Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 1234712 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero's Guide to Riichi/Reach Mahjong ~rules, points, and general discussion~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    oooh, thanks for the attempt. once/if you get all of them up, i'm gonna try to play this way for a little bit and see if it sits well with me~

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So... I'm gonna go ahead and equate these yaku to names that i recognize.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saradin View Post
    The page is kind of faded, sadly. Plus I don't have a scanner. So I'm giving it my best shot. And I don't know the names, and I'm not going to try to guess them, so you'll get my bad translation of them/description. (There were a ton of kanji that looked like they're outdated, so I just kinda, matched them as best as I could with a list of yaku.)

1) Tsumo->tsumo
    2) No-point hand->probably pinfu or chicken hand. i've seen pinfu labeled as "no other yaku", but i've also seen chicken hand given points, even if its formation is a mess
    3) No terminal/wind/dragon->tanyao
    4) All the same suit + wind/dragons->honitsu
    5) All koutsu->toitoi
    6) All koutsu and all terminal/winds/dragons->honroutou
    7) 3 hidden koutsu->sanankou
    8) 2 koutsu of dragons, the pair is dragon->shousangen
    9) Everything has a terminal/wind/dragon in it->chanta
    10) 3 kan->lol yeah, sankantsu
    11) 123456789 of one suit->itsuu
    12) Victory from the tile drawn when you declare a kan.->rinshan
    13) When someone places a tile down from a previously declared pon to form a kan, and you instead take that tile to win.->chankan
    14) Victory from the last tile drawn from the wall before a stalemate->haitei
    15) Victory from the last tile discarded before a stalemate->houtei
    16) Riichi->riichi
    17) "Other" (1-17 are all labeled as 1 han)->huh?

18) 7 pairs (Worth 100 points)->yay chitoitsu! always the exception.
    19) All same suit, no dragons/winds (Worth 4 han)->chinitsu

Yakuman:
    1) Dealer starts with winning hand->tenhou
    2) Other players wins with first draw->chiihou
    3) Koutsu of all 3 dragons->daisangen
    4) Koutsu of all 4 winds->suushihou
    5) All koutsu, all terminals (including pair)->chinroutou
    6) All wind/dragon->tsuuiisou
    7) 4 concealed koutsu->suuankou
    8) One of every terminal/dragon/wind, and the last one matches any of the others.->kokushi musou
    9) 1112345678999 + any other tile of that suit, all the same suit->chuurenpoutou
    10) "Other"->huh?
    hmmm, this leaves out most of the shuntsu yaku of the style i play. and since everything is 1 yaku, there aren't any han penalties for going open. that makes the game much more call oriented, with riichi being very rare. seems like less suspicions and mind games and more head butting action. higher pace seems natural too. seems like it'll be fun, but with less of an emphasis on keeping your hand closed, so you're less likely to over think and tire out from playing only a few hands. seems great for a little spin. thanks~
    Last edited by MZeroX; September 11th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.

Somebody remind me, how many han does it take to get a counted yakuman?
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    13 han

5: mangan
    6-7: haneman
    8-10: baiman
    11-12: sanbaiman
    13+: yakuman

you can get mangan limit at 3 and 4 han too, but only if your fu count is high enough to compensate; 70+ fu 3 han= mangan, 40+ fu 4 han=mangan.
    Last edited by MZeroX; September 15th, 2011 at 03:27 AM.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And... I just realized that I forgot one of the most common and important parts of the game--how it ends.

There are 2 outcomes to any hand: someone wins, or the game washes out in a draw.

Heavily implied in the previous posts, is someone winning. This means someone completes their hand, and points are awarded. Nice and peachy, this one.

Mentioned in passing but never given a real explanation is a drawn game. So here we go...

