PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Special/Adventures

In-N-Out Double-Double & Animal Fries
July 28th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I know at least 4 people on this forum have read all of it that's been released so far yet there's no discussion thread for anything pokemon related beyond the Black and White thread

So what do you guys think of the manga?

I can't find any translation beyond that which mangareader has and they only go up to the roulette battle in Platinum and a couple chapters of Black and White.

What I REALLY want to see is the HGSS arc. Gold vs Arceus ftmfw

Optimus
July 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I think that Pokémon Special is how the anime should have been. And I think that with this, I am expressing the opinion of the vast majority here.

MZeroX
July 28th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Best. Fucking. Pokemon. Rendition. Ever.

That being said, Black and White saga is supposedly a different series than the rest of PokeSpe. So if they include Black and White with the rest of the manga, they're doing it wrong.

Either way, yeah, want more scanslations post volume 38.

July 28th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I'm a little disappointed that there wasn't a little more teamwork between Red and Gold during that last battle. there was the thing with Poliwrath and Politoad but that was it. And they even pointed out how they knew each other's styles perfectly due to their time on Mt. Silver.

Also, I totally think they should make OVA movies out of these

MZeroX
July 28th, 2011, 07:01 PM
OVA movies? how many, 20? well, that's a little much, but one or two per arc/generation seems appropriate. and expensive, if they don't want to incur the eternal wrath of real pokemon fans everywhere.

i personally think that while OVA production values can reach the appropriate levels, the way that the characters and story are intertwined would make a long-running TV series more appropriate.

Optimus
July 28th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Why OVAs? They should make an anime based on it... Only problem is that the "main" series would be overshadowed by the awesome, that's why they ain't doing it.

mangafreak7793
July 28th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Still on diamond and pearl, waiting for translated scans.

MZeroX
July 28th, 2011, 07:05 PM
DP arc is fully scanslated. Platinum arc isn't easily accessible, though.

^^"main", huh. Shitty time paradox anime is shitty. Do you know what they should do? Kill Satoshi, have Celebi fail at saving him creating an alternate universe that is PokeSpe anime.

Blue
July 28th, 2011, 07:20 PM
DP arc is fully scanslated. Platinum arc isn't easily accessible, though.

^^"main", huh. Shitty time paradox anime is shitty. Do you know what they should do? Kill Satoshi, have Celebi fail at saving him creating an alternate universe that is PokeSpe anime.

I'd be totally down for that. PokeSpe now clouds my judgement of anything pokemon. And thus far, nothing really stands up to its awesome.

keeper13
July 28th, 2011, 07:21 PM
I read the series when I was around Middle School.

I always wonder "why can they make a show like this?" I really enjoy reading the manga, even how they got the player characters and the rivals (plus 2 original characters) from each Generation as the main characters.

Right now, I'm still waiting for some updates of Platinum chapter and BW chapter.

MZeroX
July 28th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Can't decide if Ruby-Sapphire arc or FireRed-LeafGreen arc was my favorite of the finished arcs.

July 28th, 2011, 07:36 PM
FRLG was my favorite

also, there can be one pokemon related thing greater than PokeSpe

in the games, that moment you find out Red is on Mt. Silver and you go to challenge him. that once moment can only be expressed one way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mK0xyRL1A-k

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAAH

Blue
July 28th, 2011, 07:44 PM
FRLG was my favorite

also, there can be one pokemon related thing greater than PokeSpe

in the games, that moment you find out Red is on Mt. Silver and you go to challenge him. that once moment can only be expressed one way

*clipped vid*

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW YEAAAAAAAAAAAH

But I find that awesome cuz I keep imagining the PokeSpe characters in the game... So its PokeSpe awesome by extension?

Alulim
July 28th, 2011, 08:02 PM
Al has read all that has been translated. Indeed.

Katie
July 28th, 2011, 09:56 PM
SPECIAL.

This is the best Pokemon manga ever and Reburst or whatever that is can go screw itself.

August 2nd, 2011, 02:28 PM
SPECIAL.

This is the best Pokemon manga ever and Reburst or whatever that is can go screw itself.

Reburst?

