Page 7237 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 6237673771377187722772327235723672377238723972427247728773377737 ... LastLast
Results 144,721 to 144,740 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Just so we're clear, are you seriously trying to say that Gawain calling Nero the Whore of Babylon is actual foreshadowing of her being the Whore of Babylon and not a joke?
    I mean duh
    Actually how is it even a joke, he’s just, like, seriously calling her that

JP Friend Code
    That BB profile's "this is a digression" is Nasu's classic "imma drop the hint here so I can point to it later". Not to mention Nero is capable of cancelling Manaka's Beast authority. The whole thing only caught people's attention later one when Beast stuffs are revealed in FGO. But set up for that happened way b4 FGO. Beast also popped up in Extra and this scene from the 2005 game scenario by Nasu. Tamamo is calling Manaka a Beast candidate (then right after that Nero did her thing to completely nullified Manaka):

Loli Sakura turning boss (Kama) were also in there.

Blog Entries
    there is no such thing as foreshadowing until it is percieved retroactively in the light of that which was (notionally) to be foreshadowed. since Human Evil Nero Beast Whore Advent Babylon IV/XD has yet to appear in anything there is in no sense any 'foreshadowing' of it whatsoever, jokes or otherwise

and honestly what does it matter. there is no longer any pretense that it's otherwise. if they want Beast Nero to happen - which is to say, if they think that there's money to be made in getting idiot children to fake gamble for fake jpegs of a new Nero design with bigger tits and more sultry dialogue (which there absolutely would be, though not necessarily more money than there would be in doing something else, which is the essence of the calculation) - then you can be assured that the 'lore', such as it is, will obsequiously shift to accommodate her.
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six SpoonyViking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zork Knight View Post
    Abigail-Sothoth is the end result of the reenacted trials, not the cause of it.
    Isn't that what I said?

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daiki View Post
    Spoiler:
    General Fundamentals - As the name implies you study basics there. Newcomers at the Tower start spending few years there before picking another faculty.

Individual Fundamentals - Probably where you go if you have a highly specialized or unique magecraft.

Spiritual Evocation - Spirits obviously (including heroes) but also necromancy. And demons, like stuff Kaie and Crown use.

Mineralogy - Name should be tell you enough.

Zoology - Magical Beasts go there.

Lore / Tradition - Same.

Botany - Same.

Astronomy - Same.

Creation - Crafting goes there.

Curses - Duh.

Archeology - Universal studies here.

Modern Theories - Duh.

Law - The ones who come for you if you break the rules. They try to keep a certain level of order, on paper.
    The Department of Lore is IIRC where the stuff that's weird even by Clock Tower standards go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Blog Entries
    You're gonna find some disturbing shit about rituals and other customs if you go back enough.

Merem and Angra come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    The Department of Lore is IIRC where the stuff that's weird even by Clock Tower standards go.
    Or if you are even more problematic than that you get the Gazamy treatment

So, i just saw a video translation of the Kiara final boss scene, where it says that she took over the mooncell core.

Just so we are clear, is that any different to what BB did to the core in order to acquire her reality warping powers inside the Seraph?

JP Friend Code
    There is no difference in term of what it is. You simply gain admin rights to use the alien super computer to your liking, that's it. Several other characters did that as well i.e Sakura, Hakuno, the Tamamo 9.

If there is any difference, that is Kiara herself already grown much stronger than BB in demon bodhisattva form, so she became omnipotent upon acquiring the power and can use more of its power than the rest.

Blog Entries
    It’s not like admin powers make you go mad with power though

HAHAHAhAHahahahahahAHAHATAIGaTAigataThischairThisT AigaYouLoveIt!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird of Hermes View Post
    The moment the opportunity arises for a pun, the one known as 'Taiga's Knight' will be there to deliver whether you like it or not.

