Page 6725 of 7877 FirstFirst ... 57256225662566756715672067236724672567266727673067356775682572257725 ... LastLast
Results 134,481 to 134,500 of 157539

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    i love his OPs
    Patrician.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    Sorry for not being clearer, but my link was for Deathhappens. It's fine if he wants to disagree with the sociopolitical interpretation of Revelations; it's not fine to claim it's a mere "conspiracy theory" that has already been "debunked so many times".
    I was (very clearly, or so I like to think) referring specifically to the notion that the Beast of Revelation refers to Nero, an emperor who at the latest lived more than a decade before Revelations was written and who was succeeded by three others and a number of pretenders in the interim, any of whom would have been equally valid targets for the writer to focus their "anger" on. I even explicitly said I was expecting something different.
    Secondly, as a religious, if not fanatical, Christian and someone who's actually done a pilgrimage to the monastery in Patmos where Revelations was written, I hope I can be allowed a measure of scepticism when someone pops up and says "Nah, it's just political propaganda dude".
    In any case,if that's the way you want to argue ("pearls before swine" indeed!), I think I'm gonna take a page out of the book you claimed to follow and quite simply not argue with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Secondly, as a religious, if not fanatical, Christian and someone who's actually done a pilgrimage to the monastery in Patmos where Revelations was written, I hope I can be allowed a measure of scepticism when someone pops up and says "Nah, it's just political propaganda dude".
    Is it a book of prophecy then?

Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    Is it a book of prophecy then?
    It is *a* book of prophecy, yes.

I'm sure secular study can show all sorts of things about its writing reflecting on the sociopoliticial climate of its time, but that's true of literally all books. They may be divine revelations (according to lowercase orthodox Christian doctrine, at least) but the conduit is still human.
    Last edited by Deathhappens; May 20th, 2018 at 04:03 PM.

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It is *a* book of prophecy, yes.

I'm sure secular study can show all sorts of things about its writing reflecting on the sociopoliticial climate of its time, but that's true of literally all books. They may be divine revelations (according to lowercase orthodox Christian doctrine, at least) but the conduit is still human.
    Just as long as you don't think they're prophecies that were written to describe future events in 21st century America.

Quote Originally Posted by RoydGolden View Post
    Just as long as you don't think they're prophecies that were written to describe future events in 21st century America.
    Well, if the Rapture was around the corner, that would certainly be a whole lot of problems I wouldn't need to deal with anymore...

Blog Entries
    Well, if the Rapture was around the corner, that would certainly be a whole lot of problems I wouldn't need to deal with anymore...
    Look, I kind of like and respect you. Please tell me you're joking and aren't one of those "bible prophecy" nuts who believe in a literal rapture...

As a joking man yourself you'd expect you can at least see a joke when its made

- - - Updated - - -

You'd never see it coming

Therein lies the catch of it though. Its documentary and symbolical value is downplayed by fearmongers, the text is easily manipulable when presented on the surface level, and in my opinion it's not getting the same amount of careful treatment as, say, the problematique parts of the Old Testament are getting. It's considered 'out there' by even religious educators, and this opens up a lot of space for it to be used for nefarious purposes. I may jokingly slice the issue into binaries of either we have the cultbreeding book in the Bible or we boot it out but the reality is you can't slice it like that, it's not so straightforward. I think the deeper approach shouldn't just be restricted to academia, as the best way to combat 21ST CENTURY AND TRUMP USHERING THE SECOND COMING BY OPENING AN EMBASSY IN JERUSALEM CALL THE TOLLFREE NUMBER YOU SEE ON SCREEN.
    Last edited by Snow; May 20th, 2018 at 04:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    As a joking man yourself you'd expect you can at least see a joke when its made
    Sorry. I'm under some stress and am not thinking clearly. I could devote a billion words to justify why my case is totes different but that'd still just come off as hypocritical.

I'll bow out now. Sorry if my words offended anyone.

Well now I feel kinda bad, pretty sure you didn't offend anyone

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zurvan View Post
    Well now I feel kinda bad, pretty sure you didn't offend anyone
    It's okay. I just need to go for a walk and clear my head a little.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    giant human-headed locusts along the way...

so these monstrosities are not dark souls originals?
    learn something new erryday
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post

so these monstrosities are not dark souls originals?
    learn something new erryday
    Quote Originally Posted by Revelations 9:7
    The locusts looked like horses prepared for battle. On their heads they wore something like crowns of gold, and their faces resembled human faces. Their hair was like women’s hair, and their teeth were like lions’ teeth. They had breastplates like breastplates of iron, and the sound of their wings was like the thundering of many horses and chariots rushing into battle. They had tails with stingers, like scorpions, and in their tails they had power to torment people for five months. They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, Destroyer).
    Yep, 100% genuine Bible. They're also featured as enemies in Bayonetta, incidentally.

Look, I kind of like and respect you. Please tell me you're joking and aren't one of those "bible prophecy" nuts who believe in a literal rapture...
    I appreciate that! And no, I'm definitely not a religious nut (jury still out on other types of nut). I just generally dislike fedora-wearing-aren't-we-so-smart-atheists as a matter of principle, i.e. I dislike anyone who purports to be smarter than me.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate that! And no, I'm definitely not a religious nut (jury still out on other types of nut). I just generally dislike fedora-wearing-aren't-we-so-smart-atheists as a matter of principle, i.e. I dislike anyone who purports to be smarter than me.
    That's fair enough. I'm an atheist, and I tend to find the attitude you're describing just as insufferable as anyone. Sorry if my post to you came off as condescending.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    I dislike anyone who purports to be smarter than me.
    You must not like many people, then.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonyViking View Post
    You must not like many people, then.
    Nah, you see, actually smart people know better than to flaunt their superiority. So you could boil it down to "I dislike idiots", really.
    Do try something more original than the mirror dig, please...

I can't correct people on Nasuverse lore, but I can definitely correct people on English usage. I have a piece of paper in a file somewhere that says so.
    mhmm?

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    maybe he likes self schadenfreude
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3