Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero's Guide to Riichi/Reach Mahjong ~rules, points, and general discussion~

Blog Entries
    As I said before: Well, that was kinda like being violated in a dark alley. XD
    Still fun though. :3

Mine, here: http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012021505g...-914e1c0f&tw=1

Fear my indecision, and watch as it ruins me! -_-

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    KENTA doesn't know how to do those. He does know, however, that Zero's Tsumo's killed him dead.

Blog Entries

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The first thing to realize is how three player and four player are different from each other.

First of all, the lack of the the manzu suit. the ones and nines are left in for the sake of kokushi musou, but 2-8 of that suit is wholly violated. This reduces the amount of the possible shuntsu, so the games tend to gravitate more of the koutsu set. As such, as seen here, it is helpful to aim for either toitoi, or fanpai hands--ones that cooperate with calling pon or kan without messing up your hand value too much. Also note that chii cannot be called. as such, pushing for a shuntsu style yaku is not generally the best of ideas if you're still in the early stages of hand building.

Second, the pei dora. since there is a missing seat wind (due to lack of a fourth player), that excess wind is considered a dora. so that you don't recalculate it every hand switch, the north dora was decided upon howeverness. This becomes a huge factor in three player. There is an abundance of koutsu, so kans being declared is normal. There are additional north wind doras. Moreover, there are red doras. Three player is then a dora landmine field--going for quick hands and focusing on dora sets is basically all you can do if you don't want to be raced into the ground.

Third, same as normal mahjong. sometimes, you just don't draw what you need. Nothing you can do here but try to play statistics, or look at ponds and hope you spot a pattern that you can use.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Thanks, now everyone can see my poor decisions~

There were two separate times in that game where I went "I just did something. I don't know what, but it was something."

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think you were referring to the north dora declarations. those are kinda confusing if you haven't played three player before. how you went for fanpai often is extremely good in three player, though. previous post says why, but it was still a good decision. Well, when you declared the east pon in south round when you weren't dealer confused me, but the overall action was good.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, that last riichi I got? Total fucking bomb on my part.

"Let's riichi and hope they drop a two-pin I need to complete my hand, hurr-durr."

...and so KENTA does. Thanks, man.

;__;

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Kenta with that honitsu in south 1 scared me. with two pons and a north dora, i thought he also had a toitoi. i was scared, since my hand was pretty much solid, and stuck in a state where danger tiles are everywhere. i was a bitch to a the draw, and only luck stopped me from not discarding into him. ^^;

we should definitely play again. (i'm okay with right now, but i understand if you want to look over each other's hands first, and try to sort your strategies first.)

Blog Entries
    That match...was not my best moment, that's for certain. I second-guessed myself and ended up taking apart one of my hands. I really need to stop doing that. =/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    yeah, i think of it this way--in mahjong, the only thing that is certain are the things in front of you. So your own hand, and your own discard pile. And since we're playing online, the revealed dora indicator. Opponents' discard piles may have some sort of impromptu camouflage, so they aren't as reliable, above their face value. in that case, the only things you can have rightful confidence in are your own hands. So don't second guess yourself.

Blog Entries
    It's a self-confidence thing, really. ;_;

And I'm seeing one of you waiting in one match, and one in another? XD

EDIT: I'm nomming chocolate and chilling. If you folks want to do more matches, I'm all set. If not, I'll wander back to lobby 0 probably.

EDIT 2: Unless that's the same person in both rooms. Never thought of that until just now.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    Maybe later, but right now I'm mahjong'd out. Doesn't take much to do that to me. Should be good in a few hours if you guys will still be up/here.

Blog Entries
    I'll be up, but I don't know if I'll be online or not. Should be, though.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    i enter both rooms; the only difference is that the top one has a 10 second wait period +5 after draw, and the bottom one has a 5 second wait period +5 second after draw. if you wait long enough, the initial wait is reduced, though your +5 seconds per draw isn't. but yeah, if kenta is mahjong'd out, and no one else is willing, then we should wait for him to recover.

Blog Entries
    Alright, I'ma wander back to lobby 0 and do some more matches, then.
    If you need me, chuck me a message or something.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries
    I love it when Marth and Zero ruin my hands.

Blog Entries
    What the fuck, guys? I wasn't supposed to win that! Stop ruining my expectations, dammit!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    And Marth pulls victory from the jaws of defeat!
    http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012021510g...-aed24b59&tw=1
    poor kenta.

Space Conquistador
    Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    That was wholly unexpected. See, when I go into these matches, I fully expect to get roflstomped by Zero (and possibly KENTA), not pull a win out of my ass. -_-

KENTA's: http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012021510g...-aed24b59&tw=0

Zero's: http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012021510g...-aed24b59&tw=1

Mine: http://tenhou.net/0/?log=2012021510g...-aed24b59&tw=2