Blog Entries
    Well, as long as you don't force orgasm on all of us, you're probably doing okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Emilio View Post
    There is no difference in term of what it is. You simply gain admin rights to use the alien super computer to your liking, that's it. Several other characters did that as well i.e Sakura, Hakuno, the Tamamo 9.

If there is any difference, that is Kiara herself already grown much stronger than BB in demon bodhisattva form, so she became omnipotent upon acquiring the power and can use more of its power than the rest.
    Out of curiosity, is anyone besides BB noted as having had to go through that one 8 dimensional wall?

Additionally, what was it that Tamamo told Kiara? "Get off my seat"?

Would that be in refference to being a Budha, being a god or something else?

Also, was Kiara aiming for True Demon status originally or Budha status?

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    Out of curiosity, is anyone besides BB noted as having had to go through that one 8 dimensional wall?
    Tamamo with a kick I think
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Tamamo with a kick I think
    Ah yes, the usual "fuck you that is why" trademark excuse of hers

US Friend Code
    Well I mean, she did do some training for a 1000 years and gained back all her tails to do that, so that would be her effort
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by fire_mountain_30 View Post
    Additionally, what was it that Tamamo told Kiara? "Get off my seat"?

Would that be in refference to being a Budha, being a god or something else?
    I assume it has something to do with the fact that Kiara's sect kinda sorta worships Tamamo. It's complicated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

JP Friend Code
    US Friend Code
    Thank you very much! Since making my post, I've gone and read what has been translated of El-Melloi Case Files. I'm glad I did, because it has explained things much better than just the manga, and has a great number of details. Your post was extremely helpful! Also, thank you Lily, for your response as well!!

- - - Updated - - -

The only thing I still have an issue grasping, exactly, is what falls under Magic and what falls under Magecraft. From the examples I've seen presented, I can see why they fall into one camp versus the other, but if I were to write a situation, I'm unsure if I would be able to keep myself from accidentally letting simple magecraft accomplish far more than it should. As I understand it, magecraft is something that can be accomplished, in theory, without magical means, but done using magical means. Magic, on the other hand, is something that cannot be done normally, and thuse is only possible through magic. Is this correct? If so, how do they justify all manner of familiars?

JP Friend Code
    591286971/Lead
    “Speaking of which, Nii-san. A wizard and a mage are different things. How can you not know about that when you work for Touko-san?”

Now that I think about it, Touko-san does sometimes say something like that. Something along the lines of how it's convenient to advertise yourself as a wizard rather than a magician as it presents the kind of image that you want, but that those are the titles of two completely different things, or something like that.

“Ah, I did hear that before. But there wasn't much difference that I could see. They both use suspicious magic.”

“Magic and sorcery are different.
    The art we call sorcery, it's definitely something outside our everyday reality. In the end, though, it's still nothing more than making something that is possible normally happen under extraordinary circumstances. Should I give you an example?”

Azaka walked over to Touko-san's desk, then picked up a letter opener that was lying there. A piece of silverware of excellent craftsmanship, it's one of Touko-san’s most frequently handled items.

Taking out an unneeded document, Azaka writes something on it with the knife. Suddenly --- spewing thick clouds of smoke, the document begins to burn away.

“….”

Unable to speak, I just stared at the scene. Touko-san had done something of the like (although on a larger scale) before, but I didn't know what to say at seeing my little sister do that sort of thing.

“--- Stop that. That, is there some kind of trick to it?”

“Of course there is. It might look amazing to someone who didn't know about it, but it's really nothing special. What I did just now doesn’t even qualify as an ability. If you are going to set something on fire, a disposable lighter will do the trick. Whether you do it with a lighter or a finger, the fact that you are setting an object on fire is the same. That kind of thing, it's not miraculous at all, is it? Do you understand, Nii-san? Sorcery is like that.”

Azaka continues on confidently.

In short, magic seems to be equivalent to a substitute good for civilization. No, from what Azaka said, it may be more accurate to say it has been overtaken by civilization.

