since she was the one who was asked, she shouldn't push the responsibility of answering to someone else

Choose something to talk about

[ ] Hogwarts and their thoughts on it
[ ] Their respective backgrounds
[ ] Ana's potion and if she has a favorite subject
[ ] Hobbies, likes and dislikes
[ ] The weather

[ ] (write-in)

Skull Leader
October 5th, 2018, 09:33 AM
[X] Let him seal the door
[X] Hobbies, likes and dislikes

Sealing it might not be the best plan if we want to be social, but consider how private I think these three are each, sealing might be for the best. It gives them time to get to know each other.

alfheimwanderer
October 6th, 2018, 08:41 PM
[X] Let him seal the door
[X] Hobbies, likes and dislikes

100%

"Sealing it is fine with me," Hermione replied, deferring to the others. She had no real reason to oppose it, and truthfully, if Matou was going to use some exotic art to seal it, she wanted to see what it was. That...and she'd never been good in large groups of people. She liked to think she wasn't a total failure when it came to one on one situations, but she had no confidence about her ability to make a good impression on a large number of people her age.

'I'm just glad Matou and Spencer seem to like me well enough for now,' she thought.

For now, she just looked on as the Japanese boy took something out of one of his pockets - a small statue of a bird - an owl, she thought. With a wordless gesture from the boy, it took flight, flying over to the door and perching on the door latch assembly, its feet seeming to melt until it coated it entirely.

"...wordless transfiguration?" Miss Spencer asked, blinking at the display. "How unexpected..."

"Merely an artifact," Shinji replied with some humility. "One provided to me by..." he paused, an odd expression crossing his features for a moment. "My benefactor. In Japan."

"Oh? What does it do?" the blonde inquired, her interest piqued.

"Oh, it can fly about and do some basic things for me, like retrieve things," the boy replied. "It can also seal a door against eavesdropping or intrusion."

"...impressive. Is it reusable?"

Shinji nodded.

"Mm...your benefactor must have many such, if he or she was willing to give one up so readily," the blonde murmured.

"She has...a few," the boy admitted. "Using jewels to make interesting things is...a specialty of hers, I guess?"

"Ah, and has she taught you much of her craft?" Ana questioned.

"Unfortunately not," the boy replied. "She is good at...many things, but teaching someone the basics isn't one of them. I hope that learning...tlans...transfiguriation? Transfiguration at Hogwarts will help me make myself useful to her."

"Oh, that's right - why Hogwarts?" Hermione interjected. "Surely there is a magical school in Japan?"

"Mahoutokoro is the name," Miss Spencer supplied, with the bushy-haired brunette blinking at the quick response. Obviously this girl was indeed very well versed in the knowledge of the magical world. Much as Matou seemed to be, if he had a benefactor who could use such interesting magic.

"I...got a letter from Hogwarts?" Shinji offered weakly.

"Hm..." The blonde seemed to peer at the boy, naked curiosity in her eyes. "Were you born in Britain, perhaps?"

The boy was silent for a time before he responded.

"I...don't know?" he said uncertainly. "My mother died when I was young, and I...I didn't really know my father. Didn't have much of a family."

"Oh...I'm sorry," Ana replied, her expression sympathetic, with some shade of pain flashing across her features. "I...didn't know. Wouldn't have mentioned it if I did, since...I lost my parents too, in the war."

"...the war?" Shinji echoed.

"The war against Voldemort," Hermione supplied. "One that lasted eleven years, until it ended with the death of the Potters - and the Dark Lord."

"Huh. You're a Muggleborn, then?" Ana questioned, with Hermione almost jumping out of her seat at the query. How had the other girl seen through her so soon? "Most children who grow up in wizarding families wouldn't usually say his name like that."

"You mean...they're afraid? But...why be afraid of a name?" the brunette asked, puzzled. "He's dead, isn't he? And his followers imprisoned in Azkaban?"

"Yes, but it's not that simple."

"What do you mean?"

"Just because he's dead doesn't mean people have forgotten him and the things he did, or what it cost them," Ana explained. "The Dark Lord was a very powerful man, a symbol of fear that most thought unstoppable. He made a point of hunting down any who dared resist him, with one of the things he did being to track down anyone brave enough to say his name."

"...oh. That sounds...bad," Hermione said lamely.

"It was," Ana replied, taking a deep breath. "He killed my parents."

"...I'm sorry," the brunette whispered. "I had no idea..."

"Well, join the foot in mouth club, I suppose," the blonde said glibly. "Should we move to a safer topic, like hobbies? Matou, what do you like doing?"

"I like reading," Shinji volunteered.

"Anything in particular?"

"Spellbooks," the boy said with satisfaction, though his lips quirked down as he said this. "Even if I can't do most of the spells in them yet."

"I like reading too," Hermione said shyly, offering Matou a smile. Surely anyone who liked books couldn't be too bad of a person. "All sorts of them. I think there's so much we can learn from them..."

"Mm. I like travelling," Ana added after they had finished. "Makes makes me a bit odd, by the standards of most witches, but I do. There's something about seeing new lands and meeting new people that is magical in and of itself. Even returning home for the first time in years is...curious." But the blonde shook her head. "Enough of this wistfulness. What house do you think you'll all end up in? If you know about the houses, that is."

"I do! I read Hogwarts: A History!" Hermione spoke up, excitedly, with Ana chuckling.

"Then by all means, Mione, what house do you think you'll like most?"

[ ] Gryffindor
[ ] Ravenclaw
[ ] Hufflepuf
[ ] Slytherin
[ ] "I'm not sure really. Each house has its good points."

skulkidcachi90
October 7th, 2018, 02:05 AM
[ ] Ravenclaw

Skull Leader
October 7th, 2018, 02:25 PM
[X] "I'm not sure really. Each house has its good points."

I guess I would prefer something other than Ravenclaw again for her. Even if its the best fitting house for her.

Let's try Slytherin...it could go great or horrible. Or both.

[X] Slytherin

alfheimwanderer
October 7th, 2018, 05:15 PM
No strong preferences then?

Desann
October 8th, 2018, 08:05 AM
[x] Gryffindor

skulkidcachi90
October 8th, 2018, 08:33 AM
Yeah change my vote to:

[x] Gryffindor

alfheimwanderer
October 8th, 2018, 09:00 AM
[x] Leaning Gryffindor, but open to other houses.

100%

"I..." Hermione began, only to trail off. "I'm not actually sure. Gryffindor would be nice, since it was the house the Headmaster came from and all, as well as the house of the Potters, who ended the war. But..."

"But?" Ana echoed.

"I like books. A lot. And I think Ravenclaw might be a better place for me? Or maybe Slytherin, since my parents always told me to make the world a better place than I left it, and to change the world, I need power."

"Not Hufflepuff then?"

"...I don't really understand why there's one house that's dedicated to hard work," Hermione replied, her brow furrowing as she said this. "Shouldn't everyone be working hard to reach their dreams?"

"Not everyone thinks that way," Ana responded. "Many people just want to get by as best they can, with as little effort as they can. People with no ambition, people who are brilliant but lazy, it's not exactly rare, you know?"

"...well, that's true," Hermione assented, recalling those sorts in her primary school years. "How about you, Ana? What House?"

"Oh, probably Slytherin, though I'm not set on it," the blonde answered immediately. "It's just that my grandfather did tell me that being on good terms with Professor Slughorn could be useful later on. That, and I've always wanted to see just how the Slytherin dorms look. I hear they extend under the lake, so all you see outside the window is water. Well, and the occasional merman. Or mermaid."

"Mermaid?" the Japanese boy echoed, his ears having picked up on something interesting. "They...they're not just found at sea?"

"Well, the beautiful ones are. Usually in the warmer parts, too. The ones in the Black Lake are not nearly so pretty. Even if they don't use seashells to cover themselves up."

"I...uh, I wasn't thinking about that at all!" Shinji protested, though his tomato red face belied his true thoughts.

Hermione blinked.

"...you know a lot of things."

"I've traveled a great deal with my grandfather," Ana related grandly. "I've been to six of the seven continents of the world, been on adventures in places from Timbuktu to El Dorado." She paused, her voice growing quiet as she looked out the window, noting how the train had begun to move. "I've seen things most people wouldn't believe. Ships aflame on a sunless sea. Spells woven of light and song shining in eternal night. A flight of dragons taking flight at the first hint of dawn. So many moments, and yet, here I am once more, coming to this place, this place from which there is no escape..."

"...escape?" Shinji echoed, his expression almost owlish as he regarded the blonde. "Why would you want to escape?" For him, after all, a chance to gain power was a chance to gain power, so why would anyone want to run away from that?

"Because this place is mired in a past where I don't belong," Ana murmured. "To them, when the war ended, everything was fine, because things were how they were before. And yet, the way it was before was what led to the war. Voldemort or his ilk were terrible, true, but without things being as they were, their message would not have taken root or flourished."

"What...are you saying?"

"That I think there will be another war sooner or later in Britain," Ana stated blandly. "Maybe not tomorrow, or next year, but in the next decade or two. Because the Ministry failed to do what was necessary...as did the Headmaster."

"What was...necessary?"

"...that's something for another time," the blonde said after a few long seconds. "My apologies. I have strong feelings on the matter."

"No, no that's...fine," Shinji responded, reddening as the blonde graced him with a smile.

"And you then, Sir Knight? Which House for you?"

"...Ravenclaw or Slytherin," came the answer. "Knowledge is power, but then, so is power itself."

"Very true."

What next?

[ ] Remain in the compartment with them - there's more to ask
[ ] Take a nap, it's safe and quiet
[ ] Ask Matou to unseal the door so they can roam the Hogwarts Express

Cassius
October 8th, 2018, 07:55 PM
[x] Ask Matou to unseal the door so they can roam the Hogwarts Express

Skull Leader
October 9th, 2018, 11:54 AM
[x] Remain in the compartment with them - there's more to ask

Thought I do not mind the roaming around option.

skulkidcachi90
October 9th, 2018, 07:54 PM
[x] Remain in the compartment with them - there's more to ask

alfheimwanderer
October 9th, 2018, 07:56 PM
[x] Remain in the compartment with them - there's more to ask

100%

Note: In the event of a tie in this quest, the more conservative/passive option will be given priority. This is done to expedite votes, so we don't end up in no man's land for several days, or need me to just mash options up.

100%

What questions does she have for Matou? (choose two)

[ ] Ask about his dreams
[ ] Ask about his benefactor
[ ] Ask about his childhood
[ ] Ask about the types of magic he likes best
[ ] (write-in)

What about for Ana?

[ ]Ask what its like to be a noble
[ ] Ask about her favorite places in the world
[ ] Ask about what it was like to grow up with magic
[ ] Ask if she can show off a spell or two, since Matou already did
[ ] (write-in)

skulkidcachi90
October 9th, 2018, 08:21 PM
[ ] Ask about his dreams
[ ] Ask about his benefactor

[ ] Ask about her favorite places in the world
[ ] Ask about what it was like to grow up with magic

Skull Leader
October 9th, 2018, 10:02 PM
You know what, I will second skulkidcachi90 votes here. I don't mind them. It is better than asking Shinji about his family or childhood.

[ ] Ask about his dreams
[ ] Ask about his benefactor

[ ] Ask about her favorite places in the world
[ ] Ask about what it was like to grow up with magic

Daiki
October 9th, 2018, 10:07 PM
[x] Ask about his dreams
[x] Ask about his benefactor

[x] Ask about her favorite places in the world
[x] Ask about what it was like to grow up with magic

alfheimwanderer
October 10th, 2018, 02:25 AM
Shinji: [x] Ask about his dreams; [x] Ask about his benefactor
Ana: [x] Ask about her favorite places in the world; [x] Ask about what it was like to grow up with magic

100%

"Is...is that what you dream of?" Hermione asked the boy. "Power?"

"...is it so wrong to want power?" he replied, peering at her with slate gray eyes filled with something like sorrow. "When living without it is like being a powerless corpse, doomed to rot away?" He frowned, looking down. "I won't go back to that. I won't." His fists clenched as his body stiffened, as if he was remembering something horrible, with Hermione's heart throbbing at the sight. "I won't," he whispered.

Hermione desperately tried to think of something to say - anything at all, but the words wouldn't come. The pain in his voice, the determination and grit...it was like she could feel it, and her mouth went try at the enormity of the emotions pouring off of him.

"I..." she began, only for her voice to falter.

"Then you don't have to," Ana said in her place, with Shinji turning to the blonde with a look of shock as her fingers lightly brushed his fist. "Take that feeling, and hold onto it. Let it become your power, as your yourself become glorious."

"Glorious..." Shinji repeated dully. "Me...?"

"And why not?" the blonde asked warmly. "Imagining something is the first step of making it real, is it not? To see - to believe - that is the basis of magic. If you cannot convince yourself, how will you convince the world."

"Convince...huh." The boy's hmm seemed thoughtful. "You may be right."

"I often am," Ana replied, with the boy smiling despite himself at her words.

"Um, so who is your benefactor, anyway?" Hermione blurted out, feeling that she had to say something - anything, so that the two didn't get lost in one another.

Shinji jerked at her voice, blinking as he took a breath.

"She is the Second Owner of the Spiritual Land of Fuyuki," the Japanese boy said slowly. "A...she makes sure the secret of magic is kept."

"How interesting. I would have thought that to be the job of the Council?" Ana questioned.

"Not in Fuyuki," Shinji said simply.

"Ah, so it's a special region, then?"

"...yes." Clearly the boy had more to say, but just as clearly, he wasn't about to say it. "You said...you have been around the world."

"Yes. What of it?"

"What is your favorite place?" the boy asked the blonde girl, wondering what she would say. Perhaps she would say Egypt. Perhaps she would prefer the shores of America. Perhaps she would say something like France or--

"The Isle of Thule."

--or the Isle of Thule, whatever that was.

"The isle of...?"

"It's a mysterious place where the Finals of the Wizarding Schools Potions Competition is held every seven years, with fierce beasts, terrible magics, and wonders one can only imagine. To go to it, one must be a Champion of a competing school, or one of the very few staff or guests."

"You...you were a guest?" Shinji inquired, with Ana nodding quietly.

"I was, thanks to my grandfather, who was a special judge that year," the blonde noted. The Japanese boy's eyes widened, but he only nodded. "I admit, my childhood hasn't been the most normal, because of him, but it's been a good one."

"A magical one?"

"Well, even magic isn't everything, Sir Knight. Even those of us who know how to wave a wand around have troubles, you know? Just different ones."

100%

Hermione remains with the group for the rest of the way to Hogwarts, with questions being tossed back and forth, mostly between Ana and Shinji, though the brunette manages to sneak a word in now and then. Yet as the train pulls into Hogsmeade Station and the boy undoes the seal on the door, with the figure becoming a stone bird once more and flying into his hand, the brunette wonders whether or not she should meet some others on the walk to the Castle.

What does Hermione do?

[ ] Stay with Ana and Shinji - they seem like good people
[ ] Bid them goodbye and find another group - since she has the chance, she should make new friends
[ ] Walk alone with her thoughts
[ ] Help out the poor boy looking desperately for his lost toad
[ ] (write-in)

Skull Leader
October 10th, 2018, 11:55 AM
[X] Bid them goodbye and find another group - since she has the chance, she should make new friends

Might as well. Thought I could also get behind the her being self-reflective option.

skulkidcachi90
October 10th, 2018, 12:40 PM
[ ] Walk alone with her thoughts

Cassius
October 10th, 2018, 05:50 PM
[ ] Walk alone with her thoughts

alfheimwanderer
October 10th, 2018, 11:05 PM
[x] Walk alone with her thoughts

100%

Stepping off the train, surrounded by chattering, excited students, Hermione Granger felt almost lost, she walked, accompanied only by her thoughts. Her conversations with the enigmatic Matou Shinji (who craved power, but didn't seem to be a bad person, unlike what her parents had always said about power-hungry politicians), and with Ana Spencer (who was related to royalty, and with whom Matou seemed much more comfortable speaking than her), had made her realize just how out of her depth she was.

Ana had seen through her in a moment, identifying her as someone who hadn't been born into a magical family, despite all of the reading she'd done. The blonde was well-meaning, she was sure, but it made her feel...inadequate, as if she was a leaf, being carried out to sea, adrift on the ocean's grey waves.

So now she was playing with her wand, rolling it around, with a stone wreathed with blue flames moving through the air in odd patterns as she did, doing figure eights, loop de loops and more.

How high could the stone rise, she wondered? She didn't know, and so kept sending the stone higher and higher and higher, until it was out of sight.

"And upon whose head will you bring that down?" came a voice near her ear, with Hermione almost yelping as she turned, the tip of her wand slashing down as a flaming stone hurtled from the heavens with a vengeance, causing a tree some distance behind them to all but explode from the impact, with the eyes of the person - an aristocratic blond, flanked by two rather...substantial boys - who'd spoken to her going wide as he heard the noise.

The half-giant leading the pack of students called for a halt as he went off to investigate, with the group of first years descending into chaos as they milled about, wondering what had caused the explosion.

Or at least, most of them wondered.

"...wicked," the blond stated, glancing behind him to see that a tree had collapsed. "You're clearly someone worth knowing."

"Why?" Hermione asked, trying not to look guilty - and failing. "I...I didn't do anything."

"So you didn't make a rock hover in the air just now, and then send it down upon a defenseless tree?" the boy questioned, his eyebrows going up.

Hermione, not wanting to confirm her guilt aloud, fidgeted. Or rather, she signed "Do you understand me" in British Sign Language - which effectively was what Rune Sign Language seemed to be based on, with the blond's eyes growing yet wider as he blinked, before he signed back the "Yes."

"...you...you can sign?" she asked, taken aback.

The boy signed that his father had taught him, and asked where she had learned.

"My aunt," she said aloud, with the blond nodding approvingly, signing that blood was important, to which she agreed, as without her family, she would be nowhere. "Hermione Granger," she added, by way of a belated introduction.

"Draco Malfoy," the blond replied easily. "About what happened before - it will be our little secret, hm?"

Hermione couldn't help but smile as she nodded.

She couldn't help but think she'd made her first real friend.

What does she talk about with Draco?

[ ] What he expected from Hogwarts
[ ] Who the two boys following him around are
[ ] The half-giant and the dangers of non-human races
[ ] If he met anyone else interesting
[ ] (write-in)

skulkidcachi90
October 11th, 2018, 12:14 AM
[ ] If he met anyone else interesting

Cassius
October 11th, 2018, 07:41 PM
[x] If he met anyone else interesting

alfheimwanderer
October 12th, 2018, 08:22 PM
[x] If he met anyone else interesting

100%

The golden haired boy's expression faltered for a moment at the question, his eyes glancing over at a fairly distinct purple-haired girl in the center of a gaggle of others. Hermione glanced over to see the dusky skin girl turn and meet her eyes with an eerie violet gaze for a moment, nodding in acknowledgement before she turned back.

'...no way. She shouldn't have noticed me looking over just now.' Still, she had. Somehow.

"Her name is Sokaris," Draco muttered quietly. "A Ravenclaw that one, but with all the cunning of a proper Slytherin. She's from Egypt."

"Egypt?" Hermione echoed. "Does that mean...she's paying her own fees?" the girl wondered aloud, wondering if Sokaris was from a wealthy family. Dressed in black Hogwarts robes, everyone seemed equal enough, but the way the purple-haired girl carried herself...it was as if she was always aware of what was around her, and utterly unconcerned about it. "Aren't they expensive?"

"Not for the International Confederation," Draco muttered. "At least that's who I think is paying her way. Father tells me that Hogwarts' curriculum is up for review this year, so foreigners will be tramping all about the school." He smiled slightly. "Heh, maybe they'll get rid of this Defense nonsense and let us learn the Dark Arts properly again, like Durmstrang."

"Durmstrang, huh?" the brunette echoed."Yeah. Almost went there, but Mother didn't want me to be so far away." Hermione thought that Draco choosing to stay closer to home meant he was a rather good person really. But the boy was speaking again. "Did you want to go somewhere else?"

"...no, just Hogwarts."

"Ah, well, best magical school in the world, some say," Draco said winsomely. "As long as you don't count how history class is taught by a ghost."

"A ghost?" the girl echoed. "Can a ghost even teach?"

"Not well," the blonde replied. "Father was most insistent that Professor Binns be removed before the inspection team came, lest he bore them to death and we all be accused of murder."

Hermione giggled at the boy's joke. "Well, we can't have that, can we?"

"No, we can't all be Hagrid, after all," Draco said quietly, noting the half-giant tramping by. "They say he was expelled, years ago, only escaping Azkaban at the bidding of Dumbledore. Just shows that when you have power like that, the rules are more of a suggestion."

The girl blinked.

"It certainly seems that way," was all she allowed herself to say.

After some further walking, taking boats across the lake and such, the First Years finally enter the Great Hall, where the Sorting begins. The hat is placed on her head, and a voice sounds...

'What did you dream of becoming when you were small?'

[ ] A solicitor
[ ] A lauded professor
[ ] A bestselling author
[ ] A journalist
[ ] (write-in)

skulkidcachi90
October 12th, 2018, 10:33 PM
[ ] A bestselling author

Skull Leader
October 13th, 2018, 07:30 PM
[X] A solicitor

No way am I picking the bestselling author here. Hermione is already far too much JKR's self-insert without wanting to be an author as well.

Solicitor sounds just like Hermione to me. Someone that reads way way too much law books and memorizes all of them and then goes around trying to convince everyone in hearing range that she is right.

Daiki
October 14th, 2018, 09:19 AM
[x] A lauded professor.

I will go with the option that doesn't make her sound too boring or extravagant.

Desann
October 14th, 2018, 09:08 PM
[x] A lauded professor

alfheimwanderer
October 14th, 2018, 10:37 PM
[x] A lauded professor

100%

And just what would she be known for?