Aladar
August 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
Special is eleven different levels of awesome. And Gold is totally my fave protagonist ever.

Also, awesomeness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iF1yjnFObk).

Blue
August 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
Red Blue and Green are my personal favourites. They totally give off the capable mature senpai vibes. Barring that, YELLOW IS ADORABLE. And you know... INSTA POWERUP POKEMON NOW SUPER AWESOME battle over now cute and cuddly again. Yellow doesn't raise pokemon, she has digimon.

Aladar
August 3rd, 2011, 07:44 PM
Too bad some of the big bads from the FR/LG arc just refuse to stay down...

And Giovanni has to start double-checking his admins' backgrounds.

keeper13
August 3rd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Also, awesomeness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iF1yjnFObk).

Hey, I saw that video before! It's one of my favorite pokesupe AMV videos, and this one is my second favorite video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeh-sWUsCrY).

Aladar
August 3rd, 2011, 08:07 PM
This one is awesome, too. I could very well see it as an extended opening to a Special anime.

And PokeSupe would be a way better anime than the current one, considering that the creator himself has stated that Special is the truest to the world of Pokémon he imagined. Even the games don't leave out some of the grizzly stuff while the anime is way too merchandise driven.

keeper13
August 3rd, 2011, 08:16 PM
Totally agreeing with you.

When I first read the manga, and after finishing it, I went "... Why can't they make this an ANIME?!"

Pokemon Special: EPIC all the way!!!

Aladar
August 3rd, 2011, 08:25 PM
And besides, where else can we see a Charmeleon cutting an Arbok in two?

August 13th, 2011, 12:26 PM
It updated, woo!

mangafreak7793
August 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM
^ Where?!

August 13th, 2011, 02:47 PM
Mangareader.net

July 23rd, 2012, 12:03 AM
Well, all of DPPt is online now, what say you guys?

Also, last few pages of the DPPt arc epic or what?

celsius
July 23rd, 2012, 02:29 AM
SPOILERS~

I loved the R/G/B arc.

The rest, I'm largely unhappy with. Let's start from the top.

First, now, like I said, I loved the R/G/B arc. I was a bit unhappy with how they arbitrarily decided to turn half the Gym Leaders evil, but eh, it creates drama and it's not like the original games had anything resembling a story so it all works out. Why IS Sabrina evil all the time anyway? She's a pacifist in the games. But anyway, yeah, it was fun, had a well put-together atmosphere. Admittedly, some of the mechanics were pretty stupid, such as Giovanni's "I AM A BETTER TRAINER THAN YOU BECAUSE I CAN SEND MY POKEMON OUT QUICKER ALSO I BROKE YOUR POKEBALLS BECAUSE THAT'S TOTALLY A VALID TACTIC". But that's minor and I GUESS it makes sense, but still. It just felt so... Petty. BUT WHATEVER, despite my minor gripes, I loved this arc. I do have qualms about what they did to Green though. In the games, he at least had a personality. In Special, he's completely flat. This is actually kinda hilarious to me, considering just how little in the way of characterization the Gen I games had. I did love Blue though, she was great. Full of personality and generally fun all around. Definitely one of my favourite characters throughout the series.

Next is the Yellow arc. The primary problem I have with this arc is Yellow herself, particularly with her blatant Mary Sue qualities. Before anyone counters me on this point, take a look at her primary traits: She's a love interest of the preceding protagonist, she possesses unique abilities that none of the other protagonists possess. I mean, just look at those abilities: She can read Pokemons' minds, heal them at will and she can make her Pokemon as strong as the situation requires, greatly boosting their levels depending on her emotional status. Also, she doesn't really possess an especially interesting personality, at least to me. But despite all that, I was pretty intrigued by the whole "Red's missing, we have to find him" plotline, since I love mysteries. Too bad that particular plotline ended on such a lame note. Red just shows up in the middle of the final battle without much in the way of buildup. "OH HEY GUYS I WAS MISSING FOR A WHILE BUT NOW I'M BACK NOW LET'S BATTLE BRUNO." Yeah, okay, whatever. Also Substitute does not work that way and surfing on lava DOES NOT WORK WHY DO YOU DO THIS. But I'm willing to forgive that last part because it's a children's series, and lava is basically just really hot water and convection doesn't exist. But I was still pretty dissatisfied with this arc as a whole. And Lance is the most generic and bland ecoterrorist ever.