“Take making it rain, for example. Whether it's through science or magic, the result is indistinguishable. It's just that the method is different; the amount of effort that goes into it is nearly the same. Sorcery may appear to be the work of an instant, but the preparatory steps required are extensive. If you take the time and money spent, it’s nearly equivalent to making the rainclouds with science. In the past, that really was something close to a miracle. By today's standards, however, it's not a miracle or anything of the sort. Previously, any mage that could turn a whole village to ashes was hailed as a wizard, but these days if you have money, that's something anyone can do. All that is required is to throw one missile.”

That method would actually be much faster and more effective, Azaka adds.

“Sorcery is nothing more than making possible through your own strength what can be done now after spending a mind-boggling amount of time on the problem. It might be so even if you look at it academically. Rather than looking/thinking for decades in order to obtain the truth, it might be faster to go to the moon and look/think there. It's frustrating, but sorcery is of the 'taboo ritual'(秘儀 禁忌) type, so it cannot achieve miracles. --- A miracle is something beyond the powers of humanity, isn't it? Something currently unachievable in this world no matter how much money you throw at it. The ones who can make those things are called wizards, and their art, magic.”

Something humans can't do yet. That is magic, is what Azaka said.

“Then, wouldn't there have been more wizards than mages in the past? Since people in those days wouldn’t have had lighters or missiles.”

"You are right. That is why a wizard was a feared figure in the past, and why being one could even be called a job. These days, though, it's different, isn't it? Strictly speaking, they aren't needed, the things called mages. These days, magic itself is disappearing. After all, you can count on your fingers the number of things that are impossible for humanity, can't you? Whatever the case, they say that there are only about five wizards in the world today."

... Sure enough. With those meanings there would be a difference between mages and wizards. If we are talking about things that humanity can't do currently, the only things would be the control of time and space. Seeing the future or the past isn't reliable, but this is a time when such things are becoming possible, so impossibilities really are able to be counted on one hand.

Someday --- humanity will eliminate the very existence of magic. Kind of like how a child, who became a scientist because he was intrigued by a number of events he thought miraculous, loses that sense of wonder as he comes to think of those events as simple phenomena in the course of his research.

"Hmm. In that case, wouldn't the last magic be something like the power to make everyone happy?"
    If you could generate an essentially analogous effect with sufficient time, effort, and resources via science, then it'll be magecraft. With that said, it won't always be equal- there are areas where magecraft is 'better' and areas where science is 'better'. For instance, Aoko mentions that during 20th century warfare, science became better at 'destructive output' than magecraft; the amount of time/resources you need to destroy X thing with science will (generally) be lower than it'll be with magecraft, in the current day.

Magic is something which is 'impossible' for the current humanity. In the old days, this was lots of stuff, like lighting fires, but as humanity rows the unrowable and advanced, 'Magic' which is an impossibility becomes mundanized into science and magecraft. This is why it's said that, in the Age of Gods, 'all magecraft was magic'.

In the modern day, there are only five things left that are called True Magic, three of which we have a roughly decent idea of, one of which we only really have some snippets of info and fun theories, and one of which we know fuck-all about. That number of five is probably related to a comment from Aoko on the 'tasks remaining for humanity', but we don't know much more about that. Also, as has been pointed out, there are things that are still 'impossible' for humanity ("if everyone was happy") that don't fall under the five remaining True Magics a Magician possesses/has possessed.

For all intents and purposes, in writing, if something is not one of those Magics, you're probably fine in having it be accomplished by magecraft. The issue's moreso if the time/resources devoted make sense, if it's one of those nutty effects like teleportation for instance.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    I mean duh
    Actually how is it even a joke, he’s just, like, seriously calling her that
    Calling a perceived promiscuous woman "Whore of Babylon" is a common trope for "puritan" characters, the joke being that Gawain is acting all holier than thou on Nero despite his own... history (though to be fair most of his horndog tendencies along with the rest of the Round weren't written yet). The rest is the 1% "jokes is deepest lore" .
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.