[ ] The innovation and quality of her research
[ ] The rapidness of her rise through academia
[ ] The accomplishments of her students
[ ] The frequency with which she appears on the news

Skull Leader
October 15th, 2018, 12:38 AM
Hermione not vane I think so the last option I think I will rule out. The others are a toss up for me but I think I want to see her with ambition so I go with...

[X] The rapidness of her rise through academia

Cassius
October 15th, 2018, 06:33 AM
[x] The innovation and quality of her research

Desann
October 15th, 2018, 08:21 AM
[x] The innovation and quality of her research

skulkidcachi90
October 15th, 2018, 10:22 AM
[ ] The innovation and quality of her research

alfheimwanderer
October 15th, 2018, 11:01 AM
[x] The innovation and quality of her research

100%

'Ah, so you wish to be acknowledged for your discoveries, always pushing the boundaries of what is known. Curious, curious...let me ask something different then. What do you hate - or if there is nothing you hate - which do you dislike most?'

[ ] Stupidity
[ ] Rule-breakers
[ ] People who will not recognize their own incompetence
[ ] Bullies

Skull Leader
October 15th, 2018, 02:36 PM
[X] People who will not recognize their own incompetence

Daiki
October 15th, 2018, 03:24 PM
[x] People who will not recognize their own incompetence.

Sounds like a jab for Dumbledore

skulkidcachi90
October 15th, 2018, 07:03 PM
[ ] People who will not recognize their own incompetence

alfheimwanderer
October 15th, 2018, 07:37 PM
[x] People who will not recognize their own incompetence.

100%

"Not particularly tolerant of those who are not self-aware, are we? Take care, lest the face in the mirror be your own."
Hermione was confused, since of course the face she saw in the mirror would be her own - why wouldn't it be? Still, it seemed there would be no end to the questions, for the voice was speaking to her once more...

What do you fear most?

[ ] Being alone
[ ] Being seen as stupid
[ ] Being thought of as a coward
[ ] Being mediocre

If you found yourself opposing a friend, what would be the most likely cause?

[ ] Because they are wrong and are in need of correction
[ ] Because of your loyalties to another friend
[ ] Because they stand in the way of you getting an opportunity
[ ] Because they hold you back from attaining eternal glory

Skull Leader
October 16th, 2018, 02:41 AM
[X] Being alone
[X] Because they are wrong and are in need of correction

Daiki
October 16th, 2018, 06:23 AM
[x] Being alone
[x] Because of your loyalties to another friend

skulkidcachi90
October 16th, 2018, 12:45 PM
[ ] Being thought of as a coward


[ ] Because they are wrong and are in need of correction

Cassius
October 16th, 2018, 02:17 PM
[x] being mediocre [x] Because of your loyalties to another friend

alfheimwanderer
October 17th, 2018, 09:22 PM
[x] Being Alone
[X] Because they are wrong and are in need of correction; [X] Because of your loyalties to another friend

100%

'Well, this is slightly embarrassing. It would seem you are more difficult to place then most,' the Hat commented wryly. 'The only House where you would not fit in well is Gryffindor, though I confess you would not make a terribly good Hufflepuff either. So, I suppose since you are the girl in the seat, which House would you prefer to be in? Slytherin or Ravenclaw?"

[ ] Slytherin
[ ] Ravenclaw

skulkidcachi90
October 17th, 2018, 09:25 PM
[ ] Ravenclaw

Skull Leader
October 17th, 2018, 10:08 PM
[X] Slytherin

Anything to avoid putting her in the same house as the other two times.

Cassius
October 17th, 2018, 10:35 PM
[X] Slytherin

Daiki
October 17th, 2018, 11:28 PM
[x] Slytherin

alfheimwanderer
October 18th, 2018, 02:07 AM
[X] Slytherin

100%

'Slytherin,' she thinks to herself, as the intense expression of a certain Matou Shinji and his desire for power came unbidden to her mind.

'Then Slytherin it is!' the hat crows triumphantly in her mind.

The moment the Sorting Hat mentioned this though, the girl began to have second thoughts, thinking that perhaps it would be better if she were in Ravenclaw after all.

'No, wait, I'm not sure I want to be in--'

"'SLYTHERIN!"

The announcement, once made, could not be revoked, and so the bushy-haired brunette found herself walking over to the table draped in green, where the older students welcomed her. She couldn't deny that it was...nice to feel like she belonged somewhere - that people were happy that she was one of them. None of her peers had ever shown her appreciation like that before, and she drank it in.

She took note of who was sorted where, with a few notables sticking in her mind. Draco, happily, went to Slytherin, where he sat next to her and signed to her that he was glad she was in the best of the houses. Shinji sat across from her, his intense, but moody gaze looking over the hall as he did. A set of twins - Noels - went to Gryffindor. The purple-haired girl - Sialim Sokaris - went to Ravenclaw, along with a large group of others. And Ana Spencer of course, went to Slytherin, and moved to sit on Hermione's other side.

"So we meet again," the blonde murmured, with Hermione nodding.

"So we do," she mumbled.

"You seem to have made a friend. Introduce me?"

Well?

[ ] Introduce her
[ ] Let Draco introduce himself first
[ ] Mention that she should introduce herself

Also, on the high table stage, one sees a number of the teachers - Lord and Lady Black, who teach History and Astronomy, respectively. Professor Quirrell, the Defense against the Dark Arts instructor. Professor Slughorn, Potions instructor and head of House Slytherin. Professor McGonagall, Transfiguration Professor and head of Gryffindor. Professor Flitwick, Charms Professor and Head of House Ravenclaw. Professor Sprout, Herbology Professor and Head of House Hufflepuff. Leonardo de Lune, a new Professor who teaches both Art and Muggle Studies. And of course, Albus Dumbledore, the Headmaster.

Draco offers to tell Hermione about any of the Professors...which does she want to know most about?

[ ] (Write-in)

Skull Leader
October 18th, 2018, 06:49 PM
[X] Introduce her

While I would usually introduce the gentlemen first to the lady but I am not going to let Draco here introduce himself that would be too much chance for Draco's ego to come out.

[X] Talk about Leonardo de Lune

The Blacks are my next choice cause of Draco's connection to them but really I am more entertained having Draco talk about this new Professor in front of Ana without anyone realizing the connection there. Still if we want to talk about Blacks or Slughorn cause Draco will have better information about those two, be my guest.

Daiki
October 18th, 2018, 10:14 PM
[x] Introduce her. [x] Leonardo de Lune.

New character first, yeah.

alfheimwanderer
October 19th, 2018, 03:08 AM
[x] Introduce her
[x] Leonardo de Lune.

100%

Hermione Granger was not used to being put on the spot in a social situation like this, mostly because having friends was rather new to her. All in all, it was a bit surprising - she thought she hadn't made a good impression on the blonde, but Ana apparently thought otherwise. Perhaps the blonde still wanted to be her friend? Or at least, maybe Ana still saw her as useful?

Either way, she wouldn't get very far if she couldn't carry out a simple request.

"Ah, Draco, this is Ana Spencer, who I met on the train, as well as Matou Shinji," Hermione offered, glancing from the boy beside her to the blonde on her other side, and the boy across from her. "Ana, Shinji, this is Draco Malfoy, who I met on the walk over."

"I see," Ana noted, her eyebrows rising in surprise. "Malfoy hm? The grandson of Abraxas Malfoy, perhaps?"

"...I am," the pureblood boy admitted slowly. "You know of my grandfather?"

"He was a capable wizard and an even more capable politician, I'm told," Ana replied, with Draco nodding, fascinated that someone else - someone he didn't recognize - knew his family history so well. "If you are indeed his grandson, you have quite a legacy to live up to."

Draco closed his eyes moment, before opening them and nodding.

"That is why I am a Slytherin," he answered, "that I may be a wizard as grand as my grandfather before me." He blinked. "Well, and my father, I suppose."

"Ah yes...what was his name again? Noctis?" the girl asked quietly.

"No...Lucius," Draco replied, seeming a bit puzzled. "Light, not Darkness."

"Ah, like the Lightbringer," Ana quipped, though Draco didn't seem to get the reference as he nodded.

"Exactly. Like one who brings light into darkness," he readily agreed, though he narrowed his eyes. "You're odd, you know. You speak like a pureblood, knowing of my grandfather, yet you don't know who my father is?"

"I was born into such a family, yet I have spent much of my life abroad," the girl responded.

"Oh? An adventurer then?" Draco inquired, his interest piqued. "Though I can't say I've heard of any Spencers among the old families...is that even your real name?"

"It wasn't the name I was born with, but it is my real name. For now," Ana replied, with Shinji blinking.

"You had another name before?" the Japanese boy spoke up.

"My first was too flowerlike for my liking," the girl noted.

"Flowerlike..." Draco murmured. "Your first name was Rose then? Or perhaps Anna Rose?"

"Perhaps," Ana commented dryly. "But don't expect me to help you figure it out."

"Is your name such a secret?"

"No, but its more fun if you solve a mystery yourself, isn't it? For now, if you must think of me as something other than Spencer, call me...Moriarty."

"...is that even a real name?" Malfoy questioned, though this time it was Shinji who spoke up.

"It is," the Japanese boy said tersely. "I'm surprised you don't know it. Even in the east, the name is famous."

"Famous, hm? I'm surprised - you're quite well-read, Mister Matou."

"I know the names of quite a few figures. You could say I'm very much like Mycroft."

"...a civil servant?" Ana commented. "Doesn't seem in line with your ambitions."

"No. Smarter than my...more recognized sibling," the Japanese boy hissed.

"So I see. And 'Mione, what alias might you take? Aside from the one you already wear of course."

"Vivian."

"A bold claim, that," Ana stated.

"What do you mean?" Malfoy questioned, not recognizing the name. "She only chose a name, did she not?"

"A name that, were I to read deeply into it, posits her as the heir to Merlin's secrets." Ana smiled slyly at Hermione. "Properly ambitious, aren't you?"

"I--"

"Come, there's not need to deny it. You are a Slytherin, after all. It is only fair to dream lofty dreams, though our measure is not what we imagine, but the visions we realize."

Draco mentions that he doesn't know much about Leonardo de Lune, except that the man comes from France, where he once served as a visiting Professor at Beauxbatons, seems to know a great deal about history, and was hired after Binns was sent to the great beyond. He also has a curious habit of drinking from a flask, and according to the Headmaster, bears more than a passing resemblance to Nicholas Flamel.

He does also mention that he's related to the Blacks, and is hoping to make some connections at Hogwarts this year - though he is glad he's already found at least one.

When Hermione asks who that might be, Draco only chuckles.

In the common room that night, a few of the Professors - Slytherin alumni - are present at something like a small reception. This, according to Professor Slughorn, is something the Slytherins do every year, so that the newcomers can mingle with faculty and students, and get some questions answered. They have a reputation of always looking sharp and being on top of things - even on the very first day of classes and it would be a shame to break such a longstanding tradition.

Who does Hermione wish to prioritize speaking to?

[ ] Professor Slughorn
[ ] Lord and Lady Black
[ ] The Prefects
[ ] Her new friends

skulkidcachi90
October 19th, 2018, 05:33 AM
[ ] Professor Slughorn

Daiki
October 19th, 2018, 03:43 PM
[x] Lord and Lady Black

Getting on the good side of prefects sounds good too but I'm curious about these two.

Cassius
October 19th, 2018, 09:37 PM
[X] Professor Slughorn

Skull Leader
October 20th, 2018, 11:27 AM
[X] Professor Slughorn

Looking at who Hermione is and her...ahm...personality, I can say that while talking to the Blacks might be what I want to do, it is still best that Hermione does not talk to them at the moment since she is likely to not leave a great impression to them depending on who this is. Also perfects of Slytherin do not come across to me as a helpful senpai bunch so at this point best to not go up to them and expect them to be friendly to the first year student, especially when we do not want to broadcast her muggleborn background.

alfheimwanderer
October 20th, 2018, 05:45 PM
[X] Professor Slughorn

100%

While history of getting on poorly with people her age seemed to be firmly behind her, now that she had met such interesting people at Hogwarts, the fact remained that Hermione Granger felt much more comfortable talking to teachers. She had always been rather deferential to authority, after all, as it was authority that protected her against the torments that the less scrupulous of her classmates could visit on her. That, and her teachers always appreciated hard work and intelligence, while it had been classmates who had thought of her as a know-it-all who was "too good" to socialize with everyone else.

Hence she went to Professor Slughorn, the head of House, reasoning that it would be a good idea to see what kind of man he was. Was he friendly? Was he strict? Did he help his students outside the classroom? Did he leave then to fend for themselves?

Unsurprisingly, others had the same idea, so there was a bit of a queue to get through. While she waited, she supposed she could speak to her classmates, think of what to say to Professor Slughorn, or...listen in on other conversations.

[ ] Talk to others in the queue
[ ] Think of something to say
[ ] Listen in on other conversations

One of the first things the Professor asks her when she reaches the front is if she is if she is related to Hector Dagworth-Granger.

[ ] Say that she isn't, to her knowledge
[ ] (lie) Say that she is, though only distantly
[ ] Say that she doesn't know, as she is new to the world of magic

Skull Leader
October 20th, 2018, 11:21 PM
[X] Think of something to say
[X] Say that she doesn't know, as she is new to the world of magic

I guess I will pick my poison here and be honest to him. The lie would be hard to keep up but hey maybe its a better idea to lie. I don't know.

Cassius
October 22nd, 2018, 10:58 AM
[X] Say that she doesn't know, as she is new to the world of magic [x] Listen in on other conversations

alfheimwanderer
October 26th, 2018, 05:10 AM
While in the queue: [x] Listen in on other conversations + [X] Think of something to say
Say to Slughorn: [X] Say that she doesn't know, as she is new to the world of magic

100%

Professor Slughorn's eyebrows rise slightly as she admits that she is new to the world of magic, as he had clearly had not been expecting such an answer.

"Ah, an unusual background for someone in this house," the man murmured. "Even so, it's not something to be held against you. Some of our most distinguished alumni were once like you." He glances across the room, catching the eye of Lord Black, who was just finishing up a conversation with another student.

Lord Black, looking quite severe, made his way over.

"Yes, Horace?" the dark-haired man drawled, his raptor gaze making Hermione feel as if she was some vulnerable rodent to be carried away.

"Severus, I wanted to introduce you to Miss Granger, one of the first years whose background was similar to yours."

"...I see," Lord Black responded after some moments, as he finished looking over the girl in question. "Granger, was it?"

Hermione nodded.

"Y-yes, sir. You...you were a Muggleborn, sir?"

A terrible silence hung in the air after she uttered those words, and as the man stared at her as if she'd committed some unspeakable sin, she wished she could take back her words - no, that the earth would swallow her where she stood.

"A half blood," he said finally. "But I am not...unfamiliar with the struggles of muggleborn."

"His late best friend, one of the most brilliant students I have ever known, was one," Slughorn added. "And I am sure you will be no less."

"Should you have...questions, you may visit my office following class hours," Lord Black said after a time. "Provided you are not averse to...childcare."

"Um, not at all." Hermione said, bowing stiffly.

Lord Black nodded, and turned away, leaving Hermione feeling as if she could breathe again.

She and Professor Slughorn talked for a bit further, but nothing stuck in her head.

Afterwards, Draco came up to her.

"I'm impressed. You somehow managed to gain enough favor with my godfather that he invited you to talk to him."

"He mentioned children?"

"Ah, Alberio and Alkaid...he asked you to look after them?"

Hermione nodded wordlessly.

"Huh. He must really like you then. I'm the only one he's asked for that before."

What does Hermione say?

[ ] Ask for more information on Lord Black
[ ] Ask about the children
[ ] Ask about Draco
[ ] (write-in)

"Also, what do you think of that Matou fellow and...Ana Spencer, was it?"

[ ] (write-in)

skulkidcachi90
October 26th, 2018, 05:42 AM
[ ] Ask about Draco

Cassius
October 27th, 2018, 03:58 PM
[x] Ask about Draco [x] strange but friendly

Daiki
October 27th, 2018, 07:39 PM
[x] Ask about the children.

[x] Friendly enough if a bit mysterious. They look like individuals with potential.

skulkidcachi90
October 27th, 2018, 08:58 PM
[x] Friendly enough if a bit mysterious. They look like individuals with potential

Skull Leader
October 27th, 2018, 09:42 PM
[x] Ask about the children.

That includes Draco right? He certainly acts like one at this age.[jk]

Seriousness I am fine with asking Draco about himself or tell us about the kids. Draco is likely talk a storm up on either subject.

alfheimwanderer
October 30th, 2018, 08:34 PM
What does she say? [X] Ask about the children; [X] Ask about Draco
Thoughts on Spencer & co: [x] Friendly enough if a bit mysterious. They look like individuals with potential

100%

"Oh?" Hermione asked, trying to think of what might be something appropriate to talk about with her new friend. "Tell me about them. The children, I mean. Alkaid and Alberio, you said?"

"Mm, yes. The Black family has a tradition of naming children after the stars," Draco replied, though he tilted his head a moment later, frowning. "Though maybe it was just things in the heavens?" He shook his head. "Anyway, they're eight years old, but fiendishly clever, as you'd expect from a Potions master's children...they'll be right terrors once they're actually enrolled here." Draco sniffed. "They live at Hogwarts during the year, with Aunt Andromeda and Uncle Severus, and have the run of the place. Even Fitch seems to tolerate them, old bugger that he is, since they're not as bad as Peeves. Or so he thinks anyway."

"Peeves?"

Draco chuckled.

"The castle poltergeist. A prankster who only the Bloody Baron - the Slytherin House Ghost - can manage. That's why I'm glad I'm in this house, since none of us have ever been pranked by him."

"Huh," Hermione noted. That was an interesting fact. "Does he listen to anyone else at all? Peeves, I mean?"

"He seems to listen to Lord Black's twins, but that's because they're co-conspirators, as often as not," Draco replied. "Horribly inventive co-conspirators with access to their father's potions cabinet."

"...oh dear" seemed to be the only appropriate response.

"That's about the long and the short of it. What settles them down are things to learn...and stories, though I don't know too many, just the usual sorts. I don't suppose you know any stories?"

"...a few?" Hermione hazarded, to which Draco looked relieved.

"Then maybe you'll do better than I!" After a moment, he looked away, glancing over at where Ana Spencer and her Japanese companion were talking to Slughorn. "Say, what do you think about those two anyway?"

"Friendly enough, if a bit mysterious," she replied "They seem like they know quite a lot, but I don't know much about them. I know Spencer is nobility though, or something like it."

"Huh. Nobility, huh? Like a Lady? I didn't think there were many of those left in the wizarding world, but maybe I'm wrong."

Classes

What topic will Hermione focus on most? (for reference, see the schedule below)

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdzpdc118X1qzgmrl.png

Skull Leader
October 31st, 2018, 08:31 PM
You know I am sure we should pick a more traditional class here as the focus, but I think I want to reach for the stars...

[X]Astronomy

I regret nothing for making that pun.

But seriously if we are going to be friends with Draco and hang around with the Blacks kids, I think we need to focus on either History (Snape) or Astronomy (Andromeda) class. And given the Blacks love for stellar based names lets spend some focus on that subject. But if I had to pick a more major subject to throw effort at I would have to say Charms for now. I do not need the warrior spell caster Hermione yet. Nor do I think she needs to do great at Transfiguration. Potions with Slughorn seems to be an ok pick.

But why not go all in with the Black little quirk subject for now. I think we need to endear Hermione to both Blacks to learn how to blend in with the purebloods of Slytherin.

Daiki
November 1st, 2018, 12:06 AM
[X]Astronomy

alfheimwanderer
November 2nd, 2018, 08:51 PM
[X]Astronomy

100%

Hermione, on seeing her schedule, was at once pleased and disappointed. As someone who had enjoyed hearing stories of the stars and the constellations in the sky, Astronomy was by far her favorite subjects, so it was nice to see it on her schedule.

...what was less nice to see was that it was on Thursday, towards the end of the week, and at midnight, instead of a more reasonable time, like 8 or 9 o clock, but she supposed she didn't have a choice as to when her classes would be. Not as a first year anyway.

In the meantime, she had to get through her other classes, like Potions and Herbology - and frankly, she'd never been one for digging in the dirt or doing things in the kitchen when she could be reading instead.

Still, required was required, and she supposed that there was something to be learned from brewing, even if, as Draco mentioned, the class was in a dungeon. With everyone thinking she was related to a Granger who was a potioneer, maybe she should put in more effort into it as well? But then, where should the extra study time come out of?

[ ] Another class' study time
[ ] Free time - socializing isn't that important
[ ] Meals

And who does she work with for Potions?

[ ] Draco - He seems friendly enough, and has probably learned things from his godfather
[ ] Matou - Deep, brooding and intense, he seems like he has a good grounding in arcane magics
[ ] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood,perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful
[ ] A dashing copper-haired Gryffindor by the name of Phelan Noel, who seems about as awkward around potions as she feels

skulkidcachi90
November 2nd, 2018, 11:46 PM
[ ] Another class' study time
[ ] Draco - He seems friendly enough, and has probably learned things from his godfather

Skull Leader
November 5th, 2018, 01:01 AM
[X] Another class' study time
[X] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood,perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful

I hate to cut into another class study time but its still better than not socializing or skipping meals (god she would suffer if she did that).

I am inclined to pick Draco for the partner but if we want her to have most people keep assuming she related to the potion Grangers then we need to work with someone that might be able to cover for that as well as already being in the know. Draco can figure out Hermione rather fast in a subject that he knows well when she stumbles in it at first.

alfheimwanderer
November 7th, 2018, 09:11 PM
So, Ana or Draco?

