Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3811121314151823 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero's Guide to Riichi/Reach Mahjong ~rules, points, and general discussion~

Blog Entries
    As a side note, I'm usually awake from about 10 pm to 10 am (GMT -5), most days. Hooray for differing time zones and sleep schedules~ ^_^;

Banned
    Blog Entries
    too far away, don't have the money. i'd love to play, but location matters irl... ;_;

and on the note of metagame, I guess it'd be good to actually discuss it in more depth here, though I fear that if we go at it too hard, it might scare off potential players. PM discussions might be best if you really want to grind the metagame here.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    anyone free to play?

Blog Entries
    Blargh. Feeling quite tired, really. And late reply is late anyway.

Still, if we've another able to play, sure. Otherwise, I'ma head to bed.

I wonder how many mahjong players there now are here
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    kenta is willing to take a seat, marth prefers 3P, you and I obviously can play.
    MasterSeth is on the grind, so isn't quite ready yet, but will get there eventually.
    Kyuu seems to know how to play, but I personally haven't seen him play. Geenius3ab seems to also be on the grind, but maybe that's been rectified of late.
    I'm still in touch with Aekari/Emilio and deviousj/doping_panda, so there are definitely enough to get games going. Marth knows a few people, too. There could even be more players that just haven't said anything.
    Last edited by MZeroX; March 18th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mmmm, Thelas is on every now and then. Pretty rare given how busy he is. IIRC he's not a member here, though.

I prefer 3p, but I don't mind 4p either. It's just that usually we only have at most 3 folks on tenhou at once, for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangerang View Post
    I wonder how many mahjong players there now are here
    Personally, I'll be looking to increase that number around the Midwest... by teaching it (to anyone interested). With a couple of partners, I am scheduled to run a mahjong panel at Anime Central geared towards teaching the game, as well as touching up on the history and media (anime) references to the game.

About 3 weeks ago, three people (counting myself) went up to Anime Milwaukee looking to meet up with some mahjong people. It turns out, they play standard Chinese style, and our timing didn't allow us to meet them. Yet, we set ourselves up in the game room and ended up teaching a couple people. Plus, a few who know the game also joined up for a couple rounds.

And that was cool :3

So, if you can, spreading this game would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by [B
    MZeroX[/B]]I personally haven't seen him play.
    I have a couple tenhou game archives in a couple forum threads.
    http://forums.animesuki.com/group.ph...cussionid=1900

If you can see that thread anyways...

In summary, my defensive game needs work, as in, when to go in defense mode. Selecting safe tiles, that's not too much of a problem. But, I'm clingy with tenpai... as in... totally unwilling to bail on them. That gets me into plenty of trouble as well. Playing with real tiles really helps with reading the discards, as you're more self-conscious about losing points in the presence of people, than online; yet, once I allowed myself to play into someone's Dansaigen -- even though, 2 sets of the dragons were pon'd. To that, I LOL'd and was amused. XD

Yet, unfortunately, my Internets can gone down the tubes, where I may have to switch ISPs. I even lag in tenhou for the past week, and it sucks.
    Last edited by Kyuu; March 21st, 2012 at 06:50 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
    In summary, my defensive game needs work, as in, when to go in defense mode. Selecting safe tiles, that's not too much of a problem. But, I'm clingy with tenpai... as in... totally unwilling to bail on them. That gets me into plenty of trouble as well.
    As I've learned the hard way:

Unwilling to bail on tenpai = Loss of points

Well, usually anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
    yet, once I allowed myself to play into someone's Dansaigen -- even though, 2 sets of the dragons were pon'd. To that, I LOL'd and was amused. XD
    Your Dansaigen fail can't be any worse than a match I had where one player managed two freaking yakuman. One of which was Dansaigen. Talk about RNG favoritism. Or luck. Whichever. Point is, it was fail from start to finish. And I didn't even get ronned off of.

Haven't had any matches in some time. Been busy with other stuff. And with spring here finally, lots to do.

Ah, the double yakuman. Felt great scoring one of those babies, despite getting nailed by Tsu Iiso today.

In case you're curious, here are the Yaku hit rates in Tenhou:
    http://tenhou.net/sc/prof.html

The funny thing is: I don't see Su Kantsu anywhere. Its hit rate must be really really low.

Quote Originally Posted by Marth View Post
    As I've learned the hard way:

Unwilling to bail on tenpai = Loss of points

Well, usually anyway.
    Aye. The key thing is to bail hoping to get right back into tenpai, or just giving up all-together. When in the lead, this decision is much easier to make. Otherwise, quite the dilemma playing catch up. Oh teh pain.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    i doubt people even go for suukantsu, since the game is supposed to go to an abortive draw when TOTAL kan count in a hand reaches 4 kans. you need to somehow manage to be the only person to kan, you need four kans, and you need a rinshan. if your hand is extremely easy to get to kans, other players hands are likely to do that as well, since you're more than likely using up numbers necessary for sequences. suukantsu is ridiculous in its requirements for achievement. moreover, sankantsu with dora or other yaku is already buff enough...

No, abortive draw happens on the 5th Kan, when there's no more kan-dora to flip.

