Page 6939 of 7875 FirstFirst ... 5939643968396889692969346937693869396940694169446949698970397439 ... LastLast
Results 138,761 to 138,780 of 157493

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

So on Neros White Bride CE, who is the smile referring to? Hakuno? Gudako?

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    He can qualify for Assassin since in myth you literally have him sneaking up on monsters before taking them out whether through killing them or kidnapping them.

Lancer is probably more an expression of his martial skill, his Nine Lives which he can use with any weapon. Since I don't paticualy recall him wielding any spears.

Though hey maybe they could him the straits of Gibraltar(i.e. the Pillars of Hercules) as a Spear, I wouldn't put it past them though maybe thats to ridiculous
    Seika had a list of the stuff Herc might be able to get in each class
    I remember for Rider there was a cup
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    Seika had a list of the stuff Herc might be able to get in each class
    I remember for Rider there was a cup
    Yeah once Herk sailed on a giant cup gave to him by the sun god Helios when he was doing one of his trials. Fun stuff
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    People have mentioned here before about how the "Ally of Justice" has different connotations than what translating it into "superhero" conveys.

What is the difference again? Something about destroying evil vs preventing damage?

How well does this post mention the differences?:
    Quote Originally Posted by CrossingArcadia, post: 51020290, member: 380215
    If I remember right then it has to do with the fact that American Superhero's are about 'preventing' what happens, they save the day by stopping evil before they can commit their plan or at least before a lot of people are hurt. Because of that its more about prevention at its core, in about stopping damage before it can happen as much as possible.

While in Japan, the idea of Superheroes are about stopping the stuff in progress and decreasing the damage and losses. But because of that loss of life and the damage the villains cause still occur, but it is more about stopping them after they act and decreasing their impact as much as possible, so its less 'prevention' and more 'mitigation'.

Although it has been a long time since I saw that post. So I might be missing something.

What determines divinity? How is it gained?

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Urameshi Yūsuke View Post
    What determines divinity? How is it gained?
    Divinity determines your aptitude to being a Divine Spirit. You gain it from either being born with it or get it from worship whether from reverence or fear.

anywhere than here

Quote Originally Posted by Iceblade44 View Post
    Divinity determines your aptitude to being a Divine Spirit. You gain it from either being born with it or get it from worship whether from reverence or fear.
    So what make a god different from a divine spirit?
    Last edited by Urameshi Yūsuke; September 27th, 2018 at 09:23 AM.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    god is higher being
    I haz a patreon please support onegai:
    clickable fancy banner link

Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Blog Entries
    So what make a god different from a divine spirit?
    What makes a hero different from a heroic spirit?

Blog Entries
    What's a king to a god?
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar
    What is a god to an unbeliever?
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Broly Smash

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Do you believe now?

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by warellis View Post
    People have mentioned here before about how the "Ally of Justice" has different connotations than what translating it into "superhero" conveys.
    What is the difference again? Something about destroying evil vs preventing damage?
    Hmm...I suspect others have explained it better than I can. But as someone who has watched way too much Tokusatsu, I'll give a crack at explaining how I see the difference.

For a "Superhero" ah, I've been playing a lot of that new Spider-Man game that just came out so let's use that as an example. In that game, aside from the story missions where you fight supervillains, you can also solve "street level" crimes that randomly occur such as armed robbery or kidnappings. The game really succeeds at making you feel like a superhero who can arrive at wherever crime is happening in an instant, resolve it and have the crowds cheering you on as you leave. It doesn't matter how mundane the "problem" is or even if it's something that ought to be left to the regular Emergency Services - You even have missions where you hunt down missing pigeons that were displaced from their home and missions where you solve environmental crises such as investigating rising pollution levels and such. It really doesn't matter what it is because you're a superhero who can solve any problem.

On the other hand we have Japanese Tokusatsu, if I had to give the most basic difference it would be that their whole purpose is to "destroy evil" only. You don't typically see a JPN superhero going around and stopping muggings, and if they do they won't transform to do it, that sort of hero work is left to the police. Instead they fight the evil that no regular human can be expected to go against. To give an example I'll use the source of my username - Kamen Rider. Takeshi Hongo was abducted and made into a cyborg by the hands of the shadowy evil organisation "Shocker" that planned to take over the world from the shadows, but for love and for justice Takeshi managed to remember who he was and rebelled against his new masters. And thus the new "Kamen Rider" sought out the members of Shocker and fought them and their evil schemes - straight up killing it's members every time who were also once human, all so that the peace of Japan could be protected. While he did gain a few friends along the way, for the most part Takeshi fought a lonely battle in the shadows without recognition or gratitude from the public. In fact, during the 40th anniversary series there's a character who is a conspiracy theorist and is the one who dubs the hero of that series the name of Kamen Rider based on an urban legend she's been following and shows off a bunch of grainy footage of past seasons on her fan website because the previous heroes and villains have become mythical, never truly understood by the public.

TL;DR
    Superheroes protec, JPN heroes attac.