Desann
November 7th, 2018, 09:33 PM
[X] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood,perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful

shanagan
November 8th, 2018, 03:26 AM
[X] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood,perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful

alfheimwanderer
November 8th, 2018, 05:17 AM
[X] Another class' study time
[X] Ana Spencer - Obviously a pureblood, perhaps there's something she knows that could be useful

100%

Potions as the first class of the day was not something that sat well with Hermione Granger, mostly because the smells of all the brewing potions and ingredients, following a heavy breakfast, made her slightly nauseous. There were reasons she preferred books to these sorts of classes - books never made made her feel like she was going to throw up, or got her hands messy. Newspapers sometimes did, but she didn't really like those much either.

It didn't help that this was her first time at boarding school, eating around so many people - many of which expected her to be something she wasn't, or talked about Gryffindor as if the house was cursed, given how its members had been involved with one misadventure after another - even nearly getting the school flooded with magical ice on at least one occasion.

"Did that really happen?" Hermione asked, to which she was treated to a fantastical retelling of the Cursed Ice incident by Draco, whose cousin - a Hufflepuff - had counted among her more persistent frenemies a Slytherin by the improbable name of Merula Snyde. According to Draco, the two had quite a few adventures related to a series of Cursed Vaults hidden around the grounds of Hogwarts by powerful magic. "And what is in these vaults?" she pressed, to which Draco admitted he had no idea.

[ ] Ask him for more details about the Vaults and his cousin
[ ] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story

Hermione and company arrive at Potions early - before Professor Slughorn does. There are about 10 minutes left, what does she want to do in that time?

[ ] Talk to Draco
[ ] Chat with other Slytherins
[ ] Chat with Gryffindors
[ ] Go over her textbook, in case there's a pop quiz

Daiki
November 8th, 2018, 03:40 PM
[x] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story.

Not sure how Draco feel abouts Tonks here, his "legit" cousins are one thing but the mixed blood?

[x] Chat with other Slytherins.

skulkidcachi90
November 8th, 2018, 04:32 PM
[x] Talk to Draco
[x] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story

Cassius
November 9th, 2018, 08:56 PM
[x] Chat with other Slytherins. [x] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story

alfheimwanderer
November 9th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Draco seems kind of awed by the adventures of Nymphadora Black, and thinks of her almost like a rebellious older sister. She's left quite a legacy.

Online, if people want to discuss.

alfheimwanderer
November 11th, 2018, 07:58 PM
[x] Ask him about something else - the vaults are clearly just a story.
[x] Chat with other Slytherins

100%

Of the other first-year Slytherins, Hermione only really knew Ana Spencer and Matou Shinji, as she'd sat with them on the train. There were a number of other names and faces she'd vaguely recognized, and some which she didn't recognize at all - though she imagined these last few must be Gryffindors, since many of them were clustered around a pair of copper-haired twins. The Noels, she thought they were called.

She hadn't been expecting someone approach her though.

"Hello," Hermione said uncertainly.

"Hello!" the other - a bespectacled blonde said brightly. "I don't think we had a chance to talk last night. Hermione, right?"

"...right," the brunette replied, rather taken off guard. "And you are?"

"Selina Moore, at your service," the blonde answered, dropping into a curtsy. "Did I hear correctly that you were descended from a great potioneer?"

"That's what Professor Slughorn said," Hermione related, which was true. "But who I'm related to doesn't mean much, if I can't do anything myself."

"Wise words," the blonde said approvingly. "Not many understand them, in my experience."

"And what is your experience."

"Oh, I'm an adventurer - I've explored strange and forbidden realms with my brother and his friends," Selina replied.

"And your parents didn't mind?"

"They were often away on...business, and so my brother was often the one taking care of me," the blonde said with a slight smile. "It wasn't too bad - there was always someone around, even if my brothers friends weren't always the smartest."

"Oh?"

"There was once that one of them attacked a gazebo, thinking it was a strange monster."

"...you're kidding."

"I only wish I was," Selina shrugged. "Still beats one of them getting bored and casting a magic missile at the darkness."

"You mean, something in the darkness?" Hermione clarified. "A monster or something?"

"No...just at darkness."

"What."

"That's what I said!"

Hermione found herself mentally reassessing the sanity of wizards and witches, and wondering if many people turned out that way. She'd have to ask Lord Black about what people got off to, she supposed.

Before she could say more though, Professor Slughorn walked in, asking some questions about the properties of things like Wolfsbane and Mandrake, with a few of the students knowing the answers, but some having no idea at all.

"About what I expected," the man said when he finished. "Well, I've worked with worst. Now, I'm not a Ravenclaw, but it has always occurred to me that knowledge is power. Oh, power is power, true, but knowledge all the more so. And in this class, I am here to give you the knowledge you need to tap into the power all around in - the power in nature, in plants, in animals, in very earth. Potions, you see, may not be full of flash and vigor, but it is the most interesting and subtle of the arts. With potions, you can bewitch the mind, cheat death, even..." he produced a vial of golden liquid. "...turn chance into certainty." He paused. "Can anyone name the potion I am holding?"

Of the group, only Draco raised his hand.

"Yes?"

"That is Felix Felicis, sir," the Slytherin boy said respectfully. "Said to be the most difficult potion to brew in the entire world."

"Yes. And do you know what it does?"

"Yes, sir. For a time after you drink it, everything you do will be successful."

There was a stir from the rest of the class as Slughorn nodded.

"Indeed. I expected great things out of you, Mister Malfoy, with who your godfather is and all, and I am glad to see I was not wrong," the man stated. "As an incentive for you to work hard, the top pair in this class at the end of the term will receive one vial of this exquisite brew for you to do as you wish." He chuckled as he pocketed the potion. "Of course, it takes a long time before one learns to brew on that level, so this week, we are learning to brew something simple - the Wiggenweld potion, which can heal you of minor injuries or awaken you from magical sleep." He smiled slightly. "After all, it may come to pass that you injure yourself, and you wouldn't want to go to the infirmary for every little thing. For today, form pairs and do a bit of reading - you'll want to know what you're getting into before you begin brewing."

With that he dismissed them to go and get to the work of forming pairs.

"Oh, not you, Mister Malfoy - you already know this potion," the older man stated, cutting the boy off as he was about to ask Hermione if she wanted to work together. "So I'd like you to help me brew enough sleeping potion for the class, so we can test everyone's Wiggenwelds at the end of the week."

"...yes, sir," Draco replied softly.

"Well, don't just stand there. I want to see people talking, books open, and the like. Be creative and don't be afraid to ask for help - you're making a healing potion, and I'd rather not have to answer uncomfortable questions from Madam Pomfrey about why we had to send someone to St. Mungo's, hm?"

How does Hermione approach working with Ana Spencer?

[ ] Asking what the other suggests
[ ] Aggressively, since she's read the book and knows what to do
[ ] (write-in)

And the next class is Herbology with Ravenclaw - who does Hermione wish to work with?

[ ] Draco
[ ] Ana
[ ] Selina
[ ] One of the Ravenclaws
[ ] (write-in)

Daiki
November 11th, 2018, 08:34 PM
[X] Asking what the other suggests

Fine. But still, Library!

[x] Selina.

She seems sane compared to other wizards.

Skull Leader
November 11th, 2018, 09:39 PM
[X] Asking what the other suggests

Library would be my first pick if this was anyone other than Hermione. Her personality is not going to consider another source as valid if it conflicts with the class approved book. If we want her to change from this then we need to get her more open, which I think Ana has the best bet here since she is far more knowledgeable about the wizard world.

[X] One of the Ravenclaws

Really any of the choices work for me for this one but given that this is like the one class that Hermione will share with ravenclaw it is a rare oppertunity for Hermione to interact with Ravenclaws on any real level.

Cassius
November 12th, 2018, 10:44 PM
[X] Asking what the other suggests [x] Draco

alfheimwanderer
November 13th, 2018, 12:09 AM
No agreement on who to work with, I see.

Daiki
November 13th, 2018, 05:47 AM
Swap for [x] One of the Ravenclaws.

Let's move forward.

alfheimwanderer
November 13th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Method: [x] Asking what the other suggests
Herbology: [X] One of the Ravenclaws

100%

If she was being perfectly honest, Hermione Granger would have preferred working with Draco, since he was such a friendly boy, but since he wasn't an option, she supposed the best option was Ana Spencer, assuming she wasn't going to spend time with that mysterious, brooding boy from the east. But it appeared that the brooding boy's attention had been caught by the pretty, spritely Selina in a way that boys had never really noticed her.

'She's prettier than I am,' the girl realized vaguely, though that in and of itself didn't bother her. It was the fact that Selina, as an explorer of long-forgotten realms, who had grown up with magic, might actually be more knowledgeable than her about...things. For as long as she remembered, she'd always been the smart one - the knowledgeable one - the one who knew more than others. Even if it had hurt to be teased for being a know-it-all or a bookworm, she'd worn considered being the bright one as a point of pride.

...except now, she was not only plain, but no longer the cleverest or most knowledgeable person in the room. Keeping that in mind, she made her way over to Ana, who was looking her way, as if the other girl had expected this turn of events.

"W-would you want to work together?" Hermione asked, before she lost her nerve.

"I wouldn't mind," Ana Spencer said with an appraising look. "You've read all the books for the year, you said?" she questioned.

"I have," Hermione confirmed, but was confused. "Why do you ask?"

"Because just following the instructions won't lead to the best potion."

"B-but why? It's in the book, isn't it? Professor Slughorn assigned us that book for a reason!" Hermione sputtered.

"Yes, and the reason is that the book is good for people new to potions - it simplifies things so first-years and others new to potions can understand them, just like Muggle textbooks tell us that the sky is blue because of refraction," Ana explained, glancing over at where Draco was cracking open a tome that was decidedly not Magical Drafts and Potions.

"...it...it's not refraction?" Hermione asked uneasily. "But all the books..."

"It's a convenient explanation that works well enough for what you know," Ana pressed. "You've seen light bend when it passes through through a prism or a glass of water, so it makes sense to you. It's wrong - but explaining what is actually happening would be too much for what you know."

"Huh?"

"Well, here's another thing - what color is the sky at night?" Ana questioned. "Let's say...when the moon is out?"

"It's black," Hermione answered, perplexed that the other girl was asking her such a thing - then wondering if that was the point - if the answer she knew so well wrong. "...isn't it?"

"No, it's blue."

"But that's--"

"Have you walked into a room at night before, where the colors seem muted because there's not enough light? Or has something colorful in the day - like a car - ever seemed not so colorful at night?"

Hermione nodded slowly. She did indeed remember such a thing - the refrigerator at her parents' house was a garish shade of yellow - yet by night, it seemed more a pale grey than anything else.

"And did the actual color change?" Ana asked reasonably.

Hermione shook her head. It just looked--

'Oh....'

And then it hit her what the other girl was talking about.

"The true color of the car doesn't change, so why would the color of the sky?" Ana asked reasonably.

"...oh," Hermione repeated. It was the only thing she could say, as her eyes widened. She'd...she'd never made that connection before. "Is it just...too dark for us to see the real color?"

"That's right," Ana said warmly. "Now, I don't mind if you want to read through the basics again, if you're not up for the challenge of reading something new..."

"No!" Hermione exclaimed, almost insulted by the insinuation that she might not be smart enough to understand a new book. "I mean, no, of course I don't mind looking at something new. I want to know the truth, not just what's convenient!"

"I thought not," Ana remarked, the corners of her lips pulling upwards into a thin smile as she produced another book titled Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle! "In that case, I think this book is a good place to start. Take it - I've memorized it already."

Hermione blinked.

"What. But why?"

"Well, you know, just as muggles like to drink now and again, so do wizards - so this book has some helpful recipes for things that will get people up and moving again after a night of revels. There are more ways to put someone to sleep than just the sleeping draught, after all."

"Oh."

"So, let's look though the recipe and compare it to the one in our textbook, and then afterwards, we can go to the library to see why there might be differences. Will that work for you?"

"...yes."

Gained a copy of Have Yourself a Fiesta in a Bottle!!!

After her experience in Potions, Hermione thought it would be good to work with a different group of people in Herbology, since while she appreciated the gift of a book from Ana, she was feeling rather sore about her lack of knowledge of the world being rubbed in her face. Of course, if Ravenclaw was the house of the knowledgeable - she might be making a mistake, but it couldn't hurt to try working with someone who was obviously not from here.

Someone like the purple-haired...what had people called her...metamorphmagus? Then again, Draco would probably be upset, since he'd seemed sore about this Sokaris pulling away his old friends and acquaintances.

If not her though, who?

[ ] Sialim Sokaris
[ ] A Chinese girl who reminded her of someone she used to know
[ ] One of the Indian Twins (are there twins in every house?!)
[ ] Pansy Parkinson, who Draco pointed out as being one of the "defectors"
[ ] (write-in)

Daiki
November 13th, 2018, 03:31 PM
I don't mind which is it is as long as we don't alienate Draco, really.

[x] One of the Indian Twins.

skulkidcachi90
November 13th, 2018, 07:12 PM
[ ] Pansy Parkinson, who Draco pointed out as being one of the "defectors"

Cassius
November 14th, 2018, 07:20 PM
[x] One of the Indian Twins.

alfheimwanderer
November 15th, 2018, 02:09 AM
[x] One of the Indian Twins.

100%

With some uncertainty as to whether she was making the right decision, Hermione decided that she should approach someone new. After all, so far she hadn't made a fool of herself, and since Professor Sprout was asking students to work in groups of three, it would be rude of her if she left Draco without someone to work with. Better for him to get along with say - Ana and Shinji - while she herself went to meet one of the Ravenclaws. Maybe one of the Indian twins - she'd never really worked with twins before, and was curious if they could really complete their other sentences and the like, as they could in books sometimes.

"Hello, I'm Hermione," she greeted.

"Hullo," the twins chorused.

"I'm Padma," one of them said.

"And I'm Parvati," the other noted. "You want to work with us?"

"I thought it would be nice to meet new people," Hermione replied with a shy smile. "And I've never talked to twins before..."

"You're just curious if we can--"

"--finish each other's sentences?" the two spoke, trading off halves of their sentence.

"..you did that on purpose."

"Yes we did," Parvati acknowledged with a twinkle in her eye. "But that's what people expect. The Padma and Parvati show, isn't that right, Padma?"

Padma just sighed.

"You were the one who decided to go to the same House as me," she said, rolling her eyes. "What happened to going to trying something different?"

"...what, like Gryffindor? It's mostly boys there," Parvati answered, wrinkling her nose.

"Why not Slytherin?" Hermione asked curiously.

"I didn't want to live under the lake," Parvati replied. "It would feel strange to see fish swimming by the window. Need to breathe sometimes, you know, see the sun."

"...what's Ravenclaw Tower like?" Hermione wondered.

The twins shared a look, with Padma speaking up hesitantly.

"Bright."

"Airy," Parvati added. "A lot of light."

"You can hear the wind every night, like a lullaby when you want to sleep."

"Or when you want to study," Parvati chimed in, with Padma shooting her a look.

"Ah," Hermione noted, blinking. "Is it true you have to answer a riddle every time you want to go in?"

"Oh. Yes," Padma answered. "A different one each time too. You just use a password?"

The three chatted amiably about these things and more as they learned the rules of Herbology, why certain safety equipment was necessary, and practiced potting some more mundane plants. A dirty, somewhat grubby job, but relaxing, nevertheless, as first sessions should be.

DADA however, would not be quite as...relaxing, given that Professor Quirrell has announced that every student will be going through a scenario to test their skills - and wits. Of course, to make things easier, they will be allowed to work in pairs.

Who does Hermione wish to work with?

[ ] Draco
[ ] Shinji
[ ] Ana
[ ] One of the Twins
[ ] (someone random)

Daiki
November 15th, 2018, 03:01 AM
[x] Draco.

skulkidcachi90
November 15th, 2018, 05:39 AM
[ ] Draco

Cassius
November 15th, 2018, 12:13 PM
[x] Draco.

alfheimwanderer
November 15th, 2018, 12:51 PM
DADA Scenario Start:When Hermione Granger opened his eyes, she found herself laying on cold stone, with only a thin shift keeping the rough material of the floor from chafing her skin. Her arms were bound, there was a foul-tasting gag wrapped around his mouth, and the only light she could see - from the cracks around where a blindfold had been rather inexpertly fastened - came from a few black candles placed around her.

With every movement, liquid agony shot through her limbs, across her chest, down her spine.

She was hungry, intensely so, and in the back of her mind, there were whispers.

Whispers that everything could feel better soon.

Everything.

All she had to do was let go, close her eyes, forget her name...

The pain would fade. Her limbs would heal. Her head would cease to throb.

Yes...all she had to do was surrender, succumb to the sweet embrace of--

'No. No. NO!'

It was a trap. It had to be a trap, the sort evil wizards gave to heroes in the stories.

'Where am I?' she wondered. She tried to stand, but found that she could not - her legs had been tied together, and they were numb. 'What...happened?'

Everything was so...fuzzy, so unclear. She could hardly concentrate at all. Was this...could this be somewhere at Hogwarts? It was a castle, certainly but...

'Draco, where's Draco?'

He'd been beside her then, but he wasn't here now.

She asked in vain though, as nothing answered him. No voice. No words in the air. No conveniently placed note. No. Wait, there was something - a growl? Maybe? She thought she heard something, but it was gone a moment later.

'I have to get out of here.' Hermione was certain of that much, though how she was going to do so stripped to her underwear, with no wand, or knife, or anything, save her wits, he has absolutely no idea. 'At the very least, I have to get up,' she thinks, though after a few minutes of continuous effort, all she managed to do so was raise herself to a sitting position, with the blindfold slipping off in her struggling.

What's is her next move?

[ ] Try to get gag off - the fumes are making it hard to think
[ ] Scream for help
[ ] Use the candles to burn the rope
[ ] Sit still and wait for rescue
[ ] (write-in)

skulkidcachi90
November 15th, 2018, 04:08 PM
[ ] Try to get gag off - the fumes are making it hard to think

Skull Leader
November 16th, 2018, 03:48 AM
Sit still and wait for rescue

Hahaha. Yes Hermione wait until someone saves you, after all a teacher or a magical policemen have to be around to save you. Sigh, Hermione...I am at lost with words something with ya.

Seriously now.

[X] Use the candles to burn the rope

She is tied up so getting the gag off is nearly impossile without her hands. And since she is gagged screaming is mostly useless. So that leaves us to the option that at least might get her hands free so she can remove the gag.

alfheimwanderer
November 16th, 2018, 12:08 PM
If you were curious as to who else had been paired up, some of them are:

The Noel Twins
The Patil Twins
Selina Moore & Matou Shinji
Ana Spencer & Pansy Parkinson
Natsumi Suzuki & Nigel Wroxton
Sokaris & Daphne Greengrass
Ron Weasley & Ernie Macmillan

Daiki
November 16th, 2018, 06:59 PM
[x] Use the candles to burn the rope.

Let's at least try to do better than with Shinji, this time.

Cassius
November 16th, 2018, 07:21 PM
[X] Use the candles to burn the rope

alfheimwanderer
November 16th, 2018, 11:20 PM
[x] Use the candles to burn the rope.

100%

Hermione Granger struggled and struggled and struggled - yet nothing she did seemed to work. With her legs bound together and her arms bound behind her, she could neither get the gag off nor use her arms as leverage to prop herself up. She was only rolling about on the floor - her hair had nearly caught fire at one point, a prospect which terrified her to no end. No matter what she did, nothing worked, nothing. Nothing.

What did the books say about a situation like this?

...she couldn't remember, but then maybe she'd just never read about what to do if she was kidnapped. If she was lost, she was supposed to sit still and wait for rescue, but this wasn't anything quite so innocuous.

Her body began to shake as her imagination - always a powerful thing - conjured up images of why she was here, in this dark room. Perhaps she was going to be a virgin sacrifice, her blood spilled in a ritual to give a devil-worshipper power. Maybe she was being held for ransom - her parents were dentists, and her aunt did work for the government, though she didn't know why anyone would want to threaten a sign-language interpreter.

Her aunt.

She'd said something about kidnapping - or at least, Hermione thought she had said something about this.

'...she told me to escape. That I should get out, so I could be in control.'

...to do that, she'd need to get up, which meant...

'I have to cut the rope.'

...or in this case, burn it with the flames from the candles. The prospect of fire being anywhere near her made her nervous, but she forced down her fear and, looking backward, held the rope over the purple-black flames.

The rope didn't catch fire - not exactly. Where the flames touched the rope, the rope melted, dissolved almost. The girl didn't know how that was possible, but she wasn't about to ask too many questions, as she snatched up the black candle, and used it to melt the ropes binding her legs.

She was free!

In her exultation, she stood up, only to stumble and fall flat on her face, as her legs had been deprived of circulation for quite some time.

'Ow...'

She just lay there for a few minutes, before remembering to pull off the gag, with the air tasting so sweet, like honey. When she was relatively certain she wouldn't stumble again, she gingerly rose to her feet once more, using the dark candle to look around the room.

There was little here.

A chest of some kind against a wall, and...a door? Padding over to it, she leaned against it, and to her surprise, it swung open, revealing to her...

'The Defense Classroom?'

At night, at that, with moonlight streaming through a gaping hole in the castle wall, and broken pieces of furniture - and splatters of something oddly glistening - all about.
What was going on here?

The door to the classroom was...half-open, and from the hallway, she heard something like a growl and the scampering of feet, skittering by.

Looking around, she can see a few things that might be useful.

A wand, still clutched in a black...oh god, was that a severed hand?

A silver blade glowing faintly blue in the darkness.

A length of rope hanging from a nail on the wall.

A crystal flute on the desk.

She could grab...something, and go out into the hall. She could try to climb down using the rope. Or...maybe she could just close the door and wait?

What does she do next?

[ ] (write-in)

Daiki
November 17th, 2018, 12:48 AM
[X] Take the gag and wrap/tie around one of your wrist and tuck the flute inside it. And then grab the blade and hold it in you hand, and go into the hall once the footsteps have gone away.

Not a bad plan, let's go with that.

