PDA

View Full Version : Out of Whack for 2 Years

Bargadiel
August 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Hey all, so I've always been into anime yet for the past couple years or so I haven't really watched anything new (you can blame Type-Moon and Touhou for that). I'm aware of the new shows since I lurk on boards and forums alot, and look at the season lineups, but I just haven't watched anything new. The newest show I've watched, was Bakemonogatari (loved it), and so I'm looking for shows to watch now. I'm not the biggest fan of shows about 4 girls going to school and eating etc, although I did like Azumanga, Haruhi, and Lucky Star. Right now I am downloading Panty and Stocking, Madoka, and Eden of the East since I never finished watching it.

So any suggestions? I like action stuff, but I'll be looking up info on whatever and I might be interested. I enjoy things that are obviously well animated :)

Blue
August 12th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Katanagatari was good. Same author as Bakemonogatari. That immediately jumped to mind. Haruhi movie if you haven't seen it is great. I'm watching FMA Brotherhood now. Its a solid series. What else... Oh I also recently watched Angel Beats. That was better than I expected.

Bargadiel
August 12th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Ahh yeah forgot about Angel Beats, I also had those in mind too. Sweet.

In-N-Out Double-Double & Animal Fries
August 12th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Puella Magi Madoka Magica

also, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Revy
August 12th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Casshern Sins. It's an older show, but I enjoyed it. Also, if you've yet to watch Gundam 00, I recommend that as well.

Alulim
August 12th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Al will second Casshern Sins, along with Katanagatari.

Though it is still airing, Gundam Unicorn is a must-see.

Theocrass
August 12th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Legend of the Legendary Heroes.

Spice and Wolf.

Revy
August 12th, 2011, 02:10 PM
Add Code Geass to the list. The character design was not my favorite; however, the plot makes it a must see.

mangafreak7793
August 12th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Baka to test.

xm0123
August 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Definitely see Eden of the East. Very captivating series. Also, don't forget my own personal favorite animes if you haven't seen them already, (Eureka Seven, Death Note, Princess Tutu, Rebuild of Evangelion, and Ghibli movies.) Also, though I haven't seen Madoka (yet, since I would prefer to not watch anime fansubbed), I've had two friends recommend that to me, so maybe you might like that too.

Can't agree with the recs for Spice and Wolf and Angel Beats, though. I didn't like either of them, but you could still watch them if you want.

However, do. NOT. Watch Code Geass . . . actually, you could still watch CG if you want, but I'll warn you right now; the only way you could enjoy CG is if you watch it, then go on an Angry Joe-esque rant over how horrible it is. Be sure to medicate yourself with a lot of ethanol if you're gonna attempt that.

Alulim
August 12th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Code Geass is an opinion, some people like it...others don't. Don't let anyone else's opinion colour your own.

Same with Spice&Wolf.

But go for any Ghibli movies with all the gusto you can manage, they are art.

ItsaRandomUsername
August 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Ga-Rei Zero.

StarDriver

Durarara!!/Baccano! (anime based on light novels written by same author)

Darker Than BLACK

Five_X
August 12th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Ga-Rei Zero, seconded, thirded and also fourthded, because it's that great.

I am a Ghibli cynic. I have enjoyed exactly one Studio Ghibli movie, and even then it wasn't by Miyazaki. Though that guy's beard is simply glorious.

mangafreak7793
August 12th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Ga-Rei Zero, seconded, thirded and also fourthded, because it's that great.

I am a Ghibli cynic. I have enjoyed exactly one Studio Ghibli movie, and even then it wasn't by Miyazaki. Though that guy's beard is simply glorious.

I'm on the fence on this since I originally read the manga so it was more or less a prequel for me.

Arashi_Leonhart
August 12th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Bakuman. Same creators as Death Note, but mocking many Shounen tropes while talking about the manga industry.

Toaru Majutsu no Index/Toaru Kagaku no Railgun. The latter especially, as it has four girls going out after school to eat. And then kick ass.

Movie: Summer Wars. Period. See it.

Also supporting Madoka, Angel Beats!, Darker Than Black, Baccano!, Durarara!!, and Geass.

ItsaRandomUsername
August 12th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Seconding Toaru as well.

Also, what about Steins;Gate? IT HAS SCIENCE AND AWESOME

eddyak
August 13th, 2011, 01:26 AM
Tsukihime anime.

Because troll

In-N-Out Double-Double & Animal Fries
August 13th, 2011, 02:22 AM
There's a tsukihime anime?

Chaos Greyblood
August 13th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Get some classics like some of the old Gundam series, Nanoha, X/1999 and Fist of the North Star if you need sheer manliness to carry you through your darkest days.

Aladar
August 13th, 2011, 04:26 AM
I recommend Code Geass, Baccano! and Durarara!, Darker Than Black, A Certain Magical Index, A Certain Scientific Railgun and Gundam 00.

Bargadiel
August 13th, 2011, 04:35 AM
Longtime Eva fan and I've seen Gurren Lagann of course, and Spice and Wolf, although I haven't seen the second season. I've also seen Higurashi but haven't taken a look at it's new show either, Umineko was it? I'm into gundam but not anything that isn't UC related. I've really been into Unicorn lately though, and can't wait for the next movie this October.

Also took a look at Code Geass, wasn't my thing for some reason D: I've heard good things about Casshern and will check it out.

Alulim
August 13th, 2011, 04:43 AM
Hmm...am I the only one who recommends Gundam Unicorn?

But I digress, you sir are good for liking it.

Arashi_Leonhart
August 13th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Also took a look at Code Geass, wasn't my thing for some reason D:

Odd, since Geass is essentially "What would Gundam be like from Char Aznable's perspective."

And I love Gundam Unicorn, but I don't necessarily recommend it to people because lots of UC politics that might turn them off.

Alulim
August 13th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Harumph to all those who haven't spent a vast amount of their lifetime to go over the complete Universal Century and all its twists and turns.:neco_arc:

Bargadiel
August 13th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Odd, since Geass is essentially "What would Gundam be like from Char Aznable's perspective."

And I love Gundam Unicorn, but I don't necessarily recommend it to people because lots of UC politics that might turn them off.

Maybe I'll take a better look at Geass then. For some reason when I think about it, I think of the Brady Bunch, an eye, and the voice of the guys who sang the OP song.

Aladar
August 13th, 2011, 05:03 AM
JIBUN WOO~

ItsaRandomUsername
August 13th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Harumph to all those who haven't spent a vast amount of their lifetime to go over the complete Universal Century and all its twists and turns.:neco_arc:

Quoted for truth.