G/S/C wasn't really much better to me, honestly. Gold wasn't too bad of a protagonist, I guess, but Silver was absolutely dull. He was basically Green 2.0. Crystal was also a complete yawn-fest. "Oh no, I couldn't catch Suicune, now I'm gonna MOPE." I honestly thought she was completely unnecessary. But, above all, the thing I was most unhappy with was the main villain, Mask of Ice, or as he's better known as, Pryce. He was a jerk who went about kidnapping kids, brainwashing them, nearly murdering some other kids and then tried to rape the space/time continuum. Not a very nice person. BUT OH WAIT, all this time he was just trying to reunite his Lapras with its parents, who had died years ago! That's why he did all those terrible things! That clearly makes him a sympathetic character, right!? ... No. No it doesn't. The author does not know how to write sympathetic villains. At all. In the process of trying to reunite a single baby Lapras with its dead parents, you kidnapped at least four children from their homes, away from THEIR parents, brainwashing or otherwise utterly traumatizing them and basically ruined several lives. You also nearly killed at least two other children. You're a terrible person and I don't feel any pity at all for you after you get lost forever in limbo. That entire ark left a bad taste in my mouth.

And then let's head into the Ruby/Sapphire arc. I honestly like this arc a lot better than the preceding two. Ruby is a well-written character with superb development, and I thoroughly enjoyed watching his growth throughout the story. Sapphire... not so much. She's a wild girl, I get it, but honestly, she has a lot less substance than Ruby. Also, while Ruby's initially shallow behavior is mitigated by the sheer amount of development he went through, Sapphire clearly got the short end of the stick. Honestly, I had no interest in her journey whatsoever. Also, that whole "MY SIXTH POKEMON IS CELEBI AND I'M GONNA USE IT TO DEUS EX MACHINA AWAY ALL THE BAD THINGS THAT HAPPENED" was dumb and super-dumb. But Ruby was great, easily the best part of the whole thing. I kinda liked Wally too, but like many other characters in this series, I felt that his role was shoehorned in just because he happened to be a semi-important characters in the games. Norman is a horrible father. The villains, Archie and Maxie were utterly worthless, probably the least notable villains to have ever graced this series.

FireRed/LeafGreen arc was okay for the most part. The spotlight was primarily on Red, while Green played support and Blue didn't actually do much of anything at all. Okay fine, I'll accept that. I love Blue, and I'm disappointed she didn't get a larger role, but I'll accept it. Yellow was kinda just shoehorned in because she's RED'S PRIMARY LOVE INTEREST so why not. Mewtwo was pretty neat, even if it did kinda appear outta nowhere and had a really lame excuse for being there, but I'm surprisingly okay with it. Primarily because it had a pretty great role throughout the thing. So as a result, the reason Giovanni is such a terrible excuse for a human being is because Pryce, in his efforts to ruin as many lives as possible, kidnapped his son, who turns out to be Silver. In order to find his son, Giovanni created a huge terrorist group, played God and harassed Red as much as he possibly could, going so far as to play around with Red's DNA. Because he's a wonderful father. Still, he had a pretty neat moment at the end when he and Silver were surrounded by fire, and he protected Silver by holding him up in the air while he got burned. That was nice. It just goes to show that even horrible human beings love their kids. ... And then Red, Green, Blue and Yellow got turned to stone, setting up what could potentially be an interesting plotline.

... Heh.

SO, the Emerald arc. Emerald himself, much like his predecessor OC, is a Mary Sue. Pokemon automatically love him, even if he treats them like crap, and for some reason, two legendaries Latios and Latias love following him around. Honestly, even if Yellow had ridiculous superpowers, I at least found her tolerable. Emerald is kinda painful to take in. He's an orphan who got made fun of because he was short, and he used to have Pokemon help him out, but decided he hated them when he felt inadequate. Great. The main villain this time is... Archie! Again! And just like before, he's still completely lame, and also apparently murdered Maxie prior to the arc. Kinda dark there, but okay. Honestly, I find him almost as bad as Pryce. Anyway, as it turns out, this whole ordeal was to revive the Gen I protagonists using Jirachi's Deus Ex Machina wish-granting powers. ... Yeah that was... really underwhelming. Don't think having all the starters use their elemental Hyper Beams +Volt Tackle appeases me in the slightest. You can't save a lame ending to what could have been something more with flash and flare.