Skull Leader
November 17th, 2018, 04:15 PM
One Hermione is new to the wizard world and thus does not reallly know any spells, IE grabbing the wand that may or may not work for her (cause wands CHOICE their wielder) is not likely going to help here. The wand is the trap pick, every pureblood wizard will want to grab it cause its the tool of choice for them yet failing to realize that it does nothing unless you KNOW how to use it.

Plus the whatever was making the noise outside moved past the door so its not coming into the room. So waste of time hiding behind the door until someone comes in. And when they do come in, what then? Do you attack them? Why do that when you can slip past them at that door and get away.

She has read books so I think she might understand this blade that glows. Hopefully. Thought the other option I like is her grabbing the flute and maybe using it like a bard and calming creatures we run across. But that is way more risking in that it relies on way too many assumptions.

[X] Take the gag and wrap/tie around one of your wrist and tuck the flute inside it. And then grab the blade and hold it in you hand, and go into the hall once the footsteps have gone away.

Bam, now go find our Prince (Draco) and get out of here.

Daiki
November 17th, 2018, 07:37 PM
I would still like to pocket the wand if possible, because Hermione's trump card would be those three spells she learned early. If not using them now, when? However, I would like to prioritize the flute first and foremost, since it is the one odd item that stands out the most.

alfheimwanderer
November 17th, 2018, 08:41 PM
[X] Take the gag and wrap/tie around one of your wrist and tuck the flute inside it. And then grab the blade and hold it in you hand, and go into the hall once the footsteps have gone away.


100%
As it turns out, trying to strap a flute to one's arm wasn't not the easiest thing in the world, especially when the flute was longer than one's forearm, and the ends of the leather gag didn't make for a very good harness. Indeed, Hermione almost said some...unkind things, before she remembered that something was out there. Something that had...that had...


She refused to think about it.


To let her mind dwell on what might have transpired here, to give herself a moment's pause, because she knew if she did, she'd freeze up. Hermione Granger was a girl who thought about things quite a bit, after all - who frankly, overthought things, according to people she had once known.

Which was why, after grabbing some rope and using it to finish securing the flute, grimacing at how rough the rope was and how cold the crystal of the instrument, she picked up the sword - not the wand - with a grunt of effort.

'It's heavy.'

And what's more, the silvery blade had ceased glowing. Was that a good thing? A bad thing? The only thing she'd ever read which dealt with glowing swords was...

The Hobbit.

In which the dagger wielded by Bilbo Baggins glowed if enemies were near.

...had the Professor read the same book, or--

'I'm getting distracted. Focus, Hermione. Focus. You have to get out of here.'

Listening as best she could for any sounds in the hallway - and hearing none - the girl stepped through the half-open door...and nearly threw up.

The hallway was a scene of carnage.

Fresh paint...no, that wasn't paint on the walls. That was...that was...

Blood.

So much blood.

Scattered here and there were clumps of black and--

Oh god.

Heads.

Severed heads with empty eyes, battered, smashed, crumpled.

Parts here. Parts there.

Oh god. Oh god. Oh god...

Her footsteps squelched in a crimson pool, as her breaths came faster, faster, faster, and she--

Aroougggggg...

And all of the sudden, her sword blazed with blue fire as part of the ceiling caved in behind her, and with a tremendous crash, something fell, splashing her with gore, the scent of something rank in her nostrils as...

TROLL.

With only a moment to act, what will she do?

[ ] Get back into the classroom - it won't be able to follow
[ ] RUN - drop the sword and run to the stairs as if her life depended on it (which it did)
[ ] RUN - carrying the sword - as she makes for the stairs
[ ] Try to stab the troll in the eye

[ ] (write-in)

Skull Leader
November 18th, 2018, 06:30 PM
[X] RUN - carrying the sword - as she makes for the stairs

Daiki
November 18th, 2018, 08:11 PM
[x] RUN - carrying the sword - as she makes for the stairs

Will stick with Sting for a bit.

Cassius
November 18th, 2018, 09:49 PM
If we drop the sword we can run and try to use the flute (having it in our hands would make it less likely to drop while running and running with the flute in the gag and the sword in hand would be a potential issue)

alfheimwanderer
November 18th, 2018, 10:33 PM
[X] RUN - carrying the sword - as she makes for the stairs

100%

With desperation-granted speed, the girl ran. There was no way - no possible way - she could fight a troll. No way. None at all. It was only luck that the troll had been stunned from its fall and wasn't chasing her already. The moment it recovered - the moment it came after her, whatever lead she managed to acquire would vanish, since...she was small, and it was...

Big. So very big.

3 meters tall at least. Hairy. And its...

Behind her, there was a thump.

Was this it? Was the troll getting up, or--

"AIEEEGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

...the girl froze as an inhuman scream rent the air, horrible in a way she'd ever heard before, as the sword in her hand blazed once more, and despite every one of her instincts telling her not to look back...she did, with three pairs of golden eyes staring back at her from three fierce-looking heads.

Heads filled with razor-sharp teeth, stained red with blood.

'...Cerberus...'

The name came unbidden to her mind - the name of the gatekeeper of the underworld in Greek Myth. She...

She took a step backward...

She...

It took a step forward, its attention seemingly drawn by the light of her sword as it growled menacingly. Was this...was this what had torn apart these people? Was this...

'What do I do? What do I do?'

She thought she remembered something about Orpheus pacifying Cerberus somehow. How had he done it again? Had he beat it, or...?

'Music?

That sounded right. He'd lulled it to sleep with song. That...sounded like something could do. Maybe. Except for one problem.

All she had was a flute, and she had no idea how to play a flute.

What does Hermione do?

[ ] Try playing the flute anyway - how hard could it be
[ ] Sing - she knows a few songs like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star
[ ] Scream - maybe someone will come for help
[ ] Drop the sword and run
[ ] Grab a bloody limb and throw it at the dog - then run
[ ] (write-in)

Daiki
November 18th, 2018, 11:22 PM
[x] Try playing the flute anyway - how hard could it be.

Skull Leader
November 18th, 2018, 11:35 PM
[X] Sing - she knows a few songs like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

The flute could work if she knew how to play, best try the easier option first. If nothing else the Flute can be a stick it can go retrieve.

Cassius
November 19th, 2018, 07:44 AM
[X] Sing - she knows a few songs like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

Daiki
November 19th, 2018, 10:52 AM
I think she has a better shot at using the flute than singing, since she's terrified.

Even if the sound isn't the best, the doge is more likely to recognize an instrument playing than following the tune of an unknown girl.

alfheimwanderer
November 19th, 2018, 11:27 PM
[X] Sing - she knows a few songs like Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star

100%

Then again, did it matter if she didn't know how to play? Orpheus...he hadn't played a flute. He'd sung, with his voice moving the gatekeeper of the underworld, the ferryman of the underworld - and even Hades, the cold-hearted King of Erebus. Maybe...maybe the flute was a trap. Maybe the answer was to just stand her ground and sing.

And so the girl opened her mouth, only...her throat was dry, and the words....the words wouldn't come, as the three-headed monster came closer, closer, closer still.

"T-twinkle..." she began, only for her voice to fail. "Twinkle," she began again, looking up at the vast mastiff. She found herself trembling as its three heads eyed her hungrily. "Twinkle, twinkle..." she managed softly. "Little star. How I wonder...what you are..."

It padded towards her slowly, drool dripping from its bloody maws as the girl just dropped her sword.

"Up above the world so high..." she barely whispered. "Like a dia--"

A lunge.

Mighty jaws snapped shut, tearing her in two, though mercifully, the moment before they touched her, everything went black.

100%

When she came to, she was standing in the Defense Classroom, with Draco by her side, his face pale, his hand clutched to his chest.

"I'm...I'm alive...?" he whispered, looking around. "I...you..." he growled, as he noticed Quirrell standing before him. "That...that was the scenario?! What was that?! How is anyone supposed to pass that?!"

Hermione was about to add her voice to Draco's, when Quirrell interrupted them. "You are not," the Professor replied. "Expected to pass, that is," he supplied. "And so the question is not if you pass, but how you fail. Did you manage to escape the original room? What did you choose from your selection of tools? How did you react to danger?" He smiled thinly. "You, Mister Malfoy, did admirably enough. You managed to free yourself of your chains, claim a wand, and fight until you were defeated with spells beyond what most first years would know."

"...I still don't see how Hogwarts would have become infested by inferi," Draco growled. The boy was visibly shaking, as he glared at the Professor. "It's supposed to be the safest place in Britain."

"Heh." The Professor only snorted at the boy's words. "Yes, the Headmaster spins a good tale about how safe Hogwarts is, but I'm sure you, of all people are aware of how dangerous it really is. Your cousin was involved with the Cursed Vault incidents, was she not?"

"...that's true," Draco admitted. "But inferi...? Trolls? None of the Vaults..."

"Who knows?" Quirrell asked eloquently. "Perhaps there are more dangers in the school none have discovered. I could have just as easily given you a scenario where students have been ensnared by self-replicating, cursed ice, which absorbs magic. Would that have been any easier...?"

"...no," the blonde admitted. "You're saying there is something in this school which could turn us all into inferi?!"

Quirrell seemed to pause for a moment, before shaking his head.

"...yes, actually. At least one that I know of, as of the beginning of this year," the man said casually, a statement which caused Hermione to freeze. "You can thank the Headmaster for that particular decision. Don't worry though, as there are a great many defenses for it, like oh...several trolls, even a three-headed dog. One simply hopes it never manages to escape its bonds, hm?"

Hermione's eyes were wide in horror.

What she saw...what she saw...if it got loose...

"You mean..."

"That what you saw in the scenario could be real one day?" the man questioned. "Yes, that's right, but hopefully it never comes to that. After all, I'm sure the Headmaster knew what he was doing when he volunteered to keep the item at Hogwarts."

"...the third floor corridor," Hermione stated, terrible certainty in her voice. "It's hidden somewhere in the Forbidden Corridor."

"Perhaps," the man stated. "But don't go after it, please. First, you would have no idea of how to use it. Second...I don't want to feel guilty for the deaths of students."

"What...what item could--"

"I'll tell you what, Miss Granger. If you and Mister Malfoy can tell me what item is hidden there, I'll give Slytherin ten points apiece, hm?"

"...is it something, dark?" Draco hazarded.

"No, and I'll count that as your guess. Miss Granger, you have until the end of the term to figure out what it was that could twist wizards into inferi, without even killing them first." He chuckled. "I will say, you did better than I expected, and under such terrible conditions, under which most would have panicked. In fact, there are many who never made it out of that first room."

"I--"

"I do apologize for not letting you all know it was a test, but if I had, your reactions would not have been genuine," the man said apologetically. "I needed to know how you would react in a worst-case scenario."

"Professor?" Draco interjected. "Did...did anyone pass?"

"Pass? Oh, you mean as in did anyone escape the inferi-ridden Hogwarts and reach safety?" the Professor clarified.

"Yes."

"Oh, so far, only two groups," the man replied.

"Who?" Draco's voice seemed low, almost feverish.

"Miss Suzuki and Mister Wroxton for one. As for the other, well, Miss Greengrass you know, but her partner--"

"Sokaris," Draco all but hissed.

"Indeed. Sialim Sokaris," the Professor confirmed. "Full of surprises, isn't she?"

If looks could kill, Professor Quirrell would have been reduced to ashes by the force of Draco's glare. Fortunate, or unfortunately, they did not live in such a world, and so the Professor survived and Draco did not get sent to Azkaban for murder.

"I trust you will do better next time, Mister Malfoy?"

"Yes. Yes, I swear it," the blonde said with an intensity that Hermione...had only seen from Matou before.

"Good," the Professor noted, a dark chuckle escaping the man's lips. "Let the hate flow through you...let it make you strong."

"...um, but isn't hate an evil thing, Professor?" Hermione found the nerve to ask.

"Ah, Miss Granger, were you not paying attention in class? There is no such thing as good or evil. There is only power, and those too weak to seek it."

After that, Quirrell dismisses them, but Draco is clearly upset by the news that Sokaris somehow passed. Hermione would like to do something to cheer him up, but doesn't really know what, as curfew is drawing near...

[ ] Sign to him as they walk
[ ] Go to the kitchens - maybe they can find something to eat
[ ] Go back to the Common Room and find someone to talk to
[ ] Let Draco go back alone, and talk to the Professor
[ ] (write-in)

Later that night, in their dorm room, Selina has a question for Hermione: "Of Strength, Wisdom, Intelligence, Constitution, Luck, and Dexterity, what do you value most? And what you do value least?

[ ] (write-in)

Daiki
November 20th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Well, went about as good as I thought.

I assume going to the kitchen will trigger an encounter with Sokaris, so no.

[x] Sign to him as they walk

[x] Intelligence (Most)
[x] Luck (Least)

Felix Felicis free route, screw luck. We make our own path.

skulkidcachi90
November 21st, 2018, 02:31 AM
[x] Sign to him as they walk

[x] Intelligence (Most)
[x] Luck (Least)

Skull Leader
November 21st, 2018, 05:41 AM
[x] Sign to him as they walk

Are you guys really going to curse Hermione with bad luck for the year here? She already has a hard enough time with stuff.

[X] INT (most)
[X] CON (least)

Hermione either do not get into combat or try really hard not to get hit.

Cassius
November 21st, 2018, 07:47 AM
[x] Sign to him as they walk

alfheimwanderer
November 21st, 2018, 07:21 PM
[x] Sign to him as they walk
[x] Intelligence (Most)
[x] Luck (Least)

100%

Are you guys really going to curse Hermione with bad luck for the year here? She already has a hard enough time with stuff.

So it seems.

100%

Draco and Hermione sign to one another as they walk, with Draco's signing fast and...agitated, if the bushy-haired brunette is any judge of his emotions (which she acknowledges she might not be). Several times, there were signs that she didn't quite recognize, and at other times the boy signed how he would like to "A" "K" the woman of air and darkness (Sokaris, maybe?), but even if the words were unclear, the overall thrust of it certainly was. The blond felt frustrated, so incredibly frustrated at failing at something...a frustration that Hermione herself shared, since it rankled to get thrown into a situation like that, a situation that was raw and...agonizing.

The feeling of beaten eaten alive by a three-headed dog was not something she ever wanted to repeat, and for all that Professor Quirrell mentioned that it was just way to motivate her to perform to the best of her abilities in the future, something about that rang...false.

"...do you want to come with me to the Black family quarters?" Draco asked after a few minutes of frantic signing. "I could use something to eat, and maybe learn how to beat inferi. At the very least...the twins will be a good distraction. They've been working on a living map of Hogwarts, and I want to see if I can find that Sokaris girl on it."

[ ] Agree - it would be a fine idea to visit the Blacks
[ ] Disagree - its late, and they should go back to Slytherin House
[ ] Disagree - maybe they can go for a walk outside?

"So I see," Selina notes. "So value intelligence, but you do not value luck - is that because you believe you can make your own, or because you have always been lucky?" She pauses for a moment. "And if it is the former, what would you make it with, other than your intelligence? Strength of arms? Slight of hand? Your ability to persevere where others cannot? Skill with words? Or being able to see what others do not?"

Aside from intelligence, what is your most valued attribute? Your...

[ ] Charisma
[ ] Strength
[ ] Dexterity.
[ ] Constitution.
[ ] Wisdom.

Daiki
November 21st, 2018, 07:27 PM
[x] Agree - it would be a fine idea to visit the Blacks
[x] Dexterity

skulkidcachi90
November 21st, 2018, 11:20 PM
[x] Agree - it would be a fine idea to visit the Blacks
[x] Dexterity

alfheimwanderer
November 22nd, 2018, 02:56 PM
[x] Agree - it would be a fine idea to visit the Blacks
[x] Dexterity

100%

It was obviously not the first time that Draco has visited, given that the moment he stepped up to the door, preparing himself to knock, it opened, with the Black twins looking out at their cousin and his companion with eerie expectation.

"Hullo, cousin," the girl - Alkaid - greeted, her pale blue gaze roving over the two of them. "And you are Miss Granger?"

"Y-yes, hello," Hermione replied, with something like a curtsy. "You are Alkaid and Albireo?"

"Yes," the two chorused, with the brunette noting for the first time how one of Albireo's eyes was a bit strange, as if within his blue eyes, there were flecks of gold. "Come in," they said together, stepping aside so Draco and Hermione could do so.

"...just so you know, they're natural legilimens," Draco informed her with a bit of a grimace. "Ordinary children are difficult enough to take care of. These...? They'll run rings around you, if you're not an Occlumens."

"Ah," Hermione voiced. "Good to know."

"Are you?" he asked, some curiosity in his voice. "An Occlumens, that is? Did your...aunt teach you that?"

[ ] Yes (bluff)
[ ] She did not

"I see," Draco replied. "Perhaps you'd like to join me for Occlumency lessons then? My godfather has been helping me with them, since I've been watching his children."

[ ] Agree
[ ] Decline

What will Hermione talk about with Andromeda and Severus Black over dinner?

[ ] Politics
[ ] Religion
[ ] Hogwarts
[ ] Stay quiet, let Draco lead
[ ] (write-in)

Daiki
November 22nd, 2018, 04:57 PM
[x] She did not
[x] Agree
[x] Stay quiet, let Draco lead

Let him feel in control, he needs it. It's also probably not a great idea to stir up the conversation when you're the foreign element here.

Occlumency, if only to have the freedom of your thoughts. Kid legilimens will definitely reveal stuff with the worst timing in the world.

Cassius
November 22nd, 2018, 09:00 PM
[x] She did not [x] Agree [x] Stay quiet, let Draco lead

Skull Leader
November 23rd, 2018, 04:01 AM
[x] She did not
[x] Agree
[x] Stay quiet, let Draco lead

alfheimwanderer
November 23rd, 2018, 06:28 PM
[x] She did not
[x] Agree
[x] Stay quiet, let Draco lead

100%

As it turned out, conversations at the dinner table in a magical world where children could read minds...weren't actually all that different from those in the life she knew. Children talked about what they learned in school, the parents might share some stories of their day or ask questions of guests. Husbands would compliment wives on their cooking (except that in this case, most of the cooking was done by a house elf, so Hermione didn't know how that would go), and the like.

Through it all, the bushy-haired brunette mostly kept to herself, since she was a stranger here, despite how she'd been accepted as a guest.

Things did get a bit awkward when Draco mentioned proudly that she knew Rune Sign Language, with Lord Black giving her an odd look when he heard this.

"You mentioned your Aunt taught it to you?"

"Yes, she works for the government," Hermione answered, guardedly. "In...foreign affairs, I think?"

"Interesting," Lord Black noted. "She has taught you other things, I expect?"

"Oh yes," Hermione agreed, mentioning how her aunt could be somewhat eccentric minded. "How to break codes, for example. It's all a game of numbers, really."

"...it can seem so," Lord Black vocalized, giving the girl a look. "though I hope your aunt instructed you on the value of secrets? Often codes are there for a reason..."

"I...yes," Hermione licked her lips nervously. "Sometimes a secret being exposed can hurt people, but sometimes its necessary, for the greater good."

"An interesting turn of phrase," the man said evenly. "Tell me, have you heard of a wizard by the name of Gellert Grindelwald?"

"...I...no," Hermione replied, with the man nodding.

"You will," Lord Black answered gravely. "Now, Draco mentioned that you are looking forward to Astronomy?"

"Ah, yes! Very much!"

"Being a Black, I have a certain interest in it myself," Andromeda Black cut in. "What about Astronomy do you like?"

Well, what about it does she like?

[ ] The possibility there might be other worlds out there - with life
[ ] The history of how the stars were used in divination
[ ] The fact that Astronomy is the only discipline that looks beyond this pale blue dot we call home
[ ] Because maybe looking at the heavens could lead to new magical breakthroughs
[ ] (write-in)

The Twins, unsurprisingly, also have a question - one that seems quite innocuous...

"Who is this Sokaris girl cousin Draco doesn't like?"

What comes to mind when Hermione thinks of Sokaris?

[ ] A mysterious girl who she would like to know more about
[ ] A Ravenclaw she has no real interest in
[ ] A rival - someone to aspire to beat
[ ] A beauty who captures attention far better than she...
[ ] (write-in)

Desann
November 23rd, 2018, 09:52 PM
[x] The fact that Astronomy is the only discipline that looks beyond this pale blue dot we call home
[x] A mysterious girl who she would like to know more about

Skull Leader
November 24th, 2018, 01:20 AM
[X] Their constant nature in an ever changing world; Connecting generations both past and future by their very presence.

Ok so the sky is not constant without change, but it is basically the same sky since the first of humanity put it foot to the ground. And our descents will look on to that same sky as we do even if the lives they live will be very different. Provided of course that light pollution or normal pollution does not ruin it. Or that ancestors move beyond this point in space where they will see a new arrangement of stars.

I figured that Lady Black might understand or share the awe of it, as her family certainly is connecting its generations with the stars by granting its members the way it does. And while some of the other answers we could pick feel very radical to purebloods in that they suggest throwing away the old to bring in the new, this answer is more a statement that regardless of change their are traditions and constants that will always persist, giving a common ground for all.

Slytherin Hermione certainly needs ambition which is likely change seeking, starting with change for herself and likely growing into change for all. But this view might help balance that trend since she needs to walk a path of the old and new so remembering that which is the same no matter what, might help.

[X] A beauty who captures attention far better than she...

Because I imagine that Draco might stay something amusing her about her looks. As well as it fits an overarcing nature I think this Hermione has in that she seeks a new direction for her life, to be more than she was in her old life.

Cassius
November 24th, 2018, 04:49 PM
[x] The fact that Astronomy is the only discipline that looks beyond this pale blue dot we call home [x] A rival - someone to aspire to beat

Daiki
November 24th, 2018, 05:34 PM
[X] Their constant nature in an ever changing world; Connecting generations both past and future by their very presence.
[x] A foreigner who joined Ravenclaw.

alfheimwanderer
November 24th, 2018, 06:53 PM
Astronomy: [x] The fact that Astronomy is the only discipline that looks beyond this pale blue dot we call home; [X] Their constant nature in an ever changing world; Connecting generations both past and future by their very presence.