Hmm...I feel like that explanation wasn't as satisfying as it was in my head. :/
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skull View Post
    Hmm...I suspect others have explained it better than I can. But as someone who has watched way too much Tokusatsu, I'll give a crack at explaining how I see the difference.

For a "Superhero" ah, I've been playing a lot of that new Spider-Man game that just came out so let's use that as an example. In that game, aside from the story missions where you fight supervillains, you can also solve "street level" crimes that randomly occur such as armed robbery or kidnappings. The game really succeeds at making you feel like a superhero who can arrive at wherever crime is happening in an instant, resolve it and have the crowds cheering you on as you leave. It doesn't matter how mundane the "problem" is or even if it's something that ought to be left to the regular Emergency Services - You even have missions where you hunt down missing pigeons that were displaced from their home and missions where you solve environmental crises such as investigating rising pollution levels and such. It really doesn't matter what it is because you're a superhero who can solve any problem.

On the other hand we have Japanese Tokusatsu, if I had to give the most basic difference it would be that their whole purpose is to "destroy evil" only. You don't typically see a JPN superhero going around and stopping muggings, and if they do they won't transform to do it, that sort of hero work is left to the police. Instead they fight the evil that no regular human can be expected to go against. To give an example I'll use the source of my username - Kamen Rider. Takeshi Hongo was abducted and made into a cyborg by the hands of the shadowy evil organisation "Shocker" that planned to take over the world from the shadows, but for love and for justice Takeshi managed to remember who he was and rebelled against his new masters. And thus the new "Kamen Rider" sought out the members of Shocker and fought them and their evil schemes - straight up killing it's members every time who were also once human, all so that the peace of Japan could be protected. While he did gain a few friends along the way, for the most part Takeshi fought a lonely battle in the shadows without recognition or gratitude from the public. In fact, during the 40th anniversary series there's a character who is a conspiracy theorist and is the one who dubs the hero of that series the name of Kamen Rider based on an urban legend she's been following and shows off a bunch of grainy footage of past seasons on her fan website because the previous heroes and villains have become mythical, never truly understood by the public.

TL;DR

Hmm...I feel like that explanation wasn't as satisfying as it was in my head. :/
    Nah, that explanation is great, so don't worry.

The Plesioth Hip Check Of Life Deathhappens's Avatar

TL;DR

Huh, I figured your username came from Persona 5, what with the avatar and all.

On topic though, I think the distinction between AoJ and Superhero is that the former is more Batman than Superman. Not necessarily applauded, sometimes even explicitly an outlaw, pursuing his own sense of "justice". Edgier, if you will.

Actually, I think Boku no Hero Academia and the (criminally) less known spinoff BnHA Illegals makes that point very saliently. Deku and co. at UA High are "superheroes" or in training to become heroes; Koichi/The Crawler and his merry band are "Allies of Justice".
    shit BL says

Quote Originally Posted by I3uster View Post
    It's like with centaur girls, you're fucking a horse. Sure the human part is the one that moans but your dick is in the horse, no way around it.
    boytoy angst > fulfilling life of misanthropic extremist environmentalism
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    ladies, he's single
    Quote Originally Posted by OverMaster View Post
    Yeah, but that's because he's got more issues than National Geographic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Araya's Dry Cleaner View Post
    You can rage, but there is no waifu communism.

You are not getting government-handout waifus.

Once and always and nevermore.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Huh, I figured your username came from Persona 5, what with the avatar and all.
    Considering I made this account several years before Persona 5 was created, that would've been very prescient of me lol.

It actually comes from the wannabe hero "Skull Rider". A dude with no powers who wanted to be a Kamen Rider so he hops on a motorcycle and uses guns instead. Like in this scene from SPIRITS where he and Riderman are gunning down the minions who work for the evil Badan Empire.

Big Pic
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

TL;DR

Thanks for explaining that, it makes sense. So Shirou wanted to become the former, and Archer became the latter.
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrapnel View Post
    Bob the Builder's evil twin.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperial View Post
    HF felt like Nasu holding up a megaphone and screaming, "LOOK AT HOW SAD THIS IS! ISN'T IT SAD? YOU SHOULD FEEL SAD!"

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Altaris View Post
    > Einzbern

> Making smart decisions

Pick one

Spoiler:
    Palingenesis just sounds like we're creating Sarah Palin.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftovers View Post
    >tfw you betray your ideals to get some

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mizukume View Post
    In short, Japan's syncretism BS striked again.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    Curse
    Blessing
    of the Boobs

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    What makes a hero different from a heroic spirit?
    Ah now I get it, a divine spirit is a lesser incarnation of a god.

US Friend Code
    Ah now I get it, a divine spirit is a lesser incarnation of a god.
    Kinda, Less Incarnation of a God, more Ghost of a God. Incarnations of a God whether proper or Divine Spirit is a Bunrei. People like Tamamo is a burned and the other God Servants, though theres some other odd ones like Altera or Ozzy Self-proclaimedly

anywhere than here