The last hand in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_ESOhoweQw
    The player got Su Kansu by normal tsumo, after 3-go arounds. Either way, Su Kansu is definitely ridiculous. It's tough enough getting 3, and it's not even all that common getting 2 kans in a hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCKrh3Ln1RA
    This video is part 2. Another Su Kansu example in the 4th hand. This is probably the most ideal way to score at least San Kansu. Crazy thing: Player probably gave up one yakuman (likely Tsu Iiso) for another.

Quote Originally Posted by MZeroX
    if your hand is extremely easy to get to kans, other players hands are likely to do that as well, since you're more than likely using up numbers necessary for sequences.
    Imagine giving up Su Anko just to go for Su Kansu. That'd be ridiculous. XD
    Last edited by Kyuu; March 22nd, 2012 at 09:19 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    then tenhou is even more relaxed in its rules than I knew, which sort of makes me even less likely to play on there seriously outside of online matches with people I know. The dead wall is 7 tiles long, two deep. The original dora is flipped 3 in, leaving 4 kan dora and kan ura dora behind it, and 4 total tiles in front of it. On the fourth kan, all the dora indicators are flipped, and rinshan refresh tiles are used up. letting a fifth kan happens means no refresh tile is even available--half of the fun of abortive draws on kan limit is that last chance rinshan. knowing that you get 5 kans in a hand means you can really just grind for it in 3P, suukantsu. =_______=
    Last edited by MZeroX; March 22nd, 2012 at 02:31 PM.

Seems that we're both mistaken to some degree.

1. I didn't realize that 4 kans by different players result in an abortive draw. So, I stand corrected on this point.

However:

2. It is not an abortive draw if the 4 kans come from a single player. It'd take a 5th can to apply abortive draw, thus killing the potential yakuman.

This rule is applied not just in tenhou, but in general.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I've played on many different platforms, and I've gone for suukantsu for the lulz. And I've successfully gotten 4 kans as the only player a few times, though I didn't get the rinshan and the game has gone to abortive draw. Maybe it's just a programming error, but I like to think that Tenhou.net is just lax about it, or rules have changed in the past year or two.

Even still, I think the game not ending after every refresh tile has been exhausted and there are no free spaces on the dead wall is pretty stupid, and that's what allowing 5 kans does. Moreover, if you take into account a tenpai hand, a 5th kan without a refresh tile becomes an illegal hand--it is no longer 4 sets and a head. This destroys the very framework that is the basis of mahjong. Sure you go to draw and everything starts over, but it still feels like a direct violation of the fundamental rules that make riichi mahjong, riichi mahjong.

/preferred rule set since i learned by memorizing the bare minimum, and building rules off of that foundation of 4 sets and a head.
    Last edited by MZeroX; March 23rd, 2012 at 12:04 AM.

Yes, I see the logic behind an abortive draw regarding 4 kans applied by different players. But, the exception applied for Su Kansu is part of the standard rule as well, per sources. They all repeat the exception of a 5th kan forcing abortive draw, in the event of a potential Su Kansu.
    http://www.enmv.nl/overzichten/riichisheet.pdf
    http://www.mahjongonline.eu/rules-hands-draws.htm
    http://www.uspml.com/site/downloads/...s_japanese.htm (page 50)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong (though, don't count too much on Wiki, I edit it) :3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong_yaku (and here too)

Su Kansu is virtually impossible without allowing the 5th kan to force abortive draw. It's hard enough just to get to tenpai with it. To let it rely on rinshan for completion makes it even more ridiculously improbable. In any case, this is one hand, that I'd like to get, just because of how rare it is. More so than Tenhou. So, regarding is rarity, y'shouldn't really worry yourself much about it anyways. :3

Anyways, do you fellas happen to use MSN? It'll be a convenient way to get my attention: when y'guys are up for a few games.
    Last edited by Kyuu; March 23rd, 2012 at 04:45 AM.

Blog Entries
    Mmm, I stopped using MSN for much of anything years ago. Only thing I use for chat these days is gmail.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Woah dude, you really linked that many rules sites? I taught myself how to play, so I'm perfectly capable of looking them up. I also qualified my previous posts with admittance that the rule is in effect, but just was voicing my complaints about the rule, due to the way the game is constructed at the general level. Notice the "rules may have changed since I last looked at them". Clearly, they changed. Notice the "I like to think that...". This is how I say "yeah, I know it's wrong, but it doesn't make me feel bad if I believe this". You know, the thing people do in general to have peace of mind?

/yay too busy to reply and maintain thread. i really need to fix that.
    EDIT: suukantsu description in yaku post edited.
    Last edited by MZeroX; March 27th, 2012 at 02:39 AM.

Hehe, I had to just to make sure that I wasn't making that stuff up. :3

In any case, I resume weekly mahjong activity here in Chicago. Also, preparing to do an Intro panel over at Anime Central - looking to teach a few noobs, perhaps; and get more players to this game. As far as tenhou goes, more quality players come out past 3 AM on the random tables and on into the morning (due to Japan time).

Banned
    Blog Entries
    anyone up for a game?