100%

"What do I like about it?" Hermione echoed, as Andromeda nodded. The girl was silent for a moment as she marshaled her thoughts. "Well, I suppose that of the disciplines at Hogwarts, this is the only one that looks beyond the pale blue dot we call home."

She remembered a picture she'd seen years ago - Pale Blue Dot (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot) - taken by a distant voyager that was even now being carried away from the solar system. In that picture, the vast world - all of it - from China to Africa, from Britain to Antarctica - all the billions of people in the world - it was a mote of dust in the universe.

It was the first time she'd really thought about how small the world was, how insignificant even the greatest of accomplishments really was, on this lonely speck in the all-enveloping dark.

"Oh, you're interested in the stars then?" Andromeda asked softly.

"Haven't humans always been fascinated by them?" Hermione replied, her eyes full of distant wonder. "Long ago, we used to think the sky was a great canvas, then spheres of nestled glass, surrounding the one world we knew. By the skies we saw portents of the future, found our way at sea...by the stars glittering the dark, we found hope that dawn would come." She paused, a soft smile gracing her lips for the first time. "When I was little, I thought maybe I would one day visit the moon. Or beyond."

"You're poetic, I'll give you that," Lord Black commented, raising an eyebrow. "But you should know there are limits to magic - and that no wizard has managed to go beyond the sky."

"...none at all?" the bushy-haired brunette questioned. "B-but people, I mean Muggles, managed to go to the moon! To send things far beyond!"

"Yes," Lord Black acknowledged, a shadow crossing his face as he shook his head. "But there are things Muggles can accomplish through working together we cannot. We may have far more potential as individuals, with each of us gifted with magic, but they have their own gifts." He smiled very thinly. "It was not wizards who created the Hogwarts Express, after all."

"I-it wasn't?" Draco asked, taken aback. "You can't mean...Muggles made something we all use? Why don't we apparate, or take a Portkey." He paused. "Or Floo."

"All these were tried," Lord Black said with little amusement. "But the Headmasters of Hogwarts do not wish to connect the Castle to the Floo Network, Apparition has limits on how far even a talented individual can travel with it, and no one wishes to go back to the days when the Hospital Wing was overflowing with students suffering from Portkey Sickness."

"Children are more susceptible to Portkey Sickness," Albireo added, with his father nodding.

"Quite so," Lord Black agreed.

"Why didn't we make our own train then?" Draco inquired, his voice sounding somewhat odd.

"How many wizards do you know, Draco, who understand such things?" the History Professor asked, a question for a question.

"...I see," Draco grunted. "But...why would Muggles know something we don't?"

"Because there are more muggles in London than there wizards in all of Britain, Draco," Lord Black replied. "Would you care to guess how many? Let us say there are ten thousand wizards in Britain."

The Malfoy scion blinked, not being used to such numbers.

"...eleven thousand?" Draco hazarded, only for young Alkaid to speak up.

"Higher, cousin."

The boy paused for a moment, pursing his lips in thought. Perhaps twelve...no, that was probably too low. He would guess high, impress his godfather with how much he knew.

"Fifteen thousand," he said proudly.

"Higher."

"...twenty thousand?"

"Seven million," Lord Black replied. "A million being a thousand times a thousand."

"...what?!"

Draco Malfoy couldn't help himself. Numbers like that...

"No...that's not possible," he whispered. "There can't...there can't possibly be that many Muggles in the world!"

"There aren't," Lord Black allowed, with Draco about to breathe a sigh of relief before he continued. "There are more. 5.4 billion."

"A billion is a thousand times a million, cousin," young Alkaid helpfully supplied. "In other words, the number of muggles in the world is five hundred forty thousand times the number of wizards in Britain."

"Merlin's beard..."

Hearing these numbers, Draco went very, very pale.

"Dear, I think you are scaring our nephew," Andromeda said, giving her husband a look.

"Ah," the man replied, his expression tight. "That was...not my intention, Draco. I simply wished to explain the scale on which Muggles work, and why things like the Hogwarts Express are commonplace to them, with thousands upon thousands of such engines in the world. Speaking of which, I still believe it would be wise for you to visit Durmstrang for a year. Or Beauxbatons."

"I...I wouldn't mind that, but--"

"Yes, I know. I...we," Lord Black said, glancing at Andromeda, "will speak with your mother. It needn't be immediately, but at the least, after your OWLs..."

"I'll think about that, sir."

"As you should," Severus Black intoned, turning to Hermione. "If you wish to know about the various exchange programs Hogwarts offers, I will certainly explain what is needed for those, Miss Granger. Otherwise, I encourage you to travel, if you can."

"My family does go to Europe every summer," the brunette replied, with Snape nodding approvingly.

"Would that more did so," the man murmured. He glanced at one of his children. "Yes, Albireo?"

"I had a question for Miss Granger," the young boy spoke up. "Who is this Sokaris girl cousin Draco doesn't like?"

The sudden change in topic threw her for a loop.

What could she say about the purple-haired girl, after all? That she was a rival? She was and she wasn't - being a rival implied that Sokaris cared how Hermione or others did, and Hermione had the impression that nothing they did really mattered to the Ravenclaw. That she was a foreigner who joined Ravenclaw? This was true, but it felt...lacking. That the purple-haired girl made her jealous with how beautiful she was, how easily she drew the attention of others, how confident she was - and how others admired her for her intelligence, as few had ever done for Hermione Granger.

How could she--

"I see," young Albireo noted, his voice cutting off her train of thought. "Thank you. Though, why are you jealous of her?"

"Albireo Black," Andromeda intoned. "What have I said about reading the minds of guests at the dinner table?"

"...that I shouldn't let you catch me at it?" the dour little boy replied.

"And?"

"...that's its rude, mother," Albireo sighed. "I apologize, mother."

"Don't apologize to me," Andromeda corrected. "Apologize to Miss Granger."

Albiero bowed stiffly.

"Apologies, Miss Granger. My thirst for knowledge exceeded my good sense."

"Um...that's fine, I guess," Hermione said awkwardly. "I was--that is, I might have, I was thinking about, I..."

"You shouldn't be jealous, Hermione," Draco cut in. "You're certainly more upstanding than Parkinson, who is so very vain about what little beauty she has. Besides, brown hair is much nicer than purple, isn't it?""...that wasn't what you said to our big sister the last time you were here," Alkaid pointed out slyly, with Draco's face reddening.

"W-well, that was then and this is now!" the boy sputtered.

"Are you sure it isn't because Miss Granger has brown hair?" Albireo asked.

Draco took a drink of water and - sadly - began coughing, as if it had gone down the wrong way, with Andromeda going off to help him.

"...cousin Draco does that every time too," Alkaid said sagely. "He must think we don't know he does it on purpose."

Back at Slytherin, Hermione and Draco come across Selina drawing what looks like a map, with a number of annotations, and books scattered around her. Ana is sitting by the fire, strumming an instrument not unlike a guitar as quills dance in front of her. And Shinji is reading a book about gemstones and runes, while eating...what looks like a bowl of noodles, that wasn't anything Hogwarts normally serves.

[ ] Approach them, ask Selina what she is working on
[ ] Approach them, ask about the dancing quills
[ ] Approach them, ask where Shinji got the food
[ ] Leave them alone, they're obviously busy

Daiki
November 24th, 2018, 11:38 PM
[x] Approach them, ask where Shinji got the food.

Runes!

alfheimwanderer
November 25th, 2018, 01:01 AM
Haha, so excited about the runes.

skulkidcachi90
November 25th, 2018, 08:58 AM
[ ] Approach them, ask Selina what she is working on

Cassius
November 25th, 2018, 01:31 PM
[x] Approach them, ask about the dancing quills

Skull Leader
November 25th, 2018, 11:35 PM
[X] Approach them, ask where Shinji got the food

alfheimwanderer
November 26th, 2018, 03:19 AM
[x] Approach them, ask where Shinji got the food

100%

The three don't really seem to notice as she walks over, caught up in their own activities as they are. As Hermione gets closer, she can see that at least one of the books around Selina is Hogwarts: A History, though the others are not familiar to her. Oddly, she seems to be sketching out part of the school for a map, though why she'd need one, Hermione couldn't even begin to ask.

Ana was playing on a strange instrument with her eyes closed, and surely not particularly paying attention to her.

And Matou...well, he was reading something esoteric about carving runes into gems, though Hermione thought that would be difficult, considering how small many gems were. If he managed to find a bit one...well, that kind of magic would get very expensive very quickly she imagined. Still, since he was reading as he ate, she thought he wouldn't mind a question or two.

"Hullo," she said as she reached his side.

The boy kept reading for a good ten seconds longer, enough that she was about to walk off, thinking he hadn't heard her, before finally answering.

"Hullo," Matou replied. "Something you need?"

Thinking it was rude to ask about the book he was reading, and thus seem too much like a nosy bookworm, she thought it might be safe to ask about the bowl of noodles in front of him.

"Oh. Where did you get noodles?" she inquired.

"Just called a house elf," the boy answered, "there are enough of them at Hogwarts."

"House elf?"

"Yes. They do all sorts of chores, like clean up, make dinner, laundry," he smiled slightly. "Ana told me how to call one, so I didn't have to visit the kitchens."

"Huh." She glanced over at the girl to find that Ana had finished her song, with the quills falling back to gentle repose as the music faded. Draco had approached Ana, it seemed and had been waiting for her to say something.

"That's because with a three-headed dog at Hogwarts, grandfather believed I needed a hobby to keep me safe," Ana was saying with a winsome smile.

Wait.

"...did you say a three-headed dog?" the brunette asked by way of confirmation.

"I did," Ana confirmed. "Probably guarding some item the Headmaster hasn't seen ft to mention to us. Though I have they have other defenses, as They will fall asleep to a good tune though. Not Matou, however."

"It's easier to concentrate when you're playing," the Japanese boy said calmly. "Could you keep going? I'd like to finish this before I go to bed."

"Very well."

How will Hermione approach Flying Lessons on the morrow?

[ ] With respect for the dangers of flying
[ ] Try to outperform everyone else
[ ] Minimum effort - there are other classes more worth her time
[ ] With enthusiasm
[ ] (write-in)

skulkidcachi90
November 26th, 2018, 11:41 AM
[ ] With enthusiasm

Cassius
November 27th, 2018, 11:52 AM
[x] With respect for the dangers of flying

Skull Leader
November 27th, 2018, 07:40 PM
[X] With enthusiasm

Considering that we made this Hermione love the stars, I can see her being really really wanting to take this class to better reach them. Maybe she is good on a broom or maybe not but I think that the Flying aspect at night with the stars would override any sense of danger or lack of caring for the class. But I don't think the Hermione should try to outperform everyone, especially given the fact that unlike others she has never been on a broom. And I think Hermione has realized by now the gap between where she current is and where some of the people around her are at.

Daiki
November 27th, 2018, 08:17 PM
[x] With enthusiasm

alfheimwanderer
November 28th, 2018, 12:04 AM
[x] With enthusiasm

100%

Hermione Granger looked around at the others standing with their broomsticks with more than a little trepidation and embarrassment. It was true, she told herself, learning to fly was the first step towards reaching the stars (even if no wizard had ever gone beyond the atmosphere), but she'd always imagined that what carried her into the heavens would be a little...sturdier than a broom.

...that and she'd always hear things about how only naughty girls put brooms between their legs. Not that she could see why - it didn't seem very comfortable, given how thin they were. She only hoped that they wouldn't make her knickers ride up under her robes - that could get quite uncomfortable very quickly.

And was there an ointment or something she should be using?

She felt so...uninformed, so ignorant - it was so unlike her.

The feeling only got worse when she called her broom, yet it wouldn't come to her hand. True, half the class had that problem the first time around, but that made her...worse than average at this, and she hated being worse than average.

'At least Matou didn't get it his first time,' she thought before catching herself and feeling guilty for it. She shouldn't be happy someone else wasn't doing well. She shouldn't.

It was just...Draco's broom listened to him. Ana's and Selina's did as well, like most of Slytherin, except her and Matou. Most of the ones who proved incapable were Gryffindors, something Draco explained as most of them lacking in wit or ambition - though what did that make her?

'I can't fail...I can't!' she thought, terrified out of her mind that she would fail again.

And so, distracted, she was unable to call the broom to her hand once more.

Again and again, she tried, and on her fourth and final attempt, she succeeded - noting to her relief that she wasn't quite the last one, that Matou was still unable to get his broom into his hand.

"Don't worry," Selina offered. "It happens to lots of boys on their first time."

Hermione nodded slowly, but was surprised to see Matou flush violently.

Did that...did those words mean something besides the obvious?

"Know that from experience, do you?" one of the Gryffindors - a boy she didn't recognize - called out, with some of the boys snickering at his words.

Selina, oddly, didn't seem to get angry at this, choosing not to say anything as Madam Hooch had them mount up.

Looking back, Hermione would always wonder if the accident that happened shortly after, where Selina lost control of her broomstick, causing the broom to shoot out from under her, with the tip of the handle slamming into the boy's crotch, was really an accident, though she was afraid to ask - because she didn't really want to know.

While Madam Hooch is escorting the boy - Dean Thomas - to the Hospital Wing, who will Hermione pair up with for flying exercises?

[ ] Matou Shinji
[ ] Ana Spencer
[ ] Selina Moore
[ ] Draco
[ ] A Gryffindor

For the weekend, there are a few possible things for her to do. (choose two)

[ ] Read in the Library
[ ] Help Watch the Black Children while the parents are at Hogsmeade
[ ] Join Selina on an "adventure"
[ ] Look for a Club
[ ] (write-in)

skulkidcachi90
November 28th, 2018, 01:10 AM
[ ] Draco
[ ] Help Watch the Black Children while the parents are at Hogsmeade
[ ] Join Selina on an "adventure"

Daiki
November 28th, 2018, 02:21 AM
[x] Draco

He clearly knows what he is doing.

Selina creating a brand new move, the crotch dive.

[x] Help Watch the Black Children while the parents are at Hogsmeade.
[x] Write In: Gather Draco, Selina, Ana and Shinji and suggest to create your own unofficial club.

Here I want Hermione to help the Slytherins have some fun together. I notice that each of them so far as been doing stuff in their own corner rather than openly interact. Slytherin isn't heavy on getting along, as long as there's no conflict in front of other houses. Its all fine and dandy but maybe we can spice things up a bit.

What I suggest here is not to necessarily have everyone becoming friends. But using a give and take approach, they could organize themselves so that they can improve faster. Things like group study (homework or new disciplines), a project in common, regular dares & challenges, knowledge & items trade, etc.. You could try to outwit your fellow member, maybe becoming yourself an extra hurdle when they attempt something so the other has to work around that unexpected added layer. That kind of stuff. Anything that helps your fellow Slytherin wise up while also improving your own situation / status, really.

See who ends up on top at the end of each year - with like a reward (which the losers would provide) for the winner.

If possible I would make the meetings not mandatory - so that nobody feels forced to come - only encouraging those with a hole in their schedule to show up and do something different every once in a while.

Cassius
November 28th, 2018, 07:26 PM
[x] Draco [x] Help Watch the Black Children while the parents are at Hogsmeade [x] Join Selina on an "adventure"

Skull Leader
November 28th, 2018, 09:49 PM
I am curious about people choices here. I totally understand why helping babysit is a popular choice and normally I would pick it but for one factor...

Hermione has not learned Occlemency yet when these kids read minds naturally. They would eat her alive. At least give Hermione some time to learn the art before throwing her into babysitting full on.[X] Ana Spencer[X] Join Selina on an "adventure"
[x] Write In: Gather Draco, Selina, Ana and Shinji and suggest to create your own unofficial club.

You know Daiki that this club is likely to become Selina's personal DnD group/club. And I am not completely sure all of them would join if its Hermione leading the effort but sure let's attempt.

alfheimwanderer
November 28th, 2018, 09:56 PM
You know Daiki that this club is likely to become Selina's personal DnD group/club. And I am not completely sure all of them would join if its Hermione leading the effort but sure let's attempt.

As long as its not called the Snake Charmer's Society :P

alfheimwanderer
November 30th, 2018, 02:41 AM
It looks like we'll be working with [x] Draco and helping to [x] Watch the Black Children.

Break this tie:
[ ] Join Selina on an "adventure"
[ ] Write In: Gather Draco, Selina, Ana and Shinji and suggest to create your own unofficial club.

Desann
November 30th, 2018, 03:22 PM
[x] Join Selina on an "adventure"

alfheimwanderer
November 30th, 2018, 06:23 PM
[x] Join Selina on an "adventure"

100%

The weekend comes, with Hermione explaining to Selina that while she would be happy to join the blonde on an adventure, she had promised to watch the Black twins while their parents were off at Hogsmeade...and there is the matter of the potion due on Monday. The Black twins, however are rather of the opinion that they don't really need watching, and would much rather go on an adventure. Their counter offer is thus: since they know the ins and outs of the castle better than nearly anyone else, Hermione should let them join her on the adventure she's having, and in return, they'll help her with her potion.

When she asks if they'd be much help, Draco, very reluctantly, admits that they're not half bad at potions, given who their father is.

What does Hermione do?

[ ] Invite the Black Children on the adventure - they know the castle better than anyone
[ ] Don't invite the Black Twins - it might be dangerous

Cassius
December 1st, 2018, 11:48 PM
[x] Don't invite the Black Twins - it might be dangerous

Skull Leader
December 2nd, 2018, 12:11 AM
[x] Invite the Black Children on the adventure - they know the castle better than anyone

Hermione going to need their help in potions if she wants to get beyond her follow the book mentality. And how dangerous can an adventure at the school be? Surely the Hogwarts staff would have made sure the the castle was safe for all of their students so that no one could die or get hurt while on school grounds.

Right? Please?

Daiki
December 2nd, 2018, 12:35 AM
[x] Invite the Black Children on the adventure - they know the castle better than anyone.

Desann
December 2nd, 2018, 09:33 AM
[x] Invite the Black Children on the adventure - they know the castle better than anyone.

alfheimwanderer
December 3rd, 2018, 01:17 AM
[x] Invite the Black Children on the adventure - they know the castle better than anyone.

100%

The Twins mention a few different possibilities for adventures...is Hermione interested in any of these, or will she wait to see what Selina has to say?

[ ] Sneak into the Forbidden Forest
[ ] Sneak into Hogsmeade through a hidden passageway
[ ] An invisible staircase on the Fifth floor
[ ] Moaning Myrtle's bathroom - there's a hollow behind the sink
[ ] (write-in)

skulkidcachi90
December 3rd, 2018, 08:43 AM
[ ] Moaning Myrtle's bathroom - there's a hollow behind the sink

Cassius
December 3rd, 2018, 09:50 PM
[x] wait to see what Selina has to say

Daiki
December 4th, 2018, 04:13 AM
[x] Consult Selina first.

Skull Leader
December 4th, 2018, 04:14 AM
[x] Sneak into Hogsmeade through a hidden passageway

The rest of adventures are of the type that two muggle born, Draco and two non-wand young kids are not ready to handle without risking some serious consequences. Cause Shinji's adventure behind the sink went oh so well. Can we at least hold off until Hermione knows more than three spells.

Thought I have to admit, if one looks at this question solely from Hermione's POV then our choice here should be the staircase. Since A) Forbidden forest is Forbidden as pointed out by the Headmaster, B) Sneaking out to Hogsmede has to be breaking multiple rules of curfew especially involving Snape's kids and C) Taking Boys into a girl's restroom is violating that social rule. Yet exploring invisible stairs...doubt there is a rule Hermione can come up with to say no on that one. Even if that location leads to a place that older students had issues dealing with and one of them had a long lasting mentel issue from that experience. So yeah pick your poison here.

I am going with the lessor here is just going to Hogsmede and getting caught doing so.

alfheimwanderer
December 4th, 2018, 03:12 PM
[x] Consult Selina first.

100%

Hermione Granger was well aware of her many failings - especially how the greatest of her failings was her poor social skills, a deficit that had brought her much pain and suffering over the years. And so, while she did have her opinions on the places of adventure the Black twins spoke of, she thought it best to consult with Selina, who had, after all, been the one to invite her to join her party.

What a motley group it was, too, as they assembled in the common room on Saturday morning, with Ana carrying about her instrument, Matou with a jeweled bird perched on his shoulder, Draco looking...rather bleary eyed, complaining that it was too early for any right-thinking Slytherin to be up and about, the twins standing at the door of the Common Room, and Selina looking to Hermione then to the twins with a clear question in her eyes

"Ah, Selina, these are the Black Twins - Albireo and Alkaid," Hermione said nervously. "I uh, I hope you don't mind if they join us?" It occurred to her that she really should have asked if the children could come along, but it wasn't as if she could change the past, and the bargain they had offered had been too tempting at the time.

"Well that depends, what can they do?" the bespectacled blonde inquired as she turned to look at the uncanny children. "What skills do you bring that you seek to join our expedition."

"We can tell if others are near," Alkaid spoke solemnly. "And drive away beasts with our minds."

"We also know the castle well, its secrets and its quirks, for here it is we live," Albireo related, his mismatched eyes shining in the shadowy morn. "And we know you...artificer."

"...psionics, is it?" the blonde noted with a touch of wariness, with Draco glancing at her oddly as she said the term.

"Yes," the twins chorused.

"We can sense deception."

"At least in unclouded minds."

"And even those hidden, we can note."

"For those closed unlike those open, oft have things to hide."

Selina's lips twitched upwards ever so slightly as the twins did their little back and forth.

"Well then, ferreters of secrets and adepts of intrigue, I suppose you might join us," the bespectacled blonde conceded, with Hermione letting out a sigh of relief that was not unnoticed by the others. "Though I would like to see you in action before we risk anything too...permanent on a mission of great daring."

"...you speak sense, Artificer," Albireo stated solemnly. "What then, do you propose?"

