Page 7041 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 6041654169416991703170367039704070417042704370467051709171417541 ... LastLast
Results 140,801 to 140,820 of 157511

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    I don't know. Those who want consistency perhaps?
    There's a difference, though, between establishing canon for the sake of having pre-established rules and boundaries within a franchise, and canon for the sake of canon. The latter being the kind I see in this community the most. The "Shinji has green hair in this manga, must be some new mystical parallel world!!" kind. What people who also obsess over making "complete timelines" obsess over.
    It doesn't add to any consistency whatsoever, it adds to mindless and frankly destructive attitude among the fanbase because now you suddenly have arguments about canonicity. It only adds "consistency" in the sense of perceived organization because things get neatly tucked into their own little boxes, which also frankly limits authors.

Like, look at Prillya. Hiroyama literally said "I'm just doing me, don't think too much about it". Now look at the western fanbase arguing over it. It's ridiculous.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

People argue over Prillya?

And about something other than the loli's?????

AND NOT ABOUT POWERLEVELSSSSS????????????????

- - - Updated - - -

this is the darkest timeline

after talking to a friend, i got the idea in my head that fat caesar might be the version of him that worked mostly in the senate rather than his military prime. can anyone confirm or disprove this notion?

US Friend Code
    Cant give any specific info to agree with that one way or the other. If there is anything then it be that Ceasar as Saber is very much focused on his smooth talking ability and silver tongue
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I see. There must be something deeper then as to why Western fans care more about canon then their Japanese counter parts.
    I didn't know about the concept of canon/non-canon until my first foray into the TM fandom.
    The obsession with canon must have its roots somewhere in the type of people that come into anime fandoms and their previous experiences in other fictional universes.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

JP Friend Code
    616288630 tell/pm/whatev
    Blog Entries
    I read Marvel comic first before anime/manga, but many people I have encountered only cares about contradicting events and characterizations. Just like when people criticize Mashu in Agartha for the later.

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    I didn't know about the concept of canon/non-canon until my first foray into the TM fandom.
    The obsession with canon must have its roots somewhere in the type of people that come into anime fandoms and their previous experiences in other fictional universes.
    I dunno, for me the concept just naturally made sense from the beginning, and I have no clue where I got it from. Actually, it may have something to do with the Bible, since the word canon was initially used in reference to which Gospels/Scripture belonged in the New Testament, and later the Catholic Church made use of it to determine which prayers, chants, and hymnals were allowed in service and which weren't.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    In other words, the magical foundation of the Church is to blame? :V
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post
    In other words, the magical foundation of the Church is to blame? :V
    More the mundane parts, but sure. Also, blame Thomas Aquinas to a small extent because he is the one who really introduced Aristotelian logic into Church doctrine/Western European discourse, and thus logic was placed on a premium and inconsistencies were less tolerated. Compare it to the Eastern Church, which remained more mystical in bent and rejected Aristotle in theology.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Also, blame Thomas Aquinas to a small extent because he is the one who really introduced Aristotelian logic into Church doctrine/Western European discourse, and thus logic was placed on a premium and inconsistencies were less tolerated.
    That's not quite right, Peter Abelard did.

If anything, Thomas Aquinas kind of ended up killing that attitude. IIRC, Thomas Aquinas basically was the Peak Scholastic and he was also the one who made it super difficult to follow up with relevant scholsatic method later, which coinceded with the fact that soon after Thomas we enter the Late Medieval crisis which was also intellectual, and the perceived intellectual weakness of scholasticism was one of the chief driving forces behind the rise of humanism.

I had read essays about it, but I can't find them at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.

Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post
    That's not quite right, Peter Abelard did.

If anything, Thomas Aquinas kind of ended up killing that attitude. IIRC, Thomas Aquinas basically was the Peak Scholastic and he was also the one who made it super difficult to follow up with relevant scholsatic method later, which coinceded with the fact that soon after Thomas we enter the Late Medieval crisis which was also intellectual, and the perceived intellectual weakness of scholasticism was one of the chief driving forces behind the rise of humanism.

I had read essays about it, but I can't find them at the moment.
    True enough. I concede your point, but it is still true that Thomas Aquinas is the one who reintroduced Aristotle to Western intellectuals by translating from Arabic the works already translated by Muslim scholars.

Besides, while you may be write as Aquinas being the high water mark of Scholasticism and the beginning of the end for it, all Ockham ended up attacking was the idea of universals and Platonic metaphysics with it, also rejecting the idea that logic could lead to God, not logical consistency itself.
    Last edited by SirGauoftheSquareTable; December 12th, 2018 at 09:38 PM.

Blog Entries
    boy i'd hate to be the wikipedia page for aquinas around now

particularly because the answer to this question has far more to do with wikipedia than it does 13th century scholastics
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

Ozy has imperial privilege and divinity so can he use the imperial privilege to raise his divinity level due to imperial privilege having the capability to give someone without divinity, some divinity.

US Friend Code
    Eh I dont think so, maybe but we never had a precedent for that I think but maybe.
    "Only in my company, will you not be a monster"

anywhere than here

Only person so far that can customize his divinity with IP is Romulus

Unless stated otherwise, other IP users can't or at least we don't know if they can do that

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't Nero's description for IP say that she can give herself Divinity if she wants to? Or was that just something Aksys made up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

I don't think he can really raise his divinity since his divinity already comes from him being "I am the Pharoah see Ra roar."

Otherwise Romulus is special for obvious reasons, although I feel his ability to give others benefits with IP mainly comes from him handing down blessings/being the root of Roma rather than just being really high with IP.

Quote Originally Posted by asterism42 View Post
    Doesn't Nero's description for IP say that she can give herself Divinity if she wants to? Or was that just something Aksys made up?
    Wasnt that more of a tangent that, you can use it to get divinity, but you also suffer the side-effects of having divinity.

- - - Updated - - -

Also dont remember if the difference between Nero EX and Ozy'z A rank imperial priviledge is less skills or lower rank, if the latter, Ozy already has Divinity B

- - - Updated - - -

Heck, we dont even know if Divinity isnt like Oni blood and gets stronger with constant use cuz everyone who has it is supposed to be a unchanging ghost
    Last edited by madarra; December 13th, 2018 at 07:16 AM.