Page 8 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 36789101318581085081008 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    But, are they stored in UBW? There's a difference between his projection being a result of UBW and it actually being done by UBW, after all, and he's canonically shown to be able to use reinforcement pretty well, at least potentially (Archer re-inforces his eyes).
    Reinforcement falls under another Magic Attribute (i.e. a different application of the elements from Projection). In other words, Reinforcement and Projection are not intrinsically related.

Shirou's version of Projection relies on UBW, so if you take away UBW, he cannot project, but he might still able to reinforce.

EDIT:
    This is probably also why Shirou can't "reinforce" Ass Dagger into the Jeweled Sword.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by food View Post
    Shirou's version of Projection relies on UBW, so if you take away UBW, he cannot project, but he might still able to reinforce.
    But, if that's the case, why is Shirou so good at reinforcement? He should be as shitty at that as he is at everything else, whereas in fact it's all that he can actually do initially.

This is probably also why Shirou can't "reinforce" Ass Dagger into the Jeweled Sword.
    No, it's definitely why he can't. As soon as he tries to use alteration on it, he's not using UBW any more, and thus he loses the ability to create such a good copy.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    ^He's good at Reinforcement because of that strange thaumaturgy he uses where he sends his Od into machines to get understanding of them. I think...?
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, that's actually the application of the initial step of Projection: the analysis of the structure of the object. It's mentioned in CM3.

In other words, Shirou is good at Reinforcement because he is good at Projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    But, if that's the case, why is Shirou so good at reinforcement? He should be as shitty at that as he is at everything else, whereas in fact it's all that he can actually do initially.
    This part is fuzzy in my memory so I might lose my cookie for getting it wrong (I think it was discussed (yet again) on the old forum with key pieces of information provided by the "Types" of our forum like arai):

Shirou's Reinforcement, that is, the successful version performed by Shirou, is also an extension of his UBW. He can just barely do the normal version (with a success rate of 1%) as well but it's when he's extending his UBW that he gets his real results. It's a single component of UBW so doing it by itself comes naturally to Shirou when he does it by instinct.

When he tries to do it "the right way" as per Kiritsugu, that's when he gets all screwed up.

One thing that's helpful is to not limit UBW to just "the world inside Shirou". It encompasses more than that as it's the whole of Shirou and his magecraft. Archer wasn't kidding when he said that there's only one magic that Shirou can do.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    According to CM3, it goes something like this:

Shirou's Origin is Sword -> Element becomes Sword -> Sucks at sorceries involving the Five Elements (basically everything Rin does and deems "proper sorcery") -> Develops UBW -> Projection
    As a magus, if your Origin has an exceptionally strong manifestation, your Origin will become your Element. (Which makes a lot of sense, think Araya Souren. I don't think anyone doubts his Element is "Stillness").

Ginger Magus
    Does the 5th war TA always needs to get some 'Servant parts' before gaining the ability to talk and think rationally?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yes, because he wasn't summoned "properly". Zouken fucked around with the system to get him, so until he ate Assassin he wasn't properly formed, I think.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Assassin? You mean Lancer.
    Oh right.

Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Cruor is very nice

No, he ate Assassin too.

Hope Rides With His Godly Ronin/Cowboy Brother In Law

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Guess I forgot. I just remember he was summoned using Assassin's corpse.
    Oh right.

Cruor is very nice

Sorcery or magic? Which is the common one and which is the special one? Different translations have contradicted each other. So, which is correct?
    In Progress: Melty Blood
    Complete: Garden of Sinners, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Tsukihime Plus+Disc, Kagetsu Tohya

Mirror Moon used Sorcery for the special one and Magic for the normal one in FSN, but around here we usually use Magic/True Magic for the special one and Magecraft/Thaumaturgy for the normal one.

The actual Japanese IIRC is "Mahou" for the special one and "Majutsu" for the normal one. Really as small as the difference between "Magic" and "Magical techniques".

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Personally, I would say that you should never refer to true magic as just "magic". Whilst it may be the technically correct word to use, it's just too confusing, especially to newcomers. Hell, even those of us who are aware of the distinction sometimes get lazy and just call the whole lot "magic".

Hmm, I'm wondering how Japanese fandom makes the distinction. "Magic" really is a generic term. I wonder how many people see "Mahoutsukai no Yoru" and think it only refers to regular "magic" instead of True Magic...

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    The actual Japanese IIRC is "Mahou" for the special one and "Majutsu" for the normal one. Really as small as the difference between "Magic" and "Magical techniques".
    Wow, they sure did make it a subtle difference, haha.

I think sorcery fits the special one better. Magic is commonplace all around. However, "mahou" does mean magic... so it's like a stalemate.

Quote Originally Posted by Saradin View Post
    Hmm, I'm wondering how Japanese fandom makes the distinction. "Magic" really is a generic term. I wonder how many people see "Mahoutsukai no Yoru" and think it only refers to regular "magic" instead of True Magic...
    That's true magic? Wow. That makes things more fun. I guess this is where romanji fails, lol.
    In Progress: Melty Blood
    Complete: Garden of Sinners, Fate/stay night, Tsukihime, Tsukihime Plus+Disc, Kagetsu Tohya

Fuckin' chicken grill!!! Kotonoha's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, they're just completely different words in Japanese. "Majutsu" and "mahou". So "mahoutsukai" couldn't refer to a regular magus ("majutsushi") because the magic they use is "majutsu" and not "mahou".

In English it's just a clusterfuck of terms nobody can agree on. Like just pulling some random examples from a single page of TM Wiki:

Majutsu = magecraft.
    Majutsu riron = thaumaturgical theory.
    Majutsu tokusei = sorcery trait.

wat

Blog Entries
    I could be wrong, but I believe the Japanese fandom calls mahou "mahou" and majutsu "majutsu".

Yeah but if I went up to talk to a newbie to the Nasuverse in Japan, and said "Mahou" they probably wouldn't think I meant True Magic, they would just think it's regular "magic". So it's the same trap we fall into, that we can try to be very proper about how we distinguish between "magic" and "magecraft" or "mahou" and "majutsu" but in the end, magic/mahou is very generic.

Blog Entries
    Well, there's not going to be any confusion of terms across various works and sources like there is here. So if they've read enough to see the terms defined (i.e., F/SN), they're not going to have any trouble knowing what you're talking about. If they haven't read enough to see the terms defined, then it's pointless to ask them about it in the first place. It's not like fiction hasn't been using common terms in unique ways since, like, forever. There's only a communication failure if people can read the entire story and still not get what the hell the author was going on about.