"Today, oh rogues and wizards, we aim to raid the fabled hoard of a great beast - a terror that has lurked the halls of Hogwarts for many a year."

"A great beast..."

"...that has lurked the halls of Hogwarts?" the twins inquired, with Draco looking at Selina as if she was mad.

"What?" the Malfoy scion inquired incredulously. "Do you mean the three-headed dog in the Forbidden Corridor? Or some terrible working from one of the Vaults? We - our lives are not worth--"

"Nay, not the guardian of treasure below," Selina interjected. "Nor the trap of cursed stashes hidden in the bones of the castle. I speak of a beast in human flesh, named for the watcher with a thousand eyes, and the fabled hoard within his lair."

"...the watcher with..." Shinji murmured, almost too softly to hear. "Filch. Argus Filch."

"It is always pleasant to know myself in civilized company, and by civilized I mean one that knows the ancient lore," the bespectacled blonde murmured approvingly, with the Japanese boy looking away. "Yes, I mean he, the terror of students."

"...his office," Draco realized. "You want to steal something from him."

"Is it really stealing if one is merely reclaiming what was taken from another?" Selina inquired, with Draco frowning at the way her mind worked. "Liberating stolen treasure - does that not sound appealing."

"...it sounds like you're trying to get us expelled," Draco argued, now looking very much awake. "An adventure is one thing. Blatantly robbing Filch? Do you have any idea how much trouble we could get into?"

For once, Hermione had nothing to say - Draco had already said it all.

"Not as much as you think," Selina countered. "Besides, he never has to know we were there. Or even that anything is missing."

"What, so we wait for him to leave, take what we want and burn down his office?" Matou asked, the casual mention of arson and theft sending chills down Hermione's spine.

"No burning. That would let him know something happened," Selina responded, to which Shinji nodded.

"Fair enough. Means we probably can't grab much then," the boy pointed out. "Not that any of us know what his office looks like. And unless you can become invisible, I don't think we can sneak in."

"We could ask the House Elves to bring us there when he leaves," Albireo mentioned. "They can get almost anywhere in the castle."

"Yes, but they're also bound to obey," Ana spoke up. "If they're questioned by the Headmaster after Filch complains."

"I doubt he would think to ask them," Alkaid noted. "Most wizards ignore the doings of house elves."

"Be that as it may, something that doesn't involve others as much, perhaps?" Selina asked. "The fewer who know of our plans other than we conspirators..."

"The fewer the ones who can tell?" Shinji questioned.

"Exactly so," Selina acknowledged. "I think for something like this, we need to split the party into two parts. One will cause a distraction, drawing Filch away. The other will slip in and see what they can take from his office."

"A distraction?" Draco asked, looking like he'd bitten into something most foul. "Something that will get the ones doing the distracting into some trouble, I gather."

"Only if they are caught," Selina pointed out. "The key is to do something he cannot ignore, yet nothing...too permanent."

"We could ask Moaning Myrtle to flood the second floor," Albireo suggested. "It would be hard to punish a ghost."

"...who is Moaning Myrtle and why would she do that?" Hermione asked. The name sounded...dirty somehow, implying things about this Myrtle - it sounded like a name a boy would give to some loose girl, whatever loose meant. She'd overheard it before coming to Hogwarts, and only knew it was supposed to be bad.

"A ghost," Alkaid explained.

"A lonely ghost," Albireo added. "She was a fifth year when she died. She's nice sometimes. But only sometimes."

"I don't trust ghosts, after Peeves dropped dungbombs on me. If we must do this, I suppose some of us could...do something in the halls?" Draco ground out almost unwillingly, his lips tight. His face brightened as he thought of something. "I suppose I could even duel that Sokaris girl, if she isn't a coward."

"There could be more than one distraction," Ana pointed out. "I'm sure Peeves would be quite willing to cause a bit of mayhem, for the right price. And he much mislikes Filch, if I'm not mistaken."

"Hermione, what do you think?" Selina asked, turning to the brunette. "You've been quiet so far."

What does Hermione think of the idea of plundering Filch's stash of confiscated goods?

[ ] It's a horrible idea - it could get them all expelled!
[ ] Ask why Selina is so intent on doing this, and why Filch deserves to be robbed - Robbery is wrong after all
[ ] It...she supposes its safer than sneaking into the Forest or something like that
[ ] She won't tell anyone about what they're up to, but this isn't something she's willing to be part of

If she's involved, what would she like to do?

[ ] Help cause a distraction - she doesn't want to actually steal from Filch
[ ] Be one of the raiders of the office - if she's going to be involved, she might as well go all the way
[ ] Be a lookout - she wouldn't actually be stealing, or breaking rules...right?
[ ] Whatever Draco would like to do

What kind of distraction would she prefer?

[ ] Flooding of the 2nd Floor, courtesy of Myrtle
[ ]Peeves throwing dungbombs
[ ] Letting Draco duel Sokaris
[ ](write-in)

Skull Leader
December 5th, 2018, 12:06 AM
[] It's a horrible idea - it could get them all killed or even worse...expelled!

Fixed that line for ya. Thought it will be rather hard to expelled the twins here before they go to Hogwarts but if they do manage it they have broke all records and will be worshipped by Fred and George.

[X] It...she supposes its safer than sneaking into the Forest or something like that

Not feeling these choices, either Hermione becomes the wet blanket of the group or caves into peer pressure. And the stand up choice but not report anything feels really wrong for her to pick. Like she is either going to cave here or fully say no. Not a half ass no.

[X] Be one of the raiders of the office - if she's going to be involved, she might as well go all the way

I suggest we go in with twins and Hermione to Flinch's office as its rather important to not get caught doing this task. And assuming a person does not caught them red handed, the twins can come up with something knowing Finch such as Hermione babysitting them and was punishing them for bad behavior and needed something from his office to 'put them in their place.'

Hermione on the distraction squad just feels like a diaster waiting to happen as that group runs the largest risk of getting caught or in some form of trouble. Finch's office is not much better but nothing super great here.

As for the Distraction my mind keeps going why not both the flood and the bombs to cause a real distraction. If I had to pick one over the others I would go Flood, as Peeves is really hard to control and/or get him to do the task you want him to especially when he knows you want him to. And in no realm of existence can I see the Draco fight working as a good distraction. Draco you are just sore about her convincing your past friends into Ravenclaw.

[X] Flooding of the 2nd Floor, courtesy of Myrtle

alfheimwanderer
December 5th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Not feeling these choices, either Hermione becomes the wet blanket of the group or caves into peer pressure. And the stand up choice but not report anything feels really wrong for her to pick. Like she is either going to cave here or fully say no. Not a half ass no.

Well, she wanted to defer to Selina instead of recommending one of the Twins' suggestions, so ...

Daiki
December 5th, 2018, 08:46 PM
[x] It...she supposes its safer than sneaking into the Forest or something like that
[x] Help cause a distraction - she doesn't want to actually steal from Filch

[x] write-in; Set one unused room on fire with Blue Flames and fake some more (on different floors) burning with her Smokescreen spell.

The actual burning room should be close to his office so he can witness that someone is playing with fire. Then, the others (who aren't actually on fire) will serve as luring him away for as long as possible - by using smoke that would spread beyond those classrooms. That way, she can keep Filch busy trying to put out some additional classrooms that aren't even in flames x). It also limits the damage Hermione would cause overall as well as give her the opportunity to get away without being noticed easily.

Should keep the Squib busy for a while, since he has no way to know which class is actually burning and which isn't.

Cassius
December 7th, 2018, 07:45 AM
[X] It...she supposes its safer than sneaking into the Forest or something like that [x] Be one of the raiders of the office - if she's going to be involved, she might as well go all the way [x] Flooding of the 2nd Floor, courtesy of Myrtle

alfheimwanderer
December 7th, 2018, 12:21 PM
[X] It...she supposes its safer than sneaking into the Forest or something like that
[x] Be one of the raiders of the office - if she's going to be involved, she might as well go all the way
[x] Flooding of the 2nd Floor, courtesy of Myrtle

100%

If she was to be completely honest, Hermione Granger wasn't at all sure about this "adventure" that Selina had proposed, since, rather than something fun and wholesome, they were conspiring to steal something from the office of one of the adults at Hogwarts. Why? Why were they doing this? Didn't they know that stealing was wrong?

She said as much to Selina, who only looked at her curiously.

"Like I said, its not really stealing as much as reclaiming," the blonde replied easily. "Besides, it's not wrong unless you get caught, right? Besides, we're not taking things that rightfully belong to him, just the things he's stolen from others."

"Um, confiscation isn't..."

"It's stealing, just stealing no one will punish him for, just because he puts certain items on a list and says they're bad for the school," Selina pointed out. "A list that grows every year, and which doesn't have to be approved by the headmaster. It's not right that a thief and a tyrant stalk the halls."

Hermione blinked, staggered by the odd way in which Selina thought about these things.

"But he's just doing his job!"

"The Nazis thought the same way," the bespectacled blonde said gravely. "Or do you think they shouldn't have been punished either?"

"I..." Hermione began, only to grimace as she realized anything she said could be seen as her defending the Nazis. "I...that's not the same thing! They...they...what they did..."

"Well, another example then - the Sheriff of Nottingham. You must think him a just and righteous man who was unfairly robbed by the treasonous Robin of Loxley."

"I...that's..."

"He had the law on his side, didn't he?" Selina inquired. "Yes, he collected onerous taxes, but he was the Sheriff. Wasn't he right to do so, in your words? And Robin of Loxley merely a criminal who sought to steal wealth legitimately collected and overthrow the Sheriff and his Master?"

"I, that's not..."

"We're doing much the same as Loxley, you know. Taking back what was unjustly taken, teaching a petty man a lesson about what is right as opposed to what in his mind, is lawful."

"But if we don't follow the rules, how can we do what is right?"

"Because one doesn't have to Lawful in order to be Good?" Selina countered. "It's quite possible to be both Lawful and Evil, you know. Or to simply be lawful and not really care about good or evil. Filch, for example, is Lawful Evil - he uses his position to enact cruelty upon cruelty upon the students of Hogwarts. I on other hand, am Chaotic Good - it is my aim to do what is right, whatever the rules may say, while Professor Quirrell is Chaotic Neutral - in his mind, there is no good or evil, only power and those weak to seek it."

"And how do you know what is right without rules?" Hermione whispered, swallowing.

"Think about your acts in terms of other people - does what you want to do help them or hurt them?" Selina asked. "And if you are hurting some, is it in the service of a Greater Good?"

"Well said," Draco remarked approvingly. "You understand the world quite well."

"Well, I have seen much of it, after all," the bespectacled blonde demurred. "Well then, Hermione, what's it to be? In or out?"

"I...in, I suppose," the brunette said without much conviction. "I guess what you have in mind is safer than some of the things the Twins had in mind."

"The forest isn't dangerous, you know," Albireo pointed out.

"The animals stay away from us," Alkaid added.

"Right, and do you want to help cause the distraction, or raid the office?" Selina asked.

"...I guess I'll go raid the office," the girl said unhappily. "Just so I can be sure we're only taking what was stolen."

"Well, that works. Draco, would you mind taking the Twins with you to speak with Myrtle? I'm afraid dueling Sokaris might not be a good idea right now."

"Are you sure?" Draco asked, seeming almost disappointed. "I really wouldn't mind putting her in her place."

"And if you lose, in public?"

"I...I suppose you might be right," the pureblood conceded through grit teeth. "Flooding the castle it is then."

"You don't want--"

"--to flood it with ice?"

"No," Draco replied, paling. "No," he repeated. "We're not using ice. Much less cursed ice. I don't want to become the next Ben Copper."

"Who?" Ana inquired, raising an eyebrow.

"Gryffindor who went...bad."

Hermione alignment discovered: Lawful Neutral

100%

Filch's office, Hermione found, was a small, simple room with a single oil lamp hanging from the ceiling - a room that smelled of fish and sweat, as if the man didn't take very good care of himself. There was a small cot against the wall, and a rumpled pile of clothes, as if he often slept there, though most of the space around the walls was occupied with filing cabinets, with the rest taken up by a desk and a trunks.

One of the cabinets was helpfully marked "Confiscated and Highly Dangerous," while the others were unmarked.

"I don't think we have time to go through everything, and we don't have a bag of holding, so we can't exactly scoop everything up," Selina murmured. "Let's search through one place each and leave, since I want us long gone by the time he comes back."

Where does Hermione look?

[ ] The man's desk
[ ] The trunk
[ ] The filing cabinet marked "Confiscated and Highly Dangerous"
[ ] One of the other cabinets

Cassius
December 8th, 2018, 10:14 PM
[x] The filing cabinet marked "Confiscated and Highly Dangerous"

Daiki
December 9th, 2018, 01:17 AM
[x] One of the other cabinets.

There should be items he considers not "highly dangerous" yet still needing confiscating. Stuff like the marauder map.

Cassius
December 9th, 2018, 08:49 AM
[x] One of the other cabinets. There should be items he considers not "highly dangerous" yet still needing confiscating. Stuff like the marauder map. wasn't highly dangerous where the map was in canon?

alfheimwanderer
December 10th, 2018, 10:28 AM
wasn't highly dangerous where the map was in canon?

Quite so.

Desann
December 10th, 2018, 12:47 PM
[x] The filing cabinet marked "Confiscated and Highly Dangerous"

alfheimwanderer
December 10th, 2018, 09:33 PM
[x] The filing cabinet marked "Confiscated and Highly Dangerous"

100%

Looking at the possible places she could search for...goods that had been unjustly taken from others in the first place, Hermione gave the assortment before her a bit of thought. She wasn't going to go through the man's trunk - those were (probably) his things, and even if he was a bad person (which she still wasn't convinced about), it wouldn't be right to touch things that belonged to him. His desk was also something she put from her mind - no doubt he'd be able to tell if someone had rummaged through the drawers, or if someone took something from the desktop.

Which really just left the file cabinets, with the one marked "Confiscated and Highly Dangerous" drawing her attention. Who knew what was in any of the others, after all?

Wordlessly, the girl gestured to the cabinet in question, and Selina obliged, mumbling a quiet Alohomora as the lock on the cabinet undid itself with a solid-sounding thunk.

Inside was a jumble of items, none of which Hermione recognized, though of course, she didn't say so.

Several garishly green Frisbees with what looked like teeth along the edges.

Various vials of brightly colored potions.

A shimmering pile of silvery cloth.

A blank piece of parchment, folded into sections.

A bag of what looked like charcoal dust.

A book improbably entitled: Making Sparks Fly - The Cure for the Typical Snogging Session.

A bottle containing what seemed like a miniature storm.

And a black metal box, deathly cold to the touch.

"A pity we don't have a bag of holding right now," Selina quipped, with Hermione glancing at the blonde in confusion. "You know, a magical bag which can store far more than one would think from looking at it."

Indeed, the two girls just had their bookbags, and Hermione's was only half empty, as she'd thought it would seem suspicious to be walking around with a wholly empty bag.

What do they take? (Available carrying capacity - 15 units, divided into 10 for Selina and 5 for Hermione)

[ ] A Fanged Frisbee (2 units - can be sold as contraband)
[ ] Various vials of brightly colored potions (1 unit per vial)
[ ] A shimmering pile of silvery cloth (5 units)
[ ] A blank piece of parchment, folded into sections. (1 unit)
[ ] A bag of what looked like charcoal dust (7 units)
[ ] A book improbably entitled: Making Sparks Fly - The Cure for the Typical Snogging Session (3 units)
[ ] A bottle containing what seemed like a miniature storm (2 units)
[ ] A small black box, deathly cold to the touch (10 units)

Daiki
December 10th, 2018, 11:30 PM
Selina [x] A small black box, deathly cold to the touch.
Hermione [x] A bottle containing what seemed like a miniature storm + A blank piece of parchment + Various vials of brightly colored potions x2.

Skull Leader
December 11th, 2018, 06:48 PM
Hermione [X] Shimmering pile of Silvery cloth
Selina [X] Blank piece of parchment, Bottle containing what seems like a miniature storm and Bag of what looked like charcoal dust.

I could be wrong but that bag of dust might be Instant Darkness powder (Peruvian or not) so if that is true then fun times for all. Selina Queen of the Night.
Really I think Hermione is never the person that would discover the use of the map so rather Selina have that. But the cloak might be useful. Thought using it would pin things on Hermione.

I am fine with Daiki's picks but had wanted to go for the cloak. I considered going cloak and the black box but then no parchment...

alfheimwanderer
December 11th, 2018, 06:55 PM
I could be wrong but that bag of dust might be Instant Darkness powder (Peruvian or not) so if that is true then fun times for all. Selina Queen of the Night.

You're not wrong about that.

Cassius
December 11th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Selina [x] A small black box, deathly cold to the touch. Hermione [x] A bottle containing what seemed like a miniature storm + A blank piece of parchment + Various vials of brightly colored potions x2.

Daiki
December 13th, 2018, 02:05 PM
I want to know what the black box is about + the marauder map is a great tool to have.

Plus, noone said that the stuff Selina and Hermione pick go to them personally. It's a group activity after all, with others playing baits while these two are stealing from Filch.

I expect them all to gather and split however they can what they bring back.

alfheimwanderer
December 13th, 2018, 02:23 PM
I expect them all to gather and split however they can what they bring back.

Yes, the famed division of the spoils is coming. Some things are easier to split than others.

Desann
December 13th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Selina [x] A small black box, deathly cold to the touch. Hermione [x] A bottle containing what seemed like a miniature storm + A blank piece of parchment + Various vials of brightly colored potions x2.

alfheimwanderer
December 14th, 2018, 02:51 AM
Selina [x] A small black box, deathly cold to the touch.
Hermione [x] A bottle containing what seemed like a miniature storm + A blank piece of parchment + Various vials of brightly colored potions x2.

100%

Hermione Granger had never thought of herself as a thief, or even as a person who was curious about things that weren't really any of her business, yet as she looked at the items before her, some of them drew her attention despite her best intentions. Not the garishly green Frisbees or the odd book with its rather lurid cover and...why would anyone even enjoy being on hands and knees like...

You know what, never mind. That probably wasn't anything she should be thinking about anyway.

Being who she was, it was the out of place things that seemed interesting to her. The things which didn't have some clear sign of being dangerous or forbidden - in the adventures she'd read about, the most valuable treasures were not those which were the gaudiest to the eye.

So it was that she ended up taking the blank parchment, since she reasoned that there must be some reason it was in the cabinet alongside the other obviously magical items. Perhaps it held some kind of strange enchantment, or revealed the secrets of others - she didn't know, but her mind found itself curious anyway.

The most obviously magical item in the cabinet, was of course, the bottle containing what seemed like a thunderstorm in miniature, with tiny tornadoes swirling about in it as tendrils of lightning danced across the inner surface, and so she claimed that as well, though she didn't know what it did.

Aside from that, all that would fit into her bag - and she dared not take more than that, not when they were already doing something that might see every one of them expelled - were two large phials of colored liquid - one an acid blue, and one a shocking pink.

She took care to cover up the items with her books of course, so any casual inspection of her - in case a prefect or teacher should stop her and open her bag - would show only those. To her, it was unconscionable that Selina had decided to empty her bag entirely, since that risked getting them in serious trouble if anyone accosted them and discovered the blonde with contraband.

Stolen contraband, even!

Frankly, to Hermione, Selina's behavior reeked of selfishness and the sort of short-sighted thinking that turned even the smartest people stupid. Of greed and an unwillingness to follow perfectly sensible rules that were there for her protection! Frankly speaking, Selina was probably a Bad Person, no matter how she tried to justify herself, or convince herself that she was doing something just and noble.

'And what are you doing here then?' a particularly irksome voice whispered in the back of her mind. Yet she dismissed it, since she knew why she was here: to keep Selina from getting everyone else in trouble, and from getting herself hurt.

The blonde, even now, was claiming her item: a black metal box, quite heavy for its size and deathly cold to the touch, which Hermione had passed over.

"Are you sure you want to take that?" the brunette asked, not at all reassured by how the item barely fit into Selina's bookbag, making the container strain at the seams. "If someone sees you struggling--"

"They'll think I'm struggling with books and leave me alone," the blonde replied, her answer so free of worries that Hermione found herself stunned. "You know, if you keep acting like we're doing something wrong, people are going to notice when we go outside."

"But...we are!"

"Not if we don't get caught," Selina rejoined, a statement which made Hermione profoundly uncomfortable.

After all, it wasn't what you did when everyone was watching that mattered, but what you did in the dark, when you could choose to do as you pleased, with no one there to be your conscience. If you broke the rules merely because you found an excuse, or because you knew you wouldn't get caught, then you weren't really a good person.

If Selina continued, no doubt she'd plan more and more audacious "adventures", until one day they'd all find themselves working for a Dark Lord, and then it would be far too late.

She could stop this, she knew, nip it in the bud...
[ ] Report her to the teachers
[ ] Threaten to report her - make her put the box back
[ ] Leave an item out of place, so Fitch would notice
[ ] Don't say or do anything - it's not her place(Moderate Will Check)

Where do they go from here?

[ ] Straight back to Slytherin to drop off the stolen goods
[ ] Splitting up, with Hermione going to the library and Selina, Ana, and Shinji heading somewhere else
[ ] To check on Draco and the twins
[ ] (write-in)

And what one item does Hermione want for herself?

[ ] The Box
[ ] The Parchment
[ ] The Storm Bottle
[ ] A vial of potions
[ ] None - she doesn't want to own any contraband

Cassius
December 14th, 2018, 07:22 PM
[x] Don't say or do anything - it's not her place(Moderate Will Check) Can we vote what Hermione does if she fails the will check? [x] Splitting up, with Hermione going to the library and Selina, Ana, and Shinji heading somewhere else [x] The Parchment Watch it not be the map in the end :P

alfheimwanderer
December 14th, 2018, 08:43 PM
Can we vote what Hermione does if she fails the will check?