And then I attempted to get into the D/P/Pt but it bored me so much that I abandoned it like ten chapters in. You know the author's running out of ideas when his idea of "humour" is to dedicate a page per chapter entirely to stand-up tsukkomi.

Honestly, me being critical of this series may seem laughable, mainly because I'm a fan of the animated show, and most western and a good number of Japanese fans seem to believe that this series is significantly superior to the show, which I can understand. But there's just way too much I don't like about Special, whereas the animated series doesn't offend my senses nearly as often.

The primary reason I wrote this wall of text was to be contrary. Just FYI. :)

Alulim
July 23rd, 2012, 03:29 AM
Wow, you had quite a bit to say.

I will agree to disagree on many points in there, but much of what you said is certainly valid.

mangafreak7793
July 23rd, 2012, 03:35 AM
Wow, you had quite a bit to say.

I will agree to disagree on many points in there, but much of what you said is certainly valid.

I agree with the deer here.

July 23rd, 2012, 04:17 AM
On R/S, Ruby charging into battle holding both orbs was pretty freaking badass

Also, D/P/Pt picks up real fast around the time the bombs detonate. TBH, I like Dia a lot, he's laid back and seems kinda incompetent except he's got that hidden wisdom and knows exactly what he's doing.

also
Draco Meteor ambush was badass

Apple
July 26th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Over here, the translation company named Green Blue and named Blue Green. So our Blue was Gary, and our Green was the chick.

celsius
July 26th, 2012, 12:39 PM
I originally read the Korean translation, in which Green and Blue kept their Japanese names. For some reason, Red had Ash's Korean equivalent name, though, yet I call him Red anyway.

Sayo
December 9th, 2014, 07:32 AM
japan finally arrived at the ORAS arc and the only question of everyone is just: "are sapphires new clothes red or blue"

LJ3
December 9th, 2014, 12:34 PM
Already?

Aren't the English translations for B/W just finished and we've only gotten B/W2?

Rafflesiac
December 9th, 2014, 01:48 PM
There's a giant hole in the B/W translations for some stupid reason.

I don't know how far the B2/W2 translations got, and I don't think the X/Y translations got very far either.

- - - Updated - - -

But Japan did recently start their OR/AS arc.

Sayo
December 9th, 2014, 02:21 PM
ironically VIZ will release volume 1 of XY next month. but this strange slim volumes like they did for BW again.

daigo/steven didn't look much older in the ORAS arc. goodbye my hopes for this arc to take place after the events of the HGSS arc. goodbye second dexholder reunion. goodbye adult green

LJ3
December 9th, 2014, 02:57 PM
That's sad to know.

Maybe there's still a time-skip, it's only just started.

Sayo
December 9th, 2014, 04:31 PM
don't think so. because they already wear the new clothes

Daigo
https://31.media.tumblr.com/863324227ecec9fb64591d74b0ebf4b3/tumblr_ng7t35Tp9Q1rs3b4oo2_r1_1280.png

Sapphire
https://33.media.tumblr.com/bff4e88831890b193b6328cb6fb9a17b/tumblr_ng6x2iFWqb1rs3b4oo1_500.png

Ruby
https://38.media.tumblr.com/7d8eb17313d0fc3ebc140a988746e8cc/tumblr_ng6xikQ7zv1rs3b4oo1_500.png

Rafflesiac
December 9th, 2014, 05:51 PM
Sapphire angry at Ruby for getting along with Lisia?

I like.

Sayo
December 9th, 2014, 06:22 PM
as expected her knew clothes are ruby's fault.

and ....

berserker sapphire confirmed
http://www11.pic-upload.de/09.12.14/zj6bw5716w53.png