Ryuukyoku
    Running out of tiles: Of all of the 136 tiles, 52 are used for making players' hands, and the dead-wall is 14 tiles in total. That means the tiles available to draw during the game number 70. This number does not change. When 70 tiles are drawn and no one has legally declared victory, the game goes to draw. Depending on rules and hand states (tenpai/noten), dealership may or may not change, points may or may not be passed around, and honba count may increase (renchan stick thrown down to continue dealer status). Declaring kan, which allows a draw from the dead wall, does not change the 70 drawn tiles either. If a tile is drawn due to kan declaration, the last tile on the active wall is shifted to the dead wall. This also means that you aren't able to declare kan on the haitei tile. I should probably put a good chunk of this into the kan explanation as well, but that'll happen later.

Kyuushukyuhai: if your hand has 9 or more different terminals and honors, and you have no more than 2 meldable sets (making a chi or pon will give you a set), you can force the game to an abortive draw, tiles rewashed, and seat changed (depending on the rules). Note that this is only applicable DURING the FIRST go-around (no calls made), and can only be called after your first draw, but before a discard. The 9th terminal/honor is allowed to come from the first drawn tile. May not apply in some rules.

Suufontsu: if all players discard the same wind tile during the first turn (no calls made), the hand is treated as a draw with everyone in noten. May not apply in some rules.

Suukansanra: if 4 kans are declared, the game is a draw. The yakuman, suukantsu, is thus impossible if more than one player has declared kan. The game is not declared a draw until a tile has been discarded after the 4th kan, making suukantsu possible only on the rinshan.

Yoninriichi: simply, if all four players have declared riichi, the match is stupid sudden death with no semblance of the desired metagame--so the hand is aborted.

Triple Ron: even simpler, if three players declare ron on the same tile, the game is aborted. may not apply in some rules.
    Last edited by MZeroX; September 18th, 2011 at 10:14 PM.

Huh, haven't heard of the triple ron rule before. Is that apply for Tenhou?
    <Satehi> I, satehi, thought of tentacles first for entirely inappropriate, disgusting, lewd and perverted reasons

Honk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    dunno, haven't seen it happen on tenhou to confirm. i should probably add that that rule also is dependent on accepted/denied rules.

Blog Entries
    I admit I've never actually played this game, though the rules look interesting. Is it difficult to learn?

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Not terribly hard, just takes some getting used to.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    it's basically rummy/poker, but with tiles instead of cards.

Blog Entries
    Huh. Have to admit I've never played poker before.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    That may actually make things easier. You won't be as inclined to make assumptions.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, the general idea of hand formation is related to concepts that poker and rummy both use, but the scoring system is different. I just like saying it's similar to poker or rummy because they're both relatively easy conceptually, and all of the difficulties arise from player-borne metagame. Mahjong is the same thing. It's just a matter of learning the basic ideas of hand formation, then what formations lead to wins. Everything after that is player-player interaction, and metagame variations depending on rules for very obscure happenstance (which can mostly be ignored, since they rarely happen).

夜魔 Nightmare
    Back when my parents tried to convince me to play Chinese mahjong with them, they would compare it with those two games, which confused me to no end since I had never played either of them.

Now that I play Riichi mahjong a bit more, I'm still confused to no end, but at least I have a general idea of what gets you more points.

Blog Entries
    *slams through the topic door*

Jesus FUCK, I understand now.

It's like wearing a literal mask of mahjong stupidity all my life, then taking it off and seeing how simple it all was.

Only took me two weeks and endless grinding. XD

Also...

*casts Revive on the topic*

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    *brofist* Once you get it Mahjong's pretty fun. It just takes a little time for everything to fall into place.

Blog Entries
    I still don't much understand the scoring. So many goddamn numbers. Makes my head hurt. ;__;

*brofist returned*

Banned
    Blog Entries
    YES, MORE CONVERTS. ZERO IS PLEASED.

but yeah, the scoring. it's pretty dumb, that's why i made separate posts for the scoring from the instruction post.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    After some discussion and some interest enough for new players, this thread being sticky'd in order to help set up online matches seems like a good idea. It's easier to see when people are available if the thread doesn't keep getting thrown into the far recesses of the wash.

And hopefully, this will also spark some interest in the even newer members who have never seen this thread before.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Holy shit, Zero with the sticky? Well done sir.