You can propose an alternative if she fails the check, sure. It also depends how hard she fails.

Daiki
December 14th, 2018, 09:38 PM
[x] Don't say or do anything - it's not her place.

If anything I'm all for confronting Selina about her life choices however, threatening her is a step (or two) too far. I would like Hermione to come to an understanding with Selina (or at the very least, a neutral mid-ground) not alienate the girl entirely.

Hope we don't get a bad roll on this.

Skull Leader
December 15th, 2018, 02:06 AM
[X] Leave an item out of place, so Fitch would notice
[X] Splitting up, with Hermione going to the library and Selina, Ana, and Shinji heading somewhere else
[X] None - she doesn't want to own any contraband

Hermione has no reason to ever pick the parchment, nor does she have a reason to ever say the passcode for the map. Stop thinking solely with out of character knowledge and trying to get them to have the cool item you wanted.

Passive resistance Hermione, leave a item out of place. And no items for her as she did this whole thing just she can get help with Potions. Not to gain loot from questionable actions.

Daiki
December 15th, 2018, 03:52 AM
Forgot the other choices;

[x] Splitting up, with Hermione going to the library and Selina, Ana, and Shinji heading somewhere else.

I assume the group has plans to hide the goods and retrieve them later for share.

[x] The Parchment.

That one isn't much incriminating, likely not of much interest to others and it would give Hermione a fun time trying to discover its secrets.


Hermione has no reason to ever pick the parchment, nor does she have a reason to ever say the passcode for the map.

Not anymore than anyone else, really. So she might as well at least try to figure it out. Not that I expect her to succeed without the help of certain twins. She could always trade it for something these two possess (get rid of the evidence!), like information about secret passageways, etc...

Cassius
December 15th, 2018, 10:36 AM
If the roll fails then [x] Leave an item out of place, so Fitch would notice

Desann
December 15th, 2018, 12:57 PM
[x] Don't say or do anything - it's not her place(Moderate Will Check)
If fails, [x] Leave an item out of place, so Fitch would notice

[x] Splitting up, with Hermione going to the library and Selina, Ana, and Shinji heading somewhere else

alfheimwanderer
December 15th, 2018, 03:30 PM
[x] Don't say or do anything - it's not her place(Moderate Will Check) - WILL CHECK (Needed 15, rolled 1)

OOC: ...huh. A 1, really?

100%

It took everything Hermione had not to just explode right here, to take Selina to task about her choices and what the blonde was thinking to even consider stealing from the school, much less convincing everyone else to join her in her mad scheme. She supposed that maybe Matou, Ana, and Draco weren't completely at fault - and they couldn't be blamed, really, since they weren't here.

No...the only ones to blame were Selina...and her. Her for listening. Her for agreeing.

Her for being here, listening to her greed, being complicit.

...if they got caught, it wouldn't just be Selina who was expelled. It would be her, as well.

Yet...she couldn't just do nothing. Even if it meant possibly getting caught, even if it meant something terrible happening to her...well, she deserved it for giving into temptation, for letting herself be persuaded.
Still, she wasn't brave enough to tell a teacher. She wasn't anywhere bold or socially adept enough to confront Selina on this to her face, when the other girl was so much better at talking, at twisting people's thoughts the moment she opened her mouth. All she could do was something like leave something out of place.

She hated it. She hated it so much - this weakness of hers. This inability to act.

And so she acted now, aiming to nudge one of the items out of the cabinet before she closed it, so Fitch would notice something was out of place, thinking he would know something happened, but maybe not that it was them. Maybe.

Only...the item she displaced was the bag of charcoal dust, and when it tipped...it spilled, plunging the entire room into darkness.

"Hermione! What happened?" Selina asked, with Hermione hearing the other girl say Lumos and Finite, only for neither to have any discernible effect.

"I-I don't know!"

There was no need to fake any sort of panic in her voice, or any uncertainty, as Hermione indeed didn't know what was happening.

"...let's get out of here."

Unable to think of anything better to do, the girl gave in as Selina reached out and grabbed her hand, leading her out of the darkness and into the light of the room. Shamefully, she almost - almost - forgot her bag in the confusion, but managed to grab it at the last moment, since with the books in it...

...she would have been the only one blamed.

The thought sickened her, swallowed up any shred of bravery she had, so when them emerged into the hall and Selina suggested they split up, with Hermione going to the library so she had some time to herself, though she didn't know what to do with the contraband on her.

If she was caught...

The girl shuddered. She hadn't thought about what to do after this. Yes, Selina had offered to take the bag and hide it, but...after what happened, and with it having her books in it...

What should she do?

[ ] Take it back to the Slytherin dorms after some studying - surely she won't get caught...and if she lost it all, Draco and Matou would be so disappointed...
[ ] Turn it all over to Lord Black - say that she saw someone drop these
[ ] Stick it in another student's bookbag - let them be caught with it instead
[ ] (write-in)

alfheimwanderer
December 17th, 2018, 04:06 PM
[x] Turn it all over to Lord Black - say that she saw someone drop these

100%

...since she had been complicit in the crime of robbing Filch, it only stood to reason that she take responsibility for what she did, throw herself on the mercy of one of the Professors, and hope for the best. Of course, she didn't...want anything bad to happen to her...friends (though that word didn't apply to someone like Selina, who had just wanted to corrupt her), but she couldn't let them continue to fall into folly like they had.

If things continued as they were, soon enough, Selina would convince them to go on some adventure that would see them killed - or worse, expelled!

It was clear what she had to do then, she thought, closing her books and heading out of the library. She would turn over everything she'd taken to Lord Black, saying she found them - or if that didn't work, that she and Selina took them. It wouldn't do to have anyone else suffer for her failings, after all.

So resolved, she began to make her way to where she knew the History Professor lived, hoping that he would prove...understanding, and not look at what she'd done as a betrayal of his trust.

Yet, no sooner than she'd turned the corner from the library than she began to hear voices.

"Well, look what we have here, brother of mine?" a brash voice said to one side of her, as she felt hot breath on her ear.

"A wee firstie Slytherin, already up to no good?" a quieter, mischievous voice replied on her other side. "Breaking all the rules already?"

"A dark lady indeed, as the rumors say," the first supplied sagely. "To whom things like stealing come as easily as breathing."

"No...that's...that's wrong!" Hermione insisted. "I'm not a bad person. I don't--"

"--steal?" the second voice interjected. "Then what's in your bag, Miss Granger?"

The girl let out a strangled eep! as she unwittingly clutched her bag tighter, her face paling as she glanced around, only to see no one.

"N-nothing...b-books!" she stammered.

"Mm." The first voice made a noise of consideration, before it - he - scoffed. "Books you say. Then you don't mind showing us what you have, right?"

"After all, if you've done nothing wrong, you've nothing to hide from us...right?" the second voice added, with the hint of satisfaction lurking in it making her deeply uncomfortable. "Nothing to be ashamed of. Nothing to fear."

"I...who...who are you...?"

Both voices chuckled, identical sounds of amusement and yet, to her ears, malevolence.

"That is of no consequence, Miss Granger," the first voice replied coolly.

"What is of consequence are the forbidden items you carry," the second added.

"Surrender them, and repent of your wrongdoing, and you may go on your way," the first continued. "Hogwarts is nothing if not forgiving for those with the right attitude."

"Do not, and we will not be responsible for the consequences," the second admonished.

"Do you wish mercy--"

"--or will you face expulsion?"

"The choice is yours," the two voices chorused sibilantly.

What does Hermione do?

[ ] Surrender the items
[ ] Run
[ ] Try to attack one of the voices
[ ] Pretend to surrender an item, but instead shatter the storm flask and use the resulting outpouring of magic to escape

Daiki
December 17th, 2018, 04:18 PM
[x] Surrender the items

Skull Leader
December 17th, 2018, 05:18 PM
Hermione Panic time, please remember to have your panic quietly while still in the Libary. Or add being banned from the place to her punishment.

[x] Surrender the items

Cassius
December 17th, 2018, 10:03 PM
[x] Run

alfheimwanderer
December 19th, 2018, 03:14 AM
[x] Surrender the items

100%

There was no choice, not really. She couldn't run from what she did - she couldn't hope to hide anything. It must be obvious to anyone watching that she was a criminal. A thief. A bad...a horrible, weak person, who couldn't stand up to pressure, who had told herself that she should hand the goods over to Lord Black, but had begun to have second thoughts about what her friends would think.

Which was then she began hearing the voices.

"...I'm sorry," she whispered, taking the items out of her bag and placing them before her. "I won't - I won't do it again. I promise."

"Do you now?" the first voice questioned.

"Yes...please. I'm...I'm very sorry. I-I didn't mean..." she babbled, not knowing what to do as hot, heavy tears began to flow from her eyes. "I...please. Forgive me. I-I..."

"You made a mistake, child," the second voice said, more gently than before. "But you have confessed your guilt and given up the items you acquired. Now close your eyes, wish the items returned, and count to ten. When you open them again, they will have gone by the magic of the castle, and you unburdened of your sin."

"Thank you," the girl sobbed, looking down and closing her eyes as directed. "Thank you so much."

She wished with all her might that the items might be returned, that she would be freed of the burden of carrying them - of the evidence of having committed this crime.

After all, if she let the castle put the items back, it would be as if they were never taken, right?

After ten heartbeats, she opened her eyes, and to her relief, the items were gone.

She was free.

Only the moment she thought that, she felt a pang of guilt. Just...what would she tell her friends back at Slytherin? They were surely expecting her with either the items or the knowledge of where she'd hidden them.

[ ] That she hid them
[ ] That someone stole them from her bag
[ ] The truth as she knows it - recounting the situation exactly
[ ] The modified truth - that she put them back after being confronted

Cassius
December 20th, 2018, 05:01 PM
[x] That two people ambushed her and threatened her and forced her to give them up.

Skull Leader
December 20th, 2018, 05:03 PM
[X] The truth as she knows it - recounting the situation exactly

Oh hell no. We should not lie about this as that will just make for MORE push back from Hermione. She is Lawful Neutral, lying is wrong to her. And since she just had a panic attack about stealing, lying is not going to make anything better.

Daiki
December 20th, 2018, 05:30 PM
[x] The truth as she knows it - recounting the situation exactly

I know she will be get the worst treatment for it but at least, it allows her to display her true colors. She can't steal nor lie. That's just not her. Even if she lied, it would be pointless with the twins around.

alfheimwanderer
December 21st, 2018, 04:15 PM
[X] The truth as she knows it - recounting the situation exactly

100%

Fortunately for Hermione, her friends proved understanding of what happened, mostly due to the twins solemnly acknowledging that she believed what she said to be true - which troubled her, since it wasn't that she believed it was true, the events she'd laid out had actually happened. Selina (!), of all people, actually patted her on the shoulder and said that she'd never fault someone for doing her best under such difficult circumstances, though Hermione later heard the girl wonder if someone else had taken advantage of their "adventure" to obtain some of the rewards without the risk of infiltrating Filch's office. Draco offhandedly said that he wouldn't have trusted himself to win against 2-to-1 odds, when his assailants were under invisibility cloaks, so in that situation, surrendering the goods was the right thing to do.

"They're only things," Draco mentioned reasonably. "Replaceable in the end. Not like good allies, er, friends."

"True," Selina agreed. "Annoyed as I am about the whole thing, its not like we came away empty-handed either. I, for one, am curious what's in the box."

"You didn't try to open it?" Hermione questioned, taken aback. She would have thought that someone like Selina would have already unlocked it and taken whatever was inside for herself - that was just the kind of person Selina was, right?

"No," the blonde replied. "It's better to do it as a party, right? That way, no one feels left out - or has concerns someone might have taken more than their share, only to say it vanished." She smiled, but it was a cold expression from which Hermione flinched.

"Let me try this," Ana spoke up, as Selina placed the black box on the table before them. "Alohomora!" she incanted, waving her wand - but nothing happened. There was no click, and the box didn't open. "More complicated lock, huh?"

"Maybe this will work," Draco suggested, as he took a pocketknife from his robes. "A knife enchanted to open any lock."

"Heh, I don't suppose you have a Hand of Glory around too?" Selina quipped, "I hear they can be right useful."

"No. Father wouldn't let me buy one. He said it wouldn't do for a son of the Malfoy to be skulking around in the darkness like a common thief."

"Indeed," Selina murmured. "It would be a terrible thing if a Malfoy were only a common thief."

"Exactly!" Draco agreed, missing the insinuation in Selina's words as he leaned forward and began fiddling with the lock. "Hm, let me...I think...this should...Ow!"

"What happened?" Hermione demanded, on seeing Draco flinch.

"I cut myself," the boy groaned, his bloody thumb touching the lock assembly as--

Thunk.

The box unlocked with a very solid sound.

"A blood seal?" Ana muttered. "That's a bit more serious than I was expecting from something like this. Try closing it again."

He did, and the box locked itself once more.

Shinji, curious about the mechanism, wordlessly gestured for the knife, which Draco lent to him. He in turn cut his finger and tried to use that to unlock it, but it didn't work.

"It needs a specific person's blood," he observed as he handed the knife back to Draco.

"Or someone from the right bloodline," Ana suggested. "Given your ancestry, perhaps it would have to be a Black, or a Malfoy."

Draco couldn't deny being very curious about what exactly was being hidden in the chest, and so he touched his bloody thumb to the lock, and when the mechanism activated, he reverently opened the...small chest, he supposed it was, only to gasp at what he saw inside.

"Is that...what I think it is?" Ana said in a hushed voice, as the contents saw the light of day.

Hermione peered over her friend's shoulders, but could only see a diadem, resting on a bed of what seemed like black ice.

'Oh no. We stole something really expensive...' she fretted. 'We're going to get expelled, aren't we?'

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/harrypotter/images/f/f8/ScreencapTeaser2.png/revision/latest?cb=20161125070340

"I...I don't...this has been thought lost for a thousand years!" Draco gibbered, his face a mask of utter shock. "Since the time of the Founders. What was it doing in Filch's office?!"

"The better question is why it was kept in a box that could only be opened by someone of your bloodline," Selina pointed out, with the boy nodding.

"Yes, that...did Father...no, he must have, but..."

Hermione wanted to ask what it was, but was afraid it would betray her ignorance, so she didn't. As she looked at the item however, the great sapphire embedded in it seemed to draw her towards it, and she found herself reaching out to the diadem before she knew it.

It would be nice to try it on, wouldn't it, some part of her asked? After all, she'd always wanted to be a princess...

What does Hermione do?

[ ] Take the diadem and place it on her head - what harm could it do?
[ ] Leave it alone (will check)

Daiki
December 21st, 2018, 05:34 PM
[x] Leave it alone (will check)

Sure, let's place the horcrux on our head. What could possibly happen x)

alfheimwanderer
December 21st, 2018, 06:18 PM
Obviously it will make a contract with her.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/616/qb.jpg

Skull Leader
December 22nd, 2018, 02:45 AM
Yah gods that pic is huge. It staring into my SOUL.

[x] Leave it alone (will check)

While putting it on might turn out that its not cursed this time around (good luck), it is still stolen goods and thus Hermione should not taint herself more by wearing it. It belongs in a Museum!

alfheimwanderer
December 22nd, 2018, 03:57 AM
[x] Leave it alone (will check)

100%

'No. I really shouldn't,' she told herself, quashing the little voice in her head mercilessly. In fact, it wouldn't be right for any of them to keep it, since it was stolen. 'It doesn't belong to me. It doesn't belong to us. It belongs in a museum.'

"We can't keep this," Hermione said firmly, with the others turning to her as she said this. "It wouldn't be right."

"...are you mad?" Draco inquired incredulously. "This is," he lowered his voice, "this is the Diadem of Ravenclaw, the legendary artifact created by one of the Founders. Are you saying we should just put it back?! I won't have it."

"Draco, you--"

"I don't think anyone is suggesting that, Draco," Selina interrupted, her voice deceptively mild. "You're quite correct that we can't put it back - such an artifact would be wasted in the back of one of Filch's cabinets."

"Yes. Just so," Draco agreed, seemingly mollified, as he closed the box with a click, the locking mechanism re-engaging as he did. "Not that it would be of much use to any of us without my help, since I'm the only one who can open it."

"That..."

"...is not quite true," the twins commented.

"We are of the house of Black as well," Albireo intoned, with their cousin grimacing at the point. "Our blood should be just as good."

"Fair..." Draco conceded through his teeth. "And what would you wish to do with it then, cousins? If we kept it for ourselves, imagine what we could do. The diadem, according to legend, can raise the intelligence of any who puts it on for even a moment. With it, we could rise beyond any of the others at this school, learn of great and powerful magics - like Rowena Ravenclaw herself!"

"And yet Rowena Ravenclaw lost her diadem, did she not?" Ana pointed out. "I believe it was stolen by someone envious of her intellect because they knew it was the secret of her power."

"...well, yes," Draco admitted sourly. "Even so, it was we who found it. We who should be the ones to determine its fate!"

"Technically, it was I who found it," Selina corrected. "But let's not stand on ceremony, shall we?"

"We need to turn it in. To give it to the teachers," Hermione voiced, with Draco looking quite pained at the thought. "It's the right thing to so."

"Is that what the person who lost her share of the treasures should be saying?" the blond boy questioned. "I don't blame you for having to give up what you carried. But neither do I think you have a say in what happens to this. Selina selected this - not you. She brought it safely to us - not you. If anyone, it is her decision, and mine...and that of the twins," he added reluctantly.

Hermione flinched as if she'd been physically struck, with Draco's words feeling like stabs. How...how could he say such things to her? He'd been such a nice boy, had been her friend. What had gone wrong?

The person who spoke next - who spoke up for her point of view - was the last person she expected.

"I don't think we can keep it either," Selina noted, though she seemed amused. "But nothing says we can't benefit from it nevertheless."

"...what do you mean?" Draco asked, cautiously curious. "How could we benefit from it if we don't have it?"

"By turning it over to the authorities - perhaps to the Lord Black, who can speak for us with the Headmaster," the blonde offered. "After all, if this is a legendary artifact, lost to the ages, there will no doubt be some kind of reward for the ones who found it, no?"

"...huh. I...I didn't think of that," the boy admitted. "But how will we explain where we found it? Obviously, it had to have been in the castle, but why no one else found it..."

"It's a large castle, with many secrets. Weren't you just mentioning the Cursed Vaults?"

"...I guess that would work. I have heard tell of a hidden room on the seventh floor, though I have no idea how to get to it."

"Then that is what we'll say. We retrieved it from a room in the castle to which we cannot return, where none would have suspected an ancient treasure to be hid. We do not know how it came to be there, or who might have left it there, only that it took wit, cunning, courage and teamwork to retrieve it - all the virtues of Hogwarts," Selina suggested. "What do you think?"

"...I like it. But what is to stop them from simply taking the item from us and giving us oh, house points instead of something more tangible?"

Personally, Hermione wanted to interject, because receiving house points for breaking the rules was already going too far, but realized that if she spoke up, the others would be quite wroth.

"Well, there is who your father is, yes?" Ana pointed out. "We could go to him with it, or have him...suggest something suitable."

But Draco shook his head.

"I want this to be something we did for ourselves - something that is mine, not Father's. If need be, we could, but..."

"Well, then who do we go to?" Selina questioned. "Quirrell, perhaps? His whole 'there is no such thing as good or evil' bit seems like it would work for us here."

"If he doesn't think taking it for himself and claiming the credit is the better option," Draco grumbled.

"Hermione, any suggestions?" Selina inquired.

Who would Hermione suggest?

[ ] Lord Black
[ ] The Headmaster
[ ] Professor Slughorn - Head of Slytherin
[ ] Professor Flitwick - Head of Ravenclaw House
[ ] Professor Quirrell -

Daiki
December 22nd, 2018, 07:20 AM
[x] Lord Black.

Out of all of them, he's the one who has the most integrity, who would not deny the students who found their just rewards, has the most authority to decide on what to do with it, and who is not a Legilimens who can immediately tell their made up story about the cursed vaults is bs.

Dumbledore and Severus still manage to examine the Horcrux that way and take the preventive measures for it (and hopefully Dumbledore doesn't immediately die). Slughorn might want to take some credit for himself, although I don't think he would leave the group without a reward (most likely some potions + house points). He's the option for those who wan tspecial favors down the line.

Quirrell is a question mark. I'm sure he would find a way to make this benefit all parties, whichever form that takes. But there may be unexpected consequences there.

skulkidcachi90
December 22nd, 2018, 11:44 PM
[ ] Professor Slughorn - Head of Slytherin

Skull Leader
December 22nd, 2018, 11:49 PM
I agree that Flitwich is a good answer but that one feels like it would be so out of character to pick. Hermione has had very very little interaction with him (if any). So would not know about his character outside its a teacher. Maybe because the item is his house's symbol but it feels wrong to apply outside knowledge that hard in this pick.

Quirrel suffers the same fate in picking him as Flikwich has, no interaction with. Headmaster at least has the top of the chain for this going for him, but really we need to take it to a teacher before going to the headmaster. After all what first year can really go to the Headmaster. Chain of command applies.

So that leaves us with two real choices, Lord Black and the head of the house Slughorn. Given that the party knows Lord Black the most, I say we go with that option.

[X] Lord Black

Daiki
December 23rd, 2018, 12:13 PM
Right, Flitwick sounds a bit meta here, though he is the Head of Ravenclaw, which makes him a credible answer for a by the rules Hermione.

But fine, I don't have much against a Severus pick here, except for the bit about immediately categorizing Hermione as a troublemaker. But we picked Slytherin, so I don't think we will be able to dodge that all the time.

Cassius
December 23rd, 2018, 01:08 PM
[X] Lord Black

alfheimwanderer
December 26th, 2018, 05:04 AM
[X] Lord Black

100%

Who will handle the explanations?

[ ] Draco - who has Occlumency training
[ ] Selina - who seems to have a way with words
[ ] Hermione - who will be honest about the whole thing

Will they ask for anything?

