Page 7159 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 6159665970597109714971547157715871597160716171647169720972597659 ... LastLast
Results 143,161 to 143,180 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Blog Entries
    in the badass vs thread, probably
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Blog Entries
    I actually remember that one, though not the origins. It’s really old though. Like ‘05-‘06 levels of “back in the day”
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Saber lacks raw power? Compared to what?

Compared to Arc's special power

better than you
    your stats + 1
    , provided by the "unlimited" back up of the Earth

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Hm, true.

Even without that Arc's kind of a big bundle of boom in terms of power compared to any servant when she actually gets some of her strength.

Member of the Ala Iridia MarqFJA87's Avatar
    I suppose nobody knows the answer to my question here?

JP Friend Code
    591286971/Lead
    You're asking about what the relation between the magical energy/mana side of things and the Ether/True Ether side of things is, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon
    The mana of the common era is known as ether, the fifth imaginary element. It is artificial magical energy. Before the common era, when human civilization was yet undeveloped, magical energy was known by another name. True ether. The power that births planets. That which composes heavenly bodies. The fifth theoretical element. This true ether is the very fountainhead that brings gods into existence.
    Ether's the magical energy of nowadays, True Ether's the magical energy of the AoG.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Is Arc's marble phantasm on par with authorities?

JP Friend Code
    No. Authorities = I can do X becuz I have the right to do X, it doesn't matter if X is beyond nature laws. MP = I can make this thing related to nature happen within what is naturally allowed. Two different things.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    I'm talking about MP's effects being authority level. For example Arc being able to create any world she desires should be equal to or stronger than nation building authorities.

Blog Entries
    I mean they are both really strong, but comparing the two isn’t easy because the functions are pretty different. Arc can’t Nero, but lancer could using his lance which is nigh an authority. But using MP arc can kill things lancer can’t and do things he cannot do as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i mean it also depends on the authority

authority over the force of nature would be different in magnitude against, say, authority over tacos
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

JP Friend Code
    591286971/Lead
    Arc's Blut de Spelling on the Moon's mentioned to be an Authority. Off the top of my head I don't think any of her other stuff's explicitly called out like that.

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One forumghost's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Yeah it really depends on how you think of 'stronger'

Lets take a random example.

Arc wants to create say... an Earthquake. She can totally do that. She just has to cause a little tectonic activity and bam, done, easy as.
    Random God with Authority over Earthquakes wants to cause an Earthquake. It just happens, even without tectonic activity.

That is the raw mechanics behind the two abilities.

However, even though Arc can produce an equal or greater effect with her MP then the God of Earthquakes here can with their Authority... If it comes down to it, If the God in question wants there not to be an Earthquake and Arc does, Arc can (as I understand it) use her Marble Phantasm to cause all the tectonic movement she wants and the Ground will just magically stand still because fuck you physics, respect my Authoritah

So even though Arc's ability may be Stronger and Broader then an Authority, it still loses to it.

JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadDemon View Post
    Arc's Blut de Spelling on the Moon's mentioned to be an Authority. Off the top of my head I don't think any of her other stuff's explicitly called out like that.
    Yes, it's a type of Authority entirely based on the relationship between Earth and Moon. That's why you also have the same Sun and Moon relationship that certain sun-type servants demonstrated in there. Moon Cell-based Authority functions more RPG-like.

Blog Entries
    extra couldve been the nasuverse rpg we all wishes for

- - - Updated - - -

actually just release dnd nasuversebrew rule book already

Member of the Ala Iridia MarqFJA87's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LeadDemon View Post
    You're asking about what the relation between the magical energy/mana side of things and the Ether/True Ether side of things is, yeah?
    Yes.

Ether's the magical energy of nowadays, True Ether's the magical energy of the AoG.
    So... Ether and True Ether are both magical energy (maryoku), instead of life energy (seimeiryoku) like Mana and Od are, and thus are converted from the latter? In other words, when Rin channels magical energy for her spells, she's using Ether, while when Medea (who hails from the AoG) does the same, she's using True Ether? What's the explanation for why True Ether is so different from Ether? Were Mana and Od during AoG that much different in quality?

Blog Entries
    magic energy is the umbrella terms of mana and od

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post

authority over the force of nature would be different in magnitude against, say, authority over tacos
    lies
    authority over tacos means authority over Tuesdays

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MarqFJA87 View Post
    Yes.

So... Ether and True Ether are both magical energy (maryoku), instead of life energy (seimeiryoku) like Mana and Od are, and thus are converted from the latter? In other words, when Rin channels magical energy for her spells, she's using Ether, while when Medea (who hails from the AoG) does the same, she's using True Ether? What's the explanation for why True Ether is so different from Ether? Were Mana and Od during AoG that much different in quality?
    Quote Originally Posted by plus period
    Magical Energy
    An essential element for invoking magecraft. Also known as the primordial animus, and life itself.
    It is broadly divided into two types: the greater magical energy (mana), which is the breath of the planet filling the world and nature, and the lesser magical energy (od), which is possessed by living beings (humans).
    Quote Originally Posted by plus period
    魔術を発動させる為の要素。原初の生命力とも、命そのものとも言われる。
    世界、自然に満ちた星の息吹たる大魔力(マナ)と、生命(人間)が持つ小魔力(オド)とに分類 される。
    "Then I'll start off with something simple.
    You know that magical energy is what you need to use magic, right? You can actually refer to anything that can activate magic as 'magical energy'.
    There's an infinite variety of magical energy.

There are some that perform magic using their force of will, and there are some that that use magic by paying a price other than themselves.
    You know this much, right?"
    Like I've said before, this emphasis on "life energy being converted into magical energy" and trying to parse converted as an absolute change of state is not a hill you should die on.
    Last edited by You; May 26th, 2019 at 07:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.