[ ] Yes - ask about a finders fee
[ ] Yes - ask to be involved with what happens to it
[ ] Yes - for special training
[ ] No, try not to seem greedy

Skull Leader
December 26th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Well since this is RP is from viewpoint of Hermione, might as well continue to give Hermione answers.

[X] Hermione - who will be honest about the whole thing

Would have let Draco do the talking if he did not turn on Hermione like he did. That hurt her a lot and I can see Hermione digging in her heels on this. Really Draco pulling the 'my precious' on this does not lend well to you telling the truth to Snape. And Selina, while normally I would say is a great pick to talk from our outsider POV, has proven to Hermione to be a rule-breaker that will try to presuid her to do bad things. So I don't see Hermione voicing letting the Chaotic lending person to be the one to tell the truth to the authorities.

[X] No, try not to seem greedy

Hermione still feels guilty so she is not going to suggest they take anything. The good deed (even if it was slow to it and caused by a bad one) is reward in itself. Maybe Snape will give them a reward, maybe not. But it is his darn call to make so expect nothing.

Daiki
December 27th, 2018, 12:14 PM
[x] Selina - who seems to have a way with words
[x] Yes - ask to be involved with what happens to it

alfheimwanderer
December 31st, 2018, 01:07 AM
[x] Hermione + Selina

100%

"Miss Moore, Miss Granger," Lord Black began, clearly less then amused at the wild truthful tale the two had spun, "If I were any other professor, I would be wondering how you had truly come by the diadem and how you sought to profit. It is hardly credible that any first years, much less two muggleborn, would simply have stumbled upon a lost relic of the Founders. Even less credible is your implication is that you found a room not unlike one of the Cursed Vaults, or if you did, that you somehow found a way to retrieve the treasure within, without putting the castle in peril." He paused as he studied the two of them. "Yet, I can sense you are not lying..."

He frowned then, looking at the case they had brought before him, one of rather solid manufacture that did not seem hundreds of years old. It opened smoothly, of course, though its locking mechanism was smeared with blood.

"Whose blood, may I ask?"

"Draco's, sir," Selina related, with the professor frowning as he heard this, the expression that crossed his face darkening as he bit off a curse.

"Perhaps you were not aware of the dangers of meddling with ancient artifacts," he allowed, letting out a long, shuddering breath. "But should you encounter them, it is...unwise to attempt to touch them directly unless absolutely necessary. Creating a connection though blood...do you have any idea how risky such a thing was?"

"...n-no," Hermione stammered, with Selina looking impassive.

"We did not intentionally seek to do so. Draco cut himself accidentally and then touched the case."

"...then I will have to have a talk with my godson about acceptable risks," the man grumbled. "And while my first inclination, especially hearing that you involved my children in this mad endeavour, Miss Granger, is to have you and your band of...adventurers expelled from Hogwarts..." he growled, with Hermione wishing the earth would open up and swallow her whole, "it would be...impolitic to do so, when you may have discovered a long-lost relic of the Founders."

"...so I, um, I'm not going to be expelled?" Hermione quavered.

"No," Lord Black said sourly. "Unfortunately." He paused, considering his statement. "At least, if this is indeed the genuine article, which remains to be seen." He reached up, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "Assuming that it is indeed the lost diadem of Ravenclaw, is there something you would wish for...retrieving the item from where it had been...misplaced?"

"N-no, I wouldn't, I couldn't..." Hermione answered shakily, only for Selina to cut her off.

"Would there be some kind of finder's fee? Or some other kind of reward?" the bespectacled blonde inquired, with Hermione's eyes widening in horror.

"No, we can't! It, it's not--"

"Not right for us to profit from the risk we took to retrieve a priceless historical treasure?" Selina cut her off. "You needn't be so selfish, Granger."

"Wh--me? Selfish?! You're the one who--"

Both of them fell silent as Lord Black cleared his throat, clearly tired of the squabbling of schoolgirls

"Assuming it is genuine, there may be such a reward, yes, though that is not up to me to decide," the man answered. "Else, I suppose it may be possible to grant you some sort of special...arrangement," he allowed, speaking as if the very word was distasteful. "Which would it be?

When neither answered immediately, he glowered, muttering about first years and their overweening ambitions.

"Have each of the people involved send me what they request, so we have it in writing," he said, before dismissing them.

What do you desire?

[ ] Money
[ ] Fame
[ ] Special instruction in x topic
[ ] A transfer to another house
[ ] (write-in)

Daiki
December 31st, 2018, 03:22 PM
[x] Special instruction in runes!
.

Skull Leader
December 31st, 2018, 04:15 PM
[X] A transfer to another house

I can hear the question on that one. Surely training would be better. Maybe but there is a huge issue with Hermione in Slytherin that is starting to rear an ugly head. Selina. Hermione's polar opposite.

Selina is going to turn people against Hermione, given that Hermione is going to want to enforce rules at this point. She has been scared into making sure the rules will be followed. Hermione is not happen in the house of the Ambitious, given how that means they are willing to lie, cheat, and steal for that. Even Draco turned on her. Shinji is going to be no help to her since he is basically Rin, caring about money and knowledge.
I think we need her to take this opportunity and get her to switch houses now.

Cassius
January 3rd, 2019, 08:54 PM
[x] Special instruction

alfheimwanderer
January 3rd, 2019, 10:20 PM
[x] Special instruction

100%

Special instruction you say...but in what topic?

[ ] Runes
[ ] Charms
[ ] Defense
[ ] Occlumency
[ ] (write-in)

Skull Leader
January 5th, 2019, 04:26 AM
[X] Charms

Runes is what I want her to learn but this one is likely to not go over well since beginner student should not ask for this skill for 3rd years in their minds. So this comes with a lot of risk. I think we would be better off with Charms since it would be with Flitwick who would be pleased in this recovered item.

Daiki
January 5th, 2019, 07:58 AM
[x] Charms.

alfheimwanderer
January 6th, 2019, 02:53 PM
[x] Charms

100%

The days passed, with things at Slytherin having settled down, though an uneasiness remains, as none of the first years who went on the adventure had forgotten how some of the others seemed to...snap under pressure. Selina was surprisingly, rather polite to her still, if cold, with Ana and Shinji seeming to act as if nothing had happened, though Draco...Draco was no longer talking with her, something which hurt her more deeply than she cared to admit. He'd been the first real friend she'd made at Hogwarts, and yet, just because she'd given up the stolen treasures when confronted by the magic of the castle, he'd turned on her? Why...why would he do that when she had done nothing wrong, when he was the one in the wrong for seeking to keep the diadem to themselves.

She'd tried to explain that to him, even telling him that his father would have been disappointed in him if he'd gotten in trouble, but Malfoy's cutting response had been that the only way they would have gotten in trouble would be if she ratted them out. That he felt the need to follow up by asking if she had...his words had ripped her heart out and crushed out, because it showed he didn't trust her at all. It was as if everything good he ascribed to Selina, and everything bad...was her fault.

Even Lord Black had withdrawn his offer to watch his children in exchange for teaching her Occlumency, leaving her very much alone...

Who will she spend more time with?

[ ] Matou and Ana
[ ] Someone from another house
[ ] Professor Quirrell - she needs to learn ways to protect herself
[ ] None, throw herself into her studies - she can't trust anyone else

Daiki
January 7th, 2019, 04:04 AM
[x] Matou and Ana.

skulkidcachi90
January 7th, 2019, 10:29 AM
[ ] Someone from another house

Dracueri
January 7th, 2019, 03:50 PM
[x}Matou and Ana

Cassius
January 7th, 2019, 05:42 PM
[x] Someone from another house

Skull Leader
January 7th, 2019, 08:10 PM
[x] Matou and Ana

alfheimwanderer
January 7th, 2019, 09:56 PM
[x] Matou and Ana

100%

Of the people who had been involved, it hurt least to be around Ana and Shinji, as the former just seemed somehow above the whole mess, with a vaguely amused expression on her face most days, and the other was perpetually busy. Neither had been all too invested in the bungled adventure, playing a tertiary role at best, much as they'd been indifferent as to the final disposition of the Diadem of Ravenclaw.

'Maybe that's just because Matou is from another country, and doesn't recognize it. Or maybe its because such things are common where he comes from...'

She wondered what reward he'd chosen. Probably something related to runes, if the books he read in his spare time were any indication. He worked hard - harder than anyone else Hermione knew of, his homework always impeccable, his eyes always sharp - always hungry, though he never hungry enough to be drawn to more than once a week. Mostly, he would sit in the Common Room, writing out answers to one thing or another, glancing up at the lake and its depths as if there was something curious there.

Ana was even more of a mystery, despite the fact that Hermione saw her more often, despite how she seemed to get along with everyone. It was as if nothing ruffled her, as if nothing truly mattered to her here at Hogwarts, despite how the school was the best in the world.

Oddly, Hermione never saw the other girl working on homework. She supposed that this might be because Ana didn't do her work in the Common Room, but if she didn't do it there - and she was there as much as anyone else was - then when and where did she?

Still, the mysterious pureblood never seemed to mind when Hermione sat next to her and talked about different things, be it books, her past, her feelings about...things, or about...her. Hermione knew she didn't look pretty, after all, that she was awkward, that she often said the wrong thing, but Ana always listened anyway, never seeming to judge her. Oh, Hermione had met people who pretended to listen, only to stab her in the back later, or used friendship as a pretense to get something from her, but Ana wanted nothing from Hermione, and honestly didn't seem to care how she did in class, as if her time at Hogwarts wasn't important.

...as if, in her heart of hearts, she was somewhere far away.

Of course, time refused to stand still while she wrangled with these issues of acceptance and friendship, and word soon came - through Ana - that the Diadem had been verified as genuine.

"Rejoice, Hermione Granger," Ana said to her, after the others were distracted by the news, a wry smile on her lips, "your wish will be granted."

"My wish?"

"You wanted the diadem placed in a museum, yes?" Ana voiced, with Hermione feeling her cheeks heat up at this. Ana had...Ana had remembered this? "It is in the next best thing - a display in the atrium of the Ministry."

"You mean...there are no museums in the wizarding world?" Hermione asked. "No collections of artifacts or significant items. No trove of paintings for public display or..."

Ana looked at her oddly.

"Why would there be? What use has a country of just over ten thousand wizards for a museum?" the blonde asked, and for the first time, Hermione could see a hint of sadness flicker across the other's face. "You know what a famous Roman general once said of Britain?"

"What?"

"That it was the place where land and nature ended, that beyond Hadrian's Wall, it was the land of eternal winter, impossible for a man to survive even a half-hour, a land so deadly that man, beast and fiend alike would perish from the pestilential air," Ana quipped, shaking her head. "I admit it is...cleaner these days, but...it still may as well be the end of the world. A frontier far beyond civilized lands."

Quirrell, to congratulate the brave adventurers who retrieved the Diadem from where it had been lost to the Ages, offers them a chance to challenge a special scenario, strictly for extra credit.

Does Hermione agree to try it?

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

If she does - who does she partner with?

[ ] Matou
[ ] Ana
[ ] One of the others...

Dracueri
January 8th, 2019, 05:51 PM
[x]Yes
[x]Ana

Skull Leader
January 9th, 2019, 08:16 PM
[x]Yes
[x]Ana

Daiki
January 9th, 2019, 09:23 PM
[x] Yes.
[x] Ana.

alfheimwanderer
January 10th, 2019, 03:02 AM
[x]Yes
[x]Ana

100%

Upon accepting, Hermione discovers that she will be participating in a scenario called the Siege of Hos, in which she and her collaborator, Ana Spencer, would be tasked with leading an assault on a base of insurgents, enemies of justice and order who had waged a campaign of terror across the entire continent. In the wake of their last operation - disrupting a ritual that would have better protected the wizards and witches of Europe against the ravages of those who hated them, as well as outright destroying a center for learning and killing all those within, the magical government has tracked them - at last - to their base on the wintry isle of Hos, and has seen fit to deploy a strike force to end the rebel menace, using any means necessary to restore Order to the chaotic continent.

As one of the Commanders of the grand army, she is tasked with not only capturing the base, but destroying the insurgency with fire and blood, killing or capturing any rebel she finds there. No mercy can be shown, no quarter given - she must make an example of them so that fear will keep the rest in line. To that end, there were those in the army have been tasked with casting anti-Disapparition Jinxes and anti-portkey jinxes to interdict any escape attempts.

The army has several divisions.

Human wizards, clad in black and red, will provide spell support and otherwise serve as the magical backbone of her forces - these are led by a Strike Leader.

Armored trolls and giants will act as living siege units, able to soak up incredible volumes of fire and either attack from range with giant rocks, or move in close to crush enemy fortifications. Their Commander is a human wizard - a Siege Overseer who is particularly good at working with magical beasts and beings.

Dementors, who work together with human saboteurs, meant to sap morale, just as the wizards sow chaos, disrupt enemy defenses, and take advantage of weak points and other such. They are commanded by a Master Saboteur, and include a squad of Infiltrators, particularly capable units skilled at interrogation, the mind arts, and operating under stealth.

All of these are overseen by the Assault Commander, whose task is to coordinate the overall strategic situation from the air, managing available forces and deploying them to meet enemy movements, while ensuring that all objectives are met.
The lack of air units in this army is mostly due to the blizzard, though it is also partially due to Hos being blockaded by broom-riders, in case any rebels should flee more conventionally.

Which position does Hermione wish to take?

[ ] Assault Commander
[ ] Siege Overseer
[ ] Master Saboteur
[ ] Strike Leader

Dracueri
January 10th, 2019, 09:00 AM
[x]Strike Leader

Daiki
January 10th, 2019, 02:16 PM
Hermione is too shy for leadership roles at this point. Sabotage it is;

[x] Master Saboteur.

Skull Leader
January 12th, 2019, 05:55 AM
[x] Master Saboteur

alfheimwanderer
January 13th, 2019, 04:59 PM
[x] Master Saboteur

100%

Currently, dementors are on standby, while the saboteurs get to work on the barrier protecting the rebel fortress. It is an admittedly impressive piece of work, capable of hiding those within from those who do not already know they are there, or of repelling the assaults of a fairly large number of assailants. But you bring with you not merely a squad or a platoon. You have an army, with dedicated saboteurs - cursebreakers who have honed their craft against other terrorist hideouts, or against the strongholds of goblins and others who resisted the new order - and can bring down their barrier.

Your human lieutenant, a girl you think might be named Parkinson, gives you two options.

The saboteurs can either gradually wear away at it over the course of about half an hour and sap its strength slowly, or they can deploy various spell anchors and try to have it down in five. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages - the first will certainly be safest for the saboteurs, but gives the enemy time to prepare for an assault they know is coming; the second gives them almost no time, but with a barrier of this size and power, risks an...explosive...outcome.

"What is your will, commander?"

Which approach would Hermione like to take?

[ ] Slow and Safe
[ ] Quick and brutal
[ ] Consult the Assault Commander

And what about the dementors?

[ ] Send them in as soon as the barrier falls
[ ] Hold them in reserve - their morale effects could be useful in crippling the enemy

Daiki
January 13th, 2019, 10:55 PM
[x] Consult the Assault Commander.
[x] Hold them in reserve - their morale effects could be useful in crippling the enemy.

Dracueri
January 14th, 2019, 12:41 AM
[x]Consult the Assault Commander
[x]Hold them in reserve-their morale effects could be useful in crippling the enemy

alfheimwanderer
January 19th, 2019, 12:07 AM
Shields: [x]Consult the Assault Commander
Dementors: [x]Hold them in reserve-their morale effects could be useful in crippling the enemy

100%

In the Great Hall of Hogwarts, the entirety of the First Years had been assembled for a special gathering, courtesy of the Defense Professor, Quirinus Quirrell. Or rather, they had been asked to remain following dinner, though none of them knew why - only that it must be important, as he wouldn't have interrupted their normal routine otherwise.

"I suppose you're all wondering why I've gathered you here..." the man in question drawled as he stood before them, his black robes billowing behind him dramatically, even in the absence of any wind. "At least, those of you who are present. Can anyone tell me who is absent?"

There was some murmuring as people looked around, with Pansy Parkinson quickly raising her hand.

"Yes, Miss Parksinson?"

"Malfoy is missing, and some of the other Slytherins too," the brunette called out, with the Defense Professor nodding.

"One point to Ravenclaw for being so attentive," the man noted warmly, a hint of a smile crossing his face. "Indeed, Mister Malfoy and a number of his companions are missing tonight - but don't worry, they aren't far away." His smile widened as he withdrew a book from his robes - titled the Book of Spells, a book that most of those present flinched at the sight of.

They remembered the scenario that the Professor had put them through, after all - involving a Hogwarts that had been overrun by the living dead, with the corridors slick with blood and creatures of nightmare lurking around every turn.

"Tonight, your colleagues - those intrepid first years who discovered the Lost Diadem of Ravenclaw, have volunteered to take on a special challenge, one that will test their cunning, their courage, their wits, and their loyalty to one another." He tapped on the cover of the book, opening it as dozens of images appeared in the air before them, with five in particular showing the adventurers in question, each of whom were engaged in a different task. "You see, unknown to them, they have been split into two groups - one of which is tasked with defending the isle of Hos - and the other, charged with taking it, with each one taking on one of several command roles. It will of course be a terrible, brutal affair, given that one group has been told that the base is full of terrorists, while the other has been told that the army attacking them has been sent by a terrible Dark Lord, but that just makes it more fun, doesn't it?"

He grinned.

"You, on the other hand, can see what is happening to both sides, without being charged with commanding either," the man uttered with some amusement. "But...I do not want you to be left out of the suspense - or to feel that I am offering them and them alone a special opportunity. I have given them a chance to improve their grades, and so I want to give you an opportunity to improve your standing as well - though not your individual standing,"

The students looked around in confusion at what he could mean.

"You are aware of the House Cup, and how this is dependent on House Points, yes?" the Professor asked, with the students suddenly sitting up straighter. "Yes, there is an opportunity for you to win House Points tonight, depending on how they do. I assume you are all curious?"

The students nodded as a flock of paper birds appeared in midair, with one flying to each of them and unfolding itself.

"Simply put, you may bet House Points on how each team will do...and on who the traitor is." Quirrell paused, raising an eyebrow as someone's face scrunched up in confusion. "Yes, Mister Weasley?"

"What do you mean a traitor?"

"Ah? Did I not mention that part?" the man asked in a faux innocent manner. "One of the people on each side may be a traitor."

"...but one side only has two people!" Miss Parkinson blurted out, "Unless...you mean any of the other commanders?"

Quirrell smiled.

"Perhaps - but if so...which one?" he asked pleasantly. "In any case, you may write down your bets - and should you jointly wish, you can vote to take control of one of the commanders, that you may help one side or the other collectively. So you know, Miss Granger is the Master Saboteur of the Imperial Forces, while Miss Spencer is their Siege Overseer. On the side of the Rebels, Mister Malfoy is the Wing Commander, Miss Moore is Base Commander, and Mister Matou is Logistics Coordinator."

100%

Returning to Hermione's perspective, Assault Commander, a young woman named Eltnum, recommended a slow and steady approach, as it would take time to deploy troops around the barrier and a quick and brutal collapse risked injury to their own forces. Hermione agreed, since she was cautious by nature, only only minutes after she sent them out...the barrier collapsed explosively, roiling outward in a storm of force that wiped out her initial squad of saboteurs, while Draco Malfoy led a squad of broom riders forward close on its heels, lobbing vials of bottled fiendfyre down upon the army below.

What will Hermione do?

[ ] Send out dementors - they can disorient the enemy forces while others snipe the broom riders
[ ] Try to rally those left of her saboteurs
[ ] Contact the Strike Leader and fall back

Daiki
January 19th, 2019, 03:02 AM
[x] Try to rally those left of her saboteurs.

More infiltration for us. Let the other commanders deal with the siege.

Dracueri
January 20th, 2019, 01:51 PM
[x]Try to rally those left of her saboteurs.

Skull Leader
January 21st, 2019, 06:50 PM
[X] Send out dementors - they can disorient the enemy forces while others snipe the broom riders

Now is the time to attack. Given that they do not have any plan defenses. Once this line falls they got nothing.

alfheimwanderer
January 21st, 2019, 07:40 PM
[x]Try to rally those left of her saboteurs.

100%

Even as inexperienced as she was, even as little as she knew about leadership, war or other things, Hermione Granger could feel that this was a pivotal moment. If she - if the forces assigned to her - broke here, the fear and uncertainty they felt would spread to her allies. And then it wouldn't matter that she was in the right, or that their forces outnumbered those of the terrorists. She had to rally her saboteurs - whatever was left of them - somehow.

"To me!" she cried out, using her wand to launch a series of red sparks into the air. "To me!"

Her small figure was overlooked by the broom-riders, already past her and looking for larger masses of troops to drop their bottled hellfire upon, but it drew the notice of a handful of shaken survivors, looking for some sort of direction.

"Ma'am, what do we do?"

Hermione had never counted herself as particularly brave or particularly daring, but...

"We move in, under the cover of the blizzard and the fighting," she ordered.

"Ma'am? Are you...sure?" one of them quavered. "But what about...?"

"I'll have the dementors crowd around our main forces, since they're a fair bit more noticeable, but the broom riders can't kill them. We though...we have invisibility cloaks. We can sneak in."

"...yes, Ma'am."

With that, the much reduced company faded from sight, heading towards the distant fortress.

As they draw near, they see a great fortress carved out of ice, looming out of the night. It is a mountain, with battlements armed by dozens, if not hundreds of people, and what look like trebuchets high above, lobbing great orbs of fire towards the army in the distance.

Towards one side of the mountain, a great set of doors is open, with a line of magic carpets streaming out in single file.

What is the plan of the Saboteur division?

[ ] (write-in)

Daiki
January 21st, 2019, 08:37 PM
[x] Aim to cut off the rebel's escaping route - closing and disabling this set